home
RSS
July 12th, 2011

Bill Maher explains his 'apatheism,' apathetic atheism

Comedian Bill Maher sits down with Piers Morgan to talk about growing up Catholic and becoming an "apatheist," an apathetic atheist who just doesn't think much about religion.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner

soundoff (1,340 Responses)
  1. Russell V

Proving something doesn't exist is just as difficult as proving something does exist. No one can win this argument. You can't prove God's existence or lack thereof. It is all about BELIEF. If you could prove something, you couldn't believe in it because you can only accept a fact, not believe in it. Did that make any sense?

July 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • adrian

now I NEED A BONG HIT

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Laughing

Please go back outside and play, the adults are talking.

July 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Skeptic

Actually, it's impossible to prove the non-existence of anything. The burden of proof is on those that claim something exists. I don't need any proof to say that I don't believe in the existence of something when there is no affirmative proof for that thing's existence. All I need to say is, "I'll believe it when I see the proof." This applies to Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, ghosts, and supreme beings.

July 12, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Skeptic-"I don't need any proof to say that I don't believe in the existence of something when there is no affirmative proof for that thing's existence."

Wrong...if you do you are being intellectually lazy. By saying there is no God, you are also saying that the co.cept of God came from another manner other than those of the faith believe. The challenge is for you to prove your point of view.

July 12, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • moochy

@ Lycidas-no, you are wrong. You cannot prove a negative.

July 13, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
  2. Mannu

Can you be in the dream that I dream of? No. And neither can I be in your dreams. Therefore some answers are better left to the knower. It is this way , sorry. Hence Buddha was silent for years before deciding to preach to the choir. And boy I am glad he did. Jesus like most westerners was looking for a father figure. Most catholics looks for a father figure too. Unlike St Paul who I bet was looking for Mother God. Every knows God in their own way. Atheists avoid to acknowledge God because of a certain fear which I would not like to go in to . But they are right, God is not a person.

Bill Maher, mocks "false" religion and I sometimes find his viewpoints very humorous and intelligent.

My 2 cents.

July 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
  3. Guest

So, all the religion-bashers here, especially JH who wants us to see the forest for all the trees, you can't see that even if religion is connected to some unfortunate parts of human history that it's also done many good things for people too? Name an organization that actively teaches atheism that has fed more poor people than the Catholic church. Admitting that some good comes from religion doesn't mean you have to believe it. Just try to have some intellectual honesty.

July 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Laughing

Keep in mind, and this is what most believers still have a tough time believing in. When an atheist brings up the evils that religions has perpetrated in history, they aren't saying religion has never done any good and has only done evil (well most of us anyway). I know that christianity, and by extension most religions have done a lot of good for people over the years, but think of it like the rest of us. Good people will do good acts, with or without religion. Evil people will do evil with or without religion, now what about those people in the center who might seem ambivalent to a certain subject but then is "pushed over the fence" as it were. More often than not it's these people that atheists (myself included) believe would not perpetrate the evil they are if religion wasn't there. A specific example, an obviously it relates to current events, but how many people do you think would be opposed to gay marriage if religion was taken out of the equation? I'm not saying there wouldn't be any opponents, but do you realize how much those numbers would diminish when most people who are against gay marriage (or gay people in general) have religion taken out of the equation?

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Gaven

Name ONE thing someone who is religious can do only through a religion's teachings that an atheist cannot. And don't give me any of this "we can go to heaven, atheists can't!" crap because there is no heaven. Atheists do not have to be religious to be good, to help people, to be moral, etc. What makes an atheist better than someone who is pious is that we don't judge people based on what some poorly translated book says or by how some "spiritual" leader tells us to treat others; we judge people based on their actions. We tend to criticize when some idiot opens his mouth or does something stupid, which is more often the case than not when some religious zealot comes along and says something or acts on behalf of his religion. You'd probably do the same thing if you were not indoctrinated into your fairytale belief system since the time you were young.

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  4. Muneef

Have watched that by coincidence and seen him (Bill Maher) say that when he is in trouble he bargain with God to save him but when he is saved all is over..
    Then he said prayers are like talking or asking to an imaginary friend....? Strange that was although he admitted that when he is in trouble only he pray or talk to the imaginary friend that he disbelieves in or doubt it's existence !?

Some Quran verses that speaks about;

Death and Resurrection: Every Day*

[6:60] He is the One who puts you to death during the night, and knows even the smallest of your actions during the day. He resurrects you every morning, until your life span is fulfilled, then to Him is your ultimate return. He will then inform you of everything you had done.

[6:61] He is Supreme over His creatures, and He appoints guards to protect you. When the appointed time of death comes to any of you, our messengers put him to death without delay.

[6:62] Then everyone is returned to GOD, their rightful Lord and Master. Absolutely, He is the ultimate judge; He is the most accurate Reckoner.

[6:63]** Say, "Who can save you from the darkness of the land or the sea?" You implore Him loudly and secretly: "If He saves us this time, we will be eternally appreciative."

[6:64] Say, "GOD does save you this time, and other times as well, then you still set up idols besides Him."

[6:65] Say, "He is certainly able to pour upon you retribution from above you, or from beneath your feet. Or He can divide you into factions and have you taste each others' tyranny. Note how we explain the revelations, that they may understand."

[6:66] Your people have rejected this, even though it is the truth. Say, "I am not a guardian over you."

[6:67] Every prophecy herein will come to pass, and you will surely find out.
    -----

July 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • adrian

you should change your name to "SKYPILOT"

July 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • KK Denver

How about asspilot

July 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Muneef, I like you, but your Islam is total backwardness.

Did you already know?: Jesus is the eternal Son of God. He is a person of the Trinity.

July 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Gaven

Just for your edification, people that go around quoting verses out of a holy book, especially in the amount that you just did, are nothing less than short-sighted, illogical, pompous, self-righteous, religious zealots.

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Jon

"...when he is in trouble he bargain with God to save him but when he is saved all is over.."

Interesting hypothesis. Where's your evidence?

July 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Muneef

Any way we should not judge him since only God knows what is in his heart in belief or in disbeleif....after all he is a show man and such as those celebrities prefer to hide their actual belief since if they say the belief this or that could have adverse effects on them and unneeded publicity with such medias that you have getting into the most confidential and personal details of every climbing or falling celebrities....
      It is safer and more rewarding to say and pretend being of (apathetic/atheism) after all seems the majority are non religious, as well as it seems his shows are built to target those (apathetic/atheism) to get them lough on jokes made on those (Religious or Extreme Religious) ones who are in politics...
      Now about "Spagitimonister" thing I say;

Do Not Take God's Name in Vain

[2:224] Do not subject GOD's name to your casual swearing, that you may appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people. GOD is Hearer, Knower.

[2:225] GOD does not hold you responsible for the mere utterance of oaths; He holds you responsible for your innermost intentions. GOD is Forgiver, Clement.
      -----–

July 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Muneef

Seems you have not watched the whole meeting talk and not only the "Religion" part...already some of you becoming Judgical...calling me names...! Watch today's full meeting and you will know what I was talking about....

July 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Muneef

He said he was of a Catholic Mother and a Jewish Father;
      Maher is an Irish surname deriving from the Gaelic O'Meachair- meaning the "kindly" or the "generous". There is also an unrelated Arabic surname or first name meaning "skillful".
      Maher (god), or Mahrem, an ancient god of Aksumite pantheon

Maher or Mahrem is a god of the Aksumite Ethiopians. Son of main god Ashtar, he was the deity of war, compared with Mars or Ares in Classical sources who used both forms of the interpretatio.

July 12, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""Do not subject GOD's name to your casual swearing, that you may appear righteous, pious, or to attain credibility among the people."""

So, Muneef, tell me why Muslims shout allahu akbar! as they kill people. How is that concept explained by your Qur'an? Seems to me your quote above could apply equally well to that profanity.

July 12, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • MomOf3

I believe that Mr. Maher's statement was that when he was younger and still sort of indoctrinated in the Catholic church, he would pray to god to get him out of situations and try to make deals, but that he didn't do that any longer.It's about 2:45 in the video.

July 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Muneef

Jeff.

"laillah ilaa allah,AllahoAkbar" "no other God than One God, God is Bigger"
      These words has always been the call for prayers and was the flag that the Muslims carried during wars from time Islam was founded and established in Arabia....
      These words were our call and flags as well during the Crusaders time when their flag was a Cross...although do not know what they were shouting with when they made their kill of Muslims, nor that I know what they say now that they are atheists...or what ever mix up you hold !?

July 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • specialist11

So it IS the easter bunny who puts those eggs in my backyard every year.

July 12, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  5. mac jones

No one is going to contemplate being dead (religion) when they are high on the hog, unless they are sick or weird. Religion is for the sick and the broke and the lonely (not to mention crazy). Just the ways it is. Also, ALL religious leaders become total hypocrites once they become famous unless the are in a monastery (stuck in a monastery I should add-poor fools) LOL

July 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  6. CW

Bill Maher...what a joke.

"Every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that he is Lord". From what I've read there are sooooo many people on the "prove it" or the other one I like "what makes you think your God is the only one"

I guess that I have to address the first one first. Those on the "prove it" kick I'll just say that John 3:16 was written just for you. Unfortunately God did do the "prove it" thing when he as Jesus Christ came and died for your's and my sins. I would say if that isn't proof enough for you then you'll just have to wait and see. Secondly...just like you put faith in the fact that your car will start or that the sun will rise tomorrow its the same for us christians. You see....it takes Faith here as well.

Second question: As far as God's go Its my faith combined with the Bible's teachings that say that there are no other Gods..just one Jesus Christ. That is all that is needed to convince me but I'll put it to you this way....I would bet my life that my God Jesus Christ is the only God....you willing to put your life on the line for believing that there is no god? Better yet....I'll ask the same question to you: What makes you think that Jesus Christ isn't the only true God?...Books..man's teachings...your own error'ed thinking?

July 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Mark

Wow. Do you have any evidence of the providence of the bible, it's authors, translators, etc.? No you do not. No one does. It's just a book. But you're probably the same moron who thinks the world was created 6000 years ago and that people once lived for 900 years.

July 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • louis

Your reply is the root of alot of problems in the world It's only Your "god" that is the one, how about Allah, Hindu's, and any other quacks..

July 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Chas in Iowa

During each translation of the bible the church in place at the time took very distict liberties in each translation rendering the bible itself into a book. The translations were used to bend perceptions to control the masses in each era.
      Religon itself is fine but don't try and place the bible at the center as a reference.

July 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • PirateRo

Tell you what, CW...

Show me god and we'll take it by the hand over to a scientist for dissection and then we can have a discussion about it. Until then all you have is delusion and they make medication to help you.

July 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Tan

Amen CW!! People don't see the wind, but we love breathing the air that it gives. Creation tells of God's splendor and his majesty. In the end, we will all know what was what! May God continue to bless you and your family 🙂

July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • i wonder

CW,

Do you know how many times over the centuries folks died because of "my god is better than your god"? Read up on Amun vs Aten in ancient Egypt for just one instance of this.

July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • adrian

Dear CW,

Please be careful you don't sail off the edge of the world! (I think it's flat, too)

July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Billy

Jesus is a fictional character from a book. How is simply stating that Jesus is God proof of anything?

July 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Mr. Wolf

You do realize Jesus Christ wasn't God, right? From your rantings, I get the impression you have read only the parts of the Bible that reinforce your own views, and even those views are pretty wrong. I like Jesus Christ for the most part, it's just Christians like you I can't stand.

July 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Space Wizard

CW, you need to look up the definition of "proof". Just because there may have been a lightning storm isn't proof that Zeus was hurtling lightning at earth. A verse in a book or a story from a preacher don't make something true.

I have "faith" that the sun will rise because the earth revolves around the sun and barring some unforeseen consequence it will still be doing so tomorrow. I have "faith" that my car will start because the engineers at Toyota designed it to using science and not magic.

If you base your faith on a book saying something is true and people telling you its true that just makes you a gullible sucker. The Koran tells Muslims that Allah is the only god but that doesn't make it true either. If you had grown up reading the Koran and your parents had told you its true, you would right now be talking about Mohammed and Allah instead of Jesus and God because you, like most humans, are inherently a gullible sucker.

July 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Space Wizard

Sorry. I meant to say the sun rises because the earth spins on its axis. All this religious garbage has been killing my brain cells.

July 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Gaven

Double what Mark said.

Oh, and CW, clearly you are just as brainwashed and ignorant as those Muslim extremists out there. You come off as being so devote to your ideologies that you would be willing to sacrifice your life for the greater good of your religion. So when are you planning your suicide mission in the name of your Lord and savior...you know, to really get your point across to the "heathens"? Please let us all know when and where you are going to sacrifice your life along with the lives of innocent people in the name of your great religion so that we can steer clear of that area. Thanks!

July 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Billy

PROOF: The sun rises and falls due to the God called Helios, who is crowned with the shining aureole of the sun, and who drives the chariot of the sun across the sky each day!

July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Space Wizard

@Billy: Haha, nice one. Sadly that is more believable than an invisible wizard impregnating a woman 2000 years ago who then gave birth to that same wizard who was also his own son... sort of. This wizard then died to erase a curse on all humans and then came back as an even more powerful zombie wizard.

July 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Lycidas

Wow..the haters come out in droves and telling lies. Sorry, but being a Christian doesn't mean you think the world is flat..just your head.

July 12, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  7. MikeyMike

Where did Maher come from and who originally thought he was funny?

July 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • tom

Some questions cannot be answered

July 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • adrian

evidently the folks at HBO...... you ever heard of them?

July 12, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Pete

Ha, very good question. I don't care much for his comedy, but I think his political commentary and interviewing skills are top notch.

July 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Bobbie

Amen to that!! He is an arrogant, ignorant jerk!!

July 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  8. TRH

I'm a 6.9 too, Bill...your a good man.

July 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  9. Mark

Maher may be a bit shaky on the "I dont think about it much", But he's right on about the general topic. Any one who believes in any religion, (and there are so many to choose from and scoff at), needs to read Grimm. His fairy tales are much more real than the Bible, whichever Bible you choose.

July 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Ceri

Well, that's just fine. I hope you are trying to live your life according to the lessons the Grimm tales contain. But I doubt if you are, most atheists I've met are just wishy-washy people who don't want to have to think – period.

July 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • KK Denver

Ceri: I would bet green money you have never met a single one

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Ceri
      Yes indeed.
      The overwhelming majority of scientists the world over are a bunch of lame brained, wishy washy losers who just can't be bothered to think about anything.
      Dr. Greg Graffin's Thesis "Monism, atheism, and the naturalist worldview: Perspectives from evolutionary biology" revealed the following statistics about biologists from 22 countries: 83.89% are irreligious; 87.92% reject life after death; and 77.85% affirm philosophical naturalism as their world-view.

Stupid scientists. When will they stop believing and start thinking?

July 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Mayflower

@ Doc Vestibule, your argument assumes there are no scientists of faith. That's a crock of poo. Why do you assume that to be religious one must necessarily be stupid? Sure, religion gives the uneducated and poverty-stricken hope for a better life, but it also provides spiritual nourishment for the educated as well.

July 12, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Mayflower
      I am assuming nothing – I am referencing a scientific study.

July 13, 2011 at 7:55 am |
  10. Steve

I am constantly amazed at how fervently people who profess to believe that God does NOT exist will attack those who do believe. I do not waste a lot of time trying to talk people out of their belief in alien lifeforms, sasquatch, or Santa Claus. I don't personally believe any of them exist, but it doesn't trouble me that others do. Truth is: I am way too busy to take the time to argue about someone who believes something that I truly could not care less about. So why are people so bent on arguing the existance of God. If you don't believe, go out and start living life rather than chastising others for what you consider 'foolish', becasue you seem awfully foolish by doing so.

July 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • louis

Beacuse the "elievers" constantly brainwash our youth from birth on that thye to believe or they will burn in Hell.

July 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Peter

It's not about existence of God, it's about buying into made up stories and then acting on those beliefs. Beliefs mean nothing, it's the actions that ensue that matter. If someone's belief in Santa Clause led to their ability to make life-altering decisions that impact others, you would try to do something about it. It's called rationality and often times religious people lack it. That goes for those who believe in the non-existence too. Opposite ends of the spectrum are often the same place.

July 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • chase

Unlike aliens and bigfoot, millions of people have been killed in the name of religion. Hundreds, if not thousands of small boys have been molested by the catholic church. Church leaders feverishly attempt to "lead" their followers towards political ends, yet the USA was founded on the principal that chuch/state should be separated. Abortion clinics get bombed by religious folk. The KKK was/is an extension of certain churches. Churches profess that the world is 6000 years old, and ask our youth to be taught creationism in place of science. Need I continue?

July 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • TRH

You miss the point. Organized religion, especially when practiced by zealots, is inherently dangerous. We see this every day. History has shown this to be true. It has permeated our laws for two centuries. We are and need to remain a secular republic. Right now we have a group of people wanting to become the president of the United States. To a man (or woman) they profess a strong belief in a mythical deity. Don't think for a minute that any one of them would not want to change an existing law or add new ones based on a religious concept...Roe v. Wade being an example.

You might be glad to know that the thought of any one of these people as president along with a Repub majority in the house AND senate terrifies me. Yes, it really does. You might NOT be glad to know that there are millions of us who feel this way....and we vote, too.

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Jon

"I am constantly amazed at how fervently people who profess to believe that God does NOT exist will attack those who do believe"

People who make extraordinary claims (whether it's a belief in the supernatural or not) without any credible evidence are opening themselves up to ridicule. The onus is not on the person that does not share your beliefs to disprove them–you can't prove a negative–the onus is on the person that makes extraordinary claims to qualify them with credible evidence. (No the bible, or any holy text, is not credible evidence). I believe in god(s) if you take the concept as abstract with a definition as a euphemism in a science context as, "I don't know". That's a lot more honest that your average Christian.

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Gaven

I fervently attack the view point of those individuals that insist their God/Jesus/Allah is real in the same manner I would attack anyone that tried to insist Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are real. We live in a world of science, technology, and human advancement. Religion and the belief in some "God" lost their appeal to men and women of reason and logic several hundred years ago. Your God has no relevance on this earth anymore except to those who are short-sighted, illogical, and foolish.

July 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • specialist11

I would agree with you. The problem is that we're attacked every day by our culture and the media. How long can you go on believing in scientific evidence and common sense when everyone around you is beating you over the head with religion. You're either a fool and you drop out of society, or you fight back. Bill Maher is the only public person I know of who has decided enough is enough, im going to fight back against this oppressive, militant religious plague that's destroying our nation

July 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  11. jamie

Religious people are all nuts to a certain degree. Have you seen God? And you have proof? No. So I think it's safe to say, you have no idea what you're talking about. Atheists have nothing to prove. They just don't take part in believing the completely unproven.
    Religion is nothing but beliefs based on hope and faith with ZERO of it based on anything that can ever be proven.

July 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • split

jamie, i think i love you

July 12, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • specialist11

If there were true separation of religion from political decisions, and we could all just co-exist under secular, rational law, then there wouldnt be much of an issue at all, would there? I'd be very happy living with Christians and muslims and anyone else if they would just keep their fingers out of politicians' pockets and focus on their religion for themselves.

July 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  12. louis

One has to look no further than all the lives that were wrecked/ destroyed in the Catholic Priest scandal to know that there really isn't a "God".

July 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • CM

July 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • PirateRo

Indeed, yes, Louis, I agree completely.

The delusional aspects of someone so desperately clinging to this idiocy are astounding. They make medicine for this.

July 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • MomOf3

No, Louis, they shouldn't be ignored, but why would any rational person continue to hold to a belief system that perpetuates this type of behavior...and don't give me the BS about free will and choice! That's just an excuse to behave badly and it's an old excuse!

July 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • MomOf3

OOPS! meant my reply to CM...

July 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Pops

CM said:

"And what about the billions of other people that have known peace in their lives due to faith? Should they be ignored?"

That a religion has had a pacifying effect for a lot of people does not prove the validity of the claims of the religion. What of the millions of other people who have had their lives ruined and even cut short by religion? Should they be ignored? What about the people who subscribe to a religion which is different than yours but have known peace in their lives due to their faith? Should they be ignored?
      I am an atheist and a Buddhist. The only question that to me seems pertinent is why the heck can't we all just get along?

July 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  13. UncleM

If heaven and hell do exist, I'd choose heaven for the weather but hell for the company.

July 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Jon

81% of the prison population are 'saved'. 94% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences are doomed to hell for their unbelief. Heaven doesn't sound appealing to me either because of the dodgy company, and the celestial dictator that runs the gig lets 9 million children under the age of 5 die each year. Doesn't sound much like a loving god to me, or is but is clearly utterly inept. But this common sense and reason likely will not resonate with people of faith, who have tendency to rebuttal by quoting scripture or getting into circular arguments.

July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  14. louis

The sooner all people stop believing in a made up "God"/Allah or whatever the flavor of the week is, the more peaceful this planet will be.

July 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Mike

We'd find something else to fight over

July 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • i wonder

Mike,

Yes. Unfortunately aggression and the "warrior gene" has been all too successfully passed along over the eons. If we don't learn how to control it, we will wipe out the species.

July 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  15. enoughAlready

He may not think much of religion, but he takes every opportunity to bash it. "Me thinks thou doth protest too much," Bill.

July 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • JH

Umm yes he does, and thankfully so. Clearly religion in all of it's forms, have bled death and corruption across the globe. Try to see the forest for the trees...

July 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • Brian

If you're gonna misquote, drop the quotation marks.

July 12, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Peter

Considering how much most of the rest of the country/world talks about religion, Bill Maher hardly scratches the surface. It's not that he doesn't literally think about it much, it's that he doesn't think buying into it is that important. It's impossible for anyone to function in our society today without thinking about religion. Without religion, we have no one to hate and no one to tell us how to think. Bill Maher doesn't need that kind of shepherding like the rest of you sheep.

July 12, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
  16. Mike

"an apathetic atheist who just doesn't think much about religion." – WHAT??? For someone who constantly talks about it, and made a movie about it, who could this man even try to claim he "doesn't think about it much". That's the most ridiculous thing i've heard yet.

July 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • bbb

You actually misquoted the same thing you quoted. Not "thinking about it much" and "not thinking much about it" are two different things. If you don't think much about it, you don't have a very high opinion of it. If you don't think about it much, it doesn't even cross your mind much. Two completely different things. Your welcome.

July 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  17. rick

Who let the kids out?

July 12, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
  18. Dan H

God MADE me an atheist !! Who are you to question his divine wisdom???

July 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • s2kMATTers

Nope! God gave you free will. Next!

July 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Jeff Williams

"""God gave you free will. Next!"""

Not so fast. Why free will? Explain this please.

July 12, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • MomOf3

Free will is a man-made excuse to behave badly and not take any blame! NEXT....

July 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  19. Karen B

Watch Bill Maher's movie "Religulous". It's an eye opener on religion.

July 12, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Mike

So a guy who made a movie about religion "doesn't think about it much"???

July 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • i wonder

Mike,

"Religulous" is more about the goofy, misguided followers than it is about the actual religions.

July 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Rae

MIKE – Bill didn't say he doesn't think about religion much. He said he doesn't think much about religion. Meaning he doesn't think much OF it. As in, he's not a big fan of it. A little reading comprehension skills goes a long way...

July 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Karen B

In the movie, Maher was insightful about how much religion misguides and influences people in the wrong way. Islamists think their Mohammed is the only one God Jesus Christ is the only one God, etc. I personally liked the guy in Amsterdam that smoked pot and thought his hair was on fire. I was raised to believe in God, but I don't believe in religion anymore. All I ever got from Christiany was to do good or you were going to hell. Period. Most of the Christians that I have come across are hypocrites although I have known some that were truly Christians and I have enjoyed their friendship.

July 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  20. Bill Starrett

Bill Maher may be the heir apparent to George Carlin.
    Speak for me, Ranger Bill!

July 12, 2011 at 1:20 pm |