home
RSS
August 6th, 2011

Praying away the bad economy

Texas Governor Rick Perry tries to pray away the malaise of the economy during a religious gathering in Houston. Read the full report on CNN's Political Ticker.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Church and state • Politics • Prayer • Rick Perry

1. JF

"Your our only hope"

That's a sad thing to hear from an elected official.

August 7, 2011 at 1:45 am |
    • JR

Or maybe You're

August 7, 2011 at 1:46 am |
    • jimtanker

"Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're our only hope."

August 7, 2011 at 5:41 am |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Perry is hoping his sky wizard will do something.

August 9, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  2. David Johnson

Jesus speaking:

"If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." –Matthew 21:22 (NIV)

"I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." –Matthew 17:20 (NIV)

"Ask and it will be given to you.... For everyone who asks receives." –Luke 11:9-10 (NIV)

"Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." –Matthew 18:19 (NIV)

James 5:15 – And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

Let's be honest. Don't be afraid to use critical thinking. Jesus said the above, about prayer. Is it true? Can you post back to me and claim what Jesus said is true?

Why has there never been a doc_umented case of an amputated limb being restored? Do you think an amputee never prayed or had faith?

Double blind experiments, have all shown that prayer has no effect on illness.

Because people have believed the promises of the bible, they have withheld medical care for their children. They prayed instead. Evidently, god was not moved by their faith. Their children died. Modern medicine could have saved them. OOoopsie!

Why aren't Jesus' words true? Can you think of any possibilities? If Jesus' words aren't true about prayer, then how can we depend on anything else Jesus said? Maybe if we could "test" the afterlife claims, they would be no more real than the claims about prayer.

A fundie once told me, that god always answers prayers in one of three ways:
    1) God says, "yes". You get what you asked for immediately.
    2) God says, "to wait". You will get what you asked for at some future date.
    3) God says, "no". You will not get what you asked for.

Hmmm.... But I can get the same success from the carton of milk I have sitting on the breakfast table.

1) If I pray to my magic carton, some things will come true immediately, just by chance and coincidence.
    2) Some things will come true at some future date, for the same reasons.
    3) If I don't get what I want, then my magic carton said, "no".

Having a prayer answered, appears to require only 3 things: belief, faith and to be totally sure, you need others to pray with you.

Hmm...

Remember the Gulf oil spill?
    Remember how a ton of people prayed for god to stop the gushing?
    I was spellbound! I watched the real time video of the oil spill. I expected to see it stop. It did not. Human technology eventually capped the well.

Remember when Rick Perry rallied his state to pray for rain? He issued a proclamation that for 72 hours, the citizens of Texas would all pray for rain. I thought, surely god would hear their prayers and open the windows of Heaven!
    The "days of prayer" ended Sunday, April 24, 2011. Texas is still experiencing exceptional drought.

Studies have shown prayer does not work. Any miracles or answered prayers are the result of random chance, coincidence and selective observation. Believers tend to remember the perceived positive outcome of prayers and forget the failed.

Christians MUST contest this. They must rent their clothes and Shout: "Do not put the lord your god to the test!" LOL!

God, either does not care or does not exist. Personally, I'm checking the second box. LOL.

Cheers!

August 7, 2011 at 12:51 am |
    • JF

"I think there is a problem, when there is no difference between praying to a god and praying to a milk carton."

Indeed

August 7, 2011 at 1:34 am |
    • Johnny Blammo And His Foul-Tempered Kitty Of Doom

There is a huge difference between praying to God and praying to a milk carton – the milk carton actually exists.

August 7, 2011 at 2:03 am |
  3. Evolved DNA

Here is an answer Rick will never get... Hey.. Rick..its god...I want your churches to pay taxes to help the economy..

August 7, 2011 at 12:24 am |
  4. Harold Heard

I believe Americans need to pray for divine guidance.

August 6, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • LinCA

I believe I'll have another beer.

August 6, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • Spiffy

I believe that is a horrible idea. I believe that a study showed that prayer actually has no effect on the outcome of events.

August 7, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • JF

While your at it how about praying for a sign of actual existence? So God was on the sidelines for millions of years then decided to interact with man and did so for about 1,000 years. Except for the Mormon claims, he hasn't been heard from him in almost 2,000 years. A little odd isn't it? How about a talking bush or talking snake outside the convention center in Houston? That would have convinced millions. Why be so hidden? Any communication at all would be nice. I'm not talking about voices inside your head. I mean real communication like stated in the Bible. Why doesn't that happen? Is it because he is psychotic and the more people he gets to watch being tortured for eternity the better? If the economy worsens after this prayer, I assume that will be due to the fact it is part of the divine plan? At that point maybe you can tell me why they even bothered to pray in the first place. I'll keep praying to the lunar god. It's just as effective. You can't prove me wrong.

August 7, 2011 at 1:21 am |
  5. here this

Teligionthenecessaryopiateofthemasses...ifyouknewtherewasnothingafterdeath...youmightgocrazyorlovelife...uptoyou

August 6, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  6. The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

I am the Keymaster. Are You the Gatekeeper? wote on August 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm stating, “Jesus got his butt kicked my some ordinary mortals. Can you imagine Thor or Zeus getting crucified by a bunch of Middle Eastern morons? Not a chance ! If you are going to be god-fearing, you should at least pick a god who isn't an easily-defeated wimp like Jesus.”

Dear Keymaster, Thor or Zeus lived out their Lifetimes in a day and time while Christ Jesus was still doing His Father’s bidding ever since Time 1st began. When Christ Jesus was born of a young virgin woman, He was to fullfil the Prophecies within the Jewish scrolls. His death was a prerequisite of His taking on a human form of manliness in order to complete the circle of Everlasting Lifetimes for one and all! Thus say I, The Lionly Lamb of The Gods. Be you warned! I have my Prides moving here to there awaiting my orders to ensnare any or all who do evils and wickedness upon unsuspecting souls!

August 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Spiffy

So you are saying that God sacrificed himself to himself in order to forgive the people he made of actions he knew would happen the moment he created them. How does that make any sense?

August 6, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
    • God Tells It Like It Is

Well Spiffy, it's like this: I made Adam and Eve, and even though I know everything that has and will ever happen, I was totally surprised that they did the horizontal mambo. I got angry at them for being faulty, even though I made them and botched it, and I punished them for my mistake by throwing them out of Eden and cursing all their descendants forever. Kind of an eternal guilt by association thing for being made badly.

In your case, I made you totally incapable of believing in me, and I will punish you forever for not believing in me. I will eternally reward any fool or mass murderer who believes in me, and I will forever torture the kindest, most generous person ever born if he does not believe in me.

And I will make it a trap, leaving absolutely no evidence of my existence whatsoever beyond a book I intentionally made bizarre and contradictory and repellant.

And I make the people who believe in me totally crazy to fool you even more into not believing in me.

And I put out a few thousand other phony religions to deceive you even more.

Then you have to choose me of your free will, even though I stacked the deck against you.

Basically, I don't care if it makes sense to you, because I am God, and I can be as big a dick as I like. Because I am the supreme being and I don't have a religion, so even I don't believe in a God for God – yes, the Christian God is by definition an atheist.

I'm God. I don't care. I don't have to. That's why there is cancer.

August 7, 2011 at 2:27 am |
    • jimtanker

Lionly Lamb,

You do know that all of those "prophesies" that youre talking about are BS dont you?

August 7, 2011 at 5:44 am |
    • John Richardson

@The Lame Lamb or whoever: Nope. You are wrong. Jesus never did anything before his birth to a woman who may have been impregnated by someone other than Joseph, but not by any divinity. Neither that birth, his life nor his death fulfilled any prophesy. At best, they were "retro-fitted" to novel interpretations of prophecy. Just as well, as those prophecies are all bunk anyway. Jesus was not the messiah, and there will never be a messiah. Jesus has done nothing since he was easily brought down and killed by the Romans. Much has of course been done in his name since then. Some good. Lots bad. Vast amounts mutually inconsistent and considerable inherently incoherent. It's been a bad show all based on a myth that should never have taken hold in the first place and which should surely pass into the dustbin of history now.

August 7, 2011 at 7:24 am |
  7. My grandma had the cancer!

But my Uncle Jesse prayers done took it away!
    The doctors said they couldnt explain it!
    The cancers was all gones!
    Granny does line dancing now and sings karaoke!!!
    She drinks moonshine and dont need no chaser!
    Every knee will bow!!!

August 6, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  8. frank

Crom can snap the neck of your puny Jesus like a chicken bone!

August 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • I am the Keymaster. Are You the Gatekeeper?

August 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • KO

Jesus was not and is not a wimp ... He is God, and He could have easily taken Himself off of the cross or prevented it from happening in the first place. He chose to stay there out of love for His people... so that He could take the punishment that we ALL deserve (every human is a sinner and deserves God's righteous wrath). It was the greatest Love in the history of the world that caused Jesus to stay on that cross and die for His people.. it was NOT because He is wimpy or weak. He humbled Himself and took on the form of a man for our sake, so that He could live a perfect life and die in our place. And then, of course, He rose from the dead, defeating death and sin.
      Please, please, read the Bible before you say things like this about Jesus. When read properly, the Bible clearly tells us that Jesus voluntarily died for us, even though He is Almighty God who created the universe, including us. He didn't have to die or set up any plan of salvation for us, but He did, and I for one am grateful for that. I am not trying to pick a fight or be contrary, I promise. It just makes me sad to hear so many people ridiculing Jesus without really knowing who He is or what He is all about.

August 8, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

KO

-------------
      Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, to think logically, to have normal emotional responses, and to behave normally in social situations.
      As the illness continues, psychotic symptoms develop:
      • False beliefs or thoughts that are not based in reality (delusions)
      • Hearing, seeing, or feeling things that are not there (hallucinations)

August 9, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
  9. gupsphoo

Yes we need a president who does nothing but pray in time of crisis. lol

August 6, 2011 at 9:39 pm |
  10. rick

What's next? are we going to sacrifice animal or human lives? In the Old Testament sacrificial burnings were common in an effort to please God! Are you guys for real? The most powerful nation in the world cannot come up with anything better than this? Stop being so hypocritical by using God at your own convenience and start acting responsibly. Stop being greedy, respect every human life and the world will be a much better place to live in.

August 6, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

The Old Testament is No more to be a leavening dread of Today's Enlightened Ones nor should scoffers and ridiculers use the Old Testament to persecute any religious denomination no matter which! A Covanent I do now establish to all who are willingly wanting that "The New Testament" be the only Doctrine to follow and also rightly divides its Word of Scriptures in order to re-align one and all who believe in Christ Jesus to be The King of all the Gods and Goddesses in all the heavens of this world's Heaven!

The Old Testament shall be as parables in word only and should not be parts nor parcels of one's inner-Sight! Thus saith I, The Lionly Lamb of The Gods!

August 6, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Spiffy

The OT says that slavery ok. Do you agree?

August 6, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
    • rick

that's exactly my point...old testament, new testament, future testamentm who cares?...we – as human beings – have modified the contents based on our needs. we even go to war in the name of God? where does God say to kill in his name? and how ignorant and arrogant are we thinking that God will answer our prayers before helping other nations and people in a much worse shape than ours? we pray for rain? how about those thousands of kids pershing in Africa every day?

August 7, 2011 at 1:42 am |
    • jimtanker

So Lionly Lamb, that meand that the ten commandments are out then right?

August 7, 2011 at 5:46 am |
    • Mike

Rick, where are there sacrifices of human's by Christian in the Old Testament?

August 7, 2011 at 9:30 am |
    • Rick

Didn't God ask Moses to sacrifice his son Isaac? We can all believe in whichever God we want. Greeks had several and we look at them with a smile...do they still exist? Will our still be here in a few centuries or will he be replaced by a new one? What makes your God better that the ones from other religions? At personal level you can believe in everything you want, however as a public officer you cannot do what Rick perry is doing. Assuming for a moment that our president is of another religion can you imagine what the nation would think and say if he had called his God's attention? And do you understand the impact on foreign nations? I think this is somehow funny cause Rick perry is not a president but we have way too many characters like him that should not influence the nation like this. While we joke and have fun, someone out there is suffering and dying.

August 7, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Mike
      Your question makes no sense.
      There are no references to Christians at all in the Old Testament becuase Christ didn't exist yet!

August 8, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • Fred1

@Mike: Here’s a sacrifice of a human virgin by pre-chriatians

And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands, 31 whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD’s, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering.” …. 34 When Jephthah returned to his home in Mizpah, who should come out to meet him but his daughter, dancing to the sound of timbrels! She was an only child. Except for her he had neither son nor daughter…. After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin.
      Judges 11: 31, 34, 39

August 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  11. Cleetus Gump, NASCAR fan

Halleyluyah! Rick Perry has dun heeled the ekonimy with hiz prayers! The reseshun is over! ! ! You now all gots jobs and dont pay no taxss and you get yur trailer home back frum the bank ! ! ! Rick Perry has dun faith heeled the ekkonimy ! ! ! God is great !

And everthing is on sale at WalMart ! ! ! Come see the God-fearing people of WalMart on this vidio thangy below. Them thar's Rick Perry's voter base:

August 6, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
  12. JP99

ZEE PRAYERZ! ZEY DO NOTHING!!!! Y NOTHING HAPPENS????

August 6, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
  13. Thanks

Thank you for the prayer, May God forgive us.
    May he be gracious unto us and grant us wisdom.

August 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • Ignorant People

Amen brother!

August 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

I just prayed for the exact opposite (more bad economy) and multiplied it by 309 million. That should be enough to cancel out the other prayers.

May god condemn us.
      May he be ungracious unto us and grant us foolishness.

You're welcome.

August 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  14. Dave

First our congress cannot decide whether or not we should raise the debt ceiling so we can pay the debts that we have ALREADY incurred???????
    Then this nitwit who is the governor of the state of Texas goes "Reverend" on us and leads a prayer service ..

We as a nation are so incredibly lost, that the Governor's best use of his time is to lead a prayer service instead of actually trying to Govern. Instead of actually problem solving... lets pray and hope for divine intervention?? Yeah, how is that working out for us so far?????

I'm afraid that a large percentage of America consists of clueless nitwits.

August 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • solution

Looks like your grey cells has some solution for the debt ceiling, why don't you enlighten us with the short term and long term plan you propose?

August 6, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • The Lionly Lamb of The Gods Does Roar

@ Dave,

It may just be a Truth Dave that people upon the Lands the United States of America are quite possibly clueless about their governments’ running of the myriads of logistics, but to call the clueless “nitwits” is a below the belt jab! To call the governor of Texas also a nitwit is a double whammy on your use of vocalisms’ written Word and I declare you to be a nitty wittless! Your words should be erased for lack of moral scruples' and venerable righteousness' concerns! Try contemplation before you write here and for Christ’s Sake, be civil with your Word!

August 6, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Spiffy

Care to actually counter what he said or do you just want to complain that he is being mean?

August 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  15. Ignorant People

It must suck to be you and have no hope. Silly man, it is the "ignorant people" you are referring to that actually pay their taxes. I have had plenty of prayers answered, and now I pray the God you are making fun of reveals Himself to you and you see what He has done for you by sending YOU a savior, Jesus Christ to die for you and give you life! May hope arise in your sad little heart. He loves you even when you call Him a sky fairy, and did come to save you. Wow, you must be special to Him! 🙂

August 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Peace2All

W T F ?

Peace...

August 6, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • Spiffy

I will pray for the exact opposite of what you just said. Lets see if your God is all loving/forgiving after all.

August 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Evolved DNA

IgnorantPeople..looks like god was busy looking after your needs then and had had no time to look after the starving masses in Africa.. are you happy now? Have you ever heard of coincidence?

August 6, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • Frogist

@Spiffy: Looks like God might be listening to you instead of Gov Perry considering the dive the stock market took today. Maybe we oughta elect you President instead!

August 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  16. Snarky McCookies

They should have tried praying away their ignorance and gullibility instead.

August 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  17. TruthPrevails

"Hands that help are better than lips that pray" Robert G. Ingersoll

August 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  18. jane

Yes, we as a nation are in a very bad situation if our "leaders" are completely out of ideas and are turning to deities with past histories of "problem solving skills" utilizing global floods, the murdering of first-born sons, and sacrificing himself to himself to appease his own anger.

IIt is refreshing to see a politician admit he is a complete hack who can't solve our problems. At least he is honest.

August 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • God

I am also quite fond of going in and killing everybody every now and then, like during the Flood and Sodom and Gomorrah.

Some people say I have a big anger-management problem, but hey, I'm God, what are you going to do about it? Mess with me and I will put another Hitler on the planet, and maybe a few new diseases.

August 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Martin T

It really is sad the way Americans place their hopes on the sky god. Prayer doesn't work, not now, nor ever. Time will tell.

August 6, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  19. Qwerty Elemeno

Why is CNN giving a self-serving political snake like Perry four stories? This whole thing is a total fraud intended to win some votes by chumming up the yokels.

August 6, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
  20. stephen VOWELL

Rick Perry and few hundred thousand belleaving people of faith why focus on the man when the prayer was to GOD!

August 6, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • gozer

You meant,

"Rick Perry and few hundred thousand other stupid ignorant belleving people are all there praying to a non-existent sky fairy who will never do a thing to fix the US credit rating."

No prayer has ever been answered, there is no sky fairy coming to save you, and prayer is not the answer to our debt problems. Stop your useless prayers, get a fscking brain, and pay some taxes.

August 6, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • Ignorant People

Dear Gozer,

August 6, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • Jeebus Wubs Woo ! ! !

Tell us all about those answered prayers. This should be a hoot.

August 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • gozer

Ignorant People, suck my dick, as-shole. Your god is a delusion and you are stupid.

Prove that even one of your prayers has been answered. Be specific. Present substantial evidence. You'll be the first.

August 6, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • gozer

Stephen, you meant:

You meant,

There, fixed your stupid post for you.

August 6, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Frogist

@Stephen VOWELL: I believe the number was 20 thousand, not "a few hundred thousand". Perry or God didn't even fill the stadium for the prayer meeting. Maybe that was the real Response of the day.

August 8, 2011 at 3:22 pm |