home
RSS
July 12th, 2011

Bill Maher explains his 'apatheism,' apathetic atheism

Comedian Bill Maher sits down with Piers Morgan to talk about growing up Catholic and becoming an "apatheist," an apathetic atheist who just doesn't think much about religion.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner

soundoff (1,340 Responses)
  1. Michael

For someone so apathetic about religion, he sure does talk about it a lot.

July 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  2. Thor

Some people think I'm only a comic book character but I'm actually a god people once believed in. Hopefully my recent movie spawns some new believers.

July 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • funny_name

I think you've got a good shot at gaining some believers.–unlike most gods, we can actually SEE you.

July 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  3. Steve Dalton

Here's my take: We and everything around us is proof that SOMETHING started all this- I'm just not arrogant enough to put a definitive label on what that something is- let alone crusade and demonize people into believing it. Who knows what started all this? Nobody. We're just a bunch of bacteria covered creatures scratching around on a desolate rock hurtling through space at thousands of miles per hour....in a unimaginably vast void that seems to have no end and people want to talk about CONTROL? It's all an illusion....Live a good life, be good to people and don't waste too much time with pointless arguments that can never be resolved. The irony is that I hope I'm wrong and I get to go to "Heaven" and chill with Jimi Hendrix and drive a Lamborghini on an ocean of Maker's Mark.....but I'm thinking that probably won't happen.....What will? Who knows?

July 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Mark

Steve, I like the way you think. Too bad +85% of of humanity chooses to subscribe to 'a higher god'. Life on this rock would be so much easier if rational thought were everyone's basis for considering our existence and place in the universe.

July 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • george busch

Life is the result of amino acids mixing at the right time and the right place to create simple life. Through evolution, mutations and favorable selection man came along. Therefore, we can conclude that one or more of the following are true:
      God = Chance
      God = Mutation
      God = Favorable Selection
      God = Man
      Therefore – I am God

July 12, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Camillo

TO whoever believes that life is the result of amino acids mixing at the right time and the right place to create simple life. Through evolution, mutations and favorable selection man came along RELLY have A LOT of BLIND FAITH. It has been proven scientifically that life only come from life. Thus, Non living matter does NOT result in living matter. This has been proven and you can prove it too.
      So for whoever believes that life came from non living matter must have a HUGE FAITH.
      I do not have that faith, so i am an umbeliever.

July 12, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Steve

Hmm..science has proven that life only comes from life. You made that up!..Organic compounds such as amino acids derived through a mixture of elements as seen in the Miller abiogenisis experiments in the 1950's. More recent similar experiments have created at least 2 of the 4 nucleotides that make up RNA. So although not conclusive some progress in the area of abiogenisis is taking place. On your main point of life only coming from life there is a problem. If god is life then he must have been created by some other life. You cannot just stop conveniently where you want to on this track if you follow your logic through. Now if you claim god is non-life then life could not have derived from non-life based on your theory. oops. Another point is your very claim that life only comes from non-life which you are taking from actual experience. A similar statement would say that intelligence only derives from a brain, does god have a brain? No, he is non-material therefore he is not intelligent. Same logical sequence as your original claim. Gotta think it through a bit more as most theist tend not to do.

July 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
  4. Earthmover

Also, I don't need someone taking responsibility for my "sins". They are mine! I made them! As a full grown, evolved human being, I am FULLY capable of accepting responsibility for muy actions. Religion=get out of jail free card. Hitler is in heaven for all we know! All he had to do was confess his sins as he died according to christian doctrine!?! Way to go christians. By the way I do not capitalize words like christian or god purposefully. So no grammar naggers, please.

July 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Chris

"Also, I don't need someone taking responsibility for my "sins". They are mine! I made them! As a full grown, evolved human being, I am FULLY capable of accepting responsibility for muy actions."

And that, my friend, is absolutely your decision and is the entire premise of the doctorine of free will.

July 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • george busch

Free will – the basis for every devil/possession movie ever made and good vs. evil fairy tale. And the bible (which I believe falls into the fairy tale realm also).

July 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
  5. dugee

II am an athiest and I have read the Bible as well as religious mythologies of other cultures.I think more christians should read it as well. If that god were real I for one would not worship it. After reading Judges, I would have to conclude that this god is an iincompetent bloodthirsty boob.'Believe in me or I will have my chosen people kill all your men and take all your virgins'. Yikes. I am sure if WC Fields was reading the bible it was only to see what the great unwashed were talking about. 'Go'way god, you bother me'.

July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  6. Michael P.

Until someone can intelligently resolve which God is the one, true God, I have no use for any of it. Without a resolution on that issue, God, Buddha, Allah, etc. are no different than Zeus, or the Tree Gods, or any of the rest. "God" is nothing more than a tradition, passed down like a family heirloom. It is an figurehead for a set of beliefs as to how you should conduct yourself. People believe what their parents believed, and their parents believe what their parents believe, and so on.

I do not believe in any God, and yet somehow I manage to not go around killing and raping and stealing. Not becuase I am afraid of heaven or hell, but because I know that those things are wrong.

July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Chris

You state ""God" is nothing more than a tradition, passed down like a family heirloom. It is an figurehead for a set of beliefs as to how you should conduct yourself. People believe what their parents believed, and their parents believe what their parents believe, and so on."

What about those who, as an adult, converted to their religious or spiritual beliefs? That's hardly being passed down from parent to child.

July 12, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • WhosTheProgrammer

"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another." John 13:34 This is the one true God. Christ loved us so much that He was willing to die for us. NO other God has done this. Christ is the one true God.

July 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Stevie7

@WhosTheProgrammer,

Time to brush up on your religion studies. Both Dionysus (Greek) and Osiris (Egyptian) predate jesus and have some very odd similarities including being god and man, being born to a virgin, and ... resurrecting after being killed on something. So, jesus should get in line. Maybe Osiris is the One True God. Or maybe they're all myths.

July 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Stevie7

And really, with a god with as much love and capacity for forgiveness really give us a few decades to believe in him when giving us nothing than a contradictory book as "evidence" of existence but than torture us for all eternity if we choose not to believe? The god of the bible promotes slavery and murder – not exactly a very loving go, no?

July 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Artist

WhosTheProgrammer

---
      Sparky,

Christians were late to the game and plagerized.

July 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • John Richardson

Gods getting sacrificed is a mythological motif that goes way back before Jesus.

July 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Michael P.

@Chris Be careful what you ask. Of those who leave the faith in which they were raised (which overall is a small minority), most became agnostic or atheist as opposed to joining another religion.

July 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Michael P.

@Whosthe Programmer You're just the kind of Christian who reinforces my position. Your response to "Reconile all the different Gods" is to simply say that "The Bible says...." Using a religion's own propaganda as proof of its own validity is a false premise. Your response is no different than a Muslim saying "The Koran says...." Every religious tome obviously supports its own position. Reconcile that. Tell me why I should accept Christianity instead of the myriad other religions who all similarly assert their place as the one, true religion to the exclusion of all others.

July 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • moochy

Amen!

July 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  7. Bill

I understand where Bill Maher is coming from. I am an old man, for years been tormented by religion. Too much bloodshed, hunger and disasters since man walked on this earth. If God created humans, the first thing he did after that is just walked away. Having said that, I can honestly say that deep inside of me I still have faith. I finally figured out that the bible is just a book of fiction and that is what frustrates us. In my opinion our creator placed something inside every human, when we do good deeds our reward comes from within.Basically I don't expect anything from God, but a whole lot out of me and if there is a final judgement, well I hurt no one in this life. Now he can help a whole bunch of angry religious freaks by just saying, BOO that can be heard around the world at the same time.

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  8. Diest

I believe most people worship their religion FAR more than they do God. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Chris

Absolutely agree! What a wise comment!

July 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Ituri

There is no separating the religion from the god it embodies.

Its an enormous cop out to claim that somehow the implimentation is flawed, but the idea itself remains innocent. Especially in that only YOU somehow know the difference or how to better impliment the idea, which adds arrogance and hubris to the cop out.

July 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Randy M

I agree and most people who claim to be Christian don't really know what being a Christian entails. They don't know why they believe anything and just go with the flow. While I'm not an atheist and I do consider myself to be a conservative christian, I can understand why many people are atheist. This world give us and all mankind lots of choices. If enough people make bad choices then we wind up with a pretty sorrowful place. But we are not created as programmed robots so choice is always there. And as long as we have choice some will choose badly and we will have to deal with the consequences of those choices. If you are an atheist because the world is not perfect then in my opinion that is poor reasoning on the atheist part. Would he rather we all be robots with no choices?

July 12, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
  9. tom

some priests did bad things so God does not exist

some teachers did bad things so knowledge does not exist

some lawyers did bad things so law does not exist – right and wrong do not exist

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • WhiteDove

I take it your practicing your strawman fallacy technique? plays well in the echo chamber?

July 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Cal S

Your post makes no sense whatsoever. I can see what you tried to do... you failed. People have God without priests, you can have knowledge without teachers, and finally where you really went wrong lawyers. Lawyers do not enforce the laws, they don't make the laws, they just try to make money off the enforcement of laws and defense of people. I'm not sure where you are from but I hope to the God I don't really believe in that I am not from the same place as you.

July 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  10. Polaris431

Believing in God can only happen if God enables a person to believe in Him and believing that Jesus Christ is His son can only happen if God enables a person. Sorry Mr. Maher, but you cannot be raised a Christian. It is a conscientious decision made as an adult.

July 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Then how do Hindus end up believing in their faith? Your argument is moronic and just plain wrong.

July 12, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • doctore0

@Polaris431
      You are brainwashed, thats all

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • UGAMOM

Wrong – it's called "free will", and as humans, we're all given that gift from the very beginning...it's not something we come into as we reach adulthood.

July 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • MRsluggo

Yeah right. Most youth don't attend church. they wait until adulthood and all of a sudden decide "hey i believe in a god"

July 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Doubting Thomas

If God predetermines who is going to hell, then He is very cruel and not loving at all. Religious bigotry is rampant with ridiculous ways to prove itself and feel superior. This sounds like fear and ignorance to me.

July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • bgbg

I am not sure I have heard a more ridiculous comment on one of these message boards than "you can not be raised a Christian."

If you look at the studies surrounding the religious (or political) beliefs of people you will find that the most important relationship is between a person's faith as an adult and the faith they were raised in as a child. If people were never exposed to any religion whatsoever and were merely to come to it as an adult I would bet the numbers would be significatly lower. This does not "prove' one way or the other the debate about religion (the right, wrong or 'no' religion). For all I know the fact that most religious people were indoctrinated by their parents (and attending church or sunday school as a kid) may turn out to be the best thing that ever happened to that person. But to suggest that people can't be "raised" a particular religiong is just inane. Sorry.

July 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Chris

I think what Polaris is trying to say is, going to Sunday school, mass, church or any other religious function doesn't make you a Christian. Only the personal belief that Christ lived, was crucified and rose three days later for the sins of mankind makes a person a Christian.

I want to a Bar Mitzvah (sp?) when I was young. That doesn't make me Jewish.

July 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  11. karek40

I believe W.C. Fields was also a comedian and an atheist. On his death bed he was found reading the bible, when asked why he was reading the bible he replied I'm looking for a loophole. When it comes Mr. Maher's turn to die, he too will grovel and being a catholic he will call for a priest to pray for him and read him his last rites to no avail, the deciding factor is the acceptance of the sacrifice sent by God.

July 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Oh, so you've met Bill and can make this conclusion based on indepth knowledge?

That, or you're just talking out of your butt. If you don't believe in something, magical incantations isn't going to be high on your list.

July 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Stevie7

Please read Carl Sagan's wonderful book Billions and Billions. He wrote it as he was dying and talks about how much at peace he was with death being an atheist.

And really, arguing that people turn to religion because they're scared of death isn't really a great argument for religion. In fact, its a great argument for atheism – that people cling to religion as a coping mechanism for things that are difficult to deal with.

July 12, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Karen B

Bill Maher is a jew.

July 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  12. Luisa

I laughed when I read "a dude in sandals changing water to wine..." I can accept the idea of Jesus, a man, existing, but how can one accept that he was born to a Virgin who was impregnated by God through an angel, that he is the son of God, that he died, was buried, but came back??? Oh, common people, get real!

July 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
  13. Mannu

Can you be in the dream that I dream of? No. And neither can I be in your dreams. Therefore some answers are better left to the knower. It is this way, sorry. Hence Buddha was silent for years before deciding to preach to the choir. And boy I am glad he did. Jesus like most westerners was looking for a father figure even until his last moments. Most catholics looks for a father figure too. Unlike St Paul who I bet was looking for Mother God. Every one knows God in their own way. Atheists avoid acknowledging God because of a certain fear which I would not like to go in to. But they are right, God is not a person.

Bill Maher, mocks "false" religion and I sometimes find his viewpoints very humorous and intelligent.

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
  14. WB

Either there is a God, or there isn't a God, but it's just lazy to not take a few minutes to find out for yourself. If you ask him if He's there, He'll tell you.

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • The Bobinator

Allow me to translate: To believe in God, you must believe in God.

Wow.

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Stevie7

I'm hearing crickets...

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • george busch

I asked. I got no answer. So I looked around.I found nothing. You want to know why. Because there is no god. It is all just a myth to keep the weak-minded happy and content while they give the religous leaders money. Religion is the biggest business there is when it comes to giving nothing for something – and they are peddling it hard.

July 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • Ituri

I asked, and my dog told me to shut up and get the leash. Is my dog God? How would my dog being God, since he "answered" when I asked as you said I should, not have any more relevance than the God you pretend "answers" you?

The reality is that your question is highly romantisized to cover for its utter lack of thought. Its a question easy to ask, and easy to dismiss any answer you don't LIKE based on your particular feeling or opinion on the matter, meaning it is a useless question to ask at all.

July 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • WooHoo!

Sorry any answer you hear is your own delusion, period.

July 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • streetcar01

Until he tells me in some way, I will have a hard time believing.

July 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Jan

Take "a few minutes" to find out whether or not there is a god!? I guess you're saying it's as easy to do as finding out what's on TV tonight? Through the centuries, brilliant and thoughtful people have spent their lives seeking an answer, yet it took you the span of a commercial break. Hilarious.

July 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  15. Wow

We're all athiests to one degree or another. Some of us just disbelieve in one more god than some others.

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • neochess

That is Richard Dawkin idea, which has been refuted many but the sheep still did not get the memo!

July 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Elroy

Don't you think you should attribute that comment to it's author
      Richard Dawkins?

July 12, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
  16. Earthmover

Too many "tricks" from your christian "god" and that little novel that all you holier than thou folks call the bible. Any "god" that bestows free will upon man and then punishes him when he exercises this free will is a lying, egotistical, cheating worm. Y'all can have him/her/it, whatever. And for all of those folks who think atheism is a lack of beliefs, I believe in beauty, truth, love, honesty, honor, and the list goes on. Think for yourselves sheep. Most of all I believe in PEACE! All of the religions will fight ya' at the drop of a yarmulke. Put that in your incense burner and sniff it!

July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • WhosTheProgrammer

" I believe in beauty, truth, love, honesty, honor, and the list goes on" So you like the blessings of God but you do not like the consequences of breaking His laws. Think about this for a second, without free will there is no Love. If God programmed you to love and obey Him then this is not true love. God loves you to the point that He allows you to hate Him and He in return sent His Son to die for you so that your relationship can be restored. If you believe in the things you wrote about know this, YOU separate yourself from God in this life, you in return separate yourself from all these things you love in the next life. ALL Good Things Come From God!

July 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • The Bobinator

> Think about this for a second, without free will there is no Love. If God programmed you to love and obey Him then this is not true love.

If God is omnipotent and omniscient and created us, we cannot have free will.

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • neochess

That is the problem of the public education system! It produces stupids who utter the above inconsistencies.

July 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • JohnQuest

WhosTheProgrammer, If you are right and all things come from God, then all bad things come from God as well. Death, destruction, pain, and suffering, I don't think a God that send more pain and suffering than joy is worth worshiping.
      Therefor, if there is a God (I don't think there is) he/she/it would not be worthy of worship. You should consider that.

July 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • george busch

Is god so all-powerful that he can make a rock so big and heavy that even he can not lift?

July 12, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • Curious one

@ Whostheprogrammer; I never could understand that part about God sending his son to die FOR us part. How does that work? How can 'one person's' death forgive the sins of all? He sent his son to die to forgive our sins...I'm not understanding this. So you want your son to die to forgive us? Huh?

July 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Karen

You believe in beauty, truth, love, honesty, and honor as long as it has nothing to do with Christianity, right? I get sick of people claiming to believe in love who spout nothing but hatred out of their mouths. Why can't we embrace the best that humanity has to offer in each individual regardless of what they do or do not believe on a spiritual level? It's a little hypocritical to insult Christians for their lack of tolerance and their belief in the "magic" of their God while being intolerant of a system they obviously hold dear. Lumping all Christians into the same category (small-minded, intolerant, judgmental, weak) is just as ignorant as claiming that all African-Americans, all women, or all people from New England have exactly the same thoughts and opinions on every issue.

July 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Artist

Earthmover

-----------–

Not to mentiona outright perverted @ hole.

July 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Randy M

There are consequences to everything we do. If you push a ball with enough force it moves. If you hit another man in the face and he survives and is able to get up you will likely be in a fight. If you do____ then something will happen as the result of that action. That is not God punishing you, that is reality.

July 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  17. WhoIsTheProgrammer

DNA – The most sophisticated code known to man. So powerful that it builds the bio-mechanical machines of the world. We along with the creatures of this world are a marvel of bio, electrical and chemical engineering. Think of how many intelligent designers, engineers and craftsmen it would take to build a machine with the complexity of a ant. An ant is more complex than the entire space shuttle program. People space shuttles do not build themselves over time by random chance an neither do living organisms. You were created in the image of God, not the image of a primate. Stop thinking like a primate and use your God given brain. The truth of Christ is where you find true liberation.

July 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Blim

Does God create hurricanes or are they self-organizing?

The latter. That's what you can get in one day of self-organization. In one billion years of it, you get more. The only input needed is sunlight.

July 12, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Rick

how does the complexity of the world imply a "god" that judges sin?

July 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • HamsterDancer

I've never quite understood why some Christians think evolution is against or denies the existence of God. All it does is describe the mechanism for how life forms have changed and adapted over time to survive. I don't know why you can't believe in God and accept evolution. It's like saying fire is created by God but refuse to accept the chemical and electro-magnetic reactions that take place for it to exist.

July 12, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Michael P.

God is an ant?

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • karek40

Rick the complexity of the world implies something more complex than the sum total of everything in it (God), He said he would judge sin.

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Fazzy

So you're saying your god is a fat middle aged white guy?

July 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Juggling Squirrel-Jesus

@HampsterDancer,

Your views sound a WHOLE lot more deist than Christian. Just sayin'

July 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • MP

The truth is you don't have a religion. The truth is that if Jesus Christ aka Yeshui ben Josef were here today he wouldnt have the slightest idea what a cardinal bishop or pope is, nor would he know any of the nonsensical christian rituals. This savour you have chosen was an orthodox jewish rabbi. If you want to understand anything about what he stood for you would have follow the torah.

While we are on the subject, I hate to break it to you but every Jew in the world knows that yes he was married and yes he had children, Jews do not appoint Rabbis to their congregation that have never been married, we don't take advice from people who are inexperienced. Don't believe me? Please track down an orthodox rabbi with a congregation that has never been married...good luck

July 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • SB

The problem with an intelligent designer is, Who created the Creator? Who, then, created that Creator? We end up with a line of increasingly complex Creators.

Instead of saying a Creator always existed, it is easier to believe that elements and the laws of physics always existed.

And, if a Creator did happen to exist, I'm sure he/she wouldn't ask us to be happy to take and dash our children against stones Psalm 137:9.

July 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Believer

I agree with you that there is god however, it is definitely not Christ, Allah, Vishnu or any of the gods that people have made up. For gods sake Christ could not even ascertain the age of planet earth correctly!

July 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • WhosTheProgrammer

Blim, what scientist has proved this. Scientist can create all the ideal conditions for life and even provide living matter with it's components extracted and life still doesn't spring forth. So if scientist can't even create life with all the conditions and elements in place what makes you think billions of years will do any better? A guided process by human intelligence does not produce life, and you truly think enough time and sunlight will do the trick? That sounds like faith or a belief system to me, it doesn't sound like science.

Rick- God didn't create and ditch. God is with us. Just because you choose to ignore Him and His creation doesn't make Him disappear. The only place God doesn't exist is in the minds of those you are rejecting Him.

July 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • WhiteDove

What a load of nonsense. You have no idea what organisms do or don't do over 4 billion years. What we do know for a fact is that the creation myths handed down to us from ancient tribesmen (inc. the Bible) are proven wrong. We did not come from Adam and Eve 6000 or 10000 years ago. There was no worldwide flood. Noah didn't save all the little creatures. Animals were around long before the Eden myth dictates. And so on.

That goes a long way to dashing any credibility in the Bible and the claim that we need to be saved from "original sin". So toss that "saved by Jesus" stuff out the window.

The question remains, "How did life originate?" The answer is "We don't know." For some reason, some folks can't accept "don't know" and so they jump on to whatever load of bilge happens to pass through their life to explain it all. And then they run around cherry-picking and proselytizing for their misinformed position.

Over and over again throughout history, we have replaced supernatural explanations for phenomena in our world with the actual, testable natural explanations. Repeatedly, we discover natural explanations for what was once thought to be supernatural. The rising and setting of the sun was once thought to be supernatural. The tides were once thought to be supernatural. Angry volcanoes – once thought to have supernatural implications. All bunk. And now people want to plug-in more godstuff into the remaining unknowns. Predictable, but don't put your money on their myths. How many times have natural explanations been overturned for demonstrable supernatural explanations? Zero.

July 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Stevie7

If your designer is oh-so intelligent, why did he give us an organ that has little to no practical purpose, is entirely unnecessary, but occasionally kills. Conclusion: your designer is either not very intelligent or is very sadistic.

July 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Anonymous Paradox

Your unstated assumption is that because of observed mechanical devices are known to be engineered by some life form(in particular, humans), that it then follows biological lifeforms had to be engineered by some "intelligent" being of sorts. Can you justify that assertion?

Also, your idea of mechanical devices(e.g., a shuttle) assembling themselves by "random chance" echoes more about your misunderstanding of evolution and hence is very telling about your perception of how life arose. While explaining evolutionary theory to you would be virtually impossible without necessary prerequisites(a bit like trying to learn Calculus via communicating it on this forum) I can at least tell you that there is more to it than "random chance." There is also a very important component called "natural selection." And there are some other important selection pressures that would be worth studying about. But, you'll need to start with the basics so any current biology textbook would work as a decent starting point.

July 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Claymac

If one considers the world is just a tad bit older than 6000 years, oh yes, they most certainly can develop on their own. It's interesting to note, a space shuttle does not have one single part it does not need or was not designed for exactly how it's being used, while complex creatures, that evolved from lower life forms, have all sorts of parts that they do not need, or were originally meant to be used in a different manner. That's the difference between a MANufacture object and one that's has evolved over time.

July 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Juggling Squirrel-Jesus

@WhosTheDesigner: " A guided process by human intelligence does not produce life, and you truly think enough time and sunlight will do the trick? That sounds like faith or a belief system to me, it doesn't sound like science."

Seems to me that you could stand to brush up on your science. Experimental validation, mathematics, and logic requires no faith or belief. It does require a testable hypothesis, which your faith lacks. If you want to invalidate a hypothesis of evolution, you are free to do so.

July 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • HamsterDancer

@Juggling Squirrel-Jesus,
      I wasn't really trying to sound Diest or Christian or atheist. I was just trying to say if someone so chooses to be Christian it doesn't mean you have to turn off your brain and not accept what 100 years of exhaustive science has shown to be true. What someone's personal view of how the world is is fine by me as long as they don't force it on anybody (which of course is one of the main problems with the world).

July 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • funny_name

If even the tiniest ant is incredibly complex, then the god who was able to build it must be extremely intelligent, and must exhibit a level of intellectual complexity well beyond human capability. So, by your reasoning, god would be too complex to exist unless he himself was designed, unless you are saying that god in all his complexity just popped into existence. Occham's Razor removes god from the argument. You might as well just say that the ant popped into existence on its own rather than saying that there was an even more complex god who just happened to be there to create it.

July 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • GodPot

"People space shuttles do not build themselves over time by random chance an neither do living organisms. You were created in the image of God, not the image of a primate."

People, God's do not build themselves over time by random chance an neither do living organisms. You created God in the image of man, not the image of an invisible being no one has ever seen...

See where your argument breaks down? That little part about how complex things just can't happen by themselves, then you open the door to the supposedly most complex thing in the universe, its creator and just say "Poof! That makes sense."

July 12, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Randy M

Blim, Where did the sunlight, water and air come from? Hurricanes may self organize but the organization is based on materials and conditions created by something. Stephen Hawkings believes in gravity but where did the force of gravity come from? Is there gravity without mass? Is there mass without matter or material? Where did the matter come from? The Bible says God spoke the creation into existence. Is that really any different than the big bang theory? God explained how the universe was formed in a way that anyone at anytime in the history of the world can understand the basic concept.

July 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Creator

Then who created GOD? If God is perfect, he/she certainly didn't create us in his/her image. Nice try though.

July 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  18. WDinDallas

We have a word for Bill Maher, "narcissist". He doesn't care about anyone but Bill Maher and his opinions.

July 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Ituri

Yeah, because Leno and Conan care soooo much about other people.

You do realize that they're ALL the same, tv personalities? They're ALL narcicists, it comes with tv work.

July 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • WhiteDove

Oooh "narcissist". Are you an expert name-caller or new to this mode of discussion?

July 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • george busch

I would say that you will really be surprised when you die, but teh truth is you won't. You'll just be dead. The deam of the afterlife you spent your whole life working for – it will be dead too.

July 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  19. Rainer Braendlein

A divine talk with Job:

1 Knowest thou the time when the wild goats of the rock bring forth? [or] canst thou mark when the hinds do calve?

2 Canst thou number the months [that] they fulfil? or knowest thou the time when they bring forth?

3 They bow themselves, they bring forth their young ones, they cast out their sorrows.

4 Their young ones are in good liking, they grow up with corn; they go forth, and return not unto them.

July 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • susan

What the bloody he!! are you saying?

July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

5 Who hath sent out the wild ass free? or who hath loosed the bands of the wild ass?

6 Whose house I have made the wilderness, and the barren land his dwellings.

July 12, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  20. Robert Ray

god,the imaginary friends of adults.

July 12, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • GodPot

An imaginary friend who never calls, never stops by to say hi but still requires you to give his peeps 10% and give up your Sunday mornings for him. His friends keep claiming that we just missed him, he was just here, they claim the tire tracks in the snow prove he just left, but you never get to meet this all impoertant and powerful friend. His friends claim he can do anything and will protect them and their family from harm, but then make excuses for him when their child or a loved one is hurt or killed saying "he must have been busy" or "he wanted a new playmate wherever he lives" because thats obviously where their loved ones went they were taken away...

With friends like these, who needs enemies...

July 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm |