home
RSS
Kelly Preston: Scientology got me through my son's death
Kelly Preston has found a formula for staying grounded: Scientology.
August 18th, 2011

Kelly Preston: Scientology got me through my son's death

By Stephen M. Silverman, PEOPLE.com

(PEOPLE.com) - While her husband, accomplished pilot John Travolta, may fly through the air with the greatest of ease, Kelly Preston apparently has found a formula for staying grounded.

Asked how she coped with the death of 16-year-old son Jett from a fatal seizure in 2009, Preston, 48, tells Health magazine for its September issue: "To be honest, [it was] the Scientology Center. I don't know if I would have made it through without it."

She adds about life's lessons she's learned, "Don't sweat the small things. Love your kids like it could be the last moment."

Mother to daughter Ella Bleu, 11, and son Benjamin, born last November, Preston says: "I've always wanted to be a mother, ever since I was 11."

Read the full story here.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Celebrity • Scientology

1. اختصاص فضا

That's very instructional blog...

November 13, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  2. Drip Feed Blasts

What a truly good blog post...

October 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  3. gb bilder eu

I couldnt think you are more right

September 27, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  4. EnergyBeing3

Um, no Kelly, ... BRAINWASHING simply redirected your attention so you weren't allowed to fully grieve your dead child. WOW, people are so gullible and easily distracted from reality. I think I'll start up a religion based on stuff people cant prove (I have an awesome imagination) and make them sign a TRILLION year soul contract of allegiance so I can control them. They'll be my zombie followers that I will separate from their sane, logical families. OK hurry and sign up!

August 30, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  5. Tammy

"Don't sweat the small things...." WOW! Scientology considers death of a child as "small things". Scientologists have ALL been proven to be WHACKO'S, look at their new leader Tom Cruise. Their children should be taken away from them!

August 29, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  6. SHRIKE

I've read through some of the posts and I feel the need to also add to the diarhea. Hubbard 1st of all was not a bad author. He wrote in the same vein as Heinlen. Battlefield Earth (not the ret@rded movie) is an amazing piece of science fiction. My theory on dianteics is ol' Ron new how gullible people with religious inclinations really are, so he wrote the piece as an experiment to show that some people will believe anything if you tell them that it's true. It was a great joke by an atheist played on religious idiots.

August 23, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Nonimus

While I might agree with you to a point (I liked Battlefield Earth, the book, but he was not comparable to Heinlein,) but Hubbard took it much, much further than just playing a joke. If half the stories about what goes on in that organization, the group as a whole not just the Org, are true, then it is not just deceptive and greedy, but also dangerous and damaging to many individuals.

August 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Free

Battlefield Earth was way too long. The story stopped being interesting a third of the way through.

August 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
  7. John

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSvqMBj-ig&w=640&h=360]

August 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • .....

This SPAM and complete junk don't bother viewing instead click the report abuse link to get rid of this pathetic TROLL!

August 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • ntr

Hey Tammy,
      Can't u read, that she meant not sweating the small stuff refers in any way to the death of a child, is a real distorted way of analizing the sentence, I do not believe in Scientology but that is clearly not what she meant, try putting on glasses and read it again, ntr

August 29, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  8. Naomi

Hollywood = Babylon

August 23, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  9. Jer

Faith? Faith in what?? A science fiction story with no hope for eternal life?? I live near these people and I can tell you, John is ALWAYS hosting Scientology events in Ocala, FL. Just had 1 a month or so ago.

August 22, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
    • Nonimus

"I live near these people and I can tell you, John is ALWAYS hosting Scientology events in Ocala, FL. Just had 1 a month or so ago."
      And this has what to do with your point?

August 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  10. person

....faith, girl....you're bonkers. unless you're trying to prove a point and you're being sarcastic, just to prove that idiotic babble can be taken seriously so easily.

August 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  11. walt

Likewise, alcoholism helped me make it through my divorce 10 years ago.

August 22, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • graciegal

Ha! Love it....

August 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
  12. Howard

Excellent Kelly, I also go by the same philosophy of loving my children (three girls) as much as possible here and now. I commend you for your ability to strive on despite the anguish of loss. Do well, Howard.

August 22, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  13. Naomi

Happiness of villains is evil. It ALWAYS creates victims.

August 21, 2011 at 3:07 am |
    • Free

Plenty of happy televangelists and profit-oriented pastors out there, and they sure do have their share of victims.

August 22, 2011 at 12:38 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, Christians are never happy on this planet of evil and suffering victims. Only air-heads seek any kind of happiness on this planet, especially the Americans. Seeking happiness has been wrong and stupid all along, Americans. Christians have joy from Jesus and continue to rescue and serve mankind for His sake until He returns.

August 22, 2011 at 12:42 am |

Naomi
      And they call atheists nihilistic! It's sad that you can't find happiness in this world, not even in nature or children, I presume? I hope that one day you will before it's too late.

August 22, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, happiness comes from a thankful heart. We live in a world where happiness comes when one seeks another's well-being.

August 22, 2011 at 11:39 am |

Naomi
      "happiness comes from a thankful heart. We live in a world where happiness comes when one seeks another's well-being."

I can totally agree with that as an atheist as a belief in any god isn't necessary in being thankful and caring. Have you asked gay people if discriminating against them would help their well-being because I don't think they see it as such?

August 23, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, if you don't give thanks to God but to the air, you're just plain stupid. The well-ness of gays is getting proper education, never getting encouragement to continue the evil, as their lifestyle is from a way of thinking.

August 23, 2011 at 2:55 am |

Naomi
      I give thanks to that which I feel is responsible for whatever good fortune I receive, and since I see no evidence for any God, he doesn't make the list.

You want to 're-educate' gays, eh? Sounds like brainwashing to me.

Finally, calling me stupid was uncalled for. I thought we were having a fairly civilized conversation.

August 23, 2011 at 11:16 pm |
  14. Gal

So true, I'm from Israel and Scientology is the greatest thing ever happend to me. Now I'm successful and happy.Very recommended

August 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Barfy Spewsalot

L Ron Hubbard was an American Nazi who thought Hitler was a great guy. So Gal what do you think about your Nazi Religion now?

August 21, 2011 at 9:11 am |
    • SecularTruther

I never heard that Hubbard was a Nazi. Though he is known for saying the easiest way to make money is to start a religion, was a science fiction author, was a well known pedophile that sailed around the world with little boys as cast mates and after years and years of being apart of the scientology church you hear the story of Xenu the intergalactic emperor and how he created depression (ironically again Hubbard was a sci fi writer). I've also heard he was a member of the illuminati which if the secret society exists (which I very much doubt), he would've been a satan worshiper that created scientology to anger god and the most religious people.

August 22, 2011 at 12:56 am |
    • bumcheek7

Hubbard was close friends with rocket scientist Jack Parsons, even stole from him and took off with his wife. Jack called Aleister Crowley father, and they lived together (Hubbard, not Crowley) in Pasadena,close to JPL , Cal Tech AND the 'Ordo Templi Orientis' lodge. $cientology has roots in Luciferian beliefs – not even a question.

August 22, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Nonimus

I had always considered L. Ron Hubbard to be of questionable mental stability and perhaps too believing of his own fiction, but a Nazi? a pedophile? an occultist (other than Scientology)? Where did all this come from?

August 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  15. Rohan K

Scientology is indeed evil. When have you ever heard that any religion doesn't want ppl to know what "really" goes on.

August 20, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Free

It's like what they say about the meat industry: Most people don't know what really goes on at the meat packing plant, and those who do are either the ones making a profit from the business, or vegetarians. Works with religion pretty much the same way. Most of the faith consumers out there really don't have any idea what they're really being fed.

August 22, 2011 at 12:46 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, no, the difference is between the Truth and falsehoods. Christianity is the Truth and all others are false.

August 22, 2011 at 12:48 am |

Naomi
      Lots of people claim to have the 'truth' when it comes to religion, but none can provide objective proof to support their claims. You can say that Christianity, your version of it I presume and not all versions, is the one and only Truth but, without proof, these are only words floating in the wind.

I don't claim to know for absolute certainty that there is no God, but I can't claim to know for certain that Nirvana isn't real, or reincarnation, or the Greek gods, or voodoo, or even scientology. All have equal validity by nature of their all having equal lack of proof to support them. The only thing that gives some of them a leg up these days is popularity, which reminds me of your argument against Hollywood.

August 22, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • bumcheek7

Religion? $cientology is a psycho cult and we know why 'Johnny' can't leave. If Jett hadn't died, would they have had another child? He will be mind-controlled and have 'Replacement Baby' issues. XENU will fix all of that though. I better stop or I'll be an SP and Fair Game !.

August 22, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, all you need is honest ob-ser-vation. Our world is horrible including my own nature. I instinctly know I need salvation. There is a news God loves mankind and sent a Savior for us. All I need is trusting Him and live a new life He gives me. The Bible is incomparably outstanding over anything in this world. Other religions put the responsibility of salvation upon the follower himself. The answer is obvious. I'd rather trust Jesus than my own ability.

August 22, 2011 at 11:56 am |

Naomi
      Are you sure you are being honest in your observation? Just because the world can sometimes be horrible (it isn't always, you know? Sad that you don't see that!) and that people are flawed only means that we need to try harder, not wait for some superhero to swoop down and save us like damsels in distress.

Read some other ancient books and other scriptures and you'll see that the Bible is pretty standard and that God acts just as emotionally as his Greek and other ancient counterparts. The myths in the Bible are similar to, and often copied from, those of neighboring peoples, and the laws are fairly universal.

If other religions put the responsibility of salvation upon the follower himself then so does Christianity. People have to choose to accept Jesus first before he saves them, right? Whose, but the individual's, responsibility is that? Jesus will certainly not save anyone for free, yes? You have to 'choose to accept him as your personal savior' first and, even after that, good works are expected of you in order for it to be known that the 'saved' is actually 'saved', and not just faking it. Christians talk as if this is different than any other religion or self-help program, but it isn't. It's still the person doing all their own saving themselves. The effect will be exactly the same whether there is a real Christ to accept as savior, or not.

August 23, 2011 at 12:04 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, you are not seeing the victims as they really are. Christians have been most active in helping the neediest of the needy throughout history everywhere in the world. As Noah's descendants, we all have similar memories but only the Hebrews kept everything accurately in details. Any records and books are junks comaparing to the Bible. Trusting Jesus is different from trusting self. If you study religions, you'll know. Only Christianity has assurance of salvation; others don't.

August 23, 2011 at 2:52 am |

Naomi
      Arguing for one original universal truth doesn't prove a thing. Maybe the Hebrews got it wrong too, and it's the Chinese, or the Aztecs who got it accurate. It's just your hope that the Bible is more true than any other mythology.

August 23, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, ar-cha-eology and all serious a-ca-de-mia proved the Bible as factual whereas myths are proven to be worthless tales. If you keep reading anti-God trash fictions, you'll never get the facts of the matter, and staying in ignorance will be your choice. Read the Bible itself starting from the Gospels. By the way, I usually don't reply to lengthy letters though I have all the answers. Try again somewhere else. Make your letter for me short.

August 23, 2011 at 10:54 am |

Naomi
      Actually, archaeology has found no historical evidence for anything prior to the House of David, and even that seems to be on much smaller a scale than the Bible implies. It's about the same for the other ancient myths, although they seem to have made some promising discoveries in Spain that may be the source of the Atlantis story. I don't read much fiction these days as my interests have shifted back to academic works, but I have read the Bible. Just because I tend to disagree with what you read in it doesn't mean that I haven't read it too.

Seriously, you have ALL the answers?!

August 23, 2011 at 11:10 pm |
  16. mekkii

Scientology is Satanic – there is NOTHING Godly abount it.

August 20, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  17. Faith

Hollywood – the biggest polluter of the American society and the world. Human creativity is great but it gets corrupt. Hollywood needs repentance. Whatever religion they claim, their only god is their filthy self.

August 20, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • Free

Are you saying that Christians are better for being uncreative?

August 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
    • Naomi

@Free, humans are creative by nature, being created in the image of God. Being creative is a neutral thing but mankind has moral responsibility as with everything else. We see Satan have much control of Hollywood by now. But people choose that way. The people of Noah's time and the ancient Babylonians and Assyrians were quite creative but they are all gone. Creativity, as wonderful as it is, must not be worshipped as something absolute. We humans have tendency to adore anything but only God must be worshipped.

August 21, 2011 at 3:14 am |

Naomi
      How is being creative a 'neutral' thing? Don't you have to 'do' in order to be creative?

Hollywood is in the business of entertaining for profit. Christian filmmakers have their own industry, also quite profitable. They have more alike then you can probably imagine. Same for the Christian music and book industries. Perhaps there's just too much compet.ition out there for Hollywood to produce the kind of inspirational movies you'd like to see, or are you just upset that movies that you don't like actually get made?

One last thought for tonight: I couldn't care less about stars or celebrities either, but why is it necessary to worship anything?

TTFN, and have a good night.

August 22, 2011 at 1:04 am |
    • Naomi

@Free, any human business means for profit. People got to eat and enjoy from the labor of their hands. I mean the natural tendency of art or any human enterprises. It gets corrupt especially where sensuality is involved. At the end, the fallen humanity has nothing to shock the audience except for their body parts and perversions and explosions. The whole purpose has been morally wrong in applying the talents and skills in Hollywood. Humans worship anything that is excellent – it's our nature. But we must worship and glorify God alone because He alone is worthy and the Giver of everything excellent. It's duh to bow down to a palace instead to the king.

August 22, 2011 at 1:12 am |
    • Bizarre

@Naomi - "Humans worship anything that is excellent – it's our nature."

I do not 'worship' anything or anyone. Perhaps I admire, respect, esteem, enjoy, or even defer to superior expertise at times, but 'worship', no.

August 22, 2011 at 1:23 am |

Naomi
      "any human business means for profit."
      But, don't people have a right to question the levels of profit Christian entrepreneurs are making off of marketing their Lord and Savior?

"At the end, the fallen humanity has nothing to shock the audience except for their body parts and perversions and explosions."
      Lots of body parts and shock value in the movie The Passion, but not many conservative Christians seemed to complain, even when the audience demographics came out and low teen boys interested in the violence and gore were shown to be the top repeat viewers. The same kids who liked seeing the Saw series of films. It seems that Christians like a good bit of violence and destruction if it involves Christ or the Rapture, things they like.

"It's duh to bow down to a palace instead to the king."
      I'm American, I don't bow down to any king. We fought a war to free us from that, or don't you know anything of our history?

August 22, 2011 at 9:42 am |
    • Naomi

@Bizzare, I was answering to Free. Get the con-text. @Free, Christians usually do charity works. "The Passion" was a docu-mentary since it is a historic fact. We never enjoyed it but endured it thinking about real Jesus. I don't know the "Saw" series. Movies used to have violence in order to show reality but over time the showing cruelty itself became pleasures. Disgusting. The reason decent Christians don't watch much. There will be Judgment Day for human cruelty. The story of a king is a pa-ra-ble. You Americans are too anti-authority. I'm glad the police is fully armed there.

August 22, 2011 at 11:51 am |

Naomi
      "1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
      2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:1-4

Anything given by Christians and claimed in taxes, or for the purpose of proselytizing, which cannot be 'in secret', is not charity by Jesus' definition then. Basically, whatever giving you know someone has done is disqualified. That cuts a mighty big swath through a lot of stuff that Christians call 'charity'.

The Passion cannot be confirmed as historical fact.

Do you consider the ill treatment of gays as 'cruel'?

August 22, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • Naomi

@Free, Christians don't brag about giving charity. Tax cuts are so that people will give and help more. US started out as Christian, remember? The c-ru-ci-fi-x-ion and death of Jesus is historical and factual. Gays are ill-treated by their supporters. What they need is proper education, not condoning.

August 23, 2011 at 2:47 am |

Naomi
      Seriously, why do Christians need tax savings in order to give more? I read a story from up in Canada where someone there routinely drops in gold coins anonymously into Salvation Army Christmas kettles. That individual sure gives large, but doesn't care for the tax savings, so why can't ordinary Christians do that? Ask for a box where they can drop in unmarked envelopes. Is it because they can't trust their pastors not to doctor the books? Time for a new charity then, right?

Again, the US could be argued to have started off Christian, but it also started off as a slave-owning country where women and natives had few rights. I think most of us appreciate that we aren't living in those days anymore.

Jesus is historical? Apart from the gospels what sources do you have? Josephus? In the very work that Josephus makes a reference to someone people assume is Jesus he also mentions Hercules as a historical figure. In fact, Josephus mentions Hercules more that Jesus in his works. Should we then assume that the son of Zeus also once lived?

Even if it were true, the Romans crucified many thousands of people, so the death of one Jew in a backwater part of the Empire isn't so special. It certainly doesn't prove that Jesus was divine. He could have been just an ordinary rabbi.

It's your belief that gays are being empowered by society and are not innately ent.itled to the same rights that the rest of us enjoy. They use to say that of blacks and women too, and they had the Bible verses to back up that too. Some, unfortunately, still believe that blacks and women ought to be keep in their place alongside gays. If anything, society needs to ban against these people.

August 23, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  18. Kelly

Beautiful!!

August 19, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
  19. HeavenSent

At least I used my handle when posting. Not multiples like some folks on this site (LOL).

Amen.

August 19, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • LOL

You are full of it, we've caught you using multiple handles. What a hypocrite.

August 19, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I stand corrected. I did use the intials HS the other day when I posted because my computer is in for a virus and I am using an old Windows98 computer that takes 20 minutes to write a couple of sententences and forever it seems to send since this site is big on having everyone and their brother grabbing cookies which sends an old version of windows into a perpetual spin.

Obviously, one isn't too bright if they couldn't figure out I was the HS handle that wasn't posted to confuse or out of any malicious or underhanded intent,, just convenience for not being WWW compatable with an old computer.

Amen.

August 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm |

HeavenSent
      You still use a Windows 98 computer and you have the nerve to lecture us on evil? 😉 (I'm kidding!)

August 22, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  20. Reality

Scientology is a body of beliefs and related practices created by SPE-CULATIIVE FICTION author L. Ron Hubbard (1911–1986), starting in 1952, as a su-ccessor to his earlier self-help system, Dia-netics.[4] Hubbard characterized Scientology as a religion, and in 1953 incorporated the Church of Scientology in Camden, New Jersey."

"Scientology beliefs revolve around the the-tan, the individualized expression of the cosmic source, or life force, named after the Greek letter thet-a (θ).[88][89][90] The the-tan is the true identi-ty of a person – an intrinsically good, omniscient, non-material core capable of unlimited creativity.[88][89]

In the primordial past, thetans brought the material universe into being largely for their own pleasure.[88] The universe has no independent reality, but derives its apparent reality from the fact that most the-tans agree it exists.[89] The-tans fell from grace when they began to identify with their creation, rather than their original state of spiritual purity.[88] Eventually they lost their memory of their true nature, along with the as-sociated spiritual and creative powers. As a result, the-tans came to think of themselves as nothing but embodied beings.[89][91]"

The-tans are reborn time and time again in new bodies through a process called "as-sumption" which is an-alogous to reincarnation.[88] Like Hinduism, Scientology posits a causal relationship between the experiences of earlier incarnations and one's present life, and with each rebirth, the effects of the MEST universe (MEST here stands for matter, energy, space, and time) on the the-tan become stronger.[88]"

And as per jimtanker:

"You forgot the part about Xenu

In the OT levels, Hubbard explains how to reverse the effects of past-life trauma patterns that supposedly extend millions of years into the past.[122] Among these advanced teachings is the story of Xenu (sometimes Xemu), introduced as the tyrant ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy." According to this story, 75 million years ago Xenu brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8 airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and detonated hydrogen bombs in the volcanoes. The thetans then clustered together, stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to do this today."

Spe-culative fiction covers it very well !!!!

================================================================================

August 19, 2011 at 4:46 pm |