home
RSS
My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11
Muslims praying last month in Los Angeles, California, at the end of Ramadan.
September 7th, 2011

My Take: Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11

Editor’s note: Aman Ali is a New York-based writer, stand-up comedian and the co-creator of 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a Ramadan road trip across America.

By Aman Ali, Special to CNN

New York (CNN) - As a Muslim, I’m sick of people asking me how I feel about 9/11. What do you want me to say, seriously?

Do you want me to say, “It was a great plan, mwahahaha!” before I fly off on a magic carpet?

I was born and raised in this country and was just as shocked as everyone else to learn there were people on this earth so vile as to commit such a horrific attack - or to even think about doing it.

But I didn’t do it. Neither did 99.999999999 percent of the roughly 1.5 billion people in the world who also call themselves Muslims. So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?

Just like Christianity and Judaism, Islam unequivocally condemns terrorism. Don’t take it from me, though. Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.

When 9/11 happened, I can understand why the average person would want to know what Muslims actually believe. After all, the terrorists claimed they were acting in the name of Islam.

Weren’t we clear before how we feel about terrorism? If people didn’t understand us for the past 10 years, what makes Muslims think they’re going to understand us now?

If I have to explain 10 times to my little brother how to operate the toaster in my apartment, that’s not my fault because of inadequate messaging. It’s my brother’s fault that he’s dumb.

It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies.

Imagine you’re in the habit of partying with a group of friends. And every party you go to, there's a friend in your crew that spills grape juice on the carpet - the really awesome kind of grape juice that’s in the fancy wine bottles (we Muslims don’t drink alcohol but we still can party like ballers).

How would you feel if people stopped inviting you to their parties because your one friend kept spilling grape juice? That's how I feel. I'm really annoyed I have to keep apologizing or condemning Muslim extremists that keep spilling their grape juice of hate on the world.

Dictionary.com defines the word apologize as “to offer an apology or excuse for some fault insult, failure, or injury.”

When 9/11 happened, I was 16 years old and playing Tetris during English class on my TI-83 calculator. I’ll apologize for not paying attention to Mrs. Fulton’s lecture at my high school in Gahanna, Ohio, but that’s about it.

Mike Tyson started sucking really bad in the boxing ring after he converted to Islam. Should I apologize for that? Oh, and I think I saw a few Muslim-sounding names in the production credits for the movie “Green Lantern.” I guess I should apologize for that, too.

That finding is not going to provoke me to question the general public’s patriotism. But please stop questioning ours.

The 9/11 attacks were a terrible tragedy that changed all of our lives. There’s no way we can ever forget what happened.

But what we Muslims can do is advance the conversation, rather than repeating the same old condemnations. Condemnations and apologies are like an out of style fashion trend, the parachute pants and neon hair scrunchies of civil discourse.

What Muslims need is an extreme makeover. Now that’s some extremism I can get behind.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Aman Ali.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Islam • Opinion

soundoff (2,556 Responses)
  1. Yipes

I agree with the author. Muslims should stop apologizing for 9/11 and all the Islamic terrorist activities across the world. It will at least stop the lies.

September 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • marc

No lies won't stop, because that's what racist whites do.

September 7, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • sam

What racist anyone will do, marc. Quit grinding your axe.

September 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
    • Ted Wilson

LOL. ROF. Kudos to Yipes!

September 8, 2011 at 1:05 am |
  2. MaryLou

This is America it will go on forever. Look at the black and white issue. People are still dealing with that. We owe blacks forever because the British and other black people enslave and sold other black people and on and on and on. So learn to live with it.

September 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • soupie

we dont owe blacks anything

September 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
    • Thomas Verheij

Except for the fact that blacks now REALLY enjoy equal rights.
      You can't argue with that when you even got a black president now.
      Besides, don't black people enjoy a much better life than they would have in Africa?
      Arn't blacks contributing members of society now?
      We don't owe blacks anything anymore.
      How they deal with the fact that over 200 years ago they wern't slaves anymore, is up to them.
      We OPENLY apologised and gave them all they needed.

September 7, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • marc

What is it with you whites always bringing up Blacks this article has to do with Muslims not the Black race. Tell me when was the last time a Black person knocked on your door and asked you for a apology.

September 7, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • GodPot

"We don't owe blacks anything anymore.
      We OPENLY apologised and gave them all they needed."

#1 Total abolition of slavery was finalized by the Thirteenth Amendment which took effect in December 1865 – 146 years ago
      #2 We do not give them all they need. Racism is a disease with very very long lasting effects.
      #3 You are a moron.

September 7, 2011 at 7:59 pm |
    • josh

I dont owe anyone crap. get over your dumb unfounded white guilt.

September 7, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  3. DitchDX

Apologizing Muslims? Uh, where is that occurring? In the last 10 years I have not heard ANYONE (Muslim or not) apologize for 9/11. Just sayin...

September 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • massad

Can't see the wood for the f'ing trees eh?

September 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
  4. Joe Joe

I honestly haven't heard an apology from this guy. Hell i don't even know who he is. I have deployed 3 times to Iraq and lost many MANY of my friends there. You should apologize for the people killed on 9/11, the ones killed in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the families and fellow Soldiers of those affected. Your "faith" claimed credit for everything that happened that day. Your "faith" is what brought the United States and Her Allies to your countries to destroy that which you support.

September 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Mohammed

My brother served in Afghanistan as a Marine, he lost friends, fellow soldiers, and guess what He is also a Muslim. Is he supposed to come up to you and apologize too? I am sorry for the loss of your friends and pray for their families, really do. But, you went there voluntarily, you chose to, and now you want people to apologize for your choice? No offense, but thats a bit much dont you think

September 7, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Rand in UT

I must have missed the part where a "faith" made any statements whatsoever at any time in history. If you mean people who claim to belong to a "faith" then maybe you should be more specific. I'm sure if you are christian I can expect you to apologize in public for the abuse of children by christian priests. When can we expect that to happen?

September 7, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
    • massad

Peek a booh!

September 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  5. Yuveth

I agree with you and I don't think you should apologize for anything. You didn't carry out 9/11. I can totally see where you are coming from. I have the reverse of this.. I am an American and I live in a foreign country, and ..... I am not asked about 9/11.. I am asked constantly about – Did you support Bush? What do you think about the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan? Do you believe in torture and indefinite detention?........

Everyone believe all Americans are like Bush and that we are some gun toting, barbarians. Who, live in the stone age and have zero idea about what goes on in the world. Backwoods, inbred rednecks .. well etc .. you get the idea. It's not just about Muslims.... it's like tolerance for others and compassion for others.. needs to be retaught in the world.

September 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  6. Reality

Did Aman Ali apologize for the way Sir Salman Rushdie has been treated by Islam?

From Sir Salman Rushdie's book "Satanic Verses", p. 376, paperback issue – for those 1 billion Muslims to read as they are forbidden to purchase or read said book:

One of the passages that prompted the crazy Ayatollah Khomeini to issue a fatwa against Sir Rushdie:
    Mahound = Mohammed
    Gibreel = Gabriel
    "The faithful lived by lawlessness, but in those years Mahound – or should one say the Archangel Gibreel? – should one say Al-Lah? – became obsessed by law.

Amid the palm-trees of the oasis Gibreel appeared to the Prophet and found himself spouting rules, rules, rules, until the faithful could scarcely bear the prospect of any more revelation, Salman said, rules about every da-mn thing, if a man farts let him turn his face to the wind, a rule about which hand to use for the purpose of cleaning one's behind.

It was as if no aspect of human existence was to be left unregulated, free. The revelation – the recitation- told the faithful how much to eat, how deeply they should sleep, and which se-xual positions had received divine sanction, so that they leamed that so-domy and the missionary position were approved of by the archangel, whereas the forbidden postures included all those in which the female was on top.

Gibreel further listed the permitted and forbidden subjects of conversation, and earmarked the parts of the body which could not be scratched no matter how unbearably they might itch.

He vetoed the consumption of prawns, those bizarre other-worldly creatures which no member of the faithful had ever seen, and required animals to be killed slowly, by bleeding, so that by experiencing their deaths to the full they might arrive at an understanding of the meaning of their lives, for it is only at the moment of death that living creatures understand that life has been real, and not a sort of dream.

And Gibreel the archangel specified the manner in which a man should be buried, and how his property should be divided, so that Salman the Persian got to wondering what manner of God this was that sounded so much like a businessman.

This was when he had the idea that destroyed his faith, because he recalled that of course Mahound himself had been a businessman, and a damned successful one at that, a person to whom organization and rules came naturally, so how excessively convenient it was that he should have come up with such a very businesslike archangel, who handed down the management decisions of this highly corporate, if noncorporeal, God."

September 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • Chun Li

That's a good excerpt you've got there, Reality.
      How ironic that you, too, enjoy the thought of running people's personal lives without reason or knowledge out of some personal fetish for interfering in the freedoms of others....

September 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  7. undgrad2010

good luck man with all the trolls ppl coneming need a life grow up get over it and stfu
    thnx

September 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • undgrad2010

'Condemning islam"

September 7, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • sam

For a moment there I thought 'coneming' was the next new fad, like planking...

September 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  8. GEORGE W. BUSH

I MEANT WHAT I SAID! "THIS IS A CRUSADE AGAINST TERROR". some people thought i was stupid or ignorant for saying that.
    READ MY LIPS!

September 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
  9. protectUSA

Can anyone explain to me why Muslims do not stay back in their country and practice their religion and most if not all wanna come over this land ? After all there is no religious oppression over their country of origin.

September 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Rand in UT

What planet are you living on? Let's keep this simple. The person writing the opinion was born in OHIO! What country is OHIO in where you live? Do you honestly, no kidding, really think every muslim in the US was born in another country? Here's a newsflash for you. Assuming you are Christian, Christ wasnt American. Rut ro.

September 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
    • Raine

No offense, are you stupid? I'm a Muslim American. Where do I go? To a country that I have nothing to do with because I'm Muslim? So if I become Buddhist must I move to India? Wow smart logic.

September 7, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
  10. Islam = Poo

like my name says......

September 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  11. Rhonda

If being Muslim is reason enough for an apology for 9/11 then I suppose being Christian necessitates appologizing for the crusades, native residential schools, Jim Crow, KKK, etc.

September 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

They don't need to apologize for 9/11, but what they DO need to do, is openly condemn it and explain how it doesn't represent their religion. They don't do this (for the most part, ofcourse a few do) and that is what drives the anger.

September 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • josh

the kkk was a democrat thing its main purpose was to attack republicans, it just so happened that most all blacks were republicans.

September 7, 2011 at 5:16 pm |
    • Mohammed

@Alfanso You do realize that Muslims in this country dont have tv access like the rest of the crazy nut jobs on Faux right. IF you are actually interested in people explaining the religion why dont you get off the internet and actually go talk to a Muslim, i mean IF you really are interested. Its not that hard to read a book for yourself, Why are you waiting for someone to explain something to you, if you want to learn. GO get a library card, take your car down to a Mosque. its not that hard

September 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
    • April

As a Christian, should we apologize for Jim Jones and David Koresh?

September 7, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Rhonda

April, if Muslims need apologize for the crazies that some in their faith follow, then so should Christians.

September 7, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  12. Today

21st Century mankind:

The word Aplogize is no longer the fad, resist aplogies!
    Aplogies carry no meaning anways. this guy is smart!

September 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  13. Sam I Am

I lost many friends at the Pentagon and the Towers. I think of it every day. You and your trash are just examples of why we need to remember every day and question how Muslims can be stopped in the future. Do the world a favor. Get a vest, stand in a field and blow.

September 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Thomas Verheij

Sam I am, I'm sorry for your loss.
      I can't imagine the pain you went through when you lost all those people you knew very well and loved as well.
      America might have taken a beating on that horrible day, but Americans will always find a way to eventualy come out on top again.
      The lives lost that day will not be for nothing, because we made America much stronger because of their deaths.
      With every improvement we made from that point on, as a direct and inderect affect, we essentialy remember their lives without being fully aware of it.

This, is what I would love to hear every Muslim say.

September 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
    • shaneaus

You sir, are in vast need of some education – either your a troll (someone posting a comment to illicit an emotional and ignorant retort) or your so ignorant I'm surprised you know how to breathe. If you are a troll you succeeded in drawing out my one comment. Good day.

September 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  14. julius Akinyode

aman ali, i share your pain but the truth is that your 'brothers' have added nothing to modern history but BLOOD. BLOOD of the innocent

September 7, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Raine

Really? Because The English numbers 1,2,3,4,... were initiated and invented by who?... Ohh that's right, Muslims. What about the guy who taught everyone to do a heart transplant? Muslim. What about the man who taught people to solve linear and quadratic equations? Muslim. And the pioneer of neurology and neuropharmacology? Pharmacy? Do I have to continue? Ignorance isn't attractive.

September 7, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  15. Mohammed

Just so we are clear: ehhmm. I will NEVER apologize for something I did not do. I mean its pretty simple, just makes no sense. Why would I apologize for someone getting killed by a drunk driver that I didnt know. What, am i supposed to go up to the family and ask for forgiveness because I own the same model car as the one that killed their child

Furthermore, GET OVER YOURSELVES. You self righteous hypocrites. Apologize? I pay the same taxes as you, pay my bills like you, so F*** off is the only thing you would get out of me. Go apologize for all the crap white christians did, what the KKK did, and still does, in the name of a religion. Go apologize for the colonization of Africa, the raping of its resources. Apologize for the destruction of the Jews.

Matter of fact, Every catholic in the world should apologize for the destruction of the innocent children at the hands of the church. It was religious men that committed the act after all.

Ya kind of doesnt make sense to apologize for someone else's crap, does it?

September 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@Muhammidpoo – Yes you're correct that you do pay the same taxes as everyone else, as it should be. Unfortunately Christians in Muslim countries don't have that luxury, they have to pay a special tax for protection since they're non-muslims. Does that sound fair? Get outta here with your garbage.

September 7, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Mohammed

@alfonzo Well thats their problem isnt it. What do I care about what they pay in another country? what am i supposed to make rules for other countries now? gtfo lol Your coming to me with whats happening to people in the hands of other people, what do you want me to do, go to that country and say hey i think this is not kool because alfonzo has a problem with it, and so ya i think you should stop. why dont you try and use some common sense.

Like I said before, I will apologize for what I do, not what other people do, period. Its called logic

September 7, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  16. Dan

As a white Canadian. I apologize for Nickleback.

September 7, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
    • Bella

It's about time, dude...We've been suffering here.

September 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Emma B

Yes, now we have closure. Thank you.

September 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  17. Mik

Read the first 4 sentences. "As a Muslim" then later "born ... in this country". I, too, was born in this country but I AM AN AMERICAN. That comes first above all else. If that doesn't describe you, then I don't care where you were born,...get out of my country.

September 7, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • ANGEL

Thanks for your key word AMERICAN!! Listen up Mr Ali.....AMERICAN!!!!!!

September 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • SlayFalseGod

Are you sure you arent a Nazi ? LOL ....

September 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • DefinitionsMatter

So when someone asks you what religion you are you reply back with AMERICAN! ? Religion and country origin are two different things.

A Christian American is just as American as a Musilim American, is just as American as an Atheist American

September 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • Sarah

Are you really that stupid? "As a Muslim" is the same thing as saying "As a Catholic". Muslims are members of the faith of Islam the same way that Catholics are members of Catholicism. So if someone says "As a Catholic", do you think that they're saying they're not American? It's a religion, not a nationality. Muslims that live in America are just as American as you are. They're just a different religion.

And just because a couple crazy people that said they were Muslim crashed a couple of planes as an act of terrorism doesn't mean that all Muslims are like that. Westboro Baptist Church is insane, so I guess all Baptists are just as hateful as they are right? Lots of Catholic priests molest little boys, so that means that all Catholics are child molesters right?

It's stupid ignorant people like you that spread lies based on misinformation that other stupid ignorant people believe, and then rumors get started and spread like wildfire. Then people believe those rumors because they don't bother to do their own research. The world would be better off without idiots such as yourself.

September 7, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • Thomas Verheij

@Sarah
      Except this religion has a different language, has it's own culture, has it's own costums, and has very different beliefs than Christianity.
      It makes it extra different because multiple countries are officialy Muslim because there's no seperation of mosque and state.
      So saying that you're Muslim often SOUNDS like saying that you're Iranian, or Iraqi, just because the Islamic religion also has it's own culture, unlike Christianity.
      So yes, you do sound like you consider yourself different from Americans if you just affiliate yourself with your religion.
      Because all the Americans I know never ever say "As a Catholic/Atheist/Agnostic/ Protestant/etc".

September 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
  18. Thomas Verheij

You're sick of apologising?
    I didn't hear ONE single apology so far!
    I'm SO tempted to use so many foul words against you but I'll use all caps instead because I still want my comment to be shown.

Aman Ali: "What do you want me to say, seriously?".
    How about you first of all tell us that you embrace the American way of life and completely reject the beliefs of these terrorists? How about you say that you feel sorry for every person affected by 9/11 and wished it never happened?

Aman Ali: "So why should I or any other Muslim apologize for what happened?"
    Because it's a sign of RESPECT and common courtesy!
    Jesus Christ, do you have any idea how much people could even VALUE your oppinion on things?
    But no, instead, you show no respect AT ALL and just say that you don't have anything to do with it and therefore assume you don't need to do a thing.
    I'm from Holland, yet I feel sorry for every American affected and I support my American friends in any way I can because it's THE RIGHT THING TO DO.

Aman Ali: "Nickleback is planning on releasing another album. Should I ask white people to apologize for that?".
    Great comparison!
    IT'S BECAUSE NICKLEBACK DIDN'T KILL ANYONE, LET ALONE OVER 3000 PEOPLE!!

Aman Ali: "Grab a copy of the Quran from a library and find out for yourself.".
    Oh now WE'RE supposed to do YOUR work?
    If you want to re-affirm your statement use as much evidence as possible, now this makes you look even LESS credible.

Aman Ali: "Don’t rely on some cherry-picked crackpot interpretation of the Muslim holy book that you read on some Islamophobic hack’s poorly designed website. Speaking of which, Islamophobes need to put down the Quran and pick up a book on HTML programming and Flash.".
    I love how you think that everyone that disagrees with you is therefore islamophobic.
    You stereotype those people and then you expect US to not not use stereotypes on YOU in return?
    Double standards are nice but only if they bennefit you, huh?

Aman Ali: "That’s why hundreds of Islamic organizations around the globe condemned the attacks and told the truth about how Islam doesn’t condone terrorism whatsoever.

But that was 10 years ago. Why are mainstream American Islamic groups like the Islamic Society of North America, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and the Muslim Public Affairs Council still condemning the attacks and just about any other act of terrorism that pops up in the news?".
    Because it keeps happening!
    Thousands of attacks in the name of Islam/Allah/with the blessing of high ranking Islamic priests/presidents of Islamic countries have been commited and to be very honest with you, I didn't hear A SINGLE apology YET.
    You make claims yet you don't even give us your sources.
    Sounds to me like you're just making up stuff so you don't get those mean look anymore by everyone.
    Don't worry, Amin. It's not because you're Muslim.
    It's because people just don't like you in general. You're lazy and rude and you come over as disrespectful and unpatriotic.

Amin Ali: "It’s ridiculous for Muslims to continuously condemn and apologize for stuff when every religion has their fair share of crazies".
    Okay.
    So how many Budhist people blow themself up and kill innocent civillians?
    How many Christians capture UN aid releave workers and demand a ransom for them?
    How many Jews openly support Jewish terrorists organisations?
    How many Christian/Jewish/Budhist terrorists/militant organistations are actively operating?

Amin Ali: "Just because people hundreds of miles away claimed they were Muslim and committed a terrible act doesn’t mean I should apologize for it.".
    No, but it's an act of respect on a sensitive issue.
    Something you obviously can't understand because you don't care about 9/11 at all, you think it doesn't matter to you and it actualy annoys you that people are upset about it and seek you for at least a symbolic apology.
    Gee, you really are insensitive.

Amin Ali: " The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%)."
    That doesn't say anything!
    That just means Muslim Americans like the way things go, that doesn't mean they're more patriotic.
    There's a difference between being patriotic and being nationalist.
    A REAL patriot aknowledges the flaws in a country, and tries his best to fix them.
    Someone who just blatantly says "everything is fine, no change needed, I love my country", is close to being nationalistic.

I also love how you alienate muslims from the rest of the world.
    WE muslims, OUR views, US Muslims, etc.
    Do you really consider yourself different from all other Americans?
    Do you hold yourself to higher standards?
    I love how you never ever said that you consider yourself more American than Muslim.
    Yes, you were born and raised in the States, yet you don't sound like you feel American.
    And you just proved that by writing this insensitive assuming piece of nothing and insulted not only a country, but many other people and probably made peaceful, well thinking and considerate muslims facepalm at your insensitivity and arrogance.

Congratulations, now Americans with a muslims religious view will need to apologise for YOU.

September 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • Mohammed

The fact that you actually went through and posted all that proves you are bored lool.

September 7, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Answer

@Mohammed

You're bored too. By your definition. Applies to everyone who comes on along actually.

September 7, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Mohammed

@Answer. Well of course im bored, if I had anything more productive to do would I be hear lool. this is just to pass the time, i dont take anyone seriously on here. I try not to waste intellect on blogs

September 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
    • Bella

I demand, Thomas, that you apologize to Native Americans for taking their land.

September 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • ANGEL

@ Thomas -Thank you for pointing out all of what Mr Ali wrote!! Bravo!!

@ Mohammed its not boredom its the TRUTH!!! This forum PROMOTES ANGER AND DRAMA. As mentioned before OUR COUNTRY AMERICA needs to come TOGETHER as a Nation!! The way to do that is to respect everyone irregardless.

September 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • angus squared

@Mohammed – And the fact that you once again don't even understand anything he's saying, or bother to apologize, proves exactly what he and everyone else is saying. The Islamic religion is a farce and only provides detriment and hate for our world. Go back to the middle east where you pathetic POS's belong.

September 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm |
    • SlayFalseGod

Wahhhhhh .... somebody wants us all to be White Christian and Ultra Patriotic ... wahhhhhhhhh !

September 7, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Answer

@Mohammed

We're the same.

September 7, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Mohammed

@agnus

Ummmm ya, I dont know about you but I use common sense. I will never apologize for something I did not do. I feel bad that people got killed, wish it didnt happen. pray for the families and those who died. That is what my religion teaches me, to have compassion towards them. But apologize??? GET OVER YOURSELF. why do I have to apologize? Matter of fact, why dont you walk up to a Mulsim mother whose husband was killed on 9/11 and ask her to apologize to you. Go on and do that if you want an apology.

September 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • johnnyringo

@Thomas, Well said!

September 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  19. ANGEL

Mr Ali,
    Until today I never realized that there were so many Muslims out in society, apologizing for 9/11? News to me. I agree that these terrorist attacks were not condoned by the remaining amount of Muslims. My next question, why are you writing this forum? Your statements seem angry and pointing blame to others of different religion. Why promote more anger or address an issue that isn't there? You're following statement,

" I’m not trying to be insensitive about 9/11. Of course my prayers and sentiments are with anyone affected by the tragedy. The same goes for any act of terrorism.But I’m not going to apologize or condemn them because I don’t need to prove my patriotism with some kind of McCarthyite litmus test. The Pew Research Center released a study last week that found that Muslim Americans are far more pleased with how things are going in the United States (56%) than is the general public (23%)."

My question to you Mr Ali who is EXPECTING an apology from Muslims? Only person making an issue of this is yourself. Case in point, the statistics you provided in this heart warming forum shows, no issue so again please stop the DRAMA. We as AMERICANS need to stop segregating and truly come together. I welcome you to make that first step, I did when I was a soldier!

So Mr Ali, why not write something more productive with a resolve instead of your dry humor? Why not attempt to do an "extreme makeover" with all Americans versus only Muslims?

I have a great respect of all religions, and I refuse to believe your forum displays that same concept. You have a great ability to reach out to AMERICA positively- Choose it wisely!!

September 7, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  20. Mohammed

"but what muslims can do, is advance the conversation" LOOOL thats the funniest line in the article. Has this guy even tried to talk to most of these idiots? I mean just read the comments on this blog, they make Mussolini look like a monk. To advance any argument, one has to actually be discussing things on an intellectual level, there is no intellect present at the moment, only fear and ignorance.

1- people who have a brain and choose to use it, dont waste their time fearing something that does not need fearing

2- people who are ignorant and choose to be ignorant, will always fear a thing no matter what truths are revealed

so there you are. All you can do is point and laugh

September 7, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • NSafi

yeahhhh in order for there to be a dialogue we have to be on the same intellectual level

September 7, 2011 at 5:20 pm |
    • Mohammed

@Nsafi. No you dont have to be on the same intellectual level, I said to discuss things ON an intellectual lever. there is a difference

September 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm |