home
RSS
Perry prayer event hopes to pray away the malaise
August 5th, 2011

Perry prayer event hopes to pray away the malaise

By Jim Acosta and Erika Dimmler, CNN

Houston, Texas (CNN) – Rick Perry seems to believe in the power of mixing prayer and politics.

The Texas governor has called on both Christians and politicians to attend his religious gathering, dubbed "The Response," in Houston this weekend.

In a video posted on "The Response" web site, Perry said he hopes worshipers at the event will help kick-start the nation's sluggish economy. In other words: pray away the malaise.

Read the full story at CNN's Political Ticker
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Politics • Prayer • Rick Perry • Texas

1. JFritz

Every Jew, Muslim, Jain, Atheist, Agnostic, Wiccan, and member of the hundreds of other religions, spiritual endeavors and philosophies in America should be protesting Governor Hair and his disciples. E Pluribus Unum! Giving this lunacy column space is ridiculous. Sign me, one disgusted Texan!

August 6, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
  2. truthbetold

God and I were just talking again today and he asked me to give you all a message from him. He said to tell you that the Virgin Mary definitely never ever even came remotely close to fooling around. She was NOT NASTY!!!

August 6, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
    • J.W

I hope your butt becomes closed and you are unable to poop

August 6, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • TruthMatters

I too was talking to God today, and he said that his words were misstated in the Bible, that atheists will burn in a lake of jello. I guess jello burns in hell. I tried to light my jello on fire, but it did not burn at all. God moves in mysterious ways.

God also told me that purple is the new yellow.

Does your God talk to you through the neighbor's cat like he does with me?

August 6, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  3. truthbetold

I'm not running for political office and I'll freely give some time to Rick if he'd like to take me up on it. I have a direct connection to God and we talk every day. I deliver messages from people to God. Rick, if you really want to get thru to God then just leave your message here and I'll make sure God gets it. Some of us act like we talk to God but very few such as myself are not lying. Also, God just told me that if you get enough seed money to him(thru me of course) that he will sow a vast harvest for the United States. He said that credit cards are fine. God told me to not worry about giving every penny you have to me because he will present you with your harvest with 72 hours of your gift to him, thru me. Also, anyone else that needs me to provide this service today just leave your information for me in reply to this message. Seed money = a vast harvest.

August 6, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • Estevan

Hahaha!

August 7, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  4. Reality

Some observations in the 21st century:---------------–

After a careful and thorough review, it is apparent that we have been fed significant mumbo-jumbo with respect to the life of Jesus.

Brothers and Sisters stop and read about the real Jesus. Develop the new view!!! Jesus was a simple, illiterate, 1st century, preacher/magic man. The Beat-itudes are pure Jesus. His giving to Caesar what was Caesars is pure Jesus. The rest was embellishment upon embellishment of the life of said simple preacher man!!! The "miracles" were added to compete with the local "voodooers of the hoodoo". The resurrection was added to compete with Roman and Greek gods and the "pretty wingie thingies" and "demons of the demented added to continue the fear and superst-itions of the ancients!!!!!"

August 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  5. Relax

Perry prayed so we can all sit back now. God will fix all of our problems before you can say publicity stunt.

August 6, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  6. a person of the Name

I set and read each of these. Trying to find since in it all. You talk about free will but only support ppl that think like you.I see ppl speaking out against God.

August 6, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

APON...You will not make sense of the world because you believe it is god inspired. You think your god should do this and that, as you have been instructed to do, but you do not see it happening. You hope that god will fix the economy, save the starving Africans, save those in harms way with the volcanoes, hurricanes, tsunamis fires, accidents but you do not see it do you? People still die of nasty diseases, and children left alone around the world. Consider your self a human being, and part of a human race that has to think for itself and work out the problems we have. Sitting back and praying is ineffective as you now, and a throw back to more ignorant times. While we have many who are under the delusion they have a special god and he is more powerful than all the others, mayhem is rampant... which is the situation we are in. The world makes sense to me precisely because of the crazy beliefs of others, and I do not see it improving until we get away, as a species, from the delusion we are special.

August 6, 2011 at 6:04 pm |
  7. a person of the Name

And I'm not telling you that you have to serve God. Your the one that assumed that. The bible clearly says God will let you deceive yourself and live your life lost. Do as you wish but don't assume every Christian is combative to your beleifs.

August 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

You're right...not every christian will be, as you put it, 'combative to your beleifs' (first of all, a grammar lesson here...'i' before 'e' except after 'c'). Evolved is who I'm assuming you were replying to, so to combat your position, the reason that every christian won't is because Evolved has evolved, unlike the christian's who fall for 2000 year old fables.
      Praying is not going to resolve anything, any time, anywhere and the sooner that is realized the better off human nature will be. Time to get off your collective butts and make good use of your time, instead of trying to use a 'god' to fix things. Funny how that works-when it seems overwhelming and out of your control you find your answer in a book that has been refuted over and over and over again. Take responsibility for your own actions and grow up.

August 8, 2011 at 4:21 am |
  8. a person of the Name

Once again I get on here and read nothing but hate. We all need God wether you think he's there or not. "But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord"

August 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Samuel

I don't serve your god, nor anyone else. Get over your god stories and start taking responsibility for your actions.

August 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • tallulah13

How strange that you view the opinion that people should do things for themselves and not wait for supernatural intervention as "hate".

August 6, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

APON..sorry, you see hate because it is so much part of the religious experience..nothing better for rallying the troops than finding an enemy to dislike.. be it another god, religion, gay people.. If you consider asking for proof of the god you wish every one to be subservient to as hate, then this must be a new use of the word hate I was previously unaware of.

August 6, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

@ a person of the Name,

If you Truly are a Christendom Believer in Christ's Words of Truthfulness then do that which He commands all to do and this is, "Seek first the Kingdom of God". Once you find it let me know so I can question you in otherly Scriptues that Christ Jesus did proclaim. 🙂 🙁 🙂

August 6, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
  9. J.W

I am going to pray for something right now and I am sure it will come true, because God is great.

August 6, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

I'm going to go pray to Ra asking for the Sun to come up tomorrow...

August 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • J.W

I prayed that someone would respond to that post. And it worked.

August 6, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Gee... your Deity works quickly... I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if Ra answered my prayer...

August 6, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • J.W

When you were inspired to respond to that post that was God working through you.

August 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • LinCA

@J.W

Setting a trap "I am going to pray for something right now"
      ... baiting it "and I am sure it will come true, because God is great."
      ... and claiming victory "I prayed that someone would respond to that post. And it worked."

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. You've been on this comment board long enough to be able to predict the behavior of some of your fellow posters (me included, I'm sure). You stacked the odds of your prayer being "answered", heavily in your favor.

Had you prayed for something that was not likely to happen, and announced in advance what you were going to pray for, your experiment might have had some value.

But, on the other hand, if your god answered your prayer, he must be telling you something. So, then the following comes straight from your god: There are no gods. All religion is man made.

August 6, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
    • Peace2All

@J.W.

Come on dude ! You know better then that.

Peace...

August 6, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • PraiseTheLard

Praise be to Ra the munificent!!!!!

The Sun came up this morning, so that means that Ra answered my prayer !!!!!

All hail the great Ra !!!!!!!!!!!

Together now: Ra !! Ra !! Ra !!!

August 7, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  10. malasangre

If I listen with my eyes closed it sounds just like W. talkin. the same posturing, goober smile, talkin to Jee-sus.

August 6, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  11. look up

"To what will you look for help if you will not look to that which is stronger than yourself?"

~C.S Lewis

August 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • tallulah13

Here's a radical thought: If you want something done, do it yourself. If you need help and your cause isn't completely self-serving, ask your friends and neighbors for help. You'd be surprised how much can be accomplished with people working together for a common cause.

Words are easy, but action, though more difficult, gets things done.

August 6, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
  12. look up

"A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you."

~C.S. Lewis

August 6, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Samuel

Yeah, like the sky, and all those planets orbiting the sun. And all those distant galaxies way out of our reach. But there's no old man up there watching out for you, and the universe does not orbit our puny, insignificant planet. Make the most of your short life here and keep the planet good for those that come after you. No god required, nor is there one there to save you when you screw up, so get your first and only life right.

August 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
  13. Karin

August 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
    • LinCA

@Karin

You said "Rather than be proactive they'll sit and wish upon a star... What's next? Praying for the next president rather than actually voting?"

Now that I would actually support. As long as the prayer is done instead of voting.

So, I propose an experiment. At the 2012 presidential elections, everyone that wants the Republican candidate to win, prays for his/her victory, while everyone who wants the Democratic candidate to win, votes for him/her.

To get more data points in one election cycle, let's do the same for all candidates, whether they are running for US Congress or State or local office.

To ensure that there's no cheating, we'll remove all republicans from the ballots.

August 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • PeterVN

LinCA, that's a great suggestion.

August 6, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  14. Colin

Praying, hey? Let me get this straight, because I have never understood it. Perhaps a Christian, Jew or Muslim can explain. You shut your eyes, clasp your hands (or hold your palms up toward the sky, in the case of Muslims) and think certain thoughts about what you would like to happen – the end of a drought, the recovery of the economy, a recovery from an illness, for example.

A super-being that created the entire cosmos and its billions of galaxies about 13,700,000,000 years ago is tuning in, using some kind of telepathic powers. It reads your mind and, if it is so inclined to do so, intervenes to change what would otherwise be the course of history, in favor of your plaint. It can simultaneously read the minds (or "hear the prayers" if you prefer a more watered down description) of millions of pleading human beings all at once.

Really? Can you perhaps see why we atheists have a little bit of an issue believing this?

August 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Karin

Colin, there are those that make things happen and there are those that do nothing. These individuals fall into the null category.

August 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  15. Rainer Braendlein

What occured 1076? 1076 the Pope Gregory VII. made himself higher than the emperor by the declaration Dictatus Papae, which is one of the most satanic scriptures beside the unholy Koran.

August 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
  16. recordingfil

Wow, the stadium is full and CNN has no coverage on the live event...

Is this not news? If a stadium of another religon was full of people praying in America, would that be news?

August 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Colin

Yes, but we are used to hallf-wit Texan christians making public fools of themselves.

August 6, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • Know What

It's an evangelical pep rally, where untold numbers of man-hours and dollars have been wasted in organizing and in attending it.

Oh well, I suppose some money is sloshing around promoting it...

August 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm |
  17. Rainer Braendlein

Why do we call the Middle Ages dark age sometimes? What made life so unpleasant during the dark age?

There are two reasons: The impact of the pope and the impact of the Muslim Arabs (Saracens).

After Gregory the Great (the last good pope) the wicked papacy was established by the criminal emperor Phocas (emperor of the Roman Empire or Byzantium, 602-610 a. D.). Phocas made the Roman See the highest on earth.

August 6, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

After bad papacy was established, the papal office corrupted more and more in the course of time. After a while
      the popes not only presumed to be the bishops of all bishops, but they even claimed to be higher than the emperor.

August 6, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Have a look on wikipedia and you will see that from 1076 onward the rulers of the Holy Roman Empire of German Nation (a former pope had made Germany the successor of the Roman Empire) just were called merely kings.

Now hang on to your had:

For 666 years the Pope was the Super-Emperor of the whole world up to 1742 a. D., when Germany became an secular emperor again (Emperor Karl VII.)

One of the darkest periods of history lasted 666 years.

Seemingly this date 666 is identic to the number of the beast 666, which is mentioned in the Revelation.

Free Churches should stop to mind about the meaning of 666.

From 1076 to 1742 a beast ruled the world. 666 years long the world was tortured by a beast.

God prevent us from a further papal rule. It is yet enough that he rules his club of predators (child abuse).

No mix of politics and religion!

(of course, it is fine, when a state-ruler beliefs in Christ, but as a state-ruler he should have no higher rank within the Church)

August 6, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Conclusion: The president of the US should not have a higher rank within the Church, although everybody appreciates, when he has personal faith in Christ. He should be an ordinary church member.

August 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  18. WesH

Meanwhile in DC, real progress is being made.

August 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  19. it's about choice

I don't have the power to make the decisions
    but, I have the power to Pray.
    so, I will PRAY for forgiveness, healing and Wisdom

August 6, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Jiminy Cricket

And I will wish upon a star. "No request is too extreme". My dreams WILL come true.

August 6, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

@ it;s about choice.

Is that your final "decision"? {-) _ (*)

August 6, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  20. RKM

Only in Texas can someone so utterly corrupt claim the mantle of religion as his own.

August 6, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • PeterVN

Actually,that's been happening in the Vatican and elsewhere for centuries.

August 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm |