home
RSS
August 4th, 2011

Bull riding for Jesus

By Ken Tuohey, CNN

Carroll County, Maryland (CNN) -Jon Bisset, who is one part cowboy and one part Christian missionary, is the owner of River Valley Ranch in Carroll County, Maryland.

It is a family business. Bisset's grandfather started the ranch after immigrating to the United States from Scotland in the 1920s, he said.

"He always had a fondness for the American cowboy, and he was a minister down in Baltimore city," Bisset said. "He saw a lot of kids getting in trouble during the summer time and thought this might be an opportunity to reach out to the kids of Baltimore city in a unique way."

So his grandfather started RVR, the first dude ranch on the East Coast, reaching out with the gospel to kids who ordinarily wouldn't step foot in a church, Bisset said.

His grandfather's legacy continues today at the ranch, where they offer a Christian-themed summer camp, rodeos, horseback riding and even bull riding.

The ranch is not formally tied to any denomination or church. On its website it calls itself an "organization in the evangelical Christian tradition." It also notes that its summer camps "present the simple message of the Gospel as found in the Bible and teach Christian values without promoting nor condemning any denomination or church."

"You won't see too many cowboys that when you call for a word of prayer, don't come around and circle up," said Matt Schock, RVR's rodeo coordinator. That could be because these cowboys are getting ready to strap themselves onto the back of a snarling three-quarter-ton horned bull that could kill them in any number of ways.

Schock takes care of the bulls on the ranch, oversees the rodeos and leads Thursday night bull riding practice sessions. He also makes sure that everyone maintains a Christian environment.

On this night, as Schock rounded the bulls up into the corrals, the cowboys prepared their gear.

Clad in denim and leather, the riders donned cowboy hats and boots, and readied their ropes like soldiers preparing for battle.

When Schock called them over to gather for a word of prayer, everyone joined in. After seeing the size of the immense bovines they were up against, it was easy to see why.

"These bulls are bred to buck," Schock said. "They weigh 16, 17 hundred pounds. You can't make them do anything they don't want to do."

One big tan bull slammed his head against the cage, knocking in the steel dividing door that kept him in his pen. Then he jumped in the air and smacked a camera before it could be pulled out of the way.

"It's the world's most dangerous sport for a reason. You get on that bull, you have a good shot at dying," Schock said.

Penned behind a gate, the bulls would charge like a derailed locomotive, showing no mercy as their riders tried to get settled. And once the bulls were released, the riders were tossed off like rag dolls.

The cowboys would amble to their feet, brush themselves off and get ready to ride again.

"You could go out and get your head stepped on and die like that," Schock said as he snapped his fingers. "(When) you stand before the Lord and finding out where you go ... that's what's important right there."

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Christianity

1. Rob

August 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Normon

What an A$$!
      Right idea, but lousy way to state it.

August 4, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of God Does Roar

Rob wroye on August 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm "Stupid freaks. Enter the real world and discover science. You pathetic, stupid people."

Want to talk "science" do we? Then, Lets talk about "Fractal Cosmologic Relatives", shall we? You, Rob, might know it better as Fractal Cosmology. Care to debate this issue of science with me?

August 4, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

me me me me I will!

August 4, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  2. Normon

Oh, "bull riding"... I thought it said "bull writing". ...well that's different.

August 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
  3. CONSPIRACYSRUS

IS THERE ANYTHING THAT YOU GUYS DON'T PUT GOD IN FRONT OF. COME ON!!! BULL RIDING! GET OVER YOURSELVES.

August 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  4. Adam

News Flash: The bull doesn't care if you pray to Jesus or not. He will crush your hopes and dreams...and your skull.

August 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  5. The Lionly Lamb of God Does Roar

Disagree wrote, "God works in mysterious ways! Don't say a bad word or you will be damned! Besides, Anything you do in the name of god is good.. Be it a war (Crusades) or genocide(inquisitions) or spreading the "Love" (to the alterboys).. didn't you get the memo?"

Truth be told, The King of the Gods, Christ Jesus is Not GOD, who Fathered All of Creation! Yes it will ever be a mystery to manhoods' and wmanhoods' mindfulness ambitions to dally here and dither there for this thing and that thought. But to be a flagrant persecuter of the Truthful teaching if Christ Jesus and His Words written down in the Gospels is for all of us to reflect upon and find mediations to ponder about! Even Adult Atheists who are of this world do generate and venorate the good things Life has and does offer.

There is No religious movement before and even until the Now Times where se-x-ual prominscuities and religious wealthiness did not permeate be it Christendom or all otherly religions. To make a pundancy regarding "war and genocide and alter boys" is but a bullying statement coming from someone who themselves are but subliminalised bullies and probably were in their growing aspirations from childhood to teenager and manhood/womanhood.

August 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

That was incoherent. Proof that people shouldn't drink and type.

August 4, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

I assume you have a point but fail to see how anyone could discover it.

August 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of God Does Roar

@ CalgarySandy and Not All Docs Play Golf,

I do so pitty those who are blinded by my words. Such a shame that they connot see the Truth in penmanship of a lowly soul such as myself. 🙁

August 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  6. sideofbacon

glad to see Bull Riders have no problem in holding a charitable event for Mexicans. De Jesus appreciates it!

August 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  7. TonyInNYC

II suppose any of us could die instantaneously in all manner of ways; however, in the meantime, I think I'll up my odds just a bit by *not bull riding.*

August 4, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of God Does Roar

Got a good chuckle from that post TYVM LRTNYC! 🙂

August 4, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

You could become crippled for life and then you would never be able flee.

August 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  8. abd

If the base is false, everything build on it is false. if you belive in Jesus as your savior you will go to heaven, so whatever bad things you do don't worry, heaven is guranteed. This isillogical, but people believe it becasue it is cool. same thing is transferred to all aspects of christiantiy, non-sense, but people like it becasue it is cool, and great, believe and do whatever you want and you will end up in heaven. You can't find better than that, so people are living in this dream, and defending their dream with all the power, becasue it is the best dream ever, and they don't want anyone, whatsover, to wake them up. The moment you die you will realize you got screwed, and Jesus will spit in your face for treating him as God when he never asked you to worship him. so wait and see.

August 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • JT

Haven't read the Bible have you? Try the book of James.

August 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • laurie

NUTBAG!!!!

August 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • abd

@ JT : I did read the Bible, and the more I know about christianity the more I feel SORRY for christians, poor people, they just want to go to heaven, but they are cluless, they are taking the shortest path in their maind, believe and go to heavev. Jesus died on Friday, and was resurrcuted on sunday, how in the world is that three days and three nights, there are thousands of contradictions in the Bible, so it is a good book, just a book, not holy at all, becasue some people have the Bible with 73 chapters, some have the bible with 66 chapters, and all claim his bible to be the right one. NON-SENSE

August 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

Spit in his face? Is this to cure him of his blindness? My Mother told me that there is no justice unless there is punishment and that is why God created HeII.

August 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • abd

@ Laurie;

Did Jesus teach youto say that.

August 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • laurie

@abd..you should know if you read the Bible like you said you did.

August 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • abd

@ Laurie;

It is not in the bible, I guess a door in a public bathroom taught you that. Anyway, I like your name

August 4, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
    • J.W

I am a Christian, but laurie seems kind of weird to me.

August 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • laurie

@JW...you have no idea how weird...that is a compliment from this group of deviant bloggers.
      @abd...what a retort! keep spreading your joy.

August 4, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • Sporkify

Christianity is alluring because people fear death and are too narcissistic (or stupid) to imagine existence continuing without them. It's the most simplistic ruse imaginable, but people are, ultimately, just silly little monkeys floating around in space. The carrot and the stick have always worked well.

August 5, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  9. PraiseTheLard

Makes sense, as all religion is bull...

August 4, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  10. JohnnyJett and The Dirty Socks

I'll bet Jesus could hold on for 8 seconds.

August 4, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
    • JESUS

Yes, I can if you nail my hands to the horns!

August 4, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

JESUS

Yes, I can if you nail my hands to the horns!

----
      Now that would be fun to watch. A zombie hippie bull riding.

August 4, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
  11. Not All Docs Play Golf

Right. And Catholic priests ride altar boys for Jesus. This is ridiculous. If you are into professional wrestling, motorcycle rallies, or bull rinding, fine. Just don't claim to be doing it "for Jesus."

August 4, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  12. CalgarySandy

Since when was Baltimore the Old West? I live in the remains of the Old West and have been to Baltimore. There is not enough land in the whole state to call anything a ranch. A ranch is not a farm. To the best of my knowledge Bull's were never considered a riding animal. Stupid kids might have sneaked out to have a go in the actual west but the activity is not part of normal ranching life.We rode steers, cows, and yearly calves and that was dangerous enough. We were not supposed to and it did us neither good nor bad. As an adult, I would have kept a closer eye on kids to keep them from doing the same stupid things.

Bull riding is something that came out of rodeos in the actual west that cowboys could do to make money at and go all macho about. Now the people riding them in rodeos are not even likely to work on farms or ranches. They are professional cowboys who train to do this and who know they could be maimed or killed. There is an out cry every year on the rodeo circuits to stop this barbaric activity. They have rodeo clowns who distract the bull from stomping the fallen cowboy into a bloody pulp on the ground. An child should not do what adult men can only do with help from the clowns. A young teenager was killed this last rodeo season riding bulls.

How is this christian? Is the idea to turn them into soul less little MFs who think it is soul saving to torment animals and that this is what makes them real men? Everywhere you look these trolls are shoving their religion at someone. It should be forbidden to brain wash any one much less a child. Have the camp, without animal abuse, and keep your religion to yourself. If they come back as adults and ask you about your religion then is the time to trot it out.

August 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  13. laurie

Since you would not post my first comment, how about this comment on atheists? There can be no such things as an atheist. This is why: Let's imagine that you are a professing atheist. Here are two questions for you to answer: First, do you know the combined weight of all the sand on all the beaches of Hawaii? We can safely assume that you don't. This brings us to the second question: Do you know how many hairs are on the back of a fully-grown male Tibetan yak? Probably not. It is therefore reasonable to conclude that there are some things that you don't know. It is important to ask these questions because there are some people who think they know everything.
    You don't know if there is a God or not.

August 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

You are trying to rationalize something. And religious minds aren't capable of rationalization. So quit trying.

August 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Of course we don't know whether or not there is a god... or two gods... or a whole bunch of them...

Neither do you... If there is a god, which one of the thousands that mankind has worshiped over the millenia might be the right one?

August 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Laughing

That's really cute, so you think you've got an ironclad argument huh?

I can answer both of your questions incredibly easily if that makes you feel better.

1) Combined weight of all the sand in the world – Would you like a number or would you like to know how to figure it out? It IS possible you know, because the sand is real and we have the tools and someone has the time to figure it out. This goes along with your second question too. If you want an exact number, well you're shi.t out of luck because you didn't specify which male tibetan yak you wanted to know, but in any event give me the exact yak and I guarantee you I'll be able to figure out the answer.

Now that you're idiotic assertions have been rendered completely moot and useless, go back to your church and ask god to give you candy or something, maybe this time he'll actually answer!!

August 4, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • Spiffy

One of the worst arguments for God ever.

Here is how I see it when people say that we simply cannot know if there is a God or not. The same logic can be applied to numerous things. We simply do not know if there are invisible unicorns. But that doesn't mean we should start a church worshiping these supposed magical animals that might exist. Just because we don't know if something exists or not doesn't mean it is very likely (or at all likely) that it does.

August 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • laurie

@not all docs play golf
      why are you under the assumption that I have a religious mind? This will really tick you off....definition of athiesm: justification for deviance.

August 4, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Kyle

Laurie,

I have little doubt that both your questions could be answered easily with the application of modern geology, statistics, biology, physics, etc.

August 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm |

@Laurie

You might want to stop before you hurt your brain too much. When you have someone like kyle (no offense to you sir) who is about as christian as they come and tells you to stop, it might be time to throw in the towel kiddo. But good show! Maybe next time you can post a pretty picture you drew that has god in it as proof that he exists!

August 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Kyle

I think you have me confused with a different Kyle. I'm atheist.

August 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • laurie

@ the rest of the blog trolls who are so quick to come out from under the proverbial rock: your wonderful words of expressing yourselves and your ideals show how you can't take what you try to dish out....have fun swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool!!!!

August 4, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • TonyInNYC

You could remodel that argument to say no one knows whether God exists (or gods). I think you're trying to guide everyone toward agnosticism.

August 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm |

@Kyle

ATTACK OF THE BODY SNATC.HERS!! Someone is using your handle then on the rest of the board to promote christianity. You're ev.il twin is undoin.g all your good work!

@lauri

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
      So this is how you adm.it defeat eh? You p.ose a question. We respond, and then you say we're trolls and are the dumb ones.

Can't wait to see your fing.erpai.nting of god when it dri.es!

August 4, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • I Don't Get It

Laurie: "definition of athiesm: justification for deviance."

Deviance from what?

Perhaps that would be *your* reason for not believing, then?

August 4, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • aaron

You are confused. You assume an atheist claims to know with absolute certainty that there is no god. This is not true. I can't prove that there is no tooth fairy, but I don't believe in one because I've never seen one, nor have I seen any credible evidence that might lead me to believe there's even a possibility that one could exist. For these reasons I do not believe in the tooth fairy and for those same reasons I do not believe in a god. Think about it, you can not prove with absolute certainty that there isn't a 50,000lb, two foot tall, purple elephant with three inch wings that flies around at half the speed of light at the other end of the universe, but that lack of absolute knowledge by no means obligates you to consider it as a serious possibility. Everything you know about the universe leads you to believe that no such elephant exists or even could exist. For that same reason I don't believe a god exists.

August 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • laurie

@laughing...no one said anyone was dumb...it is comical that when someone posts any anything contrary to the popular thinking of the troll bloggers....they are immediately jumped on! hilarious!
      @I don't get it....Deviance is a sociological context describing actions or behaviors that violate the norm....ergo...atheism is justification for deviance....

August 4, 2011 at 4:22 pm |

@laurie

Not true, I was (and am) calling you a bumbskull. I actually have no problem with people posting their views that are contrary to mine, though yours weren't, you just keeping telling yourself that and then wishing it were real. That might work between god and you, but in the real world honey you have to be able to back up your statements. You asked two questions as if they were the be all end all of proof that atheism doesn't exist. Sorry champ, but if you want to say something like, "I know god exists because I've seen him" that's closer to the mark for what most christian arguments are on this board, your argument however was so painfully stupid I needed to point out your horrendous fallacies so no one would mistake it as even remotely logical. I was just doing my duty as a good citizen.

Your welcome belief blog!

August 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Magic

Laurie, "Deviance is a sociological context describing actions or behaviors that violate the norm..."

And this 'norm' is set and enforced by a supernatural being?

August 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • laurie

@magic...the cultural norm..

August 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • J.W

I think I kind of know what laurie was trying to say. She just did a horrible job of it. I think she was trying to say since we don't know everything how do we know that there isn't a god. That is how I am interpreting it.

August 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • laurie

@laughing....so I am a bumbskull? being an atheist means that you are open minded and fair, right? so to be fair...I am a bumbskull and you are a deviant...sounds fair to me.

August 4, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

laurie

---–
      Hmmmm who used to use the same types of words calling atheists deviants? Surprised she hasn't followed up with we owe everything to christianity in making us civil. lol

August 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Laughing

Now now J.W, let the girl try to ar.ticulate what she was trying to say, and besides the "we don't know anything" argument probably hurts religion more than atheism.

laurie, who says atheists have to be open minded and fair? In any event, you admit to being an idiot, awesome, that basically takes all the air out of your sails now don't it? As for me being a deviant...... hmmmmm now what have I done to make you believe I am a deviant? Let's define it shall we?

Departing from usual or accepted standards, esp. in social or se.xual behavior.

If we were to go by this blog alone, you would be the deviant kiddo, as you depart from the usual standards of at least some semblance of coherent thought. But hey, I guess I'll accept the t.itle since we can both agree that apparently when god was making you he forgot to outfit you with a brain.

I am serious about those finger paintings though, I'm sure they're very lovely and you can post it for the whole blog to see your big accomplishment of finding god! We could even put it up on the fridge if that would make you feel like a superstar!

August 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • laurie

@laughing...you have the right name...your posts are laughable....all you can come up with are insults....so sad...the underlying rage comes through quite clear in your posts...along with most of the others here....oh, by the way...I am not a woman....just using a lady's name I used to know....next time I will use "bumbskull"

August 5, 2011 at 9:36 am |

@laurie

Thanks for laughing at my jokes! Also, you don't want me to insult you? That's cool just stop providing so much fodder! If you actually want to discuss topics with real arguments, I'll be happy to stop insulting you and prove you wrong with logical arguments, anyplace, anytime. Thanks for helping me identify you on future boards as bumbskull, at least you'll wear your idiocy proudly as a handle instead of hiding behind a woman's name, which by the way why? What exactly does that accomplish? So you can pretend you're not mike and people will won't jump down your throat the way they did with mike?

We can keep playing this game if you want, but as my handle suggests, I'll just keep laughing at you and your idiotic posts that you try to pass off as remotely meaningful.

P.S. I'm glad you caught my underlying rage, did you detect a sprinkle of sarcasm and pity I usually add in at the end?

August 5, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • bumbskull

@laughing...you are welcome...glad to konw that you get some joy out of life...let me know, will you, anytime you have something 'remotely meaningful' to say?

August 5, 2011 at 10:01 am |

@Bumbskull

Thanks for the compliment! Define meaningful, for instance I think a meaningful contribution to debate would go, please explain why god has created animals only for them to go extinct. Another meaningful contribution might be, why in the world did you think your original post made even a modicu.m of sense? I think that suffices for now.

Also, love the name, gives me a sense of accomplishment, sort of like getting hester to sow the letter A on her dress. You now have a name that reveals to everyone the extent of your intelligence.

August 5, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • J.W

I bet God gets bored seeing the same animals all the time. When he gets tired of them he might wipe them out. He knew humans and dinosaurs could not coexist, so he had to wipe out the dinosaurs. So that is about the time he creates the first primate-like creature. Then he got bored of those so he had to make it evolve into something more intelligent. And humans are still kind of stupid. A million years from now we will be a more intelligent species.

August 5, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • bumbskull

@laughing...someone sounds like they need to take a nerve pill...there is nothing to debate....this is what I have been getting at:
      To say categorically, "There is no God," is to make an absolute statement. For the statement to be true, I must know for certain that there is no God in the entire universe. No human being has all knowledge. Therefore, none of us is able to truthfully make this assertion.
      If you insist upon disbelief in God, what you should say is, "Having the limited knowledge I have at present, I believe that there is no God."
      that being said...for the sake of not debating I will capitulate to you: the all knowing, logical minded....laughable...

August 5, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • Laughing

I like JW's comment better, it allows for god to be, dare I say.....more human? True though, I think if dinosaurs still roamed the earth, man might have an interesting time coexisting.

So you say there's nothing to debate and then make an argument for one, do we need to go over what a debate is?

You said:" "There is no God," is to make an absolute statement. For the statement to be true, I must know for certain that there is no God in the entire universe."

This gets into semantics. For instance can I say with a lot of certainity there is no Zeus? I guess if you really hate absolute statements, then fine, there is a very very very very very very (ect... ect....) small chance that Zeus exists. Same with the Christian god, or the Jewish god, or Allah, et all. If you want to go beyond and talk about a "higher being" then its a different story with different semantics. What you might call god because of its superior knowledge and seeming powers, I would call a highly evolved extraterrestrial. I not only admit there could be aliens out there, I'm as sure there is alien life out there as I am that the christian god does not exist. The real interesting thing is, what do these aliens look like? If they're humanoid than what does that mean for theology? If they're not, then what does THAT mean?

In terms of absolute statements though, which is the crux of your statement now as it was in your original post, you'd be loathe to find an atheist that is willing to make absolute statements, even about their disbelief in "god".

You see, atheists for the most part have no problem admitting when they're wrong if presented with evidence to the contrary of the original as.sertion, that's why they're also loathe to make definite statements and thats why things like, gravity, the big bang and evolution are all called theories, because right now they're factual but could be proven wrong with enough evidence. Geddit? You might want to turn inwards if you're really worried about absolute statements being infallable, you know like, god is ominipresent, omnipotent and omnibenevolent. These things CAN and ARE proven to be mutually exclusive, and yet christians still tightly cling to the original claim because to say that god isn't one of those things, or that god is fallible kind of hurts your whole belief system.

But hey, at least we're getting somewhere instead of just slinging insults back and forth. Isn't this FUN?!

August 5, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • fred

Laughing,

Wrong, wrong ! Laurie asked if you could measure the sand on the beaches of Hawaii which you cannot. So you changed the question to the weight of sand in the world. This you did by accident or intention knowing that sand on a beach was in constant flux. Still you cannot measure it even if we spent pages defining what const-itutes a qualifying grain of sand. At best you could give a rough estimate given limiting parameters.
      Same goes for the yak but a bit easier since we could agree upon only say hair still attached to the follicle and extruding from the base cell of a dead yak on ice.
      However, it may just be easier to ask Dr Seuss how many hairs on the back of a yak. or was that a Gack?

August 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • bumbskull

@laughing....wow!.. this is fun? what kind of childhood did you have? very short apparently...I am sorry for whatever happened in your life that has made you so very unhappy...it sure comes thru...I guess since neither of us can prove evidence for or against the existence of God..it is pointless...I will gather my pearls and leave.....shalom

August 5, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • J.W

Maybe God does feel human emotion sometimes. Maybe he gets bored, sad, angry, etc. I do still wonder how creatures as big and as powerful as the dinosaurs were died out, yet it seems as if some of the other species survived. And that is about the same time that the fossils for the first ancestor of primates appeared. I need to find a local evolution expert to explain all of it to me maybe.

August 5, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • J.W

What are you talking about bumbskull? I am going to prove the existence of God and Jesus. The whole world will become Christian. There will be a new book in the Bible dedicated to me.

August 5, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • fred

JW
      The “theory”(for Laughing) of God has a law where God does everything with a purpose. The lush Garden of Eden had big plants, big dinosaurs, big dinosaur poop etc. . Eden is located near modern day Iraq. All that organic matter decomposed into vast oil reserves. Israel and its antagonist came from the two sons Ishmael and Isaac. One is the constantly kicking the other (all biblical not made up). The Jew all from line of Isaac and Arabs Ishmael (yes lots of genetic mixing going on so no clean blood lines today). Both now smack dab in the middle of the oil problem which forces the world to participate thus everyone’s hands are dirty. The end times center there also with the land being made uninhabitable by a bright firestorm and shaking earth. Ouch both now have bombs and can no longer beat each other with sticks.
      Laughing is that a circular argument where life begins and ends at the place God first created it?

August 5, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • J.W

Thats interesting if the Garden of Eden turned into oil. So it may be that the oil we are fighting over now is from the tree of good and evil. So at some point there must have been a drought and killed off the plants. But the dinosaurs must have been dead before that. I dont know where all of the dinosaur fossils were found. I think some were found in Europe. But were dinosaurs present throughout the world, or just in certain areas?

August 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

J.W

------–
      Yes all over the world. There might have been a place like a Garden of Eden where an advanced being had pets (humans). But there was other life and other humans outside of it. Adam was not the first.

August 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Laughing

@Bumbskull, does that mean I win? I did say, "I would love to see what sort of thoughts you have on either question, then again as we can see from the begining of this thread, when people answered your intial idiotic assertions, you refused to even try to back them up, lets see what happens this time....." And you proved me right!

Also as for fun, do you not like debate? I sure do (he.ll, I was raised jewish, debate is the national sport). Also you admit you can't prove god exists huh? So if you can't prove god exists then...... well there is the logical theory that god doesn't exist until proven otherwise. Also I'm not a swine, that's unkosher ......shalome to you kid, I hope next time you can contribute something remotely intelligent!

@J.W. It really is all about survival of the fittest and adaptation when it comes to dinosaurs and their extinction whereas there are still living things on earth. Mammals were able to adapt to the ice age that was caused when an asteroid hit creating a nuclear winter. Since dinosaurs are theorized to be cold blooded, lots died from lack of heat. There was also a huge amount of dust kicked up into the air and the initial explosion itself. Since it was such a drastic event, most dinosars couldn't adapt in time and so they died. that being said, I don't claim to be a local evolution expert, definitly seek one out and pose the same questions, I could be wrong.

now as for you fred

I honestly can't make heads or tails of what you're trying to say. First off,lets quote what laurie said in the original post, " First, I think changing sand in hawaii to the world isn't an egrecious error, isn't the heart of the question asking to measure something that's seemingly impossible to measure? Does it matter if its just sand in hawaii or not? It doesn't matter though, would you agree that at a specific point in time when she asked there is an exact weight? Sure I don't know what the answer is, but you and I both can agree that there is an answer and its possible to find that answer. It'd be easier how Dr. Seuss, if only the good doctor could answer all of life's mysteries.

As for your second post, there were dinosaurs in the garden of eden? I had no idea, tell the vatican! Also, to nitpick, jews are arabs, the people that came from ishmael or muslims, but both muslims and jews are arabs. Also, I don't think you know what a circular argument. A circular argument goes, "the bible is right because the bible says its right" what you asked is called poetic irony, but that's assuming that humanity started in the middle east, which ignores Indian people, Chinese people, Africans, and the entire out of Africa theory.

August 5, 2011 at 12:56 pm |

@J.W

Actually a ridiculous amount of bones were found right here in America, and there are a lot in South America, but keep in mind, the landmasses on earth looks A LOT different than they do now so south America was still connected to Africa or could be drifiting away at this point, and Indian is coming in hot towards asia.

August 5, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • J.W

ACTS I agree that there were other humans, otherwise Eve would have had to have like 100 kids. These two people just happened to be included in the Bible. Laughing I was thinking that the Ice Age was way after the dinosaurs died. I was thinking it was like 500,000 years ago. Maybe I am wrong. I have heard the theory of a giant asteroid hitting. I was thinking other species would have been wiped out by that too. I do know that in Kansas they have found a lot of fossils of underwater creatures, so they think that Kansas was under the ocean at one time. I am sure millions of years of earthquakes and other things will change the landscape a little bit.

August 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm |

@J.W

First, I hope there were more than a just adam and eve or else there would have been really intense incest for a really long time which is really disconcerting.

Secondly, It's actually theorized that there have been many ice ages, not just one. So the one you are thinking of happened when man roamed the world, but it wasn't the only one. As with the asteroid though, it wouldn't wipe out every species, just the ones that couldn't cope with the drastic change in environment, dinosaurs couldn't handle it. I'm sure I'm doing a miserable job at explaining all of this, but it's the basic gist I think.

August 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • stumped

@laughing
      maybe we are all wrong and there is a man behind the curtain running the whole thing?

August 5, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • J.W

Yeah Laughing I can see that making sense. Maybe the opposite of the Ice Age is happening right now. At least we have air conditioning so that we can adapt. I wonder if any of the species around today will adapt at some point and evolve, or if they need to. I dont know.

August 5, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • fred

Laughing,
      Bible shows Eden being near the swamps of modern Iraq and the line of the chosen came from Adam. God breathed into Adam and that “life” was the image of God which was the point Man (ho mo sapiens ) was different than before. We cannot determine when that was even though Neanderthal had a large enough brain he did not have that “image”. So the line beginning with Adam is the best I see as to the chosen ones.
      Now I am actually in bed with Laurie as to the weight of sand that’s figuratively not literally. i.e. though it can be measured you cannot measure it. Though God exists you cannot measure Him. Seems God has a lot of problems with Jews that have it all figured out based on repeated punishment inflicted on them over stiff necks. God is always stuck with bringing a remnant through that eventually does the same thing. Face to face with Jesus they still could not see the face of God. The Christians were given a helper, the law and God in the flesh to see yet here we are again where only a few will get through the narrow gate. So Christ the stumbling block to the Jew leads the gentiles to the narrow gate and most will not go through. The Jew say if Jesus looked more like the Messiah we were waiting for it would have been a different ending. The Gentile says if Christ would just give us a sign to prove he is who he says he is it would be a different ending. God says none will be given it but the sign of Jonah. In short we have all heard what Nineveh did and that is all we need to prove what is in our heart.

August 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • fred

stumped,
      Curtains are importat parts of the Bible. The Old Testament we have God and priests only that could go behind the curtain and often there were many curtains one had to go through. Even those curtains were loaded with symbolism.
      On the day Jesus died the curtain was ripped in two from the top to the bottom and the Jews and Gentiles both ran from it. Just dont forget the Wizard gave Dorothy the way home, and as many on this site some need a brain and some a heart. So go behind the curtain and simply ask .....ask right and you will be amazed

August 5, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • fred

J.W
      Just Adam and then Eve. One man one woman post Neanderthal. The rest of the lines die off or remained in some form as we see today (apes etc). Incest is not a problem as Laughing insists. Only important blood lines are recorded in the bible. Adam lived 930 years and had many kids..

August 5, 2011 at 3:02 pm |

fred,

I really do want to have a discussion with you, but please please PLEASE clean up your grammar, syntax and diction. Seriously, I think a lot of your points are being lost because I simply don't understand what you're saying. With that being said, I apologize in advance already if I misinterpret what you are trying to say and my rebuttle to that.

1. I know it's theorized that the garden of eden was between the tigris and euphrates in modern day iraq, then again, I can also theorize that narnia's entrance is somewhere outside of London, England. Doesn't make it anymore real. A lot of people who now read the bible figuratively know that the garden is just a metaphor for the golden age, basically it's just uber nostalgia.

Also, if you want to believe in neandrathals I applaud you, but trying to fit them into theology is like trying to fit a square through a traingular hole, it doesn't work.

So you're saying laurie is asking for the figurative weight of all the sand in hawaii? Does that even make sense? "though it can be measured you cannot measure it" ..... what do you mean by this? If it can be measured then that means there's a definable answer. "Though God exists you cannot measure Him" this is where the analogy falls flat. Sand does exist, I've touched it, I've smelled it, I've tasted it. It's 100% real. god on the otherhand only exists on faith and faith alone, his existance can and has been questioned. No one on this planet can question the existance of sand, and if they do I can bring them tangible evidence to prove them wrong. Get my drift?

Secondly, *christians* were given nothing from god. A more correct statement is that jews were given jesus as their messiah. He didn't fit the description, nor did he DO anything in particular to help the jews at all. For a people that have been used to oppression, looking for a messiah and are pretty gullible you would think if jesus was the real thing, it would be a slam dunk, so why is it that only a handful of people actually believed in him when he was alive.....?

Also to nitpick further, you're a gentile buddy, non-jews are gentile so if you don't consider yourself a jew then you belong in the other group.

You also bring up the Sign of Jonah......again......., first, it was actually jesus that says this, not god (although I understand to you that's one in the same) but let me ask you this, if jesus says this, then why would he perform any other miracles or *try* to fulfill jewish prophacy. It seems there's a bit of a contradiction there, then again that's the bread and butter of the bible so I understand why this contradiction doesn't bother you.

@stumped/fred's response
      I have no reservations admitting that we could all be wrong, literally every idea on earth could be. I don't think so, but hey it's a possibility, however remote. for fred, jesus didn't do anything differently than any other crazy messianic figure to make his way through israel during that time period, he just had better PR. Sorry bud

August 5, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • J.W

I think the Jews hated Jesus because of why Conservative Christians hate people like me. Although he was faithful, he was trying to bring about a new philosophy, and they were not willing to accept that. They felt he did not observe any Jewish laws and he was trying to bring about radical change to what they believe.

August 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Laughing

Eh, sort of. He wasn't just trying to bring about a new philosophy, he was telling people he was god (according to the bible post council of nicea, so who knows what he really said). Not only was he blaspheming, he was trying to remove all the religious authoritative figures, oh and he was getting the Romans to attack not just him and people who believed him, but jews everywhere. He was doing an incredible amount of damage all because, for jews at least, he was just a crazy guy saying he was god and people believed him.

August 5, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

J.W

--–
      Its not about us being able to adapt rather will our food source adapt?

August 5, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Laughing,
      Prove that Narnia does not exist.

August 5, 2011 at 3:40 pm |

@ACTS

Sh*it! I can't I mean, it has SEVEN books backing up it's existance and Aslan conviently explains how to get to and from Narnia. I will say though that since I can't prove it doesn't exist then I guess we'll have to agree that it must exist because I can't prove whether it exists or not. Well played sir.

August 5, 2011 at 3:43 pm |
    • fred

Laughing,
      Sorry, proper writing is not something I am capable of. In the past someone always took my writing and fixed it before sending it out.
      1)Genesis 2: 10-14 lays out the location of Eden. Since it was written in early 1400 BC some question how the writer knew that. Archeological research shows the basin on the Eastern Mediterranean is without doubt the cradle of civilization. How could the writer of Genesis know that? There is evidence to support the line of the chosen ones came from this “Eden. Level headed Archeologists for some reason are not looking for Narnia’s door. Certainly the metaphor of following waters in these rivers going four directions is symbolic of God’s blessings flowing to the 4 corners of the world (not literal corners) should not be overlooked.
      2)As to Neanderthal they did not have the brain capacity (Steve Olson, Mapping Human History: Genes, Race, and Our Common Origins (New York: Houghton Mifflin Co., 2002), to wonder, thus not the first Adam
      3)Nicodemus went to Jesus in the dark of night and Jesus said “ I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe so how can you believe when I speak of heavenly things”. In short there was a blockage there and even tangible evidence was not sinking in. You still are not looking for “God” who is (i.e. the one that cannot be measured). You look for a tangible that fits your man made preconceived image of god. Nineveh did not receive tangible proof only the testimony of Jonah (even Jonah could not believe they went for it). Hint: the heart must be first willing to receive the good news. When the neck is stiff it is unyielding.

August 5, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  14. Hugh

Thank you CNN for putting this video on your website.

August 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  15. beth

I use to go there as a kid for summer camp. It was always fun and inspiring.

August 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  16. us1776

I think they need to start Suicide for Jesus.

The world would be a safer place.

August 4, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Spiffy

There are plenty of Christian cults for those interested.

August 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Oh, but what you don't understand us1776, there has been plenty of people who has committed suicide for Jesus, like me, for instance.

We die to sin and not allow it to rule over our lives like unbelievers do. After we commit suicide to sin, we then, begin to live the life that Christ attended for to live in abundance. Why don't you commit suicde and join us to a much happier spiritual life in Christ?

August 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • CalgarySandy

There is precedent to committing suicide for Jesus. All those Christians that played such a small role in the Roman Games with animals and warriors or were mass crucified in the arena asked for it. Well, maybe not all. Many did as they believed that if they died for the cause they would go directly to Heaven and get good seats near the Holy Family of God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit as the female and intellectual aspect of God. Martyrdom was all the rage with early Christian the sooner to get a bigger reward. They were quit infamous for wanting to die horribly. People thought they were crazy. Nothing changes. They now put themselves out on the internet and attract ire. Oh, Look at me. I am being insulted and discriminated against. Poor little me. I tell people they are going to HeII and they get all nasty! Hay Zeus Marimba.

August 4, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • DEADINSIDE

I eat M&Ms for Jesus.......He can't because he has holes in his hands 🙁

August 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • herbert juarez

watch out for the spiffy cult

August 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • herbert juarez

it ain't difficult
      to avoid the spiffy cult
      when you see the" postings"
      of spiffy come your way
      just put on your thinking cap
      and here is what you say
      spiffy does not exist

August 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  17. HeIsGod

Awesome!!

One way or another, the Good Lord will find a way to reach out to those who are out of His will. God bless Jon Bisset and may he reach to many who are being held in captivity by Satan and his demons.

August 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

So, to you, Satan is a real, living being? If you had not been indoctrinated with that kind of thinking at a young vulnerable age, there is noway that you would have been told that as an adult and believed it if you had been allowed to fully mature before your mind was poisoned.

August 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  18. Kyle

Dear Jesus,

Please protect me as I am about to do something incredibly dangerous, idiotic, and unnecessary.

Amen.

August 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  19. Again Animal Abuse

I thought the bulls, like all animals, were considered to be "God's Creatures," so they are a just another phony religious group. Why don't they do something constructive, like help in an animal shelter, instead of abusing them. What disgusting human beings. Religious? LOL!!

August 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • HeIsGod

Why can't you miserable atheists be happy for others, for once? A bull is too much of a big animal to be abused by a tiny man who is trying to ride him. Ease up, atheists, all of you need Christ to put a smile on your face.

August 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Not All Docs Play Golf

HelsGod...that smile on your face is because you are "drunk in the Lord." Religion is the opiate of the masses. if you like riding bulls, fine. Just don't claim to be doing it "for Jesus."

August 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
  20. rami

ok, can we have mule ride?

August 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Laughing

This is the next best thing:

August 4, 2011 at 3:18 pm |