home
RSS
July 4th, 2011

Atheists explain flying ad campaign

On the Fourth of July across the U.S., American Atheists are taking to skies with a flying banner ad campaign.

They will be flying over busy holiday hot spots like beaches and parks with banners that read: "Atheism is Patriotic" and "God-LESS America."

Some pilots balked and would not fly the banner ads.

Justin Jaye of Fly Signs Aerial Advertising, told the Belief Blog last week,  "I've been in this business for 20 years and I've never run into so much resistance on people flying," Jaye said. "I've had pilots who are actual atheists who said, 'Justin, I am an atheist and I won't fly it because I can't wear a bulletproof vest.'"

In the video above, Rick Wingrove from the Virginia chapter of American Atheists explains to CNN's T.J. Holmes more about the campaign and why they picked the Fourth of July.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner • Faith • TV-CNN Newsroom • United States

soundoff (1,760 Responses)
  1. thehand

Consider this on MORALITY and the ATHEIST
    A person that doesn't believe in GOD and leads a moral life are doing it for NO PERSONAL gain. THey don't reap any benfit... if you factor in this wole hell/heaven thing. They are that way because they no that being good, honest and virtuos is itself the right thing to do.

July 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • TB

The true meaning of altruism!

July 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • just me

who determines what is good and what is bad?

July 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  2. James

Religion keeps the poor from murdering the rich. – Napoleon

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  3. jecky

LOLL@ all the deluded Christians who pretend that their personal Sky-god is the only alternative to atheism.

And BTW Atheism is just acknowledging the fact that there is no direct proof for a creator, not the outright denial of Yahweh and his zombie son, the ancient Norse gods, Greek gods, Hinduism, etc...

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Donna

You are incorrect and confusing atheism with agnosticism. Atheism makes no claim about proof whatsoever, it is simply the belief that there is no deity (which is an outright denial of Yaweh, etc), or a lack of belief in a deity (which is a more passive denial).
      Agnosticism refers to the belief that we cannot prove nor disprove the existence of a deity. But a person can be an agnostic atheist or even an agnostic deist.

July 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
  4. Jesus Christ Our Savior

Christianity – the belief that a cosmic jewish zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...yeah, makes perfect sense. (i'm actually a patent attorney so the remarks about my education are meaningless).

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • TB

Don't forget the wine part, So, drinking blood on Sundays is cool if a blessing is added, but otherwise you're a member of the "undead", a vampire.

Either way, can I have another glass of the O-positive. Parker gave it a 92...

July 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  5. Boruch N. Hoffinger

Atheism has no intellectual basis or credibility.
    Firstly check this out:
    Also Roger Penrose's finding about a 'chance universe.'
    'Atheism' is merely an emotional inclination composed of either
    uneducated or rebellious individls with nothing better to do than to make headlines and waste money.
    Give the money to a good charity.
    Also check out: 'The 7 Noahide Laws.'

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • just me

@Tom M: I am not afraid of my God. Seems like you are, though. Fear comes from things unknown. Maybe try reading a Bible and form your own opinion instead of opinions of others. You would be surprised how much of your daily life is affected by the words of the Bible. ever heard the saying "the handwriting is on the wall" try Daniel 5:25-28.

July 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • ed

LOL – But believing in fairy tales does? Atheism is the earmark of intelligence, those who are not fooled by the lies of our parents.

July 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • TB

Right, and Disney World is reality. How sad your thoughts are...

July 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Can't explain where the Universe came from? Don't feel bad, neither can anybody else.

But that sure doesn't mean we should blindly accept whatever bizarro woo-woo story the 1st con artist comes along with.

In science, "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer. In religion, it's a mark of apostasy, which in a different era could have cost you your life.

July 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  6. RichardSRussell

If you're just joining us, please be advised that the poster known as cubiksrube is the living incarnation of Poe's Law.

July 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  7. 3vix6

I wish there was more awareness about the dangers of Religion and more knowledge distributed about how the Bible really came to be. How the first book written, "Mark" was written 40 years after Christ would have died. How Jesus Christ is no different than other mythical figures that came before him. How the fairy tales told can't be proven.

In some ways, I disagree with the idea of flying the planes around cities. I think doing things like putting warning labels on Religious texts claiming that "What is in this book has never been proven and could be false" would be a good start. Almost like the FDA warnings on dietary suppliments or the Surgen General warnings on Cigarettes and Alcohol.

Once Christianity has died, Islam, who highly regards Jesus Christ and has some very close parallels in terms of the creation myth, shouldn't be too far behind.

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Jon

The emergence of global communication and an anonymous forum where ideas must stand solely on their merit basically spells doom for all religions. Just a matter of time.

July 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Buddy R

July 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Buddy R

Ah, I meant, "these two-thousand years."

July 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • 3vix6

You're absolutely correct Jon! 🙂

@Buddy R:

"The irrational religion of atheism has always been quite tiny and is in worldwide decline. There is nothing at all rational about atheism. Christianity has survived physical assaults and lies hurled at it these two centuries. Christianity will not be destroyed by anti-theists."

Atheism is not a religion.. Those who are religious are can only see things as "everyone belongs to a religion" and "everyone belongs to a political party". We may be a small group, but there are a lot of empty churches in Europe and there are even more people of my generation who claim to believe in god, but don't go to church. Comparing this to say.. 50 to a 100 years ago, I think us Atheists are doing rather well. 🙂

Christianity won't be destroyed by Atheists.. It will be destroyed by the truth. Which is that your "Truth" is a lie.

July 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Some Guy

Hey Buddy, somehow I'm not to inclined to take seriously someone who doesn't know the difference between two centuries and two millennia.

July 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • 3vix6

Atheists can believe anything that they want.. There are varying spectrums of Atheists! Some believe that there could be a god or a creator being and that we have no knowledge of who or what that could be. Others believe that there is no god completely.

Many of us just say.. I don't know! I'm very much comfortable with saying I don't know because I want that knowledge to see what else is in our universe.

Don't any of you find it pathetic that we can build multimillion dollar churches and support the pocketbooks of Joel Olsteen and Ted Haggered, but can't build a spaceship to explore the solar system? Do any of you find it stupid that we can start a war in less than 24 hours, but we can't educate our children? or make sure that everyone in countries that don't have oil have clean water?

Don't any of you think that we're ready to evolve? To go beyond violence caused by books that aren't even proven and invest in our race.. maybe find some real truth??

July 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • TB

Jon, you are on the mark. I simply hope sanity assumes control before religious fervor destroys humanity...

July 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Frogist

@Jon: I'm sorry to disagree with you. If these forums are any indication of how much truth or reality is represented, we are SOL. In fact, indications show that the internet reality we live in gives more creedence to irrational or fear-based ideas since everyone and their uncle can post their opinions as if they were fact with little or no background research or knowledge. On the interwebz I can has opiniuhn. And it lends validity to people who know nothing about the subject, care nothing about the consequences, and would never admit their lack of working knowledge of that which they speak. Humility is dead. Everyone's an expert here.

July 5, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  8. jeron

"As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody religion that ever existed?" - John Adams, letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816

July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  9. adam

atheist's hate America as much as democrates do. You'll never see a democrate or an atheist wearing red, white and blue.

July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Chris

Did Pat Tillman hate America?

July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Jon

Hey it rhymes!

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • NRen2k5

I see it all the time.

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • jeron

Thats funny; I'm actually wearing a flag shirt right now; and after work today I'm going to go watch fireworks. Go AMERICA and may there be FREEDOM for ALL

July 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Jim

Adam,
      This must be one of the most hateful and ridiculous posts that I've seen here. Thanks for telling the world about good old conservative, evangelical values. Hate everyone who doesn't think like you. Are you working on a "final solution?"

July 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • jq-DoL1

NOT true for me. We just do not like being told
      we have to love God to love America.
      Freedom of religion is also freedom from religion.

July 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • JC

Don't like to read?

July 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • ed

Really? I've gone to every 4th of July parade for every year of my life and I'm an atheists liberal progressive Democrat.

You sound silly.

July 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • AirborneMedic/FirefighterParamedic

Adam... I served my country for eight years as an Airborne Medic in the Infantry. I have been a Firefighter/Paramedic for the past 14 years as well. I do not believe in any God and I typically vote Democrat. I live a very moral life and always help my fellow man. I have spilled my blood for this country and it's citizens. Do not confuse pacifism with being a Democrat, I would gladly teach you the difference. Keep your mouth like your mind, closed.

July 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

Then I guess you missed my appearance at today's naborhood 4th of July celebration, where I was the guy handing out the flags. But don't feel bad, you can't be everywhere and know everyone, no matter how much you CLAIM you do.

July 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • TB

Wrong you are!!! I'm a patriotic atheist, wearing red, white and blue today, proudly celebrating my freedom FROM religion!!!

Long Live America! Peace to all!

July 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • James

adam, your remarks could not be more incorrect. I am a former "believer" & a former "conservative". I still dress & act the same & display my flag on Independence Day the same as I did before. Don't go along with all the cliches you or others create. Start thinking & hopefully reasoning for yourself. Believe me you will find a peace that you have never felt before. Good luck to you.

July 4, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Frogist

@adam: When did wearing the flag become the sole indicator of patriotism? When you wear your heart on your sleeve it becomes so much easier to leave it behind when you take off your shirt.

July 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
  10. jeron

Thomas Paine
    The Persian shows the Zend-Avesta of Zoroaster, the lawgiver of Persia, and calls it the divine law; the Bramin shows the Shaster, revealed, he says, by God to Brama, and given to him out of a cloud; the Jew shows what he calls the law of Moses, given, he says, by God, on the Mount Sinai; the Christian shows a collection of books and epistles, written by nobody knows who, and called the New Testament; and the Mahometan shows the Koran, given, he says, by God to Mahomet: each of these calls itself revealed religion, and the only true Word of God, and this the followers of each profess to believe from the habit of education, and each believes the others are imposed upon.

July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  11. Duncan Construction

Funny how the Atheist has to be fearful for his life from those loving white christians.

July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  12. jeron

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli. Article 11 states
    "The Government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the
    Christian religion."

July 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  13. cubiksrube

This whole atheism discussion is just stupid.
    Can we talk about something meaningful now?
    Like loving our next?

July 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • gozer

"loving your next" -if we look in the bible for that, we find that it's to be the case only when you aren't specifically being instructed by your god to k-ill, ra-pe, or tor-ture them, sometimes in large numbers and depending on the bent of the author of that particular version of that particular section of the bible.

-and Atheism is rather obviously relevant to the article, so get over yourself or just go elsewhere.

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  14. jeron

Thomas Jefferson
    "Christianity...(has become) the most perverted system that ever shone on
    man...Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the
    teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and imposters led by Paul, the
    first great corruptor of the teachings of Jesus."

July 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  15. Alberto

Follow an atheist or follow Christ.

No contest.

Hell is reality seen too late.

Laughter stops at Judgment.

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Jon

Feardeathmuch?

July 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • gozer

Read up on Pascal's Wager. You are taking it.

And as for hell, you really believe that eternal torture is appropriate punishment for finite transgressions, even reasonable doubt? There's not a modern court in the world that would be that vicious.

We have words for beings like your purported deity. One of them begins with "a" and ends with "hole".

Laughing at you.

July 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Jesus Loves Me. He Thinks You Suck, Though.

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!!! JESUS WANTS YOU TO BE AFRAID!!!!!!

God set the big trap for people. He made the universe seem like there is no supernatural forces at all, just to fool you. Then he wants you to choose opposite the powers of reason, also to fool you. He put in an enormous number of fake religions out there as traps too, all with equal credibility, just in case you got past that first trap. Then he made the trap of the strange ancient book full of contradictions and harsh laws and stories of really bad behavior by God, just to sow doubt. Then he set yet another trap by making a lot of the followers of the one true way intolerant and rather dim and noisy and unable to debate.

Yes, God set a lot of traps to keep out those evil people who he gave the ability to think critically. Yes, he sets up the majority of humans to fail to find them, then punishes them for doing what he made them do.

So it's obvious that God exists.

July 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • ed

LOL Man made up Heaven and Hell and you fell for it, you will rot in a box just like a deceased dog does. The last laugh is always with he atheists.

July 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • RichardSRussell

I am an atheist. Please DO NOT follow me. It creeps me out.

July 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • TB

Jesus? He's my gardener. He's awesome! Yard has never looked better.

July 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  16. Darryn Cooke

How is this any different than the "God is Great" or "Believe in Jesus Christ" versions of the same banner? If you think you can project your beliefs on others what's to stop them from attempting to do the same? What is the word for an absence of reason?

July 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • TB

The word for absence of reason is FAITH.

It is blind and without logic, just like politicians like their electorate.

July 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  17. Joe K

i am once again sicken by this group, that takes a day we hold special to celebrate our freedoms(and Thiers) to use it as pevertse as this. Thank you to the pilots that have refuse to fly with a ugly lump of crap behind them. This oranazation should be strippe of all it's Tax except status. this isn't freedom of Exppression this is an attack on one group. !

July 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Good JoeK, Joe K. I started to fall for it.

July 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Jon

Tax exempt status? I think you are confused.

July 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Peter

I am sickened by your spelling and grammar.

July 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • TB

Hey, Joe. I celebrate your right to be sickened by these pilots. Similarly, you should celebrate my right to be sickened that you worship an imaginary man in the sky. Peace to all.

July 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Evolve Already

You who worship fake gods with no proof of existence keep the rest of us in the dark ages. Drop it, chill out, and evolve. Quit holding us back. Read, be informed, increase your IQ! It's OK.

But quit imposing your fake religions on US. It's not patriotic and it IS unAmerican. Cheers finally to a godLESS America!

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • JC

May be you should go and start off from a middle school. Your grammar and spelling are awful despite of a spell check.
      This is the level of education of general education, no wonder you brag about jobs all the time but couldn't find one. You know why? Because you are not qualified over any blue collar job. No wonder foreigners like Indians pick up all IT jobs on H1 visas, because they pick up a book and study. Such a shame....!

July 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Lenny

I count 10+ spelling and grammar mistakes in four sentences. Since you are not basing your statements on facts you should have plenty of time to spell check them.

July 4, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Catch a Clue, People!

READ HIS NAME! READ THE FIRST COMMENT!

Don't be so gullible.

July 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • ed

This country was not founded on religion, there is a separation of church and state for a reason, the founding fathers knew loons like you would try to take over do they put laws there to stop it.

July 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  18. JC

"God" and "Saddam Hussein" are really comparable.
    -Both are dictatorial.
    -Anything said against them will lead to prosecution, death and hell in case of God.
    -Absolute control.
    -Cannot question them, power and universal truth of God.
    -Watches you all the time.

July 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • TB

Shouldn't Kim Jung Il be included here somwwhere?

July 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  19. They Willsee

The bottom line is that Pro-God people need to continue to heartily illustrate that God is the Creator of ALL people, even atheists. And just from where do atheists think they came from? From a tree, a rock, or the ocean? Did that create them? Is it those things that heal them in their time of need even though they are atheists? No! It is only God in His great mercy and goodness who heals even those who do not openly acknowledge Him. Yet atheists are so shallow in their convoluted thoughts as to not bring themselves to realize that. But in the end, when they meet with God at their Judgment Day because most assuredly there is a judgment day for Everyone, atheist or not, they will see the extreme error in their way of thinking but by then it will be too late to save themselves as one has to do it Now while still incarnate on this Earth. Later, since they didn't know God, He will not know them either and they're off to an Eternal Life In the Void whether they want to or not. That is Biblical Truth. So, the opportunity to make amends is Now. Right Now. Not tomorrow. NOW! Accept Jesus Christ and be Saved. It's that Easy!

July 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • NRen2k5

You are insane.

July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Dabboo

Pure idiocy.

July 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • dustl

Wow.

July 4, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • cepheus42

There's what... 500 different version of Christianity? Yeah, talk about inconsistent *grin*. I'll take the simplicity and truth of atheism any day to trying to guess which of your myths are the right one.

July 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • TB

God, Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Unicorn, Bigfoot. Tooth Fairy. Donald Trump's Humility.

All imaginary...

July 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • tl123

If God created me, he created me as an atheist. Therefore he does know me!!

July 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Acroyear

What I can't understand is why you worship any being that for the short time we exist here in this world would condemn a person to ever lasting torture. Such an unforgiving hate filled being is utterly evil! And if perchance I'm wrong and there is a hell, then sign me up for the crusade against your sick, evil and sadistic god...for nothing that evil deserves to be respected or to rule, let alone worship.

July 4, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • They Willsee

tl123, you are very wrong in that assumption. When God created you He gave you a mind with which to think *clearly* about your creation and Creator. True, He also gave you free will with which to choose goodness over sin and shallow thinking or vice-versa. However, there are consequences to such use of free will. One is that the Eternal light of God will never be seen by an atheist without conversion to becoming Born Again in Jesus Christ. But then why would an atheist want to be with God or Jesus in Heaven anyway since they do not openly profess Him as their Lord and Savior right now! He will thus promptly escort all non-Believers to a place totally devoid of His light and of His love at your appointed time. That is why, Biblically speaking, it is your choice Now to Choose Salvation for yourself if it matters one iota to you where you will end up when you die. End of story.

July 4, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  20. Will

The ads shouldn't bother Christians. They're a waste of time and money. They just show the inconstant beliefs of those who have paid for them. Advertise away. My question for the atheists is, "You don't know when you're going to die. It could be in five minutes. Even if you live the normal lifespan and you're, say, in your 30s, that gives you maybe 50 more years max. This life IS ALL THERE IS. And THIS is how you're spending your money and time. Seriously? Come on. Tick-tock. Time is moving quickly. Your cells are dying. Body systems are malfunctioning. That car that's going to careen headlong into yours in five years, thereby ending your life, is being built AS WE SPEAK. And you're doing this right now? What about your genes? You have a small window of time to spread them around in the most effective way possible so that they can compete with the genes of other animals from our species for dominance. That's all you're here for. Get to work! Stop making silly signs!"

July 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Chris

That's all you're here for as well, Will.

July 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Tom M

A god that demands worship out of fear is unworthy of worship.

July 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Will

Why write back to me then?

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Damon

I think it's a great idea. Atheists are the most discriminated and mistrusted group in the United States and there are many people that don't even know what an atheist is. It's time we show them and we have a say in this country. It's called civil rights.

Life is more beautiful because it is finite. There is an end to it. That's why I cherish it much more, and I work for future atheists to have equality in the United States. I know my life has meaning. Have fun celebrating death while we celebrate our life – the only life we have.

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • NRen2k5

Or maybe, they’d like to work for the betterment of the rest of society. Don’t assume that everybody else is as selfish as you, Christian.

July 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Donna

"My question for the atheists is, "You don't know when you're going to die. It could be in five minutes." You think that's a question?
      The "why" in "why we're here" doesn't define us. We get to to set our own agenda and decide for ourselves how we want to spend our time.

July 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • TB

We'll spend our time enlightening people, thus diluting the illogical, myopic, dictatorial, life-ending messages perpetrated by religion.

The clock for organized religion is ticking...

July 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Will

Donna,

You're right. It's more of a series of statements sprinkled with rhetorical questions. I guess I should proofread more before I post, huh? Thanks for pointing this out:)
      I agree that we get to decide how we spend our time. If you say "the "why" in "why we're here" doesn't define us" it sounds to me like you're defining people as not defined by the "why". But what if the agenda that you told me I could set for myself involves defining myself by the "why"? Where do you get the authority to tell me that I can't define myself by the "why"?

NRen2K5,

You're right. I'm the most selfish person I know.

July 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • Donna

Will,
      "... it sounds to me like you're defining people as not defined by the "why". "
      No...People can choose to define themselves by the why.
      And this is the most hypocritical statements I've read all day:"Where do you get the authority to tell me that I can't define myself by the "why"?"
      Your entire post was a rant about how atheists define themselves and how they should live their lives based on that.
      Perhaps you should not make such statements about other people if it bothers you to have people make them about you.

July 4, 2011 at 5:17 pm |