home
RSS
Obama proclaims National Days of Prayer and Remembrance
President Obama proclaimed the weekend as National Days of Prayer and Remembrance.
September 10th, 2011

Obama proclaims National Days of Prayer and Remembrance

By Ashley Killough, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Commemorating the 10th anniversary of 9/11, President Barack Obama proclaimed this weekend, Friday though Sunday, as National Days of Prayer and Remembrance.

“Today, our nation still faces great challenges, but this last decade has proven once more that, as a people, we emerge from our trials stronger than before,” Obama said in a statement Friday.

The president called on Americans to honor the victims of the terrorist attacks through activities such as prayer, memorial services, the ringing of bells, and evening candlelight remembrance vigils.

Obama also urged citizens to remember those among “the 9/11 generation” of service members who have “come of age bearing the burden of war,” with some paying the ultimate sacrifice.

Read the full story here from CNN's Political Ticker
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11 • Barack Obama • Belief • Church and state • Politics • Prayer

1. Nike Zoom Hyperfuse

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this site. Reading this information So i am glad to exhibit that I have an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I so much unquestionably will make certain to don?t overlook this web site and give it a glance regularly.

May 8, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
  2. King James Bible Society

King James Audio Visual Bible – and it is free at http://kingjamesbiblesociety.org

September 13, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • David Johnson

Yeah, but I bet it isn't as soft and absorbent, as the pages of the book...

Cheers!

September 13, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
    • The Obama Christian Church Worldwide Campaign

This is the reason why we worship and praise our good christian president Obama and that Obama will be Lord of the world on October 21st of this year. We need to use Obama to restore the traditional dictates of our good Word Of God or the Bible. The Obama Administration will help us christians restore the good morals of christianity which is good. We need to learn the gospels of Obama and Christ to restore the good morals of the world.

April 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  3. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wanna hear more about "squeeky" wheels and "ivory league schools" from the geniuses who post here.

September 13, 2011 at 9:32 am |
  4. CNNisIslamic

I am sure the 9/11 victims are comforted by President Osama wanting prayer and remembrance when no clergy were allowed at the 9/11 ceremony. He is so two faced that it is ridiculous.

September 12, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

A two faced politician? ,... respectfully what are the odds? 🙂

September 13, 2011 at 4:03 am |
  5. Stephen G

When O calls for a day of prayer CNN produces a positive story and the responses are favorable, when Perry mentions prayer or religion the libs go NUTZ. Two faced and transparent. This is one of the reasons that the Democrats are no better than the Republicans they complain about.

September 12, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I love it. Mark from Middle River attempts to school others as to how they should "debate". Meanwhile, he can't figure out what kinds of schools Harvard and Princeton are.

Really, it is to laugh. "Ivory League".

You're an idiot, Mark, and you're right here where you belong, with herby, Majority Toots and HeavenStinker.

September 12, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Coolness, ... wow my big fingers typing on a small PDA with autocorrect got me ..... 😀

Oh, how much you have dinged me Tommy. In the grand scheme of this Blog and all the messages, you caught a spelling/usage mistake.... well fair enough, you can have one .... a single brand new honest to goodness Willy Wonka Golden Ticket pass on me not shredding one of your post.

Use it wisely and do not waste it.... I tend to hit intolerant folks pretty hard. 🙂

September 13, 2011 at 3:49 am |
    • Tom Piper'Sr.

Oh! here you are my son..We've been worried about you. How did you manage to escape from the assylum? But wait, I see..you're having some fun down here. But don't worry I'm not here to get you and bring you back inside that lurky ward where they put you in quarantine.

I'm just here for the straitjacket you were wearing when you escaped, they made me pay for it. Just give it back to me so I could get my refund and you can go on stalking and bullying HS, herbie, your new prospect Majority and other believers down here with the rest of your useless and miserable life.

And good job of resorting to name callings everytime you ran out of arguments and using them as a valid one. You've just proved each and everyone here that you're an atheist and a TYPICAL one. Way to go my SON!

September 13, 2011 at 4:03 am |
    • Mark, Mark, The Piper's Dad

When you troll, Mark, it would help to disguise your style more.

September 13, 2011 at 4:23 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Sorry dude, you know how hard it is to unlock in first name on a PDA and then replace it. I almost had to reset all settings just to go from Mark uppercase "From" Middle River, to Mark lowercase "from" Middle River. Its not worth it, plus I like posting under my handle.

Plus look at the side recent comments. I was posting on another thread about that time.

Wow, they really shook you up today didn't they Tommy. They have you name calling, throwing multiple post and the like. Maybe you should just call it a night and sleep on it dude. Its not worth becoming so un-hinged. 🙁

September 13, 2011 at 4:50 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You dimwit, it's IVY LEAGUE. You didn't make a spelling error. You thought it was "ivory league". You typed it twice, dear. No use pretending it was some typo.

What a moron.

September 13, 2011 at 9:28 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Funny, like I said if you want to claim victory over my post because of a auto-correct/auto-fill typo... it is yours 🙂

Like I said ...use that pass wisely. If all you have is name calling in your tool bag.... you will need it. 🙂

September 14, 2011 at 5:07 am |
  7. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Herbie the Dumb Bug still stinks.

September 12, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Tom Piper'Sr.

Tom Tom..My son your words and the way you're behaving here reminds me when you were three. I miss you so much my son.

September 13, 2011 at 4:15 am |
    • Redneck louie

missed him twict myself with my ought six

September 13, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  8. Peace2All

@MAJORITY always WINS

" Thank You Mr. President for telling the whole world that you really are a Christian and (America is a Christian nation). "

I must have missed the part where President Obama stated that ("America 'is' a 'Christian Nation")

Please provide links as to where he stated this.

Oh, for the record... I'm not stating that somewhere he didn't or hasn't said this, however, I've never heard him say it. Just checking it out.

Peace...

September 12, 2011 at 2:20 am |
    • Dhard Truth

@peace2all

Webster.com or any dictionary/vocabulary sites->search for the word EXPRESS & IMPLIED.

I hope it will help resolve your concern.

Best regard...

September 12, 2011 at 2:33 am |
    • A Theist

I guess it sort of depends on what a "Christian nation" means. Does it mean a nation with the Bible as the source of laws? If so, we are clearly not a Christian nation. Does it mean a nation with a majority of Christians? If so, we should be re-labeled as a "CEO-Christian nation" (Christmas and Easter Only). To me it seems like there really is no definition of "Christian nation" that can apply to the US unless you use: "Nation that happens to have a decent number of Christians, with a number of outspoken individuals who believe their moral code should be applied as law."

September 12, 2011 at 11:30 am |
    • AGuest9

How could it be a christian nation? A good portion of the founders were deist.

September 12, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"A good portion of the founders were deist."

September 13, 2011 at 3:54 am |
    • LoneZero

@Mark from Middle River

"Which ones? Even a hard'core Atheist only listed two or three of the 56 signers and one of them, Jefferson, was a deacon at his church."

Actually many of the founding fathers were Deists. Do you know what a Deists is and what it means? There are even subcategories of Deist-Christian (like Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson) like your implying as christian and Deist non-Christian (i.e. Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen like you say atheist name).

Deist-Christians generally believed the Bible provided good lessons to live by and they attended church regularly, they didn't believe in Christ like you do and because of this outlook Jefferson wrote his Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth. Keeping the teachings but removing all the magic man mumbo jumbo and hate.

Deist non-Christians generally felt that Christianity was largely an impediment to growth and they did not attend church regularly.

They were still Deist and not Christian, they also believed in secularism and was open to learning about other religions including Islam.

Thomas Jefferson, for example, taught himself Arabic using his own copy of the Quran and hosted the first White House Iftar during Ramadan. Another was Benjamin Rush, who wanted a Bible in every school, also said he would rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammad "inculcated upon our youth" than see them grow deprived "of a system of religious principles."

The 1796 Treaty with Tripoli states that the United States was "not in any sense founded on the Christian religion". This was not an idle statement meant to satisfy muslims– they believed it and meant it. This treaty was written under the presidency of George Washington and signed under the presidency of John Adams.

September 13, 2011 at 5:35 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

LoneZero. I am aware that Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin were Deist but I am seeking evidence of the rest of the 56 signers being Deist as well. Even if we included Paine, who was not a signer or drafter of the Declaration and Washington was also not present or a framer of the Declaration. The site I offered list all 56 signers and I am interested in which might be listed incorrectly.

I do not believe that this is a Christian nation any more than I believe that it a White nation. When, not being dragged down by the radicals, we rock at diversity. 🙂

September 14, 2011 at 5:14 am |
    • LoneZero

@Mark

many of the signers under Episcopalian should have a Episcopalian (Deist) by there name like Jefferson and Franklin do, Most were before settling were raised as Episcopalian but became Deist after settling the colonies free from kings forced views.

you also said "Jefferson, was a deacon at his church."

while that is true it was merely out of duty then belief, he has many letters stating he did not believe in the Trinity or the virgin birth of Jesus and because of this way of thinking as well as writing his own bible, he was called a Atheist by Christian ministers of his day, and they tried to block his presidency because of it.

that's a good website though =) and your right we do rock at diversity!

September 14, 2011 at 5:53 am |
    • Felamir

219The poor should not be awlloed to breed. Condoms should be airdropped to those who refuse to work and take care of there own families. You want the government to take care of you, MOVE TO NORTH KOREA. The real America is gone.Damn peopleNo American should have to support any other American who doesn't want to work. For those that want to work and are having a hard time,should get help. But for the majority that sit complain and whine,screw drink and sleep u r on ur own.

May 19, 2012 at 6:24 am |
  9. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

MAJORITY ALWAYS WINS is a loser in every way.

September 11, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Debate him or her on the issues then instead of resorting to simple name calling. It makes you look beaten.

September 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bite me, Markie.

September 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You can kiss my azz, Mark. I've already pointed out the reasons the idiot is wrong. Shut up and butt out if you can't be bothered to read posts.

September 12, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Wow, ...a “Bite me” and a “kiss my buttocks” with a “butt out” closing.

Poor Tommy..... multiple post with tantrum laced responses. 🙁

I am sorry Tommy that you are getting roughed up. I recommend getting a “cup” and maybe some of those soccer shin guards.... You are at the big boys field now and you gotta learn to stop crying and show us your skills … and name calling is not a skill, its minor leagues.

Sigh …. I do not think you “look” beaten.... I see that you were beaten. 🙂

September 13, 2011 at 4:00 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, sure. Tell me all about "ivory league" schools, you schmuck.

Really, how is anyone that ignorant?

September 13, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  10. kimsland

Obama, throw out your family bible. Stop your wasted prayers.
    If you really want to have faith, then start to believe in yourself and the people around you.

To publicly go around and promote these stories of a man who others stated he walked on water and turned water into wine (over 2000 years ago, and who preached in his Arabicic country) and an entire range of ludicrousness that the 'bible' promotes, is purely insane.

Obama, think about it a little, why would christianity be correct when other countries follow totally different religions?
    You are wrong to promote this and you should denounce religion to yourself and your country.

September 11, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Redneck louie

yous one of uson you talk about them arabicic country just like ma ma done

September 11, 2011 at 5:45 pm |
    • kimsland

Where Jesus was born and preached.

Bethlehem located in Israel near the Dead Sea.
      Israel is stated as one of the most unsafe countries of the world. It has a very hot dry climate.
      Israel is not safe for children either with regular child abductions and generally is a is dangerous and volatile community usually associated with terrorists.
      The population of Israel consists of 75% Jewish, 20% Arab and a tiny amount of 'other' Christianity is NOT welcomed here. There are some sources stating that the Atheist population there is about 30%, but due to laws and threats these people are silenced.
      Israel's religious courts exercise jurisdiction over all citizens and residents of Israel in cases of marriage, divorce, child custody and child support.
      It is acceptable for a man to beat his wife in Israel, this is also written in the Qur'an and accepted as normal behavior.
      Generally Israel is barbaric, dangerous, and pathetic.

And Christians follow this man called Jesus? You'd have to be mad.

September 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

So the same guy that was born to a broken home, raised by his grandparents, graduated from an ivory league school, became a professor at a ivory league school, became a lawyer, went from holding local elected office to become the first African American president, married a woman, had two kids ....... And this type of person.... A lawyer/ president..... Needs to have you say he needs to have Faith in himself? ..... Are you serious? One of the most confident persons on the planet you do not think he has faith in himself ......

It is to laugh.

September 11, 2011 at 9:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

An "ivory league school"??? Ahahhahhhahhaha. OMG. I haven't laughed this hard all day. You're a moron.

September 12, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Tom Piper's Son

My son's life is so damn miserable that it's quite rare that he had a good laugh. Aside from mocking and name calling, making fun and ridicules on other people's mistake is his means to alleviate the pains he gone through. His life is that so miserable that he became an atheist, that since atheist are miserable people, that's the only way to gain company.

Thank You for making him laugh Marky. My heart jumps seeing him having a good laugh. It been quite a long time since then, he was like 3-yr old that time but until now he speak, act and behave like one.

September 13, 2011 at 8:06 am |
    • David Johnson

@kimsland

I hope Obama waits until his second term to denounce religion.

Cheers!

September 13, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  11. Free

I just saw a little story about the generosity and comfort that was given by the people of Newfoundland, Canada on 9/11. When thousands of airline passengers found their airliners rerouted there on that day the people there went to the airports and took those passengers into their own homes, feeding and providing for their other needs, and never once have they asked for any compensation or recognition for doing that. I think that they represent the best of human nature. I only wish that more people could be like them.

September 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  12. Awkward Situations

OT. Has anybody noticed how sh_itty the Flight 93 Memorial looks?! I've been watching the news this morning and the WTC Memorial looks absolutely breathtaking and amazing, Pentagon Memorial looks alright, Flight 93 Memorial looks so dam_n horrible it doesn't even look like a memorial. Even the font used for the names etched into stone looks shi_tty! What the hell were they thinking?

September 11, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

Some folks have taken pictures from air and I guess are claiming it looks like a Islamic cresent and that the ends point to Mecca.

I declare soon every archetict firm will need a conspiracy department to give final approval of any design.

Seriously though, I heard on the news that it was supposed to be breath taking and inspiring. From the few pictures I have seen I disagree as well. Maybe not with the same words that you stated. Maybe it is because of the budget of a small country town vs the budget of New York.

Does anyone know if the benches memorial at the pentagon is acessable for non military visitors?

September 11, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Mark from Middle River: Their budget was over $60 million so I'm sure they have enough money to make a nice memorial. I don't really understand how it would inspire somebody to think about how heroic those passengers were on that plane. It looks like the architect missed the point entirely.

The benches at the pentagon are for everybody.. anyone can access the site.

September 12, 2011 at 4:21 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

I do not think it is fully done yet. There are features that they say are at or in the Flight 93 memorial, but I just see drawings. The "Tower of Voices" drawing looks pretty awesome.... maybe, if it is finished, we will see more actual pictures.

September 12, 2011 at 6:00 am |
  13. MAJORITY always WINS

Thank You Mr. President for telling the whole world that you really are a Christian and America is a Christian nation.

September 11, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • MAJORITY always WINS

Secularists belongs to minority, thus, they could never win here in America.

They should go back to Russia and China.

September 11, 2011 at 9:44 am |
    • Matt

The founding fathers were uncomfortable with the "majority always winning". They created 6 year term limits for senators, the electoral college, and the Supreme court to decouple the government from will of the majority. Also, just because the majority of people are Christian does not mean that that majority is as intolerant of other faiths as you are.

You seemed to completely whiff on the President's point. For those who chose to pray, today should be a day of prayer. For those who do not chose to pray, today is a day of remembrance. The President was calling on all Americans to ignore their differences for one day and come together to honor those who lost their lives ten years ago.

September 11, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

There is no truth in your screen name, majority, and as you've been told, the founding fathers had the wisdom to see to it that people like you don't get to deny others the rights ALL should enjoy.

Go back to school, and try to get your diploma this time.

September 11, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Chucky McLovin

@Majority always Wins I'm an atheist and I've never been in Russia or China. It seems you're a nefarious fascist that wants to impose your delusional and destructive religion on others. I likely will vote for Obama in 2012 but it really vexes me when he talks about prayer. Prayer doesn't work and god is imaginary.

September 11, 2011 at 1:05 pm |
    • Fred1

So, if the majority always wins:

Explain how the minority atheists got mandatory prayer tossed out of public schools?

Explain to me how the civil rights movement of the ‘60s managed to win so much for the blacks of that time? The blacks were not the majority?

Explain how Israel survives and wins since it is the minority in the middle east?

September 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
    • herbert juarez

@fred1
      The squeeky wheel gets the grease
      One obnoxious "atheist"did an end run around the will of the people using the supreme court
      The majority opinion was on the side of right, for civil rights,it does happen occasionally
      Israel is the apple of Gods eye ,God is with them.

September 11, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • aeg

AMEN, AMEN..We'll let the power of prayers strengthen all of us and wipe away wickedness. God Bless Us all.

September 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Juarez the Dolt, it's "squeaky", ya moron.

September 11, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • AGuest9

Some of founding fathers were afraid of religious fanatics, as well. That's why Franklin, Jefferson and Paine were Deists.

September 11, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

What state did Paine sign for?

Also I do not believe that the fear of religious fanatics is that true. If anything they were more afraid of government controlling the church. Also one of your Deist was also a known Deacon in his church. 🙂

September 11, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Peace2All

@MAJORITY always WINS

Please provide links as to where he stated this.

Peace...

September 12, 2011 at 2:22 am |
    • free

MAJORITY always WINS
      The nation was set up so that majority, popular movements would not turn into dictatorships. Ochlocracy, or 'mob rule', is also a concern. Remember the French Revolution?

September 12, 2011 at 8:06 am |
    • herbert juarez

Thanks tom tom tom tom,speech impediment improving?God bless

September 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • HotAirAce

It's always fascinated me how so many Americans put so much faith in the so-called Founding Fathers, and in the extreme case of The Teabaggers, seem to want to revert to back to the way things were when they were alive. Very clearly they were an outstanding group of men, especially for their time, but they were just men and did not get everything exactly right. I often think that their greatest contribution was a way to amend the consti.tuition, recognizing that as good as it was, it was not perfect. With respect to their faiths, I don't think the non-believers were being completely honest. In those days, everyone was expected to believe in god and speaking the truth (there probably are no gods) could easily cause you major problems.

September 12, 2011 at 9:16 pm |
    • AGuest9

If it wasn't for "Common Sense", stirring people up, there could have very well been no one signing any declaration. Apparently, you know as much American history as you know religion.

September 12, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • AGuest9

Franklin held a pew in the Presbyterian church in Philadelphia for five weeks. He also was raised Calvinist, however, published his Dissertation, a pamphlet in London in 1726, and expressed ideas that were viewed as atheist at the time. Franklin's last letters to Ezra Stiles at Harvard showed that at the end, he was still a deist, and was close enough to the end that he was no longer concerned.

September 12, 2011 at 11:11 pm |
    • MomOf3

@MAJORITY always WINS

What's right isn't always popular, what's popular isn't always right!

September 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  14. Rainer Braendlein

I guess Islam is a dangerous enemy of mankind, which was proved by 9/11, but not the most dangerous one.

One small example:

We usually more acknowledge people, which have made theirs career, than people doing a simple job. We would treat a doctor more respectfully than a cleaner. We would acknowledge a man arriving with a big Mercedes more than a man arriving with a bicycle. We would prefer someone who wears a nice suit to someone who wears cheap clothing.

It is understandable, when we have such thoughts, but they are totally wrong.

First, it is no worth to be well educated, rich or well dressed in itself. Secondly, we do not know, why someone is bad educated, poor or bad dressed (maybe he is not responsible for his state, but suffered any misfortune). Thirdly, it is not ethically bad, when someone is bad educated, poor or bad dressed. He still a human being, which is loved by God.

When we condemn a poor man, we act against God, who loves everybody (caution: don't get me wrong. I don't say someone should aspire after poverty. Never! Poverty is no desireable state).

In a word: We must leave thinking in terms of status. This will destroy our societies. Finally the most capable will rule and desp-ise the ordinary, modest or poor people. This is the pure capitalism.

From the Christian stance is it like this: Everybody has certain gifts or talents, which he must discover. One is a born butcher, one is a born cleaner, one is a born carpenter, one is a born tailor, one is an born engineer, one is a born doctor, one is a born professor, one is a born politician, etc.. Everybody has gift, which he can use, to serve society.

It is not about to make one's career, but serving the society with one's gift and manpower. Someone doing his job well, may make his career, but he should not be greedy for making career. Main thing he does his job well.

Wrong atti-tudes: Today we tell the youth they should try to make career. That is wrong. Of course it is good, when a young man wants to prove his capabilities, but it is dangerous, when he wants to get to the top at any rate. The base instincts of man are greed for honour, power and riches. This is actually self-adoration or selfishness. Satan was the first being, which harboured such thoughts and we know that he experienced a big fall.

Let us serve each others with our gifts and society will work again. No hierarchy, but brotherhood. No bossiness, but teamwork.

Everybody, doing his job well, is a king, both the cleaner and the professor. Main thing, well done. Just do your job well. What job you do, actually doesn't matter.

September 11, 2011 at 8:34 am |
    • MAJORITY always WINS

Securalists has no place in America. They should go back to China and Russia.

September 11, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Fred1

So tell me how does Sweden one of the most secular countries in the world do so well? God asleep at the switch again?

September 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Rainer Braendlein

" The most dangerous enemy of mankind is secularism. The more we become secular (godless, profane), the more we will lose the protection of the Almighty. The secular societies destroy themselves by following their base instincts. "

Now, Rainer... that's just absolute nonsense. You are 'inferring' that there is a God, and without God's help... people that are 'secular' will only destroy themselves and follow their 'base instincts.'

This is ridiculous, highly generalized, and unproven rhetoric.

So... you have been demonizing all the Muslims for the last several months now.

Now... it is the atheists, agnostics, secularists, etc... eh...? So, apparently, you are now painting the secularists as 'targets' for concern. Way to stir up the brethren into believing this ridiculous notion.

I guess ya' got to have an enemy that the 'devil' is working his evilness through, yes...?

Oh... Rainer, what are we going to do with you...?

Regards,

Peace...

One small example:

It is understandable, when we have such thoughts, but they are totally wrong.

September 12, 2011 at 3:14 am |
    • Peace2All

@Rainer

**Apologies** I am way too tired... sorry that I didn't delete the rest of your posting in mine. It was an accident.

Good night...

Peace...

September 12, 2011 at 3:16 am |
  15. Realty

9/11 was horrific but never forget the following:

The Twenty (or so) Worst Things People Have Done to Each Other:
    From: http://necrometrics.com/warstatz.htm#u (required reading)

The Muslim Conquest of India

Rank <<<Death Toll <Cause <<Centuries<<<Religions/Groups involved*

1. 63 million Second World War 20C (Christians et al and Communists/atheists vs. Christians et al, Nazi-Pagan and "Shintoists")

2. 40 million Mao Zedong (mostly famine) 20C (Communism/Atheism)

3. 40 million Genghis Khan 13C (Shamanism or Tengriism)

4. 27 million British India (mostly famine) 19C (Anglican)

5. 25 million Fall of the Ming Dynasty 17C (Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Chinese folk religion)

6. 20 million Taiping Rebellion 19C ( Confucianism, Buddhism and Chinese folk religion vs. a form of Christianity)

7. 20 million Joseph Stalin 20C (Communism/Ahteism)

8. 19 million Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C (Islam)

9. 17 million Timur Lenk 14C-15C

10. 16 million Atlantic Slave Trade 15C-19C (Christianity)

11. 15 million First World War 20C (Christians vs. Christians)

12. 15 million Conquest of the Americas 15C-19C (Christians vs. Pagans)

13. 13 million Muslim Conquest of India 11C-18C

14. 10 million An Lushan Revolt 8C

15. 10 million Xin Dynasty 1C

16. 9 million Russian Civil War 20C (Christians vs Communists/Atheists)

17. 8 million Fall of Rome 5C (Pagans vs. Pagans)

18. 8 million Congo Free State 19C-20C (Christians)

19. 7½ million Thirty Years War 17C (Christians vs Christians)

20. 7½ million Fall of the Yuan Dynasty 14C

September 11, 2011 at 8:19 am |
    • GeorgeinNY

Nice SPAM....
      Most violence in the world right now is Muslim based. Just read the news.

September 11, 2011 at 8:26 am |
    • JF

@ GeorgeinNY

Another way to put, most violence in the world at any time has been religion based. Just read history. They're all bad.

September 11, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • Chucky McLovin

@"Reality" You need to be intellectually honest and leave atheism out of these statistics. Nobody was killed in the name of atheism.

September 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Chucky And WW1 and WW2 weren't waged in the name of Christianity, either. The African slave trade wasn't done in the name of Islam or Christianity, but it was done BY Muslims and Christians. Everyone's gotta own up. THAT is intellectually honest.

September 11, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Reality

Chucky,

You noted:

"Nobody was killed in the name of atheism." The column heading reads "Religions/Groups Involved".

Finishing the comments of Matthew White :http://necrometrics.com/warstatz.htm#u

*:" Is religion responsible for more violent deaths than any other cause?

A: No, of course not – unless you define religion so broadly as to be meaningless. Just take the four deadliest events of the 20th Century – Two World Wars, Red China and the Soviet Union – no religious motivation there, unless you consider every belief system to be a religion."

Q: So, what you're saying is that religion has never killed anyone.

A: Arrgh... You all-or-nothing people drive me crazy. There are many doc-umented examples where members of one religion try to exterminate the members of another religion. Causation is always complex, but if the only difference between two warring groups is religion, then that certainly sounds like a religious conflict to me. Is it the number one cause of mass homicide in human history? No. Of the 22 worst episodes of mass killing, maybe four were primarily religious. Is that a lot? Well, it's more than the number of wars fought over soccer, or s-ex (The Trojan and Sabine Wars don't even make the list.), but less than the number fought over land, money, glory or prestige.

In my Index, I list 41 religious conflicts compared with 27 oppressions under "Communism", 24 under Colonialism, 2 under "Railroads" and 2 under "Scapegoats". Make of that what you will."

Finishing the comments from

September 11, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
    • Fred1

@Reality:
      Most atheist dictators were actually religious – Marx, Lenin and Trotsky were Jews. Hitler, Mussolini and Franco were catholic. Stalin was eastern orthodox Christian

September 11, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Reality

"The allegation is sometimes made that Hitler was a Catholic – a Christian until the day he died. This claim is based upon the fact that Hitler was born and raised in a Catholic family.

However, as an adult, Hitler specifically rejected the Catholic Church, as well as Christianity in general. He described himself as "a complete pagan".

The book Hitler's Secret Conversations: 1941-1944, published by Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc. (1953), contains definitive proof of Hitler's real views. The book was published in Britain under the t-itle, Hitler's Table Talk: 1941-1944, which ti-tle was used for the Oxford University Press paperback edition in the United States.

Some excerpts:

All of these are quotes from Adolf Hitler:

Night of 11th-12th July, 1941:
      "National Socialism and religion cannot exist together.... The heaviest blow that ever struck humanity was the coming of Christianity. Bolshevism is Christianity's illegitimate child. Both are inventions of the Jew. The deliberate lie in the matter of religion was introduced into the world by Christianity.... Let it not be said that Christianity brought man the life of the soul, for that evolution was in the natural order of things. (p 6 & 7) "

10th October, 1941, midday:

"Christianity is a rebellion against natural law, a protest against nature. Taken to its logical extreme, Christianity would mean the systematic cultivation of the human failure. (p 43)"

September 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
  16. Reality

As noted on p. 1:

9/11 was horrific but never forget the following:

The Twenty (or so) Worst Things People Have Done to Each Other:
    From: http://necrometrics.com/warstatz.htm#u (required reading)

The Muslim Conquest of India

Rank <<<Death Toll <Cause <<Centuries<<<Religions/Groups involved*

2. 40 million Mao Zedong (mostly famine) 20C (Communism)

3. 40 million Genghis Khan 13C (Shamanism or Tengriism)

4. 27 million British India (mostly famine) 19C (Anglican)

7. 20 million Joseph Stalin 20C (Communism)

8. 19 million Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C (Islam)

9. 17 million Timur Lenk 14C-15C

10. 16 million Atlantic Slave Trade 15C-19C (Christianity)

11. 15 million First World War 20C (Christians vs. Christians)

12. 15 million Conquest of the Americas 15C-19C (Christians vs. Pagans)

13. 13 million Muslim Conquest of India 11C-18C

14. 10 million An Lushan Revolt 8C

15. 10 million Xin Dynasty 1C

16. 9 million Russian Civil War 20C (Christians vs Communists)

17. 8 million Fall of Rome 5C (Pagans vs. Pagans)

18. 8 million Congo Free State 19C-20C (Christians)

19. 7½ million Thirty Years War 17C (Christians vs Christians)

20. 7½ million Fall of the Yuan Dynasty 14C

September 11, 2011 at 8:07 am |
    • GeorgeinNY

Most violence in the world right now is Muslim based. Just read the news.

September 11, 2011 at 8:12 am |
    • Reality

Our War on Terror and Aggression:

An update (or how we are spending or how we have spent the USA taxpayers’ money to eliminate global terror and aggression)

The terror and aggression via a Partial and Recent Body Count

And the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,483 and 925 in non combat roles. 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) - Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

Continued below:
      Other elements of our War on Terror and Aggression:

-Operation Iraqi Freedom- The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US Troops killed in action, 3,481 and 924 died in non-combat, 99,901 – 109,143 Iraqi civilians killed as of 3/3/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

– Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan: US troops 1,141 killed in action, 242 killed in non-combat situations as of 03/03/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror,

– Sa-dd-am, his sons and major he-nchmen have been deleted. Sa-dd-am's bravado about WMD was one of his major mistakes. Kuwait was saved.

– Iran is being been contained. (beside containing the Sunni-Shiite civil war in Baghdad, that is the main reason we are in Iraq. And yes, essential oil continues to flow from the region.)

– North Korea is still u-ncivil but is contained.

– Northern Ireland is finally at peace.

– The Jews and Palestinians are being separated by walls. Hopefully the walls will follow the 1948 UN accords. Unfortunately the Annapolis Peace Conference was not successful. And unfortunately the recent events in Gaza has put this situation back to “squ-are one”. And this significant stupidity is driven by the mythical foundations of both religions!!!

– – Fa-na–tical Islam has basically been contained to the Middle East but a wall between India and Pakistan would be a plus for world peace. Ditto for a wall between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

– Timothy McVeigh was exe-cuted. Terry Nichols escaped the death penalty twice because of deadlocked juries. He was sentenced to 161 consecutive life terms without the possibility of parole,[3][7] and is incarcerated in ADX Florence, a super maximum security prison near Florence, Colorado. He shares a cellblock that is commonly referred to as "Bombers Row" with Ramzi Yousef and Ted Kaczynski

– Eric Ru-dolph is spending three life terms in pri-son with no par-ole.

– Jim Jones, David Koresh, Kaczynski, the "nuns" from Rwanda, and the KKK were all dealt with and either eliminated themselves or are being punished.

– Islamic Sudan, Dar-fur and So-malia are still terror hot spots.
      – The terror and tor-ture of Muslims in Bosnia, Kosovo and Kuwait were ended by the proper application of the military forces of the USA and her freedom-loving friends. Ra-dovan Karadzic was finally captured on 7/23/08 and is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violations of the law of war – charges related to the 1992-1995 civil war that followed Bosnia-Herzegovina's secession from Yugoslavia.

The capture of Ratko Mladić: (Serbian Cyrillic: Ратко Младић, pronounced [râtkɔ mlǎːditɕ], born 12 March 1943[1][2]) is an accused war criminal and a former Bosnian Serb military leader. On May 31, 2011, Mladić was extradited to The Hague, where he was processed at the detention center that holds suspects for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY).[3] His trial began on 3 June 2011.

– the bloody terror brought about by the Ja-panese, Na-zis and Co-mmunists was with great difficulty eliminated by the good guys.

– Bin Laden was executed for crimes against humanity on May 1, 2011

September 11, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  17. GeorgeinNY

Our faux president wants us to pray to a faux god (allah) and follow a faux prophet (muhammed).

September 11, 2011 at 8:02 am |
    • herbert juarez

rupert murdock isn't president.

September 11, 2011 at 8:12 am |
    • John Richardson

Good one, Herbert!

September 11, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Chucky McLovin

@GeorgeinNY Zombie Jesus is just as imaginary as Allah. Get a clue.

September 11, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Neither are you, herbie.

September 11, 2011 at 7:07 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Can you be sure of that tom?

September 12, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Reality

Chucky,

From Professors Crossan and Watts' book, Who is Jesus.

"That Jesus was crucified under Pontius Pilate, as the Creed states, is as certain as anything historical can ever be.

“ The Jewish historian, Josephus and the pagan historian Tacitus both agree that Jesus was executed by order of the Roman governor of Judea. And is very hard to imagine that Jesus' followers would have invented such a story unless it indeed happened.

“While the brute fact that of Jesus' death by crucifixion is historically certain, however, those detailed narratives in our present gospels are much more problematic. "

“My best historical reconstruction would be something like this. Jesus was arrested during the Passover festival, most likely in response to his action in the Temple. Those who were closest to him ran away for their own safety.

I do not presume that there were any high-level confrontations between Caiaphas and Pilate and Herod Antipas either about Jesus or with Jesus. No doubt they would have agreed before the festival that fast action was to be taken against any disturbance and that a few examples by crucifixion might be especially useful at the outset. And I doubt very much if Jewish police or Roman soldiers needed to go too far up the chain of command in handling a Galilean peasant like Jesus. It is hard for us to imagine the casual brutality with which Jesus was probably taken and executed. All those "last week" details in our gospels, as distinct from the brute facts just mentioned, are prophecy turned into history, rather than history remembered."

See also Professor Crossan's reviews of the existence of Jesus in his other books especially, The Historical Jesus and also Excavating Jesus (with Professor Jonathan Reed doing the archeology discussion) .

Other NT exegetes to include members of the Jesus Seminar have published similar books with appropriate supporting references.

Part of Crossan's The Historical Jesus has been published online at books.google.com/books.

There is also a search engine for this book on the left hand side of the opening page. e.g. Search Josephus

See also Wikipedia's review on the historical Jesus to include the Tacitus' reference to the crucifixion of Jesus.

From ask.com,

"One of the greatest historians of ancient Rome, Cornelius Tacitus is a primary source for much of what is known about life the first and second centuries after the life of Jesus. His most famous works, Histories and Annals, exist in fragmentary form, though many of his earlier writings were lost to time. Tacitus is known for being generally reliable (if somewhat biased toward what he saw as Roman immorality) and for having a uniquely direct (if not blunt) writing style.

Then there are these scriptural references:

Crucifixion of Jesus:(1) 1 Cor 15:3b; (2a) Gos. Pet. 4:10-5:16,18-20; 6:22; (2b) Mark 15:22-38 = Matt 27:33-51a = Luke 23:32-46; (2c) John 19:17b-25a,28-36; (3) Barn. 7:3-5; (4a) 1 Clem. 16:3-4 (=Isaiah 53:1-12); (4b) 1 Clem. 16.15-16 (=Psalm 22:6-8); (5a) Ign. Mag. 11; (5b) Ign. Trall. 9:1b; (5c) Ign. Smyrn. 1.2.- (read them all at wiki.faithfutures. Crucifixion org/index.php/005_Crucifixion_Of_Jesus )

Added suggested readings:

o 1. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.
      2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
      – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–
      30-60 CE Passion Narrative
      100-150 Preaching of Peter
      100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
      100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
      100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
      100-160 2 Peter

3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
      – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
      4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
      5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
      8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
      joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
      9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.
      10. 7. The Gnostic Jesus
      (Part One in a Two-Part Series on Ancient and Modern Gnosticism)
      by Douglas Groothuis: equip.org/free/DG040-1.htm

September 13, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  18. Sunday

May there be millions of Prayers for Peace in Churches all around the Globe!
    May there be millions of acts of kindness and postive energy released today!
    May all those that are hurting today find their comfort and solace in the Almighty God!
    May Hatred be trumped with 'Love'

O God please forgive us and grant us Peace and wisdom in these times

September 11, 2011 at 7:25 am |
    • captain america

It is folks like you that have made America the most wonderful nation the earth has ever had!One nation under God!

September 11, 2011 at 7:38 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Helping hands are far better than lips that pray.

The whole one nation under god did not exist in USA until 1954...it is a secular nation.

September 11, 2011 at 8:46 am |
    • Fact revealed

America has been and always been under God.

September 11, 2011 at 9:19 am |
    • John Richardson

So the Christian triumphalists decide to come out of the woodwork on the morning of 9/11 to sow the seeds of discord. How typical. They stole Christmas and Easter from the pagans. It's just what they do.

September 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Fred1

Lovely sentiment; but, since the millions of prayer for peace from Christians over the last 2000 years haven’t persuaded god to come across with the goods, I don’t think the next million will either. Have you noticed his behavior is exactly what you would expect if he didn’t exits?

September 11, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  19. MAJORITY always WINS

Yes, we should remember the victims of such atrocity and pray for the eternal rest of their souls.

Culprits are now paying for their crimes and justice is contiually being served.

KUDOS! to all brave soldiers who sacrificed so that justice maybe served and criminals must pay.

KUDOS! to our Chistian President likewise to our Theistic Government.

KUDOS! to the majority and the masses.

September 11, 2011 at 4:50 am |
    • John Richardson

So the fact that the Shiite majority in Iran oppresses other religions is cool with you since it's all about majority rule?

Oh, and out government is not theistic. If that's what you want, consider the just mentioned Iran.

September 11, 2011 at 5:05 am |
    • Skep

Another good troll here. Obvious insanity usually evokes some sort of response. It could all be made up and no one could tell the difference. That's the big shortcoming for any comment section on the internet. Random insanity and faked insanity.
      They can appear identical to each other. Just like believers and fake believers. There's no way to tell them apart. Ha.

September 11, 2011 at 5:27 am |
    • Jane Ricasdaughter

@John

Are you saying Iran is a Democratic Country already? Just when?

C'mon John, you're smarter than that.

September 11, 2011 at 6:38 am |
    • MAJORITY always WINS

@John

No, I never go to Iran or any country that doesn't respect (the voice of Majority)my voice. I never stand even a single chance there. That's why I'm here and stays right here.

LONG LIVE AMERICA!

September 11, 2011 at 6:56 am |
    • captain america

I am with you and all for you,you are an American Icon!

September 11, 2011 at 7:33 am |
    • captain america

In God we trust!

September 11, 2011 at 7:39 am |
    • John Richardson

@Jane Iran has an elected Parliament and President, though the last presidential elections may have been a sham. In that sense, they have a democracy. But it is a democracy not constrained by the ANTI-majoritarian principles enshrined in the const-tution and bill of rights that protect the rights of the minority from the tyranny of the majority, but by a counsel of religious oligarchs who are there to ensure that the country remains theistic and specifically that the religion of the majority defines what is and is not allowed. This is precisely the sort of system the anti-consti-tutional theists who want to declare the US a Christian nation seem to aspire to.

September 11, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Majority So instead of helping the Christians acquire and retain their freedom of belief in conscience in countries with non-Christian majorities, you want to pound your chest and cheer for your majority to crush the rights of others in the US. You are both a creep and a coward. Those two things often go together, of course.

September 11, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
    • John Richardson

Oh, and by the way, the majority lost in 2002. It's happens from time to time in countries with Parliamentary systems as well, as who takes over the government depends on how many representatives of a given party are elected, not on the aggregate vote total of the different parties.

September 11, 2011 at 12:32 pm |
    • Chucky McLovin

Theism is fascism and both are evil. You people take a big old dump on the 1st amendment and act like it's something to be proud of. It's not. It's evil and contemptible just like the bible.

September 11, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"is cool with you since it’s all about majority rule"

John, I guess I would be posting messages from the cotton fields in his book.

September 11, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Sue

@MAJORITY always WINS
      If we have a theistic government then why did we ever end slavery?

September 12, 2011 at 8:17 am |
  20. pekStroll

@ Skep..

And so are you, OBVIOUSLY...

September 11, 2011 at 4:28 am |
    • Skep

No, I was responding to the trolls. They were trolling me quite well. Why? You jealous? lol

September 11, 2011 at 5:24 am |
    • pekStroll

Nope, I wasn't jealous, and nobody else trolling you except me.

You had been seeing me on comments that bears thought that don't conform with yours; you had evoked me every time you see posters that post comments that you don't agree with. THANK YOU Skep, for creating me.

September 11, 2011 at 6:47 am |