home
RSS
Doomsdays throughout time
September 23rd, 2011

Novel explores ‘The Leftovers’ after the Rapture

By Todd Leopold, CNN

(CNN) - Stories of the Rapture usually come accompanied with the operatic drama of bright lights, doomy thunder and the echoing hoofbeats of the Four Horsemen as the world awaits the inevitable apocalypse.

Author Tom Perrotta prefers a little quiet.

In his new novel “The Leftovers” (St. Martin’s), the bestselling author of “Little Children” and “Election” follows a group left behind after something called the “Sudden Departure,” a Rapture-like event in which millions of people suddenly vanished like smoke.

Kevin Garvey is the mayor of Mapleton; his family was left physically intact but psychologically frayed. Nora Durst, on the other hand, lost her husband and children and still hasn’t recovered.

Some characters retreat into cult-like groups. One group, the Guilty Remnant, haunts the living and awaits the end; another, the Holy Wayners, is led by a charismatic hugger who loses his bearings.

Author Tom Perrotta.

Then there’s a local preacher, Matt Jamison, who insists that what happened couldn’t be the Rapture because it claimed flawed humans of all faiths and ethnicities. “I should’ve been first in line,” he insists, while compiling dossiers of the departed’s faults.

Listen to a clip of the audiobook, courtesy Macmillan Audio:

Perrotta talked to CNN about the book, his own faith and putting himself in others’ shoes. Here’s an edited transcript of the interview.

You grew up a Catholic. Are you religious?

I’m not religious but am extremely interested in religion. I went through a brief phase of being intensely religious as a kid, but by the time I was maybe 13 or 14, religion no longer played a big part in my life.

One of the things I’ve been fascinated by the more I’ve delved into evangelical culture is how consuming a religious commitment is. I grew up where it was one part of life – it didn’t pervade your entire existence.

Your last couple of books have had religious themes. Why are you so interested in the subject?

I approached [my previous book] “The Abstinence Teacher” through a political lens. I was really interested in the American culture war, which five or six years ago was a kind of consuming part of the political landscape.

I remember that feeling around George W. Bush’s reelection was the sense that the election was going to hinge on people’s views about gay marriage in Ohio.

And here I was living in Massachusetts, gay marriage was legal, people I knew had no problem, the sky hadn’t fallen – and I remember this as a constant question people were posing: Who are these devout Christians? And I thought it was one of the jobs of the novelist is to know who their fellow citizens are.

So I approached it from there and tried to immerse myself in the Bible and Christian culture and follow this one character’s journey from the inside.

Did that lead to “The Leftovers?”

In the course of a lot of reading I kept bumping up against this end times Rapture scenario. And this is not something Catholics buy into. I think I didn’t even hear about it until college. I was reading a book about fundamentalist religion in Texas when I first heard of the Rapture. It was such an amazing image, and such a poetic image, that it stuck with me all these years.

Another point was, I was very taken with the specificity of the scenario. The Rapture would happen, I would presumably be left behind and there would be a seven-year period of tribulation for Jesus’ second coming and the millennium.

And I kept thinking, “Seven years is a long time.” Especially in this culture.

So one of my thoughts was maybe three or four years in, some people would have forgotten. And other people would be, rightly, just focused on the past and on remembering and making sense of this big thing that happened. And I felt that, in this little joke I made to myself – seven years later, nobody would remember – was some truth about these human impulses. One is to remember and make sense, and the other is to forget and move on.

So that’s really what this book is about. It’s not a theological argument with apocalyptic theology. It’s a book about how we remember, how we forget, how we move on. It’s also about the way that trauma inspires intensely religious reactions.

Why is it so hard for us to let go, to enjoy life? Is it our deep-seated religious guilt that prompts these evangelical movements?

I don’t know. I think most of us set ourselves on a path, and we don’t like to get knocked off. I think that’s why the story of St. Paul is such a great one – that you have to get hit by lightning to change. I think a lot of us feel that we have a life that we like, and adding anything that intrudes on that is a problem.

I still have this vivid memory of 9/11 – I was writing a story for this magazine in New York. I was working closely with this editor and I got the news and I e-mailed, “Are you OK?” He e-mailed back, “Fine here. Where’s that rewrite?” It was like, I’m going to pretend this didn’t happen.

Do you have a sympathy for people who think we’re in the end times?

I’m sympathetic with the need for clarity – who we are, what we’re doing, where we’re going to go, what death means. What I’m not so sympathetic with is that sense that some of us are going to get rewarded and lots of other people are going to get punished.

To the extent that somebody takes pleasure in that, that’s a problem for me, in the same way someone might welcome a war in the Middle East because that signals some movement toward the end times.

Seems kind of selfish...

And I’m no expert on Christianity, but one of the interesting things about Jesus is how he constantly works against anyone’s assumption of moral superiority. So Christians who assert moral superiority and certitude about their own election will always seem to be in some sense setting themselves up for a fall, because Jesus was always uncomfortable with people who did that.

Did writing this change any of your thoughts about the Rapture?

The reason it has so much power to me is that it’s such an amazing metaphor for the way life is. As we get older people start disappearing from our lives. That, to me, was the leap that made the book possible. We are all left behind. We’re not left behind in the way the end times scenario envisions, but we’re all living with the absences of all kinds of people – not just people we loved, but people who sat next to us in school or worked across the hall. But we keep going, because that’s what we have to do.

What’s your vision of God? Do you have one?

I don’t, though it’s hard for me to believe in a God who’s personally interested in the fates of every one of us, because the fates of so many innocents are so terrible. I know there are theologians who will explain that away to me, but it never sticks.

But you do believe in God?

I consider myself agnostic because I’m never quite comfortable with a story that says we’re some accidental combination of gases and all this emerged. I guess I haven’t heard the story yet that makes complete sense to me, from scientists or religious people.

Have you gotten any personal e-mails or letters about "The Leftovers?"

I’ve just started to get a few people who say they’re praying for me. I think there are going to be some people who are going to see the cover, see the name, see the Rapture and assume that this is, in effect, Christian fiction.

Religion feels like it clearly came out of a world – it was a tribal world, it was a local world. If you think about a world in which there was fire or calamity or flood, that’s our everyday world. And that was part of it. It’s always end times in a global, media-connected world.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Books • Christianity • End times

1. Fact

The disease in secular mind = unconditional self-affirmation
    They desire godless autonomy rain or shine; God will grant their own wish at the end.
    There is absolute fairness in this world.

September 25, 2011 at 4:09 am |
  2. Facts on These Fiction Works

Practically the Rapture doesn't matters to non-believers. Not at all. They should worry about the subsequent planetary calamities because the doomsday will happen as they anticipate it. These authors are just like Ja-panese animation makers; they don't care about anything but just like making strange stories with big vocabs found in Revelation and other books in the Bible to make their work somehow "sacred" and heavy. In short, they don't have fresh story ideas. They should repent rather than writing their trashy, useless imaginations that help no one but only promote further perversion and pollution of mind. These creators and authors only promote godless self-affirmation if not meaningless sickness, nothing else.

September 25, 2011 at 4:04 am |
    • Smite Them

"trashy, useless imaginations that help no one but only promote further perversion and pollution of mind."

Precisely how I would describe the author of "Revelation"... in addition to being stark, staring mad.

September 25, 2011 at 4:10 am |
  3. DAK

Leftovers? It's what's for dinner...

September 25, 2011 at 2:24 am |
  4. Scared Teddy

So I was thinking about getting one of them rapture cards from getrapturecertified. I don't know how it could possibly work, but for $7 it seems like it would be worth gettin. I kind of sees like it insurance. You pay and pay and you don't normally get crap, but every once in a while, you actually may need it and than life is good. maybe the same with this rapture card. I went ahead and got one as I would feel real extra stupid if I got left behind because I was too cheep to spend $7.

If that card don't work, does anyone have any recommendations for having a post rapture survival kit? I live in Florida and am used to being prepared for the big hurricanes. I came up with this list of post-rapture survival kit, ya'll let me know if I missed anything:

Multi-vitamins, Vitamin A, C
    Iodine to make water potable
    Multi-purpose disinfectants
    Gold
    multi-tool knife, 2-3 handguns, rifle, ammo,Trident, Sword, handsaw, fire starter, fishing kit, light, mirror for signaling
    Canned food – enough for 18 months
    Regular Bible and bible in braille
    VHS and DVD copies of Red Dawn
    gasmask, sealed googles

September 25, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • Plano Pete

pretty comprehensive, but lyou completely left out transport. Bikes, cars, atvs, motorcycles, whatever, but you need some wheels dude. I will have a 4×4, dirtbike, and an old stationwagon. For the 4×4 and dirtbike, I am hoarding gasoline. I am converting the station wagon to bio-diesel and am stock piling Crisco. You gotta keep your options open as nobody knows what will happen after the rapture. By the way, I wouldn't count on that rapture card. Seem to good to be true.

September 25, 2011 at 2:55 am |
    • Denny Dale

Teddy, you have no reason to worry. The Rapture Card has been approved by Heaven.

I don't really specialize in post-Rapture stuff, for obvious reasons, but duct tape, aluminum foil, and pretty much anything that McGuyver used

Plano Pete, the Rapture Card is real and works.

September 25, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  5. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

herbert juarez is gay.

September 24, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Freddy

It's gay to call someone gay, dude!

September 25, 2011 at 12:02 am |
    • ಠ_ಠ

Are you fucking kidding me?

Tom, quit sounding like an idjit and find something intelligent to say. And quit fapping over having someone to stalk. Jeez.

September 25, 2011 at 12:39 am |
    • DAK

The USMC is gay... but they are also bloodthirsty imperialists.

September 25, 2011 at 2:30 am |
    • herbert juarez

Tom tom appears to have a head that is more suited to being a hat rack than as an instrument to contain intelligence.My apologies to honest,good serving hat racks everywhere.God bless

September 25, 2011 at 6:41 am |
  6. leecherius

Why , if the law of entropy holds true , and everything gradually decays to a lesser state , is life constantly becoming more and more complex. Shouldn't that work the other way and devolve. Seems all elements would want to gravitate toward becoming hydrogen. Obviously this is not the case. If matter is neither created nor destroyed only changed , then you , I , and everything everywhere have always existed and will always exist , albeit in another form. Please reconcile this if you can. Just curious.

September 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
    • Warpman

Obviously if this WERE the case then the whole idea of entropy would not be a valid concept and would have been relegated to the bin containing the luminiferous ether. The explanation is that the increase in net local entropy is maintained because the loss of entropy associated with organized life is more-than-compensated for by the gain in entropy that occurs in the transfer of energy that has helped create that life (eg., the burning of the sun). I think your last sentence is correct.

September 24, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • CatS

Try Chaos Theory. It explains reality a bit better.

September 24, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
    • Denny Dale

The theologians at getrapturecertified.com are entropy physicists who have devised the true path to meeting God. Visit getrapturecertified.com

September 25, 2011 at 12:25 am |
    • John Richardson

The molcules in your body are recycled constantly, and quite rapidly. So they aren't "you". So no, you haven't existed forever.

September 25, 2011 at 3:47 am |
  7. Warpman

Everyone knows all superheroes are Jewish.

September 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • Free

Most of the early New York writers were either Jewish or Catholic, but they tended to make their characters white-bread Episcopalians for sales purposes.

September 25, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • Denny Dale

Jesus is THE suoerhero and the only way to meet him is to get backstage pass to the Rapture. Get Rapture Certified to guarantee your place in Heaven. Get a Rapture Card now! Visit getrapturecertified.com

September 25, 2011 at 12:22 am |
    • Thurdstein

A first-issue of Matzo-Man is worth millions!

September 25, 2011 at 12:42 am |
  8. oneone

How unfortunate that many people buy into a belief system that has them anxiously hoping for the end of the world.

September 24, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
  9. Bonwell

Bad theology. Lack of understanding of God and his word. Just as God kept Israel through the plagues of Egypt, so will he do so with the church during what is referred to as the 7 year tribulation period. Revelation 20:4-6 makes it clear when the rapture occurs.

September 24, 2011 at 9:31 pm |
  10. martinipaul

I believe the atheists who return to this blog time and again are still seeking God. Unfortunately, all the proof I have is my faith. Which is not enough. I have witnessed in good faith. Which is enough. See you on the dark side of the moon --

September 24, 2011 at 5:21 pm |
    • *frank*

I cordially assure you: you could not be more wrong.

September 24, 2011 at 5:28 pm |
    • Free

Considering just how many regular posters here are, in fact, atheists, isn't it just as likely that the believers who return here are searching for reasons not to hold onto the belief in God?

September 24, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
    • Nicholas

Elitism? Joining the spiritual elect through special knowledge possessed by only the few? Isn't this that most ancient of heresies, gnosticism? Somehow, people tend to drift in that direction.

September 24, 2011 at 5:34 pm |
    • martinipaul

Then I am right. You are only here for the pleasure of bashing. Pretty pathetic waste of the short time you have left.

September 24, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Nope...we're not seeking God. Even if he turned out to be real we wouldn't want anything to do with him based on his track record. The only thing we seek are confirmed truths. For instance just a few days ago scientists claimed to have observed a neutrino travel faster than the speed of light. Do I believe it? Well let's just say that I place this claim in the same category as an earlier claim of the discovery of cold fusion. I withhold deciding until it has been confirmed by repeatable results and accepted peer review. After all something that exceeds the cosmic speed limit is supposed to be impossible and is a VERY big deal if true.

September 24, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • martinipaul

Steve: you are an honest men. You openly reject God even if He exists. I respect that. In regard to that neutrino deal -
      you must not have much of a life. Try to get out more.

September 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

To each his own. You spend your time trying to prepare for a hoped for afterlife. I spend mine on a path of discovery. The universe is a far more wondrous and awe inspiring place than the small view presented in your Bible. In the words of Carl Sagan "We are all made of star stuff and mankind is the universe become aware of itself."

September 24, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • tallulah13

Nope. Sorry. God would have to really put on a show to make me believe, and even if there is a god, it would be a miracle (pardon the expression) if it were the christian god. I come here because I like to know what other people are thinking. Frankly, some of you christians are slightly pathetic, while others are downright scary.

September 24, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • martinipaul

Steve: who said my world is encompassed only by the Bible. If God exists then He is responsible for science. If God is not afraid of science, why should I be? I know about the neutrino. Not supposed to happen, is it? I can appreciate what God has created on different levels, not just one. Atheists have no exclusive rights to the enjoyment of the concrete world. Man, what if einstein was wrong!!!!

September 24, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

I doubt Einsteins entire body of work will end up in the trash can. General and Special Relativity are sound models of the way the universe works, but likely a new "exception" to the rule may have to be added. The exciting part would be what new discoveries this might reveal.

September 24, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
    • John Richardson

Yeah, why not assume that believers come here seeking assurance that their world won't end if they put their faith in silly ancient lore backed up by logical fallacies?

September 24, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
    • John Richardson

Re Einstein: In one of my college astronomy classes (astronomy was my natural science distribution requirement), we studied tachyons, ie hypothetical particles that travel more slowly the more energy put into them and whose LOWEST possible speed is the speed of light. I took this class in the mid-70s. So there have been models of possible "greater than light" speeds for quite awhile. But what's odd about the neutrino experiment is that if they exceeded light speed at all, they just, just barely did. Which does make one wonder whether there wasn't experimental error of some sort after all. But it's fascinating either way, for either way, we will learn something about the world. And that is something you can't do listening to self-abosrbed, judgmental putzes "witnessing".

September 24, 2011 at 7:29 pm |
    • John Richardson

It seems as though some Christians come on here expecting non-believers to immediately fall to their knees and proclaim "I see the light! Jesus is lord!" and go into a real funk, like the ones Bo and martinipaul have exhibited, when their absurd expectations aren't met.

September 24, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

True what you said about tachyons John. Apparently they measured the neutrino arrive 60 nanoseconds early with an experimental error of just 10 nanoseconds. I want to see them repeat and verify the results before I think it's real. Also only 2 other facilities on earth are capable of running the experiment. I would be interested to see what scientists think are the implications.

September 24, 2011 at 7:41 pm |
    • martinipaul

John: glad you are here! You are free to assume what you please. The atheist posts on this article alone assumes that I am: arrogant, a pervert, stupid, ignorant, brain dead, mentally ill, not bright, a hypocrite, uneducated, a sheep, an idiot, and afraid. I gleefully admit all these assumptions are true. Oh, and putz. Though I don't know what that is and so shall 'assume' the worst. For years, I was a research specialist for a global corp. I have no fear of science. I embrace it! But it is not the only lens through which I look at life. After all, if einstein could not prove that God does not exist, who can? If you consider faith and science a contradiction - who cares?

September 24, 2011 at 7:42 pm |
    • John Richardson

@AtheistSteve Yes, if there was experimental error, it would have had to have been something outside of "normal" experimental error, ie someone had to have screwed something up. It wouldn't be the first time. But I'm quite open to this being a real and genuinely interesting exception. Will be cool to see how this all plays out!

September 24, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • John Richardson

@martinipaul Yes, and non-believers are regularly called immoral, destined for damnation, blind, angry, unhappy, dishonest, credulous (re science, esp evolution and the big bang), the cause the supposed decline of civilization and on and on and on. Both believers and non-believers have given and received a lot of abuse around here and both believers and non-believers have strayed over the lines of decency. But ONLY believers write posts, and they are quite frequent, wondering aloud why non-believers don't just go away.

September 24, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • martinipaul

John: true, true. As long as we understand each other. But, I am so excited! Somebody actually called me a putz! This is a badge of honor. Truly. When I first got on this belief blog deal, I thought it was for real. I got angry at times. Then, I realized what was going on! What a real delight! See, I know you guys. I know who you are. Fun times! Gotta go. Truffles!

September 24, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • John Richardson

@martinipaul FWIW, I don't consider science and spirituality mutually contradictory and indeed have found some inspiration for my own neo-animist beliefs in science. Einstein was either a pantheist or some sort of deist. I really, really don't "get" the pantheist idea of the universe AS god. Maybe they are on to something, maybe they are just atheists with a better than normal sense of wonder, Hard to say. I am not totally averse to a deistic "uncaused cause" of everything as some sort of impersonal divinity, but I must say that it really annoys my sense of parsimony to posit something as elaborate and mysterious as even a non-personal god just because you can't handle purely physical cosmology. The deeply mysterious "explained" by the totally baffling??? But when you come to the standard "text" religions, both east and west, no, those are stories told by ancient, quite intelligent but also seriously ignorant people. I cannot take them seriously.

September 24, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • John Richardson

@martinipaul I didn't strictly speaking call YOU a putz. I spoke of how you can't learn anything about the world by listening to some putz witnessing. But if you have decided that the shoe fits, hey, slip it on! 😀

September 24, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Sam Harris

Martinipaul: The reason atheists come here is mostly due to a human being's instinct to "rubberneck." Much like slowing down your vehicle to witness a gruesome car accident, there is a perverse thrill in witnessing grown adults professing their belief in Cosmic Tinkerbell.

Idiots do give great entertainment value.

September 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
    • John Stanley

Einstein was certainly right about there being an equal reaction to all actions. Just read the posts in this forum.

September 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

@ John
      Yes very cool if true.
      @ martinpaul
      I wouldn't presume to question your intelligence. It's just that being a once believer myself I'm confused at how you can continue to cling to your faith. Plagued with doubts after coming to the realization that the material world doesn't function the way events in the Bible played out. Science provided answers to real questions without appealing to divine intervention. Closer study of the Bible only reinforced how messed up it is. Supernatural or metaphysical manifestations defy logic and didn't appear to exist and resorting to belief on faith alone seemed hallow and dishonest. I ended up on a one way path of no return without abandoning a desire to only believe in things that were demonstrably true. Belief in a God was relegated to being merely conceptual. Eventually even that diminished to one of extremely low probability. Throughout I battled a fear of ending up in hell until the realization that playing on my fears was the very thing that religion does to entrap it followers. I am no longer afraid, the shackles have been removed. Shed are the ideas that the universe was created for a reason, that mankind was placed here for a purpose and that life has inherent meaning beyond that which we make for ourselves.
      So while I don't think you incapable of rational thought, I do feel you've allowed yourself to be duped.

September 24, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • martinipaul

Last post. John/Steve. Love you guys! Gave me some things for thought. We could get along! Truffles.

September 24, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, well, martinpaul, I guess everyone believes something. I believe I'll have another glass of fine French wine.

I don't much care what you believe, as it's probably hogwash.

September 24, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • steveinmo

Martinipaul,
      Don't know if you've been Saved or not, but I would like to take the time to politely correct something you said. You say our Faith is not enough. Actually, our Faith is all we have and our Testimony the Lord gives us when He Saves our soul is all we need. It's up to those we meet and talk with to choose, but not up to us to convince them. Let the Lord do the work.

September 24, 2011 at 11:06 pm |
  11. Lenny Pincus

Hmmm. All I know is the Bible seems a lot more interested in gluttony than any other sin. Since America is now 33% obese, I'd say that's the real reason for God's ill will. When the Rapture comes, God's not going to get a rupture lifting someone up, if you know what I mean.

September 24, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
    • Free

If you were to poll anti-American sentiment worldwide you'd probable see that our gluttony ranks top of the reasons why we are so hated as well. Surely, Jesus would disapprove of his modern, overweight, wasteful, material-minded followers, right?

September 24, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • *frank*

Chicken-fried steak and biscuits & gravy are linked to belief in bipolar jewish ghosts and domestic violence. Scientifically verified by science!

September 24, 2011 at 5:46 pm |
  12. Pastor Mike Palevo

Left Behind, Rapture, End of the World, Cosmic Calamities, etc. are a product of Carnal Christians of our past. Edward Ervin, Margaret McDonald, John Darby, C.I. Sofield, Clarence Larkin, etc. have produced what I call Christian Science Fiction! When will people put down their Christian Comic Books, and learn to rightly divide the Word of God.
    MPalevo@comcast.net

September 24, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
    • Free

Wanting to be saved by an all-powerful hero swooping down from the clouds is a uniquely American fantasy. After all, we invented Superman, right?

September 24, 2011 at 5:15 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Actually superman was inspired by Christianity.God bless

September 24, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • tallulah13

Well that would explain why Superman is the most boring superhero. Give me Spiderman, any day.

September 24, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

Actually Superman was created by a Canadian.

September 24, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
    • herbert juarez

That's an S on his chest not an A,eh.God bless

September 24, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
    • herbert juarez

Actually the spiderman was and is a Christian.God bless

September 24, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • tallulah13

Really, herbie? Do you know Spiderman? Do you talk to him often? Did you meet him the same time you met Jesus?

September 24, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
    • John Richardson

If Green Lantern turns out to be a Jehovah's Witness, I'll hafta admit I'll be bummed. Seventh Day Adventist I could deal with ...

September 24, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • steveinmo

Fiction – very well put Pastor Mike. I've tried watching and reading some of those fictions, and it weighs heavily on my heart seeing what some are being taught. Once the Lord comes back for His Church, there is no hope for those left behind. Just as it says, "Men will seek death, and death will flee from them" – meaning not just physical death to escape the punishment at the hands of the Devil in this world. It more importantly means there will be no more hope of Salvation or Redemption for those left (dying that first death to escape the second death). I truly hope those who write, publish, and produce films of these "stories" would work out their own Salvations first so there might be at least a grain of truth in what they produce.

September 24, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • Free

The most devout deist amongst the DC heros is Wonder Woman, but she can actually see, talk, and fight the Greek gods she worships. Batman is at least a huge skeptic, if not an outright atheist.

September 24, 2011 at 11:39 pm |
    • Free

Here's a list of superhero religious affiliation, but I'm not sure how accurate it really is. Enjoy!

September 24, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • herbert juarez

@tallulah
      I knew you'd miss the" the"and misinterpret the entire comment! God bless

September 25, 2011 at 6:11 am |
    • herbert juarez

green lantern=non practicing catholic,leaning towards neo reformed druid.God bless

September 25, 2011 at 6:13 am |
    • John Richardson

Hmmmm. Non-practicing catholic leaning towards neo-reformed druid? Yeah, I can deal with that! 😀

September 25, 2011 at 9:50 am |
    • herbert juarez

The "oaks" on you then.God bless

September 25, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
  13. joe

Love to read about the religious people who arent really saved..It is though Jesus Christ only can you be saved.

September 24, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Free

Does that include Catholics, Orthodox, and other Christians, or just the elite?

September 24, 2011 at 5:18 pm |
    • steveinmo

@ Free – it means anyone can be Saved, anywhere. I was Saved standing in my driveway before leaving for work. Nobody was there but me and the hand of the Lord when He reached down and Saved me. I hadn't been going to Church for a long time.

If we listen, He will lead us to where He wants us. Even Charlie Manson, if he wanted, could still be Saved, and the Lord would do it if all the right conditions are met, but who are we to know what's in Manson's heart from one day to the next. That's the same hope I hold out for everyday for my own Dad, who's been troubled and running from the Lord for 60+ years. That hope, my prayers, and my Testimony are all I have. And I pray you know or come to know the same Jesus and Salvation I know.

September 24, 2011 at 11:19 pm |

steveinmo
      No, what I meant was, can any Christian be 'saved' without having to buy into the whole evangelical, rapture-ready thing?

Could Satan still be saved?

And I hope that you see the actual light some day. 🙂

September 24, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • steveinmo

Free, I believe anyone can be Saved, and pretty sure I've met some through my life that were Saved, and had never heard the gospel preached to them before, nor gave any consideration. It's not for us to question the mind of God.

Now, last statement said, to answer your question can the Devil still be Saved? I have to say no – but we get into predestination here. If there were a chance, wouldn't the Lord have put it in writing, instead of stating as fact that the Devil and all his followers will be cast into Hell on the last day? I believe you need to reconsider why the Devil (an angel who took 1/3 of them with him) was cast out of Heaven in the first place – for thinking he could rise and be above God himself – taking over Heaven. Only if the Devil were to change his ways, and I don't believe he ever will, nor do I find the question one to dwell on. The Devil is smarter than we, so the best we can do is try to do our best to overcome him each day. Signing off for the night, best to you and bless you.

September 24, 2011 at 11:47 pm |
    • Freddy

steveinmo
      So, if people can be saved without ever hearing the gospel then atheists can end up being saved without ever actually believing in any of this stuff, right?

TTFN

September 25, 2011 at 12:11 am |

steveinmo
      Good morning!

So, you're saying that the devil is predestined to never repent, so why bother offering any prayers on his behalf, or even hope that he comes around? Assuming that he still really does have free will and could change, why not show some compassion towards him as you would any other sinner? After all, wouldn't it be preferable that he be brought around, the tribulation avoided, and everyone saved? Wouldn't Jesus prefer that too?

Talking to some Christians it almost sounds like they would rebel against God themselves, and leave Heaven if they learned that He allowed everyone in. Kinda ironic, isn't that?

September 25, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
    • Flash

steveinmo, "... my own Dad, who's been troubled and running from the Lord for 60+ years."

Oh, how I'd love to hear your Dad's story! My sincere sympathy to him for putting up with you.

September 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • steveinmo

Quote:

End Quote-

Free, I have no idea where your ideas are coming from but they are truly disturbing. I have NEVER known anyone, especially in the true Church who prays for the Devil – only those who are deceived by the Devil pray for him. As for your supposed idea of Christians wanting to escape Heaven? There's nothing ironic in your thoughts, they're just plain sick.

September 25, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
    • steveinmo

Quote-
      End Quote-

Flash, I truly feel sorry for you, and ask and hope that you might one day be blessed. But I also curse you and all your days until you wake up, for what you wish on my Dad. I curse you, your family, your belongings so that there might be hope you'll see something different and change, and come to know real love. Until then, stay away from my Dad!

September 25, 2011 at 11:20 pm |

steveinmo
      I said prays 'for' the Devil, not to him. He's a sinner, right? The ultimate one, so why not pray for God to have mercy on him, or just talk out loud, if you think he's actually close enough to listen, as ask him to ask for forgiveness? What possible harm could that do?

September 26, 2011 at 12:05 am |
    • Flash

Free,

I hate to ask you to get in the middle of this, but I plead for your wisdom in responding to steveinmo's latest post to me. I am simply too angry and upset to do so, and it might take me a week (or a year!) to calm down. He needs to know now.

September 26, 2011 at 12:14 am |

Flash
      Although it was he who put the subject of fathers out there, it appears that it's actually a very sore spot for him. In my experience, however, it really wouldn't surprise me that a character like 'steveinmo' would bait you with something like that just to get you to respond unkindly. Exposing the unsympathetic side of those who criticize their beliefs somehow translates as justification for those beliefs in their minds, I think.

Also, just remember that people tend to be far more bold when they are anonymously posting on sites such as this, so I wouldn't take his comment too seriously. There was even an article here called "My Take: Why Christians are jerks online." It's hurtful, but it's not like he has the power to curse anyone for real, even if God does exist, right? My best advice is to think of how the priests handled the demon in The Exorcist and expect to be baited by personal jabs when debating characters like this. In the end, their inability to calmly discuss their beliefs just shows how shallow their reasoning really is. 🙂

September 26, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Flash

Free,

Thank you for your wise words. I appreciate them. I hope that I am taking the high road by not responding to him, although I could probably fill a page with retorts. Peace.

September 26, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • steveinmo

Free & Flash,
      What reasoning is that you suggest? That you have to gang up and feed off each other instead of talking to me alone? If you had sound reasoning to answer or even understand what I said originally you'd know it was said from my heart in goodwill and love, but yet you twisted it to accuse me of saying something hateful, which I did no such thing.

Gang up on me if you want because you can't stand alone, but because my Lord and Savior is more powerful than all of you put together, I know he will protect not just me, but all His Church and all His people from the likes of you, everywhere. Wake up!

September 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • steveinmo

Also because I love my Dad and my family I only want the best for them and the opportunity for them not to suffer eternity in Hell – the real Hell spoken of and taught for thousands of years, not the fairy tale garbage modern religion and non-believing speculators imagine. Because I want the best for them, you'd stand in their way just to ensure they would go to Hell with you?! And you don't think that would make me or any rational person angry? You filthy collection of wh0res, get away from my loved ones, which is anyone the Lord leads me to speak to and calls to.

September 26, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
    • steveinmo

Free, instead of thinking you can catch me on something and correct me, go back and reread what I said. I did not say the deceived pray to the devil. I said only the deceived and non-believers pray FOR the Devil. If you knew and truly understood, not just the words, but also the meaning and spirit in the Bible, you'd know what I say here is true – it's too late for the Devil, he had his last chance. And comes a point where everyone will have their last chance if they've not taken the opportunity to seek the Lord, will you pass up your last chance too? Please don't.

September 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm |

steveinmo
      Why is it too late for the devil? He has free will like any sinner, right? Would it really upset you terribly if he did redeem himself, evil left the world, and everyone was welcomed into heaven?

Now, I guess I have to get back to my wh0ring ways. 😉

September 26, 2011 at 11:27 pm |

Flash
      Sorry, but I chose to take a slightly lower road than you.

September 26, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
  14. Steve

The truth of the matter is that the Bible states CLEARLY that NO MAN will know the time of the second coming of Christ. It also states that the day will come as a THEIF IN THE NIGHT. When you least expect it. These statements alone debunk all claims past, present, and future. When the next person stands up and says they have it figured out He/She will have to get in line with the others who got it wrong. For those who do not believe; none of this should bother you. All I can say is that you have a lot of faith in chance to believe all this was a cosmic accident. For those smart enough...do the math.

September 24, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Free

Not faith, just a consideration of the odds of one god out of thousands happening to be real. See, we really have done the math. Have you?

September 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  15. martinipaul

Why? Why do militant atheists love this belief blog? Are they here for a meaningful dialogue? No. How can you have that with a bunch of brainless idiots? Then why are they here? To smash and bash. Why? Because it gives them pleasure. The root cause of their atheism is not logic but anger. They use science as a club. It empowers that anger. One atheist pyschologist did a study and concluded that atheists had bad daddies. I have concluded they are simply nerds who couldn't get a date for the prom. Let's see, pleasure in the pain of others - I wonder what science would say about that.

September 24, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • JohnR

The only people around here chortling about people being subjected to eternal torture are believers. I don't know whether these people had bad fathers, but they worship one nasty god. why?

September 24, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • streetcar01

Stick and stones. Looks like someone else is angry with a bad daddy.

September 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • JohnR

I had a very good father, you presumptuous ignoramus, streetcar01

September 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • martinipaul

temper, temper. your irrationality is showing.

September 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm |

martinipaul
      "Why? Why do militant atheists love this belief blog?"
      As far as I can tell, the only troublesome thing that can earn people the label of 'militant atheist' is the willingness to be disrespectful and to call people names. If that's all there is to it, then why don't you ask why there are so many militant believers here as well?

September 24, 2011 at 4:48 pm |

martinipaul
      "pleasure in the pain of others"
      And you don't see this in believer's threats of hellfire? It doesn't matter to us, but some of the folks who are on the regular receiving end of those threats are actually moderate believers who are concerned with being judged by God. Aren't conservatives who like to throw that against their fellow Christians just as guilty of wanting to cause others pain?

September 24, 2011 at 4:57 pm |
    • John Richardson

@martinpaul Is insulting people's late parents considered good form in your branch of Christianity?

September 24, 2011 at 7:32 pm |
    • John Richardson

Oh, and, btw, there is nothing irrational about calling presumptuous ignoramuses presumptuous ignoramuses. Not terribly surprised that even this eludes your tiny little mind.

September 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • Hilikus00

"Why? Why do militant atheists love this belief blog?"

Where else do atheists get to express their beliefs? Have you every tried speaking of your beliefs or religion in a group? Try that as an atheist. Right or wrong, it is not socially acceptable, and has caused me real issues in real life just because of my beliefs (or lack of). Some Christians are so caught up in their victim mentality, that they believe their down right nastiness is not only acceptable, but fighting in the name of god. It doesn't matter that doing so basically goes against the entire 'new covenant' given to you by your lord. An atheist is not an attack on your religion, a different belief is not an attack on your religion, fighting for equal rights for all is not an attack on your religion. Different non-violent belief systems are only a threat to your religion, if you are insecure about it to start with.

What do you do though? You come out here spouting an attack that is complete bs, using a quote from 1 single person who's name you don't even provide (and even if you did, I guarantee I could find equally flattering quotes from psychologist about the religious), and then wonder why someone would act "militantly" towards you. Honestly, I have no problems with your religion...and if there were any amount of people who actually lived by it, I think the world would be a better place. I have problems with self righteous jerks who have no clue about their own religion. I have a problem with people that fight for their religion by going against its teachings. People like you (martinipaul...just in case there was any question)are the reason atheists like me have a sour taste in our mouths about the religious. People like you, are the main cause for these "militant atheists".

Pick any other group in the world...tell them all of their beliefs are the result of 'daddy issues', and all of your learned knowledge is stupid. I guarantee you'll find a high percentage you would describe as "militant".

September 24, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • steveinmo

Paul, they come here because they Hate the Lord. They hate the Lord because the Devil has such a strong hold over them, deluding them in their science and learning. As Paul wrote to the Thessalonians – For this cause the Lord will send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie. And Paul further wrote to Timothy warning against false knowledge – Beware science falsely so-called.

They come here because they can't help it, and they know no other way. They don't have that true love and charity in their hearts. And that is why, while the Devil causes them to present themselves here as our enemy, we are reminded to bless and not curse them, but to bless and love them. And yes, my patience fails me from time to time on this.

September 24, 2011 at 11:26 pm |
    • tallulah13

steveinmo, you have no idea why atheists come on these boards, you don't read the reasons atheists supply, and then you make up derogatory things to say about people you don't even know. Is lying and falsely accusing strangers what being a christian is about? That is not any "morality" that I recognize.

September 25, 2011 at 1:20 am |
    • John Richardson

@steveinmo So you can be "saved" and still casually bear false witness?

September 25, 2011 at 3:52 am |

John Richardson
      Most are told that the saved can only produce 'good fruits'. Thus they automatically see everything that they choose to do after being 'saved' as being good, including lying and insulting people for Christ, it seems.

September 25, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Hilikus00

@steveinmo –

Man, I pity you. I don't mean that as an insult in any way...I truly pity you. If that is really how you see people who are not the same as you, what a miserable world you must live in. From people being influenced by the devil, to a lack of charity and love in their hearts for not being like you. People are not as "evil" as you think. Hell, if "your creator" has deemed us fit to continue to exist, we can't be all that bad. I mean, 'he' has 'proven' that he will wipe out the planet of nearly all life if its not good enough...yet, here we are.

September 25, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  16. Haime52

Too many people do not understand the rapture. They think it will be secret. Let's see, the trumpet will sound, the voice of God, a mighty shout, the righteous dead rising from their graves, transformed. Not much secret about that! Sounds pretty noisy to me.
    "one shall be left the other taken...", in the parable of the wheat and tares, we are told that the Master told the laborers to let them grow together until harvest time, then pull out the tares first and burn them and then harvest the wheat. Now, look at that phrase and it looks totally different, does it not? Who will be left? The righteous!

September 24, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • mack

You speak about that as if you *know* it will happen. Pretty arrogant if you ask me.

September 24, 2011 at 10:17 am |
    • Flash

There's just as much of a chance of giant 20-foot long ants landing on Earth in space capsules and taking over the place. Read some sci-fi/horror/fantasy books. This is just an example of a 1st century one.

September 24, 2011 at 11:59 am |
    • Free

I once saw on YouTube a girl tricked into believing that the rapture had come. All it took was for her friends to get most of the people in a crowded restaurant to sneak out while she went to the bathroom. I remember that she broke down crying at the thought of being left behind. How sad. It seems that a whole lot of people are being brought up to expect it at any moment, without the traditional fanfare.

September 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • AGuest9

I think what's most scary about all this is that we have people walking around in 21st Century America, actually believing this stuff, that was reported by bronze age peoples. Imagine all the myths that WEREN'T preserved from that time.

September 24, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • I_get_it

AGuest9,

Yes, it is incredible that these ethnocentric stories from primitive Middle Eastern tribesmen, who ever-so-conveniently had an all-powerful god who chose them as "His People", can be gobbled up today.

I don't know how many tents Paul of Tarsus sold, but he sure hit a bonanza peddling these tales (he's responsible for the popularity of the OT too).

September 24, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Haime52

I'm not feeling the love folks.

September 24, 2011 at 4:13 pm |

AGuest9
      Do you know many people who don't know their zodiac sign and what it says about their personality? Superst.ition isn't limited to religious beliefs.

September 24, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
    • laura

The word "rapture" does not appear in the Bible. The concept of the rapture is new and comes from mans own thinking and not from Gods inspired word. No one goes to heaven to be protected from the end-time tribulation.

September 24, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Loophole

Trumpets will sound huh...So all we have to do is destroy all the trumpets and god can't rapture us. Cool. We will destroy every trumpet and trumpet player just to make sure. In fact, destroy all musical instuments and musicians too. And to make double sure, destroy everyone who "hath known" the sound of a trumpet or any musical instrument. That only leaves the deaf people...but they could be lying so destroy them too. Ha ha god...we destroyed everyone and everything before you could rapture us. This scenario makes more sense than anything I've read in the bible...so far. I'm currently working my way through it. I never thought I would enjoy reading such disgusting, nonsensical at times, garbage. Sometime I laugh until I realize other people, some of which are in charge of our country, actually believe it. That's not so funny and that is why I'm here.

September 24, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hmmm. Those who know the Easter Bunny are aware that he comes in the middle of the night an hides eggs and candy for children.

I love how Christian thumpers think their mythology is believable, yet evolution exceeds their grasp.

September 24, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Denny Dale

The Rapture Card guarantees you VIP access to Heaven when the Rapture comes or your money back. The Rapture is coming and the only way to make it is to get Rapture Certified.

getrapturecertified.com

September 24, 2011 at 9:36 am |
    • Free

Yes, it is packaged like some VIP backstage pass complete with the limo ride and after party. Most people fantasize about being specially selected to be close to a rock star while the common mob can't even get close. Most of that is the delight in being heavily envied, I think. I wonder how much of this holds for the rapture fantasy as well?

September 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
    • Aussie Cletus

How does this money back guarantee work? I would assume the credit card and banking system will be in disarray at rapture time. Also, do I need to carry the card with me at all times or will my name be registered?

September 25, 2011 at 12:29 am |
    • Denny Dale

Aussie, those are very legitimate questions. Thank you for raising them. We'll be putting an FAQ section up on the site shortly that will address these and other questions that true believers such as yourself might have. But for now, you should know that the payments system will in no way be disrupted because the payment system is controlled by the banks and bankers worship the almighty dollar, not almighty God. Obviously, the entire staff at getrapturecertified.com will Raptured on Judgment Day, so we will not be able to personally process any money back guarantees, which is why we have placed about a dozen Grand Thetans from the Church of Scientology on retainer–they will process all refund requests. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

September 25, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  18. b_briane

True reality is this (according to the Bible and Jesus' teachings of the rapture) the rapture happens at the very end of the "end time events" Jesus said in John chapter 6 that he is raising up the living "at the last day" in another parable he said first the tares(fake believers and the wicked) will be gathered and thrown into the fire and then the wheat(believers) would then be gathered(raptured). There is no pretrib, mid trib, or post trib rapture. We will be resurrected to life after the 6.3 year tribulation (that's right in Daniel chapter 8 it says the tribulation is 6.3 years long) half way through the tribulation God begins pouring wrath upon unbelievers and those that take the mark of the beast. At the end of the tribulation a time of darkness comes that will block out the sun and stars. during the time of darkness, the antichrist goads the nations to a battle at a 3 valley area where a hill named armeggeddon is, Jesus returns at armeggeddon and then the weeds are burned at that point. After he throws the beast and false prophet into hell ( with all the wicked weeds) then he raises us to life as he descends from heaven and lands on top the Mt. of Olives. That's the real deal. So when does the tribulation begin? When a white man carries an image into the Jews temple, takes away the temple altar, and sets up his image there proclaiming himself as god and starts a war agianst the Jews and christians on that day. This is what Jesus says in Matthew chapter 24. right now we are in the time of sorrows, how do we know this? Jesus said learn the parable of the fig tree, Israel went back to their land beginning in 1948. thats when the fig tree began budding. Now is the time.

September 24, 2011 at 4:24 am |
    • pete

hahahahahahahahaha

September 24, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Reality

JC's family and friends had it right 2000 years ago ( Mark 3: 21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself."

Said passage is one of the few judged to be authentic by most contemporary NT scholars. e.g. See Professor Ludemann's conclusion in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 24 and p. 694.

More details:
      After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Most contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospels being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European, white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, long-dead, preacher/magic man would do or say?

September 24, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • .........

spam alert multiple posting hit report abuse to all reality garbage

September 24, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
    • Free

Sssh!!! Satan might hear!

September 24, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
  19. SilverTrail

Another white guy who thinks he is smarter than Christianity, writing junks and making useless money. These self-smart dudes really wrecked the Western civilization. He should be honestly reading the Bible.

September 24, 2011 at 3:32 am |
    • Think About It

SilverTrail,

And maybe you should read some more 'junks' so that you can see how much like the Bible they are in the way of creative fiction.

September 24, 2011 at 3:35 am |
    • SilverTrail

@Think-, the civilization is creative when they are godly and strive to find the matter of truth. Now secular West is corrupting both human mind and the planet.That's why it is regressing.

September 24, 2011 at 4:15 am |
    • SilverTrail

@Think-, tell me. Did you find any soul-deep writings in recent production? (Let's put aside the Bible here since it is God's book and all-time best-read for 2,000 years.) I haven't found anything yet deeper than the European/American and Russian literature of about two centuries ago. I read popular books of both fiction and non-fiction time to time but I constantly feel certain shallowness though those are laden with information, emotions and excitement. I feel Westerners have stopped questing for truth alone and serious, honest wrestling engagement with life issues. It's like anything-goes or copies from some classic works. Any thought?

September 24, 2011 at 4:30 am |
    • Free

Most people who read the Bible don't see the rapture in it at all. It seems to be a rather gnostic, secret belief, and we all know how the Gnostics were treated in the old days, right?

September 24, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bwahahahah! "Writing junks"? Oh, brother. The laughs I get from your posts, Addle-brain. Truly entertaining. Are the junks anything like those used by the Chinese? Those are so pretty. I have a painting of one of them.

Moron, thy name is SilverTrail the Troll.

September 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm |
    • Penelope

How do you know he hasn't read the Bible?

September 25, 2011 at 3:45 am |

Penelope
      He assumes that there is only one meaning, his own, to get when you read the Bible, so he thinks that anyone with a differing opinion cannot have actually read it. It's an ego thing.

September 25, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  20. Reality

From p. 3:

What we do know: (from the field of astrophysics, nuclear physics and the history of religion)

1. The Sun will burn out in 3-5 billion years so we have a time frame.

2. Asteroids continue to circle us in the nearby asteroid belt.

3. One wayward rock and it is all over in a blast of permanent winter.

4. There are enough nuclear weapons to do the same job/winterizing.

5. Most contemporary NT exegetes do not believe in the Second Coming so apparently there is no concern about JC coming back on an asteroid or cloud of raptors/rapture.

6. All stars will eventually extinguish as there is a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the universe. When this happens (100 billion years?), the universe will go dark. If it does not collapse and recycle, the universe will end.

Bottom line: our apocalypse will start between now and 3-5 billion CE. The universe apocalypse, 100 billion years?

September 24, 2011 at 12:30 am |
    • .........

repeated spam hit report abuse to all reality posts

September 24, 2011 at 6:43 pm |