home
RSS
Christian author: A Mormon should never be president
Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney speaks during last month's CNN presidential debate in New Hampshire.
July 7th, 2011

Christian author: A Mormon should never be president

Tricia Erickson is author of the new book,"Can Mitt Romney Serve Two Masters? The Mormon Church Versus The Office Of  The Presidency of the United States of America". She runs a communications company, Crisis Management, Incorporated and Angel Pictures & Publicity, a political and entertainment publicity and consulting company that promotes conservative causes and personalities. In an off-set "In the Arena" interview, Erickson shares her insight on why Mormons should not be considered for the White House.

(EDITOR'S NOTE: Due to the provocative–and in some cases, inflammatory– nature of Erickson's answers, we asked for a response from Mormon historian Richard Bushman, the Howard W. Hunter Visiting Professor of Mormon Studies at Claremont Graduate University in California. His remarks follow the answers below, along with reactions from Corey P. Saylor, National Legislative Director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations and Ahmed M. Rehab, Executive Director, CAIR-Chicago.)

You ask, “Can Mitt Romney serve two masters?” He was governor of Massachusetts from 2003 – 2007 and his belief in Mormonism seems to have only served him well. Why would this be different if he were elected president?

Let me say that my book is divided in to two parts. Part I covers the spiritual aspect. Part II covers the political.  Both parts are important when considering voting for this possible front runner.

Read more about Tricia Erickson's allegations against Mormonism on CNN's In the Arena blog
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Mormonism • TV-In the Arena

1. DiamondSky

Mormons need honest, scholarly study of the Bible. Blame for being brainwashed in a free country is largely on the victims themselves.

July 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
    • Jim

You can call anyone brainwashed for any belief

July 11, 2011 at 1:04 am |
    • Madtown

Ok. Trade one form of brainwashing for another. That sounds about right.

July 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • herbert juarez

it's a toss up whether you know less about mormonism or christianity.

July 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  2. adam

I like your comment Steve.

July 10, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  3. John

~

July 10, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
    • ....

~~~~~don't bother watching this garbage, click the report abuse link to get rid of this troll.

July 11, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  4. herbert juarez

hey we just had 8 years with a moron for president and the country is still here ... sort of.

July 10, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  5. Bob

In reading all the responses and so-called rebuttals, I am struck by the total lack of understanding about how "religion", under any mantle, has caused myriad amounts of hatred, stupidity, and wrong-headed thinking. @ DiamondSky, get out of your mother's basement and trundle over to ANY non-denominational school and avail yourself of some non-religious education. As for the life-after-death crowd, please, please, show me a scintilla of evidence about the "wonders of the after life. Sorry guys, despite your incredible needs to be succored and coddled in a make believe nether world, it ain't gonna happen. Life the life you have now friends and stop hassling other people with beliefs different from your own.

July 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • herbert juarez

as long as your head is already up there check for polyps

July 10, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  6. AJ

Whats the worst that could happen, Can't be any worse then the dual-loyalty Zionist Christians that we have in office, who constantly put the needs of Israel above America.

July 10, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  7. Colin in Florida

At onetime, they said Kennedy could/should not be President, because he was catholic. How closed minded can you be-this woman is ignorant.

July 10, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  8. Samuel

There is no magic. There is only reality. Religion is what you do. It shows your connection to reality or not.

July 10, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  9. skytag

@DiamondSky: "Why don't American atheists immigrate to North Korea, their crazy true utopia? North Korea shines as the pure example of absence of religion."

North Korea's problems have nothing to do with a lack of religion. If Christianity is so great, why are you such a nasty person who has to resort to these kinds of dishonest arguments?

"A living hell for everyone."

Having to spend time around you sounds like Hell to me.

July 10, 2011 at 8:37 am |
  10. IslandAtheist

@DiamondSky North Korea is one of the most religious countries in the world, they worship
    Kim Il Sung as their god.

July 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |
    • Truth to the matter is...

Diamond Sky is not NKorean but a (little) Ch-ine-se. He hates America that much because despite of the thrillions of dollars that America owes from them, yet they couldn't hold on it's neck that it will not stands on it's way on invading weak countries (specially) in Asia. As what they are doing now in Spratlys. America (together with its allies in UN)as the defender of nations will always be a huge stumbling block of C-hina's long time ob-se-ss-ion to become the dragon empire.

July 10, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
  11. dsmith

Mormons seem to be good at 2 things; family and business. They are the only truely american church from their inception. The rest of us christians practice european/ european hybred religions. I remember when everyone used to be affraid of JFK because he would take his "orders" from the vatican... Maybe the born-again snake charmers can't support him but if most americans can see past Obama's whacko-racist church they surely can support Romney- besides he wants to fix everything not collectivize it!

July 9, 2011 at 11:41 pm |
  12. A. Brun

It's funny. Whenever a Mormon does something (crime, or positive such as this) the fact that they are Mormon is heavily publicized. "Today a burglary was committed and he was a mormon..." Never do I hear "He was jewish, he was a Jehovas Witness, he was atheist." No because bashing something sells. Uplifting something... not so much. It just goes to show which direction the world is headed. I am a Mormon, I don't find it a big deal who the President is. In my opinion the President is simply a face, Congress has the most influence on our country. Now if Congress were to ALL be Mormon that would be something to talk about.

July 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  13. Jim

I think that this is a great representation of Mormons to the Christian Community.

July 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Jim

The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Andrea Bocelli. Awesome! When I think of Mormons I think of this video.

July 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  14. DiamondSky

Mormons, if you really love the Lord Jesus as you claim to, won't you read the whole Bible and believe what it plainly teaches? You love the false doctrines more than Jesus – that is your problem.

July 9, 2011 at 9:46 am |
    • John

It is pretty amazing if you don't buy these myths you are thought of as being morally inferior, how did this come about?

July 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Jarod

I have my doubts that you actually know what this "false doctrine" is that you speak of. The LDS Church teaches an unyielding faith in Jesus Christ.

July 9, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • atomD21

There are going to be a lot of very surprised evangelicals in the after life. The Bible I read refers to the reconciliation of the whole world more than it extols the virtues of "only the good Christians make it."

July 9, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
    • A. Brun

The real problem is people not being understanding and accepting of other people's faiths. All in all every religion and member for that matter wants the same thing. Eternal Happiness.

July 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • DiamondSky

Truth is truth and the Evangelicals are those who trace the Bible most accurately. You guys are all dishonest in searching the Bible. Following a religion for one's own humanistic sake, not for the sake of knowing God's truth, is same as having no religion at all. Biblical Christianity is set apart as the ONLY VITAL, WHOLE TRUTH from all other beliefs including disbelief.

July 10, 2011 at 5:02 am |
    • skytag

Spare us your ignorant religious bigotry. Mormons are quite well versed on what the Bible says. Maybe you should read the part about not judging others. *Your* problem is that you're so arrogant you think it's your place to judge another's Christianity. I find your brand of hypocrisy to be particularly repugnant. You are a nasty, mean-spirited person. Whatever brand of Christianity you embrace it's not working particularly well for you. I'd much rather be around the Mormons I've known than the likes of you.

July 10, 2011 at 8:12 am |
    • skytag

"Truth is truth and the Evangelicals are those who trace the Bible most accurately."

A believe isn't "truth" just because *you* believe it. Who made *you* the arbiter of what's true and what isn't? Your arrogance seems to know no bounds. It's people like you who have given religion, and Christianity in particular a bad name throughout history. Based on your comments I don't think you'd recognize a real Christian value if one bit you on the nose.

July 10, 2011 at 8:18 am |
    • Leean

Hi DiamondSky!
      I am Mormon and I've read the New Testament so many times I've lost count. I'm currently on my third reading of the Old Testament. I will read both the Old and New Testaments again several times in the future. How about you?

It may or may not be of interest, but my personal scripture study always includes the Bible, as well as the Book or Mormon, and I know many other Mormons where the same applies.

Have a great summer!

July 12, 2011 at 1:04 am |
  15. Mutinda Kisio (@YESUmob)

Those who pray in Jesus' name and have a relationship with Jesus Christ (regardless of their denomination) are of God and Jesus calls them his sheep.

Christians MUST REALISE that Jesus Christ is the head of the Church and that the Church is the body of Christ. ALL others are human inventions with a great influence of Satan.

As Christians – we must strive to unite as "God Blesses When There Is Unity http://bit.ly/gmXxaI"

July 9, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • Samuel

There are no denominations in Christ. If you are in a denomination then you must examine the roots of your beliefs and prove them. If you uncover the doctrine of a Just War then you are in a very dangerous place.

July 10, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  16. billafu

Aren't Mormons Christians? It seems to me they (Mormons) do believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ, do they not?

July 9, 2011 at 7:31 am |
    • DiamondSky

Mormons are NOT Christian. They don't believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. They use the same words, but those have totally different meanings from what Christianity teaches. Mormons, read your whole Bible. Don't be lazy or be selective. You yourself alone are responsible for choosing to be brainwashed by refusing to read the whole Bible.

July 9, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • Allen Jensen

The following is song lyrics to one of the LDS Churches most beloved hymns. The words were written by the late-Bruce R. McConkie, a Mormon Apostle. Being in the Church’s published hymn I trust the reflect the Church’s sincere beliefs concerning the Son of God’s divinity
      “I believe in Christ; he is my King!
      With all my heart to him I’ll sing; I’ll raise my voice in praise and joy, In grand Amens my tongue employ.
      I believe in Christ; he is God’s Son!
      On earth to dwell his soul did come. He healed the sick; the dead he raised. Good works were his, his name be praised.
      I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!
      As Mary’s Son he came to reign. ‘Mid mortal men, his earthly kin, To save them from the woes of sin.
      I believe in Christ; who marked the path!
      Who did gain all the Father hath. Who said to men, Come, Follow Me, That ye, my friends, with God may be.”
      I believe in Christ – my Lord, my God!
      My feet he plants on gospel sod. I’ll worship him with all my might; He is the source of truth and light.
      I believe in Christ; he ransoms me!
      From Satan’s grasp he sets me free. And I shall live with joy and love In his eternal courts above.
      I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
      From him I’ll gain my fondest dream. And while I strive through grief and pain, His voice is heard;
      “Ye shall obtain.”
      I believe in Christ; so come what may!
      With him I’ll stand in that great day, When on this earth he comes again To rule amoung the sons of men.”

July 9, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • Jarod

Mormons are most certainly Christian. We believe in Christ as our Lord and Savior. That belief is the very foundation of the LDS religion. Claims that Mormons are not Christian are simply made from an ignorance of LDS doctrine

July 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Larry

@DiamondSky: "They don't believe in the divinity of Jesus Christ. They use the same words, but those have totally different meanings from what Christianity teaches."

This is crap. They have some beliefs that are different than what you believe, but where is your proof that your belief is more correct? Oh, right, just like the proof of anything you believe about God, it doesn't exist. You just feel threatened because their fairy tales are different than your fairy tales and you can't prove your fairy tales are any better than theirs.

July 10, 2011 at 8:24 am |
    • skytag

DiamondSky's problem with Mormons is that they make better Christians than she does.

July 10, 2011 at 8:42 am |
    • Juan Lemmon

When did Adelina became like Lucy. How did she (be)came in the Sky with Diamonds?

July 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  17. Reality

Another book based on Google searching!!! Save your money and search the topic on your own.

July 9, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  18. AvdBerg

The article Mormon Church ~ Cult and Spiritual Harlot listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca explains in detail the history of the Mormon Church and what spirit they follow (Luke 9:55).

July 9, 2011 at 6:36 am |
  19. DiamondSky

Any morality restorer should be good for America, be it Mormon or Muslim...

July 9, 2011 at 12:52 am |
    • Reality

The reality of Islam and why Muslims are not moral leaders:

Some examples of koranic/mosque- driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) – Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

July 9, 2011 at 7:28 am |
    • DiamondSky

@Reality: But they look better than the American hedonists. Between a hard place and a rock?

July 9, 2011 at 9:38 am |
    • IsNot

Really, "Reality"? Hate to tell you this, but those same statistics can be matched atrocity for atrocity in the Christian arena. In fact, there might be a few more because Christianity has a few centuries on Islam.

Be that as it may, allow me to remind you of the 800 lb. gorilla in the room–Islam's roots go back to the same source as Judaism and Christianity. All believe in the God of Abraham and Moses, but only Christianity believes in a Trinity of Father/Son/Holy Spirit. The other two are monotheistic.

Basically, your quotes from a hate site (while marginally factual in some cases) are just an attempt to "prove" only one of those religions is bad. But you are incorrect. Most "western" religions (including Islam) tend to be very violent and destructive in nature and none can truthfully claim otherwise. So get over yourself.

July 9, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • skytag

@Reality: "The reality of Islam and why Muslims are not moral leaders"

More crap. There are 1.5 billion Muslims in the world and you're dumb enough to believe that a handful of incidents by some of the more fanatical justify condemning all of them, with absolutely no consideration of other factors such as culture or history.

As for your historical evidence, I can assure you Christianity's history has plenty of dark stains its history. The Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition come to mind, as does Christian acceptance of slavery in this country, the persecution of native Americans, and the Christian roots of the KKK. You and DiamondSky must belong to the Church of Christians Who Are Better Than Everyone Else.

July 10, 2011 at 8:35 am |
  20. Brynja

Why not? We let Christians become president.. and they are just as mind blowingly deluded. There is NO difference, no matter HOW they try to spin it.

July 8, 2011 at 10:00 pm |