home
RSS
Child's grisly murder shocks Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood
The scene on Wednesday in front of the residence where Leiby Kletzky lived.
July 14th, 2011

Child's grisly murder shocks Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood

By Dan Gilgoff and Eric Marrapodi, CNN

Brooklyn, New York (CNN) – An 8-year-old's grisly murder would shock any community, but there's an added layer of astonishment in this neighborhood because the alleged killer appears to hail from the same close-knit religious community as the victim.

On Thursday, New York police charged a 35-year-old man with the killing of Leiby Kletzky, an Orthodox Jewish boy, after officers found human remains in the man's refrigerator and a trash bin.

The alleged killer also appears to be an Orthodox Jew who lived relatively nearby to Kletzky, according to community members.

"You can't possibly describe how tragic this is and how upset people are this boy was murdered by a person living in the community, who shares his religion and his neighborhood," said Ezra Friedlander, who lives in Borough Park, the neighborhood where Kletzky went missing on Monday.

On Thursday, Levi Aron was arraigned on first degree murder and kidnapping charges in Brooklyn in connection with Kletzky's death.

"It would have been extremely scary if a terrorist would have come into the community and killed a boy, but when it's one of your own you feel even more vulnerable," said Friedlander, a public relations executive who represents many Orthodox Jewish clients.

"The level of fear that mothers and fathers and children here are experiencing is something that I never witnessed before," he said.

Police say the 35-year-old Levi Aron made statements Wednesday implicating himself in the death of Leiby Kletzky.

Kletzky was supposed to meet his parents after walking seven blocks from his summer day camp, but became lost and asked the suspect for directions, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

Menachem Freed, a 37-year-old Orthodox Jew whose 9-year-old son was Kletzky's classmate, said the community prides itself on its faith-based unity.

Borough Park is composed mostly of Hasidic Jews and non-Hasidic ultra-Orthodox Jews of Eastern European descent. Signs for everything from pediatricians' offices to a pizza parlor are in both Hebrew and English.

Families with young children are everywhere, with streams of women pushing strollers down sidewalks and bearded Hasidic men piloting minivans through narrow streets.

"We all believe in the same ideas," Freed said, standing outside his son's preschool, where he showed up Thursday to help children deal with the murder.

On Monday night, Freed and his family had joined with other Orthodox Jews from the neighborhood to search for Kletzky.

The neighborhood's Jewish security patrol force - called the shomrim - searched for the boy through the night.

Working from surveillance video that showed Aron entering a dentist's office Monday while Kletzky waited for him across the street for seven minutes, police arrived at Aron's residence at 2:40 a.m. Wednesday to ask about the boy's whereabouts.

The suspect pointed them to the kitchen, where blood was visible on the freezer handle. Inside the refrigerator was a cutting board with three blood-spattered carving knives, Kelly said.

"A lot of people were saying that they would think differently about what they would allow their children to do," said Josh Nathan-Kazis, a staff writer for the Jewish newspaper The Forward, who is covering neighborhood reaction to Kletzky's murder.

"When you're there, it feels like a small town: Everybody knows each other," said Nathan-Kazis, describing Borough Park. "The fact that the alleged perpetrator was more or less from the same community, it's like they don't know who to trust."

There are questions about how active Aron was in the Jewish community, but pictures of him that have surfaced show him in traditional Orthodox Jewish dress.

New York State Assemblyman Dov Hikind said the largely insular Orthodox neighborhood bred a sense of trust among adults and children.

"Borough Park is a largely Hasidic, Orthodox neighborhood - most people have beards and side curls," he said. "Often kids will trust someone who looks like their father or looks like their friend or like their teachers and say, 'Oh, this guy must be safe."

"This is not the case, never should have been the case," he continued. "You've got to be very, very careful. You've got to teach your kids. You've got to talk to your kids."

A young father who was pushing two strollers with children in Borough Park on Thursday said his rabbis told him to explain to his children that such a murder only happens "once in 10 years or even once in a lifetime."

Like many Orthodox Jews interviewed here, the man declined to give his name.

Nathan-Kazis said that rumors had begun emerging in Borough Park's Orthodox community that portrayed Aron as something of an outsider.

One such rumor suggested that Aron is a Sephardic Jew - meaning of Spanish of North African descent - unlike most Borough Park Jews, who are Ashkenazi, or of Eastern European descent.

"You could see the community struggling with the fact that the suspect is Jewish and lived nearby and at the same time protect a sense of safety in the community," Nathan-Kazis said.

Thousands of Orthodox Jews turned out for Kletzky's funeral on Wednesday.

On Thursday, community members organized an effort to initiate a Torah scroll in Kletzky's name.

"It's an extremely lofty way to elevate someone's memory," Friedlander said of the scroll. "Not every person has a Torah in their name."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • New York • Uncategorized

soundoff (1,564 Responses)
  1. shalom

As “JEW’s” we are taught to be RESPECTFUL of all other person. We take oath’s (we do not swear) and we bear true allegiance to the nation we live in. As a former American soldier, I choose to wear the tallit katan under my battle gear and my yarmulke under my helmet while in Iraq. All members in my unit knew I was Jewish and yet some refused to ride with me and others knew full well what would happen to me if I was ever captured by the Iraqis. But the soldiers who stepped up and said I will go on patrol with you Sergeant, I’m forever grateful. My First Sergeant, at first thought I was a fool and after our combat tour, he changed his belief and told me I could have served no braver man. Point is DON’T take action of the few to cast judgment on the whole.

July 15, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • KatCB

A wonderful comment. Thank you.

July 15, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  2. Irritated

Jaynicia, I agree with you. It's amazing. I thought this was absolutely horrible and can't even imagine what the parents are going through. I know they will blame themselves for a while. However, when I read the detail the writer included – hinting this jewish murderer was (Sephardic Jew) of spanish african decent ... I went cold. As if, well ... this explains EVERYTHING.

The question I have: Did the killer really behave like an 'outsider' or did his community treat him that way because of his supposedly Sephardic heritage?

Regardless, evil knows no boundaries. A lesson, this 'tight knit community' has just learned.

July 15, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Danny

You obviously don't know the Hasidum, otherwise this would come as no surprise. They are probably one of the most racist and ethnocentric groups out there.

July 15, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • AB

Get over it. First of all that is not the feeling on the street there; second of all many sephardic Jews assisted in the search as did people of all races and religions, and third of all you are mistaking CNN's (shoddy) reporting of a statement made by some idiot as representative of the community. There are also people walking around saying the lunatic was from Mars but that does not make it true either.

July 15, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • AB

ANd Danny their are racists among every group. What is the group that you are a racist member of?

July 15, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Simone

Excellent point.

July 15, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • Danny

My point is hasidum are pretty hard core racists but you give them a pass because their racism is cloaked in the Jewish religion and they wear funny clothes. If a bunch of white people established communities the way they did, renting only to each other, doing business only with each other, having "private" security that harasses outsiders, they would be called racists and nazis, and you wouldn't have much sympathy for them nor should you.

July 15, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • nanDy

@Danny..you said: "My point is..."

No, your pointless and nonsensical. All you have said are nothing but drivel.

Your mouth babbles while your nose bubbles.

July 15, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Danny

nanDy- If you want to post, use some facts to back up your argument against what I said. There is no need for personal attacks.

July 15, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • nanDy

Danny- You're pointless and nonsensical. That's a fact.

July 15, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  3. Yuvaraj

Not only Jews, everybody

July 15, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • AB

correct, and CNN should fix their headline.

July 15, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  4. Common Sense

Why is it such a shock?Other than it was a Jew sacrificing a Jew instead of a Goyim to their God Moloch.

July 15, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • AB

"Common Sense" who lacks it, I suppose for you it is not enough to cause shock that an 8 year old was hacked up and put in a refridgerator. Obviously it must be only because of the religion involved that it is shocking. Idiot.

July 15, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  5. Muneef

I have had no sleep since last night stuck on this blog article and it is already now 5:25pm already and am still stuck but got to leave you now and go out to smell air with out sleep...
    My otology to all if had said any thing that annoyed any one due my sleepless...and my condolence to the family and relatives of that sweet boy which my heart fell for when I saw his photo...and if I was the ruler I will spare the killer no life...to indsure that such sick mentality disappear for good from the streets....bye.

July 15, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  6. IT

May God be with the family and may this child soul rest in God's hands. No one has the answer why this child had to die this way. There are somethings in life that only God knows.

The bible tells us to be watchful of sheeps in wolve clothing. This aweful incident not only touched the Jewish community but the world. Unfortunately and sad as this incident is – there is a lesson to be learned for all of us. This could have been you or your child. Teach your children to trust only in "GOD". So educate yourself and your children. We Need to come togather and pray for one another – always!! My prayers are with this family that God will give them peace and comfort in the time of their precious loss. Tragedy tend to bring us all togather – Why must it take tragedy for us to pray togather! So pray for one another and trust in God.

July 15, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • AB

Amen and well said.

July 15, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  7. Steiger

Danny, at one point the German nation wanted to destroy them by much more direct means. Somehow I don't think a VW (a company founded with the blessings of Adolf Hitler) brings them visions of comfort and safety.
    Let me put it to you this way. After 9/11, how much hummous and baklava do you eat? How many people of Middle Eastern appearance do you now avoid?

July 15, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Danny

Steiger- OK, first of all Hummus is probably more popular now then it ever was. No, I did not avoid middle eastern food or products after 911. Because obviously all middle eastern people are not terrorists. 2nd of all, the people running the German automobile companies nowadays had nothing to do with the holocaust 70 years ago. Modern Germany is probably one of the least racist societies in this world.

July 15, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • Nonimus

@Steiger,
      While I'm skeptical of Danny's representation of this group I don't necessarily agree with your analogy either. I actually eat more hummus than I ever did before 9/11 and baklava is too rich for my taste. Although, I'm not sure why you went there, Lebanon didn't attack us on 9/11 and Lebanon has a large Christian population with some estimates as high as 45%.

July 15, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Danny

Nonimus – what's your issue with my representation of the group? How much time have you spent in Boro Park, Midwood, or Williamsburgh?

July 15, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • Nonimus

@Danny,
      None, hence the term "skeptical", i.e. neither agree nor disagree.
      Do you have any objective sources to backup your personal opinion?

July 15, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Danny

Nonimus – Objective sources. Well I have seen them spit when walking past this church. You could speak to the clergy about it if you really want. Where do you live? Come to NY and visit their community. I doubt you will be "welcomed" lol.. My point is that these people need to be exposed for their beliefs and actions. Why is there a double standard? If you or me behaved they way they did we would probably be arrested for a hate crime. OK, so that might be a bit of an exaggeration (although I'm not too sure), but hopefully you see my point. Most of these people posting here have probably had very little contact with these folks.

July 15, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Danny

Hasidum are not from Germany. They are descended from Poland and the Russian Empire. They had little contact with Germans and Nazis.

July 15, 2011 at 11:28 am |
    • Nonimus

@Danny,
      I appreciate your point in that they may not be all that nice themselves.
      However, first that has nothing to do with the tragedy of an 8 year old being brutally murdered, since at 8 he is pretty much innocent of serious wrongdoing, and second, while their behavior may seem obviously bad to you, that doesn't mean they would be viewed by anyone else as bad, and third, just because you witnessed some Hassidic Jews spitting near a Church/Temple, or even on clergy, doesn't mean they are all spitters or haters.

By your logic anything bad that happens to you is unworthy of sympathy because you are hateful of Hassidic Jews. I
      f you are unlucky enough get brutally tortured, which I hope does not happen, I will try to remember to treat you as you would/have treat/ed others.

July 15, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Danny

Nonimus – my point is not that we shouldn't have sympathy for human suffering. Obviously what happened to the kid is terrible. I don't think anyone is arguing that. I just find it ironic that there is this huge outpouring of support etc to a a group of people who really don't care about anything or anyone other than themselves. In fact they want others to suffer. RE my example of their attempt to bring economic ruin to Germany, simply b/c they suspect there are people who are possibly descendents of nazis that would suffer!

July 15, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  8. shanni

what im trying to understand is why would this child wait outside for a stranger, surlely he could have asked someone else for directions passing by, and why would you go into someones house if you do not know them, even though the little boy might have confided him him because of religion, just ask for directions and be like thank you and be on your way... its very sad to hear about such tragedy just goes to show you cant trust anyone these days not even your own ppl. my heart goes out to the family, RIP LEIBY KLETSZKI!!

July 15, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • Sunnygirl33

Um, maybe because when you're EIGHT YEARS OLD, you don't have the same reationale as an adult...ya think?? This child was not at fault in any way..He was guiltly only of being innocent..he became a target..and why? because he was alone and vulnerable...I have an 11-yr old..who I still guard with the same vigilance..8 is just as close to 5 as it is 11..would you let your 5 yr old walk 7 blocks alone?? Call me over-protective..I'd rather be that than a parent mourning the loss of my child..

July 15, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  9. Simone

I was truly, truly heart-broken when I heard about this innocent 8-year old boy. I cried for him and his family. We all know that evil exists in this world and we have heard of many heinous crimes. I am a Christian, but no matter what God you pray to or even if you are an atheist, crimes against children are the lowest of the low and not acceptable. We are born with an innate sense of right and wrong. This crime cuts to the quick. Our moral core tells us this is wrong.

I heard that at Leiby's funeral, his father thanked God for having blessed them with such a wonderful son. Even in his despair, he could still give thanks to God. I send prayers and healing wishes and love to Leiby's family and community.

I believe that there are more good people in this world than evil, but this serves as a sad reminder, evil does exist and be vigilant.

I

July 15, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • Rene

Well stated. This story broke my heart too as do all children hurt/killed by monsters. Made God give them some kind of peace if possible.

July 15, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  10. Sunnygirl33

No, no, no...you have to be BEYOND naive to think that in a day and age when children are disappearing in the front yards that an 8-yr old is safe walking 7 blocks ALONE..and what happens? "He became lost..and asked him for directions"..Why? Because he was EIGHT YEARS OLD..Helllooo???! I just want ONE opportunity to smack the next dumb parent ...just ONE...We live in a time when your neighbor could be a pedophile, the Prinicipal of the local Elementary school could be a serial killer, and people that you trust aren't trustworthy at all....wake the H up man! I love community just as much as the next person..but what I understand is that NO ONE can guard my child as well I can..I'm not willing to take the risk and leave him to the wolves...my heart goes out to this child in his last moments..but I'm sorry..I just wanna smack his parents! I don't care WHAT religion, race...I don't care..

July 15, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Simone

Have compassion. They have lost their son.

July 15, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  11. Sarah

The terms Hasidic and Orthodox are not interchangeable, CNN.

July 15, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • Pete

Ummm...they make that pretty clear in the article. Don't you actually read the words or just scan it and make a statement like that?

July 15, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  12. jrryjudy

shame on the insensitve people that
    coment about religion in this time of pain

July 15, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  13. RyanE

He is in heaven now, and the man will get what's coming to him in prison.

July 15, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  14. Melissa

I was laying in bed last night, thinking of this little boy's awful murder (I read about it yesterday)–and looking over at my sleeping daughter (11 yrs old) and thought to myself I will NEVER take for granted her safety in public ever again. I usually "trust" that she knows about the "stranger danger"-we've practically beat it in her head...and she knows to SCREAM if someone attempts to take her somewhere....or touches her.I can admit I've become relaxed with the worry that anything could happen....but I was looking at her, so thankful my baby is okay....and promised myself I will NEVER get relaxed like that again. My heart just hurts so much for the parents of this boy. 🙁

July 15, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • usmc josh

So basically your saying your never going to let your kid make mistakes on their own. That's the problem with parents nowadays. They baby they're kids too much. I'm not saying don't be protective but give them some room.

July 15, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  15. jrryjudy

the lord was with this child of god as is now......god bless the family and the community of these fine god fearing folks

July 15, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • JohnQuest

FYI, it doesn't look like the Lord did this kid much good. If the Lord can't (or won't) protect my child from this type of tragedy, then what is the point?

July 15, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@jrrjudy
      Many Christians would tell you that he is rotting in hell for not acceptiing Christ as his personal saviour.

July 15, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • DocQuest

Atheist just can't help themselves. How typical.

July 15, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  16. Dina

This would be very similar to an Amish community member committing a horrible crime against a child in their village/community. It is New York, but Hassidic people are very tight knit and insular like the Amish. If you think of it that way, then you can understand how the community had its guard down. Now, it is still NYC so it is silly for kids to be on their own. However, they have a built in trust for each other and this is a very rare occurence.

July 15, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  17. jrryjudy

hey real jew!!!!! i think its time you up your meds!!! where does this insane venom spewing from your mouth come from?
    it sounds like you are evil

July 15, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • Howard

jrryjudy
      You are an insensative ugly bigot. I have a suggestion for you–it's called Aryan Nations.com! They will welcome you with open arms and will be just as happy to see you coming as we are to see you leaving!!

July 15, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  18. Doc Vestibule

I can only imagine the shock and dismay in the community to learn that someone who practices the same rituals as they do could be a callous child killer.

The God of the Old Testament is very specific as to when to kill children and short of a direct command from God Himself, it takes a village to stone a child to death.

"If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey his father and mother, who does not heed them when they discipline him, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his town at the gate of that place. They shall say to the elders of his town, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” Then all the men of the town shall stone him to death. So you shall purge the evil from your midst; and all Israel will hear, and be afraid.
    (Deut. 21:18-21)

"Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." (I Samuel 15:2-3)

"Every one that is found shall be thrust through; and every one that is joined unto them shall fall by the sword. Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished." (Isaiah 13:15-16)

"And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity: Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and woman: (Ezekiel 9:5-6)

July 15, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • carolyn

All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God; even Jews and the Amish; the greater vanity/sin is assuming they don't or can't.

July 15, 2011 at 10:10 am |
    • Ryan in Michigan

Right, Doc – We should be more like the great Atheists, like Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Mao Zedong, and Kim Jong Il and just kill children mindlessly.

July 15, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Ryan
      The governments you mention do not wave a banner of Atheism for the populace to rally around. They are cults of personality.
      It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics. This is true whether we're talking about Stalin or Ahmadinejad.

July 15, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • JohnQuest

Ryan, Only Hitler committed his evil under religious ideology (Catholicism), the rest did not use the lack of belief as an accuse to kill. As for baby killing you might won't to get your facts straight:

Who's having abortions (religion)?
      Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".

July 15, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Ryan in Michigan

@Doc – Actually, China, North Korea, the Soviet Union, Vietnam, and Cambodia all have Atheism as the official state religion (Nazi Germany didn't officially, but was Atheist), and several leaders used the excuse of Natural Selection for their killings. However, you are accurate in your description of Atheism as a cult. If the shoe fits...
      I do agree with your second statement, though, about how the group in power will tend to create and enforce laws to limit other groups. We see it today all the time by Atheists trying to subdue the religions they hate so much. They enforce their Evolutionary beliefs in our public school system, they try to tear down our religious symbols that might or might not be in view of the public's eye, they try to stop our freedom of speech by filing lawsuits against our teachings, and more. I myself was suspended from school in the first grade for writing about Jesus in a paper about what Christmas meant to me. Atheist hatred is all around you, and it shows no signs of letting up.

July 15, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Ryan in Michigan

@Johnny – Here's another question for you. Who is forcing the abortions upon women, denying their natural right to give birth to children? Atheist China is the answer. Also, your data may be a little skewed. Don't forget, many people change between the time of an act and the time of a poll, which could be years down the road, be it abortion, crimes committed, drinking in high school, violent acts, or really anything.

July 15, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • myklds

Can't we just push our political agenda somewhere else and learn to respect and show/express symphaty and compassion to the victim and his family?

While my heart goes out to the victim and his family, inevitably, my vowels emptied to the face of few insensitive individuals who couldn't spare this sensitive topic from insensitivity.

July 15, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Ryan
      Nazi Germany was CATHOLIC!
      "We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out".
      The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, Oxford University Press, 1942

I see that you're taking great glee in misinterpreting what I said.
      I did not describe atheism as a cult – I made a blanket statement about sects/cults/religions.
      Your assertion about the suppression of christianity in America is bullspit given that it is Christians who are in power, not atheists.
      "Enforcing evolutionary beliefs in our public school system" – this is like saying that some group is cramming "pythagorean or gravitational beliefs" down people's throats.
      Mythology has no place in science class.

As for your statement regarding lawsuits against religious teachings – I've never heard of a lawsuit brought against a church for teaching their dogma, whatever it might be, within their own walls or in literature, or yelling it from a street corner etc.
      Can you cite a specific court case to back up this assertion?

In the 6th grade, I was suspended for not reciting the Pledge of Allegiance even though I am Canadian. Does that mean that all Americans hate me?

July 15, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  19. Danny

Many of these Hasids are actually very nasty individuals. There is a Greek Church on Avenue J in Midwood where there are lots of Hasids. It is not infrequent that they spit when they walk. Clergy have even been spat on when walking in the street.

July 15, 2011 at 9:56 am |
    • carolyn

What does this have to do with the tragic death of this little boy?

July 15, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • Danny

I just this it is ironic that everyone is showing so much sympathy for this community at this time. They couldn't care less about you. They also want to destroy the German nation by boycotting "German" products. Go through one of their neighborhoods, you will amost never see a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or VW.

July 15, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • Steiger

And this makes them child murderers how?

July 15, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Danny

Steiger – Do you think it is at all acceptable to spit on someone's place of worship? Do you think trying to bring economic destruction to a nation of millions of people (and I assume of your own ancestors) is nice?

July 15, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Ty

You're right about that plus once they're in a group they tend to think they're some kind of gangsters(lol).The crazy thing is that they're trying to start rumors saying he"s not even from the same religious sect that they're from, it's like they can do no wrong smh. That's how it's easy for someone from their community to do something like that bc they refuse to believe anyone of their religion is capable of something that terrible

July 15, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • Steiger

At one point the German nation wanted to destroy them by much more direct means. Somehow I don't think a VW (a company founded with the blessings of Adolf Hitler) brings them visions of comfort and safety.
      Let me put it to you this way. After 9/11, how much hummus and baklava do you eat? How many people of Middle Eastern appearance do you now avoid?

July 15, 2011 at 10:24 am |

July 15, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • akindofmagic

One Hasid, many Hasidum. Not Hasids

July 15, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Danny

I meant to say they spit when they walk by the church. And they have even spit directly on the clergy.

July 15, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • KatCB

It's a disgusting individual indeed who uses the death of a child to spread hate and intolerance. There's no point in saying anything else to someone so filled with prejudice, as it would fall on deaf ears.

July 15, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • Danny

KatCB – Hate and intolerance? How much time have you spent in Boro Park or Williamsburgh? THEY are the ones who are about hate and intolerance towards anyone who is not like them

July 15, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • nanDy

@Danny..you said:

"Do you think it is at all acceptable to spit on someone's place of worship?"

Maybe not, but (to spit) on your ugly face? YESSS!

July 15, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • Danny

nanDy- Nice way to contribute to an argument with a personal attack. If you don't have anything legitimate to say because you don't have any idea about what we are talking about don't post.

July 15, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • nanDy

Danny- Had I contributed to an argument, definitely I was not talking to you.

July 15, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • frank

@Danny
      "It is not infrequent that they spit when they walk. Clergy have even been spat on when walking in the street."
      --I support this somewhat novel but eminently sensible quirk of habit.

July 15, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  20. Tracie

Rest in peace, sweet little boy. To the family, friends, and community of Leiby...please know that for every hate filled comment you see on this board, there are thousands of people out there sending healing wishes and love your way. Goodness flows through the (the often silent) majority...whether you're a Jew, Christian, Muslim, Atheist, etc. Unfortunately, the loudest in the bunch are often the ones who could use a little help.

July 15, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • aUtheIstIC

They're usually projecting to solicit attention. But they're nothing but few and shallow.

July 15, 2011 at 11:22 am |