home
RSS
My Take: Why we’re drawn to Harry Potter’s theology
July 13th, 2011

My Take: Why we’re drawn to Harry Potter’s theology

Editor's Note: Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio is an ordained Episcopal Church priest and is author of "God and Harry at Yale: Faith and Fiction in the Classroom."

By Danielle Elizabeth Tumminio, Special to CNN

It’s been 13 years since the first Harry Potter book landed on store shelves and provoked some Christian conservatives to begin voicing opposition to J.K. Rowling’s world of wizardry.

“Let me say something about Harry Potter. Warlocks are enemies of God,” said Becky Fischer, a Pentecostal pastor featured in a documentary called Jesus Camp. “And I don’t care what kind of hero they are, they’re an enemy of God."

“Had it been in the Old Testament,” Fischer continued, “Harry Potter would have been put to death. You don’t make heroes out of warlocks.”

First reviews of 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2'

I was a graduate student at Yale when I first heard words like these, and it made me want to delve deeper into the nexus of Harry and Christianity, to see whether the books really were heretical.

So I decided to pitch a class on the subject to Yale, where I continue to teach on the intersection between Christian Theology and Harry Potter.

One of the questions I get asked most frequently about the class is what makes the Harry Potter series so spiritually rich. My sense is that, unlike some other famously theologically driven books, like "The Chronicles of Narnia" or "The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter" is less interested in teaching doctrine than in asking questions of ultimate meaning:

How can a person—wizard or Muggle (Rowling’s term for non-wizards)—respond to evil?

Is it possible to maintain relationships with those beyond the grave, just like Harry sought to have a relationship with his deceased parents?

Is it worth believing in God or, for those in Harry’s world, love, without evidence of its transformative power?

These are the questions to which Harry seeks answers throughout the series, most explicitly in "The Deathly Hallows," part 2 of which opens in movie theaters on Friday. (I tell my students that not for nothing does Harry play Seeker on Gryffindor’s Quidditch team, Quidditch being the wizarding world’s sport of choice.)

J.K. Rowling: 'Never say never' to more 'Potter'

Yet these are also the questions that motivated Rowling — who was struggling with her mother’s recent death — to write the series in the first place. Indeed, they’re the questions asked by all who seek a deeper understanding of our world.

In other words, the reason the Harry Potter series resonates with so many is that Harry’s journey is our journey; what he seeks, we seek.

But is what we find heretical, as some Christians have claimed?

The first winter I taught at Yale, I was a true seeker. I had moved out of my cozy attic apartment and into my parents’ home after doctors diagnosed my father with a rare neurological disease called Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS).

PLS is similar to Lou Gehrig’s Disease and Multiple Sclerosis, the illness from which J.K. Rowlings’ mother suffered. Like those diseases, PLS is progressive and incurable, immobilizing the muscles without affecting the mind.

Driving home from class one day, alone in my car, I found myself overwhelmed by my father’s illness, by the pained look in his eyes as he struggled to cut food with a knife, by the anxiety that plagued my mother.

And then I thought of Harry Potter.

Each week, I’d been asking my Yale students to look at Harry’s journey and to determine the significance of that journey for them. In that moment, I wondered about the significance the books held for me. Could they offer consolation, and would that consolation be antithetical to Christian faith?

In the car that day, I remembered the end of "The Deathly Hallows," when Harry, walking towards his nemesis Voldemort in the Forbidden Forest, finds himself surrounded by those who died but who loved Harry well: his mentors, Sirius and Lupin, and his parents, James and Lily.

Lily speaks first: “You’ve been so brave.”

“You’ll stay with me?” Harry asks.

“Until the very end,” responds James.

In other words, it is community and love that see us through even the greatest losses. That’s the same for Rowling and for Christians, for whom God is love. It is friendship and faith that help us walk—or drive, as I was doing at that moment—bravely to our destiny.

In that, I found consolation.

In the new Potter film – reportedly the last in the Potter franchise – we’ll see Harry as a different kind of seeker, one who struggles with his faith. His mentor, Dumbledore, is absent in a time of evil, as the wizarding world is subjected to a Hitler-like campaign to abolish anyone not of pure wizarding descent. Meanwhile, the equivalent of a tabloid journalist has published a book smearing Dumbledore’s previously unadulterated reputation.

Though Dumbledore taught Harry that the only way to defeat Voldemort is through the power of love, that force has been seriously called into question. With subjugation and violence all around and with Dumbledore’s image smeared, love doesn’t seem much worth trusting.

As Harry wanders through the wizarding world, he must seek for himself what is worth trusting and what is not. And, without giving too much away, let me say that when his faith in love finally takes root, transformative things begin to happen.

As movie theatres reel the final film, and as we reflect on the years we shared with members of Dumbledore’s Army, perhaps this is the takeaway: Seek.

If you do, you may find yourself on an unpredictable path to places you never knew existed. You may meet people so unlike you that they could be properly called a centaur and you a house elf. You may walk into a dark and forbidden forest. You may battle your greatest enemy.

Through all of that, you may very well find love. And at the end, you may conclude, as J.K. Rowling did, that “All was well.” Kind of sounds like Christianity, doesn't it?

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Movies • Opinion

1. Anita

Of course there is a relationship between Christianity and Harry Potter! Is there a deeply fundamental one, and does it in some way define the series? NO!

Is the HP story strongly related to Wicca, ancient paganism? Only about as much as Christianity is!

Actually, in my opinion, the acceptance of Christianity in HP is simply ridiculous! Considering how old Witches/Wizards are they shouldn't be buying into a religion that existed only about 2000 years ago! It doesn't make much sense...and that kind of proves that the book is not against Christianity, it is pretty much for it!

August 2, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  2. George

I'd recommend to the writer to re-read the Bible. Even though you may have a PhD, you are as far away from understanding the Bible as a novice. You cannot mix Harry Potter and Christianity! It just doesn't mix. No matter how theologically deep you may try to get. It is a book about witchcraft and that is not scriptural. What communion does light have with darkness? (2 Corinthians 6:14) God is Holy and He changes not! (Isaiah 43:15) & (Malachi 3:6). You are flirting with a false doctrine and I urge you to look carefully at what you are doing. (Matthew 5:19)

July 28, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
  3. Newo

It's a book, a good book. Fanatical theists have been book burning and Inquisition-ing for as long as religion has been around. People will continue to write good fiction and silly religious zealots will continue to decry it.

July 22, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  4. ines

I for one am not in to Potter. How come people condemn GODs word and LOOOOOOOOOOOOVe potter garbage? OYE!

July 20, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  5. Joe Everybody

Please don't talk so bad about the Bible.. I love the book. I am a big fan of fantasy stories and would read them no matter how it is packaged!!

July 20, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  6. Renee

There is only one God, one Saviour, one Holy Spirit. My life is not just about today and myself it is about my future, my families future which is to be directed by God. Our lives are eternal, with God forever or in hell forever. My family will NOT have anything to do with Harry potter, I won't even allow kids who do read harry potter to bring their books or anything associated with HP in my car or my home. I don't shield my children from all things of the "world" but when it comes to HP there are no exceptions and my kids have no desire to see it and even tell others why they choose not to associate with HP. They love the Lord more than any silly book, movie or other materialistic non-eternal things. Anything in your life that you put before God is idol worship and a sin. pLain and simple~~

July 20, 2011 at 12:59 am |
    • Q

How very, very sad and irrational...

July 20, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • fred

Q
      Why the tears ? Should the State move in put these abused kids into the system so they can be exposed to what the State finds as progressive.

July 20, 2011 at 1:23 am |
    • Q

She's perfectly within her rights to demand her children obey the perceived magical edicts of her preferred mythology as you are to assume some Glenn Beckian conspiracy lay behind every post. But again, both are terribly sad and irrational...

July 20, 2011 at 1:34 am |
    • fred

Q,
      What is with tossing around the inference that the truth of God is in any way similar to mythology. Zeus and other Greek Gods are myth verses God who is alive today. Yes, alive as witnessed by people this moment fighting for God or about God. Real as in people hating the Bible and actively attempting to disprove it. I don’t see anyone on this web site arguing on behalf of Zeus or fighting for his cause.

July 20, 2011 at 1:45 am |
    • Q

Your preferred god and the evidence to support his existence is on par with that for Zeus, Thor, or any other alleged deity. The foundations of your belief are stories, describing magical deeds by magical beings. By any reasonable evidentiary standard, they are mythology. Still, feel free to provide me a little evidence for your preferred deity "being alive today" anymore than the mult_tudes of other deities who must also "be alive" by the standards you offer. Your point is reminiscent of the argument for the existence of Santa Claus offered in the editor's response to Virginia O'Hanlon's letter...

July 20, 2011 at 1:57 am |
    • fred

Q,
      Very different from Zeus. Did you hear a single voice cry out oh my Zeus when the trade center was hit, did they pray to Zeus. It has been over 5,000 years that the God of Abraham remains the target of all non believers. It is the God of Abraham who’s banner is still raised in the largest of religious battles. It is the God of Abraham that China, Stalin etc want to undermine. It is the God of Abraham that is attacked on every moral confrontation with man. How much more power do you need to see before your own eyes. Zeus and Thor have no such power as they are myth.

July 20, 2011 at 2:24 am |
    • Q

@fred – While offering no actual evidence, you do offer the logical fallacy known as an "argumentum ad populum". What of those cries offered to Allah, Brahman, the animist incarnations, Gaia, etc. That a mythology is extant rather than extinct does nothing to change the fact that it remains mythology, i.e. "...a sacred narrative that validates a religious system." and is not supported by anything remotely resembling empirical evidence.

July 20, 2011 at 2:33 am |
    • fred

Q,
      It is not argumentum ad populum I see behind God but the power exhibited to this day. Gathering empirical evidence that this force or power exhibited is attributable to God probably will never happen. I could show the current remnant that God has brought through which for the last 6,000 years has held to the "mythology" of old but that would only demonstrate that a promise given by God to Noah was eternalized by some gentile in our current generation. Guess I am stuck with the faith argument until Christ returns...........see ya then.

July 20, 2011 at 3:15 am |
    • Azzarth

I feel very sorry that you have taken control of the lives of your children. People shouldn't have any part of any faith forced on them. If they truly loved your God, they would find him themselves. And who said people were putting Harry Potter before God? It's not idol worship to be a fan of a good story. You like your Bible don't you? I like the story where one family builds a boat big enough to hold 2 of every animal in the world.

July 20, 2011 at 3:30 am |
    • Azzarth

In addition to my first reply, if you were curious, that would be over 4 million animals on one boat.

July 20, 2011 at 3:32 am |
    • i wonder

Renee,

How small, weak and feeble your "God" must be... that it is threatened by an imaginative fantasy story. Realists have no trouble with this issue.

July 20, 2011 at 4:13 am |
    • fred

Azzarth
      i wonder
      We do not know how old these kids are so lets give mom a break. As to the darkness in that movie I would not take my grandkids to that movie (at least the last 3 movies) it is too scary for their age. The trend continues to va mpires, wit ches, blood lust. I suppose you both find this a good trend and we need to expose our kids to violence and darkness so they can be well rounded. I get the same argument from the po-rn industry that somehow we are a better people for exposing our children to this darkness.
      Yeah Noah is a good story a flood story that has been adopted by many a religion in various forms. For those who hate the God of Abraham they miss the wonderful revelation of God in how he cares for those he loves. The Bible is a book of God redeeming a people for himself. It is a personal relationship being forged through generations. Note the detail of care for the creation and how it was God himself who closed the door on the ark. God the creator so vast we cannot comprehend yet caring and loving to the smallest of detail.

July 20, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Q

@fred – You most certainly invoked an argumentum ad populum in attempting to validate your particular belief because it has been shared by many others (e.g. "banners raised in religious wars", etc). Good for you though, you even managed a reverse martyr-complexed version of the ad populum by claiming your preferred deity is the target of all non-believers.

Again, you've offered no evidence, just hopeful fantasy and logical fallacy. I wonder if you actually appreciate that at the core, your argument really is the same one offered for the existence of Santa Claus in the "Dear Virginia,..." letter.

July 20, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • fred

Q,
      I prefer the old black and white movie where proff of Santa Clause was based on the mail addressed to Santa dumped on the judges desk that was delivered by the us post office. The interesting thing is even though I saw Christkindl as a child in Austria outside my window and retain that vivid image I understand Santa is makebeleive. I see that different than Zeus story and understand where both came from. God does not fit either of the two based on some kind of internal knowledge that I cannot put my finger on but know it is there.

July 20, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • fred

Q,
      Here may be a key to the difference. When I was 38 a bible found its way into my car through a series of improbable events. As an agnostic I was the first to throw bible thumpers out of bars and make fun of weak minded Christians. Having lost my company and family all within a short time span of one year there was this Bible I could never toss out for some reason. It was bent open to some red letters and I began to read them. They were the words of Jesus in a red letter addition of the Bible. I cannot adequately describe the emotions but everything in my life changed that moment. So Zeus was of the Greeks and Santa does not deliver but, God delivered everything promised in those pages. On a daily basis I see these promises fulfilled in changed lives. I see prayer answered on many levels.
      I could make a long list of people who have the same recent experience but I know it is not the type of evidence science uses. We could perhaps find millions of conversion experiences similar to that which Saul of Tarsus had in the time of Jesus. I am sure science has a term for these mass long lasting conversions that would keep it from being used as evidence of God.

July 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • fred

Q,
      I know there are many books out there that give "proof" that the bible is true and God is who he says he is. Unfortunately, I have not had time to read them. I also do not think logic or scientific evidence works when it comes to proof of Gods existence. It almost seems intentional that God makes it simple enough for a child yet so complex the greatest minds cannot prove God. Even Jesus told his disciples he speaks in parables because others will not (or cannot) hear what he has to say anyway.

July 20, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Joe Everybody

So, why did you take time to read through the article and take time to write such a big post? is your not so strong with you that you became curious enough to read it?

Besides, if your must get rid of all materialistic ties, when can I expect to read about you on CNN that you have given up all your money and wealth to live in monastery?

July 20, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • fred

Joe,
      Read the article and it is what I expect from Yale and CNN. Not sure what good I could be to the world as a monk, what exactly do they do these days?

July 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Gail

By refusing to allow anyone to bring Harry Potter into your car or your home, you are not demonstrating God's love. All those children will remember is your fanaticism and cold reception. Harry Potter is a work of fiction. Magic doesn't exist anymore than the Elves and hobbits from the Lord of the Rings do. If you're that against Harry Potter you must think the entire science fiction and fantasy genre evil.

July 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • amy

Ever had a thought for yourself that someone didn't tell you to have?

July 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Newo

Don't worry, you're kids will soon rebel and read those "evil" books. It's what kids do best.

July 22, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  7. Azzarth

I think its rather rude of Christians to instantly point out everything they think is going against their religion. Every day in school when we stand to say the Pledge of Allegiance, and I have to say "one nation, under God", I don't start screaming and saying "That's going against Atheism! You're forcing Christianity onto me!" I just say it, because I know its not targeting me. Just like the Harry Potter series isn't out to target Christianity. Its just there because that's how the creator imagined it.

And by the way, if God created all things, didn't he create magic, and Warlocks, and all that?

July 20, 2011 at 12:28 am |
  8. Dimitry Makhanov

As I have struggled with suffering and loss over the last year- I have turned to my faith in Jesus for direction and guidance.

I have kept up with Harry Potter over the years as well. I have often wondered about it's 'heretical nature.'

Watching the last movie really did resonate with me, the love, the hope, the suffering and despitation. We often focus so much on simple... obviously fantastic... elements in the JK Rowlings work- that we miss as you said the seeking journey that Harry Potter is on.

I think of Psalm 42; the longing for.. the desire for... God's presense and love, and the ending scenes of the series- and my own life through the hardest of times. We are all suffering with death- pain- despair. I like Harry Potter because he seeks the answers... In fact in love, not so much in himself, or his own power. -shrug- but what do I know. 😉

July 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
  9. Vonnie

We are so good at dressing up the things that are sinful and contrary to the standards of God. The enemy of our souls is a master craftsman that creates dillusion and dresses up sin to look appealing, magical and God-like, but it is NOT! Witchcraft presented in any form is an abomination to God, simply because anything that exhaults itsself above the knowledge of God is sin. We can dress it up and call it "fantasy", "fiction", or "imagination", but at the end of the day, things like this keep countless people from the knowing the truth.
    The only light that is able to bring understanding is the light of the WORD OF GOD. All other forms of light or "enlightenment" does not originate from Jehovah God.

Matthew 6:23 "But when your eye is bad, your whole body is filled with darkness. And if the light you think you have is actually darkness, how deep that darkness is!"

July 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • Rob G

I love it when people want to use quotes from the Bible to make their insistent point of intolerance. How about THIS quote from the Bible?

Luke 9:49-50 "...we saw one casting out devils in thy name; and we forbade him, because he followeth not with us. And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us."

Jesus preached love, forgiveness, and tolerance, even for those who acted differently, or not precisely as "we" would think they should. BTW, I am not even a Harry Potter fan, but it is a FICTIONAL SERIES. Evil is portrayed as Evil and Good is portrayed as GOOD. Lighten up, and stop giving the rest of us Christians a bad name.

July 19, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  10. Night Owl

We criticize Harry Potter books and movies and yet we can't wait to get our hands on them. Enjoying them as much as everybody else.

July 19, 2011 at 9:51 am |
  11. TheTruth

Harry Potter does not teach kids anything postive. All it teaches them is to be more accepting of witches. Those who practice the dark arts and worship the devil. There is no such thing as a good or bad witch they are all bad. Any power that does not come from God is evil.

July 18, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Joe from CT, not Lieberman

I feel sorry for people like you who fail to recognize the Hand of God in the world around you. Those who profess to be witches are practicing a religion that vastly predates the worship practices allegedly started by a Chaldean from Ur named Abram approximately 3700 years ago. The fantasy of witches you appear to believe in is based on German witch hunting manuals of the 16th century, not the actual practices of the Wiccan worshipers.

They tend to recognize God by different natures, not confining their belief to the Judeo-Christian patriarchal deity, but instead by male and female aspects. Most Wiccan religious services can be summed up in three formats: "Please grant us that which we ask for"; "Thank you for granting what we need"; and "Oh, Wow! That's Awesome!" When you look at most Christian services, they follow the same three formats. Change the names around a little, change the robes on the celebrant, and voila, you have a Wiccan celebration.

Also, as many of you use the KJV as your reference, the original Hebrew language was not "Thou shalt not suffer a Witch to live", but instead translates to English as "Thou shalt not suffer a poisoner to live".

July 19, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Vonnie

Amen to that. What people don't realize is that in the human soul is a need to worship. Whether it's material possession, our children, our spouse, etc. Instilled into us all is the need to connect with a power higher than ourselves. What many don't realize is they are looking for truth and until they find it, nothing will suffice and they will get no real satisfaction for life. Unless God chooses to reveal himself through the person of Jesus Christ to an individual by the Holy Spirit they will never "hear" the truth.

July 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
  12. Harry Potter is a Pastafarian

Christians who rail against Harry Potter are just miffed that children are more attracted to the fairy tales of J.K. Rowlings rather than those taught by the church. They see Harry Potter as a threat to their business model...that of selling fantasy to children.

July 17, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
  13. Free

Reminds me of the debate whether Jonathan Livingston Seagull is a Jesus-like character, or a Buddha-like one who achieved Nirvana? Christian anarchists, the folks who believe that the only authority who Christians ought to follow is God, not government, use to like that book a lot. I wonder if they still do?

July 17, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
  14. Christina

Harry Potter has nothing to do with Christianity you idiot. Harry Potter is a belief in witchcraft and wizardry. A belief that your faith considers to be the work of the devil, and a belief that many pagans such as myself have been trying to defend against people like you. Now you want to steal that from us? Who do you think you are? I suggest you get your facts straight before stealing other people's beliefs, and trying to pass them off as your faith. The only thing Harry Potter and the bible have in common is that they are both written by man and are fiction. That's right I said it the bible is pure fiction, and is constantly being changed by mankind. Again stop stealing my belief and making it yours because that only makes your hypocritical.

July 17, 2011 at 1:33 am |
    • Vonnie

I actually agree with the Pagans and non-believers on one point. Christianity, meaning the Message of the Good News of Jesus Christ has nothing in common with Harry Potter's message. There is no intersection between the two.

July 18, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  15. Reality

Harry Potter, the book, pure fiction about a moral wizard, brilliantly written.

Christianity, semi-fiction, about an embellished, sometimes "mythicized" magic man with mediocre theology and a flawed history.

July 16, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  16. CSF

Harry Potter novels/movies are Fantasies, nothing more, nothing less. Comparing it to a religion is about as useless as t*ts on a Bull. The so-called Christians that call this made up Fantasy as heretical have no clue. A true Christian does not believe in anything other than the Father, the Son & the Holy Ghost nor is afraid of any false God.

July 16, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • i wonder

CSF, The definition of "Fantasy": (it describes Theism [&Christianity] to a tee)

1. The creative imagination; unrestrained fancy.

2. Something, such as an invention, that is a creation of the fancy.

3. A capricious or fantastic idea;
      a. Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.
      b. An example of such fiction.

4. An imagined event or sequence of mental images, such as a daydream, usually fulfilling a wish or psychological need.

July 16, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
  17. Joe

I'm a devout Christian but this "Christianity and Harry Potter" combination of sorts is pitiful. The Gospel needs no additions. It needs no other help from any other source but it's own, which comes from God, Himself. Check out Galations 1.

July 16, 2011 at 12:31 pm |
    • Free

What do you mean by 'the Gospel'? Do you mean the combined message of the four canonical gospels, contradictions between them notwithstanding? Or do you extend this to include the combined message of the entire New Testament? Or do you perhaps include all the gospels, even those not included in the Bible? Or do you mean just your personal interpretation of what Jesus' message and importance was, excluding other Christian understandings that may disagree with what you believe? There really isn't any universal meaning to this term, right?

July 17, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Jenn

Free, chill out.

July 19, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  18. SnowVeil

Christianity educated the West to be good, wise, intelligent, civil and humane. The only good and true religion on earth. Westerners nowadays abuse Christianity although now its majority belongs to non-West. Those who know life's pain recognizes Christianity's truthfulness. Only fools don't.

July 16, 2011 at 9:24 am |
    • Pete the Hellene

Actually, the pre-Christian religion and philosophy of the Greeks educated the West into being good, wise, civil, and humane. Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, Hesiod, Homer, Ovid- these are the men that civilized the West, turning man away from the barbarity of the East and Jerusalem.

July 17, 2011 at 12:26 am |
    • Muneef

July 17, 2011 at 12:56 am |
    • Muneef

Wow what an education had the Red Indians had since it has landed in their lands at North and South..Americas...!

July 17, 2011 at 12:57 am |
    • Muneef

Guess blacks tested that too when they got there....!

July 17, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  19. JimInTX

Christians are determined to see signs of the Invisible Sky Friend in Harry Potter. It makes sense. The Potter books are fantasy and so too is Christianity.

July 16, 2011 at 8:51 am |
    • Sarah

Just....no.

July 16, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  20. amma maw

"Seek with all your heart and all your soul and with your closest friends by your side.
    If you do, you may find yourself on an unpredictable path to places you never knew existed."
    Thank you. I needed this this morning. I need to never forget it. xx

July 16, 2011 at 8:48 am |
    • Sarah

That statement pretty much sums up what religion is SUPPOSED to represent. Does it really matter if there actually is a true God if one's religion promotes positive, amazing messages such as this one?

July 16, 2011 at 11:04 am |