home
RSS
My Faith: The uncertainty of a Navy SEAL wife
A recent military funeral at Arlington National Cemetery.
August 10th, 2011

My Faith: The uncertainty of a Navy SEAL wife

Editor's Note: Leeana Tankersley is the author of Found Art: Discovering Beauty in Foreign Places (Zondervan 2009), a spiritual memoir of the year she lived in the Middle East with her Navy SEAL husband.

By Leeana Tankersley, Special to CNN

On Saturday, my husband and I received news of a downed helicopter in Afghanistan with 22 SEALs aboard. I have been a SEAL wife for eight years—our entire relationship taking place during wartime—but we have never experienced this magnitude of loss.

We have been living in the Middle East for three weeks now, recently relocated for our next tour. Here, the fight feels so much closer, the losses more tangible.

I immediately thought of those wives and mothers—a wife and a mother myself—who would be waking up to the tragic news that their loved one was gone. I thought of how many times my husband has stepped onto a helicopter.

Forces in Afghanistan kill militants involved in downing of copter

And I thought back to another tragedy in the SEAL community, the death of Marc Lee in 2006, the first SEAL killed in the Iraq war.

When the news of Marc’s death arrived, my husband—not home two weeks from deployment himself—got on a plane and headed to New York to go meet Marc’s widow, Maya.

The Navy assigned Steve to be her liaison, helping her from the hours after she learned of her husband’s death through the first few weeks of grief, as she navigated innumerable decisions and logistics.

Steve called me a couple times while he was in New York to say things like, “You know I love you, right? You know I really love you.”

And I would say, “I know, honey. I know you do.”

After his trip to New York, he escorted Maya and her mother back to San Diego, where Marc was buried.

Kansas boy wants the world to recognize fallen dad

He sat beside Maya as her official escort on the day she laid her husband to rest. It was the saddest day I can remember.

Hot sun burned my chest red as we sat in the August heat perched atop Point Loma, high above the San Diego harbor, looking out onto the ocean. We sat in rows of wooden folding chairs set up between the graves.

The sight of it all is suffocating, every headstone a father, son, or brother, a mother, sister, or daughter. Each with his or her own story of life and death.

Seated in front of a large picture of Marc and huge sprays of flowers, we waited for the black Suburban to arrive. Fellow SEALs, with quivering chins, brought the casket to the front as bagpipers breathed “Amazing Grace.”

The Suburban arrived, and my handsome husband in his Service Dress Blues emerged, extending his hand for Maya, who stepped out in a black halter dress with a flowing skirt. Dark red rigatoni ringlets framed her large sunglasses.

A widow at 25.

Maya grasped my husband’s arm as they made their way to the front row. An officer knelt down in front of Maya and presented her with the flag from Marc’s casket. “On behalf of a grateful nation,” he began, reciting the words no woman would ever want to hear.

Later, he told me that the SEALs present at the grave took turns pushing a Trident (the SEAL insignia) pin into the side of Marc’s casket. Before it was lowered into the ground, my husband knelt down next to Maya as she said her final words to Marc.

Marc’s death and the death of the 22 SEALs in Saturday’s tragedy speak to the utter lack of assurances life offers us.

No matter how much I believe in and trust God, no matter how spiritual I am, no matter how much I pray on my husband’s behalf, I have no guarantees that God will spare him.

Does my believing make his job any less dangerous? Does it bring back those we’ve lost? Or prevent another devastating loss like Saturday’s from happening?

No. I have to make peace with the fact that even my most fervent prayers may not spare a soul.

So does my believing change anything?

Yes, though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death, he is with us. This is the truth I hold on to, the bit of faith I can cling to. In our greatest pain, he sees us. May that sliver of hope somehow matter to all those who grieving today.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Leeana Tankersley.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Death • God

1. J.W

I don't understand why when most of the worlds democracies basically never go to war we have to go to war to protect our freedom.

August 11, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • William Demuth

Because We go to war to protect THEIR freedom.

August 11, 2011 at 11:41 am |
    • Reality

Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[3][7] and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.

– The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943[1][2]) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).[3] His trial began on 3 June 2011.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

August 11, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  2. Marilyn

@Faith ~ Are you addicted, insane, or Both?? Killing is Wrong no matter what the reason or excuse. That, my dear, is why this world is a living h ell ... all these murders & bad choices of folks.

August 11, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • William Demuth

Marilyn, don't waste your time, Faith is a paranoid schizophrenic troll who lives in some hellhole world of delusions about the rapture.

She has dozens of troll names.

August 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
  3. Marilyn

@Reality ~ There are still LOTS of KKK in the "Bible Belt", along (which includes them) many (mostly?) racist, ignorant, & uneducated folks. It's a shame. Some of our "officials" are involved. I have friends of every race, religion, & IQ (I've lived both coasts & in between) ..... BUT I cannot invite my friends 'home' due to it being burned down as has happened to ppl here. LOL, I believe this is part of the reason so many tornadoes, deaths & crops ruined in the area, & Texas' droughts and fires. Humans, on the whole, are very hateful, self-centered, non-moral, ugly creatures.

August 11, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Reality

Humans, on the whole, are very hateful, self-centered, non-moral, ugly creatures. One assumes that Marilyn is human and therefore fits the characterization.

August 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Reality

"Humans, on the whole, are very hateful, self-centered, non-moral, ugly creatures" as noted by Marilyn

One assumes that Marilyn is human and therefore fits the characterization.

August 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
  4. Faith

Killing enemy combatants in battle and executing certain types of criminals are lawful and a right thing t do. American soldiers were made naive by liberals; that's why some of them get into depression. The liberals make a nation weak.

August 11, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • William Demuth

I am sure the Taliban felt Allah was in agreement with them when they murdered the SEALS

It seems all you religious types feel YOUR imaginary God can justify murder, when the other guys Imaginary God cannot.

Frankly I loathe anyone whose God condones murder.

August 11, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • Reality

And the "red-neck" lady of many names continues to spout her inanity.

August 11, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  5. Marilyn

@JB~The killing of another human being IS MURDER no matter how you wish to twist it around. Inflicted death=murder.
    Why do you think so many of our soldiers come home twisted psychologically? It's because what they've witnessed and acts they've had to commit against other human beings.
    I, too, pray for they quick & safe return of our soldiers. I've in-laws in various branches & it tears my soul up for All involved.

August 11, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  6. Marilyn

@AndyLing ~ Yes! "Religion" MUST be put aside to make strides towards a better world & people. Unfortunately, until people/places continue to be wiped out w/natural disasters (which mark my words, will be coming more frequently & globally) & wars, there is no hope for global freedom & folks KNOWING Love, pure love, & serving others. The end of the world, as we know it, is closer every moment. Sorry, but "I" have Never Rejoiced at Anyone's death.
    @JesusFan ~ What you believe & how you live your life is your choice. God has given us all freedom of choice: good/bad, right/wrong, God/Evil. The Holy Spirit/Comforter has ALWAYS been here for those which TRULY walk with God. It's not a matter of picking & choosing verses from the Bible. Jews & Muslims follow Gods commands far closer than most Christians I've known. It's the Christians which pick, choose, over-look, & flat out Ignore from the Bible or are too lazy to research. THIS, my dear, is why the path is so wide and the gate is sooo narrow. This is why Jesus (a prophet) is going to denounce so many despite their pleas. The Son of Man will be Christ. Jesus NEVER stated HE, himself, would return.

August 11, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  7. William Demuth

I seem to recall a certain set of rules about how Christians were supposed to live.

Perhaps you should review them?

If we are in fact all children of God, then killing our fellow humans must be offensive to him.

That is unless the Muslims are children of a lesser God or even the creation of something more sinister.

As for myself, I mourn for you, as well as those you have been instrumental in killing.

Perhaps peace is the solution you seek?

August 11, 2011 at 9:06 am |
    • jb

actually genius, if you did any amount of research you would find that the bible did not not say thou shall not kill until it was mistranslated, it actually says thou shall not MURDER. What these men are doing is certainly not murder, they are preventing the murder of innocent people by killing an evil human.

August 11, 2011 at 9:23 am |
    • William Demuth

Thanks for recognizing my genius.

The gentlemen is question were in someone elses country, not in their own,

They were primarily Christian, engaging in hostilities in a Muslim country during an occupation that has lasted almost a decade

August 11, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Uncouth Swain

"How can one claim that is not murder? The people they were chasing were glorified drug dealers with a fourth grade education."

What does it matter what your opinion of their education is? And sure many ppl can claim something is murder...many ppl claim they understand the fundamentals of evolution or the physics of a black hole. Of course they really don't..but they can still make the claim.

August 11, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • William Demuth

Uncouth Swain

Questioning the education of the men we are trying to kill makes a lot of sense. It keeps us alive if we do it right

I remember discusssing that with a great guy named Lnce Cpl Samuel Cherman two days before he went to Beirut back in 1983. He didn't have enough respect for his enemy, and I cautioned him that was dangerous.

I also remember discussing it with him at his funeral a few days later after carrying his sister away from his grave.

This war is STILL the SAME war Sam died in, and we STILL play the same games with the lives of kids.

We have ZERO intention of winning this war, so ALL the lives lost are in vain.

If we had left last month, these SEALS would be alive, and if we had refused to engage 27 years ago, I would be going out for a beer with Sam tonight.

Alas the Armchair warriors STILL want to tangle with people on the other end of the world.

August 11, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  8. PJR

Leeana, you sound like a fantastic wife and partner to your Navy SEAL husband. But it should not be necessary for anyone's loved ones to go to war. I have been in this position and anyone who reads history will know that conflict is only solved by negotiations.

August 11, 2011 at 8:59 am |
  9. andy ling

While we mourn the deaths of our soldiers, the enemy rejoices for their revenge.
    We did the same a few months ago when their satanic leader was slain by ours.

We live in the throes of our end times as a humanity. It saddens me to no end.
    To become whatever one wants, one makes choices. Terrorist, Navy Seal, Rabbi, Priest, whatever.
    The point I am making is, you choose your own making or undoing. No one makes it for you.

Everything resides in your head and all of your actions are influenced by your learning and
    environment. We are too wide apart as a humanity. This is our ultimate problem as a species.
    We must put religion aside when we interact with each other. But this is impossible and therein
    lies our demise. It is the sad but true state of affairs.

August 11, 2011 at 8:17 am |
    • Frogist

@andy ling: I don't think it is as hopeless as your post makes it out to be. I think we can put differences like religion aside quite easily. If we don't approach another person looking solely at differences or with an agenda of anything but creating a relationship, I think harmony is possible. Most people I know do not know what religious persuausion, or even race heritage I am, and I don't usually volunteer it. If we talk about sports or food or family, the things we have in common, and create a bond through that, religious enmity becomes more difficult to foster. It is possible. It just depends on how much each person is willing to do that.
      I have to say though that as long as we use terms like "satanic" to describe another person and think we are in the "end times", it frames conflicts in the same religious way that you say, if we could put aside, would save us.

August 11, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • William Demuth

Andy

It is sad, but you are probably correct.

Religion will not save us, it shall kill us all, probably sooner than later.

August 11, 2011 at 10:23 am |
  10. Reality

And why did these SEALS pay the ultimate price for their country?

What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror?

The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed.

Then we can talk about "peaceful" Islam. Until then, no male Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................

August 11, 2011 at 7:32 am |
    • ashy57

Reality all what you mentioned not reality you need to learn more you need to know more about islam till you do that shut up pls.

August 11, 2011 at 7:49 am |
    • ladydi

you summed it up perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 11, 2011 at 7:59 am |
    • William Demuth

SOOO

You want the Muslims to admit their faith is based on a myth (Gabriels)

Are you prepared to admit your faith is ALSO based on a myth?

If not, you are nothing more than a bigot and war monger.

August 11, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • Reality

Only for the those interested in a religious update:

1. origin: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20E1EFE35540C7A8CDDAA0894DA404482

“New Torah For Modern Minds

Abraham, the Jewish patriarch, probably never existed. Nor did Moses. The entire Exodus story as recounted in the Bible probably never occurred. The same is true of the tumbling of the walls of Jericho. And David, far from being the fearless king who built Jerusalem into a mighty capital, was more likely a provincial leader whose reputation was later magnified to provide a rallying point for a fledgling nation.

Such startling propositions – the product of findings by archaeologists digging in Israel and its environs over the last 25 years – have gained wide acceptance among non-Orthodox rabbis. But there has been no attempt to disseminate these ideas or to discuss them with the laity – until now.

The United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, which represents the 1.5 million Conservative Jews in the United States, has just issued a new Torah and commentary, the first for Conservatives in more than 60 years. Called "Etz Hayim" ("Tree of Life" in Hebrew), it offers an interpretation that incorporates the latest findings from archaeology, philology, anthropology and the study of ancient cultures. To the editors who worked on the book, it represents one of the boldest efforts ever to introduce into the religious mainstream a view of the Bible as a human rather than divine docu-ment. “

2. Jesus was an illiterate Jewish peasant/carpenter/simple preacher man who suffered from hallucinations (or “mythicizing” from P, M, M, L and J) and who has been characterized anywhere from the Messiah from Nazareth to a mythical character from mythical Nazareth to a ma-mzer from Nazareth (Professor Bruce Chilton, in his book Rabbi Jesus). An-alyses of Jesus’ life by many contemporary NT scholars (e.g. Professors Ludemann, Crossan, Borg and Fredriksen, ) via the NT and related doc-uments have concluded that only about 30% of Jesus' sayings and ways noted in the NT were authentic. The rest being embellishments (e.g. miracles)/hallucinations made/had by the NT authors to impress various Christian, Jewish and Pagan sects.

The 30% of the NT that is "authentic Jesus" like everything in life was borrowed/plagiarized and/or improved from those who came before. In Jesus' case, it was the ways and sayings of the Babylonians, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, Hitt-ites, Canaanites, OT, John the Baptizer and possibly the ways and sayings of traveling Greek Cynics.

earlychristianwritings.com/theories.html

For added "pizzazz", Catholic theologians divided god the singularity into three persons and invented atonement as an added guilt trip for the "pew people" to go along with this trinity of overseers. By doing so, they made god the padre into god the "filicider".

Current RCC problems:

Pedophiliac priests, an all-male, mostly white hierarchy, atonement theology and original sin!!!!

3., Luther, Calvin, Joe Smith, Henry VIII, Wesley, Roger Williams, the Great “Babs” et al, founders of Christian-based religions or combination religions also suffered from the belief in/hallucinations of "pretty wingie thingie" visits and "prophecies" for profits analogous to the myths of Catholicism (resurrections, apparitions, ascensions and immacu-late co-nceptions).

Current problems:
      Adulterous preachers, pedophiliac clerics, "propheteering/ profiteering" evangelicals and atonement theology,

3. Mohammed was an illiterate, womanizing, lust and greed-driven, warmongering, hallucinating Arab, who also had embellishing/hallucinating/plagiarizing scribal biographers who not only added "angels" and flying chariots to the koran but also a militaristic agenda to support the plundering and looting of the lands of non-believers.

This agenda continues as shown by the ma-ssacre in Mumbai, the as-sas-sinations of Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh, the conduct of the seven Muslim doctors in the UK, the 9/11 terrorists, the 24/7 Sunni suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the 24/7 Shiite suicide/roadside/market/mosque bombers, the Islamic bombers of the trains in the UK and Spain, the Bali crazies, the Kenya crazies, the Pakistani “koranics”, the Palestine suicide bombers/rocketeers, the Lebanese nutcases, the Taliban nut jobs, the Ft. Hood follower of the koran, and the Filipino “koranics”.

And who funds this muck and stench of terror? The warmongering, Islamic, Shiite terror and torture theocracy of Iran aka the Third Axis of Evil and also the Sunni "Wannabees" of Saudi Arabia.

Current crises:

The Sunni-Shiite blood feud and the warmongering, womanizing (11 wives), hallucinating founder.

5. Hinduism (from an online Hindu site) – "Hinduism cannot be described as an organized religion. It is not founded by any individual. Hinduism is God centered and therefore one can call Hinduism as founded by God, because the answer to the question ‘Who is behind the eternal principles and who makes them work?’ will have to be ‘Cosmic power, Divine power, God’."

The caste/laborer system, reincarnation and cow worship/reverence are problems when saying a fair and rational God founded Hinduism."

Current crises:

The caste system and cow worship/reverence.

6. Buddhism- "Buddhism began in India about 500 years before the birth of Christ. The people living at that time had become disillusioned with certain beliefs of Hinduism including the caste system, which had grown extremely complex. The number of outcasts (those who did not belong to any particular caste) was continuing to grow."

"However, in Buddhism, like so many other religions, fanciful stories arose concerning events in the life of the founder, Siddhartha Gautama (fifth century B.C.):"

Archaeological discoveries have proved, beyond a doubt, his historical character, but apart from the legends we know very little about the circu-mstances of his life. e.g. Buddha by one legend was supposedly talking when he came out of his mother's womb.

Bottom line: There are many good ways of living but be aware of the hallucinations, embellishments, lies, and myths surrounding the founders and foundations of said rules of life.

Then, apply the Five F rule: "First Find the Flaws, then Fix the Foundations". And finally there will be religious peace and religious awareness in the world!!!!!

August 11, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
  11. JesusFan

My thoughts & prayers for the men & women serving our country & the families who have lost their loved one(s). I do not think religion is to be argued over. But I do just want to say I believe in trinity...if you read the 'whole' bible & don't just pick certain scriptures to try to prove otherwise or to compromise the truth. Jesus is Christ. I am Christian & proud of it. God sent His Son Jesus that we may have everlasting life...and when Jesus-Christ ressurrected (HE LIVES) He sent a comforter, the Holy Spirit to guide us until His return. He sits on the right hand of the Father & when God is ready for His people He will send His Son Jesus. Jesus, The Lord is my strength & my joy. HOPE*FAITH*LOVE. 🙂

August 11, 2011 at 6:46 am |
  12. Marilyn

PS: Contrary to popular belief, Jesus is not The Christ. Even in Holy Bible he states, "It is you who says that." I thank God, my Holy Bible, & a Muslim friend for pointing that out. That said, even he, this 'guru/master/teacher/spiritual advisor' states all these jihidists are going straight to h ell. Americans & Christians, please wake up & study your King James Version Holy Bibles. It's astonishing how men have changed words & meaning with the many others on market. Jesus led us straight to God, His Commandments, & to Love & Endure until the end. Those of you worshipping Trinity are in for ugly future. It's even predicted Jesus turning you away & saying he never knew you. This Moment is all that's guranteed in life. Don't wait too long.

August 11, 2011 at 5:53 am |
    • scndnv

Okay. Have a banana.

August 11, 2011 at 6:37 am |
    • Reality

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians during the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven ??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
      ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen

August 11, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  13. Marilyn

First of all, Everything in life happens for a reason. One may not immediately, or possibly never, understand unjustness, deaths, etc., but there IS a reason. God does hear all of our prayers; He may just give an answer which you don't like. As Jesus reiterates in the Holy Bible as being most important, "Worship God Alone, Follow His Commandments (aka, thou shall not kill), & to love your neighbor (aka everyone in the world) as you love yourself." Todays 'Christians' do not know nor have they read/studied their Bibles. Worshipping the Trinity is blasphme. Many 'Saviours' have been sent by God. Study the OT. Jesus came to bring us back to God ALONE .. and to LOVE. Unfortunately, mans heart is stone. More tragic, America IS going to fail due to our losing site of God, our arrogance, our many idols, etc. lol, Idols even predicted in OT that piece of wood (cross) would be called Father & Mother (Mary) would be carved of stone...culmination of both Christians & Catholics. My heart cries for the millions of lives lost in wars, genocides, etc. That said, until the people of the world UNITE & LOVE ALL, Wars will continue. We're in such debt because the wars, greed, and because the big bonuses for enlistees when needed. Unfortunately, many of our military will be in the unemployment lines with many americans next yr. Sharia Law has already been enforced in NY when one of our judges wouldn't protect the woman who wanted restraining order on husband; judge didn't grant. THAT, on USA soil, is Scary. The best translation of Quran I've found was @ submission.org. Tragically, the translator was asassinated here in US. Jesus is quoted several times in Bible, "Why do you call me good? There is none good but One, and that is God." I challenge everyone to read: Deut. 4:35, 6:4-5; Matt 19:17; Mark 12:29; Luke 18:19; Isaiah 53; Jer 2:26-27. God warned us of not checking facts for selves; another Great American Pitfall. Most simply listen to parents, preachers, pastors, etc, & don't learn TRUTH for themselves. LOST,MISGUIDED NATION

August 11, 2011 at 5:31 am |
    • Cristian Lopez

Wow. I am deeply moved by your words.

August 11, 2011 at 5:48 am |
    • scndnv

You seem incredibly intelligent.

August 11, 2011 at 6:38 am |
    • BG

" until the people of the world UNITE & LOVE ALL"

Good shrooms. Wow. Wanna do it in my tent?

August 11, 2011 at 6:47 am |
    • Reality

Some other views:

Assuming there is a god:

As per the famous contemporary theologian, Edward Schillebeeckx, God is not omniscient. Please read, pause and contemplate the following by Schillebeeckx:

Church: The Human Story of God,
      Crossroad, 1993, p.91 (softcover)

"Christians (et al) must give up a perverse, unhealthy and inhuman doctrine of predestination without in so doing making God the great scapegoat of history."

"Nothing is determined in advance: in nature there is chance and determinism; in the world of human activity there is possibility of free choices. Therefore the historical future is not known even to God, otherwise we and our history would be merely a puppet show in which God holds the strings. For God, too, history is an adventure, an open history for and of men and women."

And then there is this:

Free Will and Future are inherent to all the thinking beings in the Universe. This being the case, it is not possible to alter life with prayers. Statistically, your request might come true but it is simply the result of the variability/randomness of Nature.
      So put down your rosaries and prayer beads and stop worshiping/revering cows or bowing to Mecca five times a day. Instead work hard at your job, take care of aging parents, volunteer at a soup kitchen, donate to charities and the poor and continue to follow the proper rules of your religion or any good rules of living as gracious and good human beings.

August 11, 2011 at 7:43 am |
    • Frogist

@Marilyn: Do you not see the hypocrisy in calling for tolerance and love for all while attacking Catholics as blasphemers? Or maybe you're really a worshipper of Janus?

August 11, 2011 at 10:49 am |
  14. ThePostMan

They are Light Warrior. Warrior of God for better humanity and understanding. God Bless America.

August 11, 2011 at 5:14 am |
  15. ashy57

GEN STANLY MCCHRYSTAL as a professional warrior knows that using of power not always the right option to solve problems. my heart breakes for every body lost his love one .for madam Maya widow of Marc lee, for every iraqy widows those who lost thier husbends also.stop this crazy wars every where make the world more peacful .we as human being deserve better world

August 11, 2011 at 3:29 am |
  16. Faith

God bless the American military(who do not swear). Nothing is in vain. Because of the American sacrifice and bravery, the entire world including Muslims will get freedom and human rights along with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The contribution of good Christian Amricans and its beauty is forever.

August 11, 2011 at 3:20 am |
    • scndnv

Yeah, God bless the meatheads.

August 11, 2011 at 6:39 am |
    • Faith

True believers in God get no addiction. Atheists go insane without reasons.

August 11, 2011 at 10:41 am |
  17. Kahn

Is not it time to stop the war and save the lives of innocents ????????

August 11, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  18. JL

@ Fred S:I guess it's just impossible for people to refrain from posting conspiracy theories and political angles on articles such as this one...have some respect and save your jibber-jabber for The Onion. As for Leeana, thank you and your husband for the time you and your family have sacrificed for our country, it does not go unnoticed; and thank you for a beautifully written article.

August 11, 2011 at 1:53 am |
  19. Fred S.

Wasn't Mr Eisenhower secretly in charge of the domestic psycological operation known as the McCarthy Era from his post as the President of Columbia University during the Korean War? Maybe it's still secret. Him and his 87 communists at the State Dept. Later, Eisenhower wanted to pose as someone against that sort of thing. Bush probably had a file on it and thought he could do it too. Similar IQ level.

August 11, 2011 at 1:42 am |
  20. Obama Sold Out

GEN STANLEY MCCHRYSTAL IRAQ WAR COMMANDER
    from June 15, 2009, to June 23, 2010

Now here is a Real Commander with Courage and Tenacity. Why are the Great ones Swept away?

August 11, 2011 at 12:56 am |