home
RSS
August 3rd, 2011

My Take: How I turned 'misery to ministry'

By Jacquie Hood Martin, Special to CNN

Editor’s note: Jacquie Hood Martin is Chief Spiritual Officer for Jacquie Hood Ministries and author of “Fulfilled, The Art and Joy of Balanced Living.” She is married to CNN contributor Roland Martin. The CNN Red Chair Interview weekly franchise strives to look at people’s past to see what made them who they are today. We also want to know their biggest pivotal and “aha” moments in their lives.

(CNN) – It’s true what they say, that hindsight is 20-20. Looking back provides me with the clarity and ability to address the many things that have happened in my life.

Many people will say there are no bad experiences, that it’s our perspective on the things that happen in our lives that cause us to label them good or bad. I believe that is an improper analysis.

I have been able to find the silver lining in all the things that have happened to me, but only because the love I know the Lord has for me lets me be in God’s grace and keeps me well adjusted.

I grew up initially in a single parent home where my mother and I were raised by her grandmother. God’s favor allowed my mother to meet a man who married her and her 2-year-old daughter. Yes, it was a package deal.

My first sibling, a sister, was born when I was 8. A second sister arrived when I was 10. We became a party of five who lived the American dream. My parents owned a car and a home and were both employed. We even had pets: a dog, cat and a turtle. I include this because I marvel at people who say this kind of life did not exist for African-Americans before the Huxtables. I was born in 1965, and by 1975 things were looking pretty good.

In 1976, as a fifth grader, I had my first experience with personal tragedy. A teenage boy abducted me, held me against my will and tried to sexually assault me. Many things go through a tween girl’s mind after such an encounter. It has a way of shaping your outlook on men and relationships, as well as a yearning to give back to the community so you can save someone else’s child - even if you were unable to save yourself.

I kept this to myself until the summer of 1992. I was preparing for the ministry, and the process of purging my past allowed me to reveal to my mother what happened that horrible day in fifth grade. I have since taken the opportunity, as some would say, to turn my “misery into a ministry.” Whether on radio or television, in columns or books, I find comfort in knowing that whatever I have experienced can help others live again.

During my time in the Red Chair, I grew even more as a woman, a leader, a Christian, a wife and a writer. The Red Chair interview has provided me with greater clarity on my life’s purpose, and how I have been able to balance my life without losing faith in myself and in others.

In my column for Hope for Women magazine, I share in detail “How to Heal After the Reveal.” There will be moments in every person’s life where they will wake up from their nightmare, stupor, stupidity, trauma, haze, or whatever self-induced coma-like state they find themselves in. And I hope my words, my ‘Red Chair’ moment, can help bring them back to sanity and safety among the rest of the human race.

Next week in CNN's Red Chair: TLC’s “The Little Couple,” Jen Arnold and Bill Klein

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Faith • God • Sex abuse

1. hippypoet

@ BEAUTY... Just wondering, with the complexity of the human body, Earth, and the whole universe, how exactly can you not believe in God?.... LOL THATS SO sad, let me just recap here for a moment!!! your beyond dumb and can't understand a thing around you, therefore there must be a dude who controls it all? LOL i couldn't have said better myself!

August 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Ryan

hahahahahhaahahahha. That's exactly right. Because something is complex...well it MUST be a magical being! GFY

August 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  2. Heisalive

Amen

August 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • The Prophet of the FSM

He is alive, and quite saucy!

RAmen

August 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  3. Atheist

Think for a moment, if you were to believe that free will didn't exist, if we were all just products of our surroundings and responded to them in our best interest, would you continue to believe there is a god?
    Because I say there is no free will, all we are as humans are just chemical reactions in the brain that respond to sensory inputs which lead to different outputs.
    If you change the chemistry in the brain slightly you can change the way a person acts no matter what they believe in. If this is true then there is no soul.
    no free will, no soul, no afterlife, no god.
    This is logic and science, you don't have to have faith in this.

August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

Sorry, but your argument fails. There is free will. The sentient mind can choose. Chemical reactions are the result, not the cause of free thought.

You have much to learn yet, grasshopper.

August 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • JF

A lot of scientists/psychologists disagree with you there Bill or should I say Master Po?

August 3, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Atheist

Bill, if what you said was true then anti-depression pills wouldn't work, alcohol would do nothing, no drugs would alter your state of mind. What these drugs do is alter the chemical balance in the brain and change the way you think.

sooo... I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one buddy.

August 3, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • J.W

I have drank before and taken anti-depressants but I was still in control. They change how you feel not necessarily what you do.

August 3, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
    • Atheist

But your actions will change based on how you feel. You think you were always in control but in reality you were just responding based on the chemicals in your brain at the time.
      I always laugh at the depression commercials when they say it's a chemical imbalance in the brain... DUH! so is happiness. Trust me, your whole personality is just chemical reactions and electrical impulses in the brain, drugs just tweek it a little so it feels better

August 3, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  4. TRUTH, GET OVER IT

if anyone would like to talk religion... i have a fossil and i'm not afraid to use it!

August 3, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Laughing

god planted it there to confuse you, DUH!!!!

and to all your other questions, responses, rebuttles and general inquireies......god did it.

August 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • William Demuth

You have the fossilized Jesus himself?

I can get you on Ricky Lake and the PTL club if you do!

August 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • TRUTH, GET OVER IT

nope, no jesus...that dude was fake! instead i have a fossil of santa's foot, cause he's real!

August 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  5. JMV

This is an easy one. Christianity is very far from Jesus real teachings. Read what he said in Matthews 6:19-21, 24, self explantory.

19 “Stop storing up for yourselves treasures upon the earth, where moth and rust consume, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 Rather, store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust consumes, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

24 “No one can slave for two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stick to the one and despise the other. YOU cannot slave for God and for Riches.

August 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  6. hippypoet

i am very glad to hear that a person in so much pain made it out safe.. its makes me so sad however that the person fell into another ditch of lies and hatred! religion never made anyone happy, it just lied to them for a smile for now... be truthful with yourself, face your "DEMONS" and be better for it. don't lay your sad little life on "gods" feet cause its too much for you to bare. GROW UP. this whole idea that god saves only shows the power of people to believe whatever and get over whatever...so you have no need for a one of the fav five god (flaming bush) with a foot fetish ( no sandles please) . . . the childish concept of "BE GOOD AND YOU GET AN AFTERLIFE" well thats just sad and a bit sickening to believe that some adults still believe in god... one could ask if santa ever saved them from a life crisis! its all make believe, your strenght lies inside you and only you can access it.

August 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Andy

This is not what christianity is at all, sir. Please refer to prior posts. Good day.

August 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • William Demuth

Andy

Christianity is a starving child being buggered by a represenative of your imaginary sky freind.

August 3, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Beauty

Just wondering, with the complexity of the human body, Earth, and the whole universe, how exactly can you not believe in God? I think it's even dumber for someone to believe that everything came to be from an explosion. No way a "Big Bang" could have created all of us and everything in this world. I dare you to actually try God and see if He's real. As a matter of fact, ask Him to show you is He's real by a simple test, like not allowing you to live to see another day if He is real. No reason to be afraid of that test since you claim He's not real, right?

August 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Barnacle Bill

Beauty...

You are delusional, at best.

August 3, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Ryan

Beauty-

Please stop. That is embarrassing that you actually think as you do.

August 3, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  7. Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

Why don't people give themselves more credit. YOU turned your misery around NOT a wizard in the sky. YOU did it.

August 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • Lycidas

"wizard in the sky"

What are you talking about?

August 3, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • jonathan

no one that I know of claims a wizard in the sky..but Christ indwells us by the Holy Spirit who descends from heaven which is far above the sky..out of your sight..With Christ in us we have the distinct advantage of having assurance within us to let us know and find our way in life by the wisdom of God Himself 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • hippypoet

jonathan... i'm sure the pope would gladly be inside you!

August 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Peace2All

@jonathan

I think what @Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE is (basically) suggesting is... take credit yourself for your success and failings.

Whether you 'believe' in a 'sky wizard' 'Christ' etc... really doesn't matter, as all of that is unverified speculation that may or may not be true.

What 'is' undeniable is your own 'personal power' which means your ability to act, take responsibility for your own life and all that you create, and how you respond to people, events and situations.

Good luck -jonathan.

Respectfully,

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  8. hippypoet

there is no god, no gods...get over it

August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • He is Lord

You will meet Him when you die whether you want to or not. I hope you learn more about Him. I pray for your soul

August 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • hippypoet

pray for yourself, you clearly lack intelligence. i'll be fine, thanks for the thought!

August 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • William Demuth

Lord

I don't need your stinking prayers!!

Get therapy!

August 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Peace2All

@He is Lord

You Said: " You will meet Him when you die whether you want to or not. "

Ya' know, that really may or *may not* be true.

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • jonathan

There is God and he dwells in me..By Him I get over all the time in all things... 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Spiffy

There is someone inside you telling you what to do? You should seek help.

August 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • herbert juarez

there is no spiffy... get over it

August 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
  9. William Demuth

This article is living proof of the power of indoctrination. It has bugged me so much I shall do something I rarely do, which is to post something a second time. I would REALLY love someone to explain this to me.

Why does this woman, who is descended from slaves, still kneeling at the altar of a God that was of her slave masters creation.

It seems ANYONE can be turned to Christianity, and the process is simple.

Kidnap someone, move them to a foreign land. Beat the, impregnate them, deny them education, buy and sell them like cattle, alst the while indoctrinating them, and within a few generations their offspring will be Christian!

She is STILL a slave and apparently always shall be. It seems that the Gods of her ancestors can be erased, and people can be made to kneel to ANYTHING if the indoctrinator is ruthless enough.

A captive audience for a few generations and the average human will worship whatever they are told to worship.

August 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • jonathan

You are right anyone can turn to Christ...that's the deal he made for all humanity.. 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • William Demuth

Jonathan you are either a simpleton or a lunatic.
      My post CLEARLY indicates religion is a poison that destroys generations of peoples minds.

August 3, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • o.k.

William,

How does one respond to someone who has such disdain for anyone believing in God (let alone the Christian understanding of who God is) with any ounce of belief that you really want your question answered. My take is that your not actually inquiring so much as your venting because the world we live in isn't the fantasy land you would expect from a loving god worth our time and devotion.

I will simply say that it is clear that you do not understand the nature of the God. (I won't suggest that I fully–or even could fully–understand His nature.) It was not God's plan that we live in a broken world–we chose that when we sinned (and continue to choose a broken world when we continue to sin). He's simply letting us live out the world we chose. That's not to suggest, however that He's hands off or that He doesn't care. Moreover, His perspective (an eternal one) is much different than our limited, here-and-now perspective. What happens here, on this world, matters to us, just as I'm sure it mattes to God. But he can see the big picture much better than we can. What you see as problem (your example–slavery, others might cite to cancer or hurricanes), may be seen by Him as an opportunity by Him to bring out something great in someone else.

Go in peace.

You seem to believe that if God existed, he would only allow good things to happen to us. Therefore, anything bad that ever happens–slavery, natural disasters, cancer, war, etc–is proof that God (or at least a god worth our time and love) does not exist. Your fundamental flaw is that you do not understand who He is, and for that matter, why he created us.

August 3, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • William Demuth

o.k.

What he is? He is a figment of your imagination that you and others like you use to ratinalize bigotry hatred persecutuon and oppression.

It is an attempt on your part to externalize responsibility for the destiny of the human race.

God is in fact the GREATEST failing of the human race, and one of our most horrific creations.

August 4, 2011 at 8:22 am |
  10. Reality

Misery to ministry to dollars using one of the great cons aka Christianity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • jonathan

only in America though... that's reality..from here in money laden America we can evangelize the whole world by the proclaiming of the gospel...which is what the new World was for... 🙂 look at the Queen of Spain for example..was it not here investment in Columbus' idea the enabled the discovery so such a place as this.. Is not her image in the contenent of Europe seen in the boundaries of Spain and Portugal.... I betchu you had no idea that those two nations boundary's are in such Holy Order 🙂

August 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  11. Hesalive

@Spiffy: you're also condemned to h e l l for rejecting God's son. You don't have to go there, though. He forgives every sin, up until the moment you die. Don't mess with Him-the stakes are very high.

August 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Reality

The New Testament has only one major atrocity, that of god committing filicide assuming you believe in this Christian mumbo jumbo. Said atrocity should be enough to vitiate all of Christianity.

August 3, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Spiffy

I reject Jesus.

If God is all knowing that when creating me he created me knowing that I would become an Atheist. Why would a loving God create someone for the sole purpose of sending them to hell?

August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • herbert juarez

there is no need to be concerned for spiffy, spiffy does not exist,he appears merely as words on a page ,no evidence of existence whatsoever, do not be sucked into the "spiffy" con.

August 3, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Rick

Hesalive: How you expect that people can fear retaliation from beings in which they do not believe? Personally, I am not concerned in the least about your empty proxy threats.

August 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Spiffy

herbert juarez does not exist. He appears only as words. There is no way to prove his existence.

August 3, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • herbert juarez

trying to divert attention away from the non existence of spiffy should be the first warning sign.
      to all who believe in spiffy ..spiffy does not exist...because a failed attempt to divert attention is not evidence of a spiffy

August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • William Demuth

Spiffy

Juarez is real, thats the place you go when you want to bugger kids in Mexico whils smoking crack, droping meth and killing your fellow Christians.

August 3, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Nonimus

Just curious, but why "up until you die?" Why can't we decide after we meet the guy(s)?

August 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • herbert juarez

@williamdemuth
      i am vulgar therefore i am.
      as long as your head is so far up your colon ,check yourself for polyps,it might save your life.

August 5, 2011 at 6:14 am |
  12. Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Okay for clarity, is this definition wrong? Perhaps my source was incorrect?
    Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
    As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
    • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
    • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

August 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Lycidias please point to the article which you state I cut and pasted from. I am interested to see it.

August 3, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Lycidas

Just google your copy/paste and you'll see it pretty quick.

As for the definition...I never said once that the definition was incorrect. I merely pointed out that you do not have the medical background to apply that definition upon anyone.

August 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Lycidas

Just google your copy/paste and you'll see it pretty quick.

------

Ah located the article down the page. However this is not where I got it from. Not even close to a copy cut and paste??? If I copy from an article I put quotes around it. It is a general definition. As for applying it, I can apply however I see fit. If the shoe fits, people will wear it or try it on.

August 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Lycidas

Sure you can....and you can be just like those you make fun of on here. Talking about things they do not really understand and hoping you are right.

August 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm |
  13. Ron G.

@meat puppet; Who are you and what is your contribution to society? Unless you know this woman personally, you are totally out of line judging her motives in life.

August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Meat Puppet

Ronnie G
      this is not about the Meat Puppet – it is about a person who is scamming anyone who listens to her
      she is leveraging other folks misery
      just do a Google search on her and her organziation
      as for my contribution to society – my employees and I fund and support two food kitchens on weekends for disadvantaged youth if you were able to master the use of tools we would invite you to join us – go phuck yourself

August 3, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  14. William Demuth

why

Why why? Let me tell you why.

The Bible is a book of lies, written by charlatans with an agenda, and it has been used for centuries as a means to oppress innocent people, ratinoalize bigotry, justify wars, and as a hiding place for false prophets who bugger little boys and defraud little old ladies.

August 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Hesalive

Thank you, Satan, for your appraisal of the Gospel.

August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Hesalive

But we're emphatically not playing make believe. Au contraire: you'd have to be in utter and total denial to not acknowledge God almighty.
      -------
      Zues????????

August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • TheyNotHim

I agree with him. Does that mean there are two Satans? I am guessing god did not plan for that little plot twist eh?

August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • He is Lord

I think you need to read the bible before you start judging it.

August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Peace2All

@He is Lord

I could be wrong here, but i'm guessin' that @Willy D. has most likely read the bible, among 'many' other books, as most of us atheist/agnostics have.

It is most often because we have read the bible and other so-called books from a deity, coupled with the fact of the often bizarre and insane behaviors of some believers that gives us a really good perspective from which to "judge" your beliefs and books.

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • William Demuth

He is Lord (He is a Labrador)

I have read the bible far longer and more often than you.

I suggest you grow as a human before spouting nonesense.

August 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • FSM4LIFE

I also agree with William, so there are now at least THREE Satans. This is sort of like those "I'm Tiger Woods" Nike commercials back in the day. 'I'm Satan."

August 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  15. Ben

A very sad story with a tremendous amount of pain and anguish turned positive.....doesn't change the fact that this is simply adults playing make believe to the point that wishes become full on beliefs

August 3, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Hesalive

August 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
  16. MDMCCLE

TO ATHEIST: Consider: You may say" I breathe air and I live, although I don't know where the air comes from or who provides it." So you may deny that the air you breathe comes from God, but that doesn't stop you from breathing; just as denying his existence will not stop you from suffering the consequences of non-belief.(if you continue in it: I pray that you won't!!) if you do not give God credit for his mighty works and excellent greatness then by default you choose"incredible explanations".

August 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • Laughing

Actually, I most certainly do know where the air comes from. It's made by the trees after being converted from CO2 that I breathed out of my body, it's a pretty neat cycle and works out pretty well for both me and the trees, don't think I intend on praying to the trees anytime soon though. If you really want to get a little more specific, the gases found on earth all came from the sun when we all first formed.

Then again, go on believing your lies, please just keep your ignorance to yourself though, that's all we ask.

August 3, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Spiffy

Actually I do know where air comes from. I didn't need a two thousand year old book to tell me either. BTW has telling people that they are going to hell ever worked as conversion tactic?

Anyway why would God send me to hell? If God made me then he would know how I would turn out. So basically by making me the way I am you are arguing that God's creation is imperfect. Sounds like someone is going to hell. Oh wait...

August 3, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Hesalive

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil (John 3:19).

August 3, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • hahaha

Elements (O, C) are made in stars, ie gravity. It is not as emotionally appealing to pray to gravity, therefore small minded people pray to a fairy.

August 3, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • ummm

"God credit for his mighty works and excellent greatness"

here you go....in all his greatness!

Ten deadliest natural disasters of the past century
      1931 China floods
      Black Death
      Spanish Flu
      Plague of Justinian
      Third Pandemic of Bubonic Plague
      Antonine Plague
      Asian Flu
      Other deadly communicable diseases. Death counts are historical totals unless indicated otherwise.
      Disease

August 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

@ummm: awesome list.

August 3, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Andy

@ ummmm

Thats an impressive list. What evidence links it to God?

August 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Laughing

@ Andy

Prove god didn't do it........

August 3, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • ummmm

"Thats an impressive list. What evidence links it to God?"

So your god isn't all knowing all powerful creator of all? LOL!

August 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
  17. Hesalive

Why we know the Risen King of Kings and others don't is, in fact, a mystery, but we definitely know Him. He'll accept any sinner willing to repent of their sins and follow Him forever, but pride separates you from your Savior. Some folks are unwilling to admit how sinful they are, and their desperate need for a Savior. Reject Him in this life, however, and He'll reject you in the next one.

August 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Spiffy

Sounds like someone hasn't read their bible and is instead spewing Christian crap. It is funny that Atheists seem to know more about the bible then Christians do. Anyway apparently you can not be forgiven for every sin. And before you read this I would like to say I deny the holy spirit.

"This is the Son of God. This is God." And they were saying, "He is not God! He is Satan's agent." Then Jesus said, "Every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.... Whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come" (Matthew 12:31-32).

August 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Hesalive

Regards,

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Redeemed

Amen.

August 3, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • Reality

o Reiteration is great for the learning process. As is reading and rational thinking followed by conclusions based on all of it.

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospels being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European, white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

August 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Lacking Evidence since 14 Billion BCE

ah yes, the Great Get Out of Jail Free card. Molest a child it's ok, you'll be allowed into heaven if you believe in jesus. Kill a bunch of people, it's ok, jesus will forgive you. Cure cancer, aids and predict earth quakes but don't believe in zombie man, it's hell for you.

August 3, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Andy

@Peace

Your question was " O.K... What does it mean 'exactly' when you say... "you 'know' him"...? How specifically is that...? Without claiming a 'feeling' or more 'bible verses' I'm curious to hear this." (note: I just posted it so I could see it as well)

It all comes down to "belief". What is it to believe? Well, we cant use this from an American standpoint because the Bible was originally written in Greek. So we would need a Greek scholar to translate what it meant to them, instead of an American interpretation. Honestly, to be short, to believe is that our daily lived out life is to look like Christ. When Christ came to the nation of Israel, he said repent and believe the gospel. Repentance is not walking to altar, its not crying, its not even asking for forgiveness. Repentance is turning away from the thing that you were doing before that was breaking the very heart of God. Anyone can say that they believe but what evidence do they give for their belief? Jesus tells us that few that profess his name(this means a person who would emphatically say that they are Christian) few of those will enter into the kingdom of heaven. Belief is the changing of ones self to conform to the character of Christ. Note: Not every person who says that they are christian does this, this is how you can discern a christian from a non-christian. Belief is then succeeded by the complete trusting in the propitiation of Christ for yourself. I hope this sheds some light!

August 3, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • He is Lord

Hey spiffy. You obviously do not get the context of the verse you quoted from the Bible. You need to study the bible and not just read it. Blasphemy against the Holy spirit is not following the call from God to repent of your sins. Any man can be saved if they seek the Lord.

August 3, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Andy

Hey -Andy...

First, thanks for your taking the time to shed some light on my question to -Hesalive. I do appreciate it. And, second, no problem with re-posting my post for viewing... almost all of us do it so we can comment on the person's post.

So, if I am understanding you... my question to -Hesalive was how do you "know him" ?

So, to "know him" is to make sure that your "daily lived out life is to look like Christ." With this said, given that Christ was about love, peace, kindness, charity, humility etc... isn't it true then that you 'don't' have to be a Christian to live with these character qualities...?

I mean, I know many people of different faiths, and even agnostics and atheists who live by these 'character traits.'

My point is that these character traits are not unique only to the Christ character as written in the bible, nor to Christians.

Thoughts on this...?

Respectfully,

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  18. Kebos

*True* leaders in the community, or the national or international scene, do so without the crutch of a god. By claiming she has done these things with the help of a god and as a Christian alienates many people. Helping people....good. Doing so while trying to indoctrinate them into her religion.....bad.

August 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Hesalive

For those of us blessed to know God's risen Son, we're forever grateful for the privilege. What about you? Where will you spend eternity? God loves you and calls you to Himself, every day. He's seen you at your worst but is not surprised. He's willing to forgive you for every sin, but you have to ask Him.

August 3, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • a

well said kebos

August 3, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Hesalive

Did you just miss the whole point of @Kebos' post ...?

As far as getting into the "Where will you spend eternity ?" propaganda thread, before ya' go down that road, let's just say that you have 'no idea' yourself.

Regards,

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Hesalive

-----
      Oh my god you talked directly to god. That must have been amazing.

August 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • SprytSista

It is so sad that you feel that way. so sad.
      A true leader knows that she didn't get that way by herself.
      A true leader is wise and humble enough to acknowledge that.
      Nobody got anywhere by soley his or hero own work.
      And if you think that, sorry, but that is really foolish.

How do you even think you came into this world?

August 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • FSM4LIFE

@ SprytSista,

It is so sad when people refuse to take personal responsibility.
      A true leader knows that she worked hard to get to that level of accomplishment.
      A true leader is wise and humble enough to acknowledge the HUMANS that helped her along the way.
      If you think that the sky fairy is responsible for all of your triumphs and failures, sorry, but that is really foolish.

My dad dropped a load into my mom, and 9 months later, I came into this world. Pretty simple, actually.

August 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
  19. Dev

Interesting article.. one thing that I liked about it is the "the silver lining in all things that have happened to me". Most of us just can think / predict what we know might happen in the foreseable future but not the whole picture / future. God knows whats good for you overall as he sees the big picture. What may be bad for you now may not be bad for you 5, 10 or 20 years down the line. May be God is toning you to face a better future..

August 3, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Dev

You Said: " God knows whats good for you overall as he sees the big picture. What may be bad for you now may not be bad for you 5, 10 or 20 years down the line. May be God is toning you to face a better future. We can always blame the Almighty for what has gone wrong and sit and do nothing about it. But it is wise to take the initiative and go forward and do the righteous thing every single time... "

Big assumptions there, –Dev. You are assuming a Deity even exists as fact for starters. And then, assuming that said Deity, knows best, and we should just basically suck it up, because it's not God's fault is a cop-out.

I understand the concept of making the best of your life and one's situations regardless of what has or is happening. To release your will and personal power over to a God, that may or may not even exist is something that I believe often stands in the way for people to progress.

I think you may be giving -God- way too much credit here, and not moving on and doing right and good... whether there is, or 'is not' a -God.

Regards,

Peace...

August 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  20. Meat Puppet

she has crossed the line between a ministry and a cult !! please we have enough plastic minsters who think they know they way to eternal salvation
    how about a tax audit and see where things really stand? in these troubled times we need real spiritual leaders not a self absorbed, self anointed and egotistical woman sitting in a Red Chair.
    I think her God is the almighty tax free dollar granted to religious organizations – go work at a soup kitchen and help people out – what a waste of carbon and estrogen

August 3, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Hesalive

Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord.

August 3, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • ummm

"Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord."

That's called domination not love – what a sick-o.

August 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • I_get_it

He is: "Every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord."

These sound more like the demanding words of your egomaniacal "Satan" character...

August 3, 2011 at 4:20 pm |