home
RSS
A movement to paint Obama as the Antichrist?
President Obama reacts as he's heckled at a Los Angeles fundraiser Monday night.
September 27th, 2011

A movement to paint Obama as the Antichrist?

By Dan Gilgoff and Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editors

(CNN) - On our sister blog The 1600 Report, CNN's Alex Mooney notes a discrepancy in the official White House transcript of a California fundraiser Monday night, during which a person who heckled President Barack Obama was escorted out by security.

Here's the White House transcript's account of the heckler:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: The Christian God is the only true living God, the Creator of the heavens and the universe.

But Mooney observes that the White House pool report records the heckler as being much more blunt, yelling "'Barack Obama is the Antichrist!"

The president interrupted his remarks at the fundraiser, held at Los Angeles' House of Blues, to respond to the heckler.

"First of all, I agree Jesus Christ is the Lord," Obama said. "I believe in that. I do have a question, though. I think the young man may have left his jacket... "

Ironically, the remark about Obama as the Antichrist came the same day that The New York Times ran an op-ed arguing that the Antichrist is assuming a bigger place in the public discourse, as evangelical Christian ideas about the end times gain traction.

In a piece titled "Why the Antichrist Matters in Politics," Washington State University history professor Matthew Avery Sutton argues that, for some Christians, Obama fits into ideas about the Antichrist, whose arrival is believed to be a portent of the end times and Jesus' second coming:

For some evangelicals, President Obama is troubling. The specious theories about his place of birth, his internationalist tendencies, his measured support for Israel and his Nobel Peace Prize fit their long-held expectations about the Antichrist. So does his commitment to expanding the reach of government in areas like health care.

The op-ed was the most e-mailed piece on nytimes.com for much of Tuesday.

In the 2008 campaign, Republican presidential nominee John McCain released an anti-Obama ad called "The One" that ridiculed Obama for what it said was his messiah complex. Some critics claimed the spot was a veiled attempt to paint Obama as the Antichrist, though the McCain camp denied it.

What do you think? Is there a gathering movement to paint the president as the Antichrist? Are such charges overblown attempt to discredit Obama's critics?

Read Mooney's full report here.
- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Christianity • Politics

soundoff (2,491 Responses)
  1. Carol

The Christian far-right get more radical every day, why humor them with an Anti-Christ article such as this? When you hit a wasp nest they come out crazier than ever and attack whatever is near them. These overly religious people are doing the same thing, they are disturbed and are striking out with the only thing they know or want to know their way of interpreting the Holy Bible.

September 28, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Damian

Sad but true..........their warped varied interpretations of a fictional novel navigating them through life.

September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  2. jnab

Sigh.

September 28, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  3. BILL

I recall evengelicals in the late sixties and early seventies tried to attach the "anti-christ" label to Henry Kissinger.There seems to be an urge among our more zealous Christian brothers and sisters to second guess the Lord"s plans rather than to live by faith. They seem suspect every prominent person that doesn't conform to their particular variety of belief. Thankfully, the Lord I worship is generally forgiving in nature and usually happy to listen to me ramble on about my daily life.

September 28, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  4. thegoldenrule

Thank you, lordofexcess, for finally the voice of reason. ".....Until the flocks begin to return to the teachings of christ, until they return to compassion and kindness towards their fellow man ... believer and non-believer alike ... until christian charity and a loving of thy neighbor returns ... then Christians themselves are nothing more than tools being used by those who are not doing good work in the name of the Lord." We need Jesus to step between us and the "crowd" and ask "he who is without sin can cast the 1st stone". Were is the Love and Compassion; the master serving the servant as the does the servant to the master? We should all be on our knees asking for Jesus' forgiveness and guidance and love for all of our brothers and sisters throughout the world instead of doing the devil's work of spewing vile against anyone who does not see things as we see it. Believers; 0 the devil; 10

September 28, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  5. hotcupoftruth

Obama imay not be the Anti-Christ, but he is certainly one of his closest friends and henchman.

September 28, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • u r a nutjob

r u jealous?

September 28, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Complete and total moron

Rotflmao!!! Now that's funny.

September 28, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Chuck P

A good example of our nations need for better educational standards, sad

September 28, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • Bible Clown

Nonsense, he and Dubya have barely spoken since he defeated Dubya in the election.

September 28, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
  6. Colin

Who is most likely to think they will live happily ever after they die in a magic place where only good things happen, provided they follow some special rules laid down in a magic book:

(a) A seven year-old girl who has just read Cinderella;

(b) a ten year-old boy who has just read Harry Potter;

(c) an evangelical Christian who has just read the “Bible”; or

(d) all of the above?

September 28, 2011 at 11:03 am |
  7. wade

Obama is the most divisive and biggest hypocrite and liar and he is an Antichrist! He dose not need help from others to sell that point he has done it all on his own.
    My question is when will the media stop protecting him and start doing their job as the reporters of truth.

September 28, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • u r a nutjob

'cause you can't handle the truth!

September 28, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • steven harnack

Maybe all of you mad dog christians got that way because you're too illiterate to read and understand your own user's manual?

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • RobPhilly

My question is what's it like, dropping out of middle school?

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • McDogfood's Manager

Wade, you need to get out there and bus the tables instead of fiddling with your phone all day.

September 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  8. Jeff Collins

How exactly is this kind of thing any different from the religious nonsense that people in the US get so high and mighty about when criticizing other countries? I'm surprized CNN is giving it any coverage at all; it's more like something you'd find on Fox.

Jeff
    Click http://tinyurl.com/USurvive for Crisis Survival Guide. – >o.o<

September 28, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • u r a nutjob

get back 2 work

September 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  9. O.T.

This story only illustrates how desperate CNN and NYT are to reelect Obama. Probably not .1% of the population thinks Obama is the literal anti-Christ. Probably 1% use the term for a short-hand for how bad they think he is for the country. But the story is useful for characterizing everyone who thinks Obama's policies are horrible for the nation as a bunch of lunatics. That way, independents can be held in line. I mean, who would want to vote with lunatics.

September 28, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • steven harnack

Bush got appointed once and elected once(maybe)so apparently the answer to your question is approximately half of the U.S. voters.

September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  10. kgkay

This shouldn't even be a news story. It only fuels the continued disrespect of the President.

September 28, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • Al

Only to the uneducated. I see your point.

September 28, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • u r a nutjob

cuz' all the undereducated, left and right wing folks that we have in our country deserve a chance to speak 2

September 28, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  11. chana

I am a Christian and I have to step in and put some things into light. There are so many out there claiming Christ as there savior but don't follow his teachings. They behave like they are perfect and never sin at all while condemning everyone else around them. they wouldn't know true scripture if Jesus was preaching it to them himself. They let the world view decide what is christian for them instead of reading there bibles and knowing the truth for themselves No one practices Jesus' teachings, no one practices love your neighbor, hardly anyone. I have to explain this to so many fellow Christians that Jesus meant love everyone, not just the people that agree with you or that you like, or just fellow Christians everyone, especially the ones you don't like or that don't agree with your beliefs. Christianity is a tool used by our government, they say there Christians just to get the vote. To me I think 90% of the ones claiming to be part of the christian family have no idea how far out they really are and are just making the rest of us look crazy. I do believe there is One God, creator of Heaven and Earth, I do believe that Jesus came and died for my sins and offers this Salvation to anyone that accepts it, and just not the perfect people, anyone especially the sinners, I am Queen of the sinners but I know Jesus forgives me and loves me. there is so much beauty to being Christian and all it takes is reading your Bible, I have to know my Bible that way I know garbage teaching when it is preached. and it it preached so often and twisted to fit peoples own agendas a lot of the time and that is all non Christians see. Just pick up the bible and read and see how it feels, read the Genius that Jesus is, the love letters written for you from God, God willing it will speak to you and you will be called. I liken witnessing about Christ like trying to explain the beauty of the ocean to a blind person...I can't make you understand until your eyes are open, but once they are it is the most beautiful thing you will have seen. Jesus saves and loves us all and he did not come for the well but for the sick. he accepts everyone that loves him. Please don't let the world teach you, read for yourself.

September 28, 2011 at 11:00 am |
    • Jollymon

Chana, I have read the Bible, which is the biggest reason I would never be a Christian or believe in that, or any god. The book is filled with bad morals, violence and other atrocities I will not go into here.

Also, if you are so well-read, one would think you know the difference between there and THEIR.

"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages."

September 28, 2011 at 11:05 am |
    • Ted

Love thy neighbor, but hate thy President.
      Christianity anno 2011

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • hrcane

YOU can't explain to ME until MY EYES ARE OPEN?

That is the issue most non-Christian have with Christians (and other religions, though Christianity tends to speak it most loudly"...

ARROGANCE.

To think that YOU need to help ME SEE is just a wee bit arrogant...No? Perhaps WE are just fine. We live good lives without YOUR god. We make our own choices and let others live their lives without trying to convert them to this alleged one true way. I do not purport to tell others how to live their lives except in this way...let me live mine free from your arrogance and judgment

September 28, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • JF

Jollymon is correct. The Bible is immoral. Take off the faith blinders and read it for the first time.

September 28, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • chana

Jollymon,
      Thank you for pointing that out I do get those two confused, there and their. Thank you for correcting my error. That is great that you tried and it didn't speak you to you. I did not write that post to shove my opinion down anyone's throat I was just posting my opinion hoping that it would call someone else to the Lord. Also no where in my post do I claim to be well read, I said I knew my scripture and am confused with the bad morals that your speaking of in the Bible. I also wrote that to speak to people like you, the one's that hate us with such passion and think we are all crazy. If Christianity is meaningless to you then why do you get so defensive and heated over it. all it took was one week over 2000 years ago to challenge the world every day since. I don't agree with a lot of things so I stay out of them. I do agree with you about the government using it as a tool as I mentioned in my previous post.

September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • chana

hrcane,
      I am not being arrogant and sorry if that is the way I came off, I merely meant that as a metaphor. just like if you loved soccer and I didn't I wouldn't get what you saw until my eyes were opened to your point of view. This is my exact point. The world view of the Worlds Christians has only caused people to hate us and misjudge us. we are the last group of people that you can just say whatever mean horrible things about open and freely. I was just trying to point out that there are so many fake Christians misusing our beliefs and that is all everyone else sees.

September 28, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • chana

I do not think I am better then anyone, and I do love my neighbor, even the ones that hate me and think I am crazy.

September 28, 2011 at 11:27 am |
    • Jollymon

You haven't found any bad morals in the Bible!?!? REALLY?

Ok, just for you I will do this since it seems you are yet another Christian who hasn't actually READ your own holy book:

Timothy 2:9-14 ,Genesis 3:16, Corinthians 14:33-35, Ephesians 5:22-24, Peter 3:1-6 (oppression of women)

Exodus 21:7-11 (selling ones own daughter into slavery)

Deuteronomy 21:10-14 (taking women as spoils of war)

Luke 12:47, Timothy 6, Ephesians 6:5-6, Exodus 21:20-21 (slavery)

Exodus 21:17, Leviticus 20:9, Matthew 15:4 (kill your own children for cursing at parent)

I could go on and on and on and on, but you really need to READ the Bible for yourself, not pick and choose the few good things Jesus said.

September 28, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • Jean Sartre Milwaukee, WI

Oh, yes, that quaint little bible book: Old Testament, written by a assortment of very, very angry jews who could never quench their blood lust; New Testament, written by an assortment of folks barely clinging to reality and abusing Valium.

Hence: we move from a god who never saw anything [he?] did not want to kill to a new god – he went to anger management training – and now [he?] loves everything...

Bi-polar comes to mind here...

September 28, 2011 at 11:44 am |
    • chana

Jollymon,
      Yes Christian women do have a specific role that they play, and that is part of accepting Christianity, like it or leave it but there are also beauties that come with this role.also if you want to talk about women in the bible read Galatians 3 26- 29 "You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, MALE NOR FEMALE."
      Exodus and Deuteronomy are Old testament are Christians are released from the old testament it is merely a history for us and also shows us the prophesy of Christ. as far as the slavery yes there was slavery back then and you are taking those vs out of context. why don't you read 1 Corinthians 7 21-23 "where you a slave when you were called? don't let it trouble you-although if you can regain your freedom, do so. for he who was a slave when he was called by the Lord is the Lords freedman;similarly , he who was a free man when he was called is Christs slave. you were bought at a price; do not become slaves of men."
      you want to use Matthew to trip up my words like the pharisees were trying, read the whole verse; Matthew 15 1-10 in fact read all of Matthew.
      let's read Luke6 27-42 about love for your enemies, not judging other. why don't you read the whole sermon on the mound Matthew chapters 5-7 and tell me what you can find with that.
      I love it when people take a verse here and a verse there and string it together to make it fit into what they want. Why don't you try and read how forgiving and loving Jesus is in Luke 7 36-50 or no matter how sinful we get or how far we stray he will always take us back Luke 15 1-31.
      I do know my scripture, and I do know my salvation and if you read the Bible and get nothing but negativity and hate from try reading with understanding and reading the whole thing. You can not with Any book jump from middle to end to beginning to middle again and have a clear idea of what is going on or what the books meaning is.

September 28, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • chana

Jollymon,
      I am not going to kid myself the Old Testament is full of shocking things, WHY?? Because it is an account of real life back then. You look at any time in History and it is full of shocking things. The Bible is Blunt and straight to the point of how it was, is, and going to be. God is not this elected official that has to explain himself. He gave us a guide book on how to follow him and FREE WILL to choose if we wanted to or not. He never said we had to believe so if you don't believe then don't it is your choice. All any true Christian will do is offer an invitation to learn more more, welcome you to our churches or bible groups, we're not taking blood oaths at the door. It is a compliment when a Christian invites you to learn about Jesus. It means that person cares enough to share this wonderful thing they have found. Just like if I had an awesome new thing that made my life easier i would share it with all I loved. If you have encountered a rude person that damns you to hell for not believing and judges you and puts themselves above you then my apologies you have just met a FAKE Christian. My whole point from the beginning was that Christians are misrepresented by all these FAKE Christians that do not know scripture, do not follow Christianity. We are looked at with ridicule and disrespect. Not one time in any of my post have I cast down judgement or tried to make you or anyone feel stupid for not believing, the same can not be said for others against me. Where is the Arrogance coming from, me or everyone else trying to trip me up and make me look stupid. Go ahead, yes maybe I am stupid but I am not up here speaking on things I do not know and i am surely not trying to put anyone down. I merely invited people to Christ, pointed out that I do not like how My God and Savior are used as Government tools for the mindless and offered a clear view of what I believed. If you really truly have no interest or any feeling at all one way or another about Christianity then why do you keep responding.

September 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  12. Jana Gilliland

The Christians I grew up listening to have always had a distrust of anyone different. Most of the people I knew believed John F Kennedy was the antichrist, largly because he was Catholic. For some reason they NEED this larger than life supervillian. Hence one of many reasons I am an agnostic,

So much BS, so little time.

September 28, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Cali Ines

We the people walk in "Truth" and do not criticize other religions, we pray for all people to be saved from the lies of men... Obama is a great speaker and president, so STOP BEING HATERS people.... Jah, Bless!

September 28, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Rozelyn Parker

I agree, completely. It is waste of time and foolery. I have been amazed on the actions taken to discredit our "President". I do not agree with everything that occurs on the Hill, but I would never go to such extreme levels to discourage support of the President. What a mockery and shameful...

September 28, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  13. AD

This is the most desperate republican campaign strategy I have ever seen.

September 28, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Gary Davis

anyone that thinks the wy these so called christians are trying to paint our President as an anti anything , are just straight up racist pigs and that is giving a pig a bad wrap . the truth is republicans cant stand the idea that Prewsident Obama will win his second term . and the list of republican wanna be's is pathetic . they might as well ask tricky dicky chenney to give it a run with Christie the thug. . anyway what a bunch of pathetic religious freaks . if the endof time is comming then I want to be on the side of President Obama . this man has proven to be a great leader doing great things with out republican help . the republicans are the real problem . bunch of puppets to the corporate CEO'S like a flock of flying pigs . their I go again giving pigs a bad wrap . LOL

September 28, 2011 at 11:07 am |
  14. Colin

Which of the following groups believes that an invisible being in the sky is watching their every move and will punish them if they are bad:

(a) Small children, too young to know that is silly

(b) Delusional schizophrenics

(c) American evangelical Christians; or

(d) All of the above

September 28, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Realitybites

You forgot e) none of the above
      Intelligent, insightful people who realize that all of the various life forms on this earth did not spring up out a a bunch of cells and simply evolve. That's about as beleivable as 'Jack and the Beanstalk'

September 28, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • Gary Davis

you forgot to add the tea party nut jobs . the real base to the republican party . mostly retired white middle and lower class people . who are recieving social security and medi care ., and they satnd with the republican party wanting to give it up . these people think Paul Ryan is wonderful . Ryan is puppet to the top CEO's of the business world follows the ideas of Hitlers Gestapo and SS

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • Colin

Realitybites – yes, six days and a talking snake make much more sense than a gradual evolution and diversification of life over the 4.5 billion years of Earth's history.

September 28, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Jean Sartre Milwaukee, WI

I believe in Jack and the Beanstalk!

That story is far more credible than any supreme super nut who watches everything you do 24/7 and will judge you, and perhaps,send you to another fantasy place called hell, but he loves you...

September 28, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  15. Tea Party Fan

Where did I put my torch and pitchfork? There it is over by my Bible of course, silly me.

September 28, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Gary Davis

lol all day long thank you

September 28, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  16. JB

I don't believe Obama is the AntiChrist. I really think we should be focused on the economy as opposed to trying to inflame the passions of so-called Christian idiots who seemed to have forgotten the basic tenets of their religion which is love – love thy neighbor as thyself. What I don't understand is why is everyone not talking about the economy in the context of the tax cuts given to the rich to create jobs. President Bush gave them tax cuts with the understanding that they would reinvest thus creating jobs. They did not reinvest and thus no jobs. Now, we seem to leaning toward the notion that we should give them something else or more money to get them to live up to the expectation of the original tax cut. This is ridiculous. The other issue is that the independents have brought people to congress that have an agenda that is different than what they thought and are now disappointed with their performance. Let me be clear – they have brought into Congress people that are ideologically different than what they voted for and are surprised by this. The other issue is that states (Republican) are taking the unusual step of trying to suppress voting to prevent a Democratic win in the presidential election. This is un-American since voting is at the core of our Democracy. You would think they would try to expand voting rather than try to make it harder for people to vote since they know that high voter turnout works against them. I agree that our country is in a sad state of affairs, but not because of Obama. I am thoroughly disheartened at how our electorate have allowed men to occupy government who act in the best interest of themselves and the folks that are paying them. Rick Perry's popularity is waning because of his compassionate stance on immigration. We continue to send these Republican idiots to Congress and expect for the country to be moved ahead. This is a ridiculous notion. It simply makes no sense. When will we wake up?

September 28, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  17. jnyc68

Why is the media, and frankly our pragmatic members of the population, call out the Christian -Right for what they are....The christian equivilant of the Taliban. They are ignorant and crazy.

September 28, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • ProudMuslim

Please do not insult the Taliban with that comparison.

September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  18. Weiser

Obama the teleprompter preacher. Obama sat in the front row of Rev Wright's Church of Hate for years. Of course Obama didn't hear anything because he agreed with Wright. So now Obama continues to teach hate and divide the country. Want a leader who will Unit America, or of a decisive hating teleprompter preacher who will divide this Nation for years to come?

September 28, 2011 at 10:56 am |
    • u r a nutjob

the only hate i am seeing is the GOP, teatotalers and undereducated individuals like yourself.

September 28, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Gary Davis

right on the money most republicans are nut jobs . they think being white is power over humanity ., these fraks make me sick . the only people that will leave the planet if this so called end of time comes is the ones that follow the republican doctrine and Tea Party , & far right christian evangelical nuts . America elected Obama and we will do it again . we can't deal with another republican administration . puppets to the rich 2% greedy pigs . hmmm their I go again giving pigs a bad wrap . LOL

September 28, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Jean Sartre Milwaukee, WI

Such hatred and bigotry... you must be a Pee Party Bagger...

Did not – taken from the christian fairy book – kick the money lenders out of the temple?
      These would be the modern day lobbyists and corporations controlling our government.

Did not this guy named christ wash the feet of a harlot?

Did not this same guy named christ preach forgiveness and understanding and love?

Most people have to actually listen to other people to understand them and listening to aother person does not necessarily mean that you agree with them or hold their same views.

I listen to you and I suspect I understand where you are coming from: some where around the 16th century and I certainly do not agree with you.

I really would suggest therapy, lots of it, and a lot of meds would not hurt either...

September 28, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Bible Clown

"Want a leader who will Unit America," Then we'd elect Anthony Weiner and his Magic Unit, wouldn't we? Personally I don't want my leader's unit anywhere near America. Keep it in your pants.

September 28, 2011 at 2:21 pm |
    • Bible Clown

"Obama continues to teach hate" You can't possibly believe that. The guy's a Christian, happily married with two little girls. You don't like his politics and you resent his color, so you tell a lie about him? I just don't see you as a good Christian, ready to enter heaven; you are full of hatred and deceit. Just admit you can't follow Christ's great commandment to love your fellow man and ask Him for help, if you really "believe."

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • u r a nutjob

Spirits come ou!!

September 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  19. Norman

Actually, wouldn't it be great if Obama really was anti-Christ (general case)? It would be great to have an elected leader who didn't pander to the Christian wingnuts.

Funny that in this day and age people still cling to their Christian fairy tales that weren't even credible when they were written (and written by many authors, at that).

September 28, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Xfan

As a wingnut, I'd caution you about wishing for the anti-christ. You do realize that the people who follow the anti-christ will believe that he is Christ and will, for the most part at least, claim to be Christians themselves. The anti-christ of Scripture is described as essentially convincing everyone, other than a small remnant of people who know Scripture well enough to not be deceived by the anti-christ, and he will act and do things incredible enough and similar enough to what people think Scripture says as to deceive the everyone else on the planet, including the most devout athiests on the planet.

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Norman

Xfan, you do realize that you totally missed the point? You stupid wingnut.

September 28, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • Ben

So xfan, did you sacrifice a poor animal and burn it today, as the bible commands you to? And don't come back with that "OT doesn't apply" cr-ap or you'll be admitting that your "god" was wrong.

Stupid religious sheeple...

September 28, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  20. Maura

Are you kidding me? Why is this on the front page of cnn?

September 28, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Burbank

Because CNN has turned into a mental candy magazine.

September 28, 2011 at 11:07 am |