home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. cubiksrube

our existence is not based on facts

July 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  2. Buddy R

Thankfully not a single founding father was an atheist. Most were devoted Christians. It is the Christian principle that all men are created equal and derive their rights from God that made America the land of liberty. Atheism resulted in oppressive lands, like the USSR and communist China.

July 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • SCAtheist

Do you know what Deism is?

July 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Chris

The founding fathers did not believe that "all men were created equal".

July 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • open2it

It was enforced atheism, the state's desire to have no other guiding influence on its people other than itself, that governed/governs those nations, not atheism itself.

July 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Darryn Cooke

If all are equal, then how does Christianity explain the crusades?

July 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • apostate

There was no equality. That statement excludes women, natives, black people, and any commoner white man who didn't own a big piece of land.

July 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • 4mercy

Darren, Google history of the crusades and EWTN...look for the article on research which dispels the myths of the Crusades.

"The Crusaders were not unprovoked aggressors, greedy marauders or medieval colonialists, as portrayed in some history books.

In fact, Thomas Madden, chair of St. Louis University's history department and author of "A Concise History of the Crusades," contests that the Crusaders were defensive wars, not wars of conquest. " Much more of his work is available in EWTN's archives.

July 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • 4mercy

Sorry – meant "Darryn"

July 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  3. Alberto

Pathetic. They don't know what awaits them at Judgment.

July 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • apostate

Vishnu? Thor? Osiris?

July 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Chris

More proof that your religion is completely based on fear.

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Jon

Zeus, Ra, Quetzalcoatl?!

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Lee Vardough

I know what awaits us after death. You wanna know what that is? Nothing. You don't have evidence to the contrary do you?

July 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  4. Ariana

And by the way, it's about time Atheists did something like this. Every other religions does, I don't see why they didn't do this sooner. Atheism makes more sense than any other religion, not to mention, they don't shove it down your throat like all these crazy religious nut posters are trying to do.

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Hypocrite Hunter

Wow, flying ads aren't "shoving it" down our throat? Atheists are a prime example of why we need a better education system. They don't even know the meaning of the word hypocrite.

July 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • JThomas2121

True, but Atheism is not a religion. It's a lack of belief in anything. I mean, what's the point of life, of living, of doing anything that requires hard work and sacrifice if it's all for naught? Empty, hollow people blame the world for their misery and blame a God they can't fathom for all the wars and heartache around the world. Too bad for them that God never killed anyone, Men and women in the name of God have, but the first commandment said it all: Thou shalt not kill. That didn't mean thou shalt not kill except during times of war or in self-defense or some other justified means. It meant don't kill. Period.

Jesus taught us to love one another, neighbors and enemies alike. What was so wrong about that?

July 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Ted M.

There's nothing wrong with banners or other forms of free speech.
      The "forcing down our throats" part is where every religious group with enough money to bribe legislators finds many reasons to violate the Constltution and create laws based on their religious beliefs.
      That's ramming and shoving – when you make your crazy nonsense into a law. Atheists don't do that. We aren't making the only law that would qualify, a law that says there is no proof for god. Not much of a threatening law, is it? More like a declaration. Not too likely to happen, either.

July 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • dustl

JThomas2121,
      You truly are ignorant. Atheists aren't hollow or nihilists or live life devoid of meaning. On the contrary, many of us do good and love others for the sake of it, not because we are trying to appease someone to get into heaven.

July 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Atheism is not a religion. It's a lack of belief in anything."""

You're half right. It is NOT a religion. And geez, HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY THIS???????????

But it's not the lack of belief in "anything". That's just silly.

July 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  5. Jesus Christ Our Savior

this is great. religion is for insecure followers. u dont need religion to do good deeds and u don't need religion to be patriotic. keep the banners flying!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • johnny orlando

Yet another moron who feels like he is special and intelligent...no wonder we are 17th in world in education.

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • JThomas2121

'Religion' may be, but faith is for those who are strong within. Unfortunately, more so-called 'believers' are insecure. I'm not. But for those who THINK they know Jesus, he taught compassion, understanding, acceptance, and love for your fellow man, neighbor, and enemy alike. He taught us to do good deeds without seeking acknowledgment. When was the last time an atheist did anything without trying to have his or her name in the paper?

July 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • SCAtheist

We're way down the list in education and hmmm the countries at the top don't have a lot of Christians

July 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • JC

Another dropout.

July 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""When was the last time an atheist did anything without trying to have his or her name in the paper?"""

Since it's never actually reported in the paper, I guess I'd have to say the atheists are doing it all the time.

July 4, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  6. Alex in NJ

I am an atheist. I believe in Separation of Church and State. However the sad fact is most atheists are about as tolerant as the KKK. Atheists by and large are arrogant, hateful, and spiteful people. Why is it we must be tolerant of everything except the religious?

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • apostate

Fixed

"However the sad fact is most Christians are about as tolerant as the KKK. Christians by and large are arrogant, hateful, and spiteful people."

July 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • swannee

Not that you're into blanket statements. Do you now all of us?

July 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • pdfsmail

Nice, this is part of my point... atheist / christian (or other god fearing).. when it comes down to it you both act the same... intolerant, arrogant, hateful, and for some reason you just cant accept that someone else believes differently than you... and that arguing over it will really help things... I think you both are wrong for believing something that has no cold hard 100% undeniable facts.. no theories.. no scripts... just all fact...

July 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

"God-less in America" and "Atheism is patriotic".

Alex, please point out to me the PARTICULAR parts of those messages that you consider to be "arrogant, hateful, and spiteful".

July 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • dustl

Uh, funny then how the KKK were christians, and that their cross burnings were them glorifying their God.

July 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  7. Jules

I do not believe that morality is exclusive to religion. I do not need a code, each religion has it's own, to show me how to be a moral, kind, compassionate person. That places a human in the position of being reactive, not responsible. We all have free will. When you say that morality is exclusive of religion, that is ignorance. When you combine a discussion of religion, morality and politics-just plain madness. They are incongruent, yet so many people choose to go down this path. I'll never comprehend it.

July 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  8. Delat

People that are religious spout off about it continuously and publicly. "I thank God for giving me the strength", "I prayed to God for help", etc. Plus there's the bumper stickers, "Jesus saves", "Praise the Lord", "The bible says....".

Atheists are generally pretty quiet about it, so I think the flying banner is rather amusing and a nice turnabout. You'll never see a billboard on the street saying, "There is no God", next to the ones saying, "Christ loves you", but they're both equivalent in terms of proclaiming what you believe.

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  9. ME

This is why I don't like atheists. They are worse than fundamentalists when it comes to trying to impose their beliefs on others. Look at the one sign "God-LESS America". Separation of church and state was not aimed at making America godless. It was aimed at not imposing any singular religous belief on all. If an aethist wants to be an atheist, fine. But when they begin trying to promote "God-less" america, then they are trying to impose their beliefs on me. Worse than fundamentalists...

July 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • apostate

I hope you are equally outraged at all of the religious signage across the country.

July 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • You're Not Me! I'm Me!

So when atheists excise their freedom of speech, they are trying to impose their beliefs on you, but when everyone else – including you here now – exercises their freedom of speech, it's okay.

July 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Jon

I think you missed the pun on 'God Bless America.'

July 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Dan

So you are a bigot then? hating people because of what they believe.

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Chris

In all honesty, this is the first time I've ever seen anything from an Atheist sect with regard to gaining awareness. It seems as though I can't turn on my television without seeing an ad trying to soften the image of the Mormons. It's difficult to drive through rural America without coming across a bilboard talking about Christianity. Why are people so afraid of Atheisim? I find it to be quite a liberating belief and motivating to be a more moral person personally...

July 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  10. Aaron

As stated in the Bible. “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name." Mathew 24:9

July 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Damon

Way to act like the victim when the 15% of the population (atheists) is the most discriminated minority in the United States and when we finally decide to speak out, it's all about you being hated. Nice... no one hates you. This is not a Christian nation, sorry. Whether you like it or not, the founding fathers were deists and most were specifically against the Judeo-Christian idea of a god. I don't expect you to believe that, considering how gullible you were to accept an ancient translated translations of revised translations of written stories heard by word of mouth for at least 60 years after the actual events, all in one little book that covers most of its bases. "You will be discriminated. Don't listen to the truth because it's a lie. Thinking for yourself is evil. Listen to book. Book know all."

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  11. Justin

I am a christian, I believe in God. I beleive that our country was founded on christian principles with God's influence and the state of the moral decay in our society today is a direct result of moving away from God. For all of you athiests out there I will put it to you in a very logical point of view because this is how you seem to think, if I live my life for God and I am wrong I have nothing to lose, but if I am right you have everything to lose.

July 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Jon

Unless Islam is the one true religion... then you're in the same boat as us, sorry.

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Chris

So Chris, your religion is based on the fear of being wrong?

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • apostate

Pascals wager is a failure. If you are wrong you'll still might have to answer to any number of thousands of gods humans have ever believed in like Thor, Shiva, etc. Your odds are still very bad.

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • HotAirAce

Here we go again with Pascal's Wager...

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Chris

I meant *so justin*

July 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • JC

If your parents didn't label you as a Christian, you would be something else or may be agnostic by choice.
      Its just by accident that you are born in this country, if you were born in middle east, you would be following Islam right now.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • NRen2k5

That’s Pascal’s wager, and it’s terribly flawed. For example, what if there is a God, but your beliefs and behavior are totally out of whack with his standards for admission to Heaven? Oops.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • kevin

So you are living out of fear. Fear that you will go to hell if you do not believe in these things. I don't know about you, but I am a slave to truth and I would never live my life in a lie. You're right it does take some bravery to forsake your religion that you were taught since you were young. You are advocating cowardice.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Ariana

You know, to shove your religion down someone's throat is VERY immature and sad. Let people believe what they want. it's not harming you any.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • I_get_it

Justin,

I'm really tired of explaining Pascal's Wager to you guys. Look it up. It's quite old and worn out.

July 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Tim

Justin, seriously? Pascal's wager, eh? It was pathetic when it was first proposed, and hasn't gotten any more strength in it's myriad retellings. No, you haven't likely gained anything, because you have no idea what the gods would expect. If it's a Norse god, then anything less than dying valorously in battle would gain you no favor. If the god was Satan, or Loki then only malicious acts would gain you favour. In other words, respecting the ONE god would almost definitely be to your eternal detriment. Assuming that Ra, Hathor, Set, Loki, Odin, Thor, Zeus, Kronos, Rea, Kali... and all the rest are just as likely, then by worshipping ONLY your one god means that you have a mere 1 in 8000+ chance of being right. And then you are assuming that your understanding of your one god is correct, and come on, the odds of that are miniscule as well.

If you live a good life, being a good person, then who cares what the gods think?! If they find you lacking after that, then the god(s) were/are evil.

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Brown

I wish you righteousness and true wisdom. An atheist needs a pain killer instead.

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • dustl

Justin,
      You're missing a third scenario, which is: there is a God, but he isn't Christian. Then you're screwed.

On a second note, I've always found it funny when christians give the reasoning that you're better off worshipping Jesus, because it's better safe than sorry. So then I suppose one's heart is never truly devoted to the teachings of Jesus, and is only going through the motions out of fear and confusion. Versus, say, someone who is good and kind to others for the sake of it. If jesus exists, he will understand this and the truly good, versus the truly ignorant will be sorted out in the end (and again, good doesn't equate with being dunked into water when one was an infant).

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • open2it

About that moral decay...I wonder exactly how many of the people involved in scandals, including politicians and corporate leaders, claim Christianity as their faith and how many claim to be athiests. I realize that "claim" is the key word here and that a true Christian would be less likely to engage in such amoral behavior, but my point is I know of (and that certianly doesn't mean there aren't any) no professed athiest involved in such matters. Of course, this may be due to the fact that I also no of no professed athiest in these high-level positions to begin with.

July 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

There are so many refutations of so many different aspects of Pascal's Wager available on the web that the only people who can, at this point, be unaware of them are the ones who think that ignorance is something to be proud of.

July 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  12. Brent Slensker

When I see someone post "Jesus Loves You!" I see the same thing as this, "SCREW you you unbeliever, SUBMIT to my will and believe as I do!...or you will go to hell...
    and maybe I will start to feel VERY sorry for myself since I realize I have lived an unexamined life and have NEVER even considered the possibility that maybe PEOPLE make up GODS and that I'm really just an incredible annoyance whose time has passed !!!"

July 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • open2it

It is sad that you see such hatred in a message of love. Perhaps that billboard has a highly reflective surface.

July 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Frogist

@Brent Slensker: I don't think I see the same thing as you. But I do see something similar. I realise that to a Christian recognising Jesus' love for all is just about the best thing in the world. And who can argue with that? Who doesn't want an all-encompassing love? But I do wonder why it's on a billboard or bumper stickers or T-shirts. It seems a little like a declaration that "We are Christians and we have a superior knowledge of love that you do not." That's reflected here by Christians who post about how their love is better or more accurate than someone who disagrees with whatever the topic is. It's the same as "I'll pray for you" which is not about love so much as trying to make your position seem stronger by claiming the backing of god.
      Personally, I doubt Jesus would be ok with the showy nature of these billboards etc. I would think he would have wanted people to show their love by actions, deeds, living their love, rather than by commercializing it or using the declaration of it as some kind of bragging rights.

July 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  13. Randy

Who cares? I could understand if atheists were persecuted in this country. But this is all about getting attention. Vast sums of money spent on advertising. This is the religious equivalent of an obscure B-movie star getting a mention on Entertainment Tonight. I wonder who their publicist is?

July 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  14. @bailee and all atheists that they maybe driven back to their senses

Atheists comprises 10% of American populace but only 2-3% globally.

July 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • docguy

but 90 to 95% of the members of the american academy of science are atheists or agnostics. Studies have shown that the deeper the religious conviction, the lower the IQ and educational level (all faiths).

July 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • JC

Did religion get us to moon?
      The numbers are much higher, majority of scientists and scholars are agnostic or atheist.
      Last time i remember Christianity told us that the Earth was flat and Sun and stars revolve around it.

July 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • jeron

Christians make up about 70% of America's population but one 1/3 of the worlds.... Also atheists make up 16% of the worlds population making it the third largest held belief. Judaism has less then 1% of the worlds population as followers... Where are you getting your facts. I cross referenced mine with CIA factbook, and Adherents.edu.

July 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Roger

That certainly explains such humans as St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, Sir Isaac Newton, and many others. All devout Christian and yet some of the most brilliant individuals in the history of mankind.

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • jq-DoL1

Vast majority of people in China are non-religious, atheist, or agnostic.
      Where do you get "2–3% globally"?

July 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • JThomas2121

Well, docguy, I have a 156 IQ, understand quantum physics, advanced mathematics, and choose to believe in God. Why? Because with all the scientific theories to explain how everything began and how we got here, they are just theories. I believe in most of it, but there are holes in everything and giant steps in evolution that science has yet to explain with any empirical facts. I also know a lot of people who have incredible high IQs who believe in God. Actually, in my experience, it's more often the lower IQ tends to be unable to grasp the immenseness of an Almighty presence in the universe or even in their life.

But you stick to your fantasies if it works for you.

July 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • dustl

JThomas2121,
      Anybody that brags about their IQ on an anonymous comments board is an idiot (in the clinical sense). AS somebody who has an amateur interest in astronomy and the universe, I for one acknowledge there are things outside our grasp that we as humans, will never fully be able to comprehend. Perhaps this is where you may be partially coming from, but the way your post is worded would make any educated man deduce you as a moron.

Secondly, you say
      "Actually, in my experience, it's more often the lower IQ tends to be unable to grasp the immenseness of an Almighty presence in the universe or even in their life."
      That's hilarious that you say that and I would speculate the bounds of your "experience" is that of a shoebox. Religion is a pill meant to alleviate fear, confusion, and ignorance of the masses.

July 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> but 90 to 95% of the members of the american academy of science are atheists or agnostics.

Most of them are agnostic atheists. Agnostic means no knowledge of god. Atheist means no belief in God. You can be both.

Most people who say they're "agnostic" are actually atheist. The word generally is misunderstood.

July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • open2it

JC,
      It was Christian leaders, not Chritianity itself that held/enforced those beliefs.

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • I_get_it

Roger,

Augustine says (De Civ. Dei xv): “Many persons affirm that they have had the experience, or have heard from such as have experienced it, that the Satyrs and Fauns, whom the common folk call incubi, have often presented themselves before women, and have sought and procured intercourse with them. Hence it is folly to deny it."

Isaac Newton was hugely into the occult, numerology and alchemy.

Only their *proven* hypotheses should be accepted.

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Lee Vardough

JThomas2121: You have an IQ of 6000 and you don't know the meaning of a Scientific Theory?

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Well, docguy, I have a 156 IQ, understand quantum physics, advanced mathematics, and choose to believe in God."""

And you're a liar and a boorish boaster. Even Feynman said he didn't understand quantum physics. You don't either.

I also seriously doubt you "chose" to believe in god.

But this doesn't matter as intelligence isn't really the issue. Cultures indoctrinate their children with religious mythology at an early age. It's up to you to educate yourself and develop a better understanding of the world as it is instead of clinging tenaciously and unquestioningly to the bronze age beliefs ingrained in you as a child.

July 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • nursegurl

Doc you meant to say that AAS only has 20 students?

July 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Christopher Armstrong

Nope, but it can send heaven. And yes, Christopher Columbus was a Christian. Just in case you don't know him, he was just the one who proved the theory of (Galileo) your great grandfather had failed to prove.

July 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  15. jeron

This is such a non-issue. Who really cares the people who planned this are doing zero harm to anyone. If a religious person is upset over this; then I would recommend that they become more comfortable with their beliefs. All that is going on here is people publicly stating their beliefs; which is what this nation is all about. The sun wont turn red and a third of the earth will not be burnt because of this.... I really believe that people who are upset about this are just a bunch of evangelicals who will not be happy unless the rest of us believe exactly what they believe; would they be this upset if the banner said America is a Hindu nation; Krishna bless the USA?

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  16. JC

This is probably the last generation of religious followers. It is fading away with time.

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • ATLmatt

Lets hope. Sooner the better.

July 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Dan

Good. Then the Cold War's last grip on our nation's values will finally be released.

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Jeanine

Let's hope! Enough with the Christians and the politicians using it in their political platforms. One look no further than Michelle Bachmann's comments this past week. "i'm on a mission from God" is a line from The Blues Brothers meant to be funny.There are politicians talking to God!? God is telling them what to do!

July 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • cubiksrube

the future generation will no longer exist.
      they will just be meat robots interacting online

July 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • cubiksrube

Future generations will not exist.
      They well be meat robots interacting online.

July 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • apostate

Meat robots with higher IQs

July 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

That would be nice, wouldn't it? Sadly, they thot the same thing back in the age of Robert G. Ingersoll (late 19th Century), but Christianity is like kudzu and just won't go away.

July 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  17. Jules

I am an atheist. I would never propose cramming my beliefs down someone else throat. In fact, I do not bring it up. My Christian acquaintances have no qualms about trying to convert me, once they discover my choice. I always respect theirs, since I wouldn't want to state my case and then have someones whole belief system shattered at my doing. It's a very individual journey. Mine came to light as I educated myself about several religions, and came up with more questions than empirical evidence. I've read the Case for Christ, and many other religious texts, including the Bible. I think the banner are just an awareness campaign. Do you know how many references are in our culture with regard to Christianity? Atheism- it is the last taboo for conversation. Most of my workplace are Southern Baptist, and I have to dodge questions about it all the time. Live and let live, that is true freedom! Happy Independence Day!

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  18. thehand

Hey,
    THe athiests can do whatever they wish to do... Yes, perhaps they will have a problem getting a pilot, that's the individual pilots perogative also.

I wish CHRISTIANS would stand up and state their belief that ALL OTHER RELIGIONS are FALSE and the works of SATAN!

That's what most of them believe... than there is the "grey area" where they see Jesus Christ as their savior and all... but, won't go as far as saying a budhist who is good is outright going to hell.

It's just amazing... FEAR, FEAR and FEAR again! It's what drives many lives. JUST think of it an all LOVING Father GOD who casts solus to HELL for eternity! Really, oh yea... what an addiction and a CULT. THat only me... to logical... isn't it. Oh yea, the arguement that we all have the same ultimate freedom to CHOOSE to accept Jesus Christ is totally bogus. Yes there is free choice, but it's no absolute! We all come into this world with certain capacities or leanings that we inherit from our parents, not to mention how the people we come into contact shape us! SEEMS pretty LOGICAL huh?

July 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • JC

All religions are false including yours. You have lost touch with reality.

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • jeron

Well it sounds like you and two other people will enjoy heaven, while the other billions of people are in hell.... Just saying you'll probably turn to sodomy when the picking get thin up there... lol

July 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • cubiksrube

@JC What reality exactly? *yours*? You're not even there... at least, you have no effect on the known universe whatsoever.

July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  19. ATLmatt

Pilot was an atheist but wouldnt fly with this banner because he didnt have a bullet proof vest??? Nothing seems to go together like bibles and guns. "...One Nation. Indivisible With Justice for All." I think we should be more godless in this country and i am very patriotic.

July 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • ATLmatt

"...One Nation. Indivisible With Liberty and Justice for All."

pardon... i cant type as fast as i think...

July 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  20. Bob

Science flies you to the moon.

Religion flies you into buildings.

July 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Willard

Well-played, sir.

July 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Kevin Carney

Agreed. Well said!

July 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • deuce

I see what you did there...

July 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Phil

Love it!!!!!!!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • Jeanine

perfect! thank you!

July 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Another monkey sibling who uses multiple handle

There (atheists) they go again, the same old tactics of the same old school.

July 4, 2011 at 4:32 pm |