August 2nd, 2011
08:02 AM ET
Church bombing wounds at least 20
By Mohammed Tawfeeq, CNN
Baghdad (CNN) - A car bomb exploded outside a Catholic church in central Kirkuk early Tuesday, wounding at least 20 people, authorities said.
The attack took place in Kirkuk's Shatterlo neighborhood around 5:30 a.m., according to a police official who spoke to CNN on condition anonymity, because he's not authorized to speak to the media.
The wounded included staff from the Holy Family Church and people with homes nearby.
Police said at least 20 people were injured in the attack, while the Interior Ministry put the number at 23.
The explosion damaged the church and a number of nearby houses, police said. Kirkuk is an ethnically divided mixed city located about 240 kilometers (150 miles) north of Baghdad.Read the full story here
soundoff (71 Responses)« Previous 1 2
About this blog
The CNN Belief Blog covers the faith angles of the day's biggest stories, from breaking news to politics to entertainment, fostering a global conversation about the role of religion and belief in readers' lives. It's edited by CNN's Daniel Burke with contributions from Eric Marrapodi and CNN's worldwide news gathering team.
Why do people feel it necessary to repeat their loooong posts? I got it the 1st time & it doesn't become more true the 2nd time! "Fact-telling" almost nothing of what you post are facts! Only in your fantasy- world have christians saved billions of people! Btw, God loves those "stupid atheists" you abhore so much! Bo, you're very noble in your effort to spread the message of love, but even God doesn't expect us to love others More than ourselves! He says:"Love your neighbor as yourself." That's good enough for me! We do believe in & pray to the same God!I wonder when more people will recognize this fact? He has many names, kinda like my grand mom! He's not even a he, but a spirit! Giving him a gender is a) tradition, b) convenience! Muslims & Christians have fought & slaughtered eachother for centuries! Maybe we will stop the madness when we dicover we're praying to the same God, Allah, Jah, Jehova, Yaweh, El etc.!!
Do you remember Goofy?
I suppose, the Church bombing was committed by model Muslims, called Islamists.
Muhammad commanded his adherents to kill Jews and Christians and to destroy the whole Church.
Concerning the Church bombing, Muhammad would say: Well done!
May Muhammad burn in a hell of fire for ever and ever!
Do you think any human court would think eternal painful torture is a fair and appropriate torture for sins in a short mortal life? If so, which sins?
@Fake HeavenSent, The sins humans commit are more serious and permanent in cosmic reality than we mortals want to think, but the sense of time and dimention will be different in afterlife. The divine judgment is perfect justice. Read Revelation 20.
In Germany you could get punished (by the state), if you would claim that Hitler did not murder the Jews (denial of the Holocaust).
The same way, Hitler murdered the Jews, Muhammad and his successors (the Caliphs) murdered the Christians (Turkey has murdered bulks of Christians).
One the one hand the mass media shout at everyone, who denies the Holocaust, but on the other hand they praise people, denying the killing of Christians by Muhammad and his successors.
Both must be condemned, Hitler's Holocaust and Muhammad's homicide of Christians.
Muhammad and Hitler will spend eternity at the same place: The Hell!
This Nazi punk is just trying to put a Muslim spin on Hitlers rhetoric, and you know where that led the last time.
He is guilty of Christian HATRED, just like all the others in the supposedly superior race.
His people gassed children and old ladies because they refused to worship his Christian god, and now this nutcase wants to do the same to the Muslims.
@William Demuth, the Siberian.
You have no idea!
The Nazis killed the Jews, because they had a racist doctrine of pure blood. They really thought the Jewish blood would contaminate the German blood. They were as ill as Muhammad.
That the Jews didn't believe in Christ, was not the reason for the Holocaust. The Nazis also slayed Christians!
I will never harm an ordinary Muslim, but point to the fact that Muhammad's belief could motivate the Muslims to kill me and my Christian friends.
I condemn the Islamic doctrine, but I do not condemn ordinary Muslims. I love my neighbour in Christ's name.
“model Muslims, called Islamists”
Uh-huh. The Islamists that did this are model Muslims the way the Westboro Baptist Church are model Christians. Your thesis starts with an inaccuracy, which renders everything after it incorrect.
It’s extremism that is the problem, not a particular faith. Muslims honor Jews and Christians as “people of the book”. That book would be the Old Testament, which is one of Islam’s holy books.
“I condemn the Islamic doctrine, but I do not condemn ordinary Muslims.”
I sincerely doubt you know a single thing about Islamic doctrine. You only have what you’ve been fed by people with an agenda. You condemn Muslims every time you post.
IUntil tday, they don't understand that they are saved by Christian present on that country. We will wait until Christians become zero then we nuke the country. Remember Saddam and Gommorah?
@Sat-, don't talk non-sense. Nuking anywhere will ruin the whole planet. Look at Ja-pan for what's happening by just leaking the nuke. Let God deal with villains.
Add this atrocity to the following list:
As the koranic/mosque-driven acts of terror and horror continue:
The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century
■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "
and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.
and more recently
1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured
1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh
2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured
3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf
4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.
5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.
6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.
7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.
8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.
9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.
10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror
11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.
12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.
13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,
14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.
15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.
16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.
17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.
18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.
19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011
20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011
21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.
22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) – Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.
TROLL ALERT – this is complete garbage don't waste your time, click the report abuse link to get rid of this troll.
They call it "holy Ramadan", and it's the bloodiest season of the year. If you want to know why these evil things occur, please try to read the Koran, and while reading, replace the word "Allah" with "Satan".
No Satan about it, they just get a bit rambunctious from too much strong tea.
It's atheists and secularists who worship Satan. Muslims are okay comparing to them.
Go crawl back into the Bronze Age hellhole you named yourself after.
We don't worship ANYONE or ANYTHING and we loathe you because you do.
You are weak minded and pathetic trying to bunch us with you mental cases.
Atheists killed countless innocent human beings millions upon millions last century alone. Stupid uneducated Americans have total false fantasies on atheism. Communists didn't give them enough lessons. Lose your land to China.
You know, Jerusalem (is that the new name for today?), God REALLY doesn’t like it when you lie. In fact, God disliked lying so much he made it one of His Top 10 Rules. If you break those rules, you go to Hell. What did Jesus say? “Repent and sin no more.” You’d better start groveling now and stop lying from this day forward.