home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Yasmin

Mashallah i believe in every word this young man has wrote

September 8, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • dccarles

I do too, except for one thing: white people definitely need to apologize for Nickleback.

(Sorry.)

September 9, 2011 at 1:42 am |
    • Carla

All non-white men should apologize to women for all their abuses, exploitations and enslavement of women for the longest time. The white Christian men were the first ones to abolish the evil in their society because they had the Bible. The white Christian missionaries cured the rest.

September 9, 2011 at 2:40 am |
  2. okayfine

September 8, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
  3. AA

Muslims should stop apologizing and start acting by weeding out the radical elements from their numbers instead of defending and shielding them at every opportunity they get. If they want to stay in this country they should be Americans first and everything else second.

September 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • remember the uss liberty

change muslims to JEWs and you are 100% correct.

ISRAEL DID 911.

Dr. Alan Sabrosky of the US Army War college came out and said it. The top brass of the military knows it.
      Check out "911 missing links" on youtube

September 29, 2011 at 1:42 am |
  4. WhoDaThought

I gotta agree, Muslims should not have to apologize for something done by a group of terrorists. They are linked only by faith and not by political agendas.

Come to think of it, whites should stop apologizing to the blacks for things done to them by our ancestors 150-200 years ago. Sure it was bad – no it was horrible – but it's over. It is time to move on to seeing how we can build up the relationships and not tear them down.

September 8, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  5. Logic

Only those who commit such an act should apologize. Its as simple as that. If 1 person kills another person, the killer should apologize and pay for it - not millions of other people who had no relation to the act. Same logic can be applied to a large scale scenario. Come on people, open your eyes and mind. Think beyond the race, ethnicity, gender, and religion.

September 8, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  6. Muneef

Why should Muslims apologize for some thing they are not involved with...? It was your created virus that did you the hurm and not Muslims or Islam...!!

September 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Muneef

They made the virus and planted it against communism and when it finished it turned against capitalism...they inspired the virus of moves to make and allowed it to happen under their knowledge to latter take the advantage of breaking all laws and protocols invading and interfering with all politics in the name of protecting US National Security

September 8, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  7. RobynH

Actually, if 99.999999999 of all Muslims were unaware of the plan, then only one sixtieth of one person knew the plan.
    I am guessing that not even al-Qaeda is that compartmentalized.

But on a lighter note, if you can hook me up with either a flying carpet or a supervillan laugh. I would be thrilled.

September 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  8. Isabella

Okay, I've read some of these comments some of the are just...sad. I'm 13, and I think I understand equal rights a whole lot more than some of these people. EQUAL means EQUAL. Not, "Oh your different so, no." That's not it.

I've been a Christian since I was born. I've been baptized and confirmed. One thing I learned in Confirmation is that God loves everyone. No exceptions. (So Lady Gaga did get one thing right. Kinda.) And not only that! You have to love everyone too. No exceptions. Doesn't matter the color of their skin, or their abilities, OR religion. I have best friends that are Muslim, and some are Hindu. A lot of my friends are Catholic. And I respect that, just as they respect that I am Christian.

In history class, we're learning about segregation back in the late 1800s. It's amazing how many similarities there are to segregation against African Americans and Native Americans to now, despite how far we think we've come. People are still being denied rights. The right to be able to go to their house of worship without being discriminated. The right to be able to go home and not worry about having absurdities on your door. Things that people that aren't discriminated take for granted.

Also, my family is from Indonesia, where 98% of the population is Muslim. My entire family is Christian. Every Sunday, they go to three hour sermons at their local church. I've been to one of those sermons too. People are packed in, wanting to connect to a greater being, to God. Every day, there is also a man on the speaker, calling for Muslims to come and pray. They want to connect to a greater being too. It strikes me how, in a third-world country like Indonesia, people can live together so much more peacefully than here in America. When we left church, no one on the streets look at us with distaste. No one called us name. Our homes weren't written on, and people didn't come and shout at us to change our ways. They treated us like we are: equals. No one greater than the rest.

And don't pretend that Christians have always been the fairest people. Remember slavery? Most slave owners were Christians, and devout ones at that. Africans were just primitive things that God sent to us to do work. They didn't even consider the Africans that worked for them to be humans. Humans that feel pain, sadness, joy. Humans that have family. Humans that have rights.

So why should we want Muslims to change their faith? If I believe that God is our creator, and the greater being that watches over us, why shouldn't everyone have a choice in what they believe in? Who are we to force people to do what we think is right? Of course, if we are passionate and have true belief in something, it's okay to share it with the world. We should share it with the world. But faith is a choice. You can't force someone to have faith in something.

People are equals. Living beings should be respected. The same being, or force, created us, so no matter what you believe we have to respect. Respect your neighbor, your teacher, that tree in your yard. Call me all the names in the world, but those are words I'll stand by.

September 8, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  9. Jonathan Delahaye

You want to know why? Because when someone blew himself up at an Israeli guard-post all those same organizations condone dit, or even applauded it.
    While I understand the Palestinian plight and empathize that two-faced approach is causing problems for those same organizations that suddenly have to start condemning the same suicide bombs on the "wrong" targets.

September 8, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  10. DW

Aman Ali, this column is little more than the same garbage revisionist propaganda spewed by racial supremacy movements. complete and utter hyperbole.

September 8, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
  11. Fred1

When you talk about 911 you need to ask yourself what would Mohamed have done? Back in his time if he had thousands of nuclear weapons (like the US has) and an antagonistic group slaughtered 3000 Muslim civilians in a sneak attack (like 911) would he have sent in his army to punish just the perpetrators or would he have incinerated every country he suspected of being in the plot into radioactive slag heaps? I don’t think Muslims would have been very happy if America had followed the teachings in the Koran and the examples of Mohamed.

September 8, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Amanda

Fred,

I don't understand what point you are trying to make? According to the Qur'an, Justice is Justice, and eye for an eye. From my understanding, Mohammad would not have declared war on TWO countries, and bombed and killed innocent civilians. He would have looked for the perpetrators of the attack.

You're right, what happened on 911 was terrible, but think about it. 3000 people were murdered on that day. The US declared war in Afghanistan (looking for Al-Qaeda) and about 20,000 people were killed, 8,000 of those were innocent civilians. Do you think that is justice? To murder 20,000 people because 3,000 people were murdered?? That doesn't not even make sense. The only reason why Americans are making such a big deal out of this is because it was in America. But does that mean that the people in Afghanistan don't matter? No! Humans are Humans and deserve the same freedoms and rights.

September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Fred1

@Amanda: From what I’ve read about the prophet he would indeed have invoked “do not attack others unless they attack you” as a pretext to incinerate every opposing people and country he could think of.

Such was the reputation of Muslims for lying and then killing that even those who "accepted Islam" did not feel entirely safe. The fate of the Jadhima is tragic evidence for this. When Muslim "missionaries" approached their tribe one of the members insisted that they would be slaughtered even though they had already "converted" to Islam to avoid just such a demise. However, the others were convinced that they could trust the Muslim leader's promise that they would not be harmed if they simply offered no resistance. (After convincing the skeptic to lay down his arms, the unarmed men of the tribe were quickly tied up and beheaded

September 9, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • remember the uss liberty

Mohammad was the most pacifistic of all the prophets.

There is a story of a Jewish woman who left garbage on his door step every day without fail. One day he saw there was no trash. He was worried about her and went to see her. She was sick, so he left her medicine and wished her well. She became Muslim after that

ISRAEL DID 911.

Check out "911 missing links" on youtube

September 29, 2011 at 1:44 am |
  12. Muneef

I think Muslim community is in deep trouble for it's backwardness and poverty while we see nothing is being done to resolve that...do we no have any other more important things to discuss than Birthdays or which foot first or this or that? So many things are being discussed and focused on that which has nothing about perfecting us as Muslims in front of the other nations...

Our nation was once a "Light House of knowledge for all those nations...but today we are being given as the worse example among the nations...!! Why was that and where we went wrong? What has to be reviewed and be adjusted... It was our Imams and the educated Muslims behind the failure of the Image of Islam on the face of the nations of earth...
    It was us as Muslims who should have been highly educated masses and be one of the most prosperous nations covered under the Islamic umbrella...
    Islam was based on the investment of the human being knowledge as to Read,Think and Learn for making the benefit beneficial for all Human beings... Islam was based on Mercifulness towards human beings and towards bringing them to know what they do not know with out compelling their belief nor to killing them for not adopting what they do not know of or for their belief...

If the Majority of Muslim Nation are seen in deep poverty, backwardness, ignorance,uneducated and accused worldwide as being as Sa-v-age and Barbar-i-ans ?? Who would you think would believe you are on the right track? Was or Is that really what we wanted to achieve for Islam Image? How would GOD "Allah" or his Ring Messenger and Prophet..think of our achievements for Islam Image..? What ever is happening is causing fears and doubts to other nations who no longer now want to eat with Muslims or live by Muslims and that is happening now to all Islamic nation worldwide..! They are doubted in fear of their mentality and intentions of their hearts towards other living human beings..! Was it that what we wanted for Islam or was it like that how it should have been??
    In the past of earlier decades every nation or individuals of any nation were happy to deal or trade or buy from Islamic traders marking them as being most honest and truthful...that's how they were known as traders who's their sea trade extended from Indian ocean to the China Sea...those other than the land transportation by Camel Caravans moving between the South and North as well as between the far East and the far West...!!

How can we regain the image of Islam as a religion of Honesty,Knowledge and Prosperity for the Nation of Islam... It was one of the saddest things to see that Islam has no longer one major "Bait Maal Almuslimeen" "The Islamic Wealth Vault" which could have used such funds to encourage such developments to the nation rather than on hate or terror suicidal acts that Islam being abused by...!
    Asking GOD "Allah" for forgiveness for what has been said as a reminder to our nation and leaders... That we should not take the Shells for discussions and leave behind the True Heart of the Message relaid upon us to carry in the best of Image and acts.. Just remember that Pen could be a better weapon than Swords... With Pens we will spill Oceans of Inks but with Swords we will spill oceans of bloods..
    Peace to all,

September 8, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
    • USmellLikePee

Jesus people! Just because it allows you to post a novel doesn't mean everyone wants to read one. Keep it short and to the point.

September 8, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Muneef

The extremes are a heartache to those in the middle of the ideology of "Live and Let Live"... Because even those living as being the Isthmus between extremes...are considered by the extremes as traitors if not the enemy... May GOD "Allah"have mercy upon all those with Good intentions towards Humenity and Livings...Amen

September 8, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Will_Not_Apologize

Why should anyone apologize to US when they have never apologized for any of the criminal acts they've committed around the around.
      They've killed tens of thousands of children and women via their drone attacks in Baluchistan, Pakistan but such terrorist acts never get any media coverage because it's a third world country or is it because lives of these women and children are not worth as much as an American life?
      American have done enough damage in the world already in the name of 9/11. It's time they stop and it's time they realize that A LOT more people have suffered from what they have done and before the entire world turns against them they should stop and stop begging for apologies to hide their own misdeeds.

September 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
  13. I appologize

I am sorry guys. I'm sorry that you are too afraid/lazy/ignorant to search for the truth that the Quran presents. And I am so sorry for anyone who was hurt, or is hurt, because they choose to take Quranic verses out of context and use it to their advantage in committing evils against others. Currently, Muslims are killing Muslims in the middle east! Christians are killing Muslims, and Muslims are killing Christians. People are dying as we speak all in the name of convenience.

Allah says,
    {Do not follow your own desires and deviate from the truth. If you twist or turn away, God is aware of what you do.} (Qur'an 4: 135)
    Allah says {You who have Faith! show integrity for the sake of God, bearing witness with justice. Do not let hatred for a people incite you into not being just. Be just. That is closer to taqwa (God consciousness). Have taqwa of God. God is aware of what you do.} (Qur'an 5: 8)

{Mankind! We created you from a male and female, and made you into peoples and tribes so that you might come to know each other. The noblest among you in God's sight is the one with the most taqwa. God is All-Knowing, All-Aware.} (Qur'an 49: 13)

September 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  14. Nobody needs his appology

9/11 became define moment for XXI century Islam the same way as WWII and Holocaust became define moments for Nazism or Stalin's/Mao's repressions became synonyms for Communism or Crusades for Christianity. Most common Muslim reaction on 9/11 -"9/11 was wrong BUT...". Most popular Muslim name in 2001outside US – Osama. It is just reflection of well hidden fact – most of the World don't welcome Americans.

September 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • yoga man

Hmmm. Now we have some educated people on the discussion.

September 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Muslims have not butchered any body like you westerners have butchered Jews

Does their arrogance has any thing to do with that ?

September 8, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  15. reality

Right on, These Anti-Muslim Nazis should not be tolerate any more, They should apologize for all the Serb atrocities on Muslims before they ask any apology from Muslims.

September 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  16. Nicole

I completely agree with you. Catholics aren't forced to apologize for attrocities committed by other Catholics, for example, and you shouldn't have to apologize for the actions of psycho extremists that happen to share parts of your religion.

September 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • yoga man

Right on. I m no muslim by far but don't target any religion. People are bad not religion.

September 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Fred1

Seems to me catholics have been doing a lot of appologising for their pedophile prests lately

September 8, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  17. Marsh

I'm a German born (1961) Jew, imagine my conflict. I feel like I have to apologize for WWII, I wasn't a victim of the Holocaust or on this planet then. My parents still have an accent after 40 years in the US, they get bizzarre questions all the time, like they had any control over where the country was going at the time. It's hard for people to move forward and think critically and logically after tragic events.

September 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • yoga man

People need to understand that do not label anyone with their religion. We are all humans. If someone thinks that christians, buda followers never do anything, well, police and other agences were in place b4 Muslim came to US

September 8, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  18. Nathan_Brazil

Sorry Aman, but you are quite wrong. Why? Because there have been CONTINUED relentless terroristic attacks in the name of Islam. An MORE IMPORTANTLY, Muslims DID NOT come out against such attacks right after 9/11. There was mostly SILENCE for quite a while afterwards. So most American's developed the belief that most Muslims either supported the attacks or at least did not care. Most mosques and spokes people either had no comment or talked about who the US had contributed to their own suffering for years. True or not, or based upon a desire not to incur the wrath of their more extreme members, they cemented the concept of "us and them" Muslim Americans and non-Muslim Americans". Things got better later, but the die was already case perception-wise.

September 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • yoga man

Great great great. I consider you brave.

September 8, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • yoga man

Were you protesting anywhere? Brazilians know anything else but football or soccer? Please don't comment unless you have read the history.

September 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • reality

What about Iraq war where millions of people died because of American invasion, what about all the deaths because of "God given land" fanatics ? Should every Christian apologize for that ? Probably you will also need to apologize for all the genocides happened to Muslims in Bosnia.

September 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Reality

Our War on Terror and Aggression:

An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)

The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent Body Count

as the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

Continued below:
      Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[3][7] and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
      – The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943[1][2]) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).[3] His trial began on 3 June 2011.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

September 8, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  19. Chris

I think the writer should apologize for such a badly written article.

September 8, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • yoga man

Don't worry about the writing, try to get the message. I hope you are not the one who needs to learn toaster everyday. 🙂

September 8, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • tdlowden

Poorly. It'd be poorly written article. Thanks for negating your own comment.

September 8, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  20. derp

"Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?"

What a jack azz. When nickleback, or any other white person, kills three thousand people then we will apologize for them. For now, we just want you to apologize far having such a ridiculously stupid looking beard.

It is not hipster cool to have an overgroomed face patch. It's g ay, and you should apologize.

September 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • yoga man

Hey derp, you mispelled your name, J at the begingin and k at the end.

September 8, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • reality

You Nazis must apologize first because you killed millions of innocent Iraqis.

September 8, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Tim

Iraq, 2000's; Vietnam, 1960s-'70s; Hiroshima/Nagasaki/Dresden, 1945; The Philippines, 1900's; African and Native Americans, USA, 1700-1800's. Way more than 3,000 innocent people killed in each one of those places, by white people. Hitler, Stalin, (and their friends and allies) the colonization of Africa, Mainland and Southeast Asia. Millions upon millions more. So I suppose we should conclude that western or "white" ideology condones the killing of innocents, and that each one of us with fair skin or European or American ancestry is personally responsible for each one of these deaths.

September 8, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • derp

I was in agreement with this writing challenged asshat until he said....

"Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that"

White is not a religion, and Islam is not a skin color. I'm white, an atheist, and I don't expect all muslims to apologize for 9/11.

But when you generalize me ( a white person ) in an article that is supposed to be about not generalizing people, you lose all credibility. This guy is hack, his writing blows, his logic is flawed, and his beard is beyond stupid looking.

September 8, 2011 at 5:36 pm |