home
RSS
July 21st, 2011

Perry's 'call' could shake up GOP field

By Jim Acosta and Erika Dimmler, CNN

Austin, TX (CNN) – For Republicans who are dissatisfied with the current presidential field for 2012, it could be divine intervention.

GOP insiders see Texas Governor Rick Perry as a potential game-changer. As his state's longest serving governor, the pro-business Perry appeals to both tea party activists and Christian conservatives, all with a Texas swagger.

At a press conference Monday, Perry confirmed what he recently told the Des Moines Register. He is feeling called by his faith and his friends to run.

"I don't ever get confused. I am a man of faith," he added.

The governor resisted the suggestion that his comments meant he is being called by God to jump into the GOP race.

Read the full story about Rick Perry's 'call' to run for president
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Politics

1. DamianKnight

I have a radical solution to this whole thing. Why doesn't everyone vote the way they want to and stop arguing about the existance or lack thereof of a being to which neither side can definitively prove their argument?

Athiests, you vote however you want to. Agnostics, you vote however you want to. Those of religious beliefs, you vote however you want to. Then, we tally up ALL of the votes (and I suppose we have to include Florida here, even though we know punching chads is a difficult process) and whoever got the most wins.

I know, I know, it's a new line of thought...but it's just crazy enough to work...

July 22, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
    • Kyle

When people stop voting for candidates based on their religious beliefs and start voting based on the candidate's legitimate qualifications, I'll stop complaining.

July 22, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • DamianKnight

But see, you're laboring under the assumption that religious beliefs is not a "legitimate qualification." It may not seem to be to you, but it is to someone else, and obviously, quite a few "someone elses." The question becomes what is a legitimate qualification? Some might say, serving in the military. That's not necessarily a legitimate qualification to me. Some might say, experience in Congress. That may not be. Our current President had barely been in Congress and he was voted in by an overwhelming majority. This is why I say, vote to your conscience.

July 22, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Laughing

When people stop using policy from 2,000 years ago to and tryin to apply it to the present, I'll stop complaining.

July 22, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
  2. CW

Really hope this Govenor runs.

We need a christian to run this nation. I see all the non believers and atheist's have made it yet again. You know its a very good thing that these non believers and atheist come and poke fun or mock christians. Maybe one day there will be a christian that writes something that will really get these folks to think about their eternity and where they will want to spend it. Just a hope....for all you that don't believe in God Almighty.

July 22, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

I'd like to spend my eternity in Valhalla, but it's hard to find a good mead hall these days where one can pay homage to Odin.

July 22, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Lee

Do you even realize how insulting and arrogant your comment is? How would you like it if someone posted a thinly veiled threat of eternal torture without any evidence or reason to back it up?

July 22, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • Civiloutside

I suspect that many of us have thought about where we would like to spend eternity. We refer to this exercise as "fantasizing." In the end, if the place doesn't really exist, there's no real point in losing sleep over whether I can go there or not.

July 22, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • J.W

I think that most presidents have been christian

July 22, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
    • JIm

Life is simple when you break it down into my way or the highway. You don't have to consider those that aren't approved of. It's scary to think that a candidate that CW likes would get elected to president. What about all those "non-believers"? It's not that they don't believe, they just don't believe what CW does. We need a president who is looking out for the whole nation, not for just those that believe what he does. Obama is doing a pretty good job with what he was dealt. He's being pretty creative at making something positive out of the mess that the last "believer" left him.

July 22, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Artist

People I present to you the Christian Taliban member CW. CW is the perfect example of why the GOP is fracturing. The GOP needs to distance itself from the zealots like CW. The zealots simply need to create their own party. They would be happier and the GOP would get back to the basics. Moderates could then return to the GOP. Or the moderates need to keep leaving the GOP and create their own party. Right now the dems are winning because of this fracture.

July 22, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Dave

Every US President in history has been a professed Christian...yeah dude, even THE BLACK GUY that you hate with every fiber of your being, in clear violation of your Christian teachings, you bleeping hypocrite.

July 22, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
  3. Civiloutside

The idea that Perry or Bachman could be the Republican nominee irritates me, and I think it should irritate Republicans as well. There is serious work that needs to be done by the leadership of this country. I like Obama, but I also see that the economy just isn't turning around the way it should and perhaps a change in policy would be needed. I would like to see a Republican candidate whose economic policy ideas could be seriously considered as an alternative, instead of one who must be opposed because they want to undermine American democracy in favor of theocracy, refuse to take yhe First Amendment seriously as applying to all religions (or lack thereof), or are delusional enough to believe a god is specifically speaking to them and telling them what to do. I want a real choice.

And frankly, those who lack the discernment to tell the difference between opposition to the government endorsing religion and attempting to suppress all public expressions of faith also lacks the discernment to make complex executive decisions.

July 22, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  4. Matt

"I don't ever get confused. I am a man of faith"

Prideful much, Gov. Perry? Even Jesus had his moments of doubt – you'd remember that if you had read past the "stone the nonbelievers and teh gheyz" parts of your Bible.

July 22, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  5. Frogist

He says he never gets confused? A guy who thinks a day of fasting and prayer to Jesus funded by a hate group is what is needed for fixing our country's economic etc woes sounds pretty confused to me. I don't have a problem with introspection, but somehow I don't think that's what he has in mind.
    Also: "There are some dogs that are too ugly to hug"?! I just love the way Texans talk!

July 22, 2011 at 9:26 am |

@think for yourself
      pointing out that "reality" is quite a few bricks shy of a load, is in no way an endorsement of rick.you jump to conclusions too quickly in your zeal to promote your "own" opinions.perhaps you should run the country or would a three year old still be better?

July 22, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  6. Doc Vestibule

"I don't ever get confused. I am a man of faith."
    Translation:
    I don't let facts interfere with my decisions.

July 22, 2011 at 8:55 am |
    • Ron

Funny. It reminds me of some of George Bush's (last president) comments.
      I agree. Perry is playing heavily on the 'religion' card to get the evangel votes. Such a man has no business in the office as President. I have no doubt that he'd push things towards a Christian (evangel) Theocracy, which is what so many evangels seem to desire. I don't need to be 'saved' by him, his religion or beliefs. If, for what ever reason he were to get the GOP vote to run as President, I'm sure the Democrats will win hands down. People aren't stupid, look at Iran, killing, imprisoning, all in the name of their religion and god. Perry, imo, wouldn't be much different.

July 22, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban

He doessn't need facts when he has god's word and faith.

July 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  7. justathought

////////////////////////////////////////////////// @ Reality I don't know what kind of grades you may have gotten in secular history, but you sure are p-poor in Biblical history. /////////////////////////////////////////////////////

July 22, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • Sir Craig

Seeing as biblical history has about as much basis in fact as the Brothers Grimm, I'd say Reality has just as much validity as any theologian scholar.

July 22, 2011 at 6:24 am |

@sir craig
      you have forgotten about Kedorlaomer?
      and all"reality"does is paste the same old crap time after time,this appears to be one out of touch with reality and in serious need of help.to reality habeas corpus

July 22, 2011 at 8:07 am |
    • think for yourself

I would say that the one who bases his/her life around an invisible god is the one "out of touch with reality and in serious need of help".
      The U.S. being run by an imaginary friend is a scary thought. May as well have a 3 year old run the country.

July 22, 2011 at 9:03 am |
    • Truth

The 3 year old would certainly be an improvement over who we have now.

July 22, 2011 at 9:28 am |

@think for yourself
      error on the play a response to your "wisdom"was posted but ended up under the next post i.e. frogist,defending "reality" must be like eating soup with your hands

July 22, 2011 at 10:14 am |

@truth
      are you such a wit all the time,or only when you have another poster to suck up to?

July 22, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • Kyle

Mythology != history.

July 22, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
  8. Reality

As we "thu-mp" along with reviews, rational thinking, conclusions and reiteration to counter the millennia of false and flawed religious history and theology!!!------––

An updated prayer to summarize:

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians during the past 200 years)

I might believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven.

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
    and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

July 22, 2011 at 12:25 am |

habeas corpus

July 22, 2011 at 8:10 am |
    • DamianKnight

@Reality,

You want to talk reason and logic?

The Bible clearly talks about Jesus being buried in the tomb of Joseph of Arimethea. Joseph of Arimithea was a wealthy man, probably a member of the Sanhedrin. The reason this is important is because at the time of the writing, the author knew that the readers would have known EXACTLY where that was; just like today, if someone references the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, we know where that is.

So much for your "Unmarked grave" theory.

July 22, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • fimeilleur

@ Damian Knight

– if someone references the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, we know where that is

Right in front of the Kremlin in Moscow, or is it in Sofia, Bulgaria? or maybe the one in Ottawa, Canada?... Oh shoot... where is it again?

😉

July 22, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Reality

From Professors Crossan and Watts' book, Who is Jesus:

"That Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, as the Creed states, is as certain as anything historical can ever be.

“ The Jewish historian, Josephus and the pagan historian Tacitus both agree that Jesus was executed by order of the Roman governor of Judea. And is very hard to imagine that Jesus' followers would have invented such a story unless it indeed happened.

“While the brute fact that of Jesus' death by crucifixion is historically certain, however, those detailed narratives in our present gospels are much more problematic. "

“My best historical reconstruction would be something like this. Jesus was arrested during the Passover festival, most likely in response to his action in the Temple. Those who were closest to him ran away for their own safety.

I do not presume that there were any high-level confrontations between Caiaphas and Pilate and Herod Antipas either about Jesus or with Jesus. No doubt they would have agreed before the festival that fast action was to be taken against any disturbance and that a few examples by crucifixion might be especially useful at the outset. And I doubt very much if Jewish police or Roman soldiers needed to go too far up the chain of command in handling a Galilean peasant like Jesus. It is hard for us to imagine the casual brutality with which Jesus was probably taken and executed. All those "last week" details in our gospels, as distinct from the brute facts just mentioned, are prophecy turned into history, rather than history remembered."

See also Professor Crossan's reviews of the existence of Jesus in his other books especially, The Historical Jesus and also Excavating Jesus (with Professor Jonathan Reed doing the archeology discussion) .

July 23, 2011 at 7:46 am |
  9. Spiffy

I am God.

July 21, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • herbert juarez

i do not believe that there even is a spiffy.

July 22, 2011 at 4:02 am |
    • OceanLight

Spiffy = an atheist gone mad. N. Korea, Spiffy's utopia, doesn't have any mental hospital for Americans.

July 22, 2011 at 4:47 am |
    • Sir Craig

OceanLight: You are SUCH a lovely example of Christian love and understanding. Thank you for your enduring presence.

July 22, 2011 at 6:31 am |
    • Tiktaalik

If you read OceanLight's comments satirically, they're actually pretty funny.

July 22, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  10. OceanLight

If America gets a godly President, people will once again pour out all their good talents on America. America will thrive once again for good. A beloved nation...

July 21, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
    • JF

So what you are saying is that we need another president that will invade a country without reasonable cause waisting American lives and resources because God told him too. Yes that's exactly what we need.

July 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Spiffy

@JF but think about all the excitement in the news compared to today! Also this guy apparently is hearing some guy who knows everything. How could it go wrong?

July 21, 2011 at 11:22 pm |

@jr
      before accepting any comment from "spiffy" you should check previous posts.there are those who do not believe that spiffy exists.spiffy could be the greatest myth ever foisted off on mankind.

July 22, 2011 at 4:01 am |
    • OceanLight

@JF, America does not spill her blood in vain, if she returns to God. America always liberates others.

July 22, 2011 at 4:52 am |
    • Sir Craig

OceanLight: History fail. Not even worth going into, but you might want to ask yourself how "liberated" a few hundred thousand dead Iraqis and scores of dead Native Americans feel.

July 22, 2011 at 6:22 am |
    • fimeilleur

New screen name? It's hard to keep up with you... I've been off line for 5 days now... how many names did I miss?

July 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
  11. herbert juarez

temper temper little man,gods post ,is at face value unless you yourself are god,as such god missed the boat. sorry it pops your cork but hey that is your problem isn't it?

July 21, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • John Richardson

Hey, Herbert! Your next intelligent thought will be your first! Keep trying!

July 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • herbert juarez

this was actually a reply on the"god" thread that got misplaced...my bad...replying directly to you ...bite me!

July 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  12. OceanLight

The Bible records, "This day I call the heavens and the earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the LORD your God, listen to His voice, and hold fast to Him. For the LORD is your life, and He will give you many years in the land He swore to give to your fathers, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob." (Deuteronomy 30:19, 20)

July 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Kebos

The lord is NOT my life and yet I have been many years on this land. Go figure. And Abraham and the others are not my fathers. Far as I can tell, they were psychotic and perhaps schizophrenic as well. Yet their stories have been passed down, along the line, mouth to mouth, to become the twisted tales that they are. I feel sorry for people like OceanLight who live their entire lives a blind lie without appreciating the true value of life on this planet. They really do miss out on the ultimate experience of life, family, friendship and peace.

July 21, 2011 at 9:13 pm |
    • OceanLight

Kebos, you say things you say because you never read the Bible. Americans became stupid and evil after quitting reading the Bible. You are not and never will be smart like the Bible-reading Jews anyway.

July 21, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • OceanLight

There is nothing ultimately good in godless America. Just ultimate decline, yes. America needs godly leaders NOW.

July 21, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • Sir Craig

What a sad little universe you live in, OceanLight. Those that supposedly "read and heed" the Bible are most likely those who do neither, instead using it to prop up their little hatreds and bigotries. That you go on the attack against Kebos who, as far as I can tell, said nothing out of place (especially if you have ACTUALLY read the bible—those guys were nuts, especially Abraham), you seethe with nothing but venom. Very Christian of you.

By the way, Rick Perry is a con man: Nothing more, nothing less. He uses religion like many use it: As a means to achieve power and control over those who are too weak-willed to think for themselves.

July 22, 2011 at 12:18 am |
    • OceanLight

@Craig, you're a sad man. Educate your fellow atheists to behave. Your country is nothing if there wasn't Abraham. The Founding Fathers followed Abraham's faith and courage. All the popular names in America are Jewish, nothing else. Anyone is more trustworthy than American atheists on line.

July 22, 2011 at 4:57 am |
    • Sir Craig

OceanLight: Yes, keep telling yourself that. Atheists are SO untrustworthy, unlike such godly men as Eddie Long, Jimmy Swaggart, Ted Haggard, Jim Bakker, Pope Alexander VI (aka Roderick Borgia), Rabbi Saul Kassin, et freakin' cetera. And really, what does it matter if the "more popular" names in America might have Jewish origins? That is merely argumentum ad populum, a logical fallacy. All it means is people are more aware of and/or more comfortable with names that have been around a long time and nothing more.

Again, you fail to convince. Perhaps it is time you gave up.

July 22, 2011 at 6:18 am |
    • think for yourself

Oceanlight, our founding fathers were deists at best. Thomas Jefferson was an outright atheist. Our country was founded on separation of church and state for a reason, as they saw the true evils of mixing politics and religion. How we have regressed so far is beyond me.

July 22, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban

I think I wiped my @ rse with the verse once. Thank god I had it after running out of TP. God does work in mysterious ways.

July 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • fimeilleur

Come on people, OceanLight is SOOOoooo right... just look at the OTHER interesting tidbits from Deuteronomy...

DEUTERONOMY 2:33-34 Under God’s leadership, the Israelites utterly destroyed the men, women and children of Sihon. "…we left no survivors."

DEUTERONOMY 3:6 Under God’s leadership, the Israelites destroyed the men, women and children of Og. They plundered the livestock and possessions.

DEUTERONOMY 7:2 God told the Israelites, regarding their enemies, to "destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy."

DEUTERONOMY 20:13-14 God laid down the rules for battle, instructing the slaughter of all of the men. Women, children, livestock and possessions could be taken as "plunder for yourselves."

DEUTERONOMY 20:16 "…in the cities of the nations the LORD your god is giving you as an inheritance, do not leave alive anything that breathes."

DEUTERONOMY 21:10-13 According to God’s law, if an Israelite soldier was at war with an enemy, and he saw a beautiful woman that he found attractive, he could capture her to be his wife. She must then shave her head, trim her nails and discard the clothing she was wearing when captured. She could mourn her father and mother for a month. If the soldier wasn’t pleased with her for any reason, he could "let her go wherever she wishes."

DEUTERONOMY 28:53 God’s punishment for disobedience included eating "the fruit of the womb, the flesh of the sons and daughters the LORD your God has given you."

How can we NOT accept this as proof of God's unwavering love for all his creation? Praise me some Jesus!!!!!

July 22, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Lycidas

Good job taking all that out of context fimeilleur. I was afraid we would have to wait for some random drooling fool to do something like that....thank goodness you showed up.

July 22, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • fimeilleur

Oh, Lycidas, again with the CONTEXT...

When, when, WHEN is taking a woman as a slave morally acceptable to you? Just answer me that one!!!! I must have a higher moral standard than your God!

July 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Lycidas

@fimeilleur- Are you familiar with the science fiction concept of the "Prime Directive"?

Are you makin the error in as.suming your morality is superior to another culture's? Are you also on the verge of making the mistake of trying to get others to agree with you as if that supports your position?

July 22, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • fimeilleur

@ Lycidas,

I was unaware that slavery was a cultural issue... FAIL.

– making the mistake of trying to get others to agree with you as if that supports your position?

Ummm Sherlock? That is the NUMBER 1 claim that Christians make when asserting their God... 3 Billion (or whatever the number is today) Catholics / Christians / believers / ect. So no, I'm not making that mistake, you are. You inferring that I'm making the same mistake is known as transferance. Learn to accept responsibility for you own actions and quit trying to blame an invisible sky fairy or big daddy baddy on your problems.

July 22, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  13. OceanLight

May America obtain God's mercy by electing godly leaders. Dearest America, do not die and live.

July 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Kebos

Godly leaders are not what we need. We need honest, intelligent people that can make hard decisions without the corruption of politics to put America back on the right track. Praying to one or more gods and having someone in power who does that won't help one bit. George W Bush did that and see where that got us. A trillion+ dollar war in Iraq and a lot of our fine soldiers sent home in body bags. Yeah, ol' GW Bush, he sure was a godly man.

July 21, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • OceanLight

Kebos, America needs Christian morality. The Middle East needed to be open. Oppression should not go on in any country. USA didn't win wars clean because it didn't provide Muslims the Bibles they needed.

July 21, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • Sir Craig

Again, you are a very sad little person, OceanLight. "Christian morality" is simply an oxymoron like "jumbo shrimp" or "actual fake." Muslims had a dose of "christian morality" with the Crusades, when I'm sure more than enough bibles were available to them.

Muslims, by the way, are just as deluded as any other religious cult, including christians.

July 22, 2011 at 12:21 am |
    • OceanLight

Craig, you are another liberal ignorantie on history. If Muslims had the Bible, they'd have toppled the West long time ago and would've been #1 prominent just like America, or even better than America. You Westerners are barbaric air-heads if you didn't have the Bible.

July 22, 2011 at 5:00 am |
    • Sir Craig

OceanLight: I'm getting the distinct impression English and its idioms may not be your primary means of communication, otherwise your gibberish might be easier to follow. Religion and christianity have nothing to do with morality or even as a basis for such other than to provide a non-existent threat in the form of some kind of hellish afterlife, meant to scare those who are otherwise too morally weak to know what is right from wrong. America gets its strength from being brave enough to allow diversity, whereas your way of thinking (and those like you) is a true threat to that strength by attempting to marginalize or outlaw any belief (or lack thereof) which fails to conform or follow your own. You live in a world of blinders and willful ignorance—the rest of us shall instead move forward, not back, and leave you in the dust.

Happy trails!

July 22, 2011 at 6:01 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban

OceanLight = Adelina

July 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  14. fernace

I wonder if God was speaking to guv'nah Goodhair when he diminished just about every necessity program in Tx., including education, & help for the poor, elderly & ill!? In the meantime he lives in a mansion that cost working Texans 10G per month! He's also "calling" on Christians to "pray for the nation"! No separation of church & state, there! My take is he's an ar.ro gant hy.po.cr.ite!!

July 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  15. OceanLight

Yes, please bring back the beloved America to godly sanity!! Only a man of faith can do. Much prayers needed. Whatever the outcome for a nation, the battle for righteousness is always worth. History will record how American Christians endured and it will forever inspire the generations to come.

July 21, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • Kebos

How about a good man of Islam. Will that do? A godly man who prays many times a day and follows the good teachings of Mohammed and strives to bring in Sharia law. Will that do? I mean, you can't get any more godly than that.

July 21, 2011 at 9:18 pm |
    • OceanLight

Kebos, godliness grants liberty and justice and morality.

July 21, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  16. frank

He looks like an android Tommy Lee Jones made in China.

July 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • frank

Batteries sold separately.

July 21, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  17. Spiffy

So he hears voices telling him what to do. Maybe he should be checked out.

July 21, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • herbert juarez

as i was going to the fair
      i met a man who wasn't there
      he wasn't there again today
      i sure do hope he stays away
      spiffy do you exist?can you be checked out?

July 21, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • Spiffy

I do exist. There is proof of my existence. I do not need stupid rhymes to try to make a point.

July 21, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • herbert juarez

i don't believe you exist
      i can't see you and you only appear as words on a page
      i am certain of it
      you do not exist,but lets put it to a test
      lets ask all who read your supposed communication to weigh in as to whether or not you exist
      as for me i do not believe you are there

July 21, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
    • GodPot

Maybe we ought to make sure no one has planted hidden speakers in the Governors office, it's the 2nd Texas Governor in a row to hear voices he believes to be God.

July 21, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • GodPot

I think spiffy exists, he is writing his own thoughts down for us to read. He is not claiming to be spiffy through another poster that is claiming spiffy's existence.

July 21, 2011 at 6:56 pm |

@god pot
      so to you a writing of ones thoughts is evidence enough for the existence of spiffy?
      interesting concept but i just don't buy it, i think spiffy is a con, but as it stands we have one spiffy believer and one opposed

July 21, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • GodPot

Im saying that if we read someones writing that says "I am Spiffy, I exist" I am more likely to believe it than if i read "I am herbert, God exists".

July 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • News Flash

There must be something in the water in Texas.

Seriously, the "true" conservatives, who want the government OUT of peoples personal lives, fiscal restraint, and government reform, must be wondering how these wackos hijacked their party, and why they can't come up with a respectable candidate.

July 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm |

@god pot
      well do you belie in spiffy or don't you? your previous post seemed to indicate yes ,now you appear less certain .which is it you can't have it both ways .do you believe or are you just likely to?

July 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Spiffy

@herbert juarez I do not think you are real. I think someone else is writing this for their own personal agenda in order to control people for future generations.

Using your same logic we have no proof you exist.

July 21, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • herbert juarez

interesting post but it does not address the issue as to whether or not there is a spiffy.trying to divert attention from the real issue should be a clue to all that spiffy doesn't exist.

July 22, 2011 at 4:16 am |
  18. frank

"He is feeling called by his faith"
    That's probably just a ringing in his ears from high blood pressure.

July 21, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
  19. JohnR

This guy will polarize the electorate in a huge way.

July 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
    • GodPot

His skin sure looks like it's been Polarized... He could double for Roald Amundsen.

July 21, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  20. God

Rick, this is God calling. That's right, Me, with a capital "G". I want you to push that big red button on your desk. Yeah, that one that launches all the missiles.

Faith is for the very stupid.

July 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
    • herbert juarez

rick doesn't have a red button, comment above by the very stupid

July 21, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • GodPot

@herbert – So Santa, Jesus and the tooth fairy were out golfing and one of them scored a goal...

Aren't you going to correct me? It's obvious you don't score goals in golf, duh... what a stupid comment...

July 21, 2011 at 6:59 pm |

@god pot
      my bad i mistaken thought everyone knew governors did not have the nuclear option.for future reference so you don't look quite so simple, the nuclear trigger is at a higher "national" level.you do understand the difference between a state and a nation?

July 21, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
    • herbert juarez is very stupid

herbert juarez is very stupid. Really, really, really stupid. The post by God was obviously presenting the scenario of Perry after becoming President.

Of course, God can do whatever the hell he wants. But because Perry is such a nimwit and a beliefy loser, God wouldn't let him win over 'Bama anyway.

July 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • herbert juarez

temper temper little man,gods post is at face value unless you yourself are god,as such god missed the boat.sorry it pops your cork but hey that is your problem isn't it?

July 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • herbert juarez has a small one

He's really tiny. God didn't like him. His brain is really small too.

July 21, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • herbert juarez has a small one

herbert juarez like to put corks into his own ass.

July 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • herbert juarez

whoever you are it is apparent you equate vulgarity with wit,bottom line the original post was stupid and the subsequent rants have gone downhill from that opinion,at this level,you are way, way below stupid!

July 22, 2011 at 4:08 am |
    • Dave

Herbert, do yourself a favor and stop posting. Yes, he knows the difference between a state and the country. He was obviously making a satirical comment about what MIGHT happen if Perry became President. In your zeal to mock someone else for "not getting it," all you did was draw attention to YOURSELF "not getting it." You're clearly not very sharp, and you're making a fool of yourself. So please: shut up.

July 22, 2011 at 1:04 pm |

@ dave
      a class in reading comprehension might do you the world of good.what is obvious to You and your kind is not what was posted was it?the original attempt at the supposed satire falls way short of wit and those who try to redefine it are worse yet.feel free to include yourself.by the way who is the he you refer to?as to your personal suggestions i would reply kiss my...

July 22, 2011 at 1:25 pm |

@dave
      i was way too generous with you on my previous post
      who do you think you are curtailing my 1st amendment rights, where do you get off
      who gave you authority to interpret the meaning of what was said and change it to suit your argument
      take your obvious and stick it where the sun don't shine you commie sob

July 22, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Dave

Your "first amendment rights?" Are you insane?

By refusing to admit your mistake and now throwing a tantrum about it, you've made yourself look EVEN MORE FOOLISH than before. All because you didn't get the guy's joke. I'm a commie because of that? You're out of your mind. And clearly a very, very stupid person.

July 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm |

@dave
      it's been shown that you created a bogus interpretation of what was posted ,can't be much clearer than that ,and to further clarify my position( although i don't think you could comprehend it)i have as much right to my opinion as you have to yours
      .i made no mistake other than to respond to an obvious idiot like you. a mistake that can be rectified long after you're gone.

July 22, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • juan valdez

herbert's position has been clarified here but it makes his knees hurt.

July 22, 2011 at 2:56 pm |

@juan valdez
      bite me

July 22, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban

Faith = wishful thinking
      Faith in bible = wishful thinking in writers that have since passed.
      Faith in magic wizard in the sky that talks to them = schizophrenia

July 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm |