home
RSS
September 19th, 2011

Foo Fighters protest Westboro Baptist Church

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)– Rock stars the Foo Fighters played an impromptu show for a group of protesters from Westboro Baptist Church who had come to protest outside the band's show Friday night in Kansas City, Missouri.

Band members jumped onto a flatbed truck, sporting costumes they wore in a recent video parody, parked across the street from the protest, and sang "Hot Buns," CNN affiliate KSHB reported.

The lyrics to the song: "Driving all night, got a hankering for something/Think I'm in the mood for some hot-man muffins/Mmmm, sounds so fine, yes indeed" made pointed response to the church's protest.

As they often do, the protesters held up brightly colored signs that read, "God Hates Fags," and "Thank God for Dead Soldiers."

Dave Grohl, the frontman for the Foo Fighters, ended the song with a patriotic message: "Ladies and gentlemen, God bless America! Land of the free, home of the brave," KSHB reported.

In a news release, dated August 30, 2011, the church said it would protest the Foo Fighters concert because "The entertainment industry is a microcosm of the people of this doomed nation: hard-hearted, Hell-bound, and hedonistic to the max. Every person with a platform should be using it to encourage obedience to God; instead, you teach all things contrary to Him: fornication, adultery, idols, fags."

Westboro Baptist Church has been greeted in a variety of ways at protests in the recent past.

This summer, Mars Hill, a multisite church in the Seattle area, welcomed protesters with coffee and doughnuts.

"They need Jesus, too, maybe as bad as anyone on the Earth. As a church, we're called to love people. They're people, so they make the list," Mars Hill Pastor Mark Driscoll told CNN in June.

The Topeka, Kansas-based Westboro was started by Fred Phelps in 1955 and is best known for protesting soldiers' funerals, with protesters carrying their controversial signs.

The church says on its website that it is an "Old School (or, Primitive) Baptist Church," though it has no known ties to any broader national Baptist denomination.

Phelps told CNN in 2006, "You can't preach the Bible without preaching the hatred of God."

The church's membership is small and mainly made of Phelps family members.

The church is regularly sued for defamation but often wins those cases. Last year, one such case went all the way to the Supreme Court, where the justices upheld members' right to free speech. One of Phelps' daughters, a Harvard Law-trained attorney, represented the family before the court.

The protest and response generated substantial publicity and attention for the band and the church.

The Foo Fighters performance went viral over the weekend.  The band posted a behind-the-scenes video on YouTube of preparations play on the street in front of the church that has racked up nearly a half a million hits.

A representative for the Foo Fighters told CNN, "The band is leaving that video/performance as their only comment on the matter."

The band is on tour promoting a new record.  The church is perpetually on tour promoting its brand of hellfire and brimstone, protesting military funerals, churches and, as announced this weekend, the funerals of the nine people killed in an air show accident in Reno, Nevada.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Church • United States • Westboro Bapitst Church

soundoff (1,058 Responses)
  1. Mark

That vid was too funny and the perfect come back to Phelps and his inbred, nose pickin' goo bers.

September 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  2. JakeW

Only a matter of time before they rub the wrong man's rhubarb.

September 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • lolwhat

I'm going to need to borrow that phrase, thank you, and use it on some unsuspecting person later.

September 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • William Demuth

And when they do, I shall vote not guilty, if the shooter cleans up the brains.

Would ANYONE here convict a soldiers Mother or Son, who took this guy out?

September 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
  3. Brad

I'd like to point out that God does not HATE, like the elder phelps says. God teaches mercy, love, and humbleness, among other things...BUT NO WHERE IN THE BIBLE does it teach hatred, except for PEOPLE who felt hatred towards God and his followers...Hence persecution. That's why God sent His only Son to die on the cross for us; Not because of Hate, BUT BECAUSE OF LOVE. Whether you are God-fearing or not, the mercy, love, compassion you give others, and the willingness to help a coworker, family member, stranger on the street or a homeless person comes from somewhere beyond...and its not evolution. I'd like to think its because My God love me enough to share His love and mercy and grace with everyone I meet.

September 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Normon

yeah, yeah, sure.... whatever.
      Look, this seems like the perfect time for God to get his butt down (over?) here and clear up exactly what the hell he "meant" to say. Until then, what's the point?

September 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • slupdawg

Normon: No, we're supposed to make informed decisions based on 2,000+ year old texts. Who needs an update?

September 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
  4. Bo

There isx so much hate on this forum on both sides right now it is pity. This what the master of evil can do to, "A house divided against its self can not stand." Is that the way we want the U.S.A. to be - hateing each other?

September 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • Sharon

We don't hate each other we just disagree with eachothers view point. We are allowed to disagree with people, grow up.

September 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • William Demuth

Actually, I have a crush on Sharon!

September 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Normon

"master of evil"... who's that?
      Did he fight the new Spiderman?

September 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm |
    • lolwhat

You reposted to fix the errors, and you still left the x by the 'is'? I don't get it. That one was *right there*.

September 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
  5. Leighton

OK There are a lot of separate threads in this conversation. I blog a bunch against Christians. One problem is there is a contemplation called "Mind of Christ". To build up images based upon important facets and facts that are necessary for skills to involve. They don't cover this in Churches. Another is the Freudian Trinity of important discontinuous structure building. This can also be used as a conversation between God(structure), Action(Will) and Lord(Services) But the Evangelical Wipeout conversation by the very mention of God. Or the Decorative Panel concept of God is in control while catch phrase sounding betray every hook and nail pinned into a wall and no spiritual improvement can come from it. Unfortunately many materials are produced with this entrenchment where it has forced those of us who respect quiet contemplation away from Christianity completely.

September 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • slupdawg

zzzzzzzzzzz..........you lost me at OK

September 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Jon

Unfortunately most Christians are far too stupid to comprehend what you've posted to illicit a response.

September 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • slupdawg

Do you mean to "elicit" a response Jon? I assume you do.

September 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  6. bil

let me guess–thesE "people" voted for W twice. if you dont like war, why vote for the person that started it? twice no less...Saddam had NOTHING to do with 9/11. "dont pray in my school & i wont think in your church"

September 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • Normon

awfully heated statements there for a guess that someone voted for Bush... "twice no less"

September 19, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
  7. RayVar

Westboro baptist church (intentionally left in lower case) will have to start doing more marriage cemonies amongst it's family members in order to keep up the congregation numbers and lay off a few protests for a bit. The inbreeding will not be able to keep the membership drive alive for long if they don't take time for a few more family reunions.

September 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  8. phil

foos are as foolish as the phelps

September 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  9. Bo

There isx so much hate on this forum on both sides right now it is pity. This what the master of evil can do. A house divided against its self can not stand. Is that the way we want the U.S.A. to be2

September 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • lolwhat

What we want more is people who can f()cking TYPE.

September 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  10. steve g

just another example of people using religion in twisted ways......im not a believer but religion is quite a good.....we'll just call it policy......on its own, religion is not screwed up, it's people who screw up religion and get screwed up from it.

September 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  11. leeroyjenkins

HEY ATHEISTS: One of the Key fundamentals of Communism, is the removal of all religion in the state.

Yup, your ideal scenario has already been tested, please tell me how the communist countries turned out?

September 19, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

You really have no clue what you are talking about. lol

September 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • lolwhat

stfu about atheism, and get back on topic.

September 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

@anton – sorry, did I burst your little ideal bubble? Nice rebuttal also, it was that of a 5 year old.

September 19, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
    • William Demuth

Well. I am not a fan, but they appear to be winning.

They have your jobs, many of your houses, and soon they will have your women.

The Chinese say " He who raffs las raffs best.

September 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • RTFM

Speaking as an Atheist, let me point out that in Communist nations of the past attempted to eliminate religion through state mandate, essentially forcing the will of the party on the people. No system can stand long without consent of the governed. As an Atheist, do I think religion is a mass mental problem? Yes. I would like nothing more than to have mankind one day realize that no divine power binds their fate or controls them, I would rather people do this progressively on their own. Until then, I'm minding my own business as should those of any faith. Atheists, believers, and those who hold power (especially in the US) need to stop trying to convert one another to their beliefs or force anyone to live in any way except the way dictated by their own conscience.

September 19, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

@William – That's not even a real saying. You really do just spew whatever lies/nonsense you can think of to seem smart don't you?

September 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • William Demuth

leeroyjenkins

That was humour.

In English, it is "He Who Laughs Last, Laughs Best"

Do you follow now?

September 19, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Jose

Leeroy, I am by no means an advocate of communism and am quite satisfied living in a capatilist society as an atheist, but the forms of communism you refer to have been extremely perverted. True communism as outlined by Marx has never been (nor will it ever likely) be achieved. In fact, Marx renounced "communism" as perpetuated by Lenin on his deathbed.

September 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

leeroyjenkins

----
      Thank you...You are proving my point with each post you make.

September 19, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • William Demuth

Jose

Quite true. Few people know that.

He felt Leninisim was merely making Christ out of someone else.

Karl was a BRIGHT dude. Believe me I know!

September 19, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

You are literally too stupid to insult.

September 19, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • Anton LaVey

RTFM

----
      I can agree but I think this is going over our nascar poster.

September 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

@anton – Oh how clever you are. Assuming I like nascar? As in to make an overgeneralized reference that all people in the south are dumb or redneck? FYI I live in the northeast and have never attended, nor watched more than 10minutes of a nascar race in my life.

@every1 else – So what you're saying is that we should not look at those forms of communism to be true of atheist because they were diluted and twisted to fit peoples own personal agenda? Hmmm, kinda similar to when you all talk about all religions as being full of hate, hypocracy, etc. Shocking that you all use one excuse to defend yourselves but then use the same thing to persecute others.

I agree that it probably was twisted to suite one's personal agenda. Just like lots of scripture is twisted in the exact same way, when it's never the true message. I was hoping that someone was going to bring up that point, because that's what I wanted to get at all along, just had to have the atheists bring it up (as I knew they would). 🙂

September 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm |
    • RTFM

I said nothing of the sort...

September 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  12. Duh(C)

IM THE ORIGINAL, DUH!!!

September 19, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  13. David

Christianity is stupid.

September 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

Way to bring thoughtful insight into the conversation. Then again, I wouldn't expect much from atheists.

September 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • t-bone

Wow.. Good one. Take a lot of thought to come up with that response? Thats the same ideology that the Westboro crazy folk use, "youre different than me so you must be wrong"

September 19, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • DamianKnight

It actually reminded me of a Spaceballs quote.

"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb."

September 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Jose

All religion is ... but that's just my belief. I would never dream of publicly humiliating people to "prove" my point; everyone has their own set of beliefs regarding divinity and worship, and as long as they are not adversely affecting those around you, we should respect our differences. No need for unnecessary acrimony.

September 19, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
    • JohnR

@Jose By definition, there's no need for unnecessary anything. Why single out acrimony?

September 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Really Leeroy?

@ leeroyjenkins "Then again, I wouldn't expect much from atheists." You should have left that comment out, since its substance is not of better quality than the statement's that you were criticizing. It is true that many atheists post statements that are not necessarily intellectual, but please don't even try to argue that people with any religious affiliation are always on top of their posts... No matter what people believe in, they are capable of waste of space comments. By your comment, you are only throwing gasoline in the fire. Do you think that Jesus would've done that? I have met many atheists who love other people more openly and generously than people of religious backgrounds. Instead of insulting people who are different, love them. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Besides you can always learn so much from people with a different view of life. If you would take the time to get to know some atheists, you would realize that they are not that different from you...

September 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

@really leeroy – Correct, I shouldn't have said that and it was adding to the argument instead of being kind. And I know plenty of atheists, in fact a quite good deal of the people I hang out with are. While it ofcourse does not apply for everyone, the vast majority of my atheist friends are overly selfish, materialistic, and generally unforgiving. They also tend to justify any and all of their inappropriate behavior, never wanting to apologize or act like they are weak. My guess is that those are some traits that are far more common in atheists than believers. But those are just my real life observations, and as i said before, I'm sure they don't hold true to all (but I would guess there's certainly correlation).

September 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Richard

"While it ofcourse does not apply for everyone, the vast majority of my atheist friends are overly selfish, materialistic, and generally unforgiving. They also tend to justify any and all of their inappropriate behavior, never wanting to apologize or act like they are weak."

You're describing most of the Christians I know, they are some of the most greedy self centered people I know. Some of these Christians spew their hatred, don't apologize when they have been deliberately rude and mean to others that don't agree with them. It's the main reason I got turned off by Christianity, their two faced self righteousness was nauseating.

September 19, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
    • Answer

===quote
      David

Christianity is stupid.
      September 19, 2011 at 3:41 pm | | Reply
      ===end

==quote
      leeroyjenkins

September 19, 2011 at 3:44 pm | |
      ==end

Instant knee-jerk reactionary defense. It's way too typical.

@leeroyjenkins

You see your religion being – bashed – you react and defend. With insults. Turning the other cheek never even came into the picture?

September 19, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
  14. Leighton

The problem with ignoring people who spew hate (I do my share of it against the haters.) Is that they take away time that thoughtful people or people who have developed quiet moments and painstakingly read terse important natural physical literature never get the air time to explain something in detail, with nuances with pages based from computations. In a forum like HP it's OK but TV is plummeted to a Brain Waste Dump. Many anchors don't seem to read books of merit at all or ever bring an interesting original line of discussion Matt on Today Show for example with his discussion to Bill Clinton. We actually are having better dialogues as bloggers but it is a mix I am trying to limit myself to having to read a certain amount of time vs when I write.

September 19, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Jose

You dish out hate to those you perceive as haters? Wouldn't that make you one too? I'm confused as to where you are drawing the line...

September 19, 2011 at 3:55 pm |
    • lolwhat

Agree. Ignoring it can allow it to run unchecked. It's not the same as ignoring a toddler having a tantrum so that they'll calm down; it's offering implicit acceptance of the behavior.

September 19, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  15. slupdawg

Love the Foo! Hate the fools! (Phelps, that is) I remember that knucklehead coming into an office supply store I worked at in college many years ago. Creepy.

September 19, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  16. when

Think I'll go enjoy the sunshine and the beautiful pre-Autumn day...a refreshing change from all this hate. Believers, have a blessed day in the Lord and Atheists, have a nice day. WD, just noticed some immature person trolled you. That is so annoying. Best thing to do is ignore it and it will go away.

September 19, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  17. craig

You know...with all respect, and what it comes down to is that 🙂 on the REALISTIC odometer...Christianity, and all the other religions have a 0.0 chance of being legitimate, and I hate to say it, but our species is delusional, and accounts for all the wars and bloody conflicts we see in the news. Religion...is always the reason, and...where is a God in any of it? The answer of course...in the mind...filled with hate...contradicting all purposes, to no end. This world of ours COULD be a truly wonderful place, where there's no need for conflicts, and NOBODY goes to bed hungry (though 80% of us do), but as long as we feed our delusions...the news of war and poverty will remain the same.

September 19, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
    • rkt210

You really should study history. Wars are about power, not religion. Religion is often used as a pretext, but the reason for war remains power.

September 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

You're delusional if you think religion, not man, is the cause of all the problems of our world. Please defend Stalin, Jong Il, and Zedong as atheists and defenders of peace right now.

That's what I thought.......

September 19, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • William Demuth

rkt210

Religion is THE preeminient pursuit of power.

Has been for 3000 years or more.

September 19, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • Flash

leroyjenkins, "You're delusional if you think religion, not man, is the cause of all the problems of our world."

Find me a religion with no humans in it. Religion = man.

September 19, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • leeroyjenkins

@ flash – religion = man??? Haha c'mon man you can do better than that. Fine then, let me spell it out for you;

If there were no such thing as religion, wars would not go away, man would find something else, whether it be natural resources, control, etc. It essenitally comes down to power, which is a pitfall of man, NOT religion. Clear enough?

September 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Jose

Man is always the cause of wars... however, what I think Craig is trying to say is that the issue of religion itself is so polarizing and influential in people's lives that it becomes an easy beacon for people to rally around. Without that beacon, perhaps people would be more thoughtful about the brutal acts of war they are committing. It's far easier to justify war when you believe that it is offering you salvation and that you are fighting for a cause... without religion, perhaps people with half a brain would step away for a moment of self-reflection more often and ask themselves why they are fighting for master manipulator who only want war to improve their own meglomania...

September 19, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Leafonthewind

You call us a delusional species, then go on to talk about war and poverty and hunger. I think you misunderstand humans and our need to believe in something better once this life is over. Life for most people throughout history has been short and difficult, sometimes extremely so. Is it really any wonder that we have a need to believe that there is some purpose to it all? That when this short hard life finally ends, we'll go to someplace better? We think, therefore we need to know, and the unknowable lends itself to many different interpretations. And when one group of people feel their particular interpretation is threatened, it seems only natural that they get their backs up and lash out. I'm an atheist, and I don't think religion is a good thing, but it isn't as simple as calling believers delusional.

September 19, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Flash

leeroyjenkins, "It essenitally comes down to power, which is a pitfall of man, NOT religion."

Agreed. Religion is just another ploy in the power-hungry's a.rsenal. Emotionalistic fantasy scenarios of supernatural blessings, afterlife threats, and divine righteousness rally the troops quite effectively.

No, religion does not cause *all* the problems of the world... but it contributes to them.

September 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • craig

Ha! Religion IS... the ultimate tool of power as it unifies the masses (right or wrong), where the powers that be then use...or more realistically, ABUSE this power for their own agenda. To bring up Stalin, and suggest atheism is what...EVIL? Don't make me laugh. That is incidental, and by comparison a fraction of a fraction in comparison to the bloodshed which the endless assortment of religions have been a havoc to humanity. Sadly...this fact you're willing to defend.

September 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • craig

Hey 🙂 I just know that the majority of people in the world are being TOLD what to believe by Evangelicals who just assume brainwash the poor and impoverished. Believe whatever you want, but within the congregation and population of your religious boundary. Politics has to be a place where compromises are met and bills are passed to keep the infrastructure going, and help in a crisis...and the present crisis is JOBS, and the Republican Congress is being altogether obtuse in an effort to help. The reason: because their two sources of political funding comes from big corporations, (no surprise there), and...the ongoing ability, since Harry Truman...to manipulate the god fearing south as the Party for Christianity...when their true agenda is simply to keep Dixie all red states. Prior to Truman...the south was all 🙂 blue, and Lincoln (a Republican) freed the slaves. That didn't go over too well, and the Republicans (for survival), knew the only way to win an election was to combine religion with politics...hense, the Evangelical explosion. Southerners, out of political manipulation...the oldest con in the book, have sided with Republicans ever since. That's power (in how it was done)...especially since industry in the modern age has kept the south poor, with the exception of major cities. It makes actually no sense, beyond the brainwashing of decades, (a combined political/religious movement) that they don't vote Democrat...with a vengeance. My advice to anyone who holds a religious fate is to see Evangelists and Politicians as...distortions and middle men, interested in what's in your wallet, and how you vote. Stick to your scripture, and be that much closer to your believed faith.

September 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
  18. GeorgeBos95

"You can't preach the Bible without preaching the hatred of God."

That is wrong on so many levels. The Westboro gang is just a bunch of tyranical lunatics. Invoking "the hatred of God" is just old school religion – use fear to keep the sheep in line.

The real sheep are the (baaaaaaaah) Westobor loonies.

September 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • AGuest9

So, that means that you cherry-pick the bible? So, which is real, in your opinion? The Garden of Eden, "The Flood, The Tower of Babel, The Virginity of Mary (who gave birth to five sons and an undisclosed number of daughters.)

September 19, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
  19. Joe

Instead of playing on top of the flatbed, the Foo Fighters should have just run over the Westboro crazies with the truck.

September 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm |
    • lolwhat

Agree

September 19, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  20. DWTT

Down with the trinity – if they beleive in the trinity, they aren't preachin' bible. Not to mention the rest of it. God is for somethings too you know. You don't discipline a child w/o providing the correct action/language, niether did/does the Bible. Foo's. 😀

September 19, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • t-bone

Why is it so hard to just keep your religious views to yourself? Same goes for the Atheists, if everyone just minded their own damned business we wouldnt have these kind of issues.

September 19, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
    • Answer

@t-bone

You really believe that spiel about keeping it to yourself? Then why have you posted?
      Anybody who has that same thought should not even post. Since they have actually followed their own words of wisdom.
      The fact of the matter is you have your opinion and you wanted to be the 'police' force – or the voice of reason.

As sadly as your words are, as well as being deluded, the world is full of opinions. Opinions are the cornerstone of governance. People vote on opinions. Forums with inputs of different views should be tested! The stupidity of stupid opinion should be blasted and then made for others to NOT follow them. If all the world's people turns out to be a bunch of @rses crammed to the brim with stupidity then it would not be a fit place. So either you stop being a dou-che with trying be someone you are clearly not or just follow your own words and don't even post.

September 19, 2011 at 5:05 pm |