home
RSS
July 12th, 2011

Bill Maher explains his 'apatheism,' apathetic atheism

Comedian Bill Maher sits down with Piers Morgan to talk about growing up Catholic and becoming an "apatheist," an apathetic atheist who just doesn't think much about religion.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Atheism • Belief • Content Partner

soundoff (1,340 Responses)
  1. ToadInAustin

You know what I don't believe? I don't believe that it's at all enjoyable to be participating in a message board discussion that seems to be going along nicely, and then see it disappear for no apparent reason.

July 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Happens when a lot of people are posting quickly. It's there somewhere.

July 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • William Demuth

It is Allah jaming the Jesus freaks bandwidth.

July 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  2. brmk

Maher is too "smart" to know how dumb and foolish he is. Maybe idi-atheist is more accurate.

July 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • mfhpr

Even intelligent people believe there's a god. It's all about what you WANT to believe in when there's no proof.

July 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  3. SpudSter

He's just another Kathy Griffin, saying anything to stir the pot and try to stay in the limelight. I wouldn't be surprised if he does believe in God and Jesus in the privacy of his own home. He has read John 14:6

July 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • mfhpr

Why does it have to be about the limelight and attention? It's about belief and truth; just like santa, the easter bunny, monsters under the bed and in the closet, and the tooth fairy. I love that my daughter's innocence allows her to believe in these things, but know that in due time she will grow up and her intelligence will allow her to know what is real and what isn't. When religious people can explain to me in real terms how multiple races came from Adam & Eve, I'll give them some credit. Doesn't mean I'll believe in god, though. There's no proof. And, yes, I know you'll say there's no proof there isn't a god. Your burden is tougher to prove in my eyes.

July 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Bible Clown

mf, it's very important to them to both believe themselves and convince others that we are evil, since their book says we are.

July 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • mfhpr

Very true, BC.

July 12, 2011 at 5:44 pm |
  4. downtown dave

But, Mr. Maher, with you being Jewish, you have more proof than the average person that their is a God. It is through your people that God chose to reveal Himself to the world. The Jews received deliverance from bondage, they have the Patriarchs, the covenants, the Law, the Temple worship, and through the Jews is traced the human ancestry of Christ. You have your very existence from God. http://atheistlegitimacy.blogspot.com/

July 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Colin

Yes, just like in the Holocaust. Real proof that god is looking out for his "chosen people".

July 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • mfhpr

Did he not say in this interview that he's never been Jewish, or are you simply using this as a way to get your message out?

July 12, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Bible Clown

You mean there's historical proof besides scripture? Wow! Oh, you mean more opinions passed off as fact.

July 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  5. ZeroEvidence

ATTENTION CHRISTIANS!!!! Do you REALLY want to know where your religion came from?? Stop the delusion.
    Just watch:
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw&w=425&h=349%5D

July 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Bible Clown

You left the ] off the end of that, and nobody's convinced by YouTube anyway.

July 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  6. Leigh

Mr. Maher believes he has the answer about what happens to us after death. No one knows. His assumption is presumptuous. I am neither religious nor anti-religion. I simply acknowledge that I do not know. Agnosticism is the proper stance.

July 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Agnosticism is a stance about knowledge, not belief. You can't simply say you're agnostic. You must choose a side in regards to belief. You either believe in god or you don't and that makes you a theist or an atheist. Agnostic/gnostic is an adjective you apply to your belief. Thus I am an agnostic atheist since I cannot know for certain 100% that there isn't a god, but the chance I ascribe to that possibility is vanishingly close to zero.,

July 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • mfhpr

Huh? I thought I heard him say in this interview that he doesn't know and doesn't care to know what happens in death. Did I hear him wrong???

July 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Q

There is a distinction sometimes referred to as weak agnosticism, i.e. "I don't know, but maybe someone does" vs strong agnosticism, i.e. "I don't know and neither does anyone else". Atheism too can fall along a spectrum like this, but in any case, these are personal position statements. Like the reference to Dawkins, Atheists implicitly acknowledge they could be wrong in the absence of omniscience. What they are typically stating is a position based on perceived probability, i.e. "...given the absence/weakness of evidence for God, there's no reason to believe". I would offer that capricious dispensation of the knowledge of whether or not a God does or doesn't exist represents one branch of the many arguments against both the existence of a benevolent God and the prospect of actual "free will".

July 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • beth

Apparently you didn't watch the interview. Maher said he doesn't know and he doesn't care.

July 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Steve, that's pretty much what 'a-gnostic' means: I do not have complete knowledge. I can't examine the entire universe and look inside the planets, and God could be inside Jupiter or something. But as far as I can tell, there's no deity anywhere.

July 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Ok...let me clarify. If you check the dictionary the word Gnostic refers to knowledge. The term Theist refers to "belief in a God or gods. There are many self-proclaimed Gnostic Theists(those who "know" that the God they "believe in" exists). The Gnostic stance is unsupportable unless you are omniscient and fully places the burden of proof on the one making the claim. Most theists are reasonably agnostic(believe in God but don't claim certain knowledge of his existence). You would be hard pressed however to find a Gnostic Atheist(one who "knows" that their "disbelief in God" is absolutely true). That would shift the burden of proof to them just as it did for the theist. Agnosticism is the only reasonable choice no matter what you believe.

July 12, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  7. Jeses

Maher is awesome, he totally gets it- with all this religion crap getting shoved in our face all the time.... I mean enough already, practice your voodoo bs at home, let me the F alone already.

IF you believe in religion, then you MUST also believe in Santa Clause, the easter bunny etc... see what were talking about... its all BS your small minded weaklings.

July 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Bearin' Down

It seems to me that those who attack others based on their beliefs are small minded and weak.

July 12, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • mfhpr

bearin down: is that not what the freaks that live by the bible do? they judge people day in and day out...you know, like gay people. that's what i see in the news almost daily. how about you? do you not see this judgment occurring from those that believe in myths and a mythical piece of literacy?

July 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Bearin' Down

Someone judging others is, as you correctly say, a sign of weak minded people. However, judging others for who they are or their life style is not limited to the religious, as the above post so clearly demonstrates.

July 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  8. Tom from NY

If none of us believed in God, we would still find something to fight about. Religion doesn't kill people. People kill people. If everyone followed the golden rule or the Ten commandments, there would be no killing, no crime, no abuse, no stealing, no cause to hate.

July 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • MIC1979

Weird how a lot of Christians dismiss the old testament sayin is irrelavent in our time. If thats the case then the 10 commandments should be also since there from the old testament.

July 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  9. agnosticator

'The real John" I would be happy to follow Mr. Maher in a crusade. It's about time we take a stand against these people that hear imaginary voices, believe in ghost and walking on water and being raised from the dead. I had a Christian tell me he prayed to God he needed a TV and the next day he won $500 on a scratch-off....he believes God ensured he received the correct scratch-off to get his TV. Week minded crazy people!

July 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • alexander price

lol man i asked god for a new tv and all that happened was my old tv fell and broke 🙁 gods such a dick

July 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Sean

"week minded"

Oh, the irony.

July 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • alexander price

please, elaborate.
      unless all you wanted to do was troll

July 12, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Somecdnguy

I too once prayed to god for a new tv, for weeks and weeks and nothing happened. So I got fed up and just stole a tv and asked god for forgiveness

July 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
  10. Matthew

Wow a lot of hate for religion. If Athiesm is such a great system then why has our country been in decline ever since we started secularizing society?

My grandparents can describe how great the school system was, how divorce was uncommon, and how friendly people were in the south long before Secularization and liberalization.

Secularism and Liberalism has done wonders in Europe as well. We are faced with a major economic crisis, a high teen pregnancy rate, drug abuse on epic proportions, high suicide rates, high divorce rates, high numbers of kids growing up in single parent home.

Yes, let's kill religion. It has made the world so much better. It made Nazi Germany better when they wiped out Religion and threw Jews, Jehovah Witnesses, Catholic Priests, Lutherans, etc. in Concentration Camps. It made Soviet Union better that they banned religion. It has made the West and the United States so much better.

We have growned into such a superpower and stable society now that religion is out of schools (Can you hear the sarcasm here?).

Wake up, Athiesm is destroying America.

July 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • lalo

You mean like when you were aloud to have slaves, violence against women was tolerated, people died of polio...should I go on

July 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Colin

First, the Nazis were predominantly Christians.

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people. Adolf Hitler April, 12th 1922

Second, the parts of Europe that are the most secular (the North) are not the ones going through the current financial crises – that is the very religious contries – Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain – not that their beliefs caused the economic crises anyway.

Thirdly, I am unaware of any correlation between pregnancy rates and atheism or drug abuse and atheism!! Indeed, the only current god I know who admitted to having $ex with a woman is the Christian god – recall, the Holy spirit supposedly knocked up MAry.

July 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Laughing

Wow!

Ok where do I begin, let's go with the part about your grandparents. You do rea.lize that although your grandparents might have glam.orized what life was like back then in the south, I can a.s.sure you that if you look at the stat.istics you named, they are all LOWER than they were back then. But by all means, lets go back to the time where all those drugs, teenage pregna.ncies, div.orces, et all were just swept under the rug and pretend like they don't happen, isn't life grand?

Also, you bring up the nazi's? Really? You do know that Hit.ler was a catholic and said many times it was god that helped him real.ize the final sol.ution. Let's move on to COMMUNIST Russia......yeah remember how they flip.ped their ent.ire system on its head, sure they tried to ban religion, as well as common human rights, freedom and shoes, because the soviet union is the perfect example for what society would look like without religion, guess we need to run the other way where religion is in power......to na.zi germany.....wait..........

Please, remember to take your head out of your as.s before you speak next time, maybe your sh.it.ty postings won't smell as bad

July 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • alexander price

thank you colin.
      we dont need to believe in fantasy to co exist.
      We are humans, we have millions of years of evolution that has made the bad ass species that we are
      its time to act like it

July 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • Matthew

Colin shows the ignorance of most modern day Americans:

In the political relations with the churches in Germany, however, Hitler readily adopted a strategy "that suited his immediate political purposes".[238] Hitler had a general plan, even before the rise of the Nazis to power, to destroy Christianity within the Reich.[241][242][243] The leader of the Hitler Youth stated "the destruction of Christianity was explicitly recognized as a purpose of the National Socialist movement" from the start, but "considerations of expedience made it impossible" publicly to express this extreme position.[241] His intention was to wait until the war was over to destroy the influence of Christianity.[236]

Hitler, for a time, advocated for Germans a form of the Christian faith he called "Positive Christianity",[244][245] a belief system purged of what he objected to in orthodox Christianity, and featuring added racist elements. By 1940, however, it was public knowledge that Hitler had abandoned advocating for Germans even the syncretist idea of a positive Christianity.[246] Hitler maintained that the "terrorism in religion is, to put it briefly, of a Jewish dogma, which Christianity has universalized and whose effect is to sow trouble and confusion in men's minds."[247]

I can claim to be a Buddhist in public but that doesn't make me a Buddhist. Hitler was not a Christian if he wanted to destroy Christianity. All I have to do to see Christianity is go visit my Grandmother her generation over 80 who are loving and welcome other people. Also NEWSFLASH most people were not RACIST back in the 1950s. Also CHURCHES were leaders in the ABOLITION movement and CIVIL RIGHTS movement.

July 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • alexander price

matthew if your going to copy and past, you should post where you got your info.
      and someone has been lieing to you my friend.

July 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Matthew

Let me list some American Christians for you:

John Adams
      George Washington
      Martin Luther King Jr.
      Abraham Lincoln
      Harriet Bleecher Stowe
      Emily Dickinson
      Roger Williams
      Franklin Delano Roosevelt
      Henry Ford
      John D Rocherfeller

Oh yes but Christianity is just evil and has done nothing good for the United States.

July 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Colin

Matthew. Here are some more Hitler direct quotes

"We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out." Adolf Hitler, Speech in Berlin, October 24, 1933

"Secular schools can never be tolerated because such schools have no religious instruction, and a general moral instruction without a religious foundation is built on air; consequently, all character training and religion must be derived from faith ...we need believing people." Adolf Hitler, April 26, 1933

And on Feburary 1, 1933 Hitler delivered a speech in which he promised to restore "family...honor and loyalty, Volk and Vaterland, culture and economy" and recover "the eternal foundation of our morality and our faith." Hitler further declares a "merciless war against spiritual, political, and cultural nihilism."

No Matthew, Hitle was an anti-atheist Christian. I don't know where you copied and pasted your diatribe from, but suspect it also has a chapter on why Darwin was wrong.

July 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • lalo

Matthew
      Let's see the source material

July 12, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • William Demuth

Ah the good old days of slavery, mysoginisim, lynchings and cross burnings.

I bet you miss them so much! Mass isn't them same without a few sacrifices now is it?

July 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Matthew

Also... no the statistics are not the same. Anyone with common sense can see that. My parents highschool experience was entirely different then mine. No one got pregnant. No one knew about coccaine or illegal drugs. There were no gangs. My grandparents were even different. Today, our public school system is a warzone. Television is flooded with horrible content. Teen suicide is very high.

History says you kill religion, you kill a society. You should read Polybius description of Rome and Greece. He was a Greek that wrote how Greece's abandonment of traditional religious values led to their fall to Rome who held (at his time) strong moral and religious values.

Even historians recognize the value of religion. Look at every major power in Europe, they were far more powerful and prosperous when they were dedicated to faith in God (such as Victorian Great Britain) then they are today.

July 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Colin

Matthew, se ethe next page., I accidently posted there and cannot repost.

July 12, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • lalo

so, you are saying that the greek gods were real?

July 12, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Matthew

Here is the Source

Sharkey, Joe (13 January 2002). "Word for Word/The Case Against the Nazis; How Hitler's Forces Planned To Destroy German Christianity". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/13/weekinreview/word-for-word-case-against-nazis-hitler-s-forces-planned-destroy-german.html?pagewanted=all. Retrieved 7 June 2011.

July 12, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • Colin

Matthew, you take being wrong to a new level. The countries wth the highest standard of living i nthe World, Luxembourg, Sweden, Australia, Norway, Canda and New Zealand are also the least religious. The most religious – e.g. Saudia Arabia and sub-saharan African countires always rate near the bottom. The least religious countries (those mentioned) are also the least corrupt – and the religious ones tend to be the most corrupt.

Look it up – this is not contraversial.

July 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Q

Regardless of whether or not Hitler was a Christian or simply co-opting a Lutheresque antisemitism, what does this say of a religion which can so readily be used to promote diabolically opposing views? Not really a mystery given the OT itself is rather morally conflicted, e.g. Exodus 20:13 vs 1 Samuel 15:3.

July 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • lalo

Polybius wasn't talking about christianity. You know that, right?

July 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Matthew

Q do you not think that the lack of religion or hatred of religious people cannot be taking also to that extreme? The Soviet Union and Germany both engaged in genocides against Jews and persecuted Christians. Jehovah Witnesses, Romas, and both Lutherans and Catholics that stood up to Hitler or defended Jews?

Ever heard of Corrie ten Boom? A famous Dutch Christian that kept Jews in the underground and was arrested and thrown in the Concentration camp along with her sister. She continued to pray and encourage others despite her situation. I challenge you all to read the book about her.

Athiesm has been just as deadly as religion. Do not blame religion or people that hijack religion for the world's problems.

July 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • mfhpr

atheism is destroying america? now that's funny! you'll probably never admit that a BIG percentage of kooks in the church are the worst offenders – you know i can list LOTS of offenses by those that claim to be wholly, and you could too, if your eyes are open. don't blame and judge those that don't believe in the myths that control your life. rather look at those that claim to be like you that are wolves in sheep skins. there's plenty of "wool" being pulled over plenty of eyes.

July 12, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Matthew

Colin, Australia and New Zealand have a large Christian community. Over 50% of their population. Also standard of living is a joke when describing power or economy. Some nations are borrowing money to enforce their standard of living as we did and Europe has been doing. It is only a matter of time before their debt gets too high and they collapse. I bet Greeks have or had a higher standard of living too but now their nation is in default. Government handouts, free healthcare, welfare have to come from somewhere.

July 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Matthew, you can't go back far enough to find that Golden Age you talk about. It didn't exist. Gangs started in the Fifties, but the movie GANGS OF NEW YORK might be interesting to you. Girls got pregnant, disappeared to 'visit their aunt' and came back without the baby, which they dumped to adoption agencies. Heroin addiction was rampant in a nearby small town, starting with addicts who returned from WWI and brought it with them. People have ALWAYS murdered and stolen and done bad things. What you are looking back to was a time when there were LESS PEOPLE. Look up Malthus, population doubles in 32 years.

July 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Q

@Matthew – Atheism is a position statement which does not extoll any particular morality, i.e. when an atheist acts, it is inherently understood that this act is of their own volition and is not a product of promised rewards or punishments for eternity. Atheistic regimes have committed atrocities, but these acts were in furtherance of socio-political ideals (warped as they no doubt were). This is very different from theistic regimes which directly appeal to supernatural promises of eternal rewards/punishments for appeasing/failing to appease the perceived desires of an invisible supernatural deity.

In other words, it's very different to say, "we need to kill these people because they threaten our desired society" vs "we need to kill these people because it's what God wants us to do". Both are morally reprehensible, but only the latter is claiming an uncontestable divine source.

July 12, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Matthew

Bible Clown, I go to a church with an older demograph. I visited nursing homes. I kept up with older relatives. Yes, stuff happened back then but not near to the extent it happens today. It came down to respect, humility, and love for other people. That is what is different from then and today. They respected others and themselves. They worked hard. A good example is lemon law defense work that I do now. People didn't sue all the time when problems occured, they fixed their vehicles. People were not spoiled brats as they are today. No one (even if they didn't believe in God) would be disrespectful enough to post the kind of comments that you guys put on this board. I have met athiests in my life that were far more respectful and we were friends but today there is no respect.

The sad thing is, we could be the best generation if we worked on it. We could make our world the best. Instead we make excuses for our mistakes and never own up to them, we disrespect others, and we argue among ourselves. We get worse and our nation gets closer to its fall. It is coming soon.

I know you do not believe in God but I will pray for you all and I hope you have a great day. I am tired of debating and mostly wanted to debate and sorry for my charged posts, it was just in response to immature comments such as the ones about Santa Clause. You say Maher is scared of Christianity well I am afraid of Athiesm and from my point of view, banning religions (even the religions I don't believe in) has been far more harmful to a society then allowing them to prosper. I have heard stories from friends that came over from Romania, Ukraine, and Russia about how religion and Christianity can be persecuted. I can read about Roman persecutions or Catholic persecutions of my faith (I am Protestant). I don't hate Catholics because of what happened in the 1600s. I have many Catholic friends. I just know when people attack your religion and say the kind of things I hear on these message boards, it can be a serious threat. You also are not just attacking me, you are attacking my family and hundreds of friends I know.

July 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Colin

Matthew – first, Asutralia and New Zealand are among the most secular nations on Earth. I know thhis because I am from Australia. They are Christian pretty much in name only – the churchs are emptying and the number of priests has hit crisis level.

Second, you glibly predict the collapse of the secular countries'; economies but give nothing to back it up. I am aware of no financial crisies in Australia, New Zealand, Sweden, Luxumbourg, Norway, Denamark, Finland, Switzerladn or Canada – the most secular countries in the World. They have the highest standard of living in the World.

July 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • mfhpr

BC – good points. Not only MUCH less people, but TONS less media coverage / social networking. Nothing is sacred or secret these days.

July 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  11. Tom C

Just because he does not believe in God does not mean that God does not exist. More atheist's are turning to Christ than ever before. Many scientist have converted to Christianity because of the science and knowledge they have acquired studying the universe. The more they learn the more evidence they find that there is a God.

July 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Nick

That's pretty much just a lie you told there. Got any actual data to back that one up? I didn't think so.

July 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • lalo

you can't possibly be saying that with a straight face

July 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • William Demuth

Tom C

Even the pinheads in your church know that is malarcky!

July 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  12. David

I am sick of all the Christian bashing that goes on on CNN in the comment sections. Whenever there is a natural disaster, earthquake, flood, tornado etc. Christian organizations are the first in to help. They are also the last to leave. You never hear of any other religious organizations offering to help with monetary donations, food, medicine, clothing etc.

July 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Laughing

Actually YOU never hear of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and the other groups don't make as big of a deal over it as you might. And all the christian bashing that goes on during these discussions is because it's mostly christians who come out to play and oppose the other people on this board. You aren't the victims.....sorry, that's the jews card,

July 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • William Demuth

David, if you steal a mans loaf and return him a slice, you are not a hero, just Christian.

July 12, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Jay

I agree with you David in saying that Christians are the first to help. I don't get Maher. He has an obsession with Christianity. It seems that the characteristics of an atheist is be negative and don't believe in God. Come on people you don't have to talk bad about someone you disagree with. If you don't believe that's your choice but don't bash someone because they do and vice versa. Being a Christian or an atheist don't make you better than someone but your actions and words will say a lot about you as a person.

July 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • mfhpr

The bashing, in my opinion, is brought on by hypocrisy. I've known plenty of faithful religious people that gave their all to be good, honest people. But you must understand that just as you don't want me preaching to you that there is no god, I don't want to hear from you or someone that is dishonest that god is the answer to our problems. Take M. Bachmann for example. She and her husband shun gays, say being gay is a choice, and that one must be like them in order to be married. She's a wholly roller that does not accept as equals those that aren't like her. She's received hundreds of thousands in farm subsidies, and her husband received hundreds of thousands in Medicare. You think she'll make sure all deserving Americans receive equal benefits?

July 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
  13. martini paul

Atheists resent their isolation from God and consquently deny His existence with considerable anger. Just because they are incapable of faith doesn't mean that faith isn't justified.

July 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • ToadInAustin

"Atheists resent their isolation from God and consquently deny His existence with considerable anger."

It is you who sound angry.

July 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Colin

How is it even possible to resent your distance from something you do not believe in?

When will you theists knock off the psycho babble and just accept that many atheists do not believe in your god because the whole concept is fundamentally childish and silly?

July 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Daniel

It's unfortunate that you think that, because you are not even close.

July 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • William Demuth

I do not resent Jesus

I resent the men who bugger little boys in his name

I resent the charlatans who cheat little old ladies in his name.

I resent the deviants who commit the same sins they venerate in his name

In short I don't hate Jesus, just Christians.

July 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • mfhpr

Wrong. Please tell me in scientific, not mythical book, terms how we have multiple races on this planet if Adam and Eve were the first humans? And how is it that you're not my brother and that we're all not incestuous?

July 12, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  14. Muneef

Prophets and Messengers of God
    It's not right that God would reveal on his Messengers or Prophets different Religions that contradict each other in essentials. A messenger is a prophet who comes with abrogating some of the laws brought by the previous messenger or receives a new set of laws. But the religion is one, believing in the oneness of Allah.

Those who follow the Apostle, the unlettered Prophet, Whom they find mentioned in their own Scriptures, in the Torah and the Gospel... (Holy Qu'ran: VII – 157; Translation: Yusif Ali)

July 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Colin

Islam is the belief that an all-knowing, immortal super-being, powerful enough to create the entire Universe and its billions of galaxies, whispered the secrets of life, death and everything to a dirty 6th Century Arab pedophile in a cave.

Atheism is the belief that the above belief is silly.

July 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Muneef

Colin.

Of course being an Atheist is much better for you than any other Religion that has condemnations,rules,regulations... But you as an Atheist you want free enterprise where there are non of all those ties and obligations....

Atheist is a short cut that does not have any conditions at all...no traffic lights where you can break all that were condemned by religions,unlocking all that been locked by Holy Books and the Quran..

July 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Colin

Muneef – Huh?

Since when does atheism equate to a lack of morality? We just don't need to believe we are being watched in order to be moral. I find it interesteing that somebody of your faith – one that keeps 50% of its population in a state of adject subjugation (females) and stifles innovation or independent thought – wants to preach to me about how immoral I must be simply becuase I do not believe in a god. I know of no atheist telling females how they must dress, or strapping on a suicide vest to acheive a political end.

July 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  15. Zaphod2000

Maybe if we all felt more like Bill we would have less problems in the world. No religion nothing to fight about but I am sure we would find something else to hate others or try to ram "your" religion down somebody's throat!

July 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  16. Ken

For a guy who doesn't think much about religion he sure does spend a lot of time on it. 😛
    I do salute him for throwing out those truther idiots a few years ago.

July 12, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  17. Christ Follower

My posts are still awaiting moderation... Why, oh moderator... why???

July 12, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Colin

they will never emerge from moderation look for any place where t.it or c.um or sp.ic appears (without the dots). These strings of letters, even in the middle of words(such as const.itution) prevent the post appearing.It is computer generated filter.

July 12, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Christ Follower

Interesting how THIS comment makes the board... but the message that's spoken in TRUTH and LOVE gets deleted by the moderators!!! Oh well, God bless you all...

July 12, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Christ Follower

Computer generated moderators.... eh??? LOL!!!

July 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Laughing

I think it's about time we start to pray to the almighty word filter, if through his love and grace, he likes our prayers, he will let me post a comment with f.uck, as.shole, sh.it and so on as long as I obey his will. Oh please, Oh Might Word Filter, thou art pure and good, please please PLEASE let the Christ Follower post his message. Although I am writing this to you, I hope that my telekinetic message will also get through to you

July 12, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • William Demuth

It is I Belzebub the moderator.

Reject your Palestinian Leader and follow ME, and I might permit your posts to be seen.

July 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Christ Follower

Hey Moderator... PLEASE POST ALL of my comments!!! WHY are the IMPORTANT ones getting deleted??? I've followed all your rules. Re: CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.

July 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm |

The moderators of this blog have set up a secret forbidden word filter which unfortunately not only will delete or put your comment in the dreaded "waiting for moderation" category but also will do the same to words having fragments of these words. For example, "t-it" is in the set but the filter will also pick up words like Hitt-ite, t-itle, beati-tude, practi-tioner and const-tution. Then there are words like "an-al" thereby flagging words like an-alysis and "c-um" flagging acc-umulate or doc-ument. And there is also "r-a-pe", “a-pe” and “gra-pe”, "s-ex", and "hom-ose-xual". You would think that the moderators would have corrected this by now considering the number of times this has been commented on but they have not. To be safe, I typically add hyphens in any word that said filter might judge "of-fensive".
      • More than one web address will also activate “waiting for moderation”. Make sure the web address does not have any forbidden word or fragment.
      Two of the most filtered words are those containing the fragments "t-it" and "c-um". To quickly check your comments for these fragments, click on "Edit" on the Tool Bar and then "Find" on the menu. Add a fragment (without hyphens) one at a time in the "Find" slot and the offending fragment will be highlighted in your comments before you hit the Post button. Hyphenate the fragment(s) and then hit Post. And remember more than one full web address will also gain a "Waiting for Moderation".
      And said moderators still have not solved the chronological placement of comments once the number of comments gets above about 100. They recently have taken to dividing the comments in batches of 50 or so, for some strange reason. Maybe they did this to solve the chronology problem only to make comment reviews beyond the tedious.
      “Raison's Filter Fiber© (joking about the copyright)
      1. Here's my latest list – this seems like a good spot to set this down, as nobody's posting much on this thread.....
      ––
      bad letter combinations / words to avoid if you want to post that wonderful argument:
      Many, if not most are buried within other words, but I am not shooting for the perfect list, so use your imagination and add any words I have missed as a comment (no one has done this yet)
      – I found some but forgot to write them down. (shrugs).
      s-ex
      c-um.........as in doc-ument, accu-mulate, etc.
      sp-ic........as in disp-icable (look out Sylvester the cat!)
      ho-mo...whether ho-mo sapiens or ho-mose-xual, etc.
      t-it.........const-itution, att-itude, ent-ities, etc.
      an-al......ban-al
      sh-it
      fu-ck...
      who-re
      tw-at.....as in wristw-atch, (an unexpected one)
      pr-ick
      sl-ut
      c-lit
      va-g....as in extrava-gant, va-gina, va-grant
      hor-ny
      ar-se....yet "ass" is not filtered!
      nip-ple
      po-rn
      c-ock
      nig-ger
      cu-nt
      b-itch
      ra-pe
      jacka-ss...but ass is fine lol
      p-is.....as in pi-stol, lapi-s, pi-ssed, etc.
      o ficti-tious, repeti-tion, competi-tion.
      Sna-tch
      soft-ware
      Ja-panese
      Span-king
      hoo-ters
      There are more, so do not as-sume that this is complete

July 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • CNN Nanny-Filter

Christ Follower,

Look on the bottom of page #1 of these comments for a list of some of the tricky words from the filter... and please take something for that paranoia of yours!

July 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • CNN Nanny-Filter

Christ Follower,

Never mind. @Helpful just posted the list. The recommendation about your paranoia stands, however.

July 12, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • CLBUTTIC

google me – i am the moderator. I'm not the pheasant plucker.

July 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Christ Follower

Mock all you want! I had a profound, loving comment that I was trying to make. Edits were made and Moderators still wouldn't allow it. This is a perfect example of the mean spirits and darkness in this world. I'm sorry you all feel the way you do and that your hearts are hardened. I pray one day that changes. You are loved anyway... God bless.

July 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  18. Aniram

He is a comedian – and I do find him to be funny at times. But to take what he says as serious? Hell no!

July 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • mfhpr

Why not take him seriously? Are you saying that his intelligent, educated opinion isn't worthy of someone that chooses not to believe his views? Please explain.

July 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  19. joeseattle

I always here the anti-Christians grasp at ecclectic straws of various examples taken out of context of people who weren't actually following the message of the scriptures. If you want to set yourself up as the ultimate judge of what's right and wrong, basically so that you can indulge whatever impulse you have at any moment and justify it later, just call it what it is.

Jesus has never had a shortage of followers because the believers in his teachings live lives they are proud of, that value others and balance their interests against those of others, are tolerant, and are generally nice people. By contrast, the way the rest of you treat eachother tends to suck.

July 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • William Demuth

Somehow you seem to believe in a different Jesus than I recall.

Or do you just take what you like and ignore the rest?

July 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  20. Jeff Albarn

Santa? NOOO...Easter Bunny...NOOOO...."white" guy with a beard in the sky on a cloud...YESSSS! Countless other humans before the events outlined in the bible happened, and they don't count...
    Man made story to explain the ups and downs of the sun. PERIOD.

July 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm |