home
RSS
July 15th, 2011

Harry Potter and religion

Danielle Tumminio is a Yale University lecturer, Episcopal priest, and a regular here on the Belief Blog. Recently she spoke with CNN's Kyra Phillips about the connections between the "Harry Potter" series and faith.

You can read more about Tumminio's take on Harry Potter here My Take: Why we're drawn to Harry Potter's theology.

And read more from the Belief Blog on Harry Potter and religion here Harry Potter was a good Christian?

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Christianity

1. Muneef

Does the cows in Harry Potter movies eat red meats or green fodder/grass?

So cows whom God has created to feed on green fodder and grass are now rather being fed with meat and blood of her own type...this way the Cow became a Pig like eating any and every thing..

After that all they did now they expect to make it produce human milk for our babies....and wonder if her born babies will drink the same human milk from their mothers!?

Then after all that mess being done they are telling Muslims and Jews that their slaughter of animals letting all blood out is cruel to the animal...

That blood stored in the body and the meats contain all the mess man made other than carrying all that medicines or vitamins given to the animal...!!

July 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • Ron

So, are you discussing Ḏabīḥah (ذَبِيْحَة)? Exactly what does this have to do with the Harry Potter blog?

July 19, 2011 at 12:01 am |
    • Reality

o( In the real, "non-Potterized" world: On the koranic passages and world domination:

"Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa, as I described in the previous chapter.

Islamic armies, imbued with what Mohammed claimed was divine authorization, imposed Islam by force over vast areas, all the while extorting wealth from subjugated Jews and Christians to fund their ongoing conquests. As I noted, major defeats at Tours, France, in A.D. 732, and again at Vienna, Austria, in A.D. 1683, halted Islam’s attempt to take all of Europe by force. Gradually Islamic forces were forced to retreat from Europe, except for part of the Balkans. But Islam has again set its sights on a conquest of Europe and of European civilization, wherever the latter has spread to North and South America and other regions. Muslim strategists ask their followers, Why do we find in these modern times that Allah has entrusted most of the world’s oil wealth primarily to Muslim nations?

Their answer: Allah foresaw Islam’s need for funds to finance a final politico-religious victory over what Islam perceives as its ultimate enemy: Christianized Euro-American civilization. So, Islam follows Nazism, fascism and communism as the world’s latest hostile takeover aspirant.

Nazis, fascists and communists failed. Does Islam have a better chance at success? I believe it will flounder if we awaken to its threat in time; yet, if there is not adequate planned resistance, Islam does have a better chance of succeeding. Communism’s world takeover attempt was guaranteed to fail because its economic policy was naively contrary to human nature. Advocating the rubric What is mine is thine, and what is thine is mine, communism failed to see that human nature will not keep those two balanced propositions in equilibrium. Like a female black widow spider consuming her mate, the latter part of the formula makes a meal of the former, leading to the collapse of any system based upon that formula.
      In contrast, political systems do well if they can persuade people to adhere to What’s mine is mine and What’s thine is thine maxims.

Only if a strong religious incentive is added does such an idealistic formula have any long-term chance. Even then success will be spotty. But communism (and Nazism, for that matter) excluded religion. And that mistake was the final nail eventually clamping a lid on communism’s coffin. Communism, on a historical scale, perished while still in its childhood.
      Islam is not repeating communism’s mistake. Mating political cunning and incredible wealth with religious zeal, Islam does have a chance to succeed and will succeed unless major parts of the Western world unite to take appropriate countermeasures. But many Western leaders, unable to believe that a mere religion could possible be a serious political threat, keep proclaiming themselves as Islam-friendly, reasoning that all religions are good-aren’t they?

A Muslim strategist in Beverly Hills, California, declared several years ago, as quoted by a friend of mine: “Now that the struggle between Western democracies and international communism is winding down, it is time for the real and final struggle to begin, and we are going to win!”

Don Richardson

July 19, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • Muneef

Ron.

Nothing really other than being about religion and that you people are eating unhealthy meats that only makes Hospitals ,Health clinics and drug store pharmacies become richer...!!

July 19, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
  2. Frogist

I am still amazed that people would be so afraid of Harry. Obviously the people who are have never read the books. And I think I would encourage that as the first step in dissipating one's fear. Somehow I doubt people will bother to do that. Folks like them aren't interested in challenging their point of view. I think they prefer to be afraid. That way they have an enemy to fight, even if it isn't real.
    On another note, I did see the final movie. And I have to say I am unhappy about the way they treated parts of the book. They took some heroism and cleverness away from the characters that I thought was completely unnecessary. It was still awesome. But the story could have been treated better. I will miss the Boy Who Lived.

July 18, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Ron

@Frogist,
      Fear is it's own reward...or curse. It's easier to fear things rather than try to understand them. For some people and their religions, their worlds lives in a little defined box. Nothing outside said box can be good. Such thinking is its own curse.

July 19, 2011 at 12:04 am |
  3. Melody

What I interpreted as I was reading “Harry Potter” was different from what Danielle is saying here. The series has political undertones that voice against those who want to maintain a pure society. In this series, “pure” refers to pure-blooded wizards. In history, that could be analogous to the Nazi movement and different attempts people have made in annihilating followers of other religions different from their own. In the book, there are also authoritative figures who are so adamant that their views are the right views (let's not forget the Pope and his views on condoms). Anything different is a sign of rebellion and should be kept quiet to limit any chance for these ideas to spread. Let’s not forget that they also use fearmongering as a tactic to keep their enemies quiet or to prevent their followers from questioning their intentions. Everyone has to watch their back (kind of like “The Crucibles”). The Order of the Phoenix is no different from the Resistance, hiding and working quietly to sabotage any chances that the people in power have of achieving their goals.

July 18, 2011 at 1:00 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Melody, the interesting thing is that what you saw is in some ways the same and different than many others. I have heard that the forces of Voldermort be likened to everyone from the Democrats to the Republicans, and from the Faithful to the Non-Faithful.

Look at your statement: “Let’s not forget that they also use fear-mongering as a tactic to keep their enemies quiet or to prevent their followers from questioning their intentions. “

Tell me one side or any side that does not keep their members in line and united by declaring that if those on the other side of the debate get their way then life as we know it will come to an end? The use of fear we see in the speeches of the Tea Party and of those ubber-Liberals. It is silly to think that only one lone group uses it.

Remember to even the Nazis, they thought of themselves in many ways as “the resistance”. To them it was Communism, Judaism and a many other things that they felt that their rebellion would cleanse Germany of.

In the end, the words that were etched into that statue “Magic is Might”. The most important thing is the word “might”. It is the quest for power that has so many of us trying to find anyway to control and silence those that defer from us. Anything from Gay marriage to where we can light a cigarette.

If I have the votes or the sitting judges that lean towards my opinions, I do not need a spell or even a bullet. I can change, force or make another do what I want them to do and I will go to bed each night feeling that I did the right thing.

Ecch.... in the end, its power, it always was.

July 18, 2011 at 2:02 am |
  4. SoundSentZeldaHeavalinaDel

Adelina is a muggle and a ruggle muncher.

July 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

I need to tell you I was not a person called HeavenSent.

July 17, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  5. me

According to the religious fundamentalists, all magic is evil.

July 17, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

All Magic IS of the evil, although fantasy stories make it look fun. There are indeed different realms in this world, but the creation must be very happy magical powers are not available to humans normally because raw humans are evil enough.

July 17, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • me

So mediums are evil? Why?

July 17, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

If an ant fa_rts in the forest, will anyone hear it?

July 17, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

The second SoundFromForest is a fake. @Me: Because they get contact with none else but demons. Spirits of the dead cannot come back to our world. Believers are in Paradise with Jesus and those outside of Jesus are in Hedes, a hell, but a kind of prison. Sense of time can be different according to the dimentions one is in.

July 17, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

Correction – "Hades," not "Hedes"

July 17, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • fimeilleur

And you have proof of your "sense of time" claim? Care to present it to the scientific community?

July 17, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
    • Ron

@SoundFromForest.
      I guess if that's your understanding of magic, however, what was called magic or sorcery has nothing to do with magic. The original interpretation was 'poisoner of wells'. Those in King James time, (who was also gay), used magic or witchcraft because it fit their understanding. As far as Magic goes, mine is completely different and I enjoy it.

July 19, 2011 at 12:08 am |
  6. atomD21

Why is it we feel this unyielding urge to rush in to attack those with opposing viewpoints? I believe in God, other people don't. Does their disbelief some how make my belief invalid to me? Personally, I don't believe that God needs me to rush to his aid like he's a damsel in distress. I love having actual conversation with people who have all sorts of opinions, but I can't stand it when it turns into a verbal slapping match. No amount of snippy jabs are going to do anything but make you sound petty and immature. If your faith is that weak that it can't stand up to people disagreeing with it, you need to seriously reconsider what you believe.

July 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Ron

@atomD21,

Thank you! That is pretty much how I see it.

July 17, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Hana

I agree. I respect everyone's faith. I dont expect others to agree with me. However, I do admit to getting a little snarky when it is incorrect information and/or hatred.

July 17, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

Hana, as every other emotion, hatred has a proper place. We must hate what is evil. Guilt, too. Those who deny proper guilt go insane. Every feeling or emotion is there because it is necessary. Permissiveness is the worst problem in our society.

July 17, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Hana

@ SoundFromForest

I dont know what society it is that you are from. But, I was taught to be polite out in public. Open hatred only hurts your own soul.

July 17, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
    • Ron

@SoundFromForest,

"we must hate what is evil". As defined by you, your beliefs and your bible? Sorry, all of those are completely subjective and doesn't necessarily apply. I view magic in a completely different light. While you believe as you do, everyone doesn't think or believe as you do on the matter.

July 19, 2011 at 12:12 am |
  7. abracadabra

American christians really need to better order their priorities. Little wonder America ranks so low in world literacy (27th!) These people are far too busy focusing on fictions instead of the genuine realities that surround them. What a stunningly pathetic behaviour for a so-called modern and industrial nation.

July 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Alakazam

well said

July 18, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  8. the law

AND, god is no mass murdered. You smart ass atheists can say that because well you don't believe in god do you? God only takes out the ujust,cruel, and evil people from this world. For example, the earthquake in haiti killed thousands of people. did you know haiti signed some pact with satan in 1804? i can't stand ignorant atheists who comment on things like this just trying to PROVE to themself there is no god. Well I was a ex:atheist. I used to argue in wiki all the time about god. Then someone told me to look inside myself and try to reach out for god. I did and it changed me forever, i mean what's the purpose of mankind? there has to be a higher being, it just doesn't seem logical at all that we: humans the ONLY intelligent beings ever known would have no god to govern them. also why are people afraid of death. it's a natural human fear because we don't know what comes after. no one does except those who died in hospitols for a few seconds then were "brought" back to life. AND what did those people say? the majoirty said they saw a white light and a beuatiful voice asking them if they want to come or not. There you go atheists you have been proved entirely wrong in your views. If you want further answers to questions go to this site godandscience.org It will change you view of atheism like never before.

July 17, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you related to Addled?

July 17, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • SoundFromForest

Tom, you need to let me go ; )

July 17, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • Sick of Hate

Negative comments? STOP. God is about love and about forgiveness. You "Christians" who go to church to badmouth people like the Hatians (who absolutely did NOT deserve the devastation wrought upon them) should be ashamed. I certainly am ashamed to call you brothers in my religion. God hears all that is said, and all that is said from a place of hate does NOT belong to Him. I will pray for your soul.

July 17, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
    • Free

the law
      Did God order the extermination of various peoples in order to clear the Promised Land for the Israelites, or is that just a fable?

July 18, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • SoundOfForest

@Free, those exterminated were the only those who deserved it. Excessive, irreversable immorality and cruelty cause the people to be eliminated from the face of the Earth by God through natural disasters and even wars.

July 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Free

SoundOfForest
      Hitler thought that the Jews deserved it too.

July 18, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
  9. the law

Anyone wonder why there is such an increased interest in witchcraft, magic and sorcery in the world today? Or in Vampires and other dark topics? And why the push to accept so many things that have been rejected by generations? Just curious. Because IF Christianity were true, these would be the exact tactics a brilliant strategist would use to destroy mankind and divert their attention from the light in the last days. Just thought I'd point that out......
    You people are so damn blind/idiotic. Even if there were no god which there is obv, Christians do more to help others than the retarded atheists.
    Who do you see feeding the poor? Christians
    Who do you see helping the homeless? Christians
    Who do you see trying to change people's lives and preaching what they firmly believe in? Christians
    Who do you see overall helping to further humanity in acts of kindness? Christians.
    Atheists do nothing to further mankind. Whether you go to a soup kitchen, a homeless shelter, or any community helping activities the majority of people there are CHRISTIANS. Atheists are a joke, you never see them helping others or being genuinely king.
    Also BTW, atheists say that Christians are cruel? LOL? In the past decade over 100million people were killed in wars started by ATHEIST GROUPS. Examples, Hitler and other dictators,Community China, North Korea, South Vietnam, and The SOVIET UNION. None of those mentioned believed in god/jesus christ. None of them were christian but atheists. So.. one last question. How can you defend yourself now Atheists? I SMH

July 17, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So you have visited EVERY soup kitchen? And you asked ALL the people in EVERY one of them whether they were Christian?

Because I know that my friends, who are Jewish, work in a soup kitchen every Christmas.

I bet you don't get invited to many social gatherings, do you?

July 17, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • Ron

there are plenty of groups that are non-Christian who are also helping the poor, the sick, those that need food, assistance with housing. Many such as Pagan groups, I'm Wiccan, give with out all the news media actions to show what we did. We give, assist and leave. We help because it is the right thing to do. One shouldn't need a reward for doing what is needed.

July 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Hana

Comments like this make me wonder, what is more important to you... making everyone know that you did good things? Or simply doing them for the benefit of humanity? I know a great many non-Christians who give in charity, volunteer in charitable programs, and otherwise give of themselves to help the people and community around them. They do it because it is the right thing, not because they want attention for it. So, how would you know what the percentage is?

July 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • Bob

Hitler was a Christian. Ever hear of the Inquistion? The Crusades? Millions murdered in the name of Christ. Salem Witch Trials? Those weren't atheists claiming women who knew about the mysteries of child birth and herbal remedies were witches.

July 17, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • mike

And how many open atheists do you see helping others in these non-profit organizations? Not even close to the people who have faith. It isn't which religion you obey that makes you a better person. Its having the ability to do the right thing even if you had more to gain.

July 17, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • mike

gain by doing the wrong.

July 17, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • fimeilleur

@ Mike,
      Medecin Sans Frontiers AKA Doctors without Borders. 100% Secular organisation doing 100% good for people of ALL nations.

July 17, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • Free

the law
      I've seen postcards of public beheadings in pre-Mao China. Such brutality appears to have been just a Chinese thing, and not something new from the ideological shift.

The rest of your post is just nonsensical. Non-believers can be found volunteering in Christian charities, and lots of Christians volunteer in secular charities. You just don't know what you're ranting about.

July 17, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Christians do volunteer and help others. Yes.

So do Jews, Pagans, Buddhists, and other people of other faiths. So do atheists. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there.

Funny story, I was helping an elder on my street, a beautiful woman in her 80s who had some mobility issues, but was still a vibrant, amazing woman with funny stories to tell and a smile that could light up a room. I would run errands for her, take her shopping, take her to church on Sunday (though she usually got a ride home from someone at church), make her tea and share it with her in the afternoon. Her daughter lived a little more than an hour away, and was married to a pastor of a church.

When her daughter visited one day, this woman introduced me to her. She told her daughter that I was the fine Christian girl who looked after her. I felt the need to point out that I was not, in fact Christian, but Pagan. She smiled and patted my arm and told me that Jesus said "you will know them by their fruits" and my fruits, apparently were the same as those she considered Christian.

Mind you no one at her church offered to help her with the things I did. And her daughter came once a month or less. Make of that what you will.

July 18, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Free

myweightinwords
      "Christians do volunteer and help others. Yes."
      Often, however, charities that are run by Christian groups appear to essentially be just fronts for missionary work. If the main purpose is to proselytize, then the charity being offered is either simply a byproduct of this, or actually the lure to get people to listen. No different really than the toys McDonalds gives away with their kids meals, right?

July 19, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  10. ForestSound

I like to be punished. That's what religion is all about.

July 17, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  11. ForestVeilSentZeldalina

Adelina you love you.

July 17, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  12. Reality

Harry Potter, the book, pure fiction about a moral wizard, brilliantly written.

Christianity, semi-fiction, about an embellished, sometimes "mythicized" magic man with mediocre writing.

To wit:

As per the NT, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospels being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man" atonement, and infallible, old, European, white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices.
    ***************************************************************************************************************************

July 17, 2011 at 7:41 am |
    • herbert juarez

poof:you're a pile of crap

July 18, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  13. ForestSound

Other societies did evil out of ignorance and barbarism, but the post-modern West does the evil with full knowledge. God will punish the West once again.

July 17, 2011 at 4:10 am |
    • fimeilleur

Yawn.... ZZzzzzzzz

July 17, 2011 at 6:27 am |
    • doctore0

Gawd is like some mega mass murdering Harry Potter from the bronze age.
      But not to worry, gawd(s) = pure fiction

July 17, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • ForestSound

Punish me please. That's what religion is all about. I need to be a victim.

July 17, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  14. ForestSound

"Jesus replied, 18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated Me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed My teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of My name, for they do not know the one who sent Me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates Me hates My Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both Me and My Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated Me without reason.’"
    (John 15: 18-25)

July 17, 2011 at 4:08 am |
  15. ForestSound

Those who hate Christian Church hate God. The reason the secular West is so evil now.

July 17, 2011 at 4:03 am |
    • fimeilleur

SnowViel, having been defeated by Hana below... has been re-incarnated as ForestSound... like her saviour, she is a zombie now.

July 17, 2011 at 6:29 am |
    • ForestSound

@Fime-, I'll try if I have time tomorrow, though I may not if other page keeps me busy. Don't stalk me. I really need to go. Good-bye.

July 17, 2011 at 6:47 am |
    • fimeilleur

As long as you keep spouting your lies and religious non-sense, I and others like me, will be here to put you in check... it's not stalking.

July 17, 2011 at 6:53 am |
    • ForestSound

@Fime-, thanks, I feel so honored!! You sound like another unlearned youth, but it's fine. Keep learning.

July 17, 2011 at 6:56 am |
    • ForestSound

Christianity is all about hate and punishment. I need to be a victim. Punish me please.

July 17, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • fimeilleur

To the fake ForestSound,
      Stop impersonating her, you are not helping. Your actions are childish and not conducive to this discussion. Give the computer back to the grownups.

July 17, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Muneef

Fime.
      Is there any one possessed ?

July 19, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • fimeilleur

@ Muneef,
      Do you mean demonic possession? if so, then no... wait, what am I saying... regardless what you mean... NO. There are mental illnesses. That is all. They used to think that epilepsy was a form of demonic possession... we know differently now.

July 19, 2011 at 1:03 am |
    • Muneef

Fime.

How they became like that is it by birth or later after from stressful job and obligations, or jobless life and obligations, or the Emptiness of being far from the belief of God the creator of the universe....
      Those who closer to God are spiritually more stronger having faith than those who live with out or even fight with out...
      ---
      [6:125] Whomever GOD wills to guide, He renders his chest wide open to Submission. And whomever He wills to send astray, He renders his chest intolerant and straitened, like one who climbs towards the sky*. GOD thus places a curse upon those who refuse to believe.
      ---
      [16:127] You shall resort to patience – and your patience is attainable only with GOD's help. Do not grieve over them, and do not be annoyed by their schemes.
      ---–

July 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm |
  16. Robert

July 16, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
    • Ron

@Robert,

I left Christianity because I found it to be empty, controlling, and very dominating. It that it alone, was/had the "truth", which I found to be false. Christianity has demonized anything that was not Christian, using fear to keep people away from things and the threat of 'damnation' if they didn't obey.
      I have found Christianities fears unfounded as it all revolves around fear and control.
      My Gods teach that learning is power, to seek to understand life and the world around us and seek out wisdom. Not to be controlled by fear. To allow others to find their own religious beliefs or 'paths' as one religion will never serve all people.
      Your comment of 'what if' still reflects the issue of fear.

July 16, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • Free

A 'brilliant strategist' would have the brains to read Revelation, and simply choose to go off script, right?

July 16, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • Muneef

They are more like paving the way for the sorcerer of sorcerers to come...the One Eyed The Dajjal whom you call the Anti Christ.

July 17, 2011 at 12:45 am |
  17. fernace

@ Hana, Wow you got some serious knowledge, girlfriend, kudos to you! Snowveil, what's your come-back, here??

July 16, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Hana

LOL! Thank you!

July 16, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • SnowVeil

I don't reply beyond certain amount of comments, to save my time. Sorry. Find me again and start over if something is so important to you. Everyone can conduct authentic research once the topic is given.

July 17, 2011 at 4:35 am |
    • fimeilleur

these are the last words of SnowVeil as he/she lays down and dies, vanquished by Hana. *golf clap to Hana*

July 17, 2011 at 4:48 am |
    • Hana

@ SnowVeil or ForestSound, whatever your name is now.

If it was so easy to do research, then why dont you try doing some before typing? Intentionally choosing to not research and and just making things up to spread misinformation and hatred is a sin... in both Islam and Christianity.

The small amount of research I did was not hard, and did not take very long at all as the information is readily available in many places. But, the reality is that all I had to do was look up the specific percentages of the populations of Christians in the Middle East. I already knew the truth.

I lived in Egypt for a few years, had Coptic Orthodox Christian friends... I even went to a wedding and visited one of the working monasteries. I met a Coptic priest and learned of their history while I was there. Not to mention the many churches that I visited out of respect and admiration for the faith, the architecture and the art work. Oh and the Greek Orthodox monastery below Mount Sinai that claims to have a decedent of the "burning bush".

Or there are the couple of months that I stayed in Syria and likewise saw many churches of several denominations full of practicing Christians and learned of their history. And had a lovely chat with a Syriac Priest and Nun while waiting for my visa to get stamped on my return from visiting Lebanon.

While in Lebanon I went to "Notre Dam du Liban" which is a lovely old chaple with a large statue of the virgin Mary above it. They are also in the process of building a huge new, modern cathedral next to it. It is Roman Catholic.

Oh, and lets not forget the Chaldean church that is here in the city that I live and just down the street from me.

I mean really. I may not be Christian myself, but that does not mean I hate Christianity. I have a lot of respect for the faith and the various histories of each denomination.

July 17, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
    • Frogist

@Hana: I am impressed by your travels! And envious. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

July 18, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  18. fernace

As I was saying, people are waaay too serious about this ficticious, non-reality stuff. Harry Potter books do not depict real magic, as David Copperfield or Chris Angel know it (grin)! They are also no threat to or promotion of the bible! It is pretty entertaining to read the "serious" posts, I must admit, so keep up the good work! Lol!!

July 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
  19. fernace

I can't believe a book has been written about Harry Potters Christianity!? He is a Fictional Character in a Fictional Entertainment Series! He is not a real human, but a figment of an authors imagination! A better research project would have been to ask why JK Rowling wrote Harry as she did, but people are getting way too invested in this make-believe world!!

July 16, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • fimeilleur

i wonder if JK Rowling will sue for copy right violations?

July 16, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  20. Chelsea

Harry Potter can, in no way, influence any children to actually engage in any "Actual" practices involved in the real world equivalent of "Witchcraft".

Any child dumb enough to think that there is any realism in the fanasy world of Harry Potter will pick up a stick, point it at something and shout "Expelliaumus!"
    When nothing happens to whatever they pointed the stick at, they'll realize it was fiction and then move on to a different activity.

July 16, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • Hana

Spot on!

July 16, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Free

Yes, there are some childish imaginations at work all right. Pity none of them belong to actual children, eh?

July 16, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
    • aidbo

Maybe those children will just think they're "muggles"?

July 17, 2011 at 4:42 am |
    • fimeilleur

@ aidbo,
      Then there's no fear of them doing magic, is there?

July 17, 2011 at 4:53 am |