home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Iqbal Khan

Hello Folks,
    Ask and demand who was behind this 911,study and Research starting with,checking on youtube... Alan Sabrosky, Dov Zakheim,an so many others.
    Now check this link.....

September 18, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
  2. markjuliansmith

I’m sick of Muslims not accepting clear responsibility for the evil outcomes of their own Islamic Foundation Text – hiding behind words such as Moderate / Liberal where clearly Muslim Terrorists, by the claims of their own parents are coming from Liberal Moderate families – even from within Democratic Western Societies – who seek to destroy fellow citizens.
    What do you want me to say, seriously? – "I am responsible and I will move immediately to delete from the Islamic Foundation text, text which constructs Other as evil, even condemned by God Himself, and destined for 'grievous harm' which is the cause of not only 9/11 but continuing Islamic genocide against Other – And I will start with the Quran Chapter "THE COW"."

It is not a matter of apologizing for 9/11and every other Muslim atrocity it is a matter of not only accepting Muslims are responsible but actually changing the Islamic Foundation text which cause genocide against Other as it has since the seventh century. and of accepting as a Muslim you are responsible. Why? It is simple.

Foundation Text = Ethics = Ideas = Motivation = Actions For and Against Other.

Cognizant human beings are formed and deformed by Foundation text.

Change the Foundation Text or Change Nothing.

If you sing from the same hymn book you are in the same choir – therefore you are singularly and jointly responsible for the source content and outcome of the performance.

Faith provides Secular and Religious Certainty the Greater the Certainty the Greater the Danger to Humanity.

Where Religious Textual Constructs = Secular Textual Constructs the outcomes which the Foundation text informs will be the same. In Other words compare the standard Secular Text of Hate (we all know what that is) with the Mohammad's Quran and exactly the same Textual construct of Other is there – And Humanity expects a different Outcome – reality shows this is simply not possible.

September 18, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
    • Patel

By the same reasoning, all Christians and Jews should apologize to the world for Adam and Eve.
      Well? Let's hear your abject apologies. Your god told Jews and Christians to kill many people over the years.
      There is nothing in any religion to keep one from murdering another for religious purposes. The self-interpreted "words" of your respective "gods" overrules anything else they may have said. If you think your god wants you to kill, it suddenly becomes OKAY.
      This is the problem with all religions. There is no self-evidence. They all need to be "interpreted" which only means that someone gets to pretend they know what everything means and what their god is "telling" them.
      When they think their "god" who rules life and death says to kill, then who is going to argue when they would gladly do so?
      There are no true religions. None of them are self-evident. Any real god would be self-evident. None of them are.

September 19, 2011 at 1:22 am |
  3. juan carr

Im sorry I rushed to get off line as my wife was calling on me but the 3rd part the justice part of that revelation was Washington DC how those brave men just happened to devert that crash headed for the place that so called stood for this thing called liberty and justice for all, that just happened to not be touched, that my friend is a beautiful thing, He and He alone is perfect justice and He and He alone is our liberator and He who only His Son sets free is free indeed. This my friends has nothing to do with your culture or race or religion, this comes by faith through grace in that NO human can boast. and the globe can lie to themselves all they want but the truth remains we all have the same enemies, death and our own conscience. Keep an ear out for His word for faith comes by hearing and keep a sharp I out for hope and grace because thats all you need to recieve victory over death, not war, power comes by the one who has defeated death, not that causes it. thank you lord for all your provisions today, prepare the hearts and mines of the lost the poor in spirit that they may come to know your fresh mercies that give us oppurtunity to recieve your free gift of salvation,Amen

September 18, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  4. Stu

You haven't seen apologies from the millions of Muslims not involved in the attack because they had nothing to do with it. Islam is a religion of peace, just as Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism and most of the others are. Muslims revere Jesus as a teacher and a prophet, just as they do Moses. The sad fact is that there are Muslims, Christians and Jews who will take a single passage from their text and use it as justification for acts of terror and repression. Read the Koran, talk to some Muslims, before you condemn them all. For the record, BTW, I don't believe in any organized religion, but I recognize that it brings meaning and improves many peoples' lives.

September 18, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • PIC

You should try reading the whole Koran, then get back to me and tell me its a religion of peace. 😉

September 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  5. sbc854

99.9% of the Muslims didn't do 9/11 it but 100 percent of them approve of it. My suggestion is read the Koran. "A Muslim shall not be friends with Jews or Christians". That is only the start. Saying Islam doesn't condone terrorism doesn't make it so. Everything the Ayatollahs and Imams do and say and every one who acts with violence does so in the name of Islam. Violence is the end result of Islam. Women are debased and marginalizes in Islam. Teenagers are brutally murdered. So do us all a favor DON'T apologize.....just go home to your respective evil and backwards countries. We believe in human life in the west and you don't. Just go home. You are not welcome here.

September 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Indyagainstoblahblah

It is the religion of intolerance and ignorance. Why do you think they dont want people, especially women, to be educated. They are easier to contol and maniplulate if they are kept ignorant. Similar to Obama and Pelosi and Reid wanting to keep the poor and ignorant in this country on their entiotlements. See yah, wouldn't want to be ya!

September 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • JJ

You're hilarious. Really. "We believe in human life in the west"??? LOL. Yeah ... like you believed in life when you invaded Iraq under false pretenses and killed a bunch of Iraqis and just the same as you did in Afghanistan, Vietnam and a whole laundry list of other countries? You practice capital punishment for cryin out loud, is that believing in life too? Ignorant people like you are the reason why Muslims feel the need to keep apologizing. Stop believing everything you hear on Fox news and open your eyes for once in your life. And if you think you're an awesome American because you're good at telling people they're "not welcome here" because their opinions differ from yours, then YOU'RE the one who should leave because you don't know the principles your own damn country was built on and THAT'S most certainly "not welcome here."

September 18, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  6. PIC

I have yet to hear a single Muslim say they didn't support the attacks on the World Trade Center, let alone apologize for 9-11 (Which is saying something since half of my neighbors are Muslims).

September 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Kate

Strange, i was in the military on that day, serving side by side with many Americans, who happened to be of Muslim faith, who cried alongside everyone else at the horrors of that day, I'm pretty f-ing sure they weren't all happy that their "Muslim brothers" just killed a bunch of Americans. Religious intolerance and idiots like you are what makes this country suck!

September 19, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
  7. juan carr

how screwed up is the human race? well God says we all continue to fall short, One 1st has to see this in them self in order for one to even begin to learn of this God he so proclaims to know so well. That being said on what authority are you going on to say it was all planned out my these men and their so called religious beliefs that caused this, Because if we as believers in Jesus Christ the living Son of the living God, would come to know and believe that His word says that He knows the end from the beginning, that means that He is in complete control, unlike His children us or athiests or agnostics or muslims and the list goes on and to cap it all off satan himself, powerless. and because God is who He is these terrorists glorified God, Wow take that to the polls! somebody please. If one truly knows the mystery of the cross, or have recieved the wisdom of God, they will know this statement as living truth not just wars stories. God uses everything for His glory and that includes satan this dude doesnt even stand a chance, this is the Gospel the trouble is brothers and sisters in Christ you are the enemy your flesh or sinful nature if you truly have not been dieing to it daily you are being decieved, by who ever it is you are recieving your messages from I dont care if its the pope, your pastor, or father flanagien, we all fall short, God shares His glory with NO one if you truly are set free and walking in the spirirt and are an overcomer and are bringing hope and healing to your family and neighbors it is diffenitly not you doing it, it is Grace and you are suffering to do the will of God just like Jesus was that nite in the garden when He said not my will be done but yours Father, this should be whats going on in this super mind that our Lord said would be transformed. from the self rightous hypicrits that He knows we are, and loves us anyway as we freaking sit here making His calls on jugding whether or not this was done by who for what reason, really? here I thought ONLY God was all knowing, 1st point proven now 2nd one, back to 9-11 you know what blew me away I was in Washington for the 1st time last week, and man I was in awe learning about our country starting from the revolution to the civil war , to the holacaust, This whole freedom thing all would never have taken place if it wasnt for the Jesus Christ, all this freedom stuff is just 2ndary to its actual true meaning as we are 1st and for most slaves to our sinful nature. now that being what it is remember what the word says about God getting all the Glory, well as He prophsies we are all thieves and yes we slowly little by little kept wondering away from the truth or the message of the cross that it is only Jesus that had set the captinves Free that He who the Son sets free is free indeed not a group of deligates,especialy man himself so what do we do instead we disobey our Father God who just so happens to not only love but HATE SIN which is ANYTHING contrary to His word, So what did we do? God showed me in His word that weekend of 9-11 as I was trying to find the scripture bolden on the side of the liberty bell, by the way that big crack call it what you like but the Lord relayed to me our ways are as flawed as that crack He allowed in that Glorious Bell. Here we go in Leviticus 26:1, think of the Lincoln monument for starters, God says Do not make idols or set up carved images, or sacred pillars or sculptured stones in your land. now alittle ways down we have 26:14-16 if you disobey me I will PUNISH you I WILL BRING sudden terrors upon you, now before I go on when you get a chance just read Lev 25 thru the end real slow and see if you see any resemblence to maybe whats going on or what could or should be going on. Now back to how the muslim dont have a clue on what ever it is they think they are doing for their glory,as niether do Americans or us So called Christians as we continue to lift up God and statues of Great men but no Jesus no cross. Lev 26:30 I WILL destroy your pagan shrines and knock down your places of worship I will leave your lifeless corpes piled ontop of your lifeless idols. the twin towers was our greatest idol it was our symbol of money or fanaicial and economic structure,now this truth is 1st 2 fold and then justice is revealed. Lev26:18 -20 is God stating again and by the way dont miss the fact that God 1st off is a Man of His word and 2nd He is merciful, By god allowing the pentagon to be destroyed as well and the twin towers we are shown that we are not in control and that we as a country are no longer a super power, and in Lev 26:20 proves this point God is saying that ALL our efforts WILL be spent in VAIN and then for the real story on terror read 26:36-43. and the scary thing is we arent getting it, take this to the media baby and to all the Churches of Christ So that We can look to our self as the enemy and ask God as a nation for forgiveness, so that we can LIFT UP THE CROSS and follow the voice of a risen savior, WE who have excepted Christ have only to fear our ways not the ways of the adversary as Christ defeated DEATH so that eachday we my know freedom in a world that lives in fear.

September 18, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  8. Tika

Muslims who had nothing to do with 9-11 (99.999 % of Muslims) should never have to apologize. We don't expect Christians as a whole to apologize for the actions of the extremists of their faith so why expect it from Muslims.

September 18, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Denmarch

Maybe it's the filter of mainstream media, but I have yet to hear any apologies. CNN would not dare to report on the other side that this reporter denounces. For the other side you have to search the web yourself for articles like http://rightsideonline.blogspot.com/2007/11/islam-and-terrorism-verses-in-quran.html

September 18, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  9. Casey

First, there were never any apologies, only contempt. Secondly, 1.5 billion don't actually havw to do the act, they just con done and inhibit investigation into mosques which encourage homegrown terror. You all screwed yourselves in how you behaved, and now all the back peddaling begins.

September 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • Tika

What evidence do you have for any of your accusations?

September 18, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  10. henry

I've never heard a muslim apologize or speak any regret over 9/11. Islam is a fascist faith.

September 18, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • Chad

Then perhaps you should pay more attention.

September 18, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Kate

Must be hard living in that shelter of yours!

September 19, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  11. Veritas

No matter what the Bible, Torah or Qur'an say, they are constantly used by religious nutcases all over the world to commit atrocities. Happened in Bosnia, the West Bank, Gaza, Jerusalem, Islamabad, Tehran ,London, Madrid, Kabul, etc etc etc etc. Religious delusions and their accompanying texts lead to crazy, angry, sick people committing murders, Hopefully one day we will realize that we don't need religious delusion and are able to deal with reality with our own intellect and reason.

September 18, 2011 at 10:43 am |
  12. sam

Same as you don't have to apologize to African American for what other white christians did to them why should i apologize or have a tattoo on my forehead that says "I APOLOGIZE" for something I did not do?

September 18, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  13. Paul

White people in American, regardless of their descent, have been made to feel sorry for slavery hundreds of years after. I didn't have nothin to do with it. I got nothing to be sorry for, expect other than it happened (in the same way i feel about sorry the holicost happened to the Jewish people). We aren't chasing muslims around the streets, and attack their places of worship; the way muslims do Christians in Egypt, Indonesia and all around the Middle East. This author just needs get over himself, and stop whining just to whine

September 18, 2011 at 9:27 am |
  14. sam

A lot of you are misguided if you think Christian extremist have never done anything wrong. Don’t even have to go as far as the crusades to see their path of destruction to humanity. Look what happened to the natives of America, native of Australia, and many other Aboriginals. I think African Americans are forgetting how they got here too. It was all done by Christians. And Paul, you like to post here ignorantly and full of anger, though the crusades happened long time ago their destruction and massacre has not been forgotten. What the Muslim extremists are doing is disgusting and disservice the Islam in general. It’s no different than what Christian extremists have done in the past and still doing in secret.
    Peace

September 18, 2011 at 8:49 am |
  15. Muneef

Am sick and tired of this talk about the religious and the non religious things being taken as an excuse to squeeze crashing down those nations or countries....innocent peaceful people are the first to pay the price in such conflicts and wars..

What did the revolts brought to the people in those countries any thing other than continuos unending revolts and demonstrations scarcity of essential commodities and products adding to the sky high prices... While other essential needs such as electricity power supply,water,gas,diesel,petrol are being used as a pressure tool by the opposition or the ruling party to keep people mad on the streets rather than going home seeing to their daily living making and minding their own businesses...but what business will continue with such chaos and disorder...? Students are not allowed to go to their schools and universities with out being surrounded and beaten up...?! Businesses are dismissing staff and becoming exhausted towards bankruptcy and the closure down....!?

Feel my head is going to explode thinking about all those facts that am suffering my self facing all these things and an exhausted business that is heading towards that end sooner than later for this stand still motion for the past 8 months of heavy demonstrations,chaos and disorder that is increasing by the day...! Imports/Exports are stand still, the banks have stopped taking any fixed assests and lands as bank guarantee towards taking loans to over come this situations where you can not find buyers paying good towards what you sell when you need financial liquidity...but these time you cannot sell unless you will sell it at the lowest ever in the market...!?! Honestly tired of that now more than was tired before all that started but at least things were stable although many were deprived but managed to live by those upper hands/classes giving charity..unfortunately today those now are being exhausted into becoming all deprived from every things in life "no peace,no justice,no future"....
    --–

I bet you the more of that take place the more you will find people going into exposing religious and non religious intolerance towards life and every living thing since might have nothing to care for or be optimistic about...!!! Guess the global financial and economical crises or hardship are adding oil to fire since that slows growth to providing jobs and employment opportunities to the growing youth of their generations...! There will only be few opportunities for them to make a living and that is by joining terrorist militants or pirate activities at sea or high way roads..!
    We became prisoners of our neighborhood due demonstrations,we became prisoners at our cities due the Tensions created by the extreme oppositions "socialists&islamists" what a combination they make that warns of a war between them soonest they finish the task of over throwing the ruling party...! The whole country is divided as political parties,as tribal,as armies... All just as waiting for the hour to explode due these pressures applied...!! Well if that is our destiny and faith then let it be but by applying such acts on the populations by those Political Parties playing their dirty games is not Islamic at all and if that what is applied by those Muslim to Muslim then what can you non Muslims expect to be treated at any other MidEast country?!

---
    These are men greeds and are unrelated to religion nor it is in favor of religions...religion is a direct spritual connection between the Servent and his GOD...that was what most of us knew before we were spoiled by the "Islamic Belt Idea" that the West had introduced and marketed it in our MidEast area towards encouraging youth to join militants in "Jihad"  establishing that belt surrounding and fighting the communists in Afghanistan and some Asian countries... Well now that has spoiled our life coming back on us and you but I do not see why should we innocents pay for your "Political Games"...!?

My late father told me during the early 90's that those youth who faced some shock such as an emotional shock ,they become extremely religious...so if that is true then imagine what shocks has the Arabian Spring brought and what shocks will keep on coming to all those MidEastern countries...!
    No wonder now the shocks on Somalia and the countries that followed after 911 keep on breeding endless terrorist militants....!!!
     Some body has really spoiled the whole map based on a false dream and Fox's Islam-o-phobia....!!!
    Oh mighty GOD have mercy upon us,GOD ease our hardship,GOD bring us back Peace & Prosperity in this life and the life after...Amen.

September 17, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • paul

All muslims should be required to tatoo on their foreheads "I APOLOGIZE". That way maybe, MAYBE, the message will sink in when they bang their foreheads on the rug 5x a day in submission to terror. Numbers do not make it right either. That just shows the extent of the deception and is no excuse for it. I would change that ritual and add to say " I WILL NOT TERRORIZE ANY ONE". Islam is NOT an absolute. There are other ways to worship a greater power than us more valid. It is not even the same God as the Jews and Christians no matter what they say. What separates them from the rest is violence and the use of killing to propagate their cult and they approve of it. That is why people resist them and that is as it should be.

September 18, 2011 at 7:56 am |
    • alex

paul: here is my apology . go puck yourself

September 18, 2011 at 8:47 am |
  16. beijingyank

No need for Muslims to apologize for something they did not do.

The scientific forensic evidence is in and it is irrefutable. The conversation is now "who did it" and the fingers are pointing to the mafia inside the Beltway.

September 17, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  17. Ahmed

All I see here is BLIND HATRED FOR ISLAM AND MUSLIMS , Hatred driven by anger and ignorance of people who are talking about what they don't know and judge a religion of 25% of the world population , not only that but it is the fastest growing religion in the world , You need facts? facts is that although this war on Islam managed by your media which is controlled by Zionist who are brain washing you , Still so many westerners convert to Islam everyday . But of course non of you bother to ask why! is it because they were forced by sword to convert? Lol , may be because they are all crazy terrorists ? another LOL , another fact "HISTORICAL FACT" Muslims Conquest nearly the whole entire old world and was the Greatest Empire at its time for centuries, How many did Muslims kill when they did so? please go to history book and check , on the other side how many were killed by Christians in the so Called Crusade wars? ok lets make it easyer, how many were killed by Muslims in the Conquest of Spain? and on the other side how many Muslims were killed by Christians when they take over Spain? yes let me hear it.... ooh all Muslims because Islam disappeared from Spain by killing people and torturing and that is historically known , oh Did Muslims Oppress people from other religions? How come Jews were enjoying peace and security and treated equally under Muslims rule in Spain but once Christians toke over it they Ran away ? Because Christianity is the religion of peace , should Muslims apologize for 9/11? 9/11 were not done by any Islamic Government , aha but lets see , World War 1? who did it? Westerners with christian majority "MILIONS WERE KILLED" , OH AGAIN , WORLD WAR 2? Muslims? no again not ! Crusade wars , Muslims? again not , Hiroshima bombing ? Muslims again not! oh mass killing of Native Americans! Muslims? again not ! Mass killing of Native Australians? Muslims? oh how shocking! again not? Mass killing of Muslims in Serbia ? were all these crimes done by Muslims ? OH killing hundred of Iraqi people under the name of freedom! again it were not Muslims, oh Wars in Africa were thousands are being killed ! is it planned and organized by Muslims? Did Muslims give them Weapons to kill each other and kill Children and women? No there wars are mainly planned and run by USA and by American weapons , I can go on and on for so long , but would you ever see the reality? would you stop being blind? stop hatred ? stop being BIASED ? I doubt it , because ignorance is the virtue of fools

September 17, 2011 at 2:51 am |
    • paul

Not knowing the answer to that question only shows how lost the muslims are. islam is not an absolute and their forced conversion through terror, violence and death is what makes it of Satan.

September 18, 2011 at 8:04 am |
    • markjuliansmith

"Hatred driven by anger and ignorance of people who are talking about what they don't know and judge a religion of 25% of the world population" Definitively driven to a degree by anger – but anger that it has allowed to continue to cause terror against Other without substantive check. Not ignorance for how can we ignore what we see before our very eyes every day as has humanity since the seventh century. How can we not know when those of us who have read the Islamic texts understand with clarity the hatred and grievous harm it constructs not only in text but in reality. It is you who needs to address your own ignorance – as Mohammed said of the rejecters of the faith deaf dumb and blind – dumb you are not but deaf and blind surely.

September 19, 2011 at 1:13 am |
  18. ytuque

Where are the muslims apologizing for islamic terrorism? The ones I meet only claim to be victims of islamophobia rather than members of a religion committing terror attacks across the world.

September 16, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  19. CJP

Christians should not apologize for the crusades either because it had nothing to do with Christianity. If you are not convinced, pick up the New Testament and try to find any teaching at all that would support this type of barbaric behaviour. But the media and opponents of Christianity still continue to slam Christianity for the crusades and for the idiots who shoot abortion doctors!

September 16, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • ytuque

The crusades were a response to islamic invasion of historically christian and jewish lands. If the muslims had not attacked, there would have be no crusades. There is nothing a christian needs to apologize for!

September 16, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • paul

You do realize that the Crusades happened like 1000 years ago?

September 18, 2011 at 8:15 am |
    • Muneef

As I understand you advertised and called for the Crusade just in order to put an end to wars among you at the dark ages of the Western Europe by finding alternative enemy to focus on...so really you should be thankful and appreciative to Islam that has allowed you to achieve your unity up to this date and only because of that you are what you are today...!?!

September 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  20. CJP

No need to take a shot at Nickleback just because you don't like them!

September 16, 2011 at 10:23 pm |