home
RSS
July 21st, 2011

Hindu diners sue Indian restaurant for selling meat samosas

By Moni Basu and Chelsea Bailey, CNN

(CNN) - A small tray of vegetable samosas costs $35 at the Mughal Express restaurant. But one particular tray, sold to strict Hindu vegetarians, might end up costing the Edison, New Jersey, restaurant a whole lot more.

The Hindu customers said the restaurant served them meat samosas, harming them emotionally and spirituality. A state appellate court ruled Wednesday that they can sue for the cost of travel to India to purify their souls.

Two summers ago, Durgesh Gupta and Sharad Agrawal walked into the popular Mughal Express on Oak Tree Road, in the heart of Edison's Indian community, and ordered samosas. They were strict vegetarians, they said in making sure there was no meat in their order of the traditional Indian snack.

Gupta said a restaurant employee assured them that it did not make meat samosas, according to court documents. A half-hour later, the two men picked up a tray labeled "VEG samosas."

But after Gupta and his group of 16 people began eating the triangular deep-fried pastries, they grew concerned they were eating meat. When they went to return the uneaten samosas, the restaurant said it had made a mistake, court documents showed.

Yes, the vegetarians had consumed meat and believed they were complicit in inflicting death and injury to God's creatures.

They sued Mughal Express but a lower court deemed they did not have a case - until this week, when the appellate court reversed that decision.

What the 16 Hindus want is compensation for a trip to the Hindu holy town of Haridwar, India, where the Ganges begins its downward flow to the ocean. There, they want to take dips in the river and, by Hindu belief, cleanse their souls of sin.

And they want the restaurant to pay for it all.

K. Raja Bhattacharya, the lawyer for the vegetarian diners, and David Novack, an attorney representing the restaurant, both declined comment because the case is ongoing.

In 2002, McDonald's Corp. paid $10 million to Hindu, vegetarian and other groups in order to settle a lawsuit against the company for failing to disclose that beef flavoring was used in French fries.

The company began advertising the fries were vegetarian after they switched to vegetable oil to reduce cholesterol, but the fries contained small amounts of beef flavoring added at the processing plant.

But the McDonald’s case may have been more compelling because it was not just an isolated incident of accidental service of meat, said Suhag Shukla, legal council for the Hindu American Foundation.

The Mughal Express customers who sued thought it otherwise. An Indian restaurant should have been more sensitive to this issue, they argued.

Still, some Hindus felt the diners were taking things too far. They doubted whether there was any karmic debt associated with the consumption of meat.

Pradip Kothari, president of the Indo-American Cultural Society in Edison, suggested the diners could easily go to a temple to cleanse their souls.

Indian-Americans have much to be grateful for in America, he said, and the lawsuit takes advantage of a U.S. judicial system that has afforded them individual protections.

"I understand how they feel," Kothari said. "I myself am a Hindu. But this is hypocrisy of the law."

And of religion, he said. "If you are a true religious person, God teaches you to forgive."

He did not know the diners, he said, but they should be ashamed for bringing a bad name not just to Hindus but to the
Indian-American community.

As for Mughal Express, there were no non-vegetarian samosas on the online menu Thursday.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Food • Hinduism • New Jersey

soundoff (1,722 Responses)
  1. Carson

Are you kidding me? No court in its right mind is going to give these Hindu yahoos what they want and affirm a decision in their favor. I know there is freedom of religion in this country, but this has crossed over into the realm of stupidity on the decision of a few Hindus to do this. What's more is this: if their god is so wonderful, why can't they 'cleanse' themselves or whatever wherever they are at now? You can, with the one true God. Oh well.

July 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Dr K

Carson, your bigotry is evident in what you say.... one sentence you chastise these diners for taking their beliefs too far and them only if they believe in one true god. Perhaps your god, right?

July 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • SS

How would you feel if you were served dog meat under the guise that it was beef or chicken? Would you have a right to sue for the restaurant misleading you? It's clear you eat meat and don't understand just how important it is to many observant Hindus not to eat meat. Whether you think their beliefs are stupid or weird, they have a right to their beliefs and compensation for being misled.

July 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • really?

@SS – there is a difference between a restaurant accidentally serving the wrong dish and intentionally serving something they say is beef when they know it is not. The latter is covered by laws so it could be punished. If people think their souls are going to be in danger by eating some particular food then why are they putting their souls in the hands of a complete stranger? No matter how hard the cook tries there is always the possibility of accidental contamination (and neither the cook or the customers might not even realize it). If it is that important don't eat out at restaurants which are only a luxury.

July 21, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • mickey1313

Now I agree that this is a dumb suit, BUT bashing one religon while following anothers equally dumb tenants is ultra dumb. But then again, most christians are hypocrites. Take the "clensing" issue this way, you can not prove there is anything to be cleansed, thus there is nothing to cleanse. Thus the only thing that is owed to you is the cost of the fowled up meal.

July 22, 2011 at 12:45 am |
    • OnlyContract

I think this has to do less with freedom of religion (or from religion) and more with contract law. Two parties made a contract. Both parties knew the stakes – both are Indian and knew what "damage' would result if the contract was breached. Seems inequitable, at first – one party has to pay for the other party's expensive travel arrangements to make that party whole again. But, really, you can argue that both parties agreed upon this when they made the contract for the food. If I say that I will be irreparably damaged if you sell me something that isn't what it appears to be and you go ahead and sell it to me anyway – then whether or not you intended to sell it to me or simply make a mistake – then I am damaged and you have to make me whole. You have agreed to accept the money for the item – then you have agreed to accept the risk of my damages. To put it another way, If I was operating a Texas diner and a couple of Muslims walked in and ordered baked beans, I am under no obligation to tell them that they may contain pork. But, if they told me specifically: no pork and if there is any pork – well have to go to our Imam in Sudan and hell have to cleanse our souls – and you still sold them the beans – then you accepted the contract. You accepted the risk that you'll have to pay for their trip. Same here, except, since both parties are Indian, they didn't have to tell the owner of the place anything about going anywhere to 'fix their souls'- the restaurant operator already knew this and agreed, by implication.

July 22, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Lavanty

Only Contract- refreshing sanity!
      Really?- There is difference between being served a wrong dish and a really wrong dish. If a non-vegetarian was served human meat that would be the equivalent of a really wrong dish that he would definitely sue for.

July 22, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  2. Bob

To err is human; to forgive is Divine.

July 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • whatever

... and to sue is American.

July 21, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • RFBJR

Lol

July 22, 2011 at 10:19 am |
    • Lavanty

roflol

July 22, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • Joshua the Agnostic

Awesome!

July 25, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  3. fernace

The resturant made a mistake, it's happened to me many times. However, it only took a bite or 2, for me to distinguish between pork & chicken,for ex.! So I'm to believe that a few bites of meat caused so much harm to these Hindu vegetarians, that each of the 16 in the party needs an expensive trip to India to "cleanse" themselves ( in 1 of the dirtiest rivers in the world), other wise their lives are forever tainted!? It seems they could take the advice of the spokesperson who said they can be cleansed in a local temple. The resturant should give each of them a free vegetarian meal, but anything else is taking gross advantage!!

July 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Vb

Those Hindus have all the right to use this restaurant. For someone who does not eat meat – eating meat is same as -for someone who eats meat – to have eaten a human flesh. No difference in the yucky feeling that will exist for the life of these diners. They should this restaurant's butt off.

July 22, 2011 at 12:26 am |
    • mickey1313

they deserved a free meal BEFORE they pulled this sueing stunt, not they deserve a counter suit for defimation of character and a big f-you

July 22, 2011 at 12:48 am |
    • Sam

They should get the restaurant to hand them a gift card and get this done with.
      If the court rules in favor of these jokers, then every Muslim will be suing for serving pork and asking for a trip to Mecca......and what next....Sue for a trip to the Moon....Thats where the sea of tranquility exists...Ridiculous

July 22, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • R, WA

@Vb. "Right to use" does not include a right to extort money. If they are unhappy with their meal, they have the right to ask for a refund of the cost of the meal, and that's about it. And that is the right to ask, not the right to receive; that's up to the proprietor. Their feelings on the consumption meat aren't relevant.

July 22, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  4. Chris

A bunch of yahoos basically trying to scam a free trip someplace...they can all cry me a river.

July 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • SammyZ

and then cleans themselves in that river. lol

July 22, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  5. MP

The name of the restaurant is "Moghul", which tells that they serve "primarily" non-vegetarian food. If these Hindus were so concerned, why didn't they pick a pure vegetarian restaurant to start with. There are plenty veg places in Edison.
    A sincere apology from Moghul is warranted though.
    Disclaimer: I am a Hindu.

July 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • Dan

I agree. As Hindus, they know that Muslim Moghuls ruled over them for hundreds of years. They knew the place was probably owned by Muslim Indians and that there was a good chance they'd serve meat.

July 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • Vb

Obama HUSSAIN Obama is a Muslim?

July 22, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • mickey1313

VB i realy hope the cia shuts fools like you up, from 300 yards with a scope.

July 22, 2011 at 12:49 am |
    • Thomas McVeigh

I verily concur sir...as Hindi, they should have known better. But what can you expect from people that won't eat meat to be "pure" yet refuse to wear deodorant? What good is this? To stink to others yet walk with your Brahman nose in the air.

July 22, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  6. letsgomets2011

Why do they have to travel all the way to india?

Why not just ask for forgiveness, where you are right here and right now?

Or go to an ocean or a lake nearby and do the same thing. Isn't your creator everywhere and isn't all holy in his sight?

July 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • AMANPREET KANG

Good point brother.

July 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • mickey1313

I thought they believed in many gods, Brama, krishna, ect? Is there a singular "creator" in hundu? I want to know

July 22, 2011 at 12:51 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Some Christians sects believe that you have to visit a sanctified building, climb into a darkened box and tell your secrets to a shaman in order to be cleansed of sin.
      Visiting a particular body of water doesn't see any more strange to me insofar as religious rites go...

July 22, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • Lavanty

Nope. Your lakes and rivers cannot rival the holy Ganges that flows from the Himalayas

July 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • The Guy

Typically Hindus align themselves with one god for primary worship their entire lives. They pray to all of the gods but usually have a particular god that they're family has traditionally prayed to. In this instance, they must pray to a god whom sanctifies animals and therefore commands followers to be vegetarians. Not all Hindus are vegetarians – many eat fish, pork, or chicken.

July 22, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
  7. NS

I was hindu (formerly, now I am agnostic), and I think they are over reacting. I am vegetarian and dont eat eggs but I have had beef patty in my vegetarian burger a few times and i had bitten but its not a big deal, i didnt die. My family lives in Haridwar in india, but I dont need to go all the way there to cleanse myself.. cleanliness or dirtyness is in mind and you go anywhere it wont change..

July 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • RFBJR

Bro, you should try a rare rib-eye steak...or some meatballs, oh yeah! Or dude, bbq ribs, yummy, mmm mmm mmm. Sometimes bein' a Christian has its benefits.

July 22, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • Lavanty

You keep your agnostic non-faith and let them have theirs.

July 22, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  8. Dan

LOL...Veggies went to McDonald's and found out the food wasn't pure! Oh my goodness, what stupidity! Imagine, BEEF, in a hamburger joint!

July 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Rob

i bet you'd react the same way if 'Dog meat' hamburgers were served to you in Mc Donalds by accident. Bloody Hypocrite!

July 21, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
    • mickey1313

rob, how can you be accidently served a type of meat that is acording to the fda, not fit for consumption, aka not legal to buy/sell?

July 22, 2011 at 12:53 am |
    • Frogist

@Dan: I don't know about you, but when I have fries, I expect them to be made of potato, not beef.

July 22, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Edwin

If I eat fries, I always wonder what went into the oil and seasonings. But when McDonald's went so far as to ADVERTISE that the fries were completely vegetarian, then they deserved to be sued.

July 22, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
  9. DoubtSalmon

I'm pretty sure that allowing them to sue for a soul cleansing trip to India and having the government enforce it violates the first amendment. If they can do this then next time my order gets messed up, I'm suing for a soul cleansing trip to Disney world as part of my religion.

July 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • MrEee

Or if you insult my family, I need to either kill you or get blood money. The news talked about courts enforcing sharia verdicts (whether substantiated or not), but this is no different. Ludicrous. Why not have the court order a de-programming class instead to get these people out of their mind-screwing beliefs? (And do that for all religious people seeking religious verdicts?)

July 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  10. mm

Isn't the Ganges River the most filthiest river in the world! And they clense themselves there. Wow!

July 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • That's the reason

Billions clean their soul in Ganges and that's the reason it's so Filthy...

July 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • AMANPREET KANG

Hahaha. Dude/Babe, you are right.

July 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • jaima

That was very good !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 22, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  11. Raj

All this story does is to give Moghul Express some publicity. I am sure they will have more footfalls over the next few days just out of curiosity / fun.

July 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  12. Sid

I am an Indian and an Indian restauranrt did exactly the same with me. I support the diners – more than religion or personal faith, this is about consumer empowerment. A restaurant cannot take people for granted and then walk away. After what happened with McDonalds, the company has been extra careful with its offerings. Similarly, from this experience, all restaurants will realize how to treat the customers.

It is well-recognized that in US food is not as closely regulated as drugs. This is the reason for such incidents, unhygienic conditions and even adulterated baby food that we received.

July 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Dan

You don't go to a burger joint and act surprised that they served beef. That's just asinine. As to the Hindus, you cannot ask a restaurant to send you to India, when your religion says you can do it in a temple. They are milking the system.

July 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Darryn Cooke

Please get a clue. It is also the consumers responsibility to have some sort or reason and to NOT expect things to ALWAYS go the way they wanted. That's the acting of a child that doesn't know any better.

And if you think our pharmaceuticals are well regulated then you are once again wrong. The FDA is a joke and always 2 steps behind. Looks like you are batting 0-2. Care to make any more factually lacking comments please go ahead, this is the internet.

July 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • MrEee

I'd find it offensive if I ordered a real burger and got some strange vegetable patty junk instead. Now if I tied that to my religion – Cowboyism – should I be able to ask for millions? No? Why is _that_ ludicrous, but the other case not? How in the hell could the not tell that meat != vegetables anyway? Are they just stupid?

July 21, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • seriously?

it was a mistake, get over it.

July 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Colonic Cleanser

Sid:

Did you get an enema afterwards?

July 21, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • whatever

... there's one at every party. At this party, it's Sid.

July 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm |
    • mickey1313

sid, the baby food was china, not us, AND THE fda IS the regulator for both food and drugs, hence the name. And I agree that customers need to be treated well, for instance replace messed up orders. But really? you think a messed up order deserves a trip 1/2 way acroos the planet, I dont think so.

July 22, 2011 at 12:58 am |
  13. Carnivore Pride

If they were so concerned about eating meat, why did they not cut into it with a fork first?

July 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Raju

Samosas are eaten as a whole my friend.. don't comment without knowing how the food is like and how to eat it.

July 22, 2011 at 1:13 am |
    • Sam

@Raju.....You are either a numbnut or you eat samosas like an animal and my guess is the former.....you can sure cut a piece of the samosa and check

July 22, 2011 at 11:39 am |
    • Lavanty

@Sam: Im sure you check your beef hamburger for human meat everytime you eat too.

July 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  14. OceanLight

I thought restaurant cannot be sued in USA unless for like food poisoning or something.

July 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  15. OceanLight

God forgives only on the basis of Jesus' stonement and offender's repentance and faith in Jesus. Otherwise, there is only justice in hell.

July 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Carnivore Pride

YOU ARE FOUL

July 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Carrie Ann

Why are you Christians so arrogant? I am so sick and tired of alleged Christians casting judgment on anyone who is not like themselves. It is the least Christian way to behave, completely ungodly. You need to grow up and show some respect for people other than your own kind.

July 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Guest

Keep dreaming. That cross will not save you at all.

July 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Dan

Carrie Ann, how can you say it's the least Christian way to behave? Since the religion began Christians have been called to preach repentance in Christ. You may find it unappealing, but it is not un-Christian.

July 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Jonboy

Why would anyone want to spend eternity with someone like you? See, that's the problem with heavan. How can it be paradise if it's full of Christians?

July 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • MrEee

Christian heaven is full of only Christians, Muslim heaven full of Muslims, and Hindu heaven full of cows and rats? Or is it reincarnation – in which case we better eat more beef, because such a rapidly expanding population needs more cows to reincarnate into.

July 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Dude

If Hindu heaven is full of rats and cows, shouldn't Xtian heaven be full of cone heads and hillbillies and Muslim one full of terrorists ?

July 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • mickey1313

Only if you are an ignorant arogant christian. I Know, not believe, but know, that when I die, it is over, no heaven no hell, just darkness, and the transition to worm food.

July 22, 2011 at 1:00 am |
  16. justathought

@ Reality. This is not about oganized religion, it is about belief. I am not a Hindu, nor can I subscribe to that beliief, but I will stand up for their rights. They have the right to be to be told the truth. The girl said there was no meat in the food. That proved to be untrue.

July 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • No Margin for Error

I guess if the restaurant intentionally gave them meat, perhaps there is a case here, but are we really going to tolerate a society that has no margin for error?

July 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • roggie

Very true. So they can get a free order of the veggie platter or a refund, their choice.

July 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Lavanty

@No margin for error and roggie- We have to include the yuckyness factor too. Lets say you were served puke instead of a smoothie would you advocate tolerance and a refund?

July 22, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  17. David Johnson

From the article:
    " A state appellate court ruled Wednesday that they can sue for the cost of travel to India to purify their souls."

This is a joke, right?

color me incredulous

July 21, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • MrEee

My soul is dirty just from reading about the stupidity of these diners, the courts, and of course by extension CNN, since they brought me this news. Pay up, all you filthy un-believers, I need a trip to New Zealand to make myself clean again.

SO ridiculous.

July 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • cope

I agree completely. I find this appelate court completely ridiculous and consider this a frivolous lawsuit.

July 21, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  18. justathought

@ Reality Com'on, this is about belief, not whether or not it is an organised religion. I'm not, nor can I accept the Hindu beliefs, but I will stand up for their rights, and I believe they have a right not to be lied to. The girl told them the food had no meat in it–it did.

July 21, 2011 at 6:08 pm |
  19. Reality

Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current crises:

The caste system, incarnation, lack of protein and cow worship/reverance.

July 21, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Dude

How exactly is worshipping cows a crisis ?

July 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • MrEee

Don't forget rat worship! Ah, not a problem though, because if McDonald's uses traps or poison to get rid of rats, I'm sure that's an offense they should have to pay for too, right?

July 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Dude

How exactly is worshipping rats and cows different from worshipping anything/anyone else that they do in other religions ?

July 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Reality

Having the lower castes clean up the dung of revered cows would be a crisis in any country!!

July 22, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • Truth

Caste system intent was based on roles. Craftsman, businessman, priests, ruling etc. Over the years the powerful classes took advantage of this and exploited the lower classes and everyone in india knows it. Please dont say that the western culture wasnt aware about the British "social" class system.( The Royals, nobles, baronet , labourers etc). They shamefully insist on marrying the royals to royals even now and still continue their stupid monarchy. In india, we know about our Caste system problems and our govt has put laws to remove those inequalities. It is still a work in progress. How about USA's problem of slavery and treatment of black people ? It was not until 50 years ago (remember when you got Independence ?) USA realized that blacks are human beings as well and are equal to whites. So, please cut the crap.

I am a vegetarian and Hindu. I can understand the agony of those Indian guys, but this lawsuit for cleansing souls by travelling to Haridwar is BullSxxT. Hinduism never states that you have committed a sin by unknowingly consuming meat. Hinduism only states that do not harm living creatures knowingly for any purpose. By the way, you dont have to go to Hardwar to cleanse your souls, you can very well pray or visit a temple if that makes you happy. Hinduism is probably the first religion which states that "God is omnipresent , omnipotent".

This lawsuit , I think , is more about vengeance and teaching that restaurant guy a lesson, than anything else. I dont think they will achieve anything with it, except for some stupid sense of victory. Bottomline, is every society has had its share of stupidity. India is no different. USA or the entire WEST is no different.

July 22, 2011 at 6:48 am |
    • Truth

Regarding woshipping cows. This is basic common sense to any one, who read Indian History. Cows were revered primarily because, people drank their milk. Remember you drink your mother's milk. Cow is called "GoMatha" -ie mother cow. It not only gives your milk, the people then used them for agriculture (for tilling), their primary source of food. I personally think that non-vegetarianism is such a primitive and medieval concept. Most of the non-vegetarians are hypocrites. You find it strange to kill a dog and eat it, yet you mercilessly kill cows, pigs, chicken. On what basis is a dog is superior to a cow or a pig ? and how about the double standards for these same animals if they are pets ?

Eating meat might make sense, when you havent discovered agriculture or have been living in places like siberia or deserts where you just cant grow a damn thing. Man has made a lot of progress but not many have yet to make progress in their eating habits. Learn the benefits of being vegetarian and stop making your tummies graveyards.

July 22, 2011 at 7:06 am |
    • Raju

I feel the intention here is to set an example and ensure that the restaurants take precaution when serving food for people with different dietary restrictions. The way they asked might be funny, but the intent is correct.

July 22, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Lavanty

Truth- I love you!

July 22, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  20. Sunny

Moghul Express is also a catering company called Moghul Catering. On the Moghul Catering menu there is Meat Samosa.
    Go On moghulcatering.com and look at the catering menu.

July 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm |