home
RSS
'El Shaddai' on rare video-game turf: the Bible
Developers hope players will look beyond the game and find out more about the Biblical story after playing "El Shaddai."
August 26th, 2011

'El Shaddai' on rare video-game turf: the Bible

By Larry Frum, Special to CNN

(CNN) - There's "God of War" and "Devil May Cry." "Kid Icarus" and "Battle for Asgard."

Plenty of video games use mythical gods or other characters and creatures from beyond to drive their stories.

But notably absent, at least among mainstream titles? The Bible. At least until now.

Read the full story on "El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron"
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Bible • Technology

1. humanbeing

..before Jesus was...I am

August 27, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • Bemused

I am, I said... to no one there

August 28, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Bemused
      If you have faith enough, the chair will hear you.

August 29, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  2. HS

J.W., I’ve tried numerous times to post this response to you but my efforts were redirected to other sites so I’m writing you here.

Read the King James Version of the Bible to learn your heritage through Jesus Christ’s truth. The KJV allows you to research back to the Hebrew, Greek or Chaldean manuscripts to check definitions of words used in the Bible. A good Bible Study Site to get you started with true and faithful Christians is at the link below.

Know this in advance, all other organizations are evil, love and follow satan’s lies. They will try to confuse and convince of anything and everything to get you away from Jesus’ truth. Stay strong and learn the truth about life and the hereafter from Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Christianity is NOT a religion is the truth about Life and the Hereafter. Everyone steals Jesus’ truth and blends satan’s lies within.

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  3. David Johnson

I think a bible fantasy game would be way cool. And appropriate! I can't wait to be the desert war god, battling the Leviathan! Take that! Thou disgusting lizard!

If the humans don't grovel enough, I will drown them! Drown them all, I say!

Love me humans! Or I will hurt you! Worship me! Now!

I will give the Smiths a dead baby, because I am mysterious! And they better still love me... or else!

Oh, yeah! This is a game I gotta have.

Cheers!

August 27, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • HeavenSent

Dave, I’m coming to the conclusion that you are an ONLY CHILD that was spoiled rotten by your parents?

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • AGuest9

Sounds like he read the bible, to me...

August 27, 2011 at 1:14 pm |

Physics-lite
      @ CN77 & Andrew and [ALL ] Atheist
      Andrew’s Quote “It's not all that pointless, see while you would never be convinced that your bronze age mythological beliefs about the creation of the universe are wrong, since I can rebut (with peer reviewed journal articles no less) any claim you make, in rather stunning detail, those who are not so well versed on the subject who read the dialogue could be swayed to the side of science. It's for the benefit of others, not the already horribly misinformed.” End of Quote.
      -------------------------------–
      A genius does what it must, to advance Mankind and
      Talented Intellectuals do just what their discipline allows.
      --------------------------------
      Discipline implies the teaching and enforcing of an acceptable patterns of behavior.
      Andrew; It is all in One’s Description and Everyone Else’s
      Interruptions over the Millennium.

Here are some peer reviewed “Nobel Prize winners”, no less.
      You pick one or all, Sheldon Glashow, Steven Weinberg, Abdus Salam, Carlo
      Rubbia, Simon van der Meer, and last but not least Richard P. Feynman.

All of the above “Nobel Winners” describe and illustrate their finding of
      millions of particle collisions in the same way.

All of the elementary particles divide up into packets of photonic energy
      [light energy ] that Turns [or ferments,] into two or more sub-particles and
      some of the photonic energy [ light energy ] returns [or ferments,] back into
      the original elementary particles. It is called quantum electrodynamics/or QED

The EM-fields of each particle defines the amount of light particles are in each
      particle or sub-particle. As the EM-fields collapse back. Andrew, you know QED

“Let there be Light and let the light ferment and the light became fermented”& there was the Heavens and the Earth.

August 27, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Physics-lite,

Kid, you have wax behind your ears! Gore and Obama were handed a NPP too (LOL).

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • J.W

Bush was handed the presidency

August 27, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • WiserThanEwe (not a sheep)

And Man said, "Let there be god". And with the coming and going of the day (or however that goes), there became god. And man say god and knew this was opportunity.

(Sorry for the bad parody – I have not read the Man darned thing since I was 11. I'd look it up, but thank Man, I don't own a bible.)

August 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • DumberThanSheep (not an ewe)

And Man said, "Let there be god". And ALAS! There came and atheists and they believe in no other gods than themselves.

August 28, 2011 at 9:01 am |
  4. CrystalRiver

CNN, thank you so much for the news of garbage dump dwellers in Mozambique. I really appreciated that. Please feature leprosy villages, too. Princess Diana when she was still alive minded for them as well. Remember? There are Christian missions and churches reaching out to them. I have no idea if any staff of CNN is reading this. I've sounded crazy to you liberals time to time but I threw ideas so people will know how the absolutely-worshipped secularism in the West looks like to some Christians now. You are not neutral anymore(that's decades ago) but anti-christian. Because you barred me from commenting on regular news, I'm stuck here talking to Americans. You may not believe it, but I really love USA and the West and pray for the best – God's best for you. May God protect your nation from wars and natural disasters as you humble yourselves before Him. Humans are far from immortal in this world and there is God who is holy, merciful and just. There is a reason the visible universe is too vast for us. Please remember that. Don't try to acknowledge Him at the last minute of your life. Please listen to the people of the Bible in your land.

August 27, 2011 at 7:35 am |
    • Spiffy

You sound crazy. Secularism is what protects Christianity.

August 27, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • CrystalRiver

No, that's 100 years ago. Present secularism corrupts everything on its path like a mighty plague.

August 28, 2011 at 8:14 am |
  5. ***dude***

Who r u talking to?

August 27, 2011 at 5:37 am |
  6. Observation

When you lose Christianity, you also lose purpose, wisdom, transparency, diligence and character. You just become full of self, greed and hunger for pleasures. Secular Americans proved the deadly effects for the entire world. Mocking Christianity was especially bad to American brains.

August 27, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • Free

Have you tried dropping Christianity personally, or studied a sizeable population of atheists, or did you reach this conclusion based simply on your belief that since all that is good is Christian, therefore rejecting that must be evil?

August 27, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • HeavenSent

Amen, Observation.

Amen.

Have you noticed the big egos on this site coming from the spiritually stunted, dry bones, no eyes to see nor ears to hear His truth and they have the audacity to assume they, they, they are educated (LOL).

August 27, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • AGuest9

What I find amazing is how, after reading one mythological fairy-tale, these "believers" feel that they are somehow superor to people who are capable of free thought, rather than brain-washing.

August 27, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Free

Yes, some of them do come off as feeling superior, and they feel that way because they are certain that they have managed to deduce the 'correct' meanings to Bible verses with their cleverness over millions of other believers and the scholars who build their careers studying them, ...and they accuse us of having inflated egos! It's like the witch doctor calling the cardiac surgeon a quack!

August 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm |
  7. Observation

For the pagans and secularists, lying is no problem. Lies are regular business practices for secularists. America lost too much Christian population and along with that the Christian mentality. The reason their economy is failing and the super-rich are consuming the middle class.

August 27, 2011 at 2:11 am |
    • J.W

Wow you are using three names just on this one page?

August 27, 2011 at 2:26 am |
    • Observation

JW, yes, I could not pick and choose yet. I have a lot more names and phrases, overflowing. You and your friends did horrible things to the name "HappyMeal" though it's one of you to suggest the name to me. Shame on atheists! HappyMeal is not that dramatic name anyway.

August 27, 2011 at 2:30 am |
    • J.W

Im not an atheist.

August 27, 2011 at 2:34 am |
    • Observation

What are you? You've been pretty anti-christian. What is your problem?

August 27, 2011 at 2:37 am |
    • J.W

I am not anti-christian. I am anti-conservatism maybe. But I am a Christian

August 27, 2011 at 3:05 am |
    • Observation

JW, why are you against conservatives? They are the ones who follow God's Word and protect the Christian morality in the land. (Non-moral issues are not urgent in USA.) All others make themselves to be their own gods.

August 27, 2011 at 3:12 am |
    • J.W

They are the most immoral, hate filled people in the world.

August 27, 2011 at 3:20 am |
    • Observation

JW, that's not true. I think you are the one who try to keep some unchristian lifestyles or philosophy. Why do you bother to call yourself Christian if you don't want to follow God?

August 27, 2011 at 4:04 am |
    • TheRationale

If you think that honesty and respect are somehow exclusively Christian values, I must say I am impressed by your astronomical ignorance.

If you need an old book or dogma to tell you to be a good person, I find that very disappointing.

August 27, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • HeavenSent

TheRationale, you are so brainwashed to not having a clue it isn’t funny. Your generation was conned and manipulated to dumb down the masses and you bought satan’s lies hook, line, and sinker.. You believe Jesus to be your enemy when in reality He and Christians that follow Him are the only ones that love you. No matter how difficult your conditioned bad behaviors make it.

As to J.W.

I’m a conservative Democrat.

Go figure? Huh?

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • AGuest9

Not all conservative democrats got sucked into the whole church thing. Listening to and following liars and adulterers and child molesters and terrorists in the name of some built-up ancient healer, (or talking burning tree or hateful psychopath) is a sick joke on humanity.

August 27, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • HeavenSent

AGuest, I do not attend any church. I read Jesus’ truth in the Bible.

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • J.W

Ok so what do I do that is going against God?

August 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Jim

HeavenSent
      Atheists generally don't believe Jesus to be our enemy. In fact, some of us can appreciate his more wise observations. We just don't believe that he was divine, if he existed at all. It's nothing personal. Most of us probably feel the same about Hercules and other supposed demigods too.

August 27, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • TheRationale

HeavenSent
      Your responses to my posts don't seem to have anything to do with what I actually say...

Again, please impress me by actually spelling out some cogent line of thought instead of tossing around strange insults.

August 28, 2011 at 12:17 am |
    • Observation

Yeah, when people made fun of HappyMeal it hurt my feelings and made me cry myself to sleep. CrystalRiver, HappyMeal, The Original, and I all like to party in my head. One of the brings the goods, the other the booze. And together we have a rocking time trying to sort reality from the pixie dust that floats between my neurons.

August 29, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  8. The Original

HappyMeal on this page are all fakes.

August 27, 2011 at 1:15 am |
  9. CrystalRiver

They use Biblical terms a lot. Really a lot. Both Americans and Ja-panese, tragically without any clues in the meaning or concept. Breaking of the Third Commandment. Both nations will fail.

August 26, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  10. *frank*

Are there debosh'd harlots in the game?

August 26, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  11. The Bobinator

Bible video game? Time to fight the amalakites. +100 points for every man killed, +50 for every child. -200 for every virgin killed. There's a NC-17 video game rating if I've ever seen one. Even GTA isn't that bad.

August 26, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • You've been Bobinated

It'd be NC-17 mostly because the Amalakites reportedly had se.x org.ies to the sound of babies being decapitated and thrown into jars.

August 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • You've been Bobinated

Apparently my last comment got removed, probably because it was deemed too crazy. But what I said is true: The Amalakites were some messed up folks.

August 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • You've been Bobinated

Oh, and there's my first comment. Who looks dumb now? *this guy* I've brought shame to the Bob name...

August 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • Free

The Bobinator
      What points would you give for every "ox and sheep, camel and donkey" killed?

August 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm |
  12. Reality

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the Book of Enoch:

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not consider the Book of Enoch to be part of its standard canon, though it is believed that the original Book of Enoch was an inspired book. The Book of Moses, found within the scriptural canon of the LDS Church, has several similarities to the Book of Enoch,[30] including names[31] that have been found in some versions of the Book of Enoch, and is believed by the Church to contain a condensed record of Enoch."

Another Jospeph Smith and Moroni rip-off? Hmmm????

August 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
    • Free

You mean, like Battlestar Galactica?

August 26, 2011 at 11:33 pm |
  13. gupsphoo

What's the difference? The Bible is just another book of fairy tales.

August 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • TheRationale

Some people actually believe these ones...

August 26, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Gupshoo, you atheists wished that were true as you try your best to erase Jesus out of the world. O to those that love and follow satan’s lies and hate Jesus’ truth.

News flash, Jesus wins and satan and the rest of you are just that … LOOSERS.

Amen.

August 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
    • TheRationale

HeavenSent
      Dude, Satan is just as fictional as God. Even if that weren't the case, it's not like not supporting the proverbial Red Sox makes you a Yankees fan by default.

And yes we're "loosers." What are you, 12 years old? "Join our club or you're a loser."
      That's how you run your club and that's one of the many reasons why we call it foolish.

August 26, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Two comments I have for you therationale.

You will never understand.

Look in the mirror and give yourself a big kiss since you are obviously in love with you.

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 12:20 am |
    • TheRationale

HeavenSent

Perhaps I might never understand because instead of trying to put forth some cogent line of thought you keep resorting to childish insults.

August 27, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  14. John Richardson

Are we having fun yet?

August 26, 2011 at 5:58 pm |
    • BG

We were until you showed up.

August 26, 2011 at 6:15 pm |
    • John Richardson

Hey, it's BG! What a surprise! This thread has nothing to do with your favorite pass time of denying Muslims basic civil rights!

August 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • BG

Geez, Richardson, I bet you're a hoot at parties. The grumpy old fart in the corner.

I know your sense of humor is on life support, but In the future try to avoid stupid set-up lines if you can't field the responses.

August 26, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • John Richardson

Well, since you're too stupid to figure out that I was originally referring to Laughing's inexplicable meltdown, I'll just ignore your latest lame attempts at barbed wit as I do most of your posts. But I do admit that your enthusiastic support for trashing the civil rights of your fellow citizens did catch my eye the other day. No surprise there, mind you. Just more of your mindless hatred polluting civil discourse.

August 27, 2011 at 5:22 am |
    • BG

@ Richardson

" I was originally referring to Laughing's inexplicable meltdown..."

Sure. All I needed to do was -imagine- what you were 'referring' to.

The story is about, what? Oh yeah, a 'game.' I guess my failure to 'deduce' what goes on in your head (pass) and your inability to use the reply button or clarify your 'contribution' (is that what it was?) is obviously all my fault. This is consistent with your 'personality' (which ain't much...) which presumes and demands that your ideation (it ain't much either..) is both obvious to all readers and accurate in every way. That's why I don't talk to you. You're always 'right,' and to object (or even converse) with you invites nothing but aggravation. You're like a woman stuck in a perpetual menstrual cycle. Do you get cramps, too?

Regarding 'civil rights,' are you getting paranoid on us? Those who have nothing to hide have nothing to fear. Citizens have always been under government scrutiny – when appropriate and necessary. God knows I pay enough in taxes... I'm glad they're doing their job. I wouldn't call that "mindless hatred polluting" civil discourse (oh, I'm so proud... you called me 'civil'.)

I'd call it a "Job Description."

Feel free to disagree. Or don't. I couldn't care less. (if it were anyone else I'd care enough to discuss it, but not you.)

August 27, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  15. Bo

This may be a game that atheists would consider playing, but I wouldn't let my kids have it; if I had any kids at home.

August 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Al

More of a Grand Theft Auto fan, I take it?

August 26, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
  16. Bo

This game does not deserve any attention, nor this particular artical. Thinking Christian and Jewish parents would not even consider letting their kids have this game. It is on par with all the other mystic god games. Garbage!

August 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • The Lambly Winged Lion of The Gods Does Roar

Bo bo binky binski then ye be! Finally a game I may just go and buy provided I go and buy a P-3! What an oldie fuddy duddy you Bo are! Gatta keep up with the Times for they are a changin Bo peep! 🙂

August 26, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Bo, it’s just another way for the Kenites (son’s of Cain who is the son of satan) to confuse Jesus’ truth and ensure folks don’t care to read the Bible for His truth about Life and the Hereafter. They did their damage by creating all false religions that took 95% of Jesus’ truth and added their (satan’s lies) to place doubt in the minds of God’s children. Look how good that theory of doubt works! You’re reading their posts … all the non-believers on this site (LOL). Get to their egos and you’ve got their
      attention and dying conviction to satan’s lies. Oh, the sin of Pride of Lucifer’s.

Amen.

August 26, 2011 at 7:27 pm |
    • Free

HeavenSent
      "Cain who is the son of satan"
      Are you claiming that Eve did more with that snake than just take it's advice?

August 26, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • Civiloutside

Cain was the son of Adam, and all of his descendants died in the Flood, according to your mythology. Or are you being metaphorical? What is the term for a metaphor about a metaphor anyway?

August 27, 2011 at 12:03 am |
    • HS

Free,

Christian scholars have been uncovering Jesus’ truth through the years and explain scriptures of what happened in the Garden of Eden. Click on the link below.

God reveals His truth in His time to different generations of humble folks who are willing to shelve their egos and search.

Amen.

August 27, 2011 at 1:53 am |
    • Free

HS
      Pretty much all mythologies have a "first man and first woman" story. If you compare Eve to Pandora and other 'first women' you'll notice that it was a rather common theme to blame women for all the world's problems, but what else would you expect from a male-dominated ancient world?

Maybe you should address your own ego and do some actual research, eh?

August 27, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • HotAirAce

@Bo

Based on your review and summary ("garbage"), it sounds like the game has faithfully captured the essence of religion and The Babble.

August 27, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  17. HappyMeal

You Westerners and your stupid games

August 26, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  18. Yet Crying Inside

I wouldn't know, because I'm a) in college and b) working over the summer. At least we can both agree that you're a child.

August 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Jose

Guess 'Laughing' should call itself 'Quarelling'

August 26, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Laughing

It's what I do best!

August 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • To laughter

Calm down laughi... you need to inhale a little bit of your own gas today..

August 26, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  19. Doc Vestibule

I want a fighting game where all the characters are from the abrahamic myths.
    Noah calls down a flood to drown his opponent but Moses counters with a mega-staff strike, parting the water!

Plus, who wouldn't want to play a Jesus vs Mohammad match!

August 26, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Laughing

That would be a sick game. Maybe Daniel could call a hord of lions? Would jesus get all the powers of god or just the sh.it he did in the bible like WATER INTO WINE POWERUP! WALK ON WATER x2!

August 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • HappyMeal

Atheists are sick human beings.

August 26, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Daniel's lions v. Elisha's bears- who would win?

August 26, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Laughing

Good question, I think I'm vested in a match where moses has the 10 plagues to choose from, but David took down Goliath with a slingshot, I wonder what he'd do to moses?

August 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Anti Christian Taliban Schizophrenics

Laughing

-----
      Or play the Roman soldier who gets to whip jesus. Bonus for making him cry.

August 26, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • J.W

Jesus and Mohamed would probably like each other I think. Jesus and Satan would have to fight definitely.

August 26, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  20. Laughing

August 26, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

How was Jr. High today?

August 26, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Laughing

It was pretty sweet, how's being unemployed?

August 26, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

(Incredible "reply" fail on my part)

August 26, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Laughing

That's adorable, you got a summer job? Tell me, what's it like saying "you want fries with that?" every 5 seconds? It gets boring right?

Also, I would like to stay a child at heart, it keeps me young.

August 26, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

Haha again, no. I work at an aerospace engineering firm. And child at heart is not the same as immature little kid.

August 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • Laughing

Cool, I make up things too. I actually work in the White House, you no, no big deal, just saving Libya today, maybe saving the economy tomorrow, we'll see how I feel.

Immature little kid? Me? That's highly unlikely, if I'm an immature little kid, what do you call congress?

August 26, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • HappyMeal

Laughing does the work of the Devil

August 26, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

Believe what you want, but it's the truth. Of course, I don't expect you to believe me, you're too used to playing pretend with the other kids in the sand box. I call Congress an entire collection of little kids, with their own summer vacation, their own lunch groups (committees) and their own teams (Dems and Repubs). All day they yell at each other and walk out in tantrums instead of getting anything done.

You spelled *know* wrong, but you'll learn that next year in 8th grade...hopefully (should have learned it in 1st like the rest of the kiddos).

August 26, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

HappyMeal, you should lay off all that crack, it's making you a little loopy.

August 26, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Laughing

I'm confused. you've called me an im.mature child, I guess I'm also simu.ltaneously in 8th grade and young enough to play in a sandbox, also I guess my spelling demotes me? I guess you get perfect spelling soph.omore year right?

Just curious, are you religious? Is that why you've popped up on the belief blog, or are you a fellow atheist? It might help explain my intense and immediate dislike for you.

August 26, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

You're confused because I was mocking your immaturity, albeit in a seemingly sporadic sense. I'm guessing you're at least older than an 8th grader in real life, so no matter what I say, it's an reference to your intellect. I popped up on this blog because I was curious about this weird Bible videogame. I made fun of you because you acted like a child and said "first." Beliefs or lack thereof have nothing to do with it, but it's cute that you're trying to see if I'm on your team or not.

August 26, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • Yet Crying Inside

And you dislike me because I called you a little kid.

August 26, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Laughing, Yet Crying Inside is telling His truth …

And I will give children to be their princes, and babes shall rule over them.

Isaiah 3: 4