home
RSS
My Take: Jesus would support Palestinian statehood bid
The author argues that Jesus was primarily a peacemaker.
September 21st, 2011

My Take: Jesus would support Palestinian statehood bid

Editor's Note: Carl Medearis is an international expert in Arab-American and Muslim-Christian relations and is author of the book Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism.

By Carl Medearis, Special to CNN

This week at the United Nations, Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has promised to ask for recognition of a Palestinian state. If he does, the United States will veto. Why?

Largely because of something we'll call Christian Zionism, an American theological movement that preaches a Christian obligation to help Jews reclaim the biblical Promised Land.

I travel constantly, speaking about the Middle East to evangelical Christians across America and Europe. I lived in Lebanon for 12 years and churches invite me to talk about how to love their Muslim neighbors.

Often before I get invited to speak at churches and Christian conferences, I go through an awkward period of questioning, an interview that feels more like an interrogation.

Pastors and conference leaders want to size me up to make sure I’m “safe” for Christian audiences. The interrogation usually goes something like this:

“Carl, we love your books and your message. You have a lot of insight on how Christians can be more Jesus-like to our Middle Eastern neighbors. We hope you’ll talk a lot about that!”

Translation: Please, for the love of God, don’t say anything controversial about Israel or the Palestinians.

Though they are too polite to ask, what those pastors and conference leaders want to know is what is my position on Israel. For them, the modern Jewish state is a direct fulfillment of Bible prophecy, the catalyst for a series of events that will culminate in the return of Jesus.

As the Palestinians press ahead in their bid for statehood, prepare to hear from this crowd. These Christians number in the tens of millions and they go into a state of frenzy every time a politician so much as winks at the idea of Israel giving up a few settlements or withdrawing to pre-1967 borders.

They’ll tell you their concern has nothing to do with their particular interpretation of the Bible and everything to do with America and Israel’s national security interests.

Don’t believe a word of it.

When it comes to U.S. policy on Israel and the Middle East, Christian Zionism is the elephant in the room.

Christian Zionists believe that when God told Abraham 4,000 years ago, “I will bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you” he was making a promise that extends to the modern state of Israel. Any nation that “curses” Israel will face God’s judgment.

Not all evangelical Christians believe this, but the ones that do are the loudest voices in the media, and they lead huge organizations.

Television evangelists like Pat Robertson and John Hagee mobilize millions of Christians every year to write to their congressmen demanding that Israel be allowed to expand settlements indefinitely. They seem to oppose every peace deal that comes to the table.

There’s a reason for this. In their minds, the modern Israeli state is not only a fulfillment of biblical prophesy. In a bizarre twist that leaves most outsiders dumbfounded, Christian Zionists say the Bible predicts that Jews and Palestinians will forever be at war until Jesus returns.

They say the only person that will bring peace before the end of the age is—wait for it—the devil, in the form of the anti-Christ.

When you hear some Christian politicians say, “The land belongs to Israel”, what they’re really saying is if America blesses Israel – that is, if it gives uncritical support to the Jewish state - God will bless America. If America curses Israel, God will curse America.

When it comes to Israel and her neighbors, many Christian Zionists believe that peacemaking is the devil’s work.

They may forget that it was Jesus who said, “Blessed are the peacemakers."

One of the reasons Jesus was crucified was because of his refusal to embrace a nationalist agenda. But Christian Zionism blesses military action by the modern state of Israel, under the banner of "national security," including the demolition of Palestinian homes to pave the way for new settlements.

So how would Jesus vote this week if he had a seat at the U.N.?

Surely love, compassion, justice and peace-making would top his lists of concerns for all involved. Maybe he would give a new parable - the Parable of the Good Palestinian - offending all who would hear.

Rather than allowing obscure Old Testament promises to dictate our foreign policy, what if we stuck to the clear commands of God - love your neighbor, your enemy and the foreigner in your midst - which appear in Exodus, Leviticus and three of the four gospels.

Many Christians in America think of Jews and Christians as “us” and anything that sounds Muslim or Arab as “the other.” But the call of Jesus is to be more loving towards the “other” than towards the people we think of as “us.”

This command works both ways. When I’ve had audiences with leaders in the Hezbollah or Hamas, I tell them the same thing: That Jesus said to love your enemies. Who are your enemies? Israel.

It’s true that there are elements of Palestinian society that do not want peace, no matter the price. They need to be isolated and dealt with.

The same goes for elements of Israeli society that don’t want peace. The good news is that extremists are a minority on both sides of the conflict.

People ask me all the time what I think about Israel and end-times theology, and how the Palestinians factor into that.
Here’s my answer: If your end-times theology trumps the clear commands in Scripture to love neighbors and enemies, then its time to rethink your theology.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Israel • Opinion

soundoff (1,520 Responses)
  1. Jesus Needs Cash Now ! ! ! And Votes ! ! ! Operators Are Standing By ! ! !

Jesus would do what the author wants him to do. What perfect evidence that gods are made up. Just like G.I Joe or Barbie.

September 21, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

But Jesus doesn't have a Kung-Fu grip.

September 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
    • Jesus

...and who would Santa Claus back? And where would the tooth Fairy stand?

September 21, 2011 at 9:22 pm |
    • oferdesade

the tell here is that the writer talks to leaders of the hizbullah and hamas. i'm sure his intentions are good, but would he also talk to leaders of al qaida? life is not television. extremists are the inority, but the people they kill at the end of the day are dead. killers do not first explain why they are killing you so you can have time to glance at the knife you might defend yourself with. they silently creep up behind you and pull the trigger. the writer, for all his good intentions, is dangerous – maybe not to many people – but they WILL be dead by the time he recollects his thoughts.
      facebook.com/israelinholysee
      Twitter: tinyurl.com/3ucp4kd

September 22, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  2. hippypoet

i don't think jesus should have a say in what anyone does and on that note... i also think they and everyone else should have a place to call home!

September 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Jesus

Jesus, the novel made into a reality series by Emp. Constantine in 330AD at the Council of Nicea. Today there are really dim bulbs that follow such nonsense.

September 21, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Council of Nicea...does anyone actual do their own research and look for the facts on this? Plz ignore the anti-christian pages.

September 22, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
  3. dinak

Since when do Dems care what Jesus would think! This is hilarious!

September 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
  4. Michael

Your article has just enough snippets of facts and truths that enable you to twist them to your own point of view. Absolutely without a doubt we are to love and the fact is anyone who has Christ in them, true Christians, will above all love. God is love and Christ was the love of God hanging on a tree on full display for the world to see. The question though is how is love defined and who gets to be the one to define it? Some people discipline their children out of love, believing they are teaching their child a lesson that will make them better. Still others think almost any form of discipline is an unloving act because it brings pain of sort into the child's life. Which one is truly showing love the one disciplining their child or the one who turns a blind eye to bad behavior hoping it will correct itself trying to spare the child the pain that can be accompanied with discipline?

I assure you that the answers to that will vary from person to person. One side point of view may even have a majority concensus, but especially in defining enigmatic morality type issues, who is still to truly say that the majority is correct? Some would say love is sticking it out no matter what, while others say love is ending a marriage where either one of the two peoples are no longer content in that relationship so that they can look for and hopefully find a what they believe will be a happier more fulfilling life with another mate.

People define love differently. For all of your highminded ideals about love you do not make it clear for the reader how you personally define, or more importantly how you understand and see, the love of God. I believe fully that God loves every single person on the face of this earth, however, He has given it to us as individuals to recieve or reject His love. He will not change who He is because we want to conform to a different way. Per His word there is only one way, which is His only begotten Son hanging on a tree. The Bible is clear that is it ONLY through the only begotten Son that we are made sons (children) of God. Most reject this and will be judged according then to their own choosing...meaning should they choose to think they are good enough with out Christ then their works will be judged to show them clearly that they are not. Some would say a loving God would just accept everyone as they are, while others would see all that God has done and wonder why so many would cling to their own rebellious ways and reject the love of God offered freely in grace through His Son.

For me the problem with love, as you seem to be referring to it, requires to a mutual love (respect) in order to work especially from a societal perspective. I know of not one single Jew or Christian (of course some may exist, but they are by far in the minority) who preaches and teaches that Muslims must be wiped off the face of the map. That the Jews in particular must be completely wiped out, however is a common, though perhaps not all believe it, teaching within the Islamic faith. So long as Palestinians allow these crazed lunatics who believe this to have a strong voice among them, even electing them to office, then yes regardless of all else, I stand 100% behind Israel and 0% for the Palestinians. Even more I support every action of the Israeli military both defensive and preemptive.

Obviously your intent is to make them appear like unrational fools, but if you want group in with the zionist for my beliefs. Call me unloving if you want, many will call God, who is love, hateful because of His refusal to change who He is for their liking. If He is God, and obviously I do believe He is, then I believe it is He, who has the right and authority to soveriegnly determine that which is and that which is not. It is not our enlightened beliefs that reveal to us any understanding of who He is. That can only be found in His word and through His Spirit who reveals truth to us. And I most certainly absolutely whole-heartedly believe that the blood of Christ was shed just as much for Arabs as it was for the Jews. Anyone, regardless of race or color is welcome at the throne of grace and all who come, regardless of race or color, I am overjoyed to call them brother and to know that through Christ I am made one with them.

September 21, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
    • Kudos

Kudos!!!

September 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • Lewis

@Michael

You have articulated the basic tenets of Christian love in the most profound way.
      Thank You!

September 21, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • RFBJR

Michael, wow. I just read your piece and all I can say is amen, amen, amen. Praise the Lord!

September 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Rick

"For me the problem with love, as you seem to be referring to it, requires to a mutual love (respect) in order to work especially from a societal perspective."
      – If you read the gospels, you will find over and over that Jesus instructs us to love those who do not love us. The idea that love must be mutual is not found in the Bible.

"I stand 100% behind Israel and 0% for the Palestinians"
      – Wow, so you would turn your back on the 50,000+ Palestinian Christians? (Who, by the way, are suffering under Israeli oppression as much as the Muslims are. Ever pray for your Palestinian brothers and sisters?)

September 21, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
    • JohnQuest

I think only Religious Zealots can believe two separate, diametrically opposing views at the same time. (Yes the the box is both completely blue and completely brown). If you love the Jews and hate the Palestinians have very little to do with moral rights and wrongs. I agree, if a person or group is attempting to hurt you and yours, you should fight back, but doesn't that apply to both everyone (not just the Jews)?
      Consider the following: It could be argued that the Jews are trying to "Wipe Out" the Palestinians, the longer the status quo is maintained the more the Jewish population grows, the smaller the Palestinian population gets, until the Jewish population surpasses the Palestinians is size. Once that critical mass is reached, Israel can than state that it will allow the Palestinians to be a part of Israel with full rights, so they do not need their on state. That would explain why the peace talks have been dragging on for over 40 years. As I read this situation, Israel does not want peace, it is to their benefit that the status quo is not changed, they will gain it all by doing nothing different for another 20 years or so. I think this is an immoral act, and should not be tolerated by anyone. Maybe because I am a non believer I see things differently, but ask yourself, if the situation was reversed and the Palestinians were occupying land that the Jews were on, and treating the Jews the way the Palestinians are being treated now, how would you feel about? I would feel the same, as I do now, I would be appalled that the Palestinians are treating the Jews in such a cruel immoral way.

September 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

"Some people discipline their children out of love, believing they are teaching their child a lesson that will make them better. Still others think almost any form of discipline is an unloving act because it brings pain of sort into the child's life. Which one is truly showing love the one disciplining their child or the one who turns a blind eye to bad behavior hoping it will correct itself trying to spare the child the pain that can be accompanied with discipline?"

Typical either/or, black/white thinking...It never ceases to amaze me how limited some peoples views are. What responsible parent doesn't teach their children with discipline? Only an idiot like Tom Cruise would do this. The real issue is the biblical interpretation of discipline where "spare the rod, spoil the child" is the rule. A poor lesson is learned when physical pain(corporal punishment) is meted out as a disciplinary tool. How many generations of violent delinquents or fear stricken introverts might we have avoided producing had this "suggestion" been left out of scripture? Children can learn valuable lessons and correct behavior without the need of inflicting physical pain. Having them face the consequences of lost privileges, grounding and timeouts are sufficient for getting the point across that they have misbehaved. Using corporal punishment just reinforces the idea that inflicting violence is sometimes acceptable...it's not.
      And on topic with the conflict between Israel and Palestine a parallel could be drawn here with apartheid in South Africa.
      Since I don't think the Bible is worth the paper it's printed on the claim Jews made for establishing and continuing to invade Palestinian land is clearly fraudulent. Israel is just a big bully.

September 21, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • David Johnson

@Michael

*YAWN* No solid evidence that Jesus ever actually existed.

The Palestinians should have their own country. The Evangelicals just want the Jews to rebuild the temple, so Jesus will return. The Evangelicals call Jews who accept Christ , Perfected Jews. As opposed to God's Chosen People. LOL.

If the Evangelicals became convinced that a temple must instead be built in Mexico, the Jews would be forgotten.

Cheers!

Cheers!

September 21, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • CK

Michael- It is amazing to see that the crusader mentality still exists in people like you " I love people of other religions as long as they are dead". That's why crusaders butchered all people including woman and children when they captured Jarusalem
      The fact of the matter is that small minded religious fanatics like you exists on both sides. Your comments about Islam shows how ignorant you are. Everything you mentioned is based on hearsay. You are just like a stupid imam that says "Christians do not believe in Jesus, they all believe in money and the material aspects of life".

You need to know that Israel will exists as long as it knows how to honor basic human rights and establishes the relationships with its neighbors. It will be wiped out as long as it stands out like a cancer in the region. And the reason ist stand out like a cancer is because of people like you. You and your belief is not part of the solution but part of the problem.

September 21, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • Brother Maynard

"I believe fully that God loves every single person on the face of this earth, however, He has given it to us as individuals to recieve or reject His love. "

So this is the infamous "free will" arguement.
      See there is a problem with this. Couple assumptions first that I think you must agree. God is all knowing ( omniscient ) and all powerful ( omnipotent ).
      God creates mankind God gives mankind free will. God is omniscient so he know that many of his creations ( really a majority of them, only 33% world population claim Christianity as their religion) will not choose his "love". So basically God gave a vehicle to kill ourselves and additionally he know which men will do this. He created us to watch us kill ourselves. This to me is analogous to a parent giving a loaded gun to a 4 year old. What kind of parent would do this. God is a vindictive masochist. Even if this WERE true ( which it is not because there is no god ) I would reject this 'loving' God because he is a flat out jerk ( would use a stronger word ... but would probably get censored )

September 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm |
    • Lee Ann

Michael, I appreciate your perspective, and agree with you. Thanks for your well-written response.

September 21, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • chuck

"That the Jews in particular must be completely wiped out, however is a common, though perhaps not all believe it, teaching within the Islamic faith."

Iran's President said that, but what Islamic clergymen preach that?

September 21, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • Robin Bray

What a long winded loser. How's mom's basement? And jesus, Santa and god are not real.

September 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Maani

"To love and show love, as defined by Christ, does that mean that I no longer can stand up for myself in any way? Do I for instance, if a theif comes and demands everything I have, just give them my house. To be acting in love must I continue to pay the mortgage and utilities bills for them as well? Is there a point in time in which I am ever allowed to stop surrendering everything I have or meeting all of their demands, or does love demand that I live under their feet at all costs? If they want it, then no matter what the cost to myself or anyone else I give it to them otherwise I am not acting in love?"

Let me offer a handful of Scriptural passages in reply:

"Him that taketh away thy cloak forbid not to take thy coat also."

"If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me."

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

Re this last, I see no indication that Jesus was making a suggestion: He was not saying, "You know, it would be really nice if you loved your enemies..." Instead, this was essentially in the form of a "Commandment." In this regard, Jesus did not provide any exceptions, excuses or justifications for acting otherwise.

Finally, in response to your thief, your possessions and bills, etc., keep in mind that, once He began His ministry, Jesus was homeless. Yet here is what he told his disciples:

"Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment? Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?...And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?...For your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things."

For someone whose faith seems remarkably solid – and whose grasp of Scripture and theology is, as most who responded have noted, mostly well-expressed (though you would do well to consider Rick's comment seriously as well) – you seem awfully attached to your possessions, your mortality, and your temporal choice over your spiritual obligations as expressed by the one who we claim as our savior when we self-proclaim as "Christian."

Peace.

September 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  5. Anton LaVey

Jesus is about as relevent to palestine becoming a state as zues is. Are they ready to...I say no based on their violence.

September 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Who is more violent Palestine or Israel? By your logic the US should not be a State, we are more violent than Canada and Mexico combined

September 21, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Jesus

Outlaw all religions in the mideast and you may have peace.

September 21, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
  6. What

Is it true that the State of Israel is smaller than New Jersey?

September 21, 2011 at 1:42 pm |
    • William Demuth

Actually, if you consider the Tristate area as one city, it is the largest Jewish city in the world.

Tel Aviv about 2.4 million, the Tristate about 2.51 million

Based on figures from about 8 years ago

September 21, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Stop

Yes, and it is much smaller now than the Abrahamic covenant! You want to cut this up further? Stop bullying the tiny nation of Israel!

September 21, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
    • William Demuth

Stop

Are you kidding me?

Walk through Sabra and Shatilla and tell me who is bullying who.

Make peace while you can, or sooner rather than later they will drive you into the sea.

September 21, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • BG

Bill.. Sharon tried in '03. All he accomplished was to give Hamas a closer base of operations for missile attack.

Medearis's article here is pure bullshít. He's not only willing to turn a blind eye to the plight of Israel, he's being more than complicit against them in alleging that "Christian Zionism" is the major impediment to peace. No pragmatic person expects or demands that Israel be " ...allowed to expand settlements indefinitely." Blaming evangelical Christians is akin to saying that the cheerleaders were responsible for losing the football game. Nonsense. Madearis is basically castigating American evangelicals as in order to... well, let's face it.. be -allowed- (or simply tolerated) as a Christian in the ME.

Maybe Carl's been over there too long. Evangelical Stockholm Syndrome? Who knows.... But the price he's paid to stay there for so long amounts to nothing more than proverbial blood money.

September 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • William Demuth

BG

I agree some attempt was made, but the deal was NOT consumated.

The rocket ranges are getting longer. Either peace comes or the Israeli's find themselves needing a missle defense shield for Tel Aviv.

I have no dog in this race, but the writing does appear to be on the wall.

Peace may soon be the last and Best option for all involved.

September 21, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • BG

"but the deal was NOT consumated [sic]."
      Proposed in '03, finished in '05. What are you referring to?

"The rocket ranges are getting longer."
      Shorter. Anyway, soon "range " will be immaterial and secondary to payload.

"...Israeli's find themselves needing a missle defense shield for Tel Aviv."
      They have several. The U.S. sold them the Patriot, Vulcan-Phalanx, and other intercept systems.

".. the writing does appear to be on the wall."
      For what?

" Peace may soon be the last and Best option for all involved."
      Peace has always been the only viable option.

September 21, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
  7. Westboro family

Guys, uncle Carl has opened up his house for us to move in, he has some new enlightenment about what Peace is all about.
    Uncle Carl here we come!!!!!

September 21, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
  8. RFBJR

Carl, the reason that the State of Isreal was created stems from a little known event called the Holocaust. The land was controlled by Britain and established soon after World War II ended. The very day after the State of Israel was created, it was invaded by the surrounding Arab nations. Of course, the Arabs lost that war and have since been the aggressor. Oh, and another thing, regardless of what you think about Christian Zionism, the facts are that the Bible did predict the re-establishment of Israel and low and behold, it happened. Consider that. Think about that. Maybe there is some merit in that old book.

September 21, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • William Demuth

Huh?

Nice attempt to rewrite history.

Zionisim started half a century before the holocaust (Around 1884 or so(From memory)), and MANY modern Jews do not support it.

September 21, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

The move to what is now Israel did happen much earlier than just the 1930-50 timeframe. Not to mention that Jewish ppl have lived in Israel for a long long time before. But the events of Shoah did help a little.

September 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
  9. William Demuth

In some strange ways, I find Jesus to be the most rational of bibliclal characters. (Lots of the OT guys were probably more crazy than todays serial killers!)

In many ways I suspect he was a true supporter of the seperation of church and state.

His render onto Ceaser commnets seeming to me to draw a defining line between secular and thiestic authority

Based on that, I actually believe he would NOT have involved himself.

September 21, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
    • J.W

Actually my denomination does believe that. We think that everything went wrong once the church and the state got involved with each other. I am sure there were some corrupt rulers that Jesus could have spoken out against, but he never did that.

September 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • William Demuth

J.W

Now if you get past the whole Jesus was a physical representation of an immortal super being, I might even welcome you to modernity!

I guess if there are degrees of crazy, then you are less crazy than many!

September 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
  10. Lebanese Dude

SOOOOOOOO right on, Carl!!! I TOTALLY agree with every single word you said..! It resonates with the Spirit of God in me, and it should resonate with every CHRISTIAN's spirit and soul as well – that is if they are TRULY Christian and have the FATHER's heart for both Jews and Gentiles!

I would just add to your sentence "Many Christians in America think of Jews and Christians as “us” and anything that sounds Muslim or Arab as “the other;” that if America really thought of the Christians as "us," then they should support their BROTHERS and SISTERS in Christ in the Arab world too (like the thousands in Lebanon, Iraq, Jordan...) and do their best to KEEP them in the messed up area to be light rather than, through their blind pro-Israel policies, cause the Christians there to be fed up with war and tension and LEAVE the area, leaving it more and more to extremists to be in control of! Is that what the West wants? depleting the area of Christians rather than the opposite??!

September 21, 2011 at 1:23 pm |
    • William Demuth

I have always felt sorry for your country.

My best freind was killed in a bombing there several decades ago, and I have always thought how great of a place if you could put the religion behind you.

The tourisim alone could make your country filty rich!

September 21, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
  11. mrkusn

I am a Jewish-Christian (messianic Jew) who is not a Christian Zionist believe it or not. I support a two-state solution. The article paints a slanted view of Christian Zionism and gives it way too much credit. There are a growing number of Israelis who support a two-state solution without interference from Christian Zionists. And BTW, if you are a Christian Zionist, please stop aiding the Israeli government with millions of dollars in contributions. This is unhelpful. There will never be a blank check given for the kind of violence from Hamas nor disproportionate Israeli responses where civilians are killed. However, since the opening up of the border from Egypt-Gaza look at the rocket attacks into Israel. Guess who started this latest round? Again?

September 21, 2011 at 1:21 pm |
    • Keith

disproportionate response? The retaliation should be so severe that the palestinians would wince at the thought of even trying to do it again. Make the cost so high, then they will think twice about paying it. Proportionate response is illogical.

September 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Keith

Do you think it was a disproportionate response when we fire-bombed Dresden? Or Tokyo? We'd still be fighting WWll if we went with such a stupid policy.

September 22, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  12. Keith

Just what Jesus is the author writing? God gave the Jews this land-the boundaries of which they have not yet realized. It is the Covenant Land. If Jesus and the Father are one, then why would Jesus go against himself? The author has created a "Jesus" to suit his own wants-that's idolatry. There will be no "palestinians" after the next war, the Psalm 83 war which is not far off.

September 21, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • Keith

Where does cnn come up with these "authors" who are supposed experts? Experts at what? Their knowledge of the scriptures is very limited.

September 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
    • William Demuth

Keith

I am not sure, but did you just threaten genocide against the Palestinians?

September 21, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Jimmy

The Psalm 83 war? Seriously? I am much more concerned with people who are completely out of their mind as you and the religious zealots in Washington clearly are. There is no such thing as Heaven or Hell but I wish there was because you would find yourself in the latter when your time comes.

September 21, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Keith

Did either of you two read the Psalm? If so, did you understand it? When this war is done Israel's nearby neighbors will be gone. And the whole world will know that God was responsible for the victory.

September 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  13. JohnR

No one can know and no one should care.

September 21, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  14. William Demuth

Ah! Use the Christian God to beat the Jews?

Perhaps he might want vengance for his Crucifiction?

The stupidity continues, using imaginary charachters to influence real politics?

Would Darth Vader want to invade North Korea?
    Would My Little Pony support Chechen independence?
    Would the Incredible Hulk get vacinatedd for HPV?
    Would Apollo want to colonize Mercury?
    Would Dracula want gays to donate to the blood bank?

September 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
    • DamianKnight

Would Darth Vader want to invade North Korea? - Yes! Because Vader was about controlling the entire galaxy.
      Would My Little Pony support Chechen independence? – Nah, too busy playing with rainbows.
      Would the Incredible Hulk get vacinatedd for HPV? – No, needles make him angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
      Would Apollo want to colonize Mercury? – No, because Apollo was a Sun God. I think if he landed his chariot it would burn up the planet.
      Would Dracula want gays to donate to the blood bank? – Probably. Greater the blood supply, the less he needs to worry about where he's going to get his next meal.

September 21, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
    • David Johnson

@William Demuth

You said: "I would laugh, if these lunatics did have a real shot at a war that might end all human life!"

Yep. I stay awake nights worrying about self-fulfilling prophesies. Or, what if you give a nuclear war and Jesus doesn't RSVP? *sigh*

It's 3:00 A.M. and the phone in the White House is ringing. Do you want any of the religious nuts to answer it? Bachmann? Perry? Romney?

September 21, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • William Demuth

David Johnson

Exactly.

Jesus PROMISED the Armagedeon, and they will damn well have it.

I have nighmares about my son dying in a religious war. It is becoming far to "real' of a possibility.

September 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  15. Jerusalem

Mr Carl, I want to put a tent in your backyard. Make sure you have the plumbing and everything is ready for me as well.Just quoting your parable.

September 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
    • Talk

Did I hear you talk about a warranty deed? that is old, this is New. Also please make sure the cable is ready for service.

September 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  16. Yoda

victory...victory you say? master obi-wan...not victory. the shroud of the darkside has fallen...begun the clone war has.

September 21, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  17. Tarek

Very well written Sir. What you have wrote about is completely true to the last word regarding Christian Zionist preventing a Palestinian state hood. It would be a true miracle is Palestine has their own state hood, and allow their neighbors Palestinians to live in harmony instead of blood shed day in day out. Peace!

September 21, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

I have to disagree. There are many reasons that the Pal. are not ready. They have two govts. One ran by a terror group. They have no capitol. They do not have the means to send out ambassadors to the other UN nations. They do not recognize the nation they share the most border with....Israel.

September 21, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • William Demuth

Actually, they have recognized Israel and its right to exist on two seperate occasions I can recall, once with Clinton on the stage!

It is the Jewish nature of the State they reject.

September 21, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Jimmy

Agreed.

September 21, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

"It is the Jewish nature of the State they reject."

Might as well say they don't think it should exist then at all.

"Senior Palestine Liberation Organization official Yasser Abed Rabbo said..that the Palestinians will be willing to recognize the State of Israel in any way that it desires,.." (Oct 2010)

"We agree to a (Palestinian) state on pre-67 borders, with Jerusalem as its capital with genuine sovereignty without settlements but without recognising Israel." (Hamas Leader Khaled Mashaal April 2008)

September 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • William Demuth

Why is it that one who claims the US is a white or Christian nation is laughed out or called a bigot, but when an Israeli discusses the "Jewish Nature" of Israel, no one challenges them.

Saying your country MUST have a certain religious ID is inherently racist and discriminatory.

September 22, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

One difference is that when Israel says it's nature is Jewish...they aren't kicking out those that are not or making them second class citizens. When most refer to the US as a Christian or white nation...they usually are implying that they will do things to keep it so.

September 22, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
  18. Michael

Thank you for clearly, thoughtfully expressing the dangers of Christian Zionism. Well done.

September 21, 2011 at 12:37 pm |
  19. J.W

I think Jesus would promote having a peaceful settlement between the two. They just need to be willing to do that. I do not think Jesus would care if Israel has more land. He would want everyone living in peace.

September 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm |