home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Maha

I personally think Muslims have suffered from these events more than anyone. They have suddenly been thrown into a society where everyone hates them, doubts them and they are being discriminated against, because of a couple of nut jobs. Nice

September 10, 2011 at 10:08 am |
    • kimsland

A couple?

Seriously have you seen any of news articles on the wives being burnt to death, and children being abused?
      I mean this happened well possibly a million times and is STILL happening today!
      Islam is bad news, if you like it or not.

September 10, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • @ Kimsland

Seriously, have you seen the amount of child abuse scandals in the catholic church? Have you read the amount wife beatings done by Christian men in America? Have seen trials or read about the christian mothers who have killed their children or parent who abuse their children? How about the rapists?
      It is not about any religion or belief system, it is about your upbringing. Their are good people everywhere in the world. My Muslim parents taught this Muslims son to respect the country, people, neighbors and community I live in, be a positive force and above all have a open mind. I am sorry that you were not taught the same way.
      You are absolutely correct many bad things are STILL happening in the world today, in the middle east, in North Korea, in India and in our back yard. Instead of complaining about it, tell me what is your solution? What steps have you taken to teach your family about how to treat people of races, creed, orientation and religions? I refuse your point that Islam is bad news, what kind of research have you done to make the judgement? I am putting a link of an Muslim Charitable Organization in Pakistan; it has existed for 60 years, does not take donations from Governments OR businesses solely runs on volunteers, some paid and contributions from individuals like you and I. Check it out and hopefully you will that there is good out there just believe in it and fight for it. Thanks http://www.edhifoundation.com/

September 10, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Kimsland, so now it is Muslims. In another thread it was all relgions and Faiths..... why on this thread do you just attack Muslims?

Are you that much of an incindeary Troll that you just go from thread to thread poking folks with your stick?

@Kimsland.... please do not waste your time on Kimsland.... she is a rabid Atheist.... no matter what Faith you are her hate is directed towards you.

l'Chaim.

September 10, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • Maha

@ kimsland
      Wow, its surprising how little you know actually. its like you ignore everything in front of you and continue saying pointless things over and over!!

You can't blame the religion for the bad that happens, as ISLAM DOESN'T PROMOTE IT!! where in the QUran does it say that wives should be beaten or children abused??

and why is it highlighted when Muslims do it, but brushed away when others do?

you tell me how thats fair. thats another reason you hear Muslims in the news, but no one cares when its atheists?? does that suggest people have no expectations from atheists in the first place?

September 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
    • Maha

and also kimsland is on here spreading hate. nice to know she does that for a living... she must be a reallyyy nice person!

September 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Chad

"You can't blame the religion for the bad that happens, as ISLAM DOESN'T PROMOTE IT"

I hear that a lot, the problem is millions of "believers" in Islam have interpreted it to support terrorism against the west and Israel, as well as sharia law and all that entails.

If Islam doesnt support terrorism and sharia law, Muslims need to figure out why millions have misinterpreted the qur'an and feel it does.

September 10, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • Maha

@ chad

that is the fault of the people who misinterpret it. it is their job to understand their religion and if they can't, to ask knowledgeable scholars, but you cannot blame the religion. and it defiinitely isnt millions of people.

thats my point, blame the individuals that do it, not the faith. those extremists are hardly muslims.

September 10, 2011 at 5:33 pm |
  2. Carl Sandburg

Muslims need not apologize nor condemn. Terrorists are the problem. The professed terrorists have acted in the name of Islam, the same way that history has seen Christian, Jewish, and Buddhist terrrorists. Simply put, Muslims are suspect because at present a faction of their sect condones and foments terroristic violence. We shouldn't blame all Muslims, but unfortunately, we can't trust any Muslim unless we know for sure their position. People lie, delude, and divert attention from their real aims. At this point in time, Muslims are in a crappy posiition. They need to continue to try to convince their neighbors of their stance, because one can't tell by sight the politics of the subject.
    Fact is that a large number, if not a large percentage, of Muslims condone terrorism. I sympathize with those who choose to practice their faith without hate, but I can't tell if you're with me or against me, and those against me want to see me dead. Sorry.

September 10, 2011 at 9:07 am |
    • Maha

I agree with you, but um i would like to say that its not exactly 50/50 ya know. there is a very very small percentage of Muslims that would like to see you dead, me personally being one that wouldn't. Whether you accept it or not, that's the case. Most of us would love normal lives without being placed under speculation and doubt.

We also shouldn't have to prove ourselves to you all, because a couple of crazy people have decided that they're gonna take Islam in their own hands. It's not fair that you doubt every Muslim because of a minute percentage. Shouldn't you give those the benefit of the doubt seeing as the majority of Muslims are good? Why do it the other way around?

September 10, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  3. sami

and guess what! we will never say sorry! what about the the native people of america " american indians" where are they!!!
    just 1 or 2 % left of them!!! why!!!!! thats much worst than 911!!!!

September 10, 2011 at 8:55 am |
  4. sami

as a muslim do u expict me to say sorry for somthing that my real people didnt do!! its a joke!

September 10, 2011 at 8:52 am |
  5. Worldwideimp

I actually kinda do want to see him say it was a masterful plan and fly off on a carpet. How unexpected!

September 10, 2011 at 8:48 am |
  6. Maha

I just love how hating non-Muslims only have the courage to write racist comments online, where they cannot be confronted face-to-face.. its kinda pathetic.

September 10, 2011 at 7:30 am |
    • kimsland

Because the muslin might bomb us face to face!
      Be very clear, these Muslim extremists are weird, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near them, not even in the same country they occupy !
      I'd especially say keep children away from them.
      Basically they are bad people.
      You need to learn this.

September 10, 2011 at 7:41 am |
    • Maha

@ kimsland

you're not really being clear. on one hand, you say that muslim extremists are weird. I completely agree, they're more than weird, they're sick and have taken the teachings of the Quran out of context, kind of like how the critics of Islam do might i add.

But then u also say that muslims might bomb you. Really? All of them? Do you think we are brought up by our parents who teach us who to make bombs daily? It is wrong for you to say you would keep your kids away from us, because of the 1% (if even that) who do stupid things. Why would i bomb u if i am the one suggesting you come face-to-face and talk to me in the first place? but you guys won't, because of your pathetic phobia.

And the rest of the world isn't perfect. Far from it actually, but you ignore them.

September 10, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • kimsland

Its generally to do with your barbaric religion.
      Seriously there are way too many passages to precisely quote, that you MUST agree are pathetic?
      Since the Qur'an was actually an ongoing stream of events that lead to the next one, don't you feel that most of the first part should be ripped out of it?
      The Qur'an is far worse than the bible, and the bible although very funny, is basically pathetic.

September 10, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • Maha

First of all, i would appreciate it if you were a bit more respectful when it comes to talking about both the Bible and the Quran, as they are holy books, even if they mean nothing to you.

If our religion really is that barbaric, then surely all Muslims must be terrorists, which, I hope you are aware, is not the case. Plenty can be said about non-Muslim people and their lifestyle, but we don't make the same accusations towards you. Why is that? And if we look solely at the concepts of Islamic lifestyle, where we treat others with respect, that hardly sounds barbaric to me. Also, why is it that the good deeds of a non-muslim are compared to the horrific deeds of one extremist, whereas no one bothers to mention ALL those muslims out there, who are possibly better than most in the way they live and behave towards others. I do not claim to be a saint, but I do know that my personality and the way I deal with people and situations is much better than that I have seen of some non-Muslims my own age. Now, unlike you, I am not going to ignore those Christians, athetists, etc, that are also of immaculate behaviour, but you simply can't judge people because of the act of a few individuals. How is that fair?

September 10, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
  7. tony

"Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself."

if we agree that persecuting and hurting someone else because of its religious belief is "terrorism" then this is a very misleading claim if not a shameless lie! how can cnn post such rubbish?

In the quran it is specifically written hundreds of times that it is a must for every Muslim to kill all the "kuffirs" (infidels in english) – meaning that all muslims must kill any person that doesnt accpet and believe in mohhamed as the one and only profit and allah (the muslim version of god) as the one and only God.

In one particular translation to English of the Quran which was produced and distributed by not less than the Saudi Arabia government (yeah I know it's impossible to believe that are talking about the government of a country in the 21st century!) they even go farther and explain how to kill us infidels... with rockets and bombs!

The son of Gadahfi the Libyan ruller was named "Sif al Islam". Sif al Islam translates literally to "the sword of Islam" however it's deeper meaning to those who study the Quran is exactly that: denounce your other gods and accept Allah and Mohammed or die by the sword of Islam! what sort of the culture is this where it is accepted to name someone "genocide"?

In fact every religious Muslim that prays six times a day chants hundred of time each year how allah is big and mighty and how all those who don't accept him should be punished by death. Not to mention all the degrading names used to describe the Christians, Jews and other people which are not muslims in Quran

So yes please do as Aman Ali ask you, it is very important to that people in the Western civilization really understand what their neighbor Muslims really think about them and how they are commanded to act by their holy book. I am sure you would be shocked and surprised what you find out if you bother to read and learn a little bit.

September 10, 2011 at 4:34 am |
    • 911truth

Islam is a religion of devil. Responsible for 90% of all terrorism. Responsisble for overpopulation. World would be better place without it.

September 10, 2011 at 6:13 am |
    • Maha

um, hate to burst your bubble seeing as you think you know soo much about Islam, but you can't really have done that much research on Islam if you think there's six prayers a day.... :/

September 10, 2011 at 7:17 am |
    • CHSAM

Tony has picked up info from Pamela Gallagher's or some other hate mongers site. Please do read the book yourself. There is no name calling in Quran towards any one! Infact, there is whole chapter names "Mary" in respect of mother of Jesus. Care to read!

September 10, 2011 at 8:43 am |
  8. Ihsan Khan

Time to move on from hate and wars to building peace – Muslims the world over have nothing to do with such an act of hate and destruction that drove the 9/11 bombers.This attack has been used to falsely accuse our cherished religion of Islam – a religion of humanity. Terrorism is a crime and the perpetrators are not representatives of any faith, colour or race.

September 10, 2011 at 4:26 am |
  9. kimsland

Shut Up Religion

September 10, 2011 at 3:08 am |
  10. Reed Solomon

As a Canadian, I seriously am sorry about Nickelback, and personally apologize profusely. But please STOP BUYING THEIR MUSIC!!! You're not helping!

September 10, 2011 at 1:57 am |
  11. kimsland

Muslims just don't get it.

They are NOT welcome in our modern world.

September 10, 2011 at 1:32 am |
    • Susan

How would you like it if I said people of your ethnicity and/or religion wasn't welcomed in this world? Bet you would love that.

September 10, 2011 at 3:22 am |
    • kimsland

Susan

I think ALL RELIGION IS STUPID.

Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

September 10, 2011 at 3:41 am |
    • Muneef

And who could be you to judge that? Do you know what services those cover for you in the country? Hope one day you will not wake up not finding some one to wipe your "..." because all might have left away due ill treatment or economical reasons....!! This once happened in Saudi and the Gulf when they returned all Yemeni immigrant labours working all types of jobs after the Iraqi invasion to Q8, their countries stood still empty with out any services what's so ever...until they brought labours from different countries Arabic and Asian nationals...

September 10, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  12. Nick

"Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash."

You are awesome and this article is awesome. I see you've been to the 1997-era Atlas Shrugs as well as noted Courier New tribute site DrudgeReport. Though I think currently Matt Drudge wants white people to be afraid of black people. But they're synonymous with Islam anyway with his target audience, so I guess I'm fearing apples to apples here.

Anyway, awesome article, and while I don't really suffer from "white guilt" in any way, shape, or form, I will still apologize for all of the dumb white people who are going to derp thousands of hateful and retarded comments on your article.

September 10, 2011 at 1:13 am |
  13. peace and forgiveness

Dear my beloved Christians,

we know that this horrible act of 9/11 was driven by group of ambitious hatred peoples. They, the terrorist, had hijack the Islam name, and hijack the freedom of the world, the the icon if modern freedom – USA.

Muslim, are not encourage to ask for forgiveness because they in others hand are the victim too.

Therefore, we must united with Muslim to fight those hatred illusionist evil by peace way, the words.

Thank you and peace be upon us...

September 10, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • arthurrrr

i read the Koran and it clearly calls for the MURDER of anyone and everyone who does not bow down to your demon god. Any muslim who claims otherwise either never read it or is a LIAR!!!!

September 10, 2011 at 12:56 am |
    • Muneef

Strange you make it sound as if the Holy Quran only speaks of Murders and nothing else ? You have thrown all other lessons, wisdom and way of life, just to hold to that is calls for murders...!? We would like you to leave the murder thing behind and nothing would happen to you...it is your ignorance and arrogance that stands as a wall of ice between you and other multinational races and cultures in the West or overseas on their main lands..! GOD "Allah" has told in the Holy Quran that he has created us as Nations and Tribes to meet each other and befriend with...and that best at GOD "Allah" is the one who is more considerate & fearful towards each other and GOD "Allah"..... Holy Quran as well said that some times we will find that a non Muslim could be more trust worthy than Muslim in money terms returning a loan or in trade...!
      So if all those say like that then how you say that the Quran said kill all non Muslims? But I can confirm that it says who ever attacks you as an enemy then we ought to stand up and fight killing those being in war with us...!! Guess that is a right granted to all to defend and protect them selves and if to die then to die hard and courageous with the intention of fair fight and win targeting enemy but not with the intention of going just to let self die committing soucide taking few innocent lives that happened to be there...!?! The Companians and Warriors who fought wars with the Prophet Muhammed s.a.w. used to go to wars in face to face battles with swords,spears and arrows...they would be coming out of the war victories wishing that GOD would have taken their lives in a Holy War but would not throw self to be killed deliberately, wanting to gain all been promised of with out efforts of fighting or intention of winning the war... "No Bounty for the Cowrds in Heavens"....

September 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  14. Mr. B

To all of you white people decrying the "lack" of apology from every single Muslim you meet... have you apologized to a black person for slavery? Have you apologized for the KKK?

Because I personally have not seen any such apology.

September 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  15. peace and forgiveness

Jer 18:2 Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause thee to hear my words.
    Jer 18:6 O house of Israel, cannot I do with you as this potter? saith Jehovah. Behold, as the clay in the potter's hand, so are ye in my hand, O house of Israel.
    Jer 18:7 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to pluck up and to break down and to destroy it;
    Jer 18:8 if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turn from their evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do unto them.
    Jer 18:9 And at what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a kingdom, to build and to plant it;
    Jer 18:10 if they do that which is evil in my sight, that they obey not my voice, then I will repent of the good, wherewith I said I would benefit them.

Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why didst thou make me thus?

Isa 45:9 Woe unto him that striveth with his Maker! a potsherd among the potsherds of the earth! Shall the clay say to him that fashioneth it, What makest thou? or thy work, He hath no hands?
    Isa Isa 30:14 And he shall break it as a potter's vessel is broken, breaking it in pieces without sparing; so that there shall not be found among the pieces thereof a sherd wherewith to take fire from the hearth, or to dip up water out of the cistern.
    Isa 30:15 For thus said the Lord Jehovah, the Holy One of Israel, In returning and rest shall ye be saved; in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength. And ye would not:
    Isa 64:8 But now, O Jehovah, thou art our Father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

Rom 9:21 Or hath not the potter a right over the clay, from the same lump to make one part a vessel unto honor, and another unto dishonor?
    Rev 2:27 and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as the vessels of the potter are broken to shivers; as I also have received of my Father:

September 9, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  16. Sarah

I just LOVE how ignorant and dumb some Christians can be. So I have an interesting story to share...

I was waiting outside my house for someone and this old lady walked by me... I smiled graciously and all-heartedly said 'hello!' and she legit took one look at me, made the most RUDEST and DIRTIEST face at me.... It was after she saw my headscarf that caused such a disgusting and unattractive look. Even in my city where there are so many Muslims and it's so diverse people hate... I hate bigots.

September 9, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • John

So, you hate bigots, eh? How very tolerant and loving of you... You also assumed the lady is a Christian–not a very un-prejudiced and non-judgemental assumption... And maybe it had nothing to do with your headscarf–maybe that's just what you want to believe it is, rather than accept the fact that there are some mean and nasty people out there, period, Christian, Muslim, atheist, Democrat, Republican, British, Russian, ad infinitum.

September 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Sam I Am

Standing outside your house eh? Were you walking up and down yelling for guys in cars to stop and "date" you? Sure does sound like it!

September 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • levend

And maybe the old lady is going off what she hears and sees on media. Media has become more opinion than fact and when you give redneck journalists that power you get hate groups popping up everywhere encouraged by what they believe as popular support. Take the Norway Terrorist as an example.

September 9, 2011 at 9:17 pm |
    • chuckmartel

Sarah, you are a brainless form of life that does not belong here. Just because soemone doesn't like the sight of you things means they are a brainless Christain? You things have no command of logic. If you things are so advanced, why are you pouring into the west from your islamic cesspols? Please leave.

September 9, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • KJ

I'm really sorry for all the horrible responses you got to this story you shared (and for what it's worth, I'm sorry you were treated that way by that woman!). Those responses really demonstrate not only an intolerance, but also an outright refusal to acknowledge the significance of anti-Muslim actions systematically perpetuated by non-Muslims.

September 9, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • peace and forgiveness

Dear beloved Sarah,

I am really sorry for what had they did. Sarah, we humanity learn to improve every day each day and we trying to be better person for Allah God, for country for humanity.

I believe you are smart enough to understand that one person act is not representative of all peoples. Like we Christians believe that terrorist on 9/11 act is a hijack of Islam name and hijack of freedom in USA. And we believe no Muslim are agree with that horrible act.

So please Sarah, let we spread the words of PEACE that God Allah had and have done now. forgive others and pray for them. Let Cast out demon of – hatred curiosity fear domination – 7 legion out of ourself then out of our community and our country.

Thank you Sarah for shared it with us. Thanks for community improvements suggestion that you did.

September 9, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  17. David in Detroit

🙂 Should we whip ourselves on the back like the muslums?

September 9, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
    • Mr. B

No, you should wear hair shirts instead.

September 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Muneef

Dave.
      Those who whip them selves are the Shiaa Muslims of Iran,Iraq and South of Lebanon...not all Muslims do that for your kind information...

September 9, 2011 at 11:13 pm |
  18. David in Detroit

I keep seeing the name Rami. I do not understand. That is the same name as our Rabbi. If that is a Jewish name, did you convert to the religion of terror?

September 9, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • KJ

You're kidding, right? Rami is as much an Arabic name as it is Hebrew, though they were differently derived within the languages.

September 9, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Muneef

I have an Arabic Muslim relative named and written as Rami or Ramy.. It is a male name.

September 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
    • Muneef

Rami is Arabic name named by Muslims and non Muslims Arabs...

September 10, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  19. Nacy Drew

Rami

Muslums do. They should go to their "great empire" and live their life in their dirt caves.

@Nancy Drew:

My 8 year old cousin was shot by a Christian in the back and is now forever paralyzed from the waste down and will never have a normal childhood. By your logic, are you saying that I should hate every Christian woman, man, and child?

September 9, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  20. f

Problem with this article is NO MUSLIMS have EVER stepped up to publicly say "Sorry for what my brethren did in the name of Islam." Stop apologizing? For what? They have never apologized. Their collective silence is deafening. This is the basis for the questions from people. How DO you feel about 9/11? If you can answer that sincerely in my face I would be happy to treat you like a friend. Otherwise, I don't want to see you getting on my plane or subway. You should have formed loud vocal anti-terrorism groups and charities and gotten on TV and stayed in America's face proclaiming your love of America since 9/11 to counter the effects of the acts of the 19. But you did not and never have and I believe you never will. Sorry Muslims, you lose.

September 9, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
    • Nacy Drew

Excellent! Thank you.

September 9, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • T

you completely misunderstood the whole article read it again it helps.

September 9, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • David

The problem is that that's absolutely not true. Immediately after 9/11 Muslim groups held mass prayers for the victims and families of 9/11. High-profile Muslims condemned the actions of the Taliban and supported the efforts to capture bin Laden. But our mainstream media gave it precious little coverage because it was too exciting to show video of terrorists handing out candy...even though that footage was about 5 years old and over another conflict that had nothing to do with the US.

The idea that Muslims never apologized for 9/11 is simply not so. And if that's not good enough, then remember that there are many Muslims who are members of the US military who work tirelessly for this country that they love.

September 9, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • M

David is right, I agree with him 100%.

TERRORISM HAS NO RELIGION.

Calling all Muslims a terrorist is like calling all white people members of the Ku Klux Klan. Which I do believe was one of the earliest forms of terrorism?

Also, what the U.S. Army is doing in Iraq, Afghanistan etc. is terrorism to those people too. Does that mean I should hate my country?

September 9, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • TGIF

@T I think if f read it 10 times he still wouldn't understand.

September 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Tanishh

And why should they need to? If I get mugged by a black guy outside my apartment (I live in west Philly) should I demand an apology from the black community? Why should anyone ever apologize for the actions of people who are not them and were not influenced by them or their responsibility? Grow up.

September 9, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • JA

I agree with the points stated here. I have never seen a sincere appology from any muslim group.
      I also say that more than 90% of the terrorists act are executed by muslim. Thererfore it is perceived that muslims are rsponsible for terrorism.

September 9, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • KJ

1) As people have already suggested, you should try reading again, as the article mentions specific examples of Muslims apologizing.

2) Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you are also willing to make a call for all Christians to step forward and collectively apologize for the bombing of abortion clinics, or for the murder of abortion doctors, such as Dr. George Tiller. And if the Norway shooter personally called himself a Christian in his own writings, Christians need to apologize for that as well. According to your demands.

September 9, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Muneef

Why Muslims should apologize when it is them America has made and trained the virus and then planted it as a belt against communism and when it finished it turned against capitalism... When they they noticed that they inspired the virus of moves to make and allowed it to happen under their full knowledge for latter to take the advantage of the situation towards breaking all the laws and protocols signed for invading and interfering with the politics of all in the name of protecting US and Allies National Security.
      So it is us the Muslims should demand for an apology from America for bringing us this virus and blame us for it..!!?

September 9, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Jeanie

Odd, but I've never seen a Christian appologize for the Oklahoma City bombing. The silence for that has been deafening.

September 9, 2011 at 11:21 pm |