home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Rob

Thumbs up from Gahanna!

September 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  2. Bob

Do you really expect to be taken seriously when you compare Nickelback releasing another album to mass murder? Made even more odd when you take a religious stance and then turn it in to a racially oriented stance.

September 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

I agree.

I mean Bob Dillons Christmass album was CLEARLY an abomination.

September 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Robert

It was a joke...

September 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • T Hoss

as was williams post, smarts.

September 7, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  3. John Richardson

Welcome to the world of perpetual collective guilt tripping. Take a number and stand in line.

September 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • reality

@Rick , Nice Nazi propaganda you have right there , whats next ? extermination of all Muslims ? but remember Muslims are not Jews. They got nukes.

September 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  4. BookerLeetz

I agree entirely with your sentiments expressed in the article. I too believe it's not the Muslim communities place to apologize for extremist wack-jobs that only have hate in their hearts, just as I don't expect the entire Christian community to apologize for idiots like Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church. What I would expect to see and have not to date, is the kind of outrage expressed by the Muslim community over the Dutch cartoonists depicting Mohammad, or Phelps burning a Koran . It doesn't seem right that Muslims will outright riot and kill people over a picture but you won't see that kind of anger directed at people who blow up 100s of people in the name of Islam.

Don't apologize to me or anyone over 9/11, but get outright angry and protest the actions of those that give your religion such a negative depiction instead of blogging about it or making a few statements to the media. That would make a lot more sense to me.

September 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • The Runs

Well said! When you look at Fred Phelps or the crazy guy who wanted to burn the Koran, tons of Christians came out to protest and publicly denounce these actions as those that do NOT represent Christianity. Where are the Muslims doing the same? They are very few and far between, we just get one angry guy go on a rant.

September 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • masmanz

Tonnes of Muslims have condemned the actions of 9/11 terrorists. Many have even fought against them. But we can see only what the media chooses to show us. And these stories are probably uninteresting to the media.

September 24, 2011 at 12:50 am |
  5. Anon2

"What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. "

Or better yet, convert to Christianity since Jesus Christ, who is God Himself and Son of the Father, paid the ultimate price for your salvation and of which there is no other way to enter into Heaven since He Himself is the gatekeeper. Renounce your false religion of hate and become the true children of God paid for by the agonizing Passion and Death of Jesus Christ

September 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • A Muslim

Wow! That convinced me! Where do I sign up?!?

September 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • wow

do you really believe this BS you bable. god himself, son of god, blah blah blah... its stories that only ignorant no can think people like you fall for. the idea of religion is to give folks a moral guideline, not use it to do what you christians have been doing for centuries and what muslims have been doing the last two decades.

hey, here's an idea. how about not stealing all the natural resouces in that region. that's what all this is and has been throughout time. religion has always been the excuse when in reality it is a cancer that folks use to spew garbage.

September 7, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • wow

hey, did you just get done watching the passion of christ by mel gibson. sounds like you have. are you married to your sister??

September 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Anon2

Jesus said 'I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Nobody comes to the Father except through me.'
      "Narrow is the path that leads to life and few there are who find it."

Based on these comments, I can see that He was correct

September 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • wow

really?? didy you hear him say that or did you read it in the story book? maybe someone told you in a gaudy building somewhere then asked you to put money in a basket. yes, you're right. i can imagine the kind of life you live and what you have most likely put your children through... got to go, i hear banjo's...

September 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Jimmy

Sheep.

September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • wow

phew, i just took my meds and am starting to get back to normal. excuse all my babbling before, im a little looney, which you can probably already tell.

September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • wow

now that's funny... now i'm a true american. you're really not one till you buy an SUV, invade several countries and wonder why they're mad at you and take some or all form of drugs (legally too).

September 7, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • Josephine

Anon2, You forget that the terrorists of the medieval period were non other than your blessed Christians. boys and girls why don't you all grow up and stop arguing? Do you think this YOUR religion can be forced on the FREE minds of the others? Ben laden was no muslim, he was a true MF SOB who just could not get laid and was not happy about it. There is no perfect religion operating in the planet today, no matter what anyone thinks. If you believe that you can be nice to your fellow humans then you're almost there. Otherwise, do us a favor and check in at the closest insane asylum.

September 8, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • tee

umm Jesus Christ...who is God himself...yeah, still doesn't make sense to me.

September 8, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • reality

LOL!! Lunatics.

September 8, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Ray

Anon2,

All we can do is share the truth in love, the rest is up to God. Amen

September 27, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Muslimah

the son of the god and father what? who wants to convert to a religion that itself makes no sense starting with who is the real god? Jesus was our Prophet too, and he was sent by God the same God who sent Mohammad. Islam makes more sense, read the Quran and maybe you will convert instead! 😉

October 7, 2011 at 1:09 am |
  6. Wastrel

... especially since they don't mean it.

September 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
  7. Dave

Jonathan and AJMY, thanks for you posts,,,the ony ones that made sense. Let me start by saying I'm a white male, born right here in the USA, and raised a Catholic.
    Too many christians comdemn the Qu'ran for a few quotes they've heard from either Christian or Muslim fanatics who use scripture to their own ends. These same christians might have an eye opening experience if they would actually read their own Bible. Filled with war, revenege, and even hate crimes, all sanctioned (or supposed to be) by G*d.
    If you quote any scripture, be aware of two things. What was the time and society situation in which it was written, and please,,,at least read all of the chapter/verse,,so you can take it in context.
    Fortunately for all of us,,,while they might be the most vocal,,,the fanatics are the extreme minority.

September 7, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Anon2

You are no Catholic if you don't even understand that the New Testament which is based on the outpouring of Grace and Mercy from the death of Jesus Christ replaced the old Testament which was based on the Law itself. You show true ignorance of your own faith

September 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Stevie7

@Anon2
      So good Catholics ignore Matthew 5:17? "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets"

Can you point to where in the NT that jesus says he was just kidding about this? There are some very specific references in the NT where god backs away from previous commandments – like the shellfish thing – but they are very limited and specific. Maybe you want to actually read your own book.

September 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Jonathan

@Dave Thank you and you're welcome. I comment mostly for my own personal satisfaction. Most people are set in their beliefs, and I'm not naive enough to believe that I can change them, but I enjoy blowing off some steam and practicing my debating skills (even if those who are actually interested in a meaningful dialogue are in the minority). Most just seek out sources that justify their preconceived notions. I would also add that one of the wisest things I've heard is: "You cannot rationally argue someone out of a position they were not rationally argued into."

I don't intend that as a blanket statement for all of the folks commenting here, but for those whom the shoe fits...

September 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Thor

"Too many christians comdemn the Qu'ran for a few quotes they've heard from either Christian or Muslim fanatics who use scripture to their own ends." .....are you serious? A "few" quotes? Maybe you really do need to read the Qu'ran/ Koran/Kuran/ heretic insanity storybook and compare it to the "Christian/Catholic" storybook. You WILL find more than just a "few" passages that purport its readers/followers/"children" to kill in the name of this god figure/state of being. There is soooo much based on ignorance simply because people have not read the Muslim storybook nor the Christian storybook. I think the bottom line is that this guy who wants Muslims to stop apologizing for 9/11 needs to forget that non-Muslims don't want your apology. That won't bring back the thousands that you have celebrated killing.

September 14, 2011 at 9:14 am |
    • Brian Macker

@Stevie7, I just read your Matthew 5 quote in context. He states a whole bunch of stuff that is quite contradictory to the old testament then he says 5:17? "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets" So the question is what does he mean by this. Which law and which prophets. It appears that he is speaking of Moses and the ten commandments because he refers to the "commandments". He also lists a couple of laws in the ten commandments but gives them twists that are contrary to the old testament after saying this. This is the section of the bible that says stuff like "Love your enemies". You are twisting the obvious content and context of the message.

Whereas the opposite holds true for the more reasonable messages of the Quran. In context they are surrounded by hate and extremism. Often Mohammad is twists peaceful statements around from other religions to make them war like or intolernat. For example he makes the absurd pronouncement that "persecution [of muslims] is worse than slaughter[of non-muslims]'. The context of which was his expulsion from Mecca for conspiring with Meccas enemies, stirring up trouble for over a decade, etc. Mecca was a peaceful religiously tolerant city that had a common shrine for all polytheists so the could worship their separate gods together in peace. Mecca depended on the tourist trade so to speak. Then in comes Mohammad storming into the shrines of others to denounce their beliefs. He kept trespassing in this way and was bad for business and was disturbing the peace. So they kicked him out.

When he made this new rule about when you are allowed to slaughter not only Meccans, but others in general he was trying to get his followers to raid Mecca's caravans, and murder them outright. So he claimed that an angel came to him and told him that Allah had made this new rule that Muslim's should slaughter anyone who "persecutes" them. Which taken in context means stands up to their intolerance.

They've been slaughtering others ever since.

September 16, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  8. marc

Why should American Muslims apologize to begin...do the entire American white race apologize for Timothy McVeigh when he blew up the Oklahoma Federal Building?

September 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • BG

Oh sharts... it's that soggy old Timothy McVeigh analogy again. You need to look up who is was and why he did what he did.... and 'muslim' isn't a race, much as some would like it to be.

Muslims need to do more than 'apologize.' If the koran wasn't so perfect you could change it, preach the changes, and ferret out your antagonists.

What's that? You're telling me that the antagonists aren't wrong?

I'm confused, so I must be a bigot.

September 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • otong indonesia

the problem is in ur heart! why u think that u moslem should apologise, while the problem 100% is islam jihadist? u should check ur heart and no hipocricy about waht u beleive to wht the islam jihadist did in all over the world ?

September 8, 2011 at 7:52 am |
    • Thor

Please review what was done with Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nicols. White people rendered that justice. White people did not dance in the streets to celebrate what those two criminals did. White people don't need to apologize for that. In the same vein, Muslims killed thousands of NON-MUSLIMS (whites/blacks/asians/arabs/hispanics/natives etc...). Muslims danced in the streets celebrating the death and destruction. Muslims hid bin Laden. Muslims had to be forced to call up their populations to arms against terrorists. Muslim clerics failed to stand up against the death and destruction. The ENTIRE Muslim faith is obviously NOT sorry for what happened and in fact celebrated it. ALL of the Muslim faith must pay.

September 14, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • Jose M. Pulido

marc:
      Apologize to whom? Was the Federal Murrah building an Islamist mosque?

September 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  9. Why

Why you should you ever have to Apologize to an infidel? Duh.

September 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Pagan

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone."

September 7, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Bagels

@Who-who is an infidel?

September 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Peace

We don't need your aplogies , we just want to see Love in action.

September 7, 2011 at 1:58 pm |
    • Thor

You really don't. For us heathens, you simply have to pay.

September 14, 2011 at 9:23 am |
  10. Scott H

Wait, so they (Muslims) want us to lighten-up after something that happened 11 years ago. Okay, but will they lighten up about the Crusades, which happened...oh....1700 years ago? Probably not.

September 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • masmanz

1700 years ago? Your knowledge of history is not very good. I have not heard anyone asking you to apologize for the sins of your forefathers.

September 24, 2011 at 12:56 am |
  11. Pagan

The Koran wants me dead!

September 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Christian with a Jew Friend and his Buddhist Wife

Us too!

September 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • Atheist

I'm the first to go 🙁

September 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Muslim

Muahaha...*strokes beard* *rides away on my supercharged camel GT*

September 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • Thor

My ancestors easily handled Muslims by eating them.

September 14, 2011 at 9:29 am |
    • masmanz

The Koran doesn't want you dead. It only wants you to see the truth. And if you choose not to then it simply says: There is no compulsion in religion.

September 24, 2011 at 1:00 am |
  12. MsMHS

This man is ridiculous and CNN again spawns such trash. The book of faith of the Muslim religion wants to take over the entire world and if that ain't terrorism, I don't know what is.

September 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Phreddy Felps

This man is ridiculous and CNN again spawns such trash. The book of faith of the Christian religion wants to take over the entire world and if that ain't terrorism, I don't know what is.

September 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  13. Rick McDaniel

Would you prefer they apologize for trying to force their religion on the entire planet?..........because that is precisely what they are really doing.

September 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Concerned

Um, so do Christians.... missionaries everywhere, evangelicals, "spread the word", they make it their personal responsibility to "save souls"... they're just not as violent about it. Well, not recently, anyways...

September 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Sereena

Islam itself says not to force people for anything.. I am a Muslim and just to aware you of something.. almost every month a christian knocks on my door and hands me the bible.. do i mind that? no..
      Do i go around posting things about Christianity?
      Funny thing is when a white christian man or woman goes around shooting and killing people they are forgotten about or announced as mentally unstable.. however lets say if a Muslim kills someone then the world ends because its a Muslim.. is that fair at all? It's a free country we can practice any religion or no religion.. don't go around saying things about Islam if you have 'heard it' or 'read it' somewhere.. make sure you have the correct information..

September 12, 2011 at 3:26 am |
    • Thor

Hey Sereena, this is what I READ:

Qur’an:9:88 “The Messenger and those who believe with him, strive hard and fight with their wealth and lives in Allah’s Cause.”
      Qur’an:9:5 “Fight and kill the disbelievers wherever you find them, take them captive, harass them, lie in wait and ambush them using every stratagem of war.”

There are many more passages from where that came! Clear enough?

September 14, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • Corrector

For Thor-

If you are going to put a verse from the Quran you need to put in context. Read the full thing and understand the meaning. Quran is not written based on American english. Anyways, let me explain. Chapter 9 that so many like you have used as a reason to call Islam a terrorist religion. There are a lot of verses that talk about death and killing, but do you know that this verse/surah was revealed at the time the polytheists betrayed their treaty with the Muslims and waged war against them? Even after waging war against the Muslims, and betraying the Muslims, the verses say to the Muslims that if a polytheist seeked protection with you, then they must grant him protection. Ofcourse you are going to not understand it completely and I don't blame you for you ignorance. Don't spread hate.

September 15, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
    • remember the uss liberty

the muslims just want to live in pea e. they have no aspirations for "world domination" they cannot even keep people from invading their nations and killing their families. how can they rule the world?

The quran is the most peaceful of the religious books. why do you think you never see imams debating priests. the priests get exposed every time for being illogical ignoramouses. This is why it never happens

The JEWISH talmud is the book that exposes world conquest as the highest ideal. this is the real threat.

ISRAEL DID 911
      -Dr Alan Sabrosky of the US Army War college said this and the whole top brass of the military knows it.

We are under the attack of religious nutcases but they sure ain't muslim!

September 29, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Muslimah

when was th last time a Muslim came upto you to sell the Quran? Like any other preacher of Christianity do? Heck you guys need to sell the damn bible to get your messages. So cheap! You also invade people's privacy by calling or knocking somone's door! how desperate r u? your religion is not the truth! It's a business!

October 7, 2011 at 1:17 am |
  14. rudyortiz

Mr. Ali: I, for one, do not expect Muslims to keep on apologizing for 9/11. I expect Muslims to join the military to fight against our countrie's enemies; all of them including Muslims. But it is interesting to note that very few Muslims in America join the military to defend the country that is providing you and your parents with the freedom you were unable to enjoy in the Muslim countries you came from. Instead, the few that do join seem to wiind up killing Amercian soldiers.

September 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • J.W

Can you provide statistics of this please?

September 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Lisa

Wow...you sound like a true idiot. I have a muslim friend in the military USMC to be exact...funny thing is, he's from the Caribbean, as am I. The last time I checked...we were running free at the beaches...enjoying Carnival...and celebrating everyone elses religion in the country whether Muslim, Christian or Hindu. Next time keep your mouth shut...not every Muslim is from the middle east, and not every Muslim thinks like a terrorist.

September 8, 2011 at 9:00 am |
    • Muslimah

sorry but we don't volunteer to fight for a war that has no intention to bring peace but to kill billions of innocent lives over th 9/11. This War has murdered more innocents than the 9/11 did. Just how you don't care about Muslims dying in other worlds, we don't join an army that kills people for their personal satisfaction.

October 7, 2011 at 1:21 am |
  15. Uncouth Swain

I never thought Muslims had to say they were sorry at all. They should show the same level of disgust that those idiots that brought 9/11 on us. But it's not Muslims fault anymore than the Crusades were all Christians fault.

September 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  16. Raziyah21

ITs just strange how i am spanish american who reverted in May 2010. On 9/11. i was in Catholic all giirls High School and was obviously not Muslim. my Belief in Islam. and my peaceful way of life as labled me a Terroists!. Subhan'Allah .. People are so Ignorant it is very shameful!. If u choose to have no faith or belief Fine! no problem... but if you happen to be jewish or christian you definitly should resaerch and study your Holy Book. ! TOrah Old Testemenet or New.Get your facts straight people. same theory! look around neighbors are Muslim and they mean know harm. most american muslims are sweethearts!.. You all have got it all twisted.. You have labled people on clothing culture and lifestyle.! its a shame.. think about it ? have you ever spoken and seen a Muslims heart mind and soul? Italian Mafia kill people! commit cold blooded murder.. even bury people alive.. shoot in churches and then ask Jesus Christ to forgive them right after. Are all Catholics murders?.

September 7, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  17. Anon2

So it isn't a tenant of the Muslim 'faith' that the whole world should fall under one Caliphate with Sharia law as the principle legal system where Christians and jews must pay a tax, become 2nd class citizens, submit or die? Jesus told His disciples to go and convert the nations in the name of the Holy Trinity. Muhammad, all by himself and with no witnesses, claims that an angel inspired him to write the Koran even when his own family members called him insane and possessed. Muhammad was a pirate, a thief, a liar, a war monger, a rapist, a murderer, and you call him a holy prophet? At least Jesus had witnesses to His miracles. Jesus is the True Son of God and is God Himself. This Muhammad guy... he is a false prophet, Islam is a counterfeit religion and the 'god' that inspired this so called religion of peace is no other than Satan himself. Yes, every muslim should apologize for not only 9/11 but for every other atrocity committed under the guise of this cult of hate and shame.

September 7, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • Rob F

"Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself."

There are plenty of places to quote Mohammad directly in the Quran (Shura) saying that all non-believers should be killed.

September 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Anon.

Isn't it a tenant of Christian faith that failure to worship Jesus will get you an eternity in Hell?

Isn't it a tenant of Christian faith that God will destroy BILLIONS of humans who do not kiss his Palestinian rear end?

September 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • xapns

William Demuth,

You are correct but if you read your quotes correctly it is God's choice that will do the judging and the condemning and not man's for man is not God. Kill all non believers tells man to be the judge and executioner. Huge difference there buddy

September 8, 2011 at 9:05 am |
  18. Walim

Why should we apologize?

The Kuran did not ask us to apologize.

September 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • Nerd

So you go by the book? No apologies in your book huh?

September 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Did the Koran ask you to roast 3000 innocent people?

September 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  19. Jonathan

"...do not leave alive anything that breaths. Completely destroy them...as the Lord your God has commanded you..." Deuteronomy 20:16, NIV.

September 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Jeesh..can't even cherry pick the entire verse.

September 7, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
    • Anon2

Now read anything that Jesus said in the New Testament. Jesus, the True Son of God and God Himself who paid the ultimate price for the salvation of men of goodwill who believe in Him with His very own precious Divine Body and Blood. The victory has already been won but satan and his false religion of Islam and false prophet muhammad will continue to wage war against God's elite right up until the consummation of the whole world because he knows his time is very short indeed.

September 7, 2011 at 1:45 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Anon2

Do you have ANY idea how crazy your post makes you sound?

What are you, chained to a radiator is some crazed Baptist indoctrination school?

It sounds like the ravings of a mad man!

September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Answer

Hey William,

Calling William .. here.. this is your calling..

You are needed in this set of comments. Direct your ire here.
      Go give these Jesus freaks a taste of your venom.

September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  20. Tracy L.

"But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?"

You know, that's what white people have been saying for generations about slavery! Not one single living white person had a thing in the world to do with slavery..... but yet..... black people (as a whole, there are exceptions to every rule), still want us to apologize and give them everything so that all they have to do is just have babies and run the streets. The irony of having a black Muslim yell, "I didn't do it! Don't hold me accountable for what others have done!" It’s funny because I bet you also have the very same arguments concerning white/black racism and you more than likely hold the whites today responsible for the actions of whites yesterday. We are not even going to touch on the subject as to how the African’s sold the slaves to the white man. Good golly no. Because they shouldn’t be held accountable either. Just the whities.

And while 99.99999999 percent of Muslims had nothing to do with 9/11 – 100 percent of whites today had nothing to do with slavery. And you hear absolutely nothing about the thousands and thousands of whites who died to end slavery, who fought and died for equality. No. All you hear about is how bad the ‘white man’ is. Now, I don’t know about you………. But I have yet to hear one single story about Muslims in this country standing up and fighting back against the terrorists or extremists that are in this country right now! No. They just sit back and play the ‘poor, pitiful, misunderstood me’ role – just like the blacks. Maybe that’s why so many blacks are drawn to the religion?

The Muslim religion is messed up, pure and simple. If anything, the Muslim religion has its own form of slavery going on with the females of that belief. When there is a religion out there that tells you it’s okay to murder your daughter, or wife simply because you think they bought shame on you and your family…. Then there is a serious problem with that religion and the followers. Mental problems. Deep rooted mental problems.

It’s very sad. Very, very sad.

And no offense – I have several Muslim friends and my daughter attends a charter school run by Muslims – not one single one of them has apologized to me. So who the helI are these people apologizing too that you find so offensive?

Maybe your anger is because you know deep down you should apologize for the actions of your fellow brothers? I know if my child murdered someone else’s child……… even though I had nothing to do with it…………… I would still be inclined to apologize just because the other person was suffering through no fault of their own and my compassion would drive me to want to soothe them – even if they didn’t want it. I would want that other person to know that I did not raise my child like that and I am so, so sorry for their pain.

You think you are too good to apoligize to others for the crimes people of your religion has committed? Please. Get over yourself.

September 7, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Jonathan

Wow. Your post is full of racist bigotry.

September 7, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • AJMY

I absolutely agree with your entire post... simply because... I was thinking the same exact thing while I was reading the article!!! I don't expect Muslims to apologize, as I don't apologize for my ancestors. I am sorry it happened-both slavery and 9/11–but I only expect those involved to apologize..the rest of us? We need to learn from the mistakes made, and move on!!

September 7, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • J.W

Why do the Muslims need to apologize to you? I have never been asked to apologize to a black person for slavery or anything else that my race has done. If we are gonna apologize for everything our race has done how far back to we have to go? 10 years? 100? 1000?

September 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • marc

Tracy L. you have just set the entire white race back 100 years with your racist post thanks alot. I believe you made it easier for people to blame whites not for their actions of yesterday but for their stereo type racist lies of today. Tell me when was the last time a black person knocked on your door asking you for a apology....I wish the low class white trash would stay in their trailer and just keep their mouths closed.

September 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • I. Dislike Racists

Tracy,

If your child killed someone else's you would be right to apologize. You raise your children, and they are a reflection of your upbringing. If you raise a murderer, then by all means, you should share the burden of consequences for doing such a poor job. I, on the other hand, am a second generation American, having four Jewish grandparents (God rest their souls) who came to the U.S. to escape the Holocaust. (I'm assuming you either deny the Holocaust or blame those pesky Jews for bringing on the wrath of the Christians of the day.) I became a Muslim last year, and guess what? No one has tried to get me to strap a bomb onto a vest, hate Jews, Christians, or Americans, or do or be anything UnAmerican.

I am guessing that as a Christian, you routinely apologize for pedophilic priests, Nazis, KKK'ers and other Christian racists, right? Did you apologize for Timothy McVeigh when he blew up the Oklahoma Federal Building? Surely, you must be doing a lot of apologizing – afterall, these are your fellow Christians committing all these atrocities (on a recurring basis) so you must feel very ashamed and responsible for them, as you SHOULD!

September 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Iman Moohamud

@Johnathan where is this bigotry you speak of? Oh yeah, in your black cold heart.

September 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • Jonathan

@Iman Here's the bigotry: "black people (as a whole, there are exceptions to every rule), still want us to apologize and give them everything so that all they have to do is just have babies and run the streets."

Implying that all black people want is to have babies and run the streets is incredibly bigoted, racist and ignorant.

But why don't you go ahead and just continue making ad hominem attacks against me? It's not as if the comment section should serve as a forum for meaningful dialogue, right?

September 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • AJamstA

Now listen here Tracy. You have a problem, still living in the past. Yes it is wrong that African Americans nowadays are still taking advantage of the past, and yes they should stop there druggie houses, booming babies, and crimes. But how will they? I am not talking about all African Americans, I am speaking about the under educated, the people who come up in a poverty struck neighborhood where gang activity might take place. In a place where uneducated people roam and drag the population down with them. Now here is the point I am trying to make, if they had a better education, if their parents were smarter in the raising of their children, maybe they would be of higher class and not be taking advantage of the society. They are not eating solely off of the white man. Countless faiths and ethnicities are among the white man here in the great nation of the United States. They are eating off of us too. With there laziness for work, cry for welfare because they might not know what a condom is and knock up some woman and be stuck with a child and no financials, or because they are alcoholic, druggies, or even drug dealers. Once again I am not saying all of them are, but I am confident that there are a lot out there. I would like this law go into effect that has to do with drug testing welfare recipients. It should be random tests as well. Sure it may cost more money to do, but in the end it may cut spending on idiots who abuse the welfare. And I am not just talking about a particular race, I am talking about anybody and everybody. Well back to the topic. Muslim religion has more then 50 sets of it. Some believe in one thing, while others disagree. Sure the terrorists that attacked us may have claimed to be Muslim, but really, which set were they? And how did they interpret their Qur'an? Obviously as far as I know, my Qur'an does not state to do acts of violence to a particular group without justification. It does not state, follow Islam or die. I do not know where people find this stuff, well I guess I may have an idea because the person who wrote this article claimed that idiots posted websites with their opinions, but in truth these people are idiots because they are not well educated. As Mr. Ali said, "Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website," these people do not really know what they may be talking about for they are just hateful and want to point fingers. Anyways, I have much more to say, but I am done. Peace to all and your families.

September 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • BG

@ J.W & marc

" I have never been asked to apologize to a black person for...."

We -all- apologize, every day, through Affirmative Action and EEO programs. We post jobs in specific locations, hire the right candidates, and track our ongoing compliance. These efforts at cleansing our conscience and offering some form of resti tution, and acknowledgment of wrong-doing will go back (and forward) as far as it needs to go. Our guilt will outlive the reality that the programs are no longer needed. We won't even know when that is.

Now show me a similar example of muslim guilt.

There are none.

September 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • BG

@ I. Dislike Racists

Congrats on your new religion. You've done -exactly- what Islamic doctrine has required of kuffar.

You're ahead of the game. You don't have to pay the ji zya, and you're still alive. All due to your guilt / depression / impressionability/ loneliness, etc. Well done. Enjoy your new friends.

September 7, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Jimmy

AJamstA, Most of these "laziness for work, cry for welfare" people I see in welfare line are white. Poor, white, ignorant, and full of hate. And BG, you are a completely irrelevant and bitter child.

September 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Jasper

Although I am not Muslim, I found your commentary extremely racist, ignorant and elitist. There are so many judgmental statements that have no basis in fact it is alarming. Let’s start with your statement that there are no Caucasian (whites) alive today that had anything to do with slavery. Although this statement is true there are many alive today that took part in lynching and Jim Crow. Let us not forget that we are a little more than forty years outside the civil rights movement, which is one generation. My mother and father where both victims of segregation in a very dark time in our countries past, and no one in my family has every asked for or wanted an apology for any person of Caucasian decent. I was taught to love everyone and learn for the past. As an African American I don’t know anyone that wants or expects an apology so you are using overgeneralization. Just as you over generalized when you stated “Blacks want to be given everything so that all they have to do is just have babies and run the streets.” You cannot find any factual data to back up such an ignorant statement as that. That statement demonstrates a racist elitist mentality.
      I could go on and on about your statements that are not based in fact, but if you are as racist as your post paints you this would be a waste of my time. In the end the author was trying to make a point that we should not vilify the majority based on the few. Just as I would not judge all Caucasians based on white teens that just recently killed a black man in Mississippi, or based on your comments; I love my fellow man no matter the color, orientation or religious affiliation. I have a problem with bigots, racists and ignorant people, no matter their race. So let us stop judging an entire group of people based ones religion or race.
      Lest we forget that no major religion has a clean past, and in many cases a clean present
      FYI please brush- up on some historical facts before you make blanket statements.

September 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • BG

@ AJamstA

" ... my Qur'an does not state to do acts of violence to a particular group without justification."

How reas suring. The reality is that the Koran is simply a justification for aggression. Or peace. Or falafel on Tuesdays.

It's the 'Swiss army knife' of religious doctrine. Oh, sorry Switzerland. The "Leatherman" of religious doctrine..

Now San Francisco is píssed. Oh well.

September 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Nadia

That is the most ridiculous argument ever. You are actually equating ancestry to religious association? There are white people in America who are actually descendants–related–to slaveowners. American Muslims are in no way necessarily related to any terrorist or extremist around the world because they claim to be Muslim as well. We don't know them, talk to them, identify with them or even call them someone in our family? It makes sense if you hold the extremist's family memmbers responsible just like some people did for the Viriginia Tech shooter or the Columbine shooter. They had a family to raise them and that family should have seen signs and done something about what their kids wanted to do.

And don't assume why people become Muslim. Africans and African-Americans don't become Muslim because they enjoy being in a victimized state of being. That's offensive to say they all like blaming other people. People become Muslim because they believe in its message, that the Quran is the word of God and it satisfies them spiritually, just like the same way people become Buddhist or Christian. All Africans don't blame all whites for slavery, that is ridiculous. Unless you supported it and still support it (as global slavery still goes on today, in case you didn't know), then why would you be held accountable?? No one is that stupid.

And you should expect or demand your Muslim community members and friends to apologize to you. That's extremely presumptuous, rude and ignorant of you. You should expect a dialogue, willingness to understand one another and answer questions and effort to bridge the gap and establish a solidarity against violence and intolerance.

Just like blacks and whites worked together to stop the hateful message of slavery, Muslims and non-Muslims should work together to stop the hateful message of terrorism which affects everyone in all religions and comes from all religions. Don't generalize and make assumptions about people's intentions and behaviors. You haven't met all Muslims in the world, so you don't know how they may have saved your life already. Be humble, be grateful and be open-minded.

The world is more than mainstream television. Things go on, people do things you will never see covered on TV or the newspapers and that's the way it is. Wake up and join reality.

September 8, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • FK

three words: go to hell. when you die that second you will realize you were wrong islam is the religion of god.you call ur bible right?? you have made changes to it right and left the quran was sent down from god and not a single change has been made to it since that day "pure and simple" b.s. i dont hate you but i pray that god could guide you and make you less conceited and arrogant

September 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • Mackenzie

Tracy, you're a bigot and an idiot. Educate yourself.

September 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • PK

FK, go google "Pascal's Wager". Come back and post when you understand it.

September 14, 2011 at 9:44 am |