home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Carla

What each honest Muslim needs to do is making efforts to bring the freedom of conscience in every Islamic nation. Otherwise, don't expect non-Muslims to trust you.

September 8, 2011 at 1:08 am |
    • Scott

Well, what each Christian should do is stop trying to convert every person you see!!!

September 8, 2011 at 1:50 am |
    • Carla

Scott, you need evangelism and Christian education, but no human needs tyranny.

September 8, 2011 at 5:07 am |
  2. a reader

Aman, I respect your feelings. But who is asking you or any other person from your community to apologize for 9/11? This is something that we as human beings should be guilty of and apologize to ourselves for making this place full of terrorists attacks every now and then ..

September 8, 2011 at 1:07 am |
    • Poo Fling

Ouch, You just got Poo'd on!!! Copy & paste this once to fling your Poo onto someone else. Follow the POO TRAIN!!!!!

September 8, 2011 at 1:10 am |
  3. Totally agree

All you effin moosejabs need to go back home and learn to control yourselves. Just look over to the Middle East and look at all you all dancing around the streets looking like a bunch of clowns when cars blow up and terrorism strikes. Either the Middle East coincidentally happens to be the most cendensed location of the crazy people (doubtful), or your religion is seriously screwed up. I'll go with the latter.

Israel atleast allows their citizens freedom and seek to peaceful if only they would be left alone. You all want to destroy them along with yourselves. CAN'T

September 8, 2011 at 1:07 am |
  4. Buzzing

Yeah right, "Muslims should stop apologizing? Maybe when the Muslims stop flying and walking under the banner, "death to all Jews and death to the infidels."

September 8, 2011 at 1:00 am |
  5. Brian

When 9/11 happened I turned on the news and saw two things. The twin towers falling and muslims all around the world parading in the streets, like 9/11 was a celebration. So no, not all Muslims flew a plane into the twin towers, but a large majority of them were very happy to hear about it.

September 8, 2011 at 12:49 am |
    • Another guy

A LARGE MAJORITY????? WHY DO YOU ASSUME THAT ALL OF THE MUSLIMS IN THE WORLD ARE IN THE MIDDLE EAST? Do you honestly think American Muslims were happy about it? Do you HONESTLY think that? What about the muslims killed in the attack? what about them?

I don't know why people on this board don't quite understand what motivates human behaviour, but maybe we should try and look at this whole issue laterally, rather than with such an extraordinary tendency towards the assumed and sensationalist (or, in evidence, fascist).

Try to consider why a terrorist cell in the Middle East might want to attack America. Is it because of their faith, which preaches peace and that to murder another man is the vilest of all crimes? Or is it perhaps because these people live in terrible conditions, have witnessed numerous wars and political oppression, and see America allying itself to a state that to many in the region exists illegally?
      Do you really think that people read the Qu'uran and decide to kill people?

9/11 was NOT about Islam. It was about political fundamentalist ideology with a misleading veneer of religious motivation. Islam did not motivate the attacks, the faith was simply one of the elements used to describe the hijackers.

You could talk about the IRA and say 'Catholics are all evil, look at the people they killed in London', and implicit in that sentence you would be saying the Pope, indeed, Roman Catholicism was responsible for the deaths of people killed by bombs during the Terror. Are all Christians evil because the IRA bombed people? No. Are all muslims evil because Al Qu'aida killed people? No.

September 22, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  6. Terry T

The so called Christians that have twisted 9/11 into a religion thing should be shot. To benifit their own cash coffers they have continuously pushed the Christion Vs Moslim agenda. 9/11 was an attack by a terrorist group, and has nothing to do with the mainstream Moslim faith.

September 8, 2011 at 12:46 am |
  7. Muslimah

Ali I'm in agreement with you all the way. Thanks for speaking out. Furthermore, those who disagree should find out what really happened on 9/11. Maybe they wouldn't be supporting their government so blindly.

Check out http://whatreallyhappened.com/

September 8, 2011 at 12:41 am |
    • Zainelturk

September 8, 2011 at 12:52 am |
  8. Carla

Human race is evil and deserves hell. Justice awaits mankind for lying, exploiting, massacring the innocents and polluting the planet. The only salvation is saying sorry to the Creator God and accept His only method of forgiveness. All honest humans admit that we are all hopeless transgressors against the Creator and accept Jesus. Rich nations including USA are deadly guilty in fattening themselves on a planet of 2 billion suffering humans. Read the Book of James.

September 8, 2011 at 12:31 am |
  9. havefaithinnofaith

No one should be asked or expected to condemn, or apologize for, an act committed by someone else. It is reasonable, however, for anyone connected in some way to a group that commits an atrocious act to attempt to distance themselves from said group. When people argue that Christians committed horrendous acts during the crusades, I point out that the crusades were in no way Christian. The papacy of the time was just another political machine perverting the teachings of Christ to accomplish their personal goals. I am happy to repeat that to anyone who might confront me about the crusades or any other ridiculous act committed by a person claiming to be a Christian. I feel that way because my faith and the faith of the crusaders share a name and nothing more. So no, Muslims should never have to apologize for extremists, but as Muslims I would they would be glad to share their faith with someone that might question them. It might be frustrating to have to repeat yourself, but every person who learns the differences between Muslims and extremists is one less person that will question them tomorrow.

September 8, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  10. Laney1025

Tsk, tsk. Such childish babble most of the time. Where's George Carlin when you need him? Sounds like the bigger d@*k foreign policy has landed on the home front. Folks, this is a really simple concept. There are many, many religions in the world and there are many, many atrocities bestowed in the names of those religions. The radicals who bestow these horrid deeds are usually the exception, not the rule. Even Christianity has had it's share of murder in the name of something believed worthy of taking lives. But really, can't we just put it in perspective for once? If you have a bushel of apples and only two on the top are bad, does it really make sense to throw the whole bushel away? I would never dare ask a Muslim how they felt about 9/11. So I kinda wonder who the idiots are that are doing the asking anyway. I don't care what race or religion or anything else you are, if you treat me properly I will reciprocate. As it should be...

September 8, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  11. Zainelturk

some of the graphics of juses shows that juses wear this dress that muslim people wear, and juses have a beard as muslims.
    a muslim guy talled me that they believe in juses and follow him more that christans. and from what i see they are right.

September 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • Maryam

Thank You! Did you guys read that?

September 8, 2011 at 12:24 am |
  12. Reality

Aman Ali,

So you are tired of apologizing for 911. Have you apologized yet for the following acts of koranic-driven terror?:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

2) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) – Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

September 7, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • PragmaticHominid

Way to cut and paste, dude. Guess you can't use your own brain, huh?

September 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • Cant believe its not butter!! haha

Who cares if he copy and pasted it. Its true

September 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • Reality

The referenced list of Islamic acts of terror and horror was tabulated from the global news' services and references such as http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf . Said list is updated as needed.

September 7, 2011 at 11:48 pm |
    • J.W

You are just jealous because he is a free thinker. I you became a free thinker you would be able to copy and paste the thoughts of others too.

September 7, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
    • Guapo

But... it's the religion of peace!

September 8, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • This is Reality

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism -OR- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_religious_terrorism
      are you christian or jewish? if so, tell me when you're ready to apologize for everything on those pages. all religions have their extremists. how dare you try to pin such "acts of terror" as koranic driven. every religion has its fair share of devout followers. and every religion has its fair share of extremists who act far beyond the rules of their creed and their holy book.
      and why should he apologize for the acts which he had no control whatsoever over? are you a plotting member of the KKK? have you participated in such religious frenzies? if not, do you think it appropriate for someone to expect you to apologize for an act completely and totally out of your hands?
      i did not think so.
      sincerely,
      simple logic

September 8, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • true path

you forgot hiroshima & nagasaki dudes?
      british colonial's crime thruout india and asia?
      nazi was not muslim
      what about the exploits in africa?
      whatabout the jews invading palestine? i bet u wudnt like it when these so called "muslim" terrorist invade your country
      but you invade iraq n steal their oils, didnt you?

now dont act like u guys are some sort of angel, it makes me puke all over my desktop. there are always terrorism across the world no matter what religion they are. my lines that u miss (i dont know u'r stupid), is that no religion on earth supports terrorism. but we all know US authorities and israelis are the real mass terrorist for invading peoples' space. what these so called "muslim" terrorists, if what u accuse is TRUE.., they are only a small group. think about it. hope u'r not that stupid to understand

September 8, 2011 at 12:12 am |
    • Maryam

Its the past.. Learn to move the hell on!

September 8, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Kareem

I've got two words for you bro...Christian Crusades.

September 8, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Hehe101

To the person said Jews invaded palestine, let me get the record straight. The Jews have as much a right to be there as the Arabs do. In fact, the only people who really have the right to live there are Cannanites, but they don't exist no more). There needs to be a Jewish nation in order to help protect Judaism. To the Arabs who complain about the lack of an Arab nation, are you kidding me? Ever heard of these countries?

Saudi ARABia
      Syria
      Egypt
      Lebanon
      Iraq ?
      Jordan

Back to the "invading" hebrews; We were put in concentration camps by the British after WWII because they didn't know what to do with us. We wanted to go to the place it all started (okay, that would be Iraq, but...).

September 8, 2011 at 12:59 am |
    • Reality

The Twenty (or so) Worst Things People Have Done to Each Other:
      From: http://necrometrics.com/warstatz.htm#u (required reading)

The Muslim Conquest of India

Rank <<<Death Toll <Cause <<Centuries<<<Religions/Groups involved*

1. 63 million Second World War 20C (Christians et al and Communists/atheists vs. Christians et al, Nazi-Pagan and "Shintoists")

2. 40 million Mao Zedong (mostly famine) 20C (Communism)

3. 40 million Genghis Khan 13C (Shamanism or Tengriism)

4. 27 million British India (mostly famine) 19C (Anglican)

5. 25 million Fall of the Ming Dynasty 17C (Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Chinese folk religion)

6. 20 million Taiping Rebellion 19C ( Confucianism, Buddhism and Chinese folk religion vs. a form of Christianity)

7. 20 million Joseph Stalin 20C (Communism)

8. 19 million Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C (Islam)

9. 17 million Timur Lenk 14C-15C

10. 16 million Atlantic Slave Trade 15C-19C (Christianity)

11. 15 million First World War 20C (Christians vs. Christians)

12. 15 million Conquest of the Americas 15C-19C (Christians vs. Pagans)

13. 13 million Muslim Conquest of India 11C-18C

14. 10 million An Lushan Revolt 8C

15. 10 million Xin Dynasty 1C

16. 9 million Russian Civil War 20C (Christians vs Communists)

17. 8 million Fall of Rome 5C (Pagans vs. Pagans)

18. 8 million Congo Free State 19C-20C (Christians)

19. 7½ million Thirty Years War 17C (Christians vs Christians)

20. 7½ million Fall of the Yuan Dynasty 14C

*:" Is religion responsible for more violent deaths than any other cause?

A: No, of course not – unless you define religion so broadly as to be meaningless. Just take the four deadliest events of the 20th Century – Two World Wars, Red China and the Soviet Union – no religious motivation there, unless you consider every belief system to be a religion."

Q: So, what you're saying is that religion has never killed anyone.

A: Arrgh... You all-or-nothing people drive me crazy. There are many doc-umented examples where members of one religion try to exterminate the members of another religion. Causation is always complex, but if the only difference between two warring groups is religion, then that certainly sounds like a religious conflict to me. Is it the number one cause of mass homicide in human history? No. Of the 22 worst episodes of mass killing, maybe four were primarily religious. Is that a lot? Well, it's more than the number of wars fought over soccer, or s-ex (The Trojan and Sabine Wars don't even make the list.), but less than the number fought over land, money, glory or prestige.

In my Index, I list 41 religious conflicts compared with 27 oppressions under "Communism", 24 under Colonialism, 2 under "Railroads" and 2 under "Scapegoats". Make of that what you will."

September 8, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  13. PragmaticHominid

Really, the average white person bears far more responsibility for Nickleback than the average Muslim does for 9/11.

September 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm |
    • Kyle

Agreed. We weep apologetically for their existence daily. Unlike muslims, who were dancing in the streets on 9/11.

September 7, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
    • FoolsShouldThink

Except there was a large group of israeli citizens found near the WTC celebrating as the towers collapsed. Not muslims, but jewish men.

September 8, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  14. Chris, Islamic studies student/teacher

There's a misunderstanding between American Muslims and American non-Muslims that only a few of them know of. The author here said that tons of organizations, scholars, imams, etc have continuously condemned terrorism... so much so that it has become boring for the average Muslim to hear "another condemnation of terrorism!–yeah, we know! just tell us other things to increase our faith!". But the non-Muslims in America obviously are not attending Islamic events to hear these things, but rather, many of them are listening/watching what some news stations claim that the Muslim scholars/organizations are NOT condemning these attacks and are simply silent about them. Obviously they did not do their research and want to mislead the public into thinking "why aren't you guys condemning terrorism?". Nothing could be further from the truth for Muslims in America and Saudi Arabia especially–symposium after symposium and conference after conference about condemnation of terrorism. And this is what the author is saying, "Okay, let's move on with practicing our religion, if people don't get it now, they'll never get! It's not my/our fault!"

September 7, 2011 at 11:27 pm |
    • Reality

Verifiable references supporting your contention that Muslims at Islamic events are condemning terrorist acts are?

Besides the very vocal condemnation of said acts, the koran also needs to be dramatically changed.

To wit:

What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror? The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein. Until then, no female or male Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................

September 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
    • dieshard

Try living among these animals in Dearborn(istan) Michigan !!! muzzies were dancing and cheering on 9/11 afternoon!!! Those animals were having a ball??? I went to work on that day>>>>>>I watched these people laughing and having fun, calling their families overseas and celebrating this tragedy. One supervisor told his people (Americans) not to be hateful to our muzzslum co-workers.!!! MY answer was fu ck you and my muzzslum co-workers!!! WE let several people of arabuk origin know WE WOULD REMEMBER THAT DAY!!!!!!!! And we have.!! WOULD you believe my plant had about 15 muzzies who went on medical leave>>>>afraid the white people would be mad and PAY THEM BACK!!!!!!! I almost lost a truly great person on 9/11 she was on a plane in New York. She was o.k. SO yes it changed me. I love life more than you know. And hate muzzslums for what they did>>>just dont deal with them>>>>spineless,stinking, hateful,backwards, ungrateful bassturds.fu ck the muzzies and their religion>>>>>no exceptions. Ship them all to their own sandbox and let them sh it there.

September 8, 2011 at 1:12 am |
  15. Colin

Warren Jeffs, the delusional leader of the Yearning for Zion movement, was just sentenced to prison for having $ex with a 12 year-old girl.

Mohammed married a nine year-old girl. That is, three years younger than Jeffs' youngest victim. The entire Islamic faith is based on the teachings of a sick, disgusting child r.apist. How do they answer this?

September 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • Chris, Islamic studies student/teacher

In some states you can marry a 14 year old or even your first cousin with parental consent. In France, the legal age for marriage is 15. America is the only Western country I know of where the standard 18. Where do you draw the line, and how? Muslims draw the line with menstruation.

September 7, 2011 at 11:36 pm |
    • mytictac

I do not expect apologies from anyone who was not directly involved in the attacks..the same way I refuse to be held accountable for 1. Taking land away from the American Indian..(conquered people lost their land since time began..get used to it, but *I* have never taken anyone's land away from them) ..or 2. Enslaving the people from Africa..(again, unless you're a slave now shut up and get on with the business of living, *I* have never held any human being as beneath me in any way shape or form.) So given my philosophy I can honestly say I do not hold all Muslims responsible for 9-11.

September 7, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Kyle

They think it's cool to do.

September 7, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • Zainelturk

well if you read the history of england your going to find that in the 17th century the avarage age of marrige for girls is 10 years in UK. and that was like 300 years ago. and in that time girls used to became mature in early age and that was because of the nature of that time. and know you can find in the schools of united states of america and europ 11 years old girls are pregnant and some of them have kids, and there is a nursery inside the schools for the babys of these yung girls that are 11 and 12 years old and this is in the modern country in 2011. so dont say things that you dont know about people whome lived in the sahara 1433 years ago.

September 8, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • Don

@Chris, Islamic studies student/teacher
      The age for marriage (or consent) is only 18 in a few states. I want to know where all these apologizing muslims are.

September 8, 2011 at 1:10 am |
  16. KSam

Sometimes people use religion as a scapegoat to finding excuses for their hidden agenda. It's a cheap way to gain support from people who lack critical thinking skills. This only deceives the people who are targeted, and creates a false image of the problem, and it makes the job of the opponent easier. Same way, people who try to gain support in hating another group of people based on their religion, race, culture, etc i s also trying to lure people without critical thinking skills. Don't jump to conclusion without analyzing all the facts and details. The real reason behind 9/11 can only be explained by Osama Bin-Laden (who's now dead), and George W. Bush and his top advisors. Don't let politics fool you! Trust humanity and remember people of all religious background and race are naturally good, loving people. What's evil is politics and sometimes the media!

September 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
    • Zainelturk

see this like you gonna find a movie that wasfilmed in 2001 talks about 9\11
      isnt that strange ??????

September 8, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Guapo

Hmmmm.... You from the Dakotas? 🙂

September 8, 2011 at 12:10 am |
    • John Richardson

What's strange is that you didn't catch the reference right at the beginning to the 1993 bombing of the WTC. And I'm pretty sure that Samuel L Jackson wasn't in on any conspiracy re 9/11. Doesn't seem the type. 😀

September 8, 2011 at 12:15 am |
  17. TCB

Someone asked earlier for some quotes from the Qur'an so here goes. "Repentance" 9:29 through 9:31 – "The Jews say Ezra is the son of God while the Christians say Christ is the son of God. This is what they say, from their very mouths, thereby agreeing with the speech of the unbelievers who came before. May God strike them down! How they pervert the truth! They have taken their rabbis and monks as lords instead of God – as also the Christ son of Mary. They were commanded to worship but one God-there is no God but He, glory to Him, far above their polytheism." Which leads to verse 9:4,"Once the sacred months are shorn, kill the polytheists wherever you find them, arrest them, imprison them, besiege them, and lie in wait for them at every site of ambush." Things that make you go "HMMMM"

September 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • AC

Have you read the Christian Bible? There are plenty of passages in there that would make someone like you go "HMMMM."

Get familiar with scriptural-speak and then you will not be misled so easily.

September 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
    • Kyle

AC, just because the bible is crap doesn't mean the koran isn't.

You don't need to go cherry picking in either book. If you have any intelligence about you, you can easily find why these books are complete myths.

September 7, 2011 at 11:40 pm |
    • Guapo

Well said, Kyle!

September 8, 2011 at 12:14 am |
  18. Nitrocide

This article made me laugh about as much as some of the country-ass redneck comments made on here.

September 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  19. nola70119

I do not believe Muslims owe America anything. There is no reason why they should be made to jump through other people's hoops. Everyone who shares the same sympathy felt the same loss. If you do not believe that, then demand all Baptists to be up–in-arms for what the Westboro Baptist Church does. Let all Catholics scream in the streets for their exposed hemophiliac incursions. Let ALL AMERICANS parade with rage for the recently uncovered disease testing done illegally upon Guatemalans. We all share burdens of guilt by association. Why focus solely upon Muslims?

September 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • nola70119

pedophiliac, darn auto-correct!

September 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • *frank*

In view of communion, hemophiliac works too, actually.

September 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  20. Fred1

Your unhappy that Americans are still mifft and want apologies from musilims for 911, get real, the last time so many Americans were slaughtered in a sneak attack, we rounded up every member of their race in America (citizen or not). Took away their property and put them in camps for the duration of the war. Then we incinerated 2 of their major cities into radioactive slag heaps and we still hold a grudge against them. You should be praising America for the restraint, understanding and compassion it has shown

September 7, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"....and we still hold a grudge against them. "

and what kind of car do you have in your drive way ?

September 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Dean

Fred, look at your first sentence asa proof of your ignorance. The Muslims he is talking about in this article are Americans too but you drive a wedge and try to separate "Muslims" and "Americans". Get real with yourself! I have Muslim friends who in the army and marines who fight for our country and love our country just like every other American Muslim I know. It's unfortunate that the extremist on 911 were Muslime because they did a good job of brain washing people into hating the vast majority of Muslim Americans that are just as patriotic as the rest of us.

September 7, 2011 at 11:16 pm |