home
RSS
A movement to paint Obama as the Antichrist?
President Obama reacts as he's heckled at a Los Angeles fundraiser Monday night.
September 27th, 2011

A movement to paint Obama as the Antichrist?

By Dan Gilgoff and Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editors

(CNN) - On our sister blog The 1600 Report, CNN's Alex Mooney notes a discrepancy in the official White House transcript of a California fundraiser Monday night, during which a person who heckled President Barack Obama was escorted out by security.

Here's the White House transcript's account of the heckler:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: The Christian God is the only true living God, the Creator of the heavens and the universe.

But Mooney observes that the White House pool report records the heckler as being much more blunt, yelling "'Barack Obama is the Antichrist!"

The president interrupted his remarks at the fundraiser, held at Los Angeles' House of Blues, to respond to the heckler.

"First of all, I agree Jesus Christ is the Lord," Obama said. "I believe in that. I do have a question, though. I think the young man may have left his jacket... "

Ironically, the remark about Obama as the Antichrist came the same day that The New York Times ran an op-ed arguing that the Antichrist is assuming a bigger place in the public discourse, as evangelical Christian ideas about the end times gain traction.

In a piece titled "Why the Antichrist Matters in Politics," Washington State University history professor Matthew Avery Sutton argues that, for some Christians, Obama fits into ideas about the Antichrist, whose arrival is believed to be a portent of the end times and Jesus' second coming:

For some evangelicals, President Obama is troubling. The specious theories about his place of birth, his internationalist tendencies, his measured support for Israel and his Nobel Peace Prize fit their long-held expectations about the Antichrist. So does his commitment to expanding the reach of government in areas like health care.

The op-ed was the most e-mailed piece on nytimes.com for much of Tuesday.

In the 2008 campaign, Republican presidential nominee John McCain released an anti-Obama ad called "The One" that ridiculed Obama for what it said was his messiah complex. Some critics claimed the spot was a veiled attempt to paint Obama as the Antichrist, though the McCain camp denied it.

What do you think? Is there a gathering movement to paint the president as the Antichrist? Are such charges overblown attempt to discredit Obama's critics?

Read Mooney's full report here.
- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Christianity • Politics

soundoff (2,491 Responses)
  1. Tim

What's disturbing here is that the 'heckle' season usually didn't start until the summer before the election. This time around it seems to already be in full swing. A few weeks ago, some woman was caught using her child to go after another candidate at a rally. Looks like we have a full year to witness the common man behaving badly.

September 28, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Peter

Its entertaining and our fellow humans are generally mentally ill and this is the result. So sit back and watch and if you happen to be a little crazy yourself you can always join in.

September 28, 2011 at 10:38 am |
  2. Peter

He is way to stupid to be the Anti Christ, The Anti Christ is to be a great leader and get the WHOLE world to follow him. Obama cant even get ALL AMERICANS to accept his leadership.

September 28, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • claybigsby

yeah if you believe in that crap.

September 28, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  3. Jim in Georgia

I guess the possibility for rational discussion is lost.
    I saw where health insurance costs are soaring so they start this.
    Fair taxes means class warfare.
    No rational discussion here... 😦

September 28, 2011 at 10:30 am |
  4. Terry Moore

The AntiChrist ? Come on, you cannot say this and not burst out with laughter..Which transforms itself into downright uncontrolled hilarity when applied to Obama..... But then, serious thoughts come back, and with them, despair :" Are there really that many people in this country who should be in looney bins ?"
    Let's keep Religion and God and all the mumbo jumbo private, as it was meant to be.. As it was meant to be.. Otherwise, please, all of you who want to inject Religion into Politics and Civil Life, go to Iran..That's what they do best there... And such a move would rid us at last of all our morons...In the words of Woody Allen :" Welcome, Idiots"...

September 28, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Peter

Keep your religions private and to yourself, and gays stay in the closet and dont come out and black people dont get uppity.... Your arguement could be used in so many ways and really makes it useless.

September 28, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • Mike

Core foundings of our Great Country were Religious Freedom. Believe is powerful and when watered down mean nothing. Truth will prevail. Just like everything there are winners and loser. Look at the stats for to see who won in the past and lost. We are currently on a losing path... I would suggest looking at THE STATS.

September 28, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • ETM

I don't know what you are talking about, Mike. The Enlightenment beat religious stupidity out as the dominate ethos of the West hundreds of years ago.

September 28, 2011 at 10:44 am |
    • Mike

ETW – now the beating is suttle so it is not felt until it to late... Numbing is more like it... Until hopeless sets in ... then self-destruction. The Country is imploding because the Core Values have been lost... Check the history on the rise and fall of all the great country and what precided the fall. Loss of their core founding belief. They Got Fat and lost their way. We are now like them.

September 28, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • ETM

Mike, take your meds, or if you are on them, get off them, because you aren't even coherent anymore.

September 28, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • ETM

By the way, Mike, the Western Roman Empire, which lasted almost a millennium, fell AFTER it became Christian.

September 28, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Mike

ETW – Praying for you, buddy! "Nothing is Impossible with God"

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  5. Blue

You should live in the south where everything is christian related. They are the mostt undeducated people, and they try to prove points by nit-picking the Bible. As long as I can remember, groups have tried to pick the one that is the anti-christ. This is a sickness and a dangerous one. But, we sane people, can see thsrough this take on insanity. Who would believe this crap?

September 28, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • gtalum06

Your blanket statement about Christians being the "most uneducated people" is simply not true, but thanks for your consideration... I am a bit confused as to how you came to this conclusion. I assume you've never met an ignorant, uneducated, non-Christian (or taken five seconds to listen to the unintelligent garbage happening in Hollywood...there's a great counter argument for uneducated people who aren't Christians)...

You can group us all into one uneducated bunch all you want, and it will still not be true. However, it if makes you feel good about yourself, go for it. I'm sorry you have had to encounter so many ignorant Christians. There are plenty of ignorant ones out there, unfortunately, and they give the rest of us a bad name. Some of us, however, are quite educated... Georgia Tech provides a fairly adequate education, and guess what, some of us managed to survive, graduate, and still be Christians. So, no, we are not all the "most uneducated people."

Thanks, and have a blessed day.

September 28, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • Mike

Blind men can't see – thus, Read the Book so you can see what you can't now. Unless, of course, you choose to stay in the dark. Fear of Truth has blinded our Great Country for too long... Wake up America!

September 28, 2011 at 10:45 am |
  6. Bret M

In order for ther to be an "Anti-Christ" there would first have to be a Christ,at least in my estimation.And since the Latter is a fable the former must also be.

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Mike

Read the book my friend. It will change your life.

September 28, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Peter

There is historical prrof of Jesus Christ and his existance, so are you saying he didnt exist or just simply you dont believe he is/was the messiah?

September 28, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • ETM

There almost certainly an historic Jesus. But he was not a god and not a messiah. That is mythology.

September 28, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Peter

ETM- Thing is you cant prove that, just like religion can not really prove the other. Its a big lose lose to fight it.

September 28, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • ETM

Of course I can prove it, Peter. No one can rise from the dead. It's impossible. If you tell me you ran a 1-minute mile, I KNOW you did not because no human can do that. It is hard to prove a negative, buts imple application of the basic laws of reality lead to answers even in some of these cases.

September 28, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Peter

Ahh but they say and their biible says he was a GOD, so raising from the dead would be no big deal for him. You can have an opinion but it cant be proven, its the same arguement from both sides and has and will be for a long long time.

September 28, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • The 4 Penguins Of The Apocalypse

Bret, I understand what you are trying to say. However, there is undoubtable proof that a man named Jesus existed. Was he the son of God? Not likely. Did he wander around the desert stoned on hashish and opium believing he was a prophet? Yep. Ever smoke opium? I'll bet you'd see guys walking on water too.

September 28, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • ETM

No, Peter, saying that this or that happened because it is in the Bible is no more valid than saying this or that happened because it is in the Book of Mormon or the Koran. That is circular reasoning. I cannot make believers think otherwise because there belief systems are central to their world view and psychological stability and thus override reason, but if you want to prove to me that something impossible happened that defies all reason, you need more than a book of hearsay upon hearsay.

September 28, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • claybigsby

"Read the book my friend. It will change your life."

yeah ok...ive read the book twice and each time I thought it was nothing but fables.

September 28, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • claybigsby

"Ahh but they say and their biible says he was a GOD, so raising from the dead would be no big deal for him. "

Their bible was written by them for them...not by god. Fallible humans wrote the bible.

September 28, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • Mike

When you read you have to want to know the Truth. And it will be revealed to you. Even the disciples were thick headed, until finally they saw. Man, it is a heart thing not a vision/head thing. Best Wishes to you my friend.

September 28, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • ETM

In other words, Mike doesn't think.

September 28, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Mike

Like I said earlier – Blind men can't see. I hope some day ETW you'll take the time to read with you eye/mind and heart the Word that will change your life and set you free the "knowledge" you have. Take care man... got to work so I can pay the bills for my fellow man.

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  7. ETM

Let's stop the nonsense–and nonsense is organized religion. It is all mythology and metaphor. Grow up and get into reality.

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Mike

You are right – religion is man made. Relationship is God made and He wants one with us through his Son.

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • Peter

You need to find a better solution, because 75% of the worlds population are members of a organized religion. You need to work with religions and not against them, you will lose.

September 28, 2011 at 10:33 am |
    • claybigsby

Peter what is your point? It has been proven that the number of religious people has been declining for the last 20 years by as much as 11% in this country alone. Come up with something better.

September 28, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Mike

Why has religion dropped? It is not personal and no lasting value. Leaving people empty, fustratrated and spent. A real Relationship with Jesus revives your soul. Religion, just can't do it. Relationship does.

September 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  8. Fox Terrier

I thought the Anti-Christ was supposed to be this dynamic speaker who would unite the world with his rhetoric?
    The reality is, we are more divided than ever, in this country and all over the world.

How does that make Obama the anti-christ?

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Mike

Anit-Christ will be the King of Chaos and Lies! And then he will assume the role as Peace keeper, only as a means to gain control & trust! Once established his true colors will be revealed... Not a good ending.

September 28, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • ETM

Sorry, Mike, you are just being silly. Yeah, I enjoyed "The Omen" too, but then I left the theater. You need to find reality now.

September 28, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  9. John

Obama is the AntiChrist? I thought Bush was the AntiChrist.. What a bunch of idiots. Honestly, how could we take seriously any group that believe in creationism and that dinosaurs were created 6,000 years ago. What's next – witch burnings? Idiots.. And Bush was the Antichrist and still is and always will be..

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  10. Dan

The fact this kind of garbage generates a story is pretty frightening. I'm starting to believe Evangelicals are becoming a dangerous mix of righteous bigots.

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • bk

starting to think?

September 28, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Peter

Well you can start to believe that, but its not true and just you showing your bigotry for religion.

September 28, 2011 at 10:35 am |
    • Dan

I'm far from bigoted against religion. I find Evangelicals to be the least Christ like, and most hypocritical of any sect of Christianity, just look at your hateful comics drawn about Muslims. You are disgusting, divisive people who deserve nothing but scorn.

September 28, 2011 at 10:38 am |
    • Peter

Well Im not one of them firstly, and your anger and hostility shows that your no better and just about as crazy or maybe crazier then them. Honestly your bigotry shines thru against religion. Pretty nuts bud.

September 28, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  11. lordofexcess

Why in the modern world does this shamanistic boogieman mumbo jumbo still get discussed in public? Its like talking about people who still believe the world is flat?? Why do Christians not know their own bible and the history behind it? Most bible scholars (if not all professional, doctorate level theologians) would agree that the book of Revelation was written pertaining to Nero, if not the Roman Emperor and the empire. This endless "so and so is the anti-christ" stuff is insane. Why are Christians so willing to believe in things like this, yet so reluctant to listen to the teachings of christ? Why is any christian a republican? Abortion alone isn't reason enough. Each day many murders have been committed in the name of Republican ideals ... depriving people of medical care when they need it ... needless wars over purely economic interests (oil) ... if Jesus was a live today he certainly wouldn't identify with the modern Republican party and he certainly wouldn't have been a fan of the Bush administration. Many Christians are just making up their beliefs and lying to themselves and to all those around them. Intelligent people see this and it casts them and their entire belief system in the same light. For those true believers out there I challenge you read your bible and then listen to the top bible scholars, read about the history of the bible. Understand the teachings of christ and then look at the world around you after you've done all that. Don't just listen to your minister or pastor or priest and their individual opinion. Go out into the world of theology and listen to bible scholars, read, research and understand your book and its teachings. No one does that ... I'd have to guess .0001% of Christians ever bother to do that and that includes those leading the flocks. This is why christianity in this nation is in the state it is in. Christianity is nothing more than a political tool, it is being used in the same way Islam is being used in the middle east ... as a way to manipulate people for political gain. Until the flocks begin to return to the teachings of christ, until they return to compassion and kindness towards their fellow man ... believer and non-believer alike ... until christian charity and a loving of thy neighbor returns ... then Christians themselves are nothing more than tools being used by those who are not doing good work in the name of the Lord. I doubt anyone will hear, care or understand any of this. I'm sure my comments will be flamed as evil merely because I point out the horrible hypocrisy and tragedy in all of this.

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Dan

Excellent post.

September 28, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Terry Moore

Good post..

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • apeman1

one of the most intelligent post I've ever seen, hope the ignorant masses see the truth in this statement

September 28, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • JakeDog

No, I heartily agree with you. I believe in God and witness ever day bible thumpers who would not know Christ if he kicked them in the rear. I work with a number of "christians" who are intolerant, racist, damn near Taliban, and would help someone unless they converted or held thier veiws. I watch them string together parts of the Bible to back thier claims and make thier points. I listen to them say things that aren't even in the Bible.

September 28, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • chana

I am a Christian and I agree with some of what you said. There are so many out there claiming Christ as there savior but don't follow his teachings. They behave like they are perfect and never sin at all while condemning everyone else around them. No one practices love your neighbor, hardly anyone. I have to explain this to so many fellow Christians that Jesus meant love everyone, not just the people that agree with you or that you like, or fellow just christians everyone, especially the ones you don't like. Christianity is a tool used by our government, they say there Christians just to get the vote. To me I think 90% of the ones claiming to be part of the christian family have no idea how far out they really are and are just making the rest of us look crazy. I do believe there is One God, creator of Heaven and Earth, I do believe that Jesus came and died for my sins and offers this Salvation to anyone that accepts it, and just not the perfect people, any one especially the sinners, I am Queen of the sinners but I know Jesus forgives me and loves me. there is so much beauty to being Christian and all it takes is reading your bible, I have to know my bible that way I know garbage teaching when it is preached. Just pick up the bible and read and see how it feels, read the Genius that Jesus is. God willing it will speak to you and you will be called. I liken witnessing about Christ like trying to explain the beauty of the ocean to a blind person...I can't make you understand until your eyes are open, but once they are it is the most beautiful thing you will have seen. Jesus saves and loves us all and he did not come for the well but for the sick. he accepts everyone that loves him. Please don't let the world teach you, read for yourself.

September 28, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • cmowhite

The most intelligent comment I've read

September 28, 2011 at 11:18 am |
  12. Good Solid God Fearing Republican

Insane teabaggers are to blame. They should be deported to someplace like, I don't know, maybe devil island. Cool idea? Make it happen. Bag a bagger today!

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  13. dcolling

why would the anti-christ spend so time and energy trying to improve health care ?
    it's utterly beyond comprehension.

this is the same mentality that burned witches. unbelievable they're still around in 2011.

September 28, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • Mike

Things are not as they appear.... You know the term "the devil is in the detail"

September 28, 2011 at 10:28 am |
  14. Scott

I think its a little absurd to try and say he's the anti-christ... Lets just leave it at "really bad president".

September 28, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  15. Mike

Oh, puh-LEEZE.

I don't like the guy's policies, and I didn't vote for him, but the *antichrist?*

The term 'lunatic fringe' doesn't even come close.

September 28, 2011 at 10:25 am |
  16. Mike

Blind men can't see – If you read the best selling book of all time, its predictions are 100% correct and it has stood for centuries. Like it or not Truth ALWAYS prevails reguardless of public opinion or whose feelings are hurt. The HOPE is more will see as they seek THE TRUTH. Remember, the anti-christ is an imposter, deciever, a liar and thrives on and in chaos. TRUTH wins!

September 28, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • RickBobby

I hope healthcare passes and you get the meds you need.

September 28, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Michael B

WELL well well I half seriously gave President Obama the moniker "AC" when it became evident that he was going to win the nomination to be the candidate. I refer to him as AC and have since then. I am going to show this article to everyone who thought I was crazy then. I am not sure I believe that he is or not but the facts itemized are what they are.

September 28, 2011 at 10:32 am |
    • lordofexcess

Mike you haven't read the bible, the entire Bible and you don't understand it. You've never read theological works by renowned bible scholars. You don't understand the book of Revelation. You are a blind follower of demagogues, ideologues, fear mongers, hate mongers and those who are false leaders who are casting down the house of God Almighty. You are giving in to hate, to lies and ultimately to blaspheme. Congratulations you are a tool of Satan and the far right wing for if there were an anti-christ today he wouldn't come from the rants of the left, those who oppose war, those who believe in compassion towards their fellow men and women. They'd come from the right, from the ranks of those who hate, who support war, who deny those who can't afford medical care and food those things they need most. But go back to your hypocrisy and give all intelligent people no reason to follow, continue to cast down Christianity with your selfish, arrogant, destructive behavior. Matthew 7:1 "Judge not, that you be not judged. If any Christians simply followed that passage this nation would be a better place. None of them do, they all revel in their hate and they delight in their self proclaimed superiority to their fellow man.

September 28, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • claybigsby

"You are a blind follower of demagogues, ideologues, fear mongers, hate mongers and those who are false leaders who are casting down the house of God Almighty. "

Funny this is exactly what christians do.

September 28, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Mike

LOE – Like how you use Matt 7:1 after your rant. Seems like you need a little Matt 11: 28-30. His YOKE will set you free my friend. Hope the best for you!

September 28, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  17. Robert Lozano

You know if they would like to turn to the bible I am sure it says none of us knows when the end is coming. Like a thief in the night doesn't it say? As for painting the President (The Honorable Mr. Obama) as the anti christ, I remember in the 80s them trying to do the same for the former President Ronald Reagan, even going as far as saying the fact that all 3 of his names were all 6 letters thus 666 proving that point. All I can say is WOW. that is all.

September 28, 2011 at 10:24 am |
  18. calvin

Yes Jesus is the One and Only True Living God!! I think our president is setting the stage for the coming of the AntiChrist!! Signing the Bill for Don't Ask Don't Tell, abortion, etc. Promoting many things that are totally against God. He really need to kneel before God and ask for guidance of this country! Repentance of what He has caused and what he is doing. We and our entire country as well as this world need Help From God. The words of the Bible are clearly being fulfilled right before our eyes today. We all need to Repent for this Sad sick twisted world. Without God in the picture-all things Fail!!!

September 28, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • Mike

Right on – Surrendered to His strength and guidance daily!

September 28, 2011 at 10:26 am |
    • Agnostic Jew

CUCKOO ALERT. KILL YOURSELF.

September 28, 2011 at 10:27 am |
    • Agnostic Jew

OMG Obama wants to allow poor people and blacks to have health care. That's SO against what Jesus taught! 😦 !!

September 28, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • RickBobby

You are hillarious. If you weren't so sad.

September 28, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Bob

God – Schmod

September 28, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • Terry Moore

Calvin....you do have a name that matches a man whose brand of Protestantism is the worst possible... I suppose then that your statements are congruant in their idiocy...One more for the looney bin.. One more who has not managed to understand that religion and God are private matters, not to be discussed in Public within the context of Politics. This would be funny, if it were not pathetic.

September 28, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • Keisha

I could not agree more. People need to realize all things are possible only through GOD.

September 28, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • JackingyourJill69

Are you kidding me? Self righteous people will never be able to get their heads out their asses long enough to see that Jesus was never sent to condemn the world, but to save it (see John 3:17) If you really believe, why don't you put your money where your mouth is and take care of the poor, have compassion for those you disagree with, get out of people's private lives and stop trying to legislate your religion, forcing it down everybody's throat. They heared, they listened and the disagree, now you move the hell on.

September 28, 2011 at 10:40 am |
    • PooDIPIDI

Why? Who the h3ll is God? Have you personally met him yet? What was he like? Was in in the form of a burning bush? Did you shake his hand? No? Then how can you be so sure he exists. What if you just now found out the Easter Bunny doesn't exist? After all these years you were tricked. What to do then? What makes your God better than mine, or others? How would you know? Is it because you were raised into it by family? Hmmm, so many questions, too little time.

September 28, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • cmowhite

You are against God, NUT!!

September 28, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  19. Bubba Grump

Obama is a half-assed President, but any Republican would be worse. Very much worse. This is just par for the course, folks.

September 28, 2011 at 10:22 am |