home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. chad

Aman: Whether you need to (continue to) apologize or not is a question of percentage of people involved/supportive of the action.

To illustrate:
    1] I go to a soccer game with 100 white friends and 1 of my group beats up a black guy. Turns out he is the only guy amongst us that is a rascist, the rest of us are horrified by what he did.

2] I go to a soccer game with 100 white friends and 3 of my group beat up a black guy. While they are doing it, 20 of the guys stand around the scene encouraging it, 40 of us think he was justified in doing it because the guy was black, 20 of us dont really care and 17 of us are horrified at it.

The situation in the Muslim world today (see: "Why Muslims are still mad at America" in CNN belief blog) is #2 above.

So, yes, you need to keep apologizing.

September 9, 2011 at 8:40 am |
    • khan

I don't think any Muslim should apologize. Whenever someone asks me, my response yeah so 9/11 happened. Was not me. Was not my religion so I am not going to say I am sorry for that. End of story. They don't like the answer then too bad.

September 9, 2011 at 8:46 am |
    • Terje

I kind of agree with Chad. It may not be accurate, but I believe this is the perception. It is my perception that while MANY muslims were just as horrified as everyone else at the 9/11 terrorst acts, there is a still a notable part of the muslim population that don`t want to condone these acts in public, but are sympathetic to the cause and perhaps even the means. Perception may be incorrect, but I bet there`s a level of truth to this.

September 9, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • khan

Really Terje: I mean there are millions of Americans who are sympathetic to the cause of killing all Muslims in the world and to the cause of putting all Muslim Americans in concentration camps. Just look at this message board. Last I heard, the whites were responsible for slavery, for holocaust, for world wars and oh wait, the last terrorist attack was by a White Christian Fundamentalist in Norway which was blamed on Muslims right away. Are you going to apologize for that too? I am an American citizen and I know America will make across with this hate portrayed by other Americans but that does not mean we should compromise on any American principle. Freedom, Justice and Liberty for all.

September 9, 2011 at 9:05 am |
    • Shadowflash1522

So, let's take your scenario and set it during the Cold War. Instead of 1 black dude and 100 white dudes, we have a Russian (Soviet) and 100 Americans. Which scenario, #1 or #2, is more likely to have occurred, given the socio-political climate at the time? I'm not a statistician, but I would hazartd a guess that #2 would occur, along with some generous screaming of "COMMUNIST" and perhaps a trial before the House Comittee on Un-American Activities. Would you demand that Americans still be apologizing for that?

Being sympathetic to the cause is not the same as being complicit. Sympathies are born of culture and politics, especially in places where survival depends on agreeing with the men holding the guns. My muslim friend from high school didn't bring down the towers–she was in fifth grade, she couldn't have stopped them if she tried. Why should she apologize?

I like your analogy, I think it accurately describes the perception of the Muslim community. I just wonder if maybe we should attend to the proverbial beam in our own eye...

September 9, 2011 at 11:51 am |
    • chad

I dont think for an instant that millions of Americans are in favor of killing Muslims or putting them in concentration camps, a handful of hate filled people on a blog does not a wide spread movement make.

Anders Breivik,Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kaczynski are isolated crazies, no case can be made for any kind of wide spread support for their beliefs (let alone their tactics).

Regarding examples in category #2: Whites were indeed responsible for enslaving African natives, they should feel responsible for it, and take steps to eradicate the lasting impacts of it. The vast majority of Germans take responsibility for the holocaust.I dont see how WWI or WWII fall into either category. The issue isnt just that people die, it's the motivation for the killing that is the issue.

At what point do we stop apologizing for our(explicit/complicit/implicit) part in #2's? When the damage that was done has been fixed, and when the belief system in place that produced the event has been transformed to the degree that it would never happen again. Clearly, there has yet to be a transformation of the belief system among Muslims that produced 9/11 (see : "Why Muslims are still mad at America" in CNN belief blog)

September 9, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
    • Khan

Same thing here buddy. 1.5 billion Muslims and you want all to be treated by the actions of 19.

September 9, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Chad

19?
      there were at least a thousand Al Qaeda members at that time. How many in the Taliban? How many in Hezbollah, Hamas?

Do I think that Muslims in general "own" the actions of those groups? YES, there are to many Muslims belonging to them to classify them as isolated crazies.

September 9, 2011 at 7:53 pm |
    • Frank Khan

Are you sure chad that they are really apologizing OR are they simply saying "Nice Doggy" till they find a stick?

September 13, 2011 at 2:55 am |
  2. Crane

Can someone please send me links to those apologies? I must have missed them. The dancing women and the victorious behavior of immigrant Moroccans in our streets, on the other hand, is quite unforgettable.

September 9, 2011 at 8:36 am |
  3. RichardZag

Muslims should not only stop apologizing, they should never have started in the first place because they had nothing to do with 9/11. 9/11 was a classic, stand-down, false flag operation planned and run from within the USA.

September 9, 2011 at 6:17 am |
  4. Carla

Muslims should read the Bible like a good Muslim and officially change their doctrines on infidels and on converters to other religions. Otherwise, there is no solution.

September 9, 2011 at 3:22 am |
  5. Malrat

Right on man, no apology or explanation required. Hopefully record company executives will realize their folly and forestall
    the release of the new N Back tunes, inshallah. Peace.

September 9, 2011 at 3:20 am |
  6. Peikovian

America trusted German-American Dwight Eisenhower to lead US forces against the Nazis. When America trusts a Muslim-American general to lead us against Jihad, that's when Muslim-Americans have done what they can do.

September 9, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • @Peikovian

Yeah? But the white Americans have been from all over the Europe anyway. Eisenhower wasn't Ja-panese.

September 9, 2011 at 2:36 am |
    • Peikovian

Thanks for your racism paranoia and secret bitter wordplay.

September 9, 2011 at 3:11 am |
    • @Peiko

Why do the white Americans try to include every race? That's racism. Just let the able men lead the military. I'm not white in saying this. And Muslims will never seriously fight against jihadists unless the Islamic doctrines on infidels are officially changed. Get some education.

September 9, 2011 at 3:16 am |
    • Peikovian

You can't understand what I'm saying because you are insane.

September 9, 2011 at 6:27 am |
    • AD

A Muslim commander in either Iraq or Afghanistan would have saved us so much grief. We did more harm than good with our cultural ignorance.

September 9, 2011 at 8:09 am |
  7. No Dogma

The problem with people who try to defend their religion is that they have to defend their religion. You would think that an all powerful being would be able to inspire a book absent of violence and hatred, explicit and clear in every way possible with absolutely NO subjectivity. But no. Instead we are left with all manner of books full of contradictions and bronze age morality, written by people who endorsed slavery, killed and maimed to punish the most petty of crimes, and had no scientific understanding of the world around them. And the most incredible part? There is not a shred of actual evidence that any of it is actually true.

September 9, 2011 at 1:08 am |
    • JLG

That is a great post. Really, that's all that needs to be said. Just hoping one day it will be acknowledged in the international discussion on this topic.

September 9, 2011 at 9:20 am |
  8. James Marik

"Every religion has their fair share of crazies". I think Islam has more than their fair share, but I think this has to do more with demographics than the message of Islam. If all religions followed their texts to the letter, the streets would be slick with the blood of heretics. Fortunately, almost all religious people stray from their holy books just enough to coexist with other religions as their society becomes more complex and heterogeneous. Much of the Islamic world is still economically backward (for reasons unrelated to religion), so there are still a lot of highly devout Muslims who have never had to learn to tolerate another faith, a (very) few of these become radicalized, and a tiny portion of radical Muslims become terrorists (and in doing so cease to be true Muslims).

September 9, 2011 at 1:04 am |
  9. Hasan Mobeen

well written article...A terrorist is the product of so many things... which doesn't have anything to do with the true religion or faith...

September 9, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  10. ruzuzuzu

Why appologize? We won in 2001. We have still not been defeated. We will appologize when we are finally defeated, if that ever happens. (maybe to the Chinese).

September 9, 2011 at 12:57 am |
  11. Reality

To the nitty-gritty:

“John Hick, a noted British philosopher of religion, estimates that 95 percent of the people of the world owe their religious affiliation to an accident (the randomness) of birth. The faith of the vast majority of believers depends upon where they were born and when. Those born in Saudi Arabia will almost certainly be Moslems, and those born and raised in India will for the most part be Hindus. Nevertheless, the religion of millions of people can sometimes change abruptly in the face of major political and social upheavals. In the middle of the sixth century ce, virtually all the people of the Near East and Northern Africa, including Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Egypt were Christian. By the end of the following century, the people in these lands were largely Moslem, as a result of the militant spread of Islam.

The Situation Today
    Barring military conquest, conversion to a faith other than that of one’s birth is rare. Some Jews, Moslems, and Hindus do convert to Christianity, but not often. Similarly, it is not common for Christians to become Moslems or Jews. Most people are satisfied that their own faith is the true one or at least good enough to satisfy their religious and emotional needs. Had St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas been born in Mecca at the start of the present century, the chances are that they would not have been Christians but loyal followers of the prophet Mohammed. “ J. Somerville

It is very disturbing that religious narrow- mindedness, intolerance, violence and hatred continues unabated due to radomness of birth. Maybe just maybe if this fact would be published on the first page of every newspaper every day, that we would finally realize the significant stupidity of all religions.

September 9, 2011 at 12:48 am |
  12. Hannah

I was just going to say thank you to Mr. Ali for this refreshing post. I thought he made good points in a lighthearted way, while still being considerate. I am a Christian and my best friend is Muslim. More importantly we are just people. We are both tired of prejudice.

September 9, 2011 at 12:43 am |
    • eli

oops–i guess your muslim friend is actually a christian (or a jew, if he/she prefers). according to the holy quran, anyway!

5:51 O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you – then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.

5:80 You see many of them becoming allies of those who disbelieved. How wretched is that which they have put forth for themselves in that Allah has become angry with them, and in the punishment they will abide eternally.

9:23 O you who have believed, do not take your fathers or your brothers as allies if they have preferred disbelief over belief. And whoever does so among you – then it is those who are the wrongdoers.

3:10 Indeed, those who disbelieve – never will their wealth or their children avail them against Allah at all. And it is they who are fuel for the Fire.

5:72 They have certainly disbelieved who say, " Allah is the Messiah, the son of Mary" while the Messiah has said, "O Children of Israel, worship Allah , my Lord and your Lord." Indeed, he who associates others with Allah – Allah has forbidden him Paradise, and his refuge is the Fire. And there are not for the wrongdoers any helpers.

(in other words, you're going to hell, LOL)

September 9, 2011 at 12:47 am |
  13. eli

also

"Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?"

sorry, what? when was this again? if memory serves, both of these organizations eventually (not immediately) put out statements saying "blah blah blah 9/11 was wrong, BUT zionists/israel/american imperialism!!!!" and have spent the past ten years whining about the reactions to that event–not the event itself. nor do they bother to condemn the >10,000 islamic terror attacks that have happened worldwide since that day (probably because there are no jews to blame, i suspect). i don't know what universe you are inhabiting, sir, but i would like whatever illicit substance you are using to get there.

September 9, 2011 at 12:40 am |
    • Greg Abdul

Eli,

you are making a false statement. CAIR and ISNA have categorically (clear and without ambiguity) said that terrorist violate basic rules of Islam. ISNA congratulated President Obama for killing Bin Laden....please don't lie on us just because we don't pray the same way you do

September 9, 2011 at 3:15 am |
  14. No Dogma

how much longer before religion goes away forever?

September 9, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • eli

soon, hopefully, but can we keep the mormons? they make me laugh...

September 9, 2011 at 12:49 am |
  15. eli

"Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself."

well, if the man insists...
    from the noted islamophobic website, quran.com:

8:12 [Remember] when your Lord inspired to the angels, "I am with you, so strengthen those who have believed. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieved, so strike [them] upon the necks and strike from them every fingertip."

3:56 And as for those who disbelieved, I will punish them with a severe punishment in this world and the Hereafter, and they will have no helpers.

3:151 We will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve for what they have associated with Allah of which He had not sent down [any] authority. And their refuge will be the Fire, and wretched is the residence of the wrongdoers.

4:89 [The disbelievers] wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.

8:59-60 And let not those who disbelieve think they will escape. Indeed, they will not cause failure [to Allah ]. And prepare against them whatever you are able of power and of steeds of war by which you may terrify the enemy of Allah and your enemy and others besides them whom you do not know [but] whom Allah knows. And whatever you spend in the cause of Allah will be fully repaid to you, and you will not be wronged.

9:5 And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and [pay taxes to you], let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

remember, kids, islam is a religion of peace! all of the problems in the muslim world have nothing to do with islam! the hijackers were not following the qu'ran! up is down, left is right, the clocks struck thirteen...

September 9, 2011 at 12:34 am |
    • LouieD

Oh, but Eli! You're taking those explicit calls for death and terror out of context! (A Muslim told me so!) What it really means is you should tickle your enemies and give them candy!

September 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
  16. MJW

I think Muslims should continue and apologize but not for 911. I want all religious people everywhere to apologize for what religion has done to mankind. The belief in the supernatural has run its course. Mankind has grown up, time to unplug the nightlight.

September 9, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • No Dogma

Religion should die, but I kinda like the Quakers and the Jains.

September 9, 2011 at 12:41 am |
  17. peace upon be with you

Mat 24:6 ... for these things must needs come to pass; but the end is not yet.

September 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • chuckmartel

go to hell

September 8, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
    • MJW

I think Muslims should continue and apologize but not for 911. I want all religious people everywhere to apologize for what religion has done to mankind. The belief in the supernatural has run its course. Mankind has grown up, time to turn unplug the nightlight.

September 9, 2011 at 12:19 am |
  18. peace upon be with you

Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out from the temple, and was going on his way; and his disciples came to him to show him the buildings of the temple.
    Mat 24:2 But he answered and said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
    Mat 24:3 And as he sat on the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
    Mat 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man lead you astray.
    Mat 24:5 For many shall come in my name, saying, I am the Christ; and shall lead many astray.
    Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that ye be not troubled: for these things must needs come to pass; but the end is not yet.
    Mat 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; and there shall be famines and earthquakes in divers places.
    Mat 24:8 But all these things are the beginning of travail.
    Mat 24:9 Then shall they deliver you up unto tribulation, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all the nations for my name's sake.
    Mat 24:10 And then shall many stumble, and shall deliver up one another, and shall hate one another.
    Mat 24:11 And many false prophets shall arise, and shall lead many astray.
    Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall be multiplied, the love of the many shall wax cold.
    Mat 24:13 But he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved.
    Mat 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come.
    Mat 24:15 When therefore ye see the abomination of desolation, which was spoken of through Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place (let him that readeth understand),
    Mat 24:16 then let them that are in Judaea flee unto the mountains:
    Mat 24:17 let him that is on the housetop not go down to take out things that are in his house:
    Mat 24:18 and let him that is in the field not return back to take his cloak.
    Mat 24:19 But woe unto them that are with child and to them that give suck in those days!
    Mat 24:20 And pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on a sabbath:
    Mat 24:21 for then shall be great tribulation, such as hath not been from the beginning of the world until now, no, nor ever shall be.
    Mat 24:22 And except those days had been shortened, no flesh would have been saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
    Mat 24:23 Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is the Christ, or, Here; believe it not.
    Mat 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; so as to lead astray, if possible, even the elect.
    Mat 24:25 Behold, I have told you beforehand.
    Mat 24:26 If therefore they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the wilderness; go not forth: Behold, he is in the inner chambers; believe it not.
    Mat 24:27 For as the lightning cometh forth from the east, and is seen even unto the west; so shall be the coming of the Son of man.
    Mat 24:28 Wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.
    Mat 24:29 But immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
    Mat 24:30 and then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
    Mat 24:31 And he shall send forth his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
    Mat 24:32 Now from the fig tree learn her parable: when her branch is now become tender, and putteth forth its leaves, ye know that the summer is nigh;
    Mat 24:33 even so ye also, when ye see all these things, know ye that he is nigh, even at the doors.
    Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all these things be accomplished.
    Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
    Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no one, not even the angels of heaven, neither the Son, but the Father only.
    Mat 24:37 And as were the days of Noah, so shall be the coming of the Son of man.
    Mat 24:38 For as in those days which were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark,
    Mat 24:39 and they knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall be the coming of the Son of man.
    Mat 24:40 Then shall two men be in the field; one is taken, and one is left:
    Mat 24:41 two women shall be grinding at the mill; one is taken, and one is left.
    Mat 24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not on what day your Lord cometh.
    Mat 24:43 But know this, that if the master of the house had known in what watch the thief was coming, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken through.
    Mat 24:44 Therefore be ye also ready; for in an hour that ye think not the Son of man cometh.
    Mat 24:45 Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath set over his household, to give them their food in due season?
    Mat 24:46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.
    Mat 24:47 Verily I say unto you, that he will set him over all that he hath.
    Mat 24:48 But if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord tarrieth;
    Mat 24:49 and shall begin to beat his fellow-servants, and shall eat and drink with the drunken;
    Mat 24:50 the lord of that servant shall come in a day when he expecteth not, and in an hour when he knoweth not,
    Mat 24:51 and shall cut him asunder, and appoint his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be the weeping and the gnashing of teeth.

September 8, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • *frank*

Die in pain.

September 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
    • Marbles keep rolling away, hm?

Wow it's almost like somebody fell asleep on their keyboard and then pressed the post button in their sleep. What a mess.
      Is this some weird form of religious spam?

September 8, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • Troll

TLDR

September 9, 2011 at 12:16 am |
    • Reality

Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospels being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European, white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, long-dead, preacher/magic man would do or say?

September 9, 2011 at 12:43 am |
    • James Marik

TLDR

September 9, 2011 at 12:49 am |
    • Greg Abdul

Peace,]

please don't clutter the message area with text we can get from a whole lot of other places. If we wanted to read the Bible, we wouldn't be here

September 9, 2011 at 3:17 am |
  19. chuckmartel

A muslim comedian. Now that is a joke. Some funny muslim comedy routines include shutting down the South Park show under threat of death, repeated attempts trying to kill cartoonists they don't like, threatening to kill David Letterman and driving an American female cartoonist underground. Take your comedy to one of your stinking islami cesspools.

September 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Me

^^^ Islamaphobe!!!

September 8, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  20. Brian

Of course no person should apologize, for the action of another, unless they are complicit in their actions or concealment of those actions. I'm christian and I am in no way responsible for the actions of the catholic church.
    Why are we so caught up in vengeance? Maybe it would be better to morn all the dead 911+, and the loss of civil liberties.
    Governments should enact laws that enable foreign governments and NGOs to sue governments, businesses, and individuals, for crimes committed in foreign jurisdictions. But then ,,, nobody wants an intelligent conversation,

September 8, 2011 at 9:26 pm |