home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. curse of man

The issoe isnt which religion is the bad one. The issue is that religionmakes decent people dohateful things because it divides humanity into believers and nonbelievers. You kill your enemy, and those of you religion.make no mistake about it, religion bypasses morality and makes decent humans drones that are psychologically brainwashed by using our greatest desire; to belong.if you can control you feelings of isolation and loneliness, religion will haveno host to infect. Make no mistake people, religion is a plague of epic proportions that aims ruin ourworld, making it a desolate desert withno sign of life. Thosewho claim theyr believein god, maybe you really worship thedevil

October 1, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  2. Blaise Pascal

I've never heard a muslim apologize for 9/11. The outrage from the muslim community was nonexistent, and duly noted.

For you to raise the 99.9999% argument is a fallacy. A significant plurality or majority of muslims in many countries supported what the terrorists did that day. Also, duly noted.

October 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  3. Blaise Pascal

I've never head a muslim apologize for 9/11. The outrage from the muslim community was nonexistent, and duly noted.

October 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  4. manual

Shouldn't America & CIA first apologize for training Osama and his troops? They trained him and knew what he was turning into... You grow a pit bull and walk him out and if he bites you, should the passerby apologize? What the F is that?

October 1, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • myopinion

I agree, but that was during the cold war and for some reason communism was the evil thing at that time. Funny how times change.... I am sure that Bin Laden hated the western world at that time, but it served his purpose to ally against us for his own benefit.
      What's that old saying, "keep your allies close, but your....

October 1, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • myopinion

sorry

"but it served his purpose to ally with us for his own benefit."

October 1, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • manual

A crazy man will use any reason that is useful to him to justify his acts. If we fed this crazy guy, we should own up and not repeat such mistakes...what we did after 9/11 is to start a feeding ground in Iraq for such guys...how sad...

October 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • jonathan

@ Manual... Osama bin Laden was not crazy..unless you wanna call half the whole Muslim world crazy ..you might 🙂
      there are many people who feel the same as he does or did... That being said , they're all wrong , but still they feel you are wrong so there you have it. 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  5. tobin1

Muslims never started to apologize. Right away they took the victim stand without a word against the attacks.
    It's funny how he states that he "didn't do it" and therefore not responsible. Agreed, but If that rationale is valid, then I was also not there during slavery, not there during the Holcaust or any other cause celebre and should also not apologize.

October 1, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • jonathan

Well , I find myself apologiziing for all the false ideas of Christianity ,..in fact that's what I believe The United States is created for ... 🙂 for the last 15 to 1700 years there are a lot of false manifestations of Christianity, which Jesus is blamed for...
      🙂 🙂 🙂 all of these things shall be over come...perhaps in America first.. 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  6. Joe

Mumbai attack + Madrid bombing + Bali bombing + WTC bombing + Tower 1 on 9/11 + Tower 2 on 9/11 + Flights 11, 175, 77& 93 on 9/11 + 7/11 in London + Lockerbie plane bombing were crimes. These are deliberate attacks on non-combatants based on the attacker's and the victims religions. Muslims should apologize for these every day.

Somali pirate attacks and Philippines Islamic terrorists are deliberate attacks on non-combatants based at least partly on the attacker's and the victims religions. Muslims should apologize for these every day.

9/11 attack against the Pentagon could have been semi-legitimate if it weren't for the takedown of flight 175.
    Suicide bombing of Marine barracks in Lebanon was a military target. But an apology is still warranted since they were on a peacekeeping mission.
    Black Hawk Down incident in Somalia was a military target. But an apology is still warranted since they were trying to kill the warlord preventing food distribution.

US takedown of Iranian airliner (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655) was at least criminally negligent and led to the death of 290 people.
    US -backed 1953 Iranian coup led to the death of 800 people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat).
    US-led Iraq War #2 was mistake based on overestimate of real threats, death toll 110,000+. Even if this leads to democracy & freedom as currently seen in Turkey happening in Iraq, there can be no reasonable rationalization.

October 1, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • jonathan

Who can argue ????? 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
  7. Jay

Aman and all the editors at CNN: I must applaud for the wonderfully written article. I'm a christian and have been my whole life and when 9/11 happened, I didn't blame muslims, terrorists or islam as a scapegoat. I accepted the fact that, like the article said, there are people in this world that are so evil that they would do something like that. Is christianity better than islam or vice versa? That's not the issue. What matters is that as a christian, my duty is to love my neighbor as myself. Nowhere does it say "love your neighbor as long as they are a christian and go to your church" but the problem with that is this: Most christians take that and add conditions. I for one have no issue with muslims or islam and I believe that they are loved by God just as much as any christian out there.

October 1, 2011 at 10:42 am |
  8. sdk10

"Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself."

What a bunch of BS! THis moron obviously doesn't practice what he preaches. Let me quote a few passages from the Koran for him, since he obviously hasn't read it.

KORAN commands to kill infidels:

Allah is an enemy to unbelievers. – Sura 2:98

On unbelievers is the curse of Allah. – Sura 2:161

Slay them wherever ye find them and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. – 2:191

Fight against them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme. (different translation: ) Fight them until there is no persecution and the religion is God's entirely. – Sura 2:193 and 8:39

Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. – 2:216
    (different translation: ) Prescribed for you is fighting, though it is hateful to you.

..... martyrs.... Enter heaven – Surah 3:140-43

If you should die or be killed in the cause of Allah, His mercy and forgiveness would surely be better than all they riches they amass. If you should die or be killed, before Him you shall all be gathered. – 3:157-8

You must not think that those who were slain in the cause of Allah are dead. They are alive, and well-provided for by their Lord. – Surah 3:169-71

Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the hereafter. To him who fights in the cause of God, whether he is slain or victorious, soon we shall give him a great reward. – Surah 4:74

Those who believe fight in the cause of God, and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil. – 4:76

But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever you find them. – 4:89

Therefore, we stirred among them enmity and hatred, which shall endure till the Day of Resurrection, when Allah will declare to them all that they have done. – 5:14

O believers, take not Jews and Christians as friends; they are friends of each other. Those of you who make them his friends is one of them. God does not guide an unjust people. – 5:54

Make war on them until idolatry is no more and Allah's religion reigns supreme – 8:39

O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there are 20 steadfast men among you, they shall vanquish 200; and if there are a hundred, they shall rout a thousand unbelievers, for they are devoid of understanding. – 8:65

It is not for any Prophet to have captives until he has made slaughter in the land. – 8:67

Allah will humble the unbelievers. Allah and His apostle are free from obligations to idol-worshipers. Proclaim a woeful punishment to the unbelievers. – 9:2-3

When the sacred months are over, slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them. – 9:5

Believers! Know that idolators are unclean. – 9:28

Fight those who believe neither in God nor the Last Day, nor what has been forbidden by God and his messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, even if they are People of the Book, until they pay the tribute and have been humbled. – 9:29 (another source: ) The unbelievers are impure and their abode is hell. (another source: ) Humiliate the non-Muslims to such an extent that they surrender and pay tribute.

Whether unarmed or well-equipped, march on and fight for the cause of Allah, with your wealth and your persons. – 9:41

O Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites. Be harsh with them. Their ultimate abode is hell, a hapless journey's end. – 9:73

Allah has purchased of their faithful lives and worldly goods, and in return has promised them the Garden. They will fight for His cause, kill and be killed. – 9:111

Fight unbelievers who are near to you. 9:123 (different translation:
    Believers! Make war on the infidels who dwell around you. Let them find harshness in you. (another source: ) Ye who believe! Murder those of the disbelievers....

As for those who are slain in the cause of Allah, He will not allow their works to perish. He will vouchsafe them guidance and ennoble their state; He will admit them to the Paradise He has made known to them. – 10:4-15

Allah has cursed the unbelievers and proposed for them a blazing hell. – 33:60

Unbelievers are enemies of Allah and they will roast in hell. – 41:14

When you meet the unbelievers, smite their necks, then when you have made wide slaughter among them, tie fast the bonds, then set them free, either by grace or ransom, until the war lays down its burdens. – 47:4
    (different translation: ) When you meet the unbelievers in the battlefield, strike off their heads, and when you have laid them low, bind your captives firmly.

Those who are slain in the way of Allah – he will never let their deeds be lost. Soon will he guide them and improve their condition, and admit them to the Garden, which he has announced for them. – 47:5

Muslims are harsh against the unbelievers, merciful to one another. – 48:25

Muhammad is Allah's apostle. Those who follow him are ruthless to the unbelievers but merciful to one another. Through them, Allah seeks to enrage the unbelievers. – 48:29

Prophet! Make war on the unbelievers and the hypocrites and deal sternly with them. Hell shall be their home, evil their fate. – 66:9

The unbelievers among the People of the Book and the pagans shall burn forever in the fire of hell. They are the vilest of all creatures. – 98:51

October 1, 2011 at 5:47 am |
    • scott

Yeah, whole-heartedly agree. I have a digital copy of the Quran on my computer, and after even a momentary skimming of it's text, I can tell you it does not deliver a message of peace, and Islam certainly isn't the religion of peace. Make no mistake, the people that attacked this country a decade ago did so because they felt justified by their faith and by the Quran.

October 1, 2011 at 8:53 am |
    • wishing for understanding

some of what you quoted is correct in words but not in context. if you are interested in understanding (and only if u r interested), those facts of hostility and aggression were occurring At the times when Abraham, Moses, Jacob, lot, Jesus were all being attacked by the disbelievers ("DISBELIEVERS" is making reference to those who didn't believe in the oneness of God, his message or prophets whom he had send down to guide "us as mankind") by fighting, slaying them and having them flee out of their homes. Muhammad came after Jesus, to emphasize what Jesus had said and done for humanity. This occurrence was at a historical time in history, when the fighting and hostility was already there (even after Jesus!!). So, what you have quoted that appears as hostile and aggressive in nature was God guiding Muhammad and the believers on how to fight back the attackers, but always emphasized that they should not transgress in aggression, and if they stretch out their hands in peace then they must return the peace. You should understand that God told him that because of the current situation then, you should also note that there was future guidance (us today), which has been emphasized in the Quran endless times; that God loves the peace makers and to be just towards your neighbor, there is just so much emphasis in kindness and forgiveness and i really don't have time to list them all. but again, anyone who is interested in understanding will pick up the book and try to understand it. it is really difficult to understand it without help, just as the bible (I don't know about the Torah but I can imagine that it would be difficult too). In essence, unless you really understand the position of time when you are reading the Quran, then it's very easy to misinterpret its text and take words out of context.

October 1, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • jonathan

@ wishing for understanding ....oh how I wish O'Sama Bin laden has consulted with you first along with 90% of the Muslim world...before they ever read the koran so they could get the proper context..Just think 3000 could still be live in NY today. 🙂

And Muritania would not have a death penalty for those in it's county who convert to another religion from Islam.. Saudi Arabia too.. and just think about the 8th grader miss spelliing a word in school which blasphemed the religion of peace...now the child's whole family is subject to execution... 🙂

if only they could consult with you....
      QUESTION FOR YOU ???? Why did Ghandi give the Pakis their own territory from India.?????? ( A). because they were so peaceful like him and non-violent . (B). because they were so pretty (C). because the were Muslim (D) because of their propensity for violence from their Islamic characteristics .. (E) C& D
      answer (E) 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Iqbal Khan

911 was an inside check on youtube what Alan Sabrosky has to say and also check Dov Zakheim the man behind 911 and missing Trillions of Dollars of American Tax payers.....

October 1, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  9. Ali

Muslims "never started apologizing" ... obviously your wrong. but say that you are right, your point?? He says Muslims shouldnt have to apologize. I could refrence a plethora of examples of Christians, Jews, Blacks, Asains, Whites, Americans, Irish, Bristish, even Canadians... maybe not Canadians, but we all have done some terriable stuff. Im not saying it makes it okay, just saying delegating responsibilty of such acts of persons under the respective group is ignorant, stupid, stupid, ignorant, irresponsilble, stupid, and ignorant.

Disagree? Please say so, (I never comment on these things, becuase you never make actual progress) but if you disagree then maybe we can talk like educated humans and make progess.

October 1, 2011 at 2:40 am |
    • Jay

I agree with you Ali. Seems like before 9/11 happened, there was no care in the world for muslims over here in the western states. Even though islam was the fastest growing religion in the world, no one seemed to notice. Then once a group of radical, off center muslims commited the horrendous acts of that day, all of sudden, Islam is on headlines everywhere and is being blamed for all this. Evil men did that and we shouldn't categorize it to all muslims everywhere

October 1, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • jonathan

Talk to the majority of Muslims who do not supress those who act in violence...begin with the Palensitains who rejoiced on 9/11
      For me 9/11 was a good day in the light of the fact that Islam is exposed to the whole world..for what it is.. 🙂

Here's God's perspective of that day.. "The Lord shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath." Psalm 110:5
      I searched it out when he spoke it to me the night after the attacks... verse 5&6 says , he shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies, he shall bruise the heads over many countries.. .....

that is the head of every household in America ! for we are all Kings in this country.. 🙂
      What we saw and do see is that it will a miracle to destroy Islam and wipe if from the face of the earth... and it can not be done unless Christians have the same mind and purpose in the earth.. it is the opportunity to have the same mind and same purpose ...but that is impossible... the only thing we can all agree on is (" Lord save me") 🙂 🙂 🙂 we all want that but cannot have the unity of the spirit and the bond of peace , because we really don't want that. 🙁 🙁 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  10. Kris

Why should anyone apologize for something they had no control over or didn't do in the first place? The writer didn't fly planes into buildings and the ground. There were Muslims in those buildings also...needless to say, the terrorists on 9/11 were completely and utterly color and religion blind when flying those planes into the world trade centers, the pentagon and into the ground. Aman, quit being so defensive. If someone asks you what you think about 9/11...ask them how they feel about it. Turn it around.

October 1, 2011 at 1:35 am |
  11. citizen and american

the problem is not one of apology. the problem is one of a closed society. how many muslims knew and could have stopped this senseless killing if they reported their own. that is the problem. they hide the radicals and don't report them to the appropriate places like the fbi or homeland security. they are intimidated by their own radicals and fail to report them in their midst. this is what makes them by nature complicit in 9 11 and also by nature makes them accomplices. willful lack of responsibility. handing out candy to their children to celebrate 9 11 as the cnn films of the palestinians in gaza did also connects complicity.

October 1, 2011 at 1:29 am |
    • will

why do some white people in new York not report crime
      because they dont want to get involved
      they dont want to be killed or their family put in jeopardy

October 1, 2011 at 5:07 am |
  12. themadjewess

@MONICA:
    He is "Christian" by DEFAULT, AND, newsflash!! He is a Norwegian, NOT A US CITIZEN, stupid.

October 1, 2011 at 1:04 am |
  13. pfoneill

Like Sean, I have never heard a single Muslem apologize for 9/11. Aman Ali is telling Muslems to stop doing something that they have never started. That does not bother me. However, neither have I heard a single Muslem express outrage over what happened on 9/11. All I have heard from Muslems on the matter is "you can't blame all Muslems for what happened, so stop stereotyping us". Therefore, until every Muslem in the world commits an act of terrorism we can't blame all Muslems for Islamic terrorism.

October 1, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • Chris R

You haven't been paying attention then. It's not the muslim's fault that you are too self centered to pay attention.

October 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  14. Bob

That is one sweet beard. Do Muslims have to rock beards like that?

October 1, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  15. Muneef

(The Prophets)
    01) [The time of] their account has approached for the people, while they are in heedlessness turning away.

02) No mention comes to them anew from their Lord except that they listen to it while they are at play.

16) And We did not create the heaven and earth and that between them in play.

17) Had We intended to take a diversion, We could have taken it from [what is] with Us – if [indeed] We were to do so.

18) Rather, We dash the truth upon falsehood, and it destroys it, and thereupon it departs. And for you is destruction from that which you describe.

35) Every soul will taste death. And We test you with evil and with good as trial; and to Us you will be returned.

48) And We had already given Moses and Aaron the criterion and a light and a reminder for the righteous.

49) Who fear their Lord unseen, while they are of the Hour apprehensive.

50) And this [Qur'an] is a blessed message which We have sent down. Then are you with it unacquainted?

September 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  16. Fred

Good article. However, it seems to me that most Muslims that I know have a stigma that they(themselves) can not get past. As if they feel personally responsible because they are Muslim. For example. 9/11 was a crime committed on American soil because of wars past. I am hated because I am an American. Why? I personally didnt fight in any war, I personally didnt drop any bombs. My crime was I was the fastest swimmer on the wrong Continent.

You need to get over yourself. I love America. I love her for what she stands for, I love her for her faults. But politics get in the way of TRUE freedoms. Do I care that a person chooses to be Muslim? Absolutley not. Same goes for Christianity, Hindu, white, black, purple, gay, lesbian or anything other demographic you can infer.

Until mankind can expect everyone is different and not judge for ones beliefs, GET USED TO APOLOGIZING!!!

September 30, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
  17. Clif

My vote for CNN line of the year:

"Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?"

September 30, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  18. Pablo

Aman,

No you need to read the Koran. It is full of hatred, injustice, contradictions and fallacies. Besides, why would you worship a god that is lower that his creation. Allah swore but the stars, animals, cities etc. When you swear by something you must swear by something greater then yourself or else your promise has no meaning. The God of the Bible only swears by Himself because there is nothing greater.

Pablo

September 30, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • marc

I think you need to understand the Arabic language to understand the mystery of God's swearing of things he created, You only will appreciate this if you only study Arabic.

September 30, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • Lyle

Marc, So you are saying the ever so clear Quran(per the Quran) is not clear except in Arabic? That's some god you have there that is only understood in one language

October 1, 2011 at 12:55 am |
    • Gary

@Lyle

i have studied arabic for the past 10 years. YES, languages differ. Different languages portray feelings, and emotions that are not in other languages.

October 1, 2011 at 1:38 am |
    • Jim

You need to read the bible. It's full of It is full of hatred, injustice, contradictions and fallacies. Does that make Christianity a bad religion?

October 1, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  19. Argle Bargle

No one listens anyway.

September 30, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  20. Sean

Who is apologizing? I’ve yet to see, hear or read about a single Muslim apologizing. Nor do I expect them to. Get over it, you are not a victim. Those who died during 9/11 and their families are.

September 30, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Jon

Agree 100%. I've heard of no apologies. But now would be a good time to start.

September 30, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Chris R

Again, you haven't been paying attention. How about going on to google and typing "muslims condemning terrorism". Oh wait, I get it, you want an individual apology spoken directly to you by every muslim in the world. Then, and only then, might you think about believing it. Nice, you are really just hiding your hatred behind a flimsy excuse. Just come out and say that you hate brown people. It'll let everyone know where you stand.

October 1, 2011 at 12:25 pm |