home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Carla

??? Muslims never apologized but increased the hatred. Pagans don't apologizes; they only revenge or simply skip justice out of laziness. Muslims need Jesus to be forgiven and to forgive, though they are far better than secular Americans.

September 7, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Miracle Manna

So they're better than atheists but they are still going to hell?

September 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Dean

Thanks for telling people they need Jesus to be forgiven. I totally respect every religion but I hate it when people try to push their religion on others. Guess what, unless you were a convert, it was just a matter of chance that you were born into a Christian household. Do you think the people that were by chance born into a Jewish, Muslim, or Budhhist household are condemed to hell because they were unlucky of the household they were born in. Look at religion from a realistic and common sense perspective, please.

September 7, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Zainelturk

have you ever try to know is islam ???? its not what media tells you !!!
      read about it, to see what are these people believe in, because i heard that they believe in juses and muses 2,
      we should look from thier view before we start judging people.
      i have been reading thier quran to see whats in it, and i have found amazing things about christianty and judiasem.
      believe me you have a look on this book

September 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • peaceee

Muslims do believe in Jesus lol we also believe in Moses we also believe in Adam we also believe in Noah etc. The only thing we don't believe is that any of them are God's son, If God can make Adam without a mom or dad then why can't he make Jesus without a dad?

September 8, 2011 at 12:21 am |
    • usman

you know muslims also believe in jesus he is considered to be one of your 30 prophets. so next time you make a claim do a little research

September 8, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Carla

Muslims don't believe Jesus died for their sins or rose from the dead though He did both. Muslims trust and their own filthy good deeds and are being hopeful on those just like any other unbelieving humans; Muslims cannot save themselves.

September 8, 2011 at 12:34 am |
  2. Chad

"99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people" didnt do it.
    True, but how many agreed with the attack in principle?

It's a question of percentages, the extremists are a vastly larger percentage of the Muslim world population than .0000000001%. Why is hatred of the west and Israel such a commonly held belief in the Muslim world? If such view points were only held among fringe elements that's one thing, but when entire countries have that opinion, that's quite another.

September 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  3. xemu

as a white person, i would like to apologize on behalf of white people everywhere, for Nickleback's new album...im sure it's horrible. secondly, i love america and most of its freedoms. i understand the hate and know there is a lot to learn from it. amituofo! ultimate love! wu- tang forever! heavy-metal baby!

September 7, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  4. Ahammad Ashraf Khan

Dear brother Fred,
    Answers to all of your questions are having in Qur'an. It’s my firm conviction that you can finish reading the Qur’an, if you spend just 45 minutes/day for 30 days to read it.
    Be peace on you.
    Thanks-
    Ashraf

September 7, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  5. John

September 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  6. Steven A.

I don't expect an apology but American Muslims need to speak out against the violence that is happening everywhere in the world in the name of Islam. I'm not blaming anyone but where there's smoke there's fire as they say. American Muslims need to take a more vocal stand against fundamentalist Islam.

September 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • peaceee

i understand what you are saying but you have to understand that NO part of islam promotes violence or killing innocents. not fundamentalist Islam or regular islam or whatever islam. If people are killing innocents then either they are taking revenge for God knows what or they are just wrong and bad human beings, but other people that believe in the same religion should not be categorized. I am just trying to say that islam never promotes violence like that. So if any one says otherwise, just pick up the quran and skim thru so you know what islam really is

September 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  7. RossTrex

I was wondering where the latest article designed to make America embrace Islam was.... Hey I found it. How nice we have an American Muslim that tells Muslims to stop apologizing for 9/11.... I have a close friend that is a Muslim and he has never mentioned 9/11 or thought to apologize for it.... I also do not see the reason for him specifically to apologize. I do however wish that Muslims would pay attention to the idea that EVERYWHERE Muslims are the majority of the population ALL others, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Sheiks even other Muslims are discriminated against. Muslims always ignore the bad that Islam creates elsewhere and pretend that it does not exist. Islam is the least peaceful of the world religions and it is easily proven.... one has to simply read the news.

September 7, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • peaceee

If you knew anything about islam you would be surprised because we are not allowed to hurt any innocent person, we HAVE to respect women, we have to be respect other religions, we need to be forgiving. We are not allowed to commit suicide –suicide bombing is not considered good in islam either. and if some Muslims are being stupid and doing exactly what they are not supposed to like some of the above examples then they arent good muslims but THAT DOES NOT MEAN WHAT THEY ARE DOING IS ISLAM.

September 7, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
    • RossTrex

Oh I see Peacee: So Islam is not responsible for the actions of Muslims because the Koran has peaceful passages and violent passages. The violent passages when followed are not really Islam and the peaceful passages when followed are also not really Islam (according to those that follow the violent passages). Very conveniant for the Muslim that wants to pretend that Islam is not an invention of a 6th century warlord that wanted to take over a city. He found that as long as allah was mentioned his followers would kill for him. Funny how that works.... if the warlord does not have a God on his side (according to him) no one is willing to kill or be killed. I know you will reject the truth because Mohammed (acutally mostly the people that wrote the Koran) designed Islam to maintain power over the faithful.

September 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • peaceee

who the eff is warlord, man copy and paste right now a passage from the quran that is promoting violence or anywhere in there that has to do with violence or non-muslims and you better cite it. if not then shut the hell up. also if you actually knew about islam then you would know that Muhammad was just a messenger not a "designer" of islam, that would be God

September 7, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • Dave

RossTrex

How is the Catholic Bible and it's history any different than what you accuse Islam of being about? Check your history dude. Look up words like "the crusades"...the spanish inquisition....the salem witch trials. All atrocities committed by supposedly devout members of the Catholic faith. All people who believed supposedly in the 10 commandments, the simplest of which is "Thou Shalt not Kill"

September 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  8. MadDog

The problem with Islam is their central dogma that non-Muslims have no right to exist; why did their Allah create these non believers ? And Why cannot their Allah destroy them, instead he wants his creatures the Muslims to do his dirty work ? This is simple reasoning to prove the stupidity of believing that there is a Creator, be it Allah, Yahweh, God or Shiva. The notion of a Creator is passed on from one generation to another in religious families and this brainwashing is at its best in Muslims and Jews, not so much in Christians and Hindus. When humanity gets rid of this Creator from their Psyche, the world will be a better place, but who knows, they may be killing each other over other issues, but democratic countries have had better relationships with each other, than with religious or communist dictatorships. There has always been socioeconomic problems in Muslim countries from the time of their birth and it continues today, may be reaching a peak. These countries will never have democracy, as seen in Pakistan, however, Turkey has been an exception because of its better educated public.

Every Muslims needs to reflect in his mind about his believe about the infidels, because if your are a Muslim you must believe that the earth must be rid of infidels or non-believers. This is what the Koran teaches. Can a Muslim deny this ? This is the reason why Muslims much be watched and restricted, they are a dangerous people because of this belief that Infidels can be harmed at will by them and they will reward. Let the Muslims deny this !!!

September 7, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • aisha

All praice is do to Allah, the creater of everything, and the sender of all the massengers. Glory to our lord, he doesnt order any terror act, he wants peace for the world that is why he send the books and the massengers to teach the human how to live peaceful on the earth. I have one question for you, are you hundred percent sure that Muslim did the 9 11? did you heard from a Muslim person saying I did?

September 7, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Ahammad Ashraf Khan

Dear brother,
      I read your comments. Please please please read Qur'aan since your comments are full of misconception. If you can't/don't intend to read it thoroughly, please at least read from Hadith about "The Day of Judgment" such as:: when & how it will happen, what are the symptoms of the "Day of Judgment". Please take courage to read about it. Be peace on you. Thanks –

September 7, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • Ahammad Ashraf Khan

Dear brother MadDog,

September 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
    • fred

Ahammad Ashraf Khan
      It took me years to understand the Bible how could I possibly understand the Quran since I do not know your customs. Please answer MadDog question for me. Do you believe all non muslems must be killed? Do you believe virgians await muslim terrorists in heaven?

September 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • peaceee

Dude In ISLAM we are actually REQUIRED to respect other religions so there is no way that we are "supposed" to hate non muslims and kill them. You guys believe what u hear on the news and do not know anything about islam. In islam committing suicide is the worst sin ever, so all those muslim suicide bombers they are retarded they arent good muslims but that doesn't mean that's what Islam is, you need to learn islam from the Quran instead of from other people. You need to stop believing that islam is what all the corrupt muslims do and start looking at the good muslims that still exist.

September 7, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • Baris

Fred,

No only Allah can give and only Allah can take.

Maddog,

If you are going to judge, please at least take the time to learn from us. I have attended a Catholic school and have read the Bible. I am not sure if I can say the same thing about you. Also, I can cite many examples from the Bible that people will find offensive.

Regards.

September 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
    • peaceee

im sure you all know by now we believe in the Quran so why dont you show me in the Quran where you see anything that says "you muslims are supposed to get rid of the non-muslims and killl them and do all the dirty work for Allah" see that's how misconceptions are formed. Some muslims are corrupt but that's not islam those are just stupid human beings who arent good Muslims. But stop spreading lies.

September 7, 2011 at 9:28 pm |
    • javajoe

Not much different than the Jewish position that if you aren't Jewish, you were put on earth merely to serve them, or the Catholic position that if you aren't Catholic, you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. They all have their prejudices, and scams. Religions, in general, are the tools of power mongers, not peace makers. Further, there is still no clear evidence that 9/11 was caused by Muslims.

September 7, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • SeekTheTRUTH

@FRED
      The english Translation of QUran is pretty simple and in very understandable language (the translation). But the main problem comes in choosing a good Translation. To find a good translation of Quran in any language, it must be by a muslim because a muslim only knows the fundamentals of Islam and better comprehend the Quranic verses.
      Therefore, it is a must to buy a Translation of Quran by a famous MUSLIM scholar.
      Reason why a non-muslim translation wont work:
      although that translator might master the arabic language, he does not probably understand and respect the ideas and values of ISLAM. And his personal view point will always be reflected in his translation.

September 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • fred

seek the truth
      Thanks, any suggestions of a good translation?

September 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
    • peaceee

Fred: i actually know of a good one and it's also a free app for iphones, ipod touch, and also androids. Or you can search it up on google and get the translations. It is by Yusuf Ali. I'll also post a link here so you can read it. Hopefully it's helpful! http://www.muslimaccess.com/quraan/translations/yusufali/001.htm

September 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • fred

Peaceee
      I'll check it out thanks.

September 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
  9. LonelyLoner

Reading all these comments only makes me worry for those few people who read stuff on the internet and don't know that 90% of it is people pretending to be crazy or stupid to incite a reaction (see trolling). I'd say 9% of it is actually serious (see the comments about the Russian plane crash) and 1% of it is actual crazy people who somehow could type while they had their tin hat on a little tight.

I really wish on large news sites like CNN, Fox, CBS, etc. you had to attach your real name to the comments you type.

OT: I would like to know what makes American Muslims generally okay with the direction the US is going. I'm sure there is a joke on here already about "They are happy that the US is crumbling!" but I would really like to know what they see that has them feeling positive in all seriousness. Maybe they know something I don't.

September 7, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  10. Al

Canada, you can have your Nickleback we want Rush.

September 7, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Whahooo!

YEAH! Rush!

September 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  11. ThaTruth

List of things Christians never apologized for:
    Irish Republic Army
    Orange Volunteers
    The National Liberation Front of Tripura
    Manmasi National Christian Army
    The charity organization Word Vision hiring assassins with charity money!
    Car bombing in Oslo and mass shooting on Utoya island
    Iron Guard
    The Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda
    the KLU KLUX KLAN!!!!
    Abortion clinic bombings and shootings
    Monthly slaughter of Muslims in Jos, Nigeria
    The "Holy Crusades"
    The colonization, killing, enslaving and forced conversion of africans, asians, and native americans

But no one is asking you to apologize for that. that would be crazy, right?

September 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  12. John Pedant

'Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology.”'

Wow. Thanks, Dictionary.com. And thanks, Aman Ali. Now I know. Ya learn something new everyday–even about your native language, and from a Muslim too. Apologia pro vita sua (so to speak).

September 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • calvin

sarcastic douch

September 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  13. Muneef

911 Goha's Nail fixed on the whole Islamic Nation and not particular sectors of Islam;

911. From days alike last year 2010 up to these same days..of 2011 already one whole year for me here and noticed that heat arises every time this days come closer or a certain accidents take place... Last year was a Florida Paster of Dove Church threatening to burn the Quran...! This year GOD knows what under sleeve awaiting the opportunity to divid the nations united under the Western and Eastern Flags further more into bloodshed confrontations...under the name of Religions or Political Parties"Ideologies"...!

Latest was explosions in India marked as "Islamic Jihadists" and another in Pakistan although I was surprised that it was not marked as "Hindu Jihadists"... That would have had both Great Countries confront each other serving the purpose of other competing nations over the Rich Indian Peninsular... Believe me no nation fall back unless people of her own are traitors to it's nations principals and beliefs for the reason of Hate,Envy,Revenge, or Greeds towards material wealth even if by selling their Dignity and integrity or their family,tribe,community,the nation and the country it wouldn't mean much to them...and those can be found among every level of the one Society...

Any way seems that we Muslims are seeing our religion is being Nailed one  after another with acts that we disapprove of under any name such as targeting civilians or those in duty of the law and order..! As a responsible person from a great religion such as Islam, I wouldn't make an act in a place where I think many innocent Muslims would suffer in the hands of non Muslims...!!
    Still I do not believe that those call them selves Muslims Jihadists would not mind making a Terrorist acts at or close to Mosques or any minorities worship houses,nor in the markets where people make and take their living and needs..!?!
    This is not my Islam where we should reflect to be a honorable example that is Respected and Feared as Human of High Morals and Intel-lig-ence rather than being Feared as Sa-v-age Barb-a-rians...!! That is the True Jihad and not the one we see every one use to claim a false victory bases other humans miseries..!?!

Islam and Muslims is a General Word that is divided it to many sectors that are rejecting,disputing the main Islamic doctrine... So how would we know which of those are doing what where all then blamed for some thing they knew not of...?
    Find for your self which sector could be responsible in such big conspiracy with others who hate Islam in targeting the Original Islam Doctrine and other innocent Islamic sectors...!?!

Summaries of the major sects within Islam;

September 7, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • Muneef

Really silly to think that people were dancing for the murder of other innocent people that were in the planes and the buildings that were targeted but rather those who had laughed or danced were at state of shock of disbelief while happy to seeing that the Pride of the Hulk or the "T-i-tanic" Tyrant been hurt...

What they did not know is that this was not the story they were made to believe...but was rather a broke hulk was all rapped up in protocols and agreements that froze  their move and had to plan and allow the happening of some thing big that would allow it break the chains wrapped up with to do what it had done for the last decade....!?

Who is laughing at who with such stories that you planed created for us more advance beforehand which were and are watched it the Hollywood Movies...other than all the prophecies beforehand...!! It was by such act as well the presidency and the party time was extended for four other additional years to mess-up with the that been messed up with since then.

Twin Towers world trade centers....how much financial transactions take place there...? For who's interest to mixup the cards or burn down the records? What were the effects of that towards the world economy and trade...? Who's full benefit such act was for....? Was it at all for Muslims benefit!! How much Muslims have lost against the benefit of hurting a pride of a Tyrant...!?
      Just wonder whether Enron some how connected to it since that was within time frame...!!

September 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
  14. *frank*

I demand Ben Affleck apologize for Pearl Harbor, god dammit!!!!

September 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • SpiderCNN

Muslim or Christian at this time we really don't know who was responsible for 911 to begin with.
      There are many serious un-answered questions surrounding the 911 attacks: 1) pulverization of
      tons of steel used in WTC towers 1, 2 & 7 2) Why WTC 7 was demolished 3) how do u explain
      molten steel at ground zero 3 months after 9/11 4) what did hit pentagon 5) why was cheney commanding
      NORAD on 911 6) why did cheney ordered complete stand by as object was approaching pentagon and ...

September 7, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Ahnu

He got to work with Ms.Beckinsale. Hard to see how he would want to apologize for that. But I haven't seen the whole movie yet so you might have something there....

September 7, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  15. dailysoap

I do agree, Aman. It does not matter what we name our God, divinity does not condone violence and separatism. We just have our different paths and ways to reach out. So terrorism is an outcome of depraved human minds and has nothing to do with your God or mine. But people such as Khan creates rifts, sometimes under the guise of moral rheotrics and out of context facts. Well, Delhi just had a blast that killed and injured many. A terrorist group in a neighbouring nation claimed responsibility – the group just represents terrorists, not any particular religion nor the citizens of that country. But I agree that I have not lost any loved ones in any terrorist attack, so it is easy for me to be so calm. Only time heals and I hope that sanity will prevail and we will leave the world safer and kinder for our kids.

September 7, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
  16. D Show

White people are still doing this for slavery. both are equally irrational and unnecessary.

September 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  17. youie

Another problem with Muslims is that they never admit fault with their religion or with other fellow Muslims.

September 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • JF

And this is never the case with the other religions. Amazing isn't it?

September 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • Joseph

@youie – Did you not read the article? The whole thing was about not apologizing for someone else's bad decisions. So WHO should admit fault? If this guy admits fault on behalf of the extremists that caused 9/11, does that make him GUILTY of the crime? I think him condeming it is kinda his way of saying they got a screw loose. Or do you think the extremists should admit fault? Obviously that isn't going to happen. Some people need to THINK before they comment

September 7, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
    • peaceee

I admit some muslims are stupid but what they do is not Islam they are retarded human beings, so you can't say that ALL muslims don't see faults in other muslims. Stop assuming things. I do not see anything wrong with my religion because i am following it correctly (according to the quran) not doing stupid stuff like suicide bombing (big sin in islam), oppressing women (big sin in Islam), disrespecting or killing non-muslims (big sin in Islam) and more.. see you base islam on the bad muslims but you need to understand that, those bad muslims are doing exactly what islam forbids us to. I can only say sorry on behave of any muslim who has done wrong to you personally. but do your research about islam based on the quran.

September 7, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  18. windsor76

To be fair, I do think Canada owes us an apology for unleashing Nickelback upon us.

September 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • sam

See page 8, they finally caved.

September 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
  19. FK

I think this 100% on the point. American Muslims along with all other Muslims around the world did nothing to hurt the people involved in the 9/11 attack, so why should we apologize? We did nothing wrong. See this is how I see it, you to something wrong....you apologize. We did nothing wrong why should we apologize. It is not I who planned and took place in attacking the Twin Towers.I was 4 years old then barely old enough to speak with basic vocabulary. So why should I apologize? Yes, of course I believe everyone in this country wished 9/11 never happened along with me and my family. So what are we apologizing for?!?!?! This is not a matter of religion it's a matter of people. You dont want to study our holy book? Fine, dont Im not making you. But dont hate on it cause you dont have the "time" to study it either. Talking bad about the Qu'ran without knowing anything about it makes you look like an uneducated idiot. And all you Christians and Jews out there who hate and despise the Qu'ran I hope you know Jesus' name is mentioned 22 times and Moses' name is mentioned 13 times meanwhile Mohammed's name is mentioned a merely 3 times, so by hating on the Qu'ran you are hating on your own prophet and I just find that sick.

September 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm |
    • CNNIslam

Lol, yeah, Jesus's name is mentioned numerous times in the Qur'an, here are a few...

Sura 19:20,34, Jesus praised his birth and then said, “I am the servant of Allah.” And Allah teaches, “It is not for God to take a son unto Him.”

Sura 5:72-73, 5:75 “They do blaspheme who say: “God is Christ the son of Mary.” They do blaspheme who say: God is one of three in a trinity: for there is no God except one God Allah. If they do not desist from their word of blasphemy, verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them. Christ the son of Mary was no more than a Messenger; many were the Messengers that passed away before him.

Sura 4:171: “O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of Allah aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a spirit proceeding from Him: so believe in Allah and His apostles. Say not “Trinity” :desist: it will be better for you: for Allah is one Allah. Glory be to Him: (far exalted is He) above having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs.”

Many of the verses in the Bible mentioning Jesus are contrary to the Christian faith. The Qur'an denies that Jesus is the Son of God which is the main belief of Christians. So how are Christians hating on Jesus but not believing the lies int he Qur'an???

September 7, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • CNNIslam

*Many of the verses in the Bible mentioning Jesus are contrary to the Christian faith.
      Many verses in the Qur'an I meant...

September 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • St1ngR

You mean the vast, vast majority of Muslims in the world did nothing to hurt the innocent people killed on 9/11. Yet they are the ones who were blamed and attacked in retaliation. My question is when will this blood lust dry up, aren't over half a million deaths including many innocent people enough? Is this what the victims of 9/11 really wanted, to see the world tearing itself apart with hatred?

September 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Brett

"Is this what the victims of 9/11 really wanted, to see the world tearing itself apart with hatred?"

Well, just wait the Christian god will get fed up and drown everyone then it will stop.

September 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • Toby

While I do not think Muslims need to apologize as individuals, I do think that they need to take a serious look at the foundational texts and doctrines (as should Christians with their own religion) and repudiate/revise those ideas and practices that are contrary to morality and ethics. I have no problem with someone's personal beliefs, but when they pose a danger to me and my family (martyrdom, suicide bombings, hatred of Jews, etc) I have a moral obligation as part of humanity to resist and refute those ideas and practices. Religion (true or not) may give people a sense of hope in a better life, but it is THIS life of which we are certain and must protect at all costs. Peace.

September 7, 2011 at 7:20 pm |
    • St1ngR

@Toby Perhaps you should know that protecting life is one of the central tenets of Shariah. How did we suddenly realize that even according to the official story of 9/11, the attackers had political motives not religious motives. They were advancing nothing about Islam, not only were the twin towers attacked, the Islamic faith was attacked by these evil people. This unleashed a further unjust world order over the following 10 years.

September 7, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
    • Fred1

Typical muslim double speak. They want us to forget about 911 “hey I didn’t do it, it was those non muslim muslims besides 10 years is enough ” but they love to blame America for any thing we have ever done and many things we haven’t

September 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  20. Ahammad Ashraf Khan

Brother:- please have patience. Don’t lose heart.

One day people of USA would know the truth who actually committed the heinous 911 crime. I still believe that no Muslim was involved with the 911 incident. If you look back in the history, you would find everywhere in the world that all heinous crimes were plotted and executed either by Jews, or Hindus, or Christians or together; but Muslims were innocently blamed for the crimes. To understand more, please browse the “Gujrat Vioence in India” in which 1000 Muslims were killed just in a day by Hindus since Hindus touted one day that Muslims killed 54 Hindus by burning a train. After 9 years, Indian Police and Court found that BJP party’s Hindu Extremists burnt the train, then they did propaganda about the incident against Muslims, and attacked Muslims – Hindus did the heinous crime (killed 1000 Muslims in a day).

Allah said in Holy Qur’an in many Ayats of many Suras that: – If you forgive who commits (committed) crime/fault, Allah will give you reward. Men/women should have patience in all cases – if you have it, you would eventually be successful/rewarded/ultimate gainer.

So, please have patience. Don’t lose heart and try to make people understand about Qur’an and Islam.

Thanks

September 7, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • CNNIslam

You dear sir are on crack...

September 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • Lola

What are you smoking?

September 7, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • Al

It's rumored to be crack.

September 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • Toby

I know the idea of a conspiracy is too tempting to ignore, but let's try to stay grounded in reality here-huh? We all know (if we know anything) that the hijackers on the American Airlines flights of September 11th all shared at least one thing in common-they were pious Muslims who sincerely believed they were doing the will of Allah. Now, assuming they were correct, we are faced with the sickly idea that either they were wrong or that Allah approves of killing innocent human beings. To claim that the ideas of martyrdom were not a motivating factor (if not THE motivating factor) for these killers is to miss the point entirely. Let's just ask ourselves why the phrase "Allah Akbar" was heard and recorded shortly before the planes hit the towers. If these men weren't motivated by their religious beliefs, then no one is or ever was. So, let's just be brutally honest and admit what we do know-that Islam, Christianity, and Judaism DO contain ideas and doctrines and beliefs that are harmful, if not fatal to humanity.

September 7, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • St1ngR

@Toby, I think you'll find crazies in every religion and even in non-religious ideology, yes there is a concept of matrydom in Islam but there's also one in every other religion and ideology, to give your life, if needed, for a cause greater than you. Yet unlike many other religions and ideologies, this isn't the highest accomplishment. Rather living a righteous good life & being good to others is. Yes, I heard those recorders to but finding a few crazies who shout their religious/ideological slogan is easy, in this case we're being told that Muslims did so. As you said there are many more questions out there that must be seen in concordance to get a good picture of what transpired that day.

September 7, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • RenoGuy

Seriously. You have a major screw loose. You really believe such a propaganda machine. Hitler and his minions were successful doing the same things you and your 'peaceful' religion have propagated. Keep your mouth shut, so we can at least debate whether you are an idiot.

September 7, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • MadDog

There have been cases where Muslims in India have setup the Christians, and Hindus have attacked the Christians. Perhaps, the Muslims have been paid back. Do not claim that Muslims are innocent. As for waiting for Allah to take care of his mess, you should keep waiting. Fact is, Muslims and others who believe in their own Creators, claim that their Creator has given them the divine directive to kill the others. I do not understand why your Creators are unable to take of this. Why don't the Creators just kill each other instead ? So I hope you all kill yourself very soon or drop death by the wish of your Allah, Yahweh, God or may be by some Satan or Demons. The stupid is in the Religion.

September 7, 2011 at 8:13 pm |