home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Andi Davis

I am white and from the south. Some Muslims may look at me like I'm a swamp water alligator wrestling bigot. That particular card has two sides.

September 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Laughing

True

Not all southerners wrestle alligators

September 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Many southerners are not white, but most black southerners are partially white.

Christian White slave masters dug dark meat

September 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
  2. thertruth

Yes Mike exactly.

September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  3. Tim Bopp

I think they need to apologize for their entire religion. Islam, like Judaism, is a religion based on fear, war, and self-righteousness. The only intelligent position today is agnosticism. Or atheism.

September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • MaybeAgnosticMaybeNot

I looked through the entire kama sutra. I couldn't find either of those positions.

September 7, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Tim Bopp

Well maybe that's your problem. Instead of reading dogmatic religious tracts, why don't you take your lame brain and focus on some science for a change, fool?

September 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  4. nick

Secondly, when are Christian churches going to be built in Muslim land to show us the Tolerance they claim to have? I am seeing many Qaran studies in churches for a better understanding of the religion, but have not once seen any bible readings in Mosques? This is truly an utter farce once again, Islam cannot be trusted as they have a clear cut goal and co existence is not one of them.

September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • MaybeAgnosticMaybeNot

1st, by definition, muslim land indicates a country with state run religion and complete control over peoples religious choices. 2nd, this is America were we have the freedom to worship as we choose. If you actually favor a state run religion, you need to get back on the mayflower and go back to the Anglican Church.

September 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • BG

@ MaybeAgnosticMaybeNot

"1st, by definition, muslim land indicates a country with state run religion and complete control over peoples religious choices.."

Whose "definition?" Who told you that? Or did your little possibly-agnostic confused mind just come up with it all on your own? Oh, I see... you're an aspiring islamic history book author. Now it makes sense.

Obviously @ nick meant 'predominantly' muslim land.

September 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • seriously?no...seriously?

have you even even been in a masjid? sitting here talking about what you've never seen in a masjid, when you and i know you've never set foot in one to see or know what they are doing in one. idiot.

September 7, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • MaybeAgnosticMaybeNot

Muslim – of or pertaining to the religion, law, or civilization of Islam.

land – any part of the earth's surface that can be owned as property, and everything annexed to it, whether by nature or by the human hand.

muslim + land = part of the earth's surface of or pertaining to the religion, law, or civilization of Islam.

September 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • FK

cause we believe only islam is right we have no interest in studying the christian or jewish religions im not trying to sound arrogant but its the truth and we didnt threaten to cut your head off if you didnt put studies of islam in your church

September 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  5. java

What a racist P.O.S. this author is

September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
    • heynow

He's a comedian, dumba$$.

September 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  6. Stop

Please STOP the discrimination against Infidels.

September 7, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  7. Mike

This article did not improve my view of Muslims in the slightest. It seems a disgrace to me that CNN would publish an article that makes light of 9/11.

Can anyone point out a well-known Muslim (individual or group) that has spoken out on terrorism in hopes of improving our views of them? If all I can get is an obnoxious comedian's ramblings, I'll keep waiting for the Muslim community to earn back my trust.

September 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • What

You keep waiting you Infidel.

September 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • jaleel101

I'm a Muslim, but what possibly make you think anyone give a flying you know what about your opinion of Muslims?

September 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • jaleel101

Who cares about earning your trust?

September 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Mike

@jaleel101

I think you said everything I need to hear. Thanks for more insightful, peaceful thoughts on behalf of you and your Muslim brothers.

September 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • chelle

This article completely marginalizes the tragedy which took place on 9/11. I'm disgusted that ppl like this say – "hey – it was 10 years ago... get over it." Trying to make the 9/11 attack "funny" or "ironic" by bringing up the band Nickleback – just emphasizes how little regard they have for the event itself and the thousands of American that suffered and continue to, to this day.

September 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • Open Mind

There are individuals that speak about that all the time!! Are you kinding me. Look it up before you blurt out incorrect information. Its called google and you can type it in the search bar... might be hard for you but im sure you'll figure it out!

September 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Mike

@ Openmind

I said, can you name a WELL KNOWN Muslim. You didn't name one–you just directed me to google it. All I hear of is groups saying "It wasn't us that did it". I understand that, but I have yet to see anyone (like a Jesse Jackson or Martin Luther King Jr. character) working to bring peace between the two groups. And of course, Muslims on chat boards telling me they don't care what I think. If that's true, you should be prepared for a few more decades of prejudice.

September 7, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • jaleel101

There's plenty more from where that's from, just let me know.

September 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • KindHeartedIntelligentMuslim

PanARMENIAN.Net – 12 thousand Muslims gathered in London to participate in Peace for Mankind conference.

We do protest. We just get no media attention. See, if I didn't tell you, you'd have never known about it, guaranteed.

If you are really interested to find out about us really, the only way will be through sources other than mainstrem media. Best thing – befriend some Muslims and speak with their families, get to know them. There is a 95% chance you will find a peace loving family to get along with. Just like any group of people, there are a few bad apples in the group.

If you are really interested in talking about it, or anyone else, real intellectual conversation with no hate, full compassion for your point of view, and hard facts with proof, let me know. Believe it or not, there are plenty of Muslims that are not hateful, rude, or one-sided who will listen to your concerns and truly make an effort to give you an understanding of what TRUE Islam is, not the bad example that sinning Muslims give.

September 27, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • KindHeartedIntelligentMuslim

@Mike – Jaleel is an example of sinning Muslims who forgot the Surahs:

Therefore, Allah does not forbid you from being kind to the disbelievers who do not fight you because of the religion, such as women and weak disbelievers,

(to deal kindly) to be gentle with them, (and justly with those) to be fair with them, Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity.)

You are not fighting us Mike, you are looking for a discussion. You fall in this category. This Surah only refers to people who are immediately throwing us out of our homes physically... because we have the right to live peacefully. That does NOT include fighting for a territory like Palestine or Kashmir or Afghanistan. As long as Muslims are allowed to live peacefully in a conquered territory, we have no right in Islam to fight for ANY territory just for land alone.

Again... there are many Muslims who will sin against Islam, thoguh, and proclaim their doings in the name of Islam >.< such a terrible thing.

September 27, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • KindHeartedIntelligentMuslim

@Mike.. a well known Muslim Cleric issuing fatwas AGAINST terrorism... as you requested.

Muhammad Tahir ul-Qadri, a prominent Sufi Muslim cleric based in Pakistan, today issued a 600-page fatwa against terrorism and suicide bombing during an appearance in London.

You should be able to Google it for more information.

September 27, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • KindHeartedIntelligentMuslim

Sorry for posting so much Mike, one more thing to say. I know how you feel with regard to trying to get information from Muslims... there are so many that have so much pride and ego that they will just tell you, "I don't care about your views.." "we dont care what you think" I have no idea how they have become so socially incapable. We are mostly not that way, it is just that like any other group of people, there are a few eggs who just are too lazy to hold an intellectual conversation or to care about someone elses point of view. These people tend to hover on chat programs and news articles way too long, like most of the day, and just blabber when the rest of us have jobs, studies, families, and allow ourselves a healthy amount of time on the computer, you know what I mean? If we try to protest or make a formal denunciation of terrorism, we don't get enough media attention. We should do more, definitely, but we do try.

Sorry, I know its a lot, but there was a lot to say. Oy. So what do you say? Can we talk? Are you interested?

September 27, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  8. WestboroBaptistChurch

1. All bad things that happen in this country are the result of letting gays in the military.
    2. There has never been a small group of Christians that made all Christians look bad.

September 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • J.W

I hope this is a joke.

September 7, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • WestboroBaptistChurch

Yes, for anyone wondering this is a satiraclal reference to the Westboro Baptis Church who protests the funerals of dead soldiers... And look like idiot's.

September 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
  9. nick

Well isn't this another rosy picture painted of Islam, and what a surprise its on CNN? I am starting to wonder if CNN was purchased by Muslims of some sort as their propaganda machine keeps churning out this false hope. 9/11 was the most infamous of the attacks, but lest we forget the thousands of attacks before and since then carried out by Muslims? No matter what version the Qaran you might read there will be a debate or argument about its accuracy and interpretation. You should not trust what you read on the web because it might be an Islamaphobe, but you can also say the same if it is interprated by a so called extremist. If you really believe that all Muslims condemn these attacks then you have dis qualified yourself on every level in this article.
    Shall we take a look at all the strife globally, the hatred, the violence the killing and see what common thread the vast majority have? It is all based on Islam, Europe is much further ahead of the USA in immigration and population of Muslim immigration and if you are telling me that all these countries that are standing up to Islams demands not requests are all right wing Islamaphobes then so be it, but it once again proves yourself as a Muslim propaganda machine. Violence, murder, the killing of your own kids in the name of honor for a so called religion of peace, persecution in a majority of Muslim nations including the so called Moderate ones against any religion other. Sorry but I have never known of any religion other then Islam that breeds the evil, hatred and violence that Islam does plain and simple.

September 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • BG

" am starting to wonder if CNN was purchased by Muslims of some sort"

Saudi Prince Waleed has recently acquired large interests (read,stock) in both CNN and FoxNews. It would seem that in his ongoing effort to mold American public opinion of muslims, CNN is being used as the 'good cop,' and Fox the bad.

September 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Sereena

Mr. Nick all i can say to you is first of all there is only ONE version of the Quran.. it has not been changed at all.. here are some reponses to what you said

Number one have you EVER read the translation of the REAL Quran
      because there is only ONE version as i mentioned above.. and most muslims have read the translation there is not ONE VERSE saying to kill your kids/wife/daughter/ whatever else.
      there is a verse in the Quran however which says 'If you kill one person it's like you killed the whole world. and if you save one person, its like you saved the whole world.'
      The type of Islam which is portrayed thru Media is not the real Islam..
      When i hear something i don't believe it and no one should.. we should ALL do some research before talking

Let me ask you one question when a Muslim shoots any person, that is not forgotten be it pre 9/11 or post 9/11
      however If a christian or Jew happens to do that then either it is easily forgotten about or they are considered mentally unstable.. now tell me is this correct? Is this equality? I'm not here to criticize any race or religion its just a straight and easy comparision
      I'm a Muslim who is a citizen of this country.. and Yes if anyone attacks this country it will hurt me.. I will feel sorry for the lives lost..
      the first thing Islam teaches people is to be 'good humans' then good muslims.. this is just not my opinion once again any proof you want is in the Quran
      Islam isn't here to be interpreted my extremists.

Every religion has good and bad people.. just because of the 5% or what media or websites portray doesn't mean thats all Muslims
      Just because a christian/jew/hindu person shoots a group of people that doesn't mean all the followers of that religion are bad.. you can't generalize like this

hope this helps clear any misconceptions about Islam

September 12, 2011 at 3:52 am |
  10. Answer

@William

The one who sees everyone on the internet as an enemy. The one who labels everyone who comes to argue on the CNN blogs is a Jesus freak.

That is you.

September 7, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Answer

The internet?

Now the internet is Christian? I thought Al Gore was in charge?

I don't have enemies, just future victims 🙂

September 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • Answer

"Now the internet is Christian? I thought Al Gore was in charge?"

Deluded? Are you claiming i said the internet is christian? Where is this vast pool of inane comments coming from?
      Seek help William.

September 7, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Answer

Or it could be that I improperly used the "is" instead or "as" in my initial post. Still rather not all too difficult to replace one letter and piece together the message.

I must say – I should have proofread my initial message. Oh well. No apologies though William.
      I see your reading comprehension – as non existant. You skim. Jumble an idea out of hate and add your flavor feedback from a canned hate response.

September 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Answer

Perhaps some more Ritalin might help you with the basics.

My enemies are Christian, and you said "The one who sees everyone on the internet as an enemy" therefore you implied the majority of the Internet is Christian.

Please review your rants, you seem to be leaving dangling dogma!

And thanks for the hatred, it warms my heart!

September 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Answer

@William

Look into that statement you have just spew out. Look again.

September 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Answer

I have, would you prefer it translated to Christian, or perhaps Polish?

September 7, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  11. Ron Campos

Loser.

September 7, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  12. thertruth

This guy is a cry baby who could care less about all the real Americans that were killed on 9/11. Maybe the reason people keep asking muslims how they feel about it is because not enough have come out and condemned it. They just keep quiet and keep donating to and quietly supporting the extremist groups. Another thing I’m sick of is that “Oh it’s just a few bad apples” That is BS. I see the mass protest against America and it’s a lot more than a few bad apples. It a few bad apple trees if you ask me. So if you “Good Apples” want people to stop asking you how you feel about it than start speaking out against it. Or aren’t you really against it? You make me sick!

September 7, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • Open Mind

If that is seriously what you think after all you red then your totally brain washed! You need to step out of that box you live in and open your eyes. He grew up here and has nothing to do with any extremist group but you’re still singling him out for being Muslim. I'm not sure what race you are but if I use your mentality then I can blame you for everything members of your race have done!

September 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • Open Mind

Plus every single country in the world hates America and I blame people like you for that!! Narrow minded ignorant fools.

September 7, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • Sereena

Do i go around posting things about Christianity?
      Funny thing is when a white christian man or woman goes around shooting and killing people they are forgotten about or announced as mentally unstable.. however lets say if a Muslim kills someone then the world ends because its a Muslim.. is that fair at all? It's a free country we can practice any religion or no religion.. don't go around saying things about Islam if you have 'heard it' or 'read it' somewhere.. make sure you have the correct information..
      and BTW are you telling me no Muslims died on 9/11?

islam teaches HUMANITY go Pick up a Quran stop relying on what you see on Television or read on websites.
      Just because TV channels show 1 or 2 min videos of people with beards and turbans killing and shooting people doesn't mean you believe that..
      I'm sure you have Almost no Muslim Friends.. Ask people who have Muslim friends what kind of people we are
      don't generalize all muslims based on about what 5% do

EVERY religion has good and bad people.. just because a Christian/Jewish/ Hindu person goes around killing people doesn't mean all people of that faith support that..
      get your facts straight please

September 12, 2011 at 3:58 am |
  13. Jae B

It amazes me t the amount of stupidity that takes place on a forum where people are supposed to give educated and well informed opinions.

first, to all the people who don't believe there were mass amounts of hate towards muslim people after 9/11 are living in a damn fantasy world. The tension between our muslim americans and other groups was so thick that not even a regular knife could cut it. And Im not saying that people were intentionally hateful (some were), but I believe the fear that had amassed among us after that time made (some) of us intentionally hateful. We wanted someone to blame, someone to point the finger at, and by golly why not point at the the people who resemble the terrorists the most ( I say that sarcastically). And to say some of this bigotry, ignorance and most of all fear is still not around, would be again a person who is living in LALA land.

I applaud the writer because he was bring up a serious point in a way of humor. Do I think he knows everything, no, because no one does. But I do believe his point was valid! We have got to stop trying to pinpoint the blame on people because we ourselves are still hurt. It's like saying every white person is like the idiot above me (Tracy L) who believes in such trash, or a black person who harbors hatred against a white person is like every other black person in the world, or better yet, a Muslim man who was born and bred in this country (and even one who has not) has the same intentions as the terrorists that knocked down two towers that day! NO! They are not the same, and no, they should not have to apologize for the wrongs that people within their religion, their minority group, their country has done!

It would be the same thing if I expected every white person to apologize for the years of slavery that my people had to endure on this land, but I dont! Why? Because I know that there were people who were white, that fought against social injustices, just so I can have the freedom to wrote this post! I also know that just as I sat and cried and watched million of American dies that day, a Muslim woman, man and child was doing the same. I understand respect, and I understand hurt, but I also understand moving on. I understand acknowledgement. Respect what has happened, Acknowledge it, and MOVE

Oh...and for those of you who still are idiots about this article and the light it brings to the subject, why don't you start with apologizing to the native americans, Im sure they would loooooooooooove to hear your, what would be years of apologies.

September 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • xapns

I agree about the native americans. That was a travesty. Why don't you do a little bit of research about the crusades and see where these countries stand today. See what has happened since. Why don't you tell me why those crusades happened.

Again do research of all the strife in this world and tell me who is responsible for it. You seem to be smart. Go ahead and research and reply.

September 8, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  14. Brian

Nickelback is Canadian. They should apologize.

September 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  15. Deathstalker

Why does anyone think muslims should appologize to begin with. I don't feel the need to appologize when idiots do something stupid regardless of what the reasons or there beliefs. They did something stupid and they got us to invade IRAQ good job.....

September 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
  16. Say what?

"Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?"

Condemning and apologizing are 2 different things. Surely the author must agree that condemning a terrorist act is the right thing to do...and regardless of religious affiliation.

September 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • Robin

Don't worry, the author is an idiot. American caucasians are still sorry about the slaves....

September 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • yannaes

You got that right Robin. I do penance everyday and does it feel good to get all the guilt I caused 160 years off my back. I am so please you wrote that, I do feel so much better now that I know why I was doing penance. Thanks for your insight!

September 8, 2011 at 9:23 am |
  17. Dennis K

Several bring up the apology time period, pointing out how today's non-slave owning whites are still expected to apologize for American slavery. I would suggest that the time period of a Generation be used as a general standard for an apology period. I do not mean the approximate twenty years it takes to put a new generation on the face of the earth. The generational time period is when those that were alive when the atrocity occurred would be responsible for apologizing.

That puts it upon me, at 54, to apologize to blacks for the inequities of the pre-Civil Liberties era, since I was alive. It says that as an American I would apologize to anyone the country has wronged (and I can maybe come up with My-Lai, and that be about it). I cannot do more than apologize for those, but as forgiveness for what 'we' did wrong.

Personally I apologize to everyone that I have ever sinned against myself. And those apologies may be repeated, if the person that I wronged does not understand the sincerity of the apology, and refuses to accept it. And most in life I apologize daily to my Father for sinning so that he had to send his Son to die for my sins, and to Jesus for putting him through the pain of taking my sins. After I die, however, no one needs to apologize for me. My apologies are done while I am alive.

September 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Dennis.

My Lai is a good starer, but do you REALLY believe thats it?

Perhaps genocide against the Indians? An immoral and illegal invasion of Iraq? The bombing of Dresden? The invention of genome specific pathogens for warfare?

I LOVE my country, but acting like we are saints is ABSURD if one has even an inkiling of historical education.

September 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  18. Ted Wilson

Frankly, when, oh, when has anybody heard a serious muslim apology for 9-11? What is this guy talking about? This is just more of the same saying, no, we're not going to apologize routine under a different heading. Islam has no strong tradition of contrition or moral self-examination, or confession and forgiveness of sins. So why should any muslim feel compelled to apologize for an event which is so clearly muslim by tradition: kill the infidels, wreck their cities and civilization by whatever means is handy or necessary. Indeed why should anyone expect an apology from a muslim at all. What would be nice is an apology from Islam for it's tradition of arrogance and abuse of human beings just about everywhere. and a deep and genuine reform of Islam whch includes a complete rejection and cleansing of the religion of the murder, enslavement, and militarism for All*h ideas.

September 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • Ted Wilson

PS: I love muslims as human beings, and I pray for them. I do not like Islam at all.

September 7, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • GizzyN

The problem isn't that they're not saying it... the problem is, you are not listening.

I heard it plenty, so it leaves me baffled when I hear people claiming that no Muslims/Muslim groups condemned the acts of 9/11 or terrorism in general. I wonder just what channel those people are tuning into, and I wonder how they could have missed any of DOZENS of press conferences over the years.

I do find it funny though how quick people are to say that psychopath in Norway wasn't a "real Christian," but in the next breath will ignore and insult any Muslim who tries to explain that terrorists are not REAL Muslims.

Quite frankly, religion & religious people in general baffle me... they all seem to do way too much talking AT each other and not a whole lot of listening.

September 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Epidi

"So why should any muslim feel compelled to apologize for an event which is so clearly muslim by tradition: kill the infidels, wreck their cities and civilization by whatever means is handy or necessary."

You could say the same thing about what white "Christian" people did to the Native Americans. Such generalizations of race or creed is not just ignorant – it's stupid. The man who wrote the article is merely stating he's tired of his fellow muslims apologizing for their religion. Much like Pagans keeping a low profile because of the misconception that they worship the Devil because they don't want yet ANOTHER ignorant oaf accusing them of things they don't do.

September 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  19. Jonathan

@Iman I forgot: "They just sit back and play the ‘poor, pitiful, misunderstood me’ role – just like the blacks. Maybe that’s why so many blacks are drawn to the religion?"

Quite a broad brush she's painting with.

September 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
  20. Colin

For the first time in my life, I'm starting to think the Christians have a point. How many articles have there been on Islam in the last few weeks?

September 7, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Laughing

Colin NO! Have you foresaken us?!

It could be because Ramadan just happened, could also be that I bet they've gotten a hel.l of a lot of messages from our christian buddies here saying "Why you hat chriztins? why you no hat izlambs?"

September 7, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Of course they have a point.

Just like Bonnie did when she said Clyde was a bit "touched"

Alas, she was just as "touched" as he was!

September 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • J.W

It is because you love us Colin. You are starting to feel the love of Christians like me, and it is giving you a warm fuzzy feeling that you cannot resist. You are like wow if this can happen to me there must really be a god.

September 7, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
    • Bob

You've got to keep it Fair and Balanced, on the one hand you have Fox news, on the other Faux news!!!!

September 7, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Colin

Laughing -despair not, my good friend, my loyalty is assured!!!

J.W. – lol. Is this how Luke felt when he realized Darth Vader was his father?

Wd – good one.

September 7, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • Laughing

@Colin

PHEW! Honestly though, If I ever catch you wavering, or god forbid (haha) actually believing in god, I might have to join you, because only god could get you to convert

September 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • J.W

Yes Colin, but we can have peace with each other instead of fighting with light sabers.

September 7, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
    • J.W

Wow Laughing I thought no one would convert on these blogs, but the theists are making progress it looks like.

September 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
    • Colin

I think we can all agree that it IS time Canada apologized for Celine Dion.

September 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • Laughing

Oh JW

You have no idea, just wait, by the time I'm done here, I'll have gotten at least a couple of "converts" on this blog.

If I can get a jew, on birthright to seriously consider converting to christianity in under 5 weeks, I can do it here.

September 7, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • J.W

How did you do that? I didnt think you were ever Christian.

September 7, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Laughing

@JW

Oh no, I was never a christian, just helped in the conversion process. Honestly, it was a bet between a friend (who's a catholic) and I. If, on a jewish trip like birthright, I could get one of the participants to convert to anything else, I would get a steak dinner at a nice steakhouse. Christianity was just the easiest route.

I ended up getting a cheeseburger from good times, because I got him to consider it, but he never actually made the leap, but what can i say, If I had had a couple more weeks I could have done it.

September 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Answer

@Colin

No. Let Celine Dion has to apologize for herself. She's still alive, so it's her responsibility. Write a blog hashing her out, i don't mind.

September 7, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Laughing

@Answer

You are dead wrong

Celine Dion is a plague on this world, a constant reminder to everyone how terrible this world can actually be. It was Canada that raised her to prominence and it is Canada now that needs to take collective responsibility in apologizing and putting a hit out on her.

September 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • J.W

Wow that is pretty good Laughing I am impressed. Now you have to get people to convert to atheism. LOL

September 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
    • Laughing

@JW

IT's admittedly harder. Firstly, there are many christian bashers (no shortage of atheist bashers either, but we'll ignore them) on this blog, so I'm already dealing with people in defense mode. There's also a problem of only having a go at a single comment board, that anyone can butt in on and reassure a person debating theology. With this kid on my trip, I had to see him everyday and he thought I was "one of them" so he was more willing to listen to my subversivness.

It isn't impossible though, just....tougher.

September 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • J.W

Well Is Celine Dion the only bad thing to come out of Canada? I dont think so. They also gave us Alanis Morrisette and probably a few others that they need to answer for. They gave us a couple of good wrestlers such as Edge and Bret Hart, but they still should answer for Chris Jericho and Christian.

September 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Answer

@Colin

Well her music stinks. It is my opinion. As to my response on her own apology. I stand firm – she should do that herself.
      She hasn't realized that herself – well she's an idiot. Fact: I am Canadian.

September 7, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • Laughing

@Answer

First, it's actually pronounced Lah-fing, not Colin. Second,as JW has said, Canada has sh.it on us for too long, I demand an apology, Celine Dion was just the last straw. Now that I have you here, apologize right now for all the shi.ttiness that you have crapped out for your country.

September 7, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Laughing

The Ice Backs have given us Captain Kirk and John Candy and I suspect Girdon Lightfoot.

They are forgiven

September 7, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • J.W

Barbados should be our greatest ally. They gave us Rihanna.

September 7, 2011 at 3:45 pm |