home
RSS
August 3rd, 2011

My Take: How I turned 'misery to ministry'

By Jacquie Hood Martin, Special to CNN

Editor’s note: Jacquie Hood Martin is Chief Spiritual Officer for Jacquie Hood Ministries and author of “Fulfilled, The Art and Joy of Balanced Living.” She is married to CNN contributor Roland Martin. The CNN Red Chair Interview weekly franchise strives to look at people’s past to see what made them who they are today. We also want to know their biggest pivotal and “aha” moments in their lives.

(CNN) – It’s true what they say, that hindsight is 20-20. Looking back provides me with the clarity and ability to address the many things that have happened in my life.

Many people will say there are no bad experiences, that it’s our perspective on the things that happen in our lives that cause us to label them good or bad. I believe that is an improper analysis.

I have been able to find the silver lining in all the things that have happened to me, but only because the love I know the Lord has for me lets me be in God’s grace and keeps me well adjusted.

I grew up initially in a single parent home where my mother and I were raised by her grandmother. God’s favor allowed my mother to meet a man who married her and her 2-year-old daughter. Yes, it was a package deal.

My first sibling, a sister, was born when I was 8. A second sister arrived when I was 10. We became a party of five who lived the American dream. My parents owned a car and a home and were both employed. We even had pets: a dog, cat and a turtle. I include this because I marvel at people who say this kind of life did not exist for African-Americans before the Huxtables. I was born in 1965, and by 1975 things were looking pretty good.

In 1976, as a fifth grader, I had my first experience with personal tragedy. A teenage boy abducted me, held me against my will and tried to sexually assault me. Many things go through a tween girl’s mind after such an encounter. It has a way of shaping your outlook on men and relationships, as well as a yearning to give back to the community so you can save someone else’s child - even if you were unable to save yourself.

I kept this to myself until the summer of 1992. I was preparing for the ministry, and the process of purging my past allowed me to reveal to my mother what happened that horrible day in fifth grade. I have since taken the opportunity, as some would say, to turn my “misery into a ministry.” Whether on radio or television, in columns or books, I find comfort in knowing that whatever I have experienced can help others live again.

During my time in the Red Chair, I grew even more as a woman, a leader, a Christian, a wife and a writer. The Red Chair interview has provided me with greater clarity on my life’s purpose, and how I have been able to balance my life without losing faith in myself and in others.

In my column for Hope for Women magazine, I share in detail “How to Heal After the Reveal.” There will be moments in every person’s life where they will wake up from their nightmare, stupor, stupidity, trauma, haze, or whatever self-induced coma-like state they find themselves in. And I hope my words, my ‘Red Chair’ moment, can help bring them back to sanity and safety among the rest of the human race.

Next week in CNN's Red Chair: TLC’s “The Little Couple,” Jen Arnold and Bill Klein

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Sex abuse

1. Mari

I find it refreshing that someone isn't afraid to say what they mean and that God is in control of her life. We are all individuals and have the right to believe or not believe. Yes, I'm a believer in God and no one can change my mind about this. I would rather live my life believing that there is a God and found out later there isn't than to no believe and when the end comes I find out that I was wrong. I pray that God touches all the hearts of the people who believe but more importantly the non-believers. God is good all the time and all the time God is good!

August 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Andy

Great post, and thanks for sharing!

August 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Laughing

--pascal's wager (Pretty sure when every atheist reads your post they're thinking the same thing)

My real reason to respond however is how will you "find out later" that god doesn't exist?

August 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Spiffy

Being an atheist I will not argue with you. Unlike many Christians who come here and post bible quotes or judge everyone, you seem to be a good person. I only wish you the best.

August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

"I would rather live my life believing that there is a God and found out later there isn't than to no believe and when the end comes I find out that I was wrong."
      It sounds like you do not have faith. Perhaps you see faith for what it is.... in man not a god.

August 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • herbert juarez

does spiffy exist...i don't think so

August 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • ummm

"does spiffy exist...i don't think so"

You need to see a therapist dude.

August 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Spiffy

Thank you herbert you have reminded me why Christians are so unwilling to accept an argument of logic and reason. You would rather act like a child.

August 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • Frogist

@Mari: Hi. I don't mean to add to the wave of responses you're getting but I do have a question... why? Why would you prefer that there be a God than there not be one? I can think of a few reasons why one might find that appealing, but I think I'd prefer to hear your answers as a believer.

August 3, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • herbert juarez

there is less evidence for the existence of spiffy than there is evidence for the existence of God .
      spiffy does not exist

August 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Spiffy

herbert all I hear from you is "troll troll troll".

August 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • herbert juarez

how would one who doesn't exist judge anything?spiffy does not exist

August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |

herbert juarez

-----–
      Do not confuse assumption with evidence. Also Spiffy is posting in real time, there is more evidence right there. lol

August 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • herbert juarez

that's the thing with these deluded spiffieites, they pop up, fire a shot, want us to "believe".no real substance , no real evidence, just because taliban says so?how can people be so deceived?are you going to believe someone who describes them self with the word schizophrenics?

there is no spiffy,can't be much plainer than that,i don't care how many spiffy disciples crawl out of the woodwork,when the light comes on they will all scurry like the roaches they are.

August 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  2. why

As Christians we accept one foundational truth – God – and everything else makes sense. An atheist denies God and has to accept incredible explanations for everything else. It takes more faith to deny God than to believe in Him.

John MacArthur

August 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Atheist

We don't accept incredible explanations of everything else, if we don't know we just say so. Whereas relegious people instead of saying "I don't know", you just say "God did it".
      So I disagree with your statement

August 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Spiffy

Even if said explanations are arrived at through study and science? It seems to me that you are simply saying that because it is easier to say "God did it" that we should accept it as truth. The universe is a complex place. Just because it is easier for you to think your deity made everything doesn't make it right.

August 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Andy

@Atheist

I dont believe that there is such a thing as an atheist. If there such a thing as an atheist, then you believe that there is no God. If that is true then there must be no right or wrong either.But, if you believe that there is RIGHT and there is WRONG, then you must believe that there is some kind of moral law. If you believe in moral law then there must be a moral law giver. For example, if I went out and killed a baby, would that not be wrong???? Therefore, the question of Gods' existence self-destructs. There are too many atheists toting that kind of hatred that many people on this comment board are carrying. You all can show it in your posts. Unless we believe what you believe, then we are called inconsiderate, stupid, and hateful; all of the while you display the characteristics yourselves- hypocritical.

August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@Andy: God killed babies. By your logic that should make it ok.

August 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Spiffy

August 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Atheist

@Andy
      You're argueing with the wrong person on this, I'm borderline sociopath so killing a baby would be wrong in the sense that you would go to jail.
      We're all animals and the only reason we didn't kill each other off long ago is that we need each other to live. My moral compass says if you're useless then you should go.

August 3, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • DamianKnight

If not by God, what standard are we using to define "good", "evil", "right", and "wrong"? I'm merely curious...

August 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@DamianKnight: You're not curious. You're a troll who believes he has some sort of undefeatable argument.

You don't. We're just tired of explaining why.

August 3, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Andy

@Spiffy

They are religious in prison. Why? Its not before they go in, its after they enter in. Islam is the fastest growing religion within the prisons now, there was just a study done. This is because there is a great deal of evangelism done within the prisons themselves.

August 3, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • DamianKnight

I never claimed to have an undefeatable argument. It was a response to Spiffy's comment, "I am an atheist and I believe there is a right and wrong. If the only thing keeping you from doing wrong is fear of punishment from your deity then you are obviously doing something wrong. It is funny how the majority of prisons are occupied by the religious yet they are supposedly following the moral giver."

I asked where he (or any athiest) draws his morality from. Just because you have no answer to the question does not make me a troll.

August 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Spiffy

80% of those in prison are Christians. 7% are Muslims. While 0.2% are Atheists. I guess according to our laws Christians are just more immoral then Atheists and Muslims. But you are right even though these people follow God as their moral compass us Atheists are the ones with a problem.

August 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • ummm

“If not by God, what standard are we using to define "good", "evil", "right", and "wrong"?”

August 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • i wonder

Andy,

The "moral law giver" is natural consequences - whether an act results in generally beneficial or detrimental effects. I'm sorry but it is not always black and white. The closer that we can approach verified results of an action, the better, however. The natural consequences of killing someone puts you and your loved ones and everyone else in danger of being killed.

Supernatural consequences have not and cannot be verified.

–Jews and Muslims believe that there will be supernatural punishment for eating pork. How about you?

–Some primitive tribes believe supernatural rewards accrue from eating their dead relatives brains. How about you?

August 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@DamianKnight:

To quote Jerry A Coyne, mainly because I'm tired of formulating this argument myself:

"Religious people can appreciate this by considering Plato's question: Do actions become moral simply because they're dictated by God, or are they dictated by God because they are moral? It doesn't take much thought to see that the right answer is the second one. Why? Because if God commanded us to do something obviously immoral, such as kill our children or steal, it wouldn't automatically become OK. Of course, you can argue that God would never sanction something like that because he's a completely moral being, but then you're still using some idea of morality that is independent of God. Either way, it's clear that even for the faithful, God cannot be the source of morality but at best a transmitter of some human-generated morality."

And, yes, you are a troll.

August 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Spiffy

@DamianKnight It has been proven that those who live immoral lives by societies standards are less likely to reproduce. Morality comes from society not God.

August 3, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • herbert juarez

spiffy is a myth,there is no spiffy

August 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Spiffy

I think you should see a doctor because obviously I am here.

August 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • herbert juarez

as i was going to the fair
      i met a man who wasn't there
      he wasn't there again today i sure do hope he stays away
      spiffy is unlikely to exist

August 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@ummm

You said, "It has evolved over time. The problem is many Christians want to think it’s been defined by their god but all social animals, from ants to elephants, have modified their behaviors, by restraining selfishness in order to make group living worthwhile. We have learned from our mistakes to become the society we have and it has nothing to do with a Christian god. It's through that evolutionary process what we have defined and created laws on what is good, evil, right and wrong."

So society dictates morality. But which society is correct? Iranian society is fundamentally different than American society that is different from China's society. My point here is, Christianity derives its morality from the Bible, for better or worse. Since athiests (as a group, an individual may be different) ascribe to no book or doctorine that specifically describes morality, they rely on society (or laws) to tell them what is right or wrong.

August 3, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Also, just to add, with the example for ants and elephants...animals do not have the same concept of morality as humans do. They operate on instinct. Humans are distinct in this manner.

August 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Spiffy

@DamianKnight How do you know your book is right and the rest are wrong? There are other religions you can choose from.

Also the society in which you lives dictates what is right and wrong. It doesn't matter what society you live in because there is no overall moral code for all of humanity to live by.

August 3, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Laughing

@Damien

"So society dictates morality. But which society is correct? Iranian society is fundamentally different than American society that is different from China's society. My point here is, Christianity derives its morality from the Bible, for better or worse. Since athiests (as a group, an individual may be different) ascribe to no book or doctorine that specifically describes morality, they rely on society (or laws) to tell them what is right or wrong"

What do you mean by which society is correct? How do you measure "correctness"? They have functioning societies and revolutions thoughout history have shown that when the leaders become morally corrupt, they are changed through revolt so that someone can lead and make a new way of life that is better than the last. There's also the basic morality of do unto others as you want done unto you. That's been around since time immeorial and something you learn at a young age. You hit someone, they'll hit you back. If you don't want to be hit, then don't hit someone.

We rely on laws of the land for morality just as much as you do, but most atheists ascribe to humanist ideals. It's pretty simple actually, a lot easier to be morally good or bad than how the bible dictates it.

August 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Laughing
      @Spiffy

Just so you're aware, I ascribe to Bible as dictating morality, as much as one can given that one needs to read it with context and not blindly follow everything to the letter of the law.

As for how do I know my book is correct? It is my belief. Does that leave room for me to be wrong? Certainly. But it is my belief, nonetheless and when it comes time, I may yet be proven wrong. But I don't believe that to be the case.

I personally cannot accept humans as being moral beings. After seeing what they have done both in the name of organized religion, and the acts committed without religious backing, I cannot see how one could believe that humans are moral creatures. An individual, a person, may be moral, but the humans as a species are selfish and greedy. Now let me emphasize this point. That's the same inside the church and outside the church. Because humans run the church.

However, my Bible also commands me to obey the laws of the land I live in as long as they are not directly in contradiction to God's Word. So I obey the laws 1) Because my Bible tells me to, 2) Because I don't think prison looks like a good place to go.

August 3, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Laughing

@Damien

2 questions. 1) Is there a law in the US that forces you personally to do something that you believe is immoral? 2) Is that the case in the bible?

Also, Yes, man has shown itself to sometimes be evil, greedy and all that, but you are also willfully ignoring all the good acts that man has done with and without religious backing. I'd say it probably equals out to the point where everyones moral compass probably is on a pretty even scale (there are outliers like Stalin, Hitler, Mother Theresa, Ghandi).

You obviously don't think you're wrong, however I think unlike our friend "why" here, I hope you can understand that morality does not come from the bible and one doesn't need the bible in anyway shape of form to live a morally good life by yours or gods standards.

August 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Frogist

@DamianKnight:
      Christianity may derive its morality from the Bible but Christians do not, otherwise they would still be stoning their children and not eating lobster. Or their would not be 50 different denominations of Christianity depending on how each wants to interpret the Bible. The question of morality is a difficult one, but I believe, Christian or otherwise, we all get it from the same place. Where that place is, neither I know nor do you, I suspect. True, I am not a social scientist. Neither am I an authority on anyone's morality but my own. But to simply claim God did it is, I think, a bit lazy on our part. As for which society is correct... Well, none and all. It is not the society as a whole that is correct or incorrect, it is the individual act that must be judged. The simple fact is that we (all of us) have no outside authority to appeal to for moral judgements, no matter how hard we try or how much we want one. Even the Christian God is silent. We are only left each with our individual ideas of what is acceptable and what is not.

I think it is important to note that atheists do not have a source or authority or book from which they derive their moral rules or guidelines. The term "atheist" speaks only to a single idea, not a body of them. Maybe I should have said that first.

August 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • DamianKnight

@Laughing,

To answer your questions, I can't think of a law that the U.S. government tells me to do that is against my beliefs. However, if we were to say, look at China where they tell Christians they can't pray or own a Bible, I'd do it anyway, because it is in direct contradiction to my beliefs. And yes, there are a few scriptures which tell us to pray and to read the scriptures.

To your next statement, I go back to my original point. What is "good"? What is "evil"? What standard are we using here? Whose perspective are we looking from?

@Frogist you stated, "As for which society is correct... Well, none and all. It is not the society as a whole that is correct or incorrect, it is the individual act that must be judged. The simple fact is that we (all of us) have no outside authority to appeal to for moral judgements, no matter how hard we try or how much we want one. Even the Christian God is silent. We are only left each with our individual ideas of what is acceptable and what is not."

This, to me, is a dangerous precedent to set. We cannot rely on society, because they may be wrong (i.e. Americans owned slaves prior to 1865), so we have to rely on the individual. But we can't rely on an indvidual because they may be wrong (i.e. Adolf Hitler) and where does that leave us? For me, it is the most freeing feeling to know I have a God who is judging me as the very outside authority you spoke of earlier. So for good or ill, I will be judged and I will have to own up to the consequences.

August 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Laughing

@Damien

First, you can pray in China, read the article on christians in China at a little earlier on this blog. Even so, I'm talking about America, didn't mention China. It's funny though, there are laws in America that I think are immoral, what are they you might ask? DOMA, Ban on stem cell research, oh wait, those were made because of christian's forcing it on me. Other than that, I'm perfectly happy with the laws that we have so far. As to your second point, US law can be changed if it's so immoral that enough people vote against it. That's why there isn't slavery now. If the bible was still followed directly to the letter (which believe me, some people do) then we'd still have slavery, now.... is that immoral?

If you don't think we can rely on society because historically there have been some bad things, why does christianity and the bible have special status? Furthermore you're saying you would rather follow the bible and have god be the final judge? So how do you feel about the murderer who killed a bunch of innocent people and then repented in prison and goes to heaven? Is that fair? Answer: No, no it's not.

For your last question directed at me, what is "good" "bad" evil, ect.... as a believer you think you get your moral compass from god yes? Well as an atheist I believe we all have an inner compass and we know good and evil, good makes us happy, evil makes us sad, angry, ect...

Riddle me this, would you agree Ghandi is good or evil? He did really good things, he was incredibly peaceful, but according to your god and your bible, he's going straight to hel.l, now does that even remotely make sense?

August 3, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Frogist

@DamianKnight:
      You say we cannot rely on society or individuals because they might be wrong. But that's all we as humans have. And yes, we will be wrong sometimes. That's just how it goes. If you are looking for an absolute guarantee of correctness, you will be disappointed everytime. Even the Bible that claims it is right all the time, is obviously wrong in many instances as well. You bring up the example of slavery as a caveat to relying on society, but the Bible does not declare slavery wrong or bad or incorrect. It actually endorses it within certain confines which is something our modern society condemns as wrong. You say God is the outside force who is judging you, but He does not speak. His voice, his opinion is never made clear. All you have is a book out of which you must interpret by your own standards what is right and wrong, which you already said you do. Which brings you back to accessing that same moral compass that we all as humans must use because we have nothing else.
      I think the difficulty most believers have when discussing morality is that they are unable or unwilling to acknowledge that morality is fluid. It is not set in stone. And we as humans are fallible. And there is no clear right or wrong. Even the ten commandments are conditional. That's not to say that humans don't rely on books like the Bible, or shouldn't. We need sources provided by our fellow man by which to compare and contrast our ideas in order to understand what we believe and why. But I think it is a grave mistake to confine all your ideas to a single source which believers say is unchanging. That is the death of knowledge. Everything changes. It must to survive and grow. We all just have to muddle through as best we can. It is a scary thought. But it's all we have.

August 4, 2011 at 9:37 am |
  3. why

Imagine a person who comes in here tonight and argues 'no air exists' but continues to breathe air while he argues. Now intellectually, atheists continue to breathe – they continue to use reason and draw scientific conclusions [which assumes an orderly universe], to make moral judgments [which assumes absolute values] – but the atheistic view of things would in theory make such 'breathing' impossible. They are breathing God's air all the time they are arguing against him."

— Greg L. Bahnsen

August 3, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  4. why

— Greg L. Bahnsen

August 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Your author reminds me of simpleton christians and their logic. Also, it appears he was not in god's favor only living to 47. Curious do you talk through other people because you cannot put a simple thought together?

August 3, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • Jim P.

" but the atheistic view of things would in theory make such 'breathing' impossible. They are breathing God's air all the time they are arguing against him."

Perhaps, but you have not established *which* god out of the tens of thousands humanity has posiied. Mind you, I'm not sure what "atheist view" you are speaking about that requires me to acknowledge some god created the air I breathe.

Your logical fallacy appears to be that which is called "the excluded middle": In simple terms you are claiming that since I am wrong, you must be right. This does not follow. Any number of gods might have done this work or none at all.

August 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • why

@ATCS

why? do you read only if it was written by me?
      i am 'Why' and i endorse this message...

August 3, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • why

@Jim P, your inability to prove which God does not justify your unbelief in any God.

btw., Jesus among other Gods- DR Ravi Zacharias is a very good book for those with a questioning mind.

This is 'Why' and i endorse this message.

August 3, 2011 at 3:04 pm |

why

@ATCS

why? do you read only if it was written by me?
      i am 'Why' and i endorse this message...
      ---------------
      No I don't. So do you care to answer the question? Or are you going to post another question and perhaps a quote?

August 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Lycidas

@Artist..oops I mean Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics- "Curious do you talk through other people because you cannot put a simple thought together?"

Interesting since you quote verbatim from the nytimes and since you think changing your username will change how wrong most of your statements are.

August 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

Lycidas

--------------–
      Not sure where you get the idea I quote from the New York Times??? Actually the below definition is just that...not from an article. I don't even read the New York Times. Perhaps you are mistaking me for Reality the cut and paste monster. I post my opinions. I did post some articles on the Mormon threads I think but it wasnt from the New York Times. Also I have made no attempt to hide my writing style. Thought it was pretty obvious who I was lol
      Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

August 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm |

why

@ATCS

------
      p.s. it is ACTS...like in the bible.

August 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Lycidas

"Thought it was pretty obvious who I was lol"

Only when you started to copy/paste the same ol drivel. Lol

August 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  5. Rebecca

It is amazing how many people blame the evil that goes on in the world on God. When the truth is the natural state of man/woman is to do evil. Unless God puts the ability within us to do good we will never be able to produce it. To all the unbelievers, guess what? You are just who God has made you!

August 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Let me get this straight...I'm the way I am because god made me this way, but I'm not allowed to blame him for it?

SERIOUSLY?

August 3, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • GodPot

Quick question for you Rebecca, I'll keep it short since I can tell you don't have a lot of processor speed.

Has there ever been anyone who did a good deed without having known your God or religion?

If you have not already figured out the answer to the question then here it is: Yes, lot's of them, all over the planet, from before your religion existed. Your entire argument is mute and invalid, you need to upgrade your bio-computer to something that can run "Logic".

August 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Andy

You sir, have many talents that you may have yet to realize, whether you care to know or not. God made you unique. He made everyone unique. There are many people that are dealt a rough hand of cards, not just yourself. God wouldnt put anything in front of us if he didnt think we could handle it. Good luck to you sir!

August 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Wordy Wordpicker

GodPot,

Agree - good post. (psst: it's 'moot', not 'mute')

August 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • DamianKnight

GodPot, your answer assumes a universal "good" act. By what standard are you measuring a "good" act?

Christians say that they can do good acts because their acts line up with what God would want done, but even they say, it's not really a good act. To show you where this is found in the Bible (and by no means preaching) "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.: Isaiah 64:6

August 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • GodPot

@Wordy – Thanks 🙂 brain and fingers often disagree 🙂

@DaminanKnight – "All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags" Why? Why are others righteous acts filthy? Just because the doers of those works don't believe in the same invisible man? Good existed before religion, it was just given a name by religion and then added to throughout history as certain behaviors react differently on society. Community's where murdering your neighbor is allowed to go unpunished did not prosper and died out. Those that drew strength from each other and worked together for common goals, treated their neighbors as they would want to be treated did well and often thrived among a very harsh landscape and passed on their belief system of respect for nature which likely evolved into the worship of it and the tying in of prosperity and what we think of as "good" traits to the worship of God's, which of course Christianity is merely the child of. Do you really think that most of the ten commandments were not already in common use by the time God supposedly hand wrote them on stone tablets? They added a few not so common like keeping the sabbath, not worshiping idol's and don't covet, but do those really make a difference for most Christians lives? I see lot's of little Jesus idol's on dashboards and in churches, what happened to "You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. " And the sabbath? Not a chance. "But, but, but, Christ did away with the Mosaic law so I don't have to follow those old laws" Again, religious evolution at work. Your own bible teaches societal adaptation when it comes to making the religion fit the time and the people.

August 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • DamianKnight

"All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags" Why? Why are others righteous acts filthy? Just because the doers of those works don't believe in the same invisible man? Good existed before religion, it was just given a name by religion and then added to throughout history as certain behaviors react differently on society."

You are right. Good did exist before religion. But I'm not talking about religion. I'm talking about God. But again, what is good? I think you tried to answer here it here: Community's where murdering your neighbor is allowed to go unpunished did not prosper and died out. Those that drew strength from each other and worked together for common goals, treated their neighbors as they would want to be treated did well and often thrived among a very harsh landscape and passed on their belief system..."

But why is not murdering your neighbor good? I mean, that's good for you! You can take all of his stuff and be that much richer. Why is murder "evil"?

"Do you really think that most of the ten commandments were not already in common use by the time God supposedly hand wrote them on stone tablets?" Just, as a point of correction, God didn't write them on the tablets. He told them to Moses who wrote them on the tablets.

They added a few not so common like keeping the sabbath, not worshiping idol's and don't covet, but do those really make a difference for most Christians lives? I see lot's of little Jesus idol's on dashboards and in churches, what happened to "You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. " – Those aren't idols. Those are icons. They're different. Idols are something to be worshipped. Just like the cross. Anyone who worships the cross is fooling themselves. The cross is merely a symbol for what Jesus did. If Jesus were not upon it, it would just be a lower case "T". 🙂

And the sabbath? Not a chance. "But, but, but, Christ did away with the Mosaic law so I don't have to follow those old laws" Again, religious evolution at work. Your own bible teaches societal adaptation when it comes to making the religion fit the time and the people. – I agree and disagree. Christ came and raised the bar. I'm paraphrasing, but Jesus said, "Love your God with all your heart. And love your neighbor as yourself." If you look at the Ten Commandments, all ten of those fall squarely into those two.

August 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • GodPot

" I'm paraphrasing, but Jesus said, "Love your God with all your heart. And love your neighbor as yourself." If you look at the Ten Commandments, all ten of those fall squarely into those two."

Keeping the sabbath loving your neighbor or your god?
      Not making idol's? The Isrealites made a golden calf as a representation of their God YHWH and he killed thousands of them for it and yet people continually pray to crosses, Jesus statues, saint statues sometimes kissing the feet so often the toes have come off, all claiming to be worshiping Jesus. And how does that fall into the love your neighbor or your God? If loving your God is not worshiping others what would be wrong with loving him through a visual representation?
      And yes, the covetous law could be viewed as not loving your neighbor (or loving your neighbor to much) but its a stretch, and to claim all ten are covered under the two Jesus left is a bit silly.

August 3, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  6. pierce

Michelle sure has gained weight!

August 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  7. SATANS LEFT HAND

I AM GOING TO GET ALL OF YOU BELIEVERS!!!! MUH HAAA HAAAAA HAAAAAA (Rubbing satanic hands together)

August 3, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • satan needs coaching

satan u come unanounced..u are a stealthy creature...

in the words of C.S Lewis

The safest road to Hell is the gradual one–the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."

August 3, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Spiffy

C.S Lewis. Probably one of the worst theologians (not that there are any good ones) and the hero of modern Christianity.

August 3, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • GodPot

Rev 3:3 "Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you." I'm pretty sure that's your Christ talking, not Satan, who comes as a thief in the night. Sound's like a creepy version of Santa Claus... "Better watch out, you better not cry, you better hear and obey i'm telling you why, Jesus Christ is coming, to town..."

August 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • SATANS RIGHT HAND

Hah!! You have no idea what I'm doing do you!! No one does!! Ha Ha Ha! I have my hand up organized religions keester and can play both roles!! Good and Evil like an old Punch n Judy puppet show! But no one can tell because my hand is shoved sooooooo deep you can only see my elbow sticking out below organized religions skirts, but trust me it's in there so far they could almost bite my nails...

August 3, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Alexandrine

And Jesus got you when he walked out of that tomb 🙂
      My Savior lives and Satan has already been judged!

August 3, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • TheTruth72

@GodPot If you look back at pagan rituals, Santa Claus was modeled after various Biblical themes. Also, take time to delve a little deeper into the Bible to understand what is meant about 'coming like a thief in the night'. This has multiple meanings. Part of it refers to a parable that was told by Jesus. Another meaning has to do with Jewish wedding tradition. Another meaning is the straight forward most common meaning of coming when you least expect it.

August 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

Alexandrine

And Jesus got you when he walked out of that tomb
      My Savior lives and Satan has already been judged!

----
      Ummmm yeah....get help
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

August 3, 2011 at 2:47 pm |

@Artist- you still aren't qualified to say who has a mental disorder

August 3, 2011 at 3:21 pm |

Lycidas

@Artist- you still aren't qualified to say who has a mental disorder
      Are you so sure?

August 3, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Lycidas

Positive...especially since you copy/pasted it from the nytimes. A real doc could have written it without the assist 🙂

Not to mention you have a multiple user-name disorder.

August 3, 2011 at 3:28 pm |

Lycidas

Not to mention you have a multiple user-name disorder.

------–
      Again, it is a simple definition. Perhaps NYTimes used the same???? Also I thougth it was obvious who I was.

August 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Lycidas

Perhaps Artist....but even if that was true....a real Doc wouldn't have to lift a definition off the internet. They would have enough knowledge to write their own defintion.

Plainly put since you are obviously a plain person....you are not qualified to say who has what, if any, mental disorders. You certainly haven't hsown any insight otherwise.

August 3, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • SUPERMAN

DON'T WORRY... I'LL SAVE YOU!!! (removing eyeglasses and street clothes)

August 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm |

Lycidas

---------
      That is your opinion

August 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Lycidas

Yes it is, but it's an opinion that makes more sense than you being qualified to diagnose mental disorders on a cnn comment board.

August 8, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  8. PT Barnum

Religion, Because their is a sucker born every minute.

August 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • George

Illiteracy. There's a sucker born every minute.

August 3, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Andy

Agreed George.

August 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
  9. RF

Jacquie Hood Martin is Chief Spiritual Officer for Jacquie Hood Ministries.

What a pathetic, self-centered woman.

August 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  10. HeavenSent

Heaven sent us tornados, tsunamis, plus cancers and other diseases too numerous to mention. God must be quite the as-shole.

August 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • PT Barnum

Yup... either that or people are gullible.

August 3, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

If you had not been born then none of those things would be a problem for you. You have the power to reverse your parents mistake.

August 3, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Vonne

Heaven Sent. Really? And you disrespect God with name-calling. It would be a sad thing to go to hell in order to discover you were terribly wrong. Repent, for the day of the Lord is at hand. Jesus is coming! Unlike Harold Camping, I don't know when, but the handwriting is on the wall. God bless you all, Christians and Atheists.

August 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Alexandrine

You have no fear of the Lord, I would be terrified to say such things. Go ahead and keep on loving that sin you're living in and mocking the Almighty that way. Keep rejecting the Light that could give you eternal life. The road to hell is so easy when people love their sins.

August 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Blasphemy is a victimless crime.

August 3, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • FSM4LIFE

God is a fairy tale for the weak minded. Why should anyone fear that? God is a big dil do. Hope I live through the weekend, after that bit of blasphemy.

August 5, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  11. fernace

OMG, so many people who post on this "belief blog" seem "eaten up" with the christian-atheist tug of war! Pardon me for pointing this out, but you will never convince one another! Both groups are too entrenched in their own beliefs & this little sparr fest really serves no other purpose than to raise endorphin levels! I am curious, though, about the claim that christians have saved 7 billion people! Saved them from what, when did it happen, where did you get this questionable info from!? I used to be an evangelical christian, but years or dealing with christian hypocracy & the contradictive teachings of the bible, made me yearn for truth! Atheism or agnostisism didn't work because I couldn't turn off my belief! Instead I went the other way & now believe in Everything! An interdenominational, all inclusive belief system! It makes me feel as1 with the world & its inhabitants & I don't have to judge this or that religion because I belive in all of them! It's a wonderful solution, I highly recomend it!! 😀

August 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • George

Sweetie,

You might want to pick a side. God would rather you be hot or cold. You are either for Him or against Him. You can't sit on the fence.

August 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Spiffy

You sound like you are afraid of something. Just like agnostics. They say we can't prove or disprove God but the same exact argument could be used for invisible unicorns. No one in their right mind would believe that invisible unicorns exist so then why does an all powerful being make anymore sense?

August 3, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • J.W

I dont really intend to convert anyone on here. I simply want to explain logically what I believe.

August 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

That all incompassing view is close to how I look at things. As a Christian I am told, from both the extremist of the Faithful and the Athiest extremist that I a supposed to look at the world one way.

Bullucks on the both of them. To me Religion is no different than a martial art. I can go to a Kempo dojo and ask them how to throw a punch or throw a person, they will say that their way is "the" way to throw a punch. I go down the street to a competeing school and they will say different. The only thing important is that to me it does not matter as long as someone is ...throwing the punch.

With that, the conflicts I do not find with those that believe different and after coming to the Belief Blog and meeting rational and tolerant Atheist, I found that there are folks who you can hold great conversations with.

August 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

Not really a tug of war .. and not that many Christians here .. mostly an atheist blasting board.

August 3, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  12. why

In line with this post on Misery...

God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains: it is His megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

C.S Lewis

August 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Nonimus

It's all part of the plan?

What is God shouting when a child gets leukemia? And, should we stop vaccinations because the disease was 'meant to be' ?

August 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • why

One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak

G.K Chesterton

August 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm |

why

One sees great things from the valley; only small things from the peak

------
      I hope whatever child right now in the world who is being r a p ed and killed remembers this. Learn that lesson little B ! t c h

August 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • why

@Nonimus.

Great question, why are children hurt, why is there pain and suffering...we are mortals and do not why there is pain and suffering in this world...although, if there was no pain and no suffering then this would be heaven..but it is not..

My take:

To whom much is given much is expected...go out and bless someone else....by asking why, the pain is not going to go away. This is not heaven but we all live in a fallen world where there is Good and evil... thanks to Eve/Adam

August 3, 2011 at 2:16 pm |

why

@Nonimus.

My take:

---------
      Keep dancing. Good things are easy to explain. Contradictions are not. No offense but I will let your sky wizard answer such questions. I do not turn to men nor put my faith in writings of men to explain the actions of a sky wizard.

August 3, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Toby

C.S. Lewis was a terrific novelist, but his reasoning abilities were beyond ignorant. To those of you who ask why atheists and believers continue in this debate (despite the innocuous claim that neither can be known for certain) is that those who do NOT believe simply want to live in peace. We do not want all the bloodshed, teaching of pseudo science to children, the corruption of children's minds, government subsidies to those who claim to know the unknowable, elected leaders who consult with the supernatural in their decision-making, and the list just goes on and on. Peace.

August 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm |

Toby

-------–
      Good luck with that idea. The natives are always restless fighting on behalf of the sky wizard. Ignorance joined with advancement will be our downfall. We were doomed when we advanced without resolving myths.

August 3, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Nonimus

@why,
      So, you're saying accept it, that's the way it is. I might agree to a certain extent, biological life is a struggle by it's very nature and pain is an important part of that, but that doesn't say anything about God.
      You say without pain, we would be in heaven. Ok, why aren't we all in heaven? God wanted us to chose Him freely.... so, he puts us in a place of continuous struggle and pain and say that if we don't choose Him we will burn in hell for eternity. That seems fair doesn't it... free to choose, eternal torture or God? hmmm...

August 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • why

@Nonimus

Why is this not heaven, the answer was in the Garden of Eden.We chose to eat the forbidden fruit and experiance 'Good' and 'Evil' atleast the suffering is only on this earth. Thank God by his Grace we have eternity and will see heaven one day when we die.

August 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • ummmm

"Why is this not heaven, the answer was in the Garden of Eden.We chose to eat the forbidden fruit and experiance 'Good' and 'Evil' atleast the suffering is only on this earth."

According to christians their god is all knowing, he created Satan and created the fruit to temp Eve knowing she would eat anyways because he already knew the future....if he is a God after all....

August 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  13. HeavenSent

Amputees without legs find it hard to stand. Why doesn't your god ever grow amputees' limbs back after amputees pray to him sincerely?

See here:

August 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Magic

Yeah, axolotls and starfish and some other animals spontaneously regrow missing body parts - and they don't even pray (that I know of)!

I know folks whose tonsils regrew after removal - they did not pray for that - maybe someone's prayers for a new limb went awry?!

August 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

We do not pray for God to reverse facts. We pray for courage and vision and wisdom and acceptance and to have charity toward's folks like you. So we can understand why you would USE somebody else's amputation to further your dumb ideas.

August 3, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Alexandrine

We are to look to Job as an example of suffering. I don't know why God does some things. My life was pretty good and then I was saved by Jesus and my life turned upside down but God is purging my heart of wickedness so that I can live with Him forever when that time comes. My marriage was ruined, my health declined. I lost my home, lost just about everything I owned, my car, my personal stuff. Sometimes I thought I'd lose my mind. But what you don't understand is, Jesus is more important than all these things. I'm still walking with God five years later. I have a lot to be mad with God about and sometimes I struggle, but my pain has taught me a lot about God and the human heart. I know that God has all the answers and He is a God full of love and mercy. I trust God more than I would any human. God wants our hearts. And they have to be pure and righteous. Pain and suffering have a way of refining people's hearts. It's not about the human body, it's about the hearts of people. The flesh will grow old and soon die. The heart will live on even after death. Some people that have suffered worse tragedy than myself have the biggest most beautiful, kind, loving hearts. Like I said, pain and suffering CAN have a refining affect on people's hearts.

August 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Frogist

@Alexandrine: I'm glad you seem to have found lessons in Job's suffering. He was just some story in a book. But the idea that God created some child to die suffering because she had no food or clean water or healthcare, just to teach a lesson, does not sound like a kind, loving, benevolent god. He just sounds like a cruel dictator, more concerned with the teaching than the child he used and abused for the lesson. And while Christians want to just throw their hands up and say "mysterious ways", I cannot accept that as proof of love. I don't think any of us should.

August 3, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  14. Johnny

I wish I were stupid enough to fool myself into being happier via religion.

August 3, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • NOo..oON

Don't sell yourself short...

August 3, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

you don't see it as insulting to call others "stupid?" If you are too stupid to believe that's your problem, but I don't ($##@@) you for it. .. I just figure you are young and dumb

August 3, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Shall we assume you are old, stale and oblivious to current times?

August 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Atheist

I agree with you Johnny.
      "Sanity and Happyness cannot go hand-in-hand"
      It is a quote but I don't remember who said it.

August 3, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  15. Bo

______________________________________@I=rubber: Regret to hear that you have neighbor whose dog barks all night, I know how annoying that can be. I even had to put down a dog because of that problem. Yes, I believe there will come a time when humans will not hate, but not in this life. I hope you can come, you have the invitation. And I hope your neighbor does something about that annoying dog.

August 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  16. RightTurnClyde

Now here is a Christian woman who is a leader. (I knew there would be at least ONE). God working through her.

August 3, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bet she's thanking god for that mansion she bought with the dollars of the poor. What a bi-tch.

August 3, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

Did she rob them or did they give it to her? What do you imply - she ought to be des.t.i.t.u.t.e? Is she supposed to build a brick and mortar temple? What unspoken requirements do you impose? ..impossible criteria? (you just just do not want to like her??)

August 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Laughing

@RTC

You're right, and Harold Camping (you know, the guy who fleeced countless people out of millions of dollars with his endtimes mania) he's all good, I mean he's old and should he really be poor? All the money he got was given to him so he's the good guy, right?

August 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  17. Civiloutside

At first, I was inclined to take her as sincere if misguided. But then I noticed that she's not the minister of a church, but rather the "Chief Spiritual Officer" of something called "Jacquie Hood Ministries." Seems to suggest that it's all about her.

August 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • NOo..oON

Not true.... it's also about her money.

August 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • HeavenSent

and about taking your money.

August 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  18. Bo

______________________________________@I=rubber: Soory to hear that you have neighbor whose dog barks all night, I know how annoying that can be. I even had to put down a dog because of that problem. Yes, I believe there will come a time when humans will not hate, but not in this life. I hope you can come, you have the invitation. And I hope your neighbor does something about that annoying dog.

August 3, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Johnny

...you killed a dog because it was barking? Typical Christian.

August 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God told him to kill it.

August 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Andy

Typical atheist. If there such a thing as an atheist, then you believe that there is no God. If that is true then there must be no right or wrong either. If that is true, then putting a dog down doesnt really mean anything now does it? Its not right or wrong. But, if you believe that there is RIGHT and there is WRONG, then you must believe that there is some kind of moral law. If you believe in moral law then there must be a moral law giver. Therefore, the question of Gods' existence self-destructs. There are too many atheists toting that kind of hatred that many people on this comment board are carrying. You all can show it in your posts. Unless we believe what you believe, then we are called inconsiderate, stupid, and hateful; all of the while you display the characteristics yourselves- hypocritical.

August 3, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • I = rubber, U = glue

@Andy

I don't see how the existence of "Right and Wrong" proves a God. You say that morals come from a moral law giver and I assume you mean god is the only law giver.

I would disagree in that it is human nature to have a set of morals and Society is the moral law giver. This is because "Right and Wrong" has changed over time and is different depending on where you are in the world. For example, It used to be "Right" to have slaves in the US. Currently, it is "Wrong" to smoke marijuanna in the US but is "Right" in Amsterdam.

How do you explain foreign nations establishing "Right and Wrong" (ie federal laws) without the belief in a Christian god?

August 3, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Laughing

@Andy

You presuppose a lot for someone who clearly has no idea what he's talking about. Where exactly is the moral law giver you speak of? All you have to go off of is a book saying it's totally cool to sell your kids into slavery, kill them if they give you lip, beat a slave to within an inch of his life, ect...., yeah I think I would rather follow my own internal moral compass.

August 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • ummm

Laughing don't forget too that if Andy has a daughter and she gets ra*ped then she has to marry her ra*pist. Yeah...that's really moral and just....NOT.

August 3, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  19. Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Zombie is a term used to denote an animated corpse brought back to life by mystical means.
    --------
    Praise Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Bas tard - a person born of unmarried parents; an illegitimate child.
      ----
      Mary was no fool to convince her husband that god r a p ed her. Praise Jesus!!!!!!!!!

August 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Lycidas

Actually you are wrong..again. Zombies are not "alive". They are still dead. You might actually do a little bit of research to mix into your random hate.

August 3, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • George

As a dog returns to its vomit,
      so a fool repeats his foolishness.

August 3, 2011 at 1:59 pm |

Lycidas

Assuming a man rose from the the dead...."alive" is a matter of opinion/perspective.

August 3, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • NOo..oON

A dog will bark at nothing
      so a George will speak about nothing

August 3, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Lycidas

"...."alive" is a matter of opinion/perspective."

Not really..but keep telling yourself that.

August 3, 2011 at 2:08 pm |

Lycidas

"...."alive" is a matter of opinion/perspective."

Not really..but keep telling yourself that.
      ----------------
      Denial does not change that that whether jesus was "alive" after rising the dead or a zombie is a matter of opinion/perspective. It can be seen both ways. You are starting to disappoint me because I thought you were smarter than that. I accept your denial of the obvious that I am correct.

August 3, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • George

@ NOo...

I choose not answer the foolish arguments of fools.

August 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • NOo..oON

@George,
      That sounds like an appropriate answer.

Better to be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt. ~someone

"...anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell." ~Matt 5:22

August 3, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • George

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

August 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Lycidas

@ACTS- Your lack luster opinion on me does little to show that you just don't know what you were talking about with your zombie reference. I worry because you can't just admit you were wrong with your co.mparisson between Jesus who was depicted as "alive" and that of a zombie which is always shown as "dead".

Again...go look up some pop culture references like Night of the Living Dead or The Walking Dead. You will see their is nothing "alive" about them. But who knows...maybe you won't.

August 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Laughing

@lycidas

If I may, although in its inception, zombie mythology focused solely on the living dead, however with the additions to zombie myth, zombies can now be alive or dead depending on the movie or show you are watching, really as long as it's a mob of people who have lost their humanity and are cannibals are considered zombies at this point. If you watch I Am Legend it blurs the line between zombie and vampire, but the creatures are still very much alive and can be saved. The zombies in 28 days later are also alive and infected the rage virus, but do not die and become reanimated.

August 3, 2011 at 3:19 pm |

Lycidas

----------

August 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • Lycidas

ah..but Artist isn't focused on the modern look at zombies but the older view of them. You can see that from his pitiful writings. The truth is...Artist picked a bad co.mparisson that he thought was clever when it really wasn't.

August 3, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Lycidas

"Because jesus was "depicted" as alive does not mean he/it was "alive". Hearsay? As for "zombies" they were around before pop culture. Sorry but I see jesus as a potential zombie."

You are more than welcome to you uneducated opinion Artist. Obviously the definition of resurrection escapes you. Maybe the nytimes can have something for you to copy/paste like you do with your mental order stuff 😉

August 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm |

Lycidas

Obviously the definition of resurrection escapes you.
      You assume I don't. I just don't see a reason to accept it as truth. We have a guy who rose from the dead. We have some men say he was resurrected. I question that and think of the possibility we are dealing with a zombie. If gods can exist, zombies can to.

August 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Laughing

@Lycidas

Other than the explanation of what comprises a zombie in this day and age, the age old concept of jesus being a zombie still holds true. He did die on the cross, and every christian knows the jesus died for our sins. So the fact that he was up and walking around again 3 days after his death makes him part of the living dead. It fits no matter how you slice it

August 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Lycidas

"I just don't see a reason to accept it as truth."

Fair enough Artist. There is no problem with that. But applying your own definition to a well known term is very foolish indeed. No better than those calling atheism a religion...correct?

August 3, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Lycidas

"It fits no matter how you slice it"

Not really....a zombie is still decomposing....why? It's dead.
      Unless someone can show me differently...to be resurrected means you are not dead but you are living.

I have to laugh sometimes at the strange avenues our conversations go..lol. Maybe this could be a new CNN topic.

August 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Laughing

@Lycidas,

I would be ecstatic if they had an article on zombies in the belief blog. I consider myself very learned in zombie and vampire lore so I think I could hold my own.

As per your comment, it really depends on the zombie definition you use and how rigid that is. Does a zombie HAVE to be decomposing in order to be a zombie? No, zombie's are called "the living dead" which in the name points out that they are living after death.....like our friend jesus did. Ressurection means you're being brough back to life, however in order to be resurrected you have to die first. It's a fact that jesus died. And, like ressurection, jesus proved that not only can he ressurect (become a zombie) but he can also ressurect other people (make them into zombies). Jesus does indeed fit the basic definition of a zombie, I think you just reject the notion because of the stigma attached to the word zombie isn't normally something you hear when you think of jesus, which is why atheists and non-christians in general like to call jesus a zombie, it makes him more mythical than divine.

August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Lycidas

"zombie's are called "the living dead""

Yes...but "living" isn't what they are...it is what they appear. If a zombie was shuffling by and some wise guy dumped a 100 gallons of bright red paint on it...it could be called the red dead.

Living describes it's appearance but not what it is....which is...dead. This is different from Jesus who is not described as appearing to be alive...but is alive.

August 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm |

Lycidas

"zombie's are called "the living dead""

--------
      Thank you.....he is described. It was their perception that he was alive. For the sake of this discussion. Jesus was dead one day then seen walking a few days later. The question is was he truly "alive" or could he have been a zombie? Could the men have been fooled? Satan does fool people. How do we know jesus's body wasn't occupied by a demon of sorts? These are legit questions. So back to my ORIGINAL point. Being seen as alive or "described" is a matter of perspective.

Here is where the doubtr comes in. He came back to life (ALIVE) however he still had his wounds one of the apostles stuck his hand near the rib cage. Stuck his hand in jesus. This does not sound alive, this sounds liek the bodyw as still dead. Think about it.

August 3, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Lycidas

"He came back to life (ALIVE) however he still had his wounds one of the apostles stuck his hand near the rib cage. Stuck his hand in jesus. This does not sound alive, this sounds liek the bodyw as still dead. Think about it."

You do realize having wounds does not equal being dead right? Think about it.

Also...unlike "zombies" that you seem to be referencing...Jesus does not show any co.mparisson to them. Of course any reference brought up from the Bible will be instantly dismissed by you if it makes your brain hurt to counter it. So let's just leave that alone.

August 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm |

Lycidas

You do realize having wounds does not equal being dead right? Think about it.

------

August 8, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Lycidas

"So we should only use one source in an attempt to understand? I find it hard to accept that a god can bring someone back from the dead but yet they still have a gaping hole in their side???? So much for that new heavenly body. Sorry but jesus does fit the general description of a zombie. He was an animated body with gaping wounds, which does make since when you think of him as a zombie."

Of course not and no one is. The Gospels are four separate books. You do realize that the Bible isn't a signular book but a collection of texts right?

"Gaping hole"? Kind of va.gue terminology there. I don't think you are going to find "gaping hole" in any text.

No matter how many times you say it....it doesn't make the terminology true. You offer nothing new and you can't let this go. Nothing in the text implies anything other than that Jesus was alive. Not appearing to be alive...but alive. But if you still want to foolishly use a term formed/defined after 1968 to apply to a person 2000 years ago...knock yourself out.

August 8, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  20. test post

test (sorry to intrude, but my posts/replies are not showing up - yes, have checked for filtered ones)

August 3, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • test post

Ah, found it! Apparently, the "Awaiting Moderation" tag does not show up anymore - the post just disappears.

August 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Civiloutside

Perhaps that's CNN's subtle way of admitting that "awaiting moderation" really means "your post will never, ever, be reviewed by anyone."

August 3, 2011 at 1:45 pm |