home
RSS
August 4th, 2011

Bull riding for Jesus

By Ken Tuohey, CNN

Carroll County, Maryland (CNN) -Jon Bisset, who is one part cowboy and one part Christian missionary, is the owner of River Valley Ranch in Carroll County, Maryland.

It is a family business. Bisset's grandfather started the ranch after immigrating to the United States from Scotland in the 1920s, he said.

"He always had a fondness for the American cowboy, and he was a minister down in Baltimore city," Bisset said. "He saw a lot of kids getting in trouble during the summer time and thought this might be an opportunity to reach out to the kids of Baltimore city in a unique way."

So his grandfather started RVR, the first dude ranch on the East Coast, reaching out with the gospel to kids who ordinarily wouldn't step foot in a church, Bisset said.

His grandfather's legacy continues today at the ranch, where they offer a Christian-themed summer camp, rodeos, horseback riding and even bull riding.

The ranch is not formally tied to any denomination or church. On its website it calls itself an "organization in the evangelical Christian tradition." It also notes that its summer camps "present the simple message of the Gospel as found in the Bible and teach Christian values without promoting nor condemning any denomination or church."

"You won't see too many cowboys that when you call for a word of prayer, don't come around and circle up," said Matt Schock, RVR's rodeo coordinator. That could be because these cowboys are getting ready to strap themselves onto the back of a snarling three-quarter-ton horned bull that could kill them in any number of ways.

Schock takes care of the bulls on the ranch, oversees the rodeos and leads Thursday night bull riding practice sessions. He also makes sure that everyone maintains a Christian environment.

On this night, as Schock rounded the bulls up into the corrals, the cowboys prepared their gear.

Clad in denim and leather, the riders donned cowboy hats and boots, and readied their ropes like soldiers preparing for battle.

When Schock called them over to gather for a word of prayer, everyone joined in. After seeing the size of the immense bovines they were up against, it was easy to see why.

"These bulls are bred to buck," Schock said. "They weigh 16, 17 hundred pounds. You can't make them do anything they don't want to do."

One big tan bull slammed his head against the cage, knocking in the steel dividing door that kept him in his pen. Then he jumped in the air and smacked a camera before it could be pulled out of the way.

"It's the world's most dangerous sport for a reason. You get on that bull, you have a good shot at dying," Schock said.

Penned behind a gate, the bulls would charge like a derailed locomotive, showing no mercy as their riders tried to get settled. And once the bulls were released, the riders were tossed off like rag dolls.

The cowboys would amble to their feet, brush themselves off and get ready to ride again.

"You could go out and get your head stepped on and die like that," Schock said as he snapped his fingers. "(When) you stand before the Lord and finding out where you go ... that's what's important right there."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. Name

Well, this shows how different christian beliefs can be.

August 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
  2. Name

LOL! Just read these comments. With an artical like this, the atheist extremists just have to say something. You say Christians are bad because we tell others about our faith, when in reality you are doing the same by talking about atheism. Isn't irony funny?

August 4, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Nathan

Extremsists?

To have a different point of view and to express it.. quite extreme.

OH MY.

August 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Name

Good point, sorry for my poor choice of words. But you have to admit what I said otherwise is true.

August 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Name

\ sorry for my poor choice of words. But you have to admit what I said otherwise is true.

August 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Mr Trololol

This comment is so true. He was obviously talking about people like tripp and hippypoet. For that, you deserve a song.

U MAD???

August 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • GodPot

"Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance) is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions." – Wiki

Atheist's get upset at Christian's for proselytizing. Christian claims that is ironic because he thinks that means the Atheist is proselytizing. The Christian is wrong because trying to convert someone to Christianity is quite different than expressing your opinion that Christians are wrong. It's the difference between a salesman who comes to your door and offers to sell you some "Emporer's" brand invisible clothing and your neighbor comes over and say's "Hey, this guy is trying to rip you off and sell you nothing but air!" And the salesman says "Hey! Stop trying to sell my client a different product! My Invisible clothes are the best around!" And the neighbor would reply in apparent disbelief "What? I'm not trying to sell anything! I make no profit, I am just trying to be a good neighbor!" And the sly salesman says pointing at the neighbors empty arms "Sure sure, but you are holding in your hands the same type of clothing as I am, though not the quality... Are you not trying to sell such phony finery?" Again the neighbor declares exasperatingly "But i'm not holding anything!" And it goes on like this, back and forth, till the neighbor is blue in the face and decides it's not worth continuing and goes home while the unphased salesman wraps up another sale.

August 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Kyle

Godpot,

You are just wrong there buddy. For your analogy to be valid you must assume that an Athiest stands for nothing. That is not the case. An athiest believes that there is no God. That all religions are phony. The athiest salesman is selling a product too.

August 4, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Atheist

Most atheists are saying that we just don't want you to have your religion everywhere (in the government, in our schools). We aren't trying to sell you that there is no god, we just want you to stop trying to sell us that there is.

August 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Kyle

August 4, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • GodPot

@Kyle,

I'm sorry Kyle, but im afraid you are wrong. You claim " The athiest salesman is selling a product too." What product? Who are they asking you to make the checks out to? Religion is a commodity that is bought and sold every day with billions of dollars changing hands, an atheist is a person who has sold all their stock in religion. You are just mad because you do realize you are selling invisible clothes for a profit asking even the poorest among you to hand over their last coin just for a chance to get into your exclusive club in the sky, but of course benefits are only paid after you die and it's impossible to get a refund.

August 4, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • GodPot

@Kyle – "Then why are you here on this forum? To express your beliefs? To try and convince Christians they are wrong? You are selling a product."

Belief – "Mental acceptance of and conviction in the truth, actuality, or validity of something" TheFreeDictionary.com

Religion – "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs." – Dictionary.com

I'm guessing that is why they did not call this the "Religion Blog" or the "Christian Blog" but the "Belief Blog" because atheists have a belief, but they do not have a religion.

Again, I identify you as a silly slick salesman slyly selling super secret supposed supernatural spectral soul saving for a price. Live with it.

August 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • gupsphoo

I don't see what's wrong with commenting on something ridiculous, whether I'm an atheist or not.

August 4, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  3. J.W

Some of these atheists are good at repeating the same stupid insults over and over. The probably have a list on their computer and they just copy and paste the same things repeatedly.

August 4, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • Laughing

Awww you know me

I just write

NO! SCIENCE! EVOLUTION! BIG BANG! FAIRYTALE! ZOMBIE JESUS! ect.... over and over again. Someone is bound to convert to atheism soon right?

August 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Nathan

The joke is thousands of years old and it's on you.. please continue to chaulk it up to a test of faith as the world crumbles around you as you wait, lethargic for the man in the sky to save you.

August 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Name

It is annoying, but its freedom of speech so its allowed. Just like the crazy people who go to random funerals protesting that the person is going to hell. Annoying, but allowed.

August 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • J.W

Lol yeah Laughing you know what I am talking about. And I dont think that God is a bearded man in the sky. I dont see my world crumbling around me. I am very happy. Because I know God is on my side.

August 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Laughing

@ Name

Tell me about it, I mean how annoying is it when you want to have a conversation with someone and they keep quoting a book at you as if it answers a question or even has relevance to a conversation. I mean, the NERVE of some people right?

August 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • J.W

I am not anything like Fred Phelps. Actually I dont believe that God would torture people forever, although that is not a typical Christian belief.

August 4, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • KlausVos

Some of these Christians are good at repeating the same stupid Biblical verses over and over. The probably have a list on their computer and they just copy and paste the same things repeatedly.

works both ways bro
      I can't count the number of times I've had scripture quoted at me as if it would convert me or the number of times people have said inane things like "why are there still apes if we evolved from them" or any BS about missing links or transitional fossils. Yeah, some atheists are bad at debating and spout the same BS and dogma all the time but Christians are just as guilty if not significantly more guilty. After all, they've been using the same book for over 2000 years.

August 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • J.W

Personally I rarely quote the Bible on this thing. The only time I have is when I was when someone told me the Bible says this or the Bible doesnt say that or something like that.

August 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Laughing

@J.W

you BELIEVE god is on your side, but.....semantics.

Honestly part of the reason I come to this blog is to get book reccomendations and see if there are actually some GOOD rebuttles to atheism once and a while. I can admit that occasionally someone gives me a reply that I was neither expecting and can appreciate, doesn't happen often, but it happens.

August 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
    • J.W

Actually I am not one of those Christians who normally gets upset by that sort of thing. But there have been like 20 posts that say Christians are pathetic. I mean this story is stupid but we can still act civilly with one another right?

August 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • J.W

LOL Laughing, I was kind of trying to start trouble there, but I do feel like God is on my side. Just curious, have any of the good arguments come from me?

August 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Laughing

@J.W

Haha, yeah I noticed. and yes, I sort of consider you my christian counterpart as you have provided the most respectable and honest answers to my questions without contantly feeling like I'm attacking you. However the sad part is, as you've said yourself, a lot of christians wouldn't consider you one of them because you, god forbid, believe that the bible shouldn't be taken literally and have taken steps to modernize you personal beliefs to the discoveries of the world today.

August 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • Name

The guy who posted as name above me is not me. ignore it please.

August 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • J.W

Regarding evolution, that is a topic I have had trouble with. I try to do my research though, I am sure there are things I dont understand. It is probably easier to understand than the big bang theory though LOL

August 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • J.W

I think before I was on this blog I probably believe close to the same way, but I have tried to learn more about my own beliefs, plus about science and evolution, although science isnt really one of my best subjects.

August 4, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Laughing

Honestly it can be tough, especially with the smear campaigns to try and dismiss other theories, its hard to figure out what truth exactly is. Science was never really my thing either, although astronomy is really really interesting (not the physics, planetary motion part necessarily) but the big bang is pretty simple it's the question of "why" that gets everyone tripped up. What I find interesting is how space, time and natural laws are all incredible warped when it comes to the begining of time and around certain celestial objects (like black holes). What I'm still having trouble with is what exactly is dark matter and dark energy?!

August 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • Atheist

Dark matter and Dark energy are essentially the same thing (E=mc^2), they're interchangeable. But the motion of the stars around a galaxy just doesn't make since with the amount of mass that scientists believe is in that galaxy (they only see about 10-20% I think it was). The stars all move to fast, at the speed they're moving they would not be caught in the gravitational pull of the galaxy.

Dark matter is just matter that we can't see but is definately there, we can see it's effect on the bending of light and the motion of stars but we just can't see it.

August 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • Atheist

Also, sorry for the random side topic in the article about bull riding for Jesus.
      Just thought I would pitch in what I knew about it.

August 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • J.W

Yeah the question of why it happened gets me too. And was all of the matter already there that is in the universe today? And if not wouldnt that violate the law "matter cannot be created or destroyed"? And when the first cell formed, how did the molecules randomly form all of the different parts of the cell like the nucleus and everything else? Obviously we cant go back in time and answer all of these questions for sure. Therefore some will say all of these things were able to happen naturally and others say there is a creator needed to cause these things to happen.

August 4, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Laughing

No Atheist, thanks I really am interested just still a little confused.

I mean, I can understand dark matter is just matter we can't see, but for instance is there dark matter and dark energy between jupiter and saturn? I know it's all theory anyways, but if dark energy and dark matter make up the other % of the universe that's unobservable, then why is there just so much more of it? I mean, it sounds to me like it should be in balance and yet if matter and energy only make up 20 % of the universe, then why hasn't dark matter and dark energy annihilated with matter and energy already? Or am I mixing up dark matter with anti-matter?

August 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • J.W

Atheist dont worry about it. You know that no one stays on topic in these blogs lol

August 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Atheist

well matter can be created and destroyed, that's what happens in an atom bomb. A few atoms are destroyed and create energy. You can also create matter, which is what they do at particle colliders, with enough energy, particles are created. If the mass of a particle is m, you can created the particle out of nothing by putting E=mc^2 energy into one spot.

About the cells, some molecules on Earth will allign in a circle because of some reasons that I can't seem to remember right now and if they happen to allign in a circle around another molecule that uses what they secrete to make energy then there you have a cell. I went over it a few years ago with a biology teacher but I can't seem to remember it all now... I'd help more if I could.

August 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Atheist

I think you're mixing up dark matter and anti-matter. Dark matter can be anything, planets are dark matter because they don't light up enough for us to see them. Neutron stars (as close as you can get to a black hole without actually making out) are dark matter. So it is possible that most the mass in the universe is just black holes, dark stars, big planets, and huge asteriods. We just can't see it because it's not lit up

August 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • J.W

That is interesting atheist. I have seen sources online that kind of explain the first cells forming, but I couldnt find anything with much detail. And I have seen it say that the cells formed because of the Earth being much hotter in the beginning, so there was more energy. But I would think that if it were that hot any organic material would disintegrate. And what caused the single-celled organisms to form multi-cell organisms, and for organisms to become more complex. I probably just have alot of research to do.

August 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Atheist

Yea, I would just say do some research and talk to people who knew more about it.
      Most of the stuff that make up a cell were out there already, just created because of the environment but not alive in any sense of the word.

But with the heat and the earthquakes that were very common when the earth first formed, it's no surprise that the parts that make up the cell wall (the ones that tend to get together in a circle) could have come together around a few of these other pieces and started almost a symbiotic relationship so they could get enough energy to make two of them.

And as for multicell organisms forming, it's always easier to survive in groups than it is alone. What's true now about survival was true then. If you have 5 cells working together, it's easier to get the energy to make a 6th cell

August 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Laughing

Boy do I feel dumb, I thought energy and matter is what made up planets, neutron stars and everything else and that dark matter was separate. So you're saying that matter that doesn't give off light is matter.....but does that mean matter on earth is actually dark matter?

I think I'm confusing myself more.

I know I can look it up online and try to reason it out, but it's a lot easier to bounce questions off someone and get an answer directly related instead of tracking down a suitable answer from all the data out there.

August 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • J.W

Yeah I need to take notes and write a book perhaps. That may be the only way I will prove God exists.

August 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Atheist

Essentially we are dark matter. If there were aliens circleing a star 30 Lightyears away, they wouldn't be able to see us because we are so small against the backdrop of the sun. So we are dark matter to them just as their hypothetical planet is dark matter to us.

I mispoke earlier about dark energy though. That has more to do with the expansion of the universe and how it seems to be speeding up instead of slowing down. With all the matter in the universe (including dark matter) the universe should be slowing down in it's expansion because gravity should be pulling it back together, but it's not. So dark energy is something else entirely.

And a book probably is the best way if you're going to prove there is a God. Just don't hand someone a bible with a few words changed and say you wrote it... I don't think that would go over well.. haha

August 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Laughing

@Atheist,

Good stuff, when I read a statistic saying that matter only makes up like 20% of the universe and that 80% was dark matter (I honestly could have just made that up completely but I remember its something like that) I always thought asteroids, meteors, planets, comets, ect... were all included in the matter part.

@J.W
      Atheist has a point, Jefferson wrote his bible without any reference to god and people got a little annoyed. Then again I think if you rewrote the bible, or maybe wrote a sequal you could start your own religion! Wouldn't that be neat! All you need now is a good origin story, like what made you write the new book. Did god tell you to or was it joseph smith style where you found some mystical golden tablets that got taken back after you wrote them?

August 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • J.W

I dont know though it may take someone smarter than me to make a convincing argument for the existence of God. Unless I uncovered something absolutely spectacular.

August 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • J.W

I dunno if I would completely start a new religion, but my own denomination would be cool. I would be like the next Martin Luther. We would start a mission to prove the existence of God. Each of us would have to learn about other world religions as well as study writings by famous atheists. My denomination would be awesome.

August 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Atheist

@JW
      Now that would be a religion I would support.
      Not nessecarliy fallow for obvious reasons, but support nonetheless

August 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
  4. LadyAnon

To each his/her own. In this case, everyone should just leave these people be. They're minding their own business, doing their own thing...till PETA gets wind of it.

August 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Sunny01

PETA is not the one to worry about. I support A.L.F How about we tie you up and someone ride you. Oooops.....you might like that.

August 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  5. Joe

"You can't make them (the bulls) do anything they don't want to do."

Really?! Than why are they using painful flank straps around the bull's testicles, and hot shots (electric prods) to make the bull get agitated and buck. This is not a sport it's abuse...if people inflicted this type of pain on cats and dogs it would be illegal. So what's the difference...bulls feel pain just like any other sentient being. What would Jesus do? Would he be happy to see animals suffer for entertainment? This is why it's hard take religion seriously...the bible says 'Thou Shalt Not Kill' but then their adherents kill and torture things like crazy.

August 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Kyle

You bring up a great point! I didn't know the bulls were tortured like that... Wow.

August 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • I Don't Know but Neither Do You

Amen Joe! I suggest a Christian Rodeo where the Christians are ridden...and prodded...and shocked...and spurred...

Stupid (and cruel) is as stupid does

August 4, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  6. Mark

Rednecks and christianity. "A match made in heaven."

August 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • kendc

Uneducated people + religion = bliss

August 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Name

I'm an educated christian and Its bliss for me as well.

August 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • KlausVos

@name

educated
      Christian

pick one

ok, maybe not, that's more than a bit harsh

you can still be educated, but you must not be educated in the right fields
      if you researched biology, geology, astronomy, archaeology, paleontology, radiology, or a dozen other fields, you would start questioning your faith.

August 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • kendc

Educated + religion + extreme willful ignorance = bliss

August 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Kyle

My religion professor in college was also an archaeologist. He considered himself a Christian. What are the credentials for being considered "educated"?? Oh wait, don't tell me that one can only be considered "educated" if they are an athiest.

August 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • KlausVos

@Kyle, I never suggested that
      I said that if research had been done in the proper fields, most rational people would question their faith
      I guess archaeology is bit of a stretch as it is more of a human history based field but there were civilizations more than 6000 years ago

I guess really, I should have replaced "Christian" with creationist in my post as that was closer to what I meant.

August 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Kyle

I would say that any educated person who says they never doubt that God exists at least every once in a while, is either the "ignorant Christian" all the atheists on this board are looking for, or they are just simply lying. Christianity is a faith-based religion, and there is no "faith" without the existence of doubt.

August 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  7. Lola

I think Jesus would want them to visit old people in a nursing home and feed the hungry and poor instead. What a waste of time and money.

August 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  8. Jesse

True happiness can only be found in God. No words you say against our faith affects how we feel about it. If you choose to not trust in God, atleast don't make it worse by persecuting His followers. Atleast give Him a chance in your life before you throw words like this around.

August 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Nathan

Said the sad man/woman. Find worth in your own life – not in a make believe one.

Religion – the best video game ever made.

August 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Sybaris

Most children have invisble friends but then they grow up.

August 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Atheist

Most of us have given religion a try, we just found out that the universe doesn't need a god to exist, and in fact, it may have been better off if he never showed up in someones head thousands of years ago.
      Plenty of atheists are truely happy without having any type of religion in their lives. We're on this comment board to show that it is possible.

August 4, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • KlausVos

Christians = 75-80% of the population and nearly 100% of public office holders while atheists comprise 15-20% of the population and <1% of public office holders. A startling 39.5% of people in this country do not believe that atheists fit into their view of the country (compared to 26.3% for Muslims and 22.6% for gays) and 47.6% would disapprove if their child wanted to marry an atheist.

Sorry, but Christians cannot call discrimination or persecution when as many as half of them wouldn't let their kids marry an atheist.

August 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • GodPot

If you call persecution hearing or seeing one of the few atheists in America make a claim that your God doesn't exist, what would you call it if they tried to add "God doesn't exist" to our coins, tried to get your kid's to stand still each morning at the start of class for a moment of silence in honor of Darwin or Dawkins, tried to get more tax dollars to support their work of spreading the good news that there is no God and demanded that our President must be Atheist to get elected. So who exactly is doing the persecuting? It usually isn't the minority, of which atheists are most definately here in America and worldwide. Theists on the other hand do all of the above and more, and yet they still cry "ohhh, i'm being persecuted, woe is me..."

August 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • KlausVos

@GodPot
      no atheist I have ever met would want any of those things you described
      putting god doesn't exist on coins, revering Dawkins as some sort of patron saint of atheism, and requiring the POTUS to be atheist would all violate separation of church and state and violate the peoples' of this country's rights to freedom of thought and religion
      now, taking "in god we trust" off coins I would support, but wouldn't campaign for because it's trivial, same with "Under god" in the pledge
      it would be nice, but it isn't important

August 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • KlausVos

whoops GodPot, I only read the first part and didn't see the last sentence, you can disregard the previous post.

August 4, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • Lettuce Prey

How about these so-called Christians stop abusing innocent animals? Isn't that a form of persecution?

August 4, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  9. boka

Remember that movie called Galaxy Quest starring Tim Allen. Where aliens picked up the TV show similar to star trek and thought it was real. That's christianity in nut shell. 2000 years ago there was no tv, internet or movies. They made this stuff up and 100s of years later people thought it was real. How pathetic is that people can be so gullible.

August 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • Laughing

NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER SURRENDER!

BY GRABTHOR'S HAMMER YOU SHALL BE AVENGED!

August 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Kyle

Whats pathetic is that you feel the need to spew your garbage all of this board. You dispute Christianity? Thats fine, but you should respect that other people are different from you.

August 4, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • Atheist

@ Kyle
      You say that, but how do you feel about gays or muslims? (unrelated to each other but most christians hate both)

August 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Nathan

Sharing our opinion is as justified as you smearing your religion, dare I say "garbage" all over the same comment board. 🙂

August 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  10. Jesus Was The David Koresh Of His Day

Just another underhanded attempt to fool people into joining the cult by pretending to be bull-riding instruction. Christianity remains manipulative and deceptive.

Freakish.

August 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Kyle

I'm sorry, i don't see how this is manipulative at all.

August 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • boka

What's worst is that there is no evidence that Jesus ever existed in the first place. Pathetic.

August 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Nathan

Christians.. I hope their invisible man comes soon. There won't be much to save soon the way our government is running us into the ground.

America – the greatest and quickest climaxing empire in world history.. Don't mind me – get back to the bullshi-.

August 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
  11. SurelyUjest

If one of these guys dies or gets injured riding for Jesus does it mean Jesus wanted them in heaven right away? I am certain that if some supernatural being powerful enough to be called god exists, it sure don't care if you ride, walk, talk, dress, undress, pee, kill, heal or anything else in it's name or for it to notice us.

August 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Bible Bob, Knight of Infallibbillibabbity

Oh no, that's not how it is at all ! God and Jesus are only responsible for the good things. The bad things are either Satan or the choice of the individua. People cannot do good unless God is responsible, but they can do bad.

If someone gets hurt on a bull, that's one of Satan's bulls, or God was punishing the rider for not being good even though only God is responsible for good and the rider can only choose bad because God is not responsible for bad and all that.

I know this doesn't make much sense to you atheists, but when you read the Bible over and over and over and over and over, and you try and try and try to make sense of it, it eventually stops being convoluted and everything else starts looking weird.

August 4, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  12. Armando

FYI, I saw a sign the other day "Christain Karate School" I couldn't stop laughing. I guess they teach you to beat someone half to death than you pray over the broken body.

August 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Silly comment it is so you can beat the word of Christ in to someone so they have marks that will remind them of the parables.....

August 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
  13. Whatevs

Really. Well I guess if anyone gets hurt, breaks a neck, its Jesus wish wouldn't you say. LOL

August 4, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
  14. brian

I liked Pole Dancing for Jesus better.

August 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Sean

August 4, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

Thank you!

August 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Mr Trololol

Good job on making a stupid insult that proves nothing. I couldn't have done it better myself.

U MAD???

August 4, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  15. Armando

I guess Jesus doesn't mind man tying a rope around a Bull's Nutz so it can jump and kick higher just for man's entertainment.

August 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • Sean

Why not? God has been doing it to man since the beginning of time.

August 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • Armando

True Sean but man is suppose to be smarter than animals. Maybe!

August 4, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • Righton

Where did you hear that they tie it to their...well, you know? Having personally flanked a bull, I know this not to be the case. Also, when an animal sells for $70K would you risk making it sterile? This comment shows the nature of America. Even if you know nothing about what you're commenting on, you can still be an expert b/c you heard it somewhere. "Armando" two questions. 1) Have you ever been to a rodeo? 2) Have you ever seen a bull in person? Is this an animal that you think you could tie a rope around its area?

August 4, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  16. hippypoet

o this is just too good, religious morons that are also hicks.... i wonder if the pope gets a turn to ride... i don't think he wants the bull thou, i saw a young kid in the background... pope's all sorts of smiles now!

i hope the bull kills everyone who rides it... they best not put the bull down either, there are starving folks all around the world and we are about to just kill an animal cause i lost the contest of who can ride the bull the longest.

GOD PEOPLE ARE SOOOO DUMB!

August 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Kyle

wow this is such a worthless comment.

August 4, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Mr Trololol

You sound like a moron.

August 4, 2011 at 1:57 pm |
  17. Tripp

I would "buck" to if some dumb-idiot cowboy strapped a leather rope to my testicals and tightened them up to my ears. I dont understand how people can have such utter disgust to whale hunting, seal hunting and try to have it banned but yet this so-called sport goes on? Bull riding is no different than dog fighting, or other cruel treatment of animals. I hope they get a horn through the groin.

August 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • Righton

Your comment shows a complete lack of intelligence.

August 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • Mr Trololol

What a nice comment. I think you would learn alot from christian teachings.

U MAD???

August 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  18. LouAz

Next week we're gonna tie a rope around Bissets junk and let the bull ride him. Yee Haw !

August 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
    • Mr Trololol

Wow, a bull riding a bull? What kind of rodeo is this?

August 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  19. Pete

Not as popular as Doritos ® nacho chip eating for Jesus.

August 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Mr Trololol

I like how you even copyrighted it. It makes the insult professional.

August 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  20. sardukar

Jesus riding for bull ...sounds equally ridiculous.

August 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm |