home
RSS
July 12th, 2011

Bill Maher explains his 'apatheism,' apathetic atheism

Comedian Bill Maher sits down with Piers Morgan to talk about growing up Catholic and becoming an "apatheist," an apathetic atheist who just doesn't think much about religion.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner

soundoff (1,340 Responses)
  1. Tony Ryan - Coffee Loving Skeptic

Atheism has a morality far more inclusive and advanced than any theology. The arguments for being 'religious' get weaker by the day, hence the increased hate from theists I think. I wrote a bit more about it today – http://wp.me/p1u5Um-9T – and hope it helps someone make their own case for why Atheism is the more rational choice.

July 27, 2011 at 11:52 am |
  2. Rob

I generally like Bill because he always gives both sides a voice. I believe he is trying to say in his daily life he doesn't think much about relgion. He talks about it because its a hot topic! That is his job.

July 25, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
  3. Ed in LA

Not sure how someone who constantly rails against religion (by which he means Christianity), can call himself an apatheist. The jester doth protest too much!

Come work down here with me, Bill. You will see God not far from Hollywood - among the poorest of the poor.

July 22, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • Chris

He rips on all religions.....you may not think your a problem, but with your way of thinking, you are.

July 26, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  4. RWESTUPID

Some of the moronic posts here are proof positive that religion is a serious mental illness.

July 21, 2011 at 9:08 am |
  5. ian

Religion only proves ignorance. Nothing more. P.S. Darth Vader was around before Jesus!

July 16, 2011 at 9:02 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

I too am a fanatacist when it comes to watching Star Wars! The "Force" be with you are the Midichlorians who reside deep within us as the Jedi Knights believe. I am also a Big "Matrix" fan, not to mention but I read the Hobbit Trilogy back in the early 70's long before it hit the silver screen! My Comic Book Heroes are just now hitting the silver Screen! Iron Man, The Fantastic Four, Captain America, and the X-Men.

July 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
  6. CD

God wants you to be faithful and come to him, you dont see everyone fighting and debating over other religions, so this one must be true, God is always faithful, but if you turn your back to him he will turn his back to you, Also the only thing i can do for all the poeple that dont believe is to pray for you, God bless all of you!!!

July 15, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

My attempts to Understand WHAT GOD's True Form is, is Beyond my Perceptions. I struggle Daily to come to terms with this. If GOD is CREATION ITSELF, then what is the role of Manliness and Womanhood?

July 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  7. martini paul

If you do not believe in the existence of God you must at least admit the existence of religion. If you believe in science you probably believe in evolution. If you believe in evolution then you must believe that it is responsible for the existence of religion. Evoulion has programmed humans to be religious. So, take your choice: a strict but forgiving God or a loving and forgiving Fuhrer. Even without God, there will be religion! You can deny God but can you deny evolution?

July 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Not Only do I hae a somewhat limited Understanding for there being a GOD, I do also believe in the Evolution which brought about Manliness and Womanhood. It is written in scripture that a day is as a thousand years and a thousand years is but a day in the Eyes of GOD. What then is the Scientific Decree to Explain this thousand year Religious Phenomenon?

July 17, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  8. Gayle

If he didn't think at all about God, he wouldn't talk about religion so much. The fact that he doesn't believe in God is in and of itself a religious posture.

July 15, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Comedian Bill Maher, like myself, is somewhat perplexed and has many unanswerable as yet- questions as to the Nature of there being GOD and Gods and Goddesses and then Manliness and Womanhood. As Beings of Disparaged Omnivores, we live out the days going to and fro repenting hardly ever regarding that which we eat of and consume which are but other Variations of Life Forms. I eat little these days, mostly bread with some meat and drink heavily sodas. I quit drinking alcohol on Sept 5th 2009, almost 2 years. I have become devoted to writing whatever comes to my Imaginative Nature and read somewhat others postings.

If therefore GOD is Truly the Universe we find ourselves residing in, will we then become a Universe when we die or? I find it hard to believe we will become a Universe of such a huge design, but as I've been understanding the Theory of Fractal Cosmology, I can Honestly see that deep within all Life are cells of Universal Design. These Cellular Universes could well be of the Gods and Goddesses embodiments and we are but Vessels of containment for them to propagate within until we are filled up. If this is the case then how will we be saved and what will we become if saved?

July 17, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
  9. Chaite

July 15, 2011 at 5:31 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

"Paranoid people and their fantasies. Their fantasies and that business of converting a fantasy into a delusion."

I Chaite have long ago been classified as being a Paranoid Schizophrenic. That was when I was 33 or so. Now 56, I have mostly overcome my mental disorder by the continuous taking of my medication which is called Zyprexa Zydis. I have been in remission for over 6 or 7 years now. Mental Fantasies are themselves a venerable state of actual relativity when anyone lets their imaginative desires left unchecked.

I am currently worried about USA's Debt ceiling's possible impass and I will not be recieving my Social Security Check come August. I fear such an occurrence happening, and yet, I remian steadfast that the U.S. Political situation will be absolved and I will be able to Live without Fear growing once again in my mindset.

"Our Fathers who are now in Heaven, Hallowed be their names. Their wills be done upon the Earth as it is in their heavens. Give to all Their Daily needs and lead us not into Temptations of ill-will, for GOD is the Power and the Glory and the Way, Forever and Ever, Amen."

July 17, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  10. James Black

;

July 14, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  11. Shawn

Praying is a waste of time and energy.
    If I want something in my life, I have to take ACTION to achieve it.

July 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Muneef

What is this ? Did you think that prayers helps some one to pass an exam with out studying seriously day and night?

No it is not but rather the person had to study hard in order for him to past the exam with merit, but the priyer might be needed to have strength and confidence in self as well as not to suddenly go blank in mind at exam time which is so easy no matter what you studied can just disappear for few moments or hours...

So you see it is essential but not related...

July 15, 2011 at 1:28 am |
  12. Rug Ranger

Religion is the Opiate of the masses and they are all not in their right mind.

July 14, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Ted

Right Rug – never head that one before. As if people that are unreligious or anti-religious are so much more in their right mind – like say Joseph Stalin?

July 15, 2011 at 1:38 am |
  13. Connor Boyd

I laugh at all of the Christians who are trying to convert Bill.

1. As you can see by watching this, he really doesn't care.

2. He is intelligent, not stupid.

July 14, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • da nschmidt

so what do u people who dont think there is a God happnes to our soul after u pass from this earth u think its just over nothing more ??

July 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  14. Jeremy

Didn't he make a movie about religion?

July 14, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • Rod

Yes, he did. It's called Religulous (Religion + Ridiculous, naturally), and it's fairly good if you want to see a bunch of religious folk stand up to a few questions challenging their faith.
      There's a part where some of his facts are a bit shady, but it's overall a nice, though-provoking film that's great to show to family members who may not agree with you.

July 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Daniela

Yes, it's called Religulous.

July 14, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  15. Murray Braun

You like so many others don't know what you are talking about. So you believe in God. So what?

July 14, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  16. Muneef

Quran verses;
    [45:16] We have given the Children of Israel the scripture, wisdom, and prophethood, and provided them with good provisions; we bestowed upon them more blessings than any other people.

[45:17] We have given them herein clear commandments. Ironically, they did not dispute this until the knowledge had come to them. This is due to jealousy on their part. Surely, your Lord will judge them on the Day of Resurrection regarding everything they have disputed.
    -----
    [10:19] The people used to be one congregation, then they disputed. If it were not for a predetermined word from your Lord, they would have been judged immediately regarding their disputes.
    ----–
    [2:213] The people used to be one community when GOD sent the prophets as bearers of good news, as well as warners. He sent down with them the scripture, bearing the truth, to judge among the people in their disputes. Ironically, those who received the scripture were the ones who rejected any new scripture, despite clear proofs given to them. This is due to jealousy on their part. GOD guides those who believe to the truth that is disputed by all others, in accordance with His will. GOD guides whoever wills in a straight path.*
    -----–
    [43:78] "We have given you the truth, but most of you hate the truth."
    ------

July 14, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
    • Murray Braun

You are unwanted. You are ludicrous. You make no sense spouting your fairy tales. Stupid people. Oblivious people.

July 14, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • not impressed

it's idolatrous to quote scripture without explaining what it means in your *own* words

July 14, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • Muneef

Non Religious Trolls on Religious Trolls Blogs ? Aren't they looking for God here ?
      Or just awaiting that right moment of recognizing a true belief?

Kindly read this today might you thank me one other day;

[89:0] In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

[89:1] By the dawn.

[89:2] And the ten nights.*

[89:3] By the even and the odd.*

[89:4] By the night as it passes.

[89:5] A profound oath, for one who possesses intelligence.

[89:6] Have you noted what your Lord did to `Aad?

[89:7] Erum; the town with tall buildings.

[89:8] There was nothing like it anywhere.

[89:9] Also Thamoud, who carved the rocks in their valley.

[89:10] And Pharaoh who possessed might.

[89:11] They all transgressed in the land.

[89:12] They spread evil throughout.

[89:13] Consequently, your Lord poured upon them a whipping retribution.

[89:14] Your Lord is ever watchful.

[89:15] When the human being is tested by his Lord, through blessings and joy, he says, "My Lord is generous towards me."

[89:16] But if He tests him through reduction in provisions, he says, "My Lord is humiliating me!"

[89:17] Wrong! It is you who brought it on yourselves by not regarding the orphan.

[89:18] And not advocating charity towards the poor.

[89:19] And consuming the inheritance of helpless orphans.

[89:20] And loving the money too much.

[89:21] Indeed, when the earth is crushed, utterly crushed.

[89:22] And your Lord comes, together with the angels in row after row.

[89:23] On that day, Gehenna will be brought forth. On that day, the human being will remember – but what a remembrance – it will be too late.

[89:24] He will say, "Oh, I wish I prepared for my (eternal) life."

[89:25] On that day, no retribution could be worse than His retribution.

[89:26] And no confinement is as effective as His confinement.

[89:27] As for you, O content soul.

[89:28] Return to your Lord, pleased and pleasing.

[89:29] Welcome into My servants.

[89:30] Welcome into My Paradise.
      --------

Wake up to the Reality...our life time is consumed with every breath we take and release...we have limitations to our hearings and sights to hear,see,feel what is veiled from us as transmissions or waves...

[50:16] We created the human, and we know what he whispers to himself. We are closer to him than his jugular vein.

[50:17] Two recording (angels), at right and at left, are constantly recording.

[50:18] Not an utterance does he utter without an alert witness.

[50:19] Finally, the inevitable coma of death comes; this is what you tried to evade.

[50:20] The horn is blown; this is the promised day.

[50:21] Every soul comes with a herder and a witness.

[50:22] You used to be oblivious to this. We now remove your veil; today, your vision is (as strong as) steel.
      ----–

One that day man vision becomes to see the unseen and all that he disbelieved or believed in...

What a stand on that day and what a feelings must every soul face whether believer or disbeliever....
      -----

On that day deeds speak for them selves from your written records;

[27:84] When they arrive, He will say, "You have rejected My revelations, before acquiring knowledge about them. Is this not what you did?"

[27:85] They will incur the requital for their wickedness; they will say nothing.
      ------

Who will confirm their Written Records;

[24:24] The day will come when their own tongues, hands, and feet will bear witness to everything they had done.

[24:25] On that day, GOD will requite them fully for their works, and they will find out that GOD is the Truth.
      -------

[12:53] "I do not claim innocence for myself. The self is an advocate of vice, except for those who have attained mercy from my Lord. My Lord is Forgiver, Most Merciful."
      -----–

July 14, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  17. Walt

To Bill Mahre

I understand, you do not know I exist, you just have my words here. Yet, you may have preponderance that I do have life. But I have a name and a place and I do exist. My name is Walter Woodliff. But, you can't prove I exist nor tell others about me. I haven't introduced myself to you or have reason to interact with you but in this forum. So it is for Him who is above all things. It is by revelation of His Spirit. It may make good joke material, but essentially, life is no joke. It is a creation for purpose and it is for His purpose. All of this including you were set in their place for His glory, power and desires for His plan. It is so well done and covered you will not find Him unless you seek. Even then, it is by Faith and trust. You do not want to find so will not find me nor Him. Unless, you see the need. And that, takes understanding who you are. If not, you will not seek. If you need any item and it is rare, you must be very diligent to get it. So in Spirit matters this is more apparent.

July 14, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Murray Braun

You are inconsequential. You are like all the believers who have perpetrated hate upon others, the non-Christians, the Jews.

July 14, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • Jay FTL

The same could be said of Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Or Zeus or Apollo. Or Shiva or Krishna. Or... need I go on?

July 14, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Walt

I doubt Bill Maher is going to answer you. But I have a thought or two.

You said: "It is by revelation of His Spirit. "

Personal Revelation is really only useful for the person who receives it. There are many religions, many gods. The members of each believe they have had personal revelations from their god. How do you know yours is real and theirs is false?

You said: "life is no joke. It is a creation for purpose and it is for His purpose. All of this including you were set in their place for His glory, power and desires for His plan."

Hmm... Interesting, but even if your statement is true, it doesn't prove the Christian god is responsible. The "His" in your statement may well be the god of Islam... or the Hindu god(s)...

For all its beauty and grandeur, the universe is also full horrible things. Babies born without brains, good people suffering monstrous tortures such as neurofibromatosis, evil people basking in the sun and enjoying long lives. Volcanoes erupting, earthquakes killing and maiming thousands, hurricanes and tsunamis blindly wiping out human life.

You would think a god with all that power and glory, could do a little better...just saying...

Christians claim their god is All knowing, All powerful and All good. Never mind, that it is impossible for any being to be all three of these at the same time.

1.If god is Omnibenevolent, He would WANT every human to believe in Him.
      The bible says He does:

2 Peter 3:9
      9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. King James Version (KJV)

1 Timothy 2:4
      4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. King James Version (KJV)

2. If god is Omniscient, then He would KNOW exactly how to convince anyone and everyone that He exists.

3. If god is Omnipotent, then He would be ABLE to convince anybody and everybody that He exists.

Yet, ~ 67% of the world's population are not Christians.

Therefore, the Christian god is very unlikely to exist.

Cheers!

July 14, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  18. Fruits and Vegetables

...We're not anti-theists we're anti-oxidants

July 14, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Petros

Actually LOL'd at this

July 17, 2011 at 6:25 am |
  19. Walt

To Bill Mahre

I understand, you do not know I exist, you just have my words here. Yet, you may have preponderance that I do have life. But I have a name and a place and I do exist. My name is Walter Woodliff. But, you can't prove I exist nor tell others about me. I haven't introduced myself to you or have reason to interact with you but in this forum. So it is for Him who is above all things. It is by revelation of His Spirit. It may make good joke material, but essentially, life is no joke. It is a creation for purpose and it is for His purpose. All of this including you were set in their place for His glory, power and desires for His plan. It is so well done and covered you will not find Him unless you seek. Even then, it is by Faith and trust. You do not want to find so will not find me nor Him. Unless, you see the need. And that, takes understanding who you are. If not, you will not seek. If you need any item and it is rare you must be very diligent to get it. So in Spirit matters this is more apparent.

July 14, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Chaite

That is so dumb. Your people know you exist. No one knows if god exists.

July 15, 2011 at 5:28 am |
  20. Jim

Bill, You will care about it one second after you die!

July 14, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Jim wrote: "Bill, You will care about it one second after you die!"

And you know this... how??

July 14, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • R_Muasher

How do you know, JIm?

July 14, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Get back to us with an eye-witness account right after you kick the bucket, Jim.

July 14, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Free

You seem excited by that thought, Jim. Wouldn't the God you believe in frown on such gloating? Maybe you'll find out how much He appreciates your callousness a second after you die, eh?

July 15, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Free

Jim
      Do you have plans to have a coin placed under your tongue to pay Charon for your crossing of the river Styx? You may just as easily regret not doing that one second after you die, right?

July 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm |