home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.

But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%).

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. hippypoet

anyone and everyone who thinks Muslims are bad evil people are both ignorant and dumb... first off, people kill people... not religions... and the idea that an entire religious group is being made to say sorry for the act of a few morons is well moronic! Muslims, Jews, and the ever so loved most ignorant of the group, christians, are all worshipping the same fake god...serousily people, read a frigging book besides the bible... you may find truth not belief – there is a difference!

September 7, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

Is there a reason you capitalized everyone but the Christians? Me thinks so. I agree, one should read lots of other books besides the Bible, afterall that's what led me to believe the Bible was true. I read lots of opposing viewpoints and criticisms, on various levels. It took a lot of digging but the Truth was eventually revealed. Peace!

September 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • kendc

Muslims and any other religious people are the idiots for believing in such bs.

September 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • hippypoet

@ Alfonzo Muchanzo, yes the reason is i have more respect for them then i do for christians... to read your holy book for the Muslims and for most of the Jewish is there way of life... not so true for christians, they just maybe go to church on sunday – thats if the games not on or they have something wayyyy more important then life after death – but beware of any who knock there cr@p religion, they get mad and with no knowledge to defend there faith they just get mad! funny isn't it!

September 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • 1goodgranny

"ignorant..dumb...moronic"

Throughout the ages people have slaughtered other people in the name of *insert name of religion here*. Today is just the Muslims' turn. Who knows who it will be tomorrow.

As for apologies, Christians are still being asked to apologize for not doing enough during the holocaust (although I don't remember studying that any other religion did either, including those of Jewish faith), so 10 years isn't really that long, now is it?

But all in all the article is one of bigotry writing about bigotry.

September 7, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  2. Anthony Vaughn

Muslims are stepping up the creation of "no-go" areas in European cities that are off-limits to non-Muslims.

Many of the "no-go" zones function as microstates governed by Islamic Sharia law. Host-country authorities effectively have lost control in these areas and in many instances are unable to provide even basic public aid such as police, fire fighting and ambulance services.

The "no-go" areas are the by-product of decades of multicultural policies that have encouraged Muslim immigrants to create parallel societies and remain segregated rather than become integrated into their European host nations.

September 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Well having been raised in the big city, I can assure you Christian African Americans have been doing the same thing since 1963

September 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • BG

No, Bill.. this is different. In London even police, fire and ambulances are prohibited. It's not the same.

September 7, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • William Demuth

BG

Prohibited, or merely afraid?

You get the country you fight for!

September 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • BG

Prohibited because of fear...

They try this horseshíit over here and the fur will fly.

September 7, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  3. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

My question is why aren't those Muslims that condem the terrorist attacks and attacks on civilians saying it louder? Where are they and why aren't they saying more? That is what they need to appologize for! I need to hear louder condemnation of those and other attacks against civilians!

September 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Jimmy

LOUDER!!!!!! SHout it people 'cause that makes it true!

September 7, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • sam

ALSO CAPS LOCK CONVEYS TRUE SINCERITY

September 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
  4. curtis

And, for all the same conceptual reasons, I refuse to apologize for this country's slave history. Neither I nor any of my ancestors ever bought or sold another human being.

September 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  5. Wanderer81

Anyone saying Muslims need to apologize for 9/11 is like saying Californians need to apologize for the Donner Party...it was nothing more than 19 people waking up one morning and not listening to that voice in their head that said "turn back."

September 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Hey.

I don't care WHAT ANYONE has to say.

Sweden MUST apologize for ABBA.

September 7, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  6. King

CNN-

f you really want to showcase islam, how about doing an article on all the contributions made by Islam to humanity since 9/11?

September 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  7. yannaes

No, I did not miss it at all. Please do not flatter yourself so!

September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • heynow

Try the reply button

September 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  8. Answer

The small 'i' and 'l'..

Well I have to apologize. I do apologize.

September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  9. SickOfTheMuslims

Tell me, Mr. Ali, how frickin' stupid do you think we are? If you were so shocked and outraged by the terrorist attacks then you are not a true muslim. Your holy book teaches you to kill all non-muslims. The main thought of the koran is that there cannot be any other religion, women are owned and are for the purpose of serving their husbands, honor killings are O.K. and sharia law should prevail. Maybe some like yourself want to downplay this because you are caught in the middle. If you speak out against your religion you risk being killed by your own people and as we approach the anniversary of 911 you know that you and all muslims are being talked about.

September 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  10. BVN

^
    ^
    Racist. Aman you are a disgrace to humanity. Here's hoping you get to meet your 72 virgins sooner rahter than later.

September 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
  11. American Citizen

Go back to the Middle East... Americans don't want your stone age beliefs and customs here.

September 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • red

and send the Christian fundamentalists back to the Middle East too... Real Americans don't want their stone age beliefs and customs here either – since the Middle East is where they came from too

September 7, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • myweightinwords

In case you missed it, he was born here. In the US. He too is an American citizen.

September 7, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • Smity

u should go back to whatever the he11 ur from nobody wants YOU

September 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  12. Ted Smith

Every religion and nationality ought to be out to assert itself. We do ourselves a disservice by trying to advance others.

September 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  13. madge

What the hell is wrong with Nickleback?

September 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • marc

I was wondering what was meant by that one also...

September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • sam

ROFL

September 7, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
  14. Fear the Looming Canadian Menace!

I blame Canada. It's the perfect set up. They get the US military strung out thin across the globe, getting bogged down fighting Muslims and one day we wake up and they've annexed Vermont!

Well, yeah, ok. So Vermont doesn't really matter. But what if they annex Buffalo and make it part of Toronto? The Toronto Bills? I don't THINK so!

Wake up, America! And LOOK up! Yes, to the north! THAT is where the true looming menace lies!

September 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

And the damn Ice Backs, stealing all the jobs shoveling snow!

September 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • sam

They can have Buffalo.

September 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Fear the Looming Canadian Menace!

Ok, Ok. We'll cede Vermont and Buffalo. But what of they take Seattle? Who will brew our coffee then?????

September 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • Laughing

I still have yet for an apology from @Answer.

I guess we'll just have to invade them and finally make Alaska part of the contiguous US

Who's with me?!

September 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
    • sam

@Laughing – I'm in. Let's go.

September 7, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  15. Martin

Muslim groups are wise to keep making it clear that they don't support terrorism. That's because folks hear so much about terrorist acts committed by Muslim extremists that they need to be reminded that the majority are reasonable and law-abiding. If anyone doubts that, just read some of the comments on here! And there is a big difference between condemning and apologizing. No one expects an apology, but disassociation via condemnation is a smart move.

September 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  16. C VG

Who is the target audience for this message?

September 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  17. Reality

Aman Ali should apologize for even being a Muslim considering what the koran teaches i.e. world domination by any means and subjugation of women by any means.

To wit:

o On the koranic passages and world domination:

"Mohammed could not have known the size of the world, but several passages in the Koran show that he envisioned Islam dominating all of it, however large it might be: “He it is who sent his messenger . . . that he may cause it [Islam] to prevail over all religions´(Koran 9:33, M.M. Ali; see also 48:28 and 61:9). M.M. Ali designates these three passages as “the prophecy of the ultimate triumph of Islam in the whole world.”

Mohammed’s successors, the caliphs, quoted passages like these to inspire Muslim armies as they advanced out of Arabia, imposing Islam by the sword upon a peacefully unsuspecting Middle East and North Africa, as I described in the previous chapter.

Islamic armies, imbued with what Mohammed claimed was divine authorization, imposed Islam by force over vast areas, all the while extorting wealth from subjugated Jews and Christians to fund their ongoing conquests. As I noted, major defeats at Tours, France, in A.D. 732, and again at Vienna, Austria, in A.D. 1683, halted Islam’s attempt to take all of Europe by force. Gradually Islamic forces were forced to retreat from Europe, except for part of the Balkans. But Islam has again set its sights on a conquest of Europe and of European civilization, wherever the latter has spread to North and South America and other regions. Muslim strategists ask their followers, Why do we find in these modern times that Allah has entrusted most of the world’s oil wealth primarily to Muslim nations?

Their answer: Allah foresaw Islam’s need for funds to finance a final politico-religious victory over what Islam perceives as its ultimate enemy: Christianized Euro-American civilization. So, Islam follows Nazism, fascism and communism as the world’s latest hostile takeover aspirant.

Nazis, fascists and communists failed. Does Islam have a better chance at success? I believe it will flounder if we awaken to its threat in time; yet, if there is not adequate planned resistance, Islam does have a better chance of succeeding. Communism’s world takeover attempt was guaranteed to fail because its economic policy was naively contrary to human nature. Advocating the rubric What is mine is thine, and what is thine is mine, communism failed to see that human nature will not keep those two balanced propositions in equilibrium. Like a female black widow spider consuming her mate, the latter part of the formula makes a meal of the former, leading to the collapse of any system based upon that formula.
    In contrast, political systems do well if they can persuade people to adhere to What’s mine is mine and What’s thine is thine maxims.

Only if a strong religious incentive is added does such an idealistic formula have any long-term chance. Even then success will be spotty. But communism (and Nazism, for that matter) excluded religion. And that mistake was the final nail eventually clamping a lid on communism’s coffin. Communism, on a historical scale, perished while still in its childhood.
    Islam is not repeating communism’s mistake. Mating political cunning and incredible wealth with religious zeal, Islam does have a chance to succeed and will succeed unless major parts of the Western world unite to take appropriate countermeasures. But many Western leaders, unable to believe that a mere religion could possible be a serious political threat, keep proclaiming themselves as Islam-friendly, reasoning that all religions are good-aren’t they?

A Muslim strategist in Beverly Hills, California, declared several years ago, as quoted by a friend of mine: “Now that the struggle between Western democracies and international communism is winding down, it is time for the real and final struggle to begin, and we are going to win!”

Don Richardson

September 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jimmy

Bold statements, as quoted by a friend of mine. Christianity has the same goals of world domination. moron.

September 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • yannaes

Wow! Based on your "Reality," give me factual information that you have to support your claim. Of, if you are ever really in trouble, and need assistance, you may want to go to someone of whom really cares for you,more than you even do for yourself. So, "Reality" what is your reality deep within you? I understand defensive posturing, and that is ok. Life will go on and no, Christianity is not out to dominate the world! Where are you getting your information?

September 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Jimmy

From the local insistent missionaries.

September 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Reality

An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)

The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent Body Count

And the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

Continued below:
      Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[3][7] and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
      – The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943[1][2]) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).[3] His trial began on 3 June 2011.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

September 7, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Reality

The Twenty (or so) Worst Things People Have Done to Each Other:
      From: http://necrometrics.com/warstatz.htm#u (required reading)

The Muslim Conquest of India

Rank <<<Death Toll <Cause <<Centuries<<<Religions/Groups involved*

1. 63 million Second World War 20C (Christians et al and Communists/atheists vs. Christians et al, Nazi-Pagan and "Shintoists")

2. 40 million Mao Zedong (mostly famine) 20C (Communism)

3. 40 million Genghis Khan 13C (Shamanism or Tengriism)

4. 27 million British India (mostly famine) 19C (Anglican)

5. 25 million Fall of the Ming Dynasty 17C (Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Chinese folk religion)

6. 20 million Taiping Rebellion 19C ( Confucianism, Buddhism and Chinese folk religion vs. a form of Christianity)

7. 20 million Joseph Stalin 20C (Communism)

8. 19 million Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C (Islam)

9. 17 million Timur Lenk 14C-15C

10. 16 million Atlantic Slave Trade 15C-19C (Christianity)

11. 15 million First World War 20C (Christians vs. Christians)

12. 15 million Conquest of the Americas 15C-19C (Christians vs. Pagans)

13. 13 million Muslim Conquest of India 11C-18C

14. 10 million An Lushan Revolt 8C

15. 10 million Xin Dynasty 1C

16. 9 million Russian Civil War 20C (Christians vs Communists)

17. 8 million Fall of Rome 5C (Pagans vs. Pagans)

18. 8 million Congo Free State 19C-20C (Christians)

19. 7½ million Thirty Years War 17C (Christians vs Christians)

20. 7½ million Fall of the Yuan Dynasty 14C

*:" Is religion responsible for more violent deaths than any other cause?

A: No, of course not – unless you define religion so broadly as to be meaningless. Just take the four deadliest events of the 20th Century – Two World Wars, Red China and the Soviet Union – no religious motivation there, unless you consider every belief system to be a religion."

Q: So, what you're saying is that religion has never killed anyone.

A: Arrgh... You all-or-nothing people drive me crazy. There are many doc-umented examples where members of one religion try to exterminate the members of another religion. Causation is always complex, but if the only difference between two warring groups is religion, then that certainly sounds like a religious conflict to me. Is it the number one cause of mass homicide in human history? No. Of the 22 worst episodes of mass killing, maybe four were primarily religious. Is that a lot? Well, it's more than the number of wars fought over soccer, or s-ex (The Trojan and Sabine Wars don't even make the list.), but less than the number fought over land, money, glory or prestige.

In my Index, I list 41 religious conflicts compared with 27 oppressions under "Communism", 24 under Colonialism, 2 under "Railroads" and 2 under "Scapegoats". Make of that what you will."

September 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
  18. thertruth

I don't know that you can claim an Oscar "Everyone" but you can claim that you're an idiot. That makes no sense. And by the way white people are still apologizing. It's called affirmative action.

September 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jimmy

They're takin' our jobs!" Waaahhhhh!!!!

September 7, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  19. yannaes

For all you lovers of Muslims. Take a ride on the wild side. Come over to the Middle East, tell them you are an infidel and see what happens. Your liberal philosophy will soon depart.

September 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

Can some of us equally dispise christ humpers and mus lames?

September 7, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • yannaes

Hey, Anton Levy.. well, Jesus loves you, and God bless you and may the Lord of Light shine upon you. Yes, we know you, and you are still loved. God bless you and Jesus died for you, Anton Levy.

September 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

yannaes

Why travel? Lets just send some redneck soldiers.

Then they can slaughter each other, and we can sell more bullets to the DOD!

Isn't war PROFITABLE!

September 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Smity

been to the middle east as a christian noone cared and i told them i was christian so sthu pls thnx 🙂

September 7, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
  20. William Demuth

I dropped out of high school because of all the religious stuff. My mind is smarter then they are and i proved it to myself. I can also tell that im smarter then 99% of u fools on this board.

September 7, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

No one is smartar than me

September 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Answer

You are working with your own assumptions. That is all you have been doing.

So you are wrong. As with all religions basing there own opinions on their assumptions.
      You ARE very well your own enemy when you are presuming too much.

September 7, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Again, please excuse my illegitimate son.

His moma was a fool, but she was TIGHT!

September 7, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Answer

"She was tight" – could be thought out as you have a small wiener. So unless you give out specifics on your "size package" then someone could say and agree. "Well since you DO have a big wiener!" – yes then we agree she would be tight.

September 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • yannaes

So, you dropped out of school and you are smarter than those of us of whom competed University, went on for a M.A. and PhD?That is a egregious statement filled with self-gratification that can only be mixed with a pseudo form of narcissistic neoclassical egoism. Good luck!

September 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Answer

Work on your presumptions William.

I gave you the logic.

September 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Answer

Actually that would mean she was loose, but it seemed rude to call the mother of my retarted son loose.

September 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

yannaes

For one who values intellect, you seem, well, clueless.

There is someone pretending to be me. Or did you miss that?

September 7, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Answer

She wouldn't care .. if she was self assured on her own body image. You aren't better by demeaning her or labeling your son.

It's your mentality though. So whatever ..

September 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • William Demuth

@Answer – I b@nged your mom also, booom................im the sarteesttttttttttttttttttt

September 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Answer

Dude, you have no clue!! So silly.

Someone is posting silliness, pretending to be me! I am just poking back!

Just like the two apostles pretended to be twelve.

September 7, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • However

Answer
      "She was tight" – could be thought out as you have a small wiener."

You have it absolutely backwards, kid. I think you'd better think it out again.

_____________________________________________________

yannaes,

Your University degrees were not in English, correct?

September 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • WIlliam Demuth

Other William Demuth

Boom! Yes you truly are the SARTEST.

I bow before your brilliance!

September 7, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Answer

The small letters jumbled together ..

When apologies are due .. I do apologize.

September 7, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Answer

Well the rehash of I've banged your mom doesn't have any significance – addressed to the fake.

Now that it's sorted out. Sometimes deceptions are not readily made apparent and perceived.

September 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Answer

To the true William or however you may use the i and or L. I don't care which, it would be best if your moniker were thought out better to not be so easily exploitable.

September 7, 2011 at 3:33 pm |
    • sam

@yannaes –
      "That is a egregious statement filled with self-gratification that can only be mixed with a pseudo form of narcissistic neoclassical egoism."

Best laugh all day. You must be a joy to work with.

September 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm |