home
RSS
More than 1,000 turn out for multifaith 9/11 event
Sheikh Hamza Yusuf Hanson addressed a crowd at the 9/11 Unity Walk.
September 12th, 2011

More than 1,000 turn out for multifaith 9/11 event

By Mary Grace Lucas, CNN

Washington (CNN) - More than 1,000 people of various faiths gathered Sunday for a unique religious "open house" event as a way to commemorate 9/11 and to get to know each other's faiths.

The 9/11 Unity Walk, now in its seventh year, drew diverse participants from across the United States to engage with each other at 13 different houses of worship along Washington's Embassy Row.

The walk began with a symbolic Muslim call to prayer from the podium in the Washington Hebrew Congregation temple and included one of America's most prominent Muslims, Sheikh Hamza Yusuf Hanson, as a featured speaker. An American-born Muslim, Yusuf helped co-found the Zaytuna College in Berkeley, California, and is a leader in the Muslim intellectual community.

Speaking to CNN before the event, Yusuf talked of lessons learned in the decade since September 11, 2001.

Read the full story here.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: 9/11

« Previous entry
  1. Alfonzo Muchanzo

Why is it that atheists, generally speaking, are so angry? Ofcourse not all of them are, but it's clear from the people I know in my life (many of whom are also friends) and reading many of these comments, that atheists have a strong hatred towards religious people, particularly Christians.

I just don't get it, I may disagree with you all, but I certainly don't have hatred and animosity directed at you.

September 12, 2011 at 4:51 pm |
    • A Theist

I think lots of PEOPLE are angry, everywhere and every type.

September 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Laughing

I see a couple of reasons.

One is to illicit a response either because they're trolls or because they want to start a debate and the best way to get noticed and get someone to start debating you is to make an obviously overgeneralization.

The other reason is because when you are face to face with a believer (or in most cases, many believers) it's hard to voice your opinion. On the faceless internet its a lot easier to express your rage and offend the faceless masses without consequence.

September 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Quack

What quacks like a Duck is not always a Duck it might be the Goose...

there are muslim and other trolls taking the garb of an Athiest as well.

September 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

I hate religion. I feel sorry for the people still under the vice grip of religion.

The problem with you religious folks is that you think an attack on your religion is a personal attack against you.

September 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@A Theist – I agree, even many religious people are. I do however tend to notice it more so with atheists and was just wondering if there was a correlation.

September 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • A Theist

It sounds like religion would be the short fuse for most Atheists. Bad drivers are mine–though luckily I can still keep my tongue in check :P. Actually, bad drivers might just be a universal short fuse, except to the bad driver of course–then again, everyone ELSE is a bad driver to them. And here we reach the human predicament of distaste for another's "driving habits"–especially when they can be perceived as dangerous ;).

September 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Bill/Fl

September 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Bill/Fl

Easy answer. Athiest hate GOD, and we who believe are easy tergets they like to bully.

But, we keep loving them. Only GOD can change their hearts.

We share the GOOD NEWS, even if they want to live in denial of the truth.

GOD is never surprised by the vile hatred these people commenting have towards us. So, we shouldn't either.

We know the truth and have been set free. They are in bondaged. They believe the lies their father tells them.

September 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Reality

Putting things in proper perspective for the new members of the blog:

“John Hick, a noted British philosopher of religion, estimates that 95 percent of the people of the world owe their religious affiliation to an accident (the randomness) of birth. The faith of the vast majority of believers depends upon where they were born and when. Those born in Saudi Arabia will almost certainly be Moslems, and those born and raised in India will for the most part be Hindus. Nevertheless, the religion of millions of people can sometimes change abruptly in the face of major political and social upheavals. In the middle of the sixth century ce, virtually all the people of the Near East and Northern Africa, including Turkey, Syria, Iraq, and Egypt were Christian. By the end of the following century, the people in these lands were largely Moslem, as a result of the militant spread of Islam.

The Situation Today
      Barring military conquest, conversion to a faith other than that of one’s birth is rare. Some Jews, Moslems, and Hindus do convert to Christianity, but not often. Similarly, it is not common for Christians to become Moslems or Jews. Most people are satisfied that their own faith is the true one or at least good enough to satisfy their religious and emotional needs. Had St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas been born in Mecca at the start of the present century, the chances are that they would not have been Christians but loyal followers of the prophet Mohammed. “ J. Somerville

It is very disturbing that religious narrow- mindedness, intolerance, violence and hatred continues unabated due to randomness of birth. Maybe, just maybe if this fact would be published on the first page of every newspaper every day, that we would finally realize the significant stupidity of all religions.

September 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Many self-declared non-religious devotees who claim to be of atheism's censorships rally each other together and run in packs kinda like the wolves here in Belief Blog. They love to pick upon the less fortunate of delinquent or less tutored minds giving them a false sense of power over those they don't even personally know. The tranquility and peace of mind is not for such and they are attuned to downplaying those who are still yet unskilled in the art of writing not to say I am! 🙂

I am the Alpha and the Omega and the rest is but excess baggage to be sold as dead weight when Christ returns and redeems what He and His servents can so reclaim in the Cosmos of atomic fractals before the rest is incinerated.

September 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Rollo

(rolls eyes)

September 12, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • rsm

Atheists aren't angry. It's just that we have grown up while so many decide to be born again. When an adult is stern, a child will perceive it as anger, but really the adult is just telling the child something that is for its own good.

The faithful are children, and refuse to grow up. That is not so much a cause of anger as it is a cause of sadness.

I feel sorry for you.

September 13, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  2. Senior Satan and the Satanettes

A Thiest

Don't believe Will, he is actually a Muslim with a fourth grade education.

He just passed Ramadan 101 after the third try

September 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Zoroastor

A Thiest

Billy graduated 1100 years before Christ was born.

I have the original papyrus to prove it.

September 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  3. TruthPrevails

An excellent explanation of Atheists:

September 12, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
    • Normon

Truth Prevails, but not on its own.

September 12, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
  4. Typical Atheist

I claim to be all knowing, but in actuality I am really insecure in my beliefs and like to attack those with whom I dont agree with. I do this because i have no other comeback other than to profess religion as the evils of everything, science "all-knowing," and myself as more intelligent.

I don't need to provide proof for anything, for whatever I think, is the truth and nobody can change my mind, but ofcourse I'm more open minded than every believer.

September 12, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Laughing

Good one, you hit the nail right on the head of the believer who doesn't understand what an atheist tries to say and so (foolishly) decises that they have nothing of value to say because they disagree with you.

September 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm |

SO childish.

It seems Christians are so easily persuaded to present themselves as anything but what they truly are.

Of ALL the faiths, yours is the silliest. Zombies, cannibalisim rituals, the living dead, flesh to bread and drinking blood, and Palestinian Virgins!.

Then you wrap yourselves in the Bible to hide from modernity and logic.

To me, all Gods are silly, but Jesus is the Barney the Purple Dinosaur of Gods, with followers with an intellect of a six year old.

September 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

Typical Atheists don't worry about a perverted god watching them in the bathroom or doing naughty things in bed.

September 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • J.W

I am half-Christian and Half coolest dude on the planet.

September 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Typical Atheist

Laughing – Nice try (foolishly) claiming that the opposite is true when in reality it's not. Don't be upset because you got called out and your comeback essentially was: "No I'm not, but you are!" LMAO.

September 12, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
    • A Theist

@Will, No offense, but didn't you say you didn't finish High school? It just sounds a little strange that you're writing off all Christians (including Newton and other intellectuals) as having the intellect of a six year old...

September 12, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Peace2All

@J.W

" I am half-Christian and Half coolest dude on the planet. "

I agree, with you -J.W.... You are IMHO a very 'cool' dude. 😀

Peace...

September 12, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
    • Laughing

Well considering NO atheist thinks that he or she is all-knowing and never claims to be (unlike our believer counterparts here). I am actually very secure in my beliefs.

You ask for a comeback, but to what exactly? Also, sorry that atheists say they are more intelligent. When you talk to a person that believes theres a magical being with super powers and then reasons how we never see any of these amazing powers in use at all, it's sort of hard to take them seriously and when they devote their life to a made up field instead of say, something contructive, yes I consider myself smarter than the average believer out there. I'm not the smartest and I know there are many many smart people out there who believe in god, but I know with some certainty that I'm pretty far ahead of most.

There's also the evidence part. If you don't like the fossils, rocks, core samples, telescopic images and a number of other exhibits of evidence presented, then thats on you pal, but scientists give you the tools to see, to say "I have no evidence and you'll never change my mind because I'm grounded in my belief "is when I will use the "no I'm not, that's you". Then again, just by your post and your handle its clear your looking to pick fights with atheists and then quail about how christians are being attacked and persecuted, but it's ok because we'll all burn in hel.l right?

(By the way, I think the word you're looking for is that you, Typical Atheist, were just pwned)

September 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm |

A Theist

None taken

You are believing a posting from a poser.

Apparently you guys will believe anything!

September 12, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • Jesus "Hobastank" Christ

A Thiest

I assure you Will graduated from High School.

Blessed be his name!

September 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |
    • JohnR

@TA Oh, ye of slow wit. The saying is "I know you are, but what am I?" Your attempt at satire was totally lame and you attempt at snappy comeback was, well, without snap. A sad, sad case.

September 12, 2011 at 4:36 pm |

@Will

Right, because all I have available to me to derive that it's even you writing is your handle, which anyone can take. Aside from that, I asked it as a question for the very reason that I wasn't sure what to believe.

September 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • Typical Atheist

@laughing – Hahahahahaha, oh yes you really pwned [sic] me there!!! As if fossils, core samples, etc prove atheism to be correct. Thanks for proving my original post as being accurate 🙂

September 12, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
    • Typical Theist

I'm certain of my view that whatever I don't understand must be God's doing. I know anyone who challenges my beliefs is a fool and/or possessed by Satan. Anyone who doesn't believe what I do will burn forever in hell. Good and evil are determined by God and my opinion on morality inconsequencial compared to the laws laid out by God. If science disagrees with the things I know are true then the scientists are lying evildoers. I have an everlasting soul that will continue to survive the death of my body and will spend eternity with Jesus and my God. I know I'm pathetic compared to my glorious God and can't wait to spend that eternity kissing his holy feet.

September 12, 2011 at 4:44 pm |

A Theist

I understand, again no offense taken.

Let’s just say I was two points shy of perfect on the SAT's, had the highest ASVAB in Ft Jackson history, and I was first published when I was less than ten. Mensa member for decades.

Does that clarify it enough?

September 12, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
    • A Theist

@Typical Atheist/Theist The battle of ignorance has begun. I liken it to two sides lobbing cannonballs by hand at each other because they haven't the mind to load the cannon with powder and light the fuse. The war and the tactics are both useless.

September 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm |

@Will
      It certainly does! Thanks for the clarification, and congrats on the Mensa! If you don't mind my prying, what did you publish?

September 12, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Laughing

@TA

Awe kiddo, don't think i said that all the evidence presented proves atheism correct, you could take that way if you want though. What this evidence does show is that the bible (among other religious texts) are markedly wrong and just plain silly when you think about it. This evidence coupled with critical thinking allows me to come to my conclusion that atheism makes the most sense. Then again, if you presented some evidence that proves god existance (and no, a book written by a bunch of people 2000 years ago does not count) I would very well change my mind.

You're welcome for uncovering your ignorance even further. It's cool though, go on living in the dark, please though for my sake among others, don't vote.

September 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm |
    • Typical Atheist

laughing – You should probably learn how to spell before trying to debate. Having the vocabulary of a 4th grader does not bode well to the evidence you are trying to portray.

September 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • Typical Atheist

Yea william demuth, what did you publish? Since you are clearly the smartest man on here.....Oh please do tell, that is ofcourse, unless you were lying?

September 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
    • Typical Atheist

September 12, 2011 at 5:10 pm |

A Theist

I was one of the original editors of a magazine called Childrens Express

WAAYYYYYYY back in the day

September 12, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
    • A Theist

@Will Please note that my question is of inquiry, and I do not intend to take the aggressive tone some of the other handles on this thread have.

September 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm |

Typical Atheist

Double posting?

Your anger is getting the best of you, and your self doubt will be your undoing.

Isn't this the part where you steal someone elses name in an even more desperate attempt to garner attention?

Perhaps if you just slow down and present your point of view, you wont need to hide behind screen names.

September 12, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
    • A Theist

@Will Thanks for the response! Yeah I can say with certainty that I'm quite a bit younger than you ;). The Mensa membership is impressive! I haven't visited the site for a few years now, but the last time I did, I felt that their acceptance criteria was a little loose on the lower end of the spectrum. Of course, I'm no 200, so I'm not complaining! 😀

September 12, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • J.W

I am a Christian and I think critically almost constantly.

September 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  5. Muneef

A Bedouin was asked,"How do you know your Lord?"

The Bedouin could only reply with (The Example of) that which was before him, so he said, " Droppings tell of a Camel, Foot-Prints tell of a Traveler. The Sky, The Earth with Mountain Passes, Seas with Waves- Do they not tell of the All-Hearer, The All Seer?".

September 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Muneef: Bedouin's don't get wifi in the middle of the desert. I wouldn't trust their lacking fund of knowledge.

September 12, 2011 at 4:21 pm |
    • Muneef

Funny, but that was told about Bedouins 1400 years ago and not now where you find them with latest automobiles and safisticated tracking equipment's specially those in smuggling by sea shores and desert lands... Understand that pirates in the Indian ocean are even more safisticated today with such equipment's than any fishing or commercial ships..!!!

September 14, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  6. William Demuth

Multi Interfaith meetings

Where the Jews, Christians and Muslims plan each others murders! Like Mafioso's dividing the sheep, assuring each other their are plenty of patsises to fleece!

Like a pathetic Agatha Christie novel, with all the usuall suspects.

September 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Redneck louie

an thars billy bob in the corner all hunched over hisself an aroughin up the suspect

September 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  7. AtheistSteve

Believers inevitably adhere to the parts of their faith that match their sensibilities. For example Christians do not follow ALL the directives outlined in the bible, (impossible in any case since many are contradictory) just the ones they personally agree with and chuck the rest. I'm not even saying that some things in the bible aren't worth paying attention to. The Golden Rule is a good example although even here Jesus missed the mark a bit. It should be "Do onto others as they would have done to themselves", but that's just nit-picking. In any case the Golden Rule is good not because it is written in the bible, it's good because it's self-evidently true. I'm sure it was true long before it was written in the bible and it will continue to be true long after people stop believing in superst.ition.

September 12, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • The Finisher

The golden rule is not a good rule. It can be used for evil and is not "golden". Jesus was an idiot.

September 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
  8. Parp

Delusional people no doubt find it easier to be deluded about getting along with other deluded people.
    And afterwards they can go back to hating each other. It's a win-win situation for delusional hypocrites.

September 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • A Theist

Delusional hypocrites, as in everybody?

September 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • doctore0

Funny, as hate of other faiths AKA tribes is built in the magic books

September 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  9. Heartbreak

My heart breaks for those who lost loved ones on 9/11, and I suppose that their taking comfort in weird things should be empathized with, but take a look at this picture:

September 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • A Theist

Emapthy connection was a success. I'm not sure if I should teary eyed or just start laughing. Maybe a little of both 😛

September 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Heartbreak

Shoot, I just realized that the link doesn't go directly to the picture that I was talking about. It's the one with someone holding up a picture sort of like this one:

September 12, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Universe

Reasoning and 'FAITH' are independant
    Science and 'FAITH' are independant

Faith is a 'personal conviction', faith comes from hearing the word of God, Faith is not something that needs Proof

Human reasoning is not infinite to claim there is 'no GOD'.

September 12, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • A Theist

I disagree. Faith is a personal conviction the same way a jury feels a unanimous conviction to determine the guilt of a subject. Science and Reasoning supply logic and evidence to come to a conclusion about a personal conviction.

September 12, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
    • Why

Universe-Why do you think faith is a personal conviction?

September 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |

@A Theist: Hayyyy!

September 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • William Demuth

So you are agreeing that Muslims actually hear the voice of Allah?

Yet Allah does not exist?

So all Muslims are hearing only their own illness?

Yet the voices in YOUR head are real?

Sounds too egocentric to require further comment!

September 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Universe

@Why

September 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • William Demuth

Fact is what is left when faith is washed away as an illusion.

It is the painfull reality that thiests wish to avoid at any cost.

September 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • A Theist

@Awkward! You're back! We find each other admist the brewing of another flame-war, as usual 😀

September 12, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@A Theist: I already have people angry with me for my liberal mentions of buttcheeks and circle jerks. Hilarity! I stole a fresh brand new bible while I was away. I was just going to toss it in the garbage but I thought.. hmmm.. I could use this to give 'A Theist' a span_king or two. 😉
      Okay good to see you here buddy.

September 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm |

Buttcheeks? The Blasphemy!! Haha looking forward to the debate/span_king! 😉

September 12, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Universe

Hey -Universe...

You Said to @Why: "Faith is a personal conviction because I have seen people of Faith who very deeply love God and it reflects in the life that they live, because they want to share the love of God with others. examples missionaries/Mother Teresa etc., Then there are others who have been personally convinced because of a miracle in their life. "

Interesting discussion you have brought up concerning 'faith' and 'conviction' etc...

So, let me start out my posting by saying that I make -0- claims as to whether a God/s exist/s or not.

With that said, I want to make the distinction about 'faith' that you claim you see in people. "Faith" is a 'belief'... and especially in the world of Theological discussions concerning religion, along with the finer arguments over whose got the 'right' 'faith' i.e.. who's religion is the correct one...? Is there a God...? Life after bodily death...? If so, what happens...? All of the Philosophical 'Metaphysical' debates.... "Faith" is still nothing more than 'belief'... which 'may' or 'may not be' actually accurate in the world of 'absolute facts' and REALITY.

Nothing wrong with having faith in your God, as I see it in particular, however... do remember as well this "conviction" you talk about that you see in others, due to a "miracle" etc... is, in 'fact' in 'reality' still... just the individuals *interpretation* and the *meaning* that they assign to the events that have happened in their lives. They claim 'miracles' as = to must be a God. When, in fact, just because something that may be against the odds, or unexplainable yet happens, could very easily *mean* that there are 'natural reasons' or 'phenomena' that are the real realities of the situation.

Point being, "faith" and "personal conviction" doesn't 'proove' nor 'infer' in any way that the God of your Bible, or anyone elses' Holy Book... actually exists, along with all of the other Metaphysical issues discussed above.

However... again, 'maybe' there is a God. And of course... 'maybe there isn't.'

Some of us are willing to live with the uncertainty without assigning *meaning* to events that happen in their lives to mean......."This happened, therefore there could be no other 'reason' other than...'there is a God'... or 'God did it.'

Respectfully,

Peace...

September 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm |

@Peace2All: Nice response!
      and heloooo good to see you around.

September 12, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Awkward Situations

Hey, my new friend, -Awkward !!! How are you...? 😀

Thank you for your kind words... and... very good to see you around as well.

Peace brother...

September 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • A Theist

@Peace You mean "peace sister" ;). She is of the lady sorts, I believe.

September 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Peace2All: Didn't see your reply there! I'm doing fabulous. Taking it easy for a couple of days.

@A Theist: Or I could be a gay man. The world will never know. muhahahaha! (jokes!)

September 12, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • A Theist

@Awkward Actually you could be anything really....as could I! For all you know, I could be a whole COLLECTION of people with the same handle!!! Ha-HAH!! 😀 (jokes on jokes).

September 12, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
    • Rollo

Sounds like one of you is Naomi Price...

September 12, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Awkward Situations & @A Theist

Well, regardless of 'who' you both actually are... you both seem to be pretty cool people. Glad to know ya' here on the blogs.

Regards,

Peace...

September 13, 2011 at 1:27 am |
  11. The Truth

TO ALL ATHEISTS:

What do you think of Biologos and Fancis Collins? Any truth or is he just a crazy Christian person?

September 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • The Truth

Correction: Francis Collins

September 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
    • BRC

I don't know what "truth" you would be talking about. From the brief research I just did he posits that there is no such thing as intelligent design, that life did get where it is today through evolution, but that evolution was started (and I would guess possibly guided) by "God". He has his reasons for believing in god, and believes that if you are open to interpreting life a certain way, you can find god too. It's fairly reasonable and not overly pushy. I don't agre with him, but I endorse his type of faith. Not sure what you're looking for here.

September 12, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • Nonimus

@The Truth,
      I am not an Atheist, per se (depending on the definition used), or their spokesperson, but I have no problem with BioLogos or Dr, Collins. They seem to be working towards a reconciliation of their religion with science, which is fine with me, as long as the science side of that reconciliation is based on evidence and the scientific method, otherwise it is a sham, like many other pseudo-sciences.
      It does seem to be somewhat of a God-of-the-gaps approach, but as long as the gaps adjust to the current science, there isn't a problem.
      In other words it seems to be mostly harmless.

September 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@Truth & BRC – Nice to hear. I am a Christian and am in almost complete agreement with them. I also know many Christians who are as well. Unfortunately, and I'm guessing, you all hear of mostly the intelligent design, or the 6k year old earth Christians who do not represent the mainstream view. Albeit, ofcourse they get the majority of media attention because they hold the most fringe beliefs and make for good ratings. They however do not represent the majority of Christians.

September 12, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • AGuest9

I have an issue with the statement "God answers prayers and regularly intercedes in the world." This man holds to powerful a role in global health research to believe in made-up nonsense.

September 12, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • AGuest9

"too powerful a role"

September 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Nonimus

@Alfonzo Muchanzo,
      "Unfortunately,...you all hear of mostly the intelligent design, or the 6k year old earth Christians who do not represent the mainstream view. ... They however do not represent the majority of Christians."
      Honestly, I don't think the majority, of Christians or Americans in general, even think science and evolution, however it would be nice to hear more mainstream Christians speaking out against 'Creation Science' and 'Intelligent Design' as sciences. Why do we not hear more Christians disclaiming AIG, DI, ICR, Dr Dino Jr, etc.?

September 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • BRC

@Alfonzo,
      I really have nothing against Christians (or any other faith for that mattter). People are people; they're going to believe whatever gets them through the day, and as long as they don't negatively impact other people's lives because of it it really doesn't bother me one bit. I know most people who believe in a god are a far more moderate sort than what gets media attention (would probably help if people of all faiths remembered that before they judged others), so I'm not too overly worried about them. I cannot disprove gods' existence and have no intention of trying. The main reason I to come to these blogs and keep people engaged in conversation is just to understand how they have those beliefs, because I trully cannot begin to understand them.

I do become worried, VERY worried, when those out there fringe beliefs are backed by an entire religion's dogma (Catholic, Hindu, Islam, whatever); because now it's not just one person rambling, it's a socio-political body that has the potentil to make change for the worse. Those are the few occasions where I feel teh need to be upity about things, because while I respect every person's right to hold their personal beliefs, I truly think large organized religions are bad for the world.

September 12, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • A Theist

@BRC You mean large, organized religio-political groups. To my knowledge, I've never once been threatened by a Buddhist movement 😛 (then again, I may not know of some Buddhist crusade in history).

September 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • BRC

@A Theist,
      I actually really like true Buddhism (the original, where the Buddha was just a man with a good way to live, not the later form where they deemed him a god in carnate). IT is a religion without requiring that its followers believe in anything outside of the observable. You learn how to live a goo dlife, let go of things that do not help you or the people around you in this world, and if you live a good enough life you are rewarded by being done. Now, there is no more evidence for reincarnation than for any other afterlife, but they don't let that be the main concern. The main concern is living a good life. I wish more religions were like that. Also, I thin it is an iherently more personal belief. Buddhists may congregate, but unless I'm horribly off base, they still pray inward, and meditate to themselves. It removes that socio- aspect I was talking about, where one person praying louder makes everyone else feel like they have to pray louder and now you have a contest about who loves god the most; then peope start trying to prove how much they love him. That's when things get a bit out of hand for me. So, really long explanation of why I said socio-political not religio-political.

September 12, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • A Theist

Without intending to spark hatred or a debate, BRC, I must say your admiration for Buddhism sounds rather "Christian," at least how I believe :P. I happen to agree wholeheartedly with the type of respect you have for Buddhism (maybe not the "no God" part, but we can't expect to agree everywhere! 😉 )

September 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • BRC

No hatred or debate sparked, I have already said I considered you one of the good Christians.

September 12, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
    • Laughing

@BRC

I actually thought the same way you did till I took a couple of courses on Buddhism, then I realized what you and I both think is buddhism is actually more closely akin to Hinduism (one of its sects anyways). Buddhism doesn't necessarily teach you to live a good life, it actually teaches to live a life that is devoid of feeling or emotion. Any good or bad action will earn you karma which you don't want because being reincarnated is basically failing at that life and getting another go at it. They are also all about prosletyzing and conversion just as much as christianity. American Buddhism is a little different, mostly in response to American christianity, but they try to accrue as many followers as christianity does

September 12, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • BRC

I have never seen or experienced aggressive Buddhist recruiting before, that's a bit dissapointing to hear.

September 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Laughing

@BRC

I don't know if there's such thing as an "aggressive buddhist" as you put it, they're a lot more passive, which to us as westerners we see as peaceful and serene. however when they're recruiting they don't do it with firey speeches and condemnations, they do it by showing up all over the place and in a very passive aggressive way just sort of sit and pray, they will also gladly tell you about the buddha and buddhist teachings and just sort of expect you to join.

September 12, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • The Finisher

Buddhism seeks to repress natural outrage and fails. Many wars have been fought by Buddhists. Sometimes over which sect is better. Anger and other "non-peaceful" emotions can build up in the most "peaceful" of people.
      Peace2All has a lot of violence within his psyche the same as anyone else. Peace is not the natural state of the human brain and any attempts to enforce non-agitation upon the psyche will only have limited results.

September 12, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • The Primer (the one who shall follow the Great Sanding)

@The Finisher,
      " Peace is not the natural state of the human brain ..."
      Please enlighten us as to what exactly is the "natural state of the human brain?"

September 13, 2011 at 11:00 am |
  12. The Truth

He's alive and rose from the dead!

September 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm |

ZOMBIE?????

Quick, shoot it in the head!!

September 12, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

I have to say, I love zombie Jesus!

September 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Normon

Great! Where is He? I'd like to talk with Him.

September 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
    • BRC

I cannotaccept Zombie Jesus, he woudl interfere with the imagery of "Buddy Christ". There is no way a zombie version would have the manual dexterity to hold the proper hand positions.

September 12, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
    • GodPot

Apparently Zombie Jesus ate all his followers brains...

Mmmmmm, Brains...!!!

September 12, 2011 at 2:14 pm |
    • Normon

@BRC,
      "There is no way a zombie version would have the manual dexterity to hold the proper hand positions."
      Nothing is beyond the power of God... It's a Miracle!

September 12, 2011 at 2:16 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@BRC: Nice! Reference to George Carlin and "Christianity Wow!" haha.

September 12, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • BRC

@Awkward,
      Just because he's dead doesn't mean we can't learn form him (Carlin or Jesus, take your pick)

September 12, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@BRC: I miss his unique humor and presence on this Earth dearly. (Carlin, not Jesus)

September 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
  13. AGuest9

One day, people will realize what religion really is.

September 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

Cancer to forward progress.

September 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm |
    • AGuest9

Good summary, Awkward.

September 12, 2011 at 2:05 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Awkward Situations wrote on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 2:01 pm, "A coping mechanism for people who are terrified of death and afraid of the dark. Mind-control manufactured by humans to make slaves out of the followers – and make the slaves love their servitude. Cancer to forward progress."

Death after one has lived a life of abundant measure and righteous accords is but a stepping stone to the next life within but one heaven of the too many to count, heavens within this Heavenly lamentation called Earth. To say the Kingdom of God is inside you should be meditated upon in terms of the scientific basis called Fractal Cosmology, Fractals of Cosmologic Order deals from the very smallest of paticulate matter being emulated outwardly and onto that which is hoisted up and made manifest in the Celestial Heaven. Outer space contrivances are but a mimickery of inner space ideals. The atomic domains of inner space can do without the celestial things of outer space becoming that which cleaves to the gravimetric nuances of material fundamentalisms' leanings. Atheists need not worry about such immortal preludes for they become part and parcel of the Sea of Nothingness, while those who cling to living life "MORE" abundantly will be given life after death ad infinitum throughout the eternal voids of nothingness upon the 1st realm of the atomic Cosmos. Our Mega Cosmos is still in the making churning its' way toward becoming the first day dawning to be a colossal world without end and is as yet void and formless. As it was in the beginning so shall it be upon the end meaning the ways in which the atomic Cosmos was made manifest so shall the grand Cosmos become in manifestations' mimickeries of the smallest Cosmos as the eons upon eons lapse ever onward thru time eternal.

September 12, 2011 at 4:17 pm |

September 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Awkward Situations wrote on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm, "@Richard S Kaiser: So many words but nothing to say. I've heard this type of speech before in the mental wards. No worries, there's treatment for that."

Go then and begone to your "mental wards". It is not my fault you cannot fathom let alone comprehend the Fractals of Cosmology which is a new thing upon the net. Go and Google Fractal Cosmology and search out the site regarding a Mr. Robert Oldershaw. His site is the best oganized so far, at least to me his site is,,,,,Better hurry for the storm seems to be encroaching upon the shoreline, just might be the perfect storm!

September 12, 2011 at 5:15 pm |

September 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
    • Stark Tony

September 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Stark Tony wrote on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm, "I laffed my ass off at Kaiser's "fractal cosmology". Really. What a joke. This wall-eyed rant by our resident UFO-dropping is just amazingly bad pseudo-science. Lumping a bunch of scientific-sounding words together in a paragraph without even trying to see if they fit together isn't even worth picking apart. Kaiser must be a total nutjob who desperately misses the X-Files show. How sad that there are people like this in the world."

What's the matter Stark, too damned afraid to google Fractal Cosmology and unshamely see my TRUTH?

A Theist wrote on Monday, September 12, 2011 at 5:39 pm, stating, "Kaiser, are you a physicist? I've been dying to ask a Physicist this question I have, but I've been unable to get a hold of one this summer..."

One need not be a physicist to acquire the jist of Fractal Cosmology but it can't hurt. Mr. Robert Oldershaw's site is: http://www3.amherst.edu/~rloldershaw/

Once their click on : Example of Stellar/Atomic Self-Similarity

September 12, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

Good catch Iron Man. High five.

September 12, 2011 at 6:02 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

Hey I found the singularity at the bottom of a prescription bottle of anti-psychotic medication.

September 12, 2011 at 6:05 pm |
    • A Theist

@Kaiser Ok then, never mind. My question is about physics.

OH I GET IT! Stark Tony, Tony Stark.... good catch there @Awkward. Nice handle Iron man! 😀

September 12, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@A Theist: Wait, do you use more than one name on here?

September 12, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • A Theist

@Awkward Oh, I meant that multiple people could be going by "A Theist" and you'd never know it–but 'tis truly just me, I swear it to the best of my knowledge, which is quite credible!

To answer you question though, officially, no, I stick to me: A Theist. Once in a while I dapple around a bit, pretending to be CrystalRiver (not the real one, but one of the many awesome fakes–it's not just me, by the way. Lots of people like to "fake" her out 😉 ). I also went by "Wisdom" a few days back, but it's always to try and tame CrystalRiver, so that's why I say officially it's just me, A Theist. A growing boy has to have his trolling fun as well after all! 😀

September 12, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@A Theist: Ah ha okay I see. To be honest I would be a little bit disappointed if you were a constant chameleon and I never knew who I was talking to exactly. You seem like a nice fellow but then again, this is the internets! I never go by another name – I take credit for all the insanity I throw out there. lol.

September 12, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • A Theist

@Awkward, Nope, aside from the casual teasing of one, crazy CrysalRiver, 'tis only I, A Theist, your "Babble" loving, young lad!

September 12, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  14. I'm The Best!

@ Alfonzo
    I know you said you're getting back to work but in case you show back up...

The thing about letting Jesus into your heart is that you allow yourself to change how you feel about the world. If I had a kid and told everyone he came into contact with to talk about The Hulk as if he was their savior but I never pushed him into worshiping him. If he ever 'opened his heart' to The Hulk, he would get the same feeling. It's all just views on life and the world around you. If you truely believe that someone is always watching over you, then you're going to feel better.

The tes.timonies from the religious people can also be easily explained. If I had enough faith in something, then I would risk my life for it as well even if I didn't have anything to gain. Just because a lot of people believed in it and risked their lives for it doesn't make it real. Many egypt.ions faught and di.ed for their kings because they believed them to be part gods.

As for the pro.phecies, these come true all the time. They just have to be va.gue enough for someone to see a cor.rela.tion to in at some point in history. I could say that when I meet my future wife, I'll be under something white. Well when this happens, I may say that's a cloud, or the ceiling of wherever I'm at. As long as it's va.gue, someone will find a way to make it true.

Also, the life on other planets thing.... With science we can say that it is not only statistically possible, but statistically probable that there is life on other planets.

September 12, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
  15. Dodee Fayed

Help!,

I am trying to get to a news network and it keeps redirecting me to the AlL Jjaziiraa network.

Was wanting to read about interfaith, all i see is the lovely face of sheik amza's !!!!!

September 12, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
  16. HeavenSent

The event yesterday was for the survivors and family/friends of the 9/11 who died. Today is Open to the public.

Talk about a bunch of sheep.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • TruthPrevails

'Talk about a bunch of sheep'???? Is it not you who follows 'the lord is my shepherd' stuff? Human's don't need a shepherd.

September 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  17. William Demuth

It seems no matter WHAT God you follow, the majority of us think you are following the wrong one.

This interfaith stuff is like the "Leauge of Nations"

Just a get to know your enemy social, usually right before you begin slaughtering them.

September 12, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • Awkward Situations

Agreed. They're just stroking the giant phallus that is their ego.

September 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

You really have no idea what you're talking about, but love to come on here and blabber utter nonsense everyday. You've probably driven more people to belief than any Christian lol.

September 12, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Still Babbling while you spew your nonsense wishes.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm |

Alfonzo Muchanzo

Ok Jesus freak, what I am talking about is MATH.

No religion holds 51 percent adherance, so logic dictates the MAJORITY of people who believe in any given God are WRONG

Perhaps you need to remove your shoes to perform the calculation?

September 12, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@William – You really crack me up, your thinking is rather convoluted. By your own accord, nobody can be right, not even the atheists, since 51% do not agree. Guess you really got me on that one.

And yes I did have to take my shoes off to wrap my mind around that brain buster.

September 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • The Finisher

Alphonzo is so clever. Clever enough to suck my dick!

September 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@finisher – Good one agani, you're really on a roll today.

September 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

HeavenSent

Still Babbling while you spew your nonsense wishes.

Amen.

---–
      Please look in the mirror and repeat

September 12, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • The Finisher

They see me rollin'....

September 12, 2011 at 6:10 pm |

... they hatin'..

September 12, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  18. Alfonzo Muchanzo

Do atheists believe that their position is a belief in itself or mere fact?

September 12, 2011 at 11:52 am |
    • William Demuth

We stand ready to asses your evidence for your God.

We have no God, thus no evidence to present.

September 12, 2011 at 11:53 am |
    • HeavenSent

The damned HATE the SAVED.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • William Demuth

We don't hate you, we just think your idiots!

Saved indeed!

September 12, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • I'm The Best!

I'm an atheist and I see my view as a belief. Since there is no proof one way or the other, you can't portray it as fact. But I do say that an atheist view is the most logical one. If there is no proof that something exists, or any reason for it to (physics and nature work fine without god being introduced) then it's more logical to assume there isn't one than there is.

....Also the fact that there have been so many other gods and blah blah blah (place usual atheist argument here).... You get my point.

September 12, 2011 at 12:00 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

The ONLY one sure thing that atheists have in common with each other is that they do not believe in god.
      Otherwise they could subscribe to a number of other philosophies on life. We're not all the same by any means. But we do tend to come together and bond over mocking and ridiculing idiots praying out of a storybook.. just because it brings the giggles like no other.

September 12, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@Imthebest – You state there is no proof, however it doesn't appear that you consider anything intangible as evidence, just a thought. Physics and nature do work fine without a God, for it's the laws of our planet. That, however, says nothing for or against God.

@awkward – Stating the Bible as a storybook brings no credibility or serious dialogue to your claim. It merely shows that you have a foregone conclusion and you disgregard anything you don't believe as utter nonsense, which I believe is an ignorant position.

September 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • The Further Adventures of No-No-Bad-Dog

It is a non-belief. To say it is a belief is like saying that you have a belief system about the non-existence of Quetzlcoatl. The reality is that since there is absolutely no evidence at all of the existence of Quetzlcoatl, there is no point believing.

Religious people try to pervert non-belief into belief so that it looks like atheism is on the same level as religion. But it is not. Atheism is supported by every last shred of physical evidence in the known universe. There has never been any real evidence of a suprenatural force of any kind. Religions, on the other hand, make their claims based on absolutely no evidence from a reliable source; they only offer old texts of very dubious credibility and heresay. Outside their duboius text, they can offer absolutely no support for their contention that their (or any) deological entity exists.

The non-belief in god is just that: a non-belief.

September 12, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Alfonzo Muchanzo: If you have any sort of tangible evidence.. then by all means, please, present it. However I won't hold my breath that you will bring anything of substance to the table. We've been waiting thousands of years .. nothing yet.

September 12, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@awkward – Well there is plenty of evidence to support the Bible, however I imagine you automatically dismiss it without any thought. There's plenty of intangible evidence, that's quite credible I might add. Science also has nothing to say about whether or not a human has a soul (i.e. after life or God), and therefore cannot speak to that as others erroneously claim "science proves no God."

September 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Alfonzo Muchanzo: You may get the feeling of "automatic dismissal" most likely because the very evidence you are presenting is something that has been examined and discredited many times before in the past. You see, it's the same thing over and over again from the religious camp. If you are serious then I welcome your side of the argument and I'll leave my jokes by the wayside.

September 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm |
    • The Further Adventures of No-No-Bad-Dog

You copped out, Alfonzo. Instead of providing the evidence you claim, you went ad hominem and insulted Awkward. That looks suspiciously like you have no evidence, and know the flimsy rationalizations you have will not bear scrutiny.

Science does have things to say about the soul: there is absolutely no evidence that a soul exists. You are different at different times of your life. what part is encapsulated in your soul? Someone receives brain damage at an early age which radically alters his behavior and makes him violent. Is his soul that of the early child, or of most of his violent life? Moreover, there has been a lot of psychological study that supports the theory that humans psychologically are not an integrated entity but instead a patchwork of different pieces which are often contradictory. It may feel like you have a soul, but you do not. What you feel as your soul changes radically throughout your life.

September 12, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • chad

"We have no God, thus no evidence to present"

William: Atheists believe there is no God. You are making a positive affirmation, therefore you would need to provide evidence to support that claim.
      Agnostics believe it cant be known, and therefore make no positive affirmation regarding the existence or non-existence of God.

So just as I (as a Christian) need to defend my view on the existence, you (as an atheist) need to defend your view on the non-existence.

September 12, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ Alfonzo
      I have to ask, what is your intangible evidence? Is it a feeling of love? Acceptance? Because these can be explianed by science in that they're just chemical reactions in the brain. If you stop those chemicals, you won't feel that feeling anymore. It's the same idea used for anti-depression medication.

And I think science speaks for itself on the issue of a soul. If you had a soul that was eternal, then any damage to the brain wouldn't affect how someone thinks. This is not the case. Any slight damage to the brain and that person has a completely different personality. You may see this as something else, but I see it as proof that humans do not have souls.

September 12, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@awkward – Do you believe in life on other planets or do you dismiss that possibility? The reason I ask is because there is no hard tangible evidence that aliens exist, which according to your stance, means you automatically assume that life elsewhere cannot exist. On the contrary, you can say, "well we've found water on other planets, etc" which opens up the possibility of life existing elsewhere, but certainly does not prove it. Just as aliens have not come down to earth to prove them 100%, neither has God. That doesn't mean that neither automatically don't exist.

If I were to only take tangible evidence for/against God existing, then I'd have to be an agnostic. What made me a believer compared to an agnostic, was the intangible evidence, and the evidence that God does exist by changing your heart, which is something no tangible evidence can prove, but I know how He changed me.

@further adventures – I didn't made any ad hominem attacks, in fact you are the one doing that. If you think science answers every question about this life and the meaning of it, then I guess you've just got everything figured out and need to advice or help from anyone.

September 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm |
    • The Further Adventures of No-No-Bad-Dog

Your difficulties arise from how you are defining "atheist" and "agnostic." What you are defining as "agnostic" is really "weak-form atheism." Agnosticism actually says something different, and covers a broad swath of views – there are religious agnostics as well as irreligious ones.

We see this all the time here: people try to invent their own definitions to support an otherwise unsupportable argument, such as "atheism is a form of faith." You have to really pervert the multiple definitions of "faith" to make that argument seem correct.

September 12, 2011 at 12:47 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@Im the best – My intangible evidence is not love (although one could claim that). My intangible evidence includes but is not limited to the following:

– The fact that my views and opinions can immediately change after asking Jesus into my heart. I can't explain how simply sincerely asking that would change my views and beliefs drastically overnight. God has made himself known in my heart, there is nothing that I can say regarding that which will provide the proof you require, however it is nonetheless proof for myself.
      – Testimonies of multiple Biblical figures who were not crazy, and had nothing to gain, but everything to lose (and they often did) in giving their testimonies.
      – Prophecies in the Bible which could not have occurred by random guessing/chance.

I have to get back to work now, take care all.

September 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • HeavenSent

William Demuth, you wrote "We don't hate you, we just think your idiots! Saved indeed!"

Answer: You don't think. That's your's and all you non-believers problem. Time to open up your Bible and read His truth to get some wisdom in your life so that your brittle bones won't break off one of these days, soon.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 12:51 pm |
    • BRC

@Alfonzo,
      But life on other planets is not a perfect (or really even a good) comparison to believing in gods. There are billions (to some order of magnitude) of planets in the universe that we "know" about. The odds of another semi-solid rock with an atmosphere balanced between oxygen and nitrogen containing enough carbon to create the molecules that form the building blocks of life is not very far fetched. We know (about) what is needed to sustain life, we have found where the potential for supporting life could be found in just the other celestial bodies within our solar system. So believing that life could have formed somewhere else does require some belief, but it is an informed belief, there is a reason to think that.

There is no such comparative evidence for any god. They have to be taken on pure faith (or on subjective interpretation of intangible evidence; doesn't mean it isn't real for you, but it means that someone else might not have had the experience you did and attribute it to god). There is nothing in our world that we can see that would objectively and definitively say, "yep, that was the work of a god". Until we find something like that, they are a concept that is outside and even against the natural systems and physical laws we know and observe, so believing in their existence must be on pure faith.

September 12, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@I'm The Best!: (I've posted this elsewhere before but I'll put it up again) What you're speaking of is the "Mind-Body problem". I personally don't think there is any sort of problem to begin with. Our consciousness is a result of evolution and is directly related to our physiology. The neuronal connections in our brains is what allows for humans to experience consciousness.

I don't think that a scenario in which a physical mind and a metaphysical consciousness exists separate from each other. When studying the brain, scientists usually look at how lesions or different pathologies cause a loss of function. This way they can localize the areas of the brain responsible for specific tasks. When it comes to consciousness, you just have to look at a brain with a degenerative disease and see how consciousness is impaired before the onset of disease process and how it is afterward. A good example is Alzheimer's disease. One day we will be able to perfect artificial intelligence. I'm positive those robots will not have souls just as we don't have souls.

September 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ Alfonzo
      I forgot to hit reply earlier so this is also at the top....
      I know you said you're getting back to work but in case you show back up...

@Awkward Situations
      I agree with what you are saying completely. And I do think AI isn't that far off. The problem lies in how the brain generalizes objects and situations and prioritizes them based on what's going on. It's hard to get a computer to do this.

September 12, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Alfonzo Muchanzo: Yes I do believe life on other planets is possible. I assume your meaning of "life" is intelligent aliens like us. My meaning of "life" on other planets is any single-cellular organism and beyond. It's just a hunch I have that you don't value anything that walks and talks like us as "living", but that's beside the case. There is plenty of research going on that has identified multiple planets in our galaxy that are similar our planet – meaning they orbit in the "Goldilocks" zone around their star. The zone that allows for optimal temperature for an atmosphere to form and that could support life because it won't be too hot or too cold.

The difference between god and aliens is that aliens are just like us. In the sense they should be made of organic material and of matter in the universe. Your god goes well beyond the confines of nature and it has conveniently set it self up (by man) so that its existence could never be proven (because come on, it doesn't exist). Atheists would be more then willing to examine the evidence of god if you have it. Our position isn't to discard evidence. However, it does get tiring when you guys bring the same old argument over and over again hoping that some day you can catch a stupid atheist to agree with you.

September 12, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • AGuest9

Damned to what? There is no hell because there is no heaven. This is basic logic, people.

September 12, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

I'm watching 'Powder' on Syfy right now. I loved this movie back in the day! Memorrieesss.

September 12, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • HeavenSent

AGuest9, you reject your heritage when you refuse to read Jesus Christ's truth (the Bible) about life (why we're here) and the hereafter (our spirits dwelling with Him for eternity). If you reject Jesus Christ means you accept satan and will be blotted out. No eternity for you. Keep believing your nonsense that there is no heaven or hell, good or evil, Jesus Christ or satan, because if you didn't believe it to be true, you wouldn't be concerned about this site to post your babble.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

To all: Unfortunately I'm busy and cannot respond to all of your claims, however I do find validity in some. As a person at the top of the comments referenced; What do you think of Biologos.org & Francis Collins? I have heard of them prior and find them quite fascinating. I don't think science necessarily disagrees with God as so many claim, but actually are in harmony with one another.

September 12, 2011 at 1:53 pm |

HeavenSent

I can GUARANTEE that I am more informed about your ridiculos scripture than you are.

In fact, I believe you know it.

Your belief is not knowledge, it is indoctrination.

September 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

I believe in science and the evidence it provides. I do not believe in god or the stuff taught in the bible. So it really depends on how an Atheist defines him/herself. Personally I am an Agnostic Atheist with humanist values. The evidence provided by science is factual.

September 12, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
    • Achtung

AGuest9,

You "vill" believe. Heaven's Nazi insists upon it!

September 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Adam

We just don't believe. The Universe is awe inspiring enough. We choose to learn by investigating and exercising our senses. When we look at the sky, we don't look for a man floating on a cloud. We see that there are 300 billion stars in our Galaxy, we see the Andromeda Galaxy, our closest neighbor and see 1 trillion more stars. We look with humility and ponder the idea that there are billions of potential worlds out there. We see the potential for the human race to become more then it is now, by branching out and exploring this Universe of ours.

It is perplexing and appears insane to us, that people would look to one book, one piece of literature and be content that all the answers lay within its pages. That people would eagerly await armegedon and or rapture. We choose this life above all else, and are grateful for it. I do not have proof, nor do I require it, that one all powerful God exists in order to be whole or to seek to live in a moral world. If God does exist, what a pleasurable surprise it will be. I am a finite being doing the best I can to understand the world around me. I do not think it is a pre-requsite that I fully understand or embrace omnipotence before I die.

September 12, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • The Finisher

Alphonzo, you are such a lame troll that I "believe" I will fart in your general direction.

September 12, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • chad

Bad Dog: "Chad, first try to provide evidence that Quetzlcoatl does not exist, or zombies, or whatever. When every last shred of evidence fails to support the existence of a deity in any way, that becomes reasonable grounds to reject a claim."

Wrong again, Atheism is the belief that God does NOT exist. Atheism doesnt make its case by rejecting claims that God does exist. It's basic logic, otherwise I could state that God does exist because it's impossible to prove He does not.

"Your difficulties arise from how you are defining "atheist" and "agnostic." "
      LOL, lets look at what the words are, not what you want them to be
      atheism
      1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
      2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Agnostic:
      a. One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
      b. One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.

If your an atheist, you need to demonstrate that God does not exist.

September 12, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@the finisher – Good one, hope you didn't spend too much time thinking of that one.

September 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • The Finisher

Alphonzo, when you smell that smell, you'll know I didn't have to waste much time on giving you a heads-up.

September 12, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Alfonzo Muchanzo: If you're extracting your arguments from that lame website you mentioned in such a nonchalant manner.. .. it's no wonder you get your feelings hurt if people don't take your seriously. That was rather sneaky. Good day.

September 12, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@awkward – I don't get my feelings hurt when people don't take me seriously, I present my POV and welcome others to do the same.

How was me mentioning that website sneaky? I merely mentioned a website that I believe has good points. Seems you don't agree and have taken offense to it, hmmm interesting.

September 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Alfonzo Muchanzo: Still waiting for that evidence.... . .. . .
      lol.

September 12, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@chad: You are special. Be prepared to be eviscerated if you go on with that nonsensical line of "argument". It has been shot down so many times it's just easier to ridicule the likes of you instead of trying to learn you something mmhmmm!

September 12, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@awkward – Sorry but I won't waste my time compiling evidence that you'll disregard no matter what. I've already mentioned a website that I think has valid points and I agree with, so if you're interested then check it out yourself, among many other websites and books. A book that I find quite fascinating is "A Case for Christ" by Lee Strobel, a former atheist.

I did notice, however, that you never bothered responding to your claim about me being sneaky. Is that because that was an unfounded remark?

September 12, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • chad

Awkward Situations
      So, I'm guessing you dont like the dictionary definitions of atheist and agnostic.. 🙂

If you're uncomfortable with the burden of proof, dont claim to be an atheist..

September 12, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ Chad
      The burden of proof is on the theists. It's like me saying there's a monkey that lives in my closet that stays really quiet and disappears when someone opens the door. Also, you can't touch him. And then I tell you that it's your job to prove me wrong. It just doesn't make since...

with that being said though, it's going to be the atheists who eventually figure out enough science to definitively say that there is no god. Even at that point though, I bet someone will have an excuse as to why the science is wrong.

September 12, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • chad

The burden of proof is on Theists to prove there is a God.
      The burden of proof is on Atheists to prove there is no God.

Both sides are making positive affirmations.

Neither side gets to say they made their case because the other side failed to.

that's just logic and reasoning 101.. simple stuff.. why are you even arguing it? it's not a point up for debate, that's the way it is. If you dont want a burden of proof, become an agnostic.

September 12, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ Chad,
      So what you're saying is that if I made that claim about the monkey, then the burden of proof lies with both me and everyone who disagrees equally? They have to prove that I'm wrong just as much as I have to prove that I'm right? I just don't see the logic in that. It's up to the person making the claim to prove their side, not to the person listening to the claim to prove them wrong.

But just because the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim doesn't mean the other person shouldn't try and show them why that claim is wrong. Which is why most of us atheists are on these boards.

September 12, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • chad

look, it's simple.

If a person makes a positive affirmation, that person has the burden of proof to substantiate the claim.

If I disagree with the claim and want to refute it, I can dispute the evidence presented.

Successfully refuting the claim doesnt have any bearing on the burden of proof I have making a positive affirmation opposite to yours.

September 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Awkward Situations

@Alfonzo Muchanzo: I really don't understand you. First you say that we don't listen to your arguments. Then I say – go on, present some evidence and we'll take a look. Now your respond with absolutely nothing and say that the evidence will just be disregarded off hand. What the hell? You never responded to me directly and have thus far tried to ignore the challenge.

I won't explain why I think you're sneaky. You can't even proceed with a genuine conversation that you engaged in and say that it can't go forward because I will shove off your arguments without examining them. So whatever dude. Good day.

September 12, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ chad
      Normally I would agree, but with theists, their only evidence presented is their holy book and some feelings. When an atheist tries to say that the holy book is (no pun intended) full of holes, the argument usually goes to "well the overall idea of the book is true", well why is it true, "because it says it is". To try and refute the bible with someone who is an avid believer is pretty impossible. You can't prove it wrong because it contains circular logic.

The evidence presented just isn't enough to prove anything. Since it's all based on faith, there is no evidence for an atheist to go up against. So I guess it's not the burden of proof that lies with the theists, but the burden of evidence.

September 12, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • chad

no, look, if you feel the Theist hasnt proven their case that's fine. You feel you have refuted their claim, that's fine.

however

that has nothing to do with the basic issue that Atheists, since they are making a positive affirmation, need to make their own case for the non-existence of God.

September 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

I believe science has already shown our side of the argument pretty well. It has proven many things written in the bible wrong, and has strong evidence against free will and a soul. Without a soul, there can be no god or afterlife.

I just feel as though Atheists have already made their case against the theists original case that there is a god, and most theists (not all) are just trying to come up with reasons why the atheist case doesn't hold water, even though it's routed in scientific facts and their case is not.

September 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Chad

Couple points:
      There has never been an archeological find that brought any portion of the bible into doubt.
      Science continues to uncover how God "did it"
      Science has found it impossible to explain what we know now regarding the origin of the universe and life, w/out some force external to the system.

I dont know how science would prove/disprove existence of our soul.. Would be interested in hearing what portions of the bible you felt science had disproved.

This is usually the time when people start calling me names and ignoring the argument.. hopefully that doesnt happen.

September 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • Real Deal

chad, "There have been literally thousands of archeological finds that confirmed biblical events/places/people."

There has not been one single find, archeological or otherwise, which confirms the supernatural beings or events, however.

We know about many of the places, events and people of the Greek and Roman and Egyptian myths too - does that mean that their gods were/are real?

September 12, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
    • HeavenSent

William Demuth, you know nothing about His truth. If you did. You wouldn't be so impressed with the ways of the world.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 11:32 pm |
    • I'm The Best!

@ chad
      There has only been archaeological evidence for places in the bible. Very few events and very few people. And places are commonly used in many writings true or not. Many writings from Greece talk of Athens and Sparta, but does that mean Athena or Ares are real?

And just because Science can't explain something doesn't mean "God did it", it just means we don't know yet. As for the beginning of the universe, there are theories that have nothing to do with god but are just as likely. The same goes for the origin of life.

As for the soul, there is science to show that we as humans don't have free will, which would allude to there not being a soul. There is also science to show that we as humans are only what going on in our minds. For example, if someone has brain damage, then their personality changes drastically. The same goes for if there is even a slight change in the chemical composition of the brain. If souls existed, then anti-depression meds wouldn't work, and alcohol or other drugs wouldn't change the way someone acted. There is no proof for a soul, but there is proof against it.

September 12, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • chad

=>"There has only been archaeological evidence for places in the bible. Very few events and very few people"

? I assume you are referring to the early portions of the Old Testament, The New Testament (Acts for example), is replete with people and events that have been confirmed. Rather than re-hash books and books, I’ll just quote an article from a very secular magazine (Time)
      “For every discovery like the Maccabees' burial cave that doesn't pan out, there seems to be another that does. Few scholars believe that miracles like Moses' burning bush or Jesus' resurrection will ever be proved scientifically; they are, after all, supernatural events. Conversely, few doubt that the characters in the latter part of the Old Testament and most of the New — Nebuchadnezzar, Jeremiah, Jesus, Peter — really existed, though some will always doubt parts of their stories”

Granted, getting names dates and locations correct doesn’t guarantee anything other than further evidence that the author was scrupulous in getting things right.

=> “As for the soul, there is science to show that we as humans don't have free will, which would allude to there not being a soul”

Everyone has free will, you don’t have to do what you want to do (what you want to do is a product of the temperament God gave you, and the environment that you were raised in), you can do anything at all.
      Said another way I dont like public speaking and I'm fairly introverted, now that doesnt stop me from getting a job in sales. I wouldnt like it, but I could do it. That's free will.

September 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
  19. JohnR

A small but positive step.

September 12, 2011 at 11:46 am |
    • The Finisher

into a pile of dog poop.

September 12, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  20. myweightinwords

I think it is a beautiful thing when people of different faiths can come together and find common ground.

September 12, 2011 at 10:54 am |
    • I'm The Best!

I agree, but it's usually an act of violence or hatred that unites people. If all these people of different faiths could find a common ground without the initial hatred, I'd be more inclined to see it as a beautiful thing. I think this would happen more often without the initial act of violence if people of faith wouldn't try to force their religion onto others. This world would be a much better place if people didn't assume they were right about everything and respected others opinions.

This coming from an atheist.

September 12, 2011 at 11:24 am |
    • myweightinwords

Oh, I agree. It would be much more beautiful if we found our way there without tragedy painting the way for us...and if we could learn to live our faith and let others live theirs without taking offense or rushing to judgment....and maybe if we took the time to learn a little bit about what other faiths REALLY believe that might come a little easier.

I don't know, maybe I'm dreaming to think that peace is within our grasp if only we are willing to reach for it.

September 12, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • I'm The Best!

Well.... I don't know about peace being within our grasp, maybe between religions. It would make a lot of things easier if everyone either respected each others religion or everyone had the same religious (or non-religious) ideaology. But then I just assume we'd all go to war over land, food, and oil instead of religion. There would probably be less random acts of terror but just as many, if not more, overarcing acts of wipeing out an entire populous.

I'm sure there were a few spelling error througout that, but forgive me, spelling was never really my thing.

September 12, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • HeavenSent

The common ground is reading, comprehending, and applying Jesus Christ's truth to your life instead of following all the false gods and theories of the world. We all go back to God, who created us, why wait for summer school?

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@HeavenSent, that isn't common ground. That is conversion.

It is exactly that which divides us as a nation, not what unites us.

September 12, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • HeavenSent

MyweightinBabble. Stop being naive and read His truth about life and the hereafter. All the other atheists and non-believer (meaning false preachers) can't save your soul. Only you doing the work of reading Jesus Christ's truth (the Bible) will save your soul because it shows Jesus Christ that you love Him and will follow His truth and His truth will set you free.

Amen.

September 12, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
    • Jezus H. Kriste

Truth is, Dad likes to send a tornado or a big calamity now and then to kill a few worthless beings and scare the rest of them. But he's a pretty nice guy, if you're immortal that is.

September 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • AGuest9

(Yawn...) There is no such thing as a "soul". Truth in that old book full of lies??? Right...

September 12, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • The Finisher

There is no common ground, just common humanity. And it's just a circle-jerk anyway.
      I think you'll see that these "interfaith" events don't do a damn thing when it comes to fixing anything.
      Useless agreement is worthless.

September 12, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Bert

"Only you doing the work of reading Jesus Christ's truth (the Bible) will save your soul because it shows Jesus Christ that you love Him and will follow His truth and His truth will set you free."

Reading the bible doesn't do anything for a person at all. Society is showing that Christians that claim to know and read the bible can't actually follow it to the letter, nor do they have the capacity to love like their Christ instructs them too. LMAO! Thanks Heaven Sent for showing why NOT to listen to people like you – you're doing a great job pushing people away from Christianity. Hoorah!

September 12, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • J.W

I am sure Heaven Sent is an atheist. She just wants to sabotage Christianity and this is her way of doing it.

September 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Actually, Jezus HK, He doesn't discriminate. Stop fooling yourself thinking you are special.

JW ... If you insist on being stroked for your bad behavior, talk with a Christian that only attends church but never reads the Bible.

Amen.