home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Rainer Braendlein

The evil mystery of the Koran

There are a lot of obvious anti-Christian suras in the Koran, literally rejecting the divine sonship of Jesus Christ and the Holy Trinity. Furthermore many suras literally require Muslims to attack Christian countries.

Somewhat hidden is the "evil mystery" of the Koran. You need to read the Koran yourself, to check it out.

What is that?

In the eyes of Muhammad Jews and Christians are believers, having turned apostate. Muhammad acknowledges Abraham, Moses and Jesus and others as Islamic (!) leaders, yes, even Jesus. The first great Islamic leader had been Abraham. Muhammad says, he had teached the Islam. Muhammad says the pupils (ordinary believers) of Abraham, Moses and Jesus didn't obey their teachers or Allah. Thus, Allah degraded them to Jews and Christians. Muhammad says Jews and Christians are degenerated believers or infidels.

This is the basic concept of Muhammad: He saw himself as the highest prophet, who had to lead back every human being to the old Religion of Truth, i. e. the Islam.

This atti-tude of Muhammad explains much of the demonic power of Islam.

September 8, 2011 at 11:43 am |
    • prommy

wow..is it there in Quran !!!! ??

September 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
  2. Carla

Muslims should read the Bible and say sorry to God and receive forgiveness by believing that Jesus died for their sins so they'll never have to say sorry to Americans again.

September 8, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Car-ruh

Chinese Proverb says: If your strength is small, don't carry heavy burdens. If your words are worthless, don't give advice.

Seek worth in your words, my child.

September 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • sami

you will see soon who will be forced to say sorry to who! it is just a matter of time!

September 10, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  3. ohsnap

"It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies." So true. And yes I do believe it's unfair. But not every religion flew 3 airplanes into buildings, killing thousands of people. 9/11 changed not only the lives of the people in those buildings, it impacted the economy, families, people who just witnessed the event. It radically changed how this country operates in every way. Unfortunately those extremists hit a vital nerve in the American consciousness. And, unfair or not, the Muslim population will have to live with the sentiments expressed by many until cooler heads prevail and people realize that not every Muslim is a terrorist.

September 8, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Lew Warden

Just a few crazies? Then why were Muslims, well paid in

Oh, yeah! Just a few crazies? Then why were well-paid Muslim employees of California's Silicon Valley .com companies seen dancing in the street in posh neighborhoods when the news first broke? I called the FBI to at least record who they were and was told that the FBI wasn't interested. There's an awful lot of hatred for America out there and we are fools to pretend otherwise.

September 8, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Pro

Dude, you do know that people acting in the name of Christianity (though I respect Christianity enough to know it is not to blame) have inflicted much death and devastation even now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism , http://www.christianaggression.org/item_display.php?type=ARTICLES&id=1137165211 and many other examples. AND there are tons of scripture that these crazies can refer to. The Qur'an only allows jihad when aggressed against or to fight oppression (you just have to read the whole book and know the context which has always been our methodology instead of verse plucking). Islam and Muslims didnt do anything since what was done on 9/11 goes against our scripture. Killers did.

September 8, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
  4. free america

This has nothing to do with your faith no matter what it is. This has to do with a terrorist attack on American civilians on America soil that's it.

September 8, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  5. DrBakroChod

How to apologize to Muslim brother for 911 ??

September 8, 2011 at 11:32 am |
  6. tr123

i love jesus! and he something about those without sin throw thr first stone? who are we to juge those to worship something else? they go to hell and of story. let them live there live and we will liv ours.

September 8, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • LinCA

I am without sin, but I'm not about to start throwing stones.

September 8, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • J.W

When you say they go to hell that makes it sound like you are judging to me.

September 8, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • Carla

LinCA is a sinner. The Bible says atheists go to hell.

September 8, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • LinCA

@Carla

You said, "LinCA is a sinner. The Bible says atheists go to hell."
      A sin is a violation of religious rules. Unless you are a member of that particular religion, those rules don't apply. If a rule doesn't apply to you, you can't violate it. Sinning is reserved for those that subscribe to religion.

Religious rules don't apply to atheists. Atheists thus can't violate those rules. Atheists are therefor incapable of sin.

There is nothing in the bible that applies to me.

September 8, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  7. Rainer Braendlein

I worship Jesus, my Lord, but not your Lord, dear Muslim.

Satan is the Lord of the Muslims. He is a liar and murder from the beginning.

September 8, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • myweightinwords

Satan is the lord of Luciferians. Not Muslims. Possibly also of Maltheists. Hmm. I'll have to ponder that one.

September 8, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • SBZ

When Jesus was on the cross he cried out to God as "Elahi" (spelled אלהי in Aramaic and Hebrew) and this is etymonous to the Syriac Alaha which in Arabic is rendered Allah. So the one you prayed to, prayed to the God of the Muslims, so if that is Satan, then you pray to one who worships the devil. When will America's idiocy ever end? We all worship God. You don't have a monopoly on His Greatness.

September 8, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Ben James

What branch of the Nazi party are you with?

September 8, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • Larah

One time, God came over and we played hopscotch. Then the devil came over and asked if he could play and we said "sure" but didn't give him any of our cookies. That was a great time.

September 8, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Rainer Braendlein

Dear Mister Braendlein,

I am your god and I am hurt to heard those words that came out from you. If you are saying that then you are no different then Osama Binladin. " Hate" = satan and devil. You just proven to god that you are one of the devil. (I always teach you to love and to forgive to those making mistake and to understand them) anger and hate will only lead you to your own suffering.

September 8, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • RossTrex

Elahi (אלהי) is Aramaic and means "My God."[1] Elah means God (Name for God as 'Awesome One') in Aramaic.[2] The "i" after Elah means "my". Elah-i, Elahi = My god. In the Bible Elahi is found only in the books of Ezra and Daniel.[3]

Some scholars believe Elahi may be the name of God that Jesus vocalized in his last words on the cross. Science historian Livio Catullo Stecchini and Jan Sammer write, "The limits of Mark‘s knowledge of Hebrew are revealed by the sentence Eloi Eloi Lama Sabachthani which he puts into the mouth of Jesus. It is a confused rendering into Greek lettering of the text of Psalm 22:2, which reads in Hebrew eli eli lama azabtani and in Aramaic elahi elahi lema sebaqtani."[4]

Please attempt to look up the truth before you spew Lies about Jesus. Once again Muslims make up things just like Mohammed did and call it truth.

September 8, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  8. Duh

STOOOOOOOOOP FIGHTING!!!! We need to grow up and realize the real question underlining all these arguements! WHO IS GOING TO APOLOGIZE FOR KE$HA?

September 8, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • J.W

Not me. I warned everyone about Ke$ha but no one listened.

September 8, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  9. Ran

99% are not terrorist but 100% of the terrorists are Muslims.

September 8, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Duh

nope. check out india. there are like dozens christian terrorist organization. lets not forget ireland, uganda, nigeria, and norway. terrorism isn't a result of one kind of religion. it is found in every religion ever created.

September 8, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • gliese42

Duh@ None of them kill 3 thousand americans and 9/11.

September 8, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • SBZ

@gliese42 and America has killed a million Iraqis and Afghans. One is okay because it was a hackjob and the other is okay because it was under a sanctioned military. All human life is sacred. Murder is murder...not just when you're not doing the murdering.

September 8, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Karina

Why do people have to pin something bad onto one religion? the bottom line is that there are crazy and bad people. No crazy and bad religions

October 9, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  10. shannon

bwahahaha @ nickleback. they suck and they should most deffinetly apologize. but seriously, the people that want to trash talk muslims? stop it. im not one, nor do i agree with the terrorists, but to blame a whole culture is revolting. christians are hateful if we want to get technical. i can remember stories about parents not taking their kids to the dr because god would heal them, or these extreme loonies (like my dad) telling me that everything i did was wrong and i would end up in hell. we all have different beliefs, but i feel most of us are on the same page in regards to violence, we dont condone it. anyone with any moral charachter knows that hatred and violence is not the answer. i dont think they (muslims) should apologize, because it was a handful of extreme hateful people, not the majority.

but on behalf of white folks everywhere that like good music, i am sorry for nickleback.

September 8, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  11. Rainer Braendlein

They came unexpected. Why?

It belongs to the the strategy of war of the Islam to make naive Christians believing Muslims would believe in Jesus Christ.

Muhammad conducted civil war for many years in Arabia till he ruled the whole country. The emperor Heraclius (emperor of the Christian Roman Empire Byzantium or Eastern Roman Empire) knew of Muhammad's activities.

Why didn't Heraclius prompt troops to go to the border between Palestine and Arabia, in order to be ready to defend Palestine against an assault of the Muslim Arabs?

Probably the ancient Muslims used the same strategy like the Muslims today. They made the people believing they just would be a kind of a Christian denomination. Why should believers ever attack other believers? It seems they really fooled Heraclius.

Thus, Heraclius failed to send troops to the border and Palestine, Syria and Persia were overrun by the Muslim Arabs in a short time.

The Muslims are an evil gang, hiding it's malice under a smoke screen of religion. They want to make us falling asleep, after that they will behead us. Very simple.

September 8, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  12. Phil in Oregon

Yes, 99.9% of them are not terrorists. At least 50 or 60% hate America because we rule the world when the prophet told them they're supposed to be top dog. The main terrorist movement IS from that one religion, though, and they can get used to scrutiny.

September 8, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Blurpdedoop

If we own the world, then why do we owe China a butt load of money? MOST countries don't like America because we have that mentality.

September 8, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  13. Spencer

I, for one, am deeply sorry in the name of all white Americans... for the repeated attempts and successes by Nickleback at the failures they have put out over the last decade.

September 8, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • shannon

oh my god, they suck!

id like to apologize for miley cyrus while were at it.

September 8, 2011 at 10:59 am |
  14. gliese42

The Universe@ please keep the universe to yourself as Josiah is standing up to his right

September 8, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • The Universe

This is how wars start..."Josiah" may have his right but not me? If you don't want me to answer, then no one should answer. It's as simple as that. I, also, am standing up to my right and will post as I see fit. If you don't like it...take it up with the Universe. hahahaha If YOU don't like what I say, then simply don't read it. Maybe, just maybe, what I say will help someone. Maybe it won't. But Josiah posting hurtful and ridiculous commentary is luring others to post replies to him. We're simply giving him his jollies for the day so butt out!

September 8, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • Josiah

gliese42, thanks but I'm fine with the universe as it is, having no other choice. I'd rather read the "universe's" responses to my calm and reasonable explanations for why he is being a tard about a few things than to get angry about the whole mess.

September 8, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • The Universe

I am a girl.

September 8, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • curly jo

yeah, but josiah seems like a jerk. surely he can get his point across without slandering others. i do agree with his statement that "the universe" seems egocentric. but when you name call and make fun of others, as in earlier posts, it lessens credibility and turns others against you. i guess maybe he doesn't care though?!

September 8, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Josiah

My opinions are not slander, nor can you slander an anonymous person, so why not look up these words you are using and then try speaking as honesty as possible. If you act like a tard I might say something to that effect and why shouldn't I?
      The universe is "hurtful" and an incredibly dangerous place for any living organism. It's much safer to be a quark than a human here.
      As for "Universe" being a girl, so what? I am an equal opportunity troll. Please continue.

September 8, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  15. Rainer Braendlein

Guess, what is the worst sin in Muhammad's eyes? Answer: Incredible, the worst sin in Muhammad's eyes is it to believe in Jesus Christ:

Sura 5: Verse 72 of the wicked Koran:

They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of mary. The Messiah (himself) said: O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. Lo! whoso ascribeth partners unto Allah, for him Allah hath forbidden paradise. His abode is the Fire. For evil-doers there will be no helpers.
    ( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #72)

Note: Messiah means Jesus Christ.

September 8, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Istrt

Ha, you are full of it buddy. You absolutely have no idea what you are talking about.

Here is a saying of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) about Jesus' return:
      "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, surely (Jesus,) the son of Mary will soon descend amongst you and will judge mankind justly (as a Just Ruler); he will break the Cross and kill the pigs and there will be no Jizya (i.e. taxation taken from non-Muslims). Money will be in abundance so that nobody will accept it, and a single prostration to Allah (in prayer) will be better than the whole world and whatever is in it."
      Reference: Sahih Bukhari – 4.657

September 8, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • J.W

It is not believing in Jesus, but believing that Jesus is equal to God that is a sin in Islam.

September 8, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • gliese42

Rainer@ you are very well learned man so please ignore those who doesn't understand you

September 8, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • J.W

I understood. Why should he ignore me?

September 8, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Duh

Come on. Its obvious that the sin isnt believing in jesus. It is worshiping jesus as God when Jesus himself worshiped God. You ever thought of that. Why is a your God "Jesus" worshiping another God? To worship Jesus is a sin, but to believe in him is required to be a muslim.

September 8, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • RossTrex

Hey Duh, You might want to look up your argument prior to saying something that is incorrect. Jesus called upon his Father in Heaven. To say he Worshiped God is an odd way to make the argument that he is not God's Son. If you read the bible: at Jesus’ baptism God calls Jesus his Son (Mark 1:11). Christians know Jesus is God's Son, Christians also know that the Holy Spirit is God's Spirit. Muslims mis-understand who Jesus is because Mohammed did not know who Jesus is. Most importantly to Muslims: you have committed the one and only unforgivable sin when you deny the Holy Spirit. See Mathew 12:31-32. Then look up what Mohammed says about the Holy Spirit. IF Mohammed was not just a Warlord using God to take over Mecca and he really did bring the final revelation he would have warned his followers about this verse in Matthew. Mohammed reveals himself easily to a Christian or Jew that simply reads his Torah or Bible. The simple sad truth is Mohammed was illiterate and did not know real theology... he only knew what he heard from his few Christian relatives and friends.

September 8, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • Jose

@Ross- Well said Bro!

September 8, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  16. Hunter

The nickleback comment was clever haha

September 8, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Neal Kelley

i like nickleback.. does that make me a terrorist?

September 8, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • Lexhead

I agree. The Nickleback crack made me laugh. And it made a point.

September 8, 2011 at 10:19 am |
  17. SemperFideliS15486372

I completely agree... I spent a year in Iraq with the Marine Corps... 99.9999% of the Iraqi people think insurgents/terrorists are ridiculous, crazy people. As for you Christians opening your disease infested mouths on this post, you make me want to projectile vomit.... Do you think this is a Christian nation? Please, read a REAL history book and you'll find that our forefathers were VERY much against Christianity.. (With the exception of John Jay).. but don't just believe me, believe Washington when he said “Let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.”.

September 8, 2011 at 10:03 am |
    • Josiah

So you polled all those Iraqis, huh? Wow. You sure are full of sh-t. You probably aren't even a Marine. Just a punk who plays videogames and likes to lie.

September 8, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • gliese42

Didn't they came from the Mayflower? Europeans consider them extremist so fled to the promised land to rebuild a new christian nation,

September 8, 2011 at 10:07 am |
    • The Universe

I guess we all know now that it is Josiah who is the punk who likes to play video games and lie. Sounds like a teenager if ever I heard one! The reason I call myself "Universe" is because we are in this Universe and I fear it grows tired of our petty bs...yours included!

September 8, 2011 at 10:18 am |
    • Josiah

The universe is not alive and doesn't grow "tired" of anything, much less the idiotic antics of one tiny strain of monkey-people on a tiny little planet. Your ego-centric views of the universe only show how far you have to go in terms of education.
      When you get a clue, you'll understand the universe and maybe understand yourself better. You are not a god, you are not the universe, and your attempts to ascribe awareness to the universe are laughable and lame.

September 8, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • The Universe

Josiah...this is my last post as I have other things to do. I have had much laughter today at your expense as it is YOU who are laughable and lame. I don't proclaim to be a god but I do proclaim to know that anyone, even you, will suffer what this "living" universe has in store for us. You are not exempt. Things will right themselves and when they do, you'll find out exactly what the universe is. We cannot continue to destroy...ourselves...our planet...everything, without repercussions. We will ALL pay and it's not gonna matter who you are, whether you came from a monkey or not, or what religion you have, or anything else.

September 8, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Josiah

I am already suffering from having to educate you on the realities of this universe, thanks.
      My eyes are open and I have a brain and a memory. Your wild imaginings might comfort you but that does not make them true.

September 8, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  18. gliese42

Why accuse christians? They committed crime in the past and the Europeans got rid of rome's influence. We need another renaissance

September 8, 2011 at 10:02 am |
  19. Amina123

I wasn't even a Muslim on 9-11-2011, and the first thing I said was "Crazy people did that mess." It never crossed my mind that a religion caused the issue. As a Christian, I had seen tons of extremism in Christianity and just acknowledged it for what it was: A person who misunderstood the religion and took it upon themselves to act a fool. Now that I am a Muslim and I know that actions like suicide are a sin, I still say the same thing "Crazy people did that mess." They took it upon themselves to do something that they interpreted as correct. Eternity is a long time to burn...sucks for them.

September 8, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • The Universe

Although I was brought up in a "Christian" household, I do not consider myself "Christian". What I believe is in my heart and holds nothing of the religious content created, interpreted, or manipulated by man. Man is fallible..therefore, to buy into, without question, anything that man has touched...only sets one up for disappointment. What is in my heart is the only true religion there is for me...tolerance, love, acceptance, caring, and preserving this planet we live on while preserving all life on it to the best of our abilities. While I do believe in a "higher power", that "power" does not look like a man, nor does it behave like one! That is the one piece of advice that I can give anyone out there trying to adhere to any existing religion! Only a man made religion would preach death and destruction. Religions that honor behaviors of man have strayed from original truth and bought into man's ideas rather than a true religion.

September 8, 2011 at 10:09 am |
    • Josiah

Original truth? What the hell is that supposed to be? And why call yourself the Universe? Are you super-fat or something?

September 8, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • Fatima

That is an interesting read Amina, why did you convert to Islam after 9/11?

Would be great to hear your story on what made you convert.

September 8, 2011 at 10:16 am |
    • The Universe

Josiah...in the beginning there was original truth. A "society" if you wish that all had a common goal. Survival. They didn't survive to poach and plunder the thoughts of man as we do today, they merely survived. And, at some point, society decided that there were good things that every other member of society should observe...tolerance, kindness, cooperation, thankfulness, love for one another, among many, many other GOOD things. This is MY original truth...you need to put down the video games and find your own original truth.

September 8, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Josiah

What you call "original truth" is totally made-up fakery and wishful thinking. We evolved from dumber creatures and are not all that smart ourselves yet. In fact our primitive brain structures cannot handle the overwhelming information that our increased intelligence gives us and this leads to people like you who think there is some sort of "moral absolute" in this universe when just the opposite is easily demonstrated to be true.
      Moral relativism is how it works. Our "moral values" are only relative to each person's total environment.

September 8, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • hijabi

@josiah.

I coverted to Islam after a lot of research into the true meaning of Islam, not just the media's twist on it. It makes logical sense to me in a way Christianity never did. If you actually did real research it would show you that Islam condoned killing of civilians, and the only reason to go to war is if you are attacked first.

September 8, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Fact

@Amina,

Do you live as part of a harem?
      How different are you from the polygamous sects?
      What are your thoughts on Infidels and how you are taught to treat them?

Answer us Amina, we await your post 9/11 conversion aha moment

September 8, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Josiah

Might I suggest that your research appears to have been very limited and narrow?
      You were led down a very narrow path into believing a great many lies.
      So many lies, in fact, that it shows your research was sorely lacking in due diligence.
      I have read the Q'uran and know just how sick and twisted a belief it actually is.
      You have been fooled into a false belief or you have deliberately chosen to follow what is false for personal reasons, would be my guess.
      And as the Q'uran supports lying to others, no defense can be made without proving yourself to not be lying in the first place, which I very much doubt you will ever be able to do.

September 8, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Fatima

Also Amina, can you tell us what freedom you found as Woman on conversion to Islam?

Can you also list a few things as a woman you felt that you are an equal being in Islam?

September 8, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  20. Rainer Braendlein

Muslims are forbidden to be friends of Jews and Christians.

Sura 5: Verse 51 of the unholy Koran:

O ye who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians for friends. They are friends one to another. He among you who taketh them for friends is (one) of them. Lo! Allah guideth not wrongdoing folk.
    ( سورة المائدة , Al-Maeda, Chapter #5, Verse #51)

Note: “O ye who believe” are Muslims.

September 8, 2011 at 9:43 am |
    • Amina123

Did you read the tafsir (explanation) at the bottom of the page? People pick up a Quran (the correct spelling for you there, bud) and read it in context and then run around calling us heathens. Yet, they will buy a Bible and get the concordance along with it to understand what it means. If you are going to read the Quran, get one with the tafsir in it, or better yet, buy the tafsirs along side it. You would be suprised to find that many things in the Quran are the same as the Bible.

September 8, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Neal Kelley

the koran says "Folks" hahahhaahahahahahahaaha... what are you reading.. the red neck version...

September 8, 2011 at 10:04 am |