home
RSS
A movement to paint Obama as the Antichrist?
President Obama reacts as he's heckled at a Los Angeles fundraiser Monday night.
September 27th, 2011

A movement to paint Obama as the Antichrist?

By Dan Gilgoff and Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editors

(CNN) - On our sister blog The 1600 Report, CNN's Alex Mooney notes a discrepancy in the official White House transcript of a California fundraiser Monday night, during which a person who heckled President Barack Obama was escorted out by security.

Here's the White House transcript's account of the heckler:

AUDIENCE MEMBER: The Christian God is the only true living God, the Creator of the heavens and the universe.

But Mooney observes that the White House pool report records the heckler as being much more blunt, yelling "'Barack Obama is the Antichrist!"

The president interrupted his remarks at the fundraiser, held at Los Angeles' House of Blues, to respond to the heckler.

"First of all, I agree Jesus Christ is the Lord," Obama said. "I believe in that. I do have a question, though. I think the young man may have left his jacket... "

Ironically, the remark about Obama as the Antichrist came the same day that The New York Times ran an op-ed arguing that the Antichrist is assuming a bigger place in the public discourse, as evangelical Christian ideas about the end times gain traction.

In a piece titled "Why the Antichrist Matters in Politics," Washington State University history professor Matthew Avery Sutton argues that, for some Christians, Obama fits into ideas about the Antichrist, whose arrival is believed to be a portent of the end times and Jesus' second coming:

For some evangelicals, President Obama is troubling. The specious theories about his place of birth, his internationalist tendencies, his measured support for Israel and his Nobel Peace Prize fit their long-held expectations about the Antichrist. So does his commitment to expanding the reach of government in areas like health care.

The op-ed was the most e-mailed piece on nytimes.com for much of Tuesday.

In the 2008 campaign, Republican presidential nominee John McCain released an anti-Obama ad called "The One" that ridiculed Obama for what it said was his messiah complex. Some critics claimed the spot was a veiled attempt to paint Obama as the Antichrist, though the McCain camp denied it.

What do you think? Is there a gathering movement to paint the president as the Antichrist? Are such charges overblown attempt to discredit Obama's critics?

Read Mooney's full report here.
- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Christianity • Politics

soundoff (2,491 Responses)
  1. NewsAnalyst

It indicates that anyone born out of the US is an antichrist. Nonsense!

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • u r a nutjob

OMG! Then we all, except the American Indians, are the anti christ. Well at least we have tha figured out...

September 28, 2011 at 11:19 am |
  2. tony

The vile marketeers who came up with this section of CNN "news" should be burnt at the stake as witches.

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  3. David Coursey

Reagan was the antichrist. Want proof? rem 666? Ronald six letters. Wilson six letters. Reagan six letters. lol. about the logic of these nutcases. BTW, it is actually 616. Mistranslation from original

September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • JF

616. I forgot about that. That was Nero right? He burned down his city I think. So many anti-Christs not enough time.

September 28, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  4. ...

If President Obama, was the antichrist. The rapture would have happened by now. People are so dumb, read the bible. I dont read it all but even I know that.

September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • blazinbrazen

true...so true...the antichrist would be revealed at the same time of the rapture

September 28, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Chris

Actually the rapture is not necessarily true. The bible doesn't flat out say there will be a rapture, that is just an interpretation. In my opinion, the anti-Christ won't be an American but someone from Europe. He will also control something much larger like the EU or the UN.

September 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  5. Colin

Which of the following groups bases their 21st Century outlook on life on a collection of Bronze Age myths from the Middle East, that were cobbled together into a book during the Dark Ages:

(a) The Ayatollahs of Iran

(b) The Afghan Taliban

(c) American evangelical Christians; or

(d) All of the above?

September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  6. Richard S Kaiser

Jhn 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

This Kingdom we are within, not being the Kingdom of the Gods, is then whose Kingdom? Mankind's kingdom? If so, then who shall we claim to be our King if this kingdom we live in is but a mankind' kingdom? Seems to me that the nations and countries, etc want no part in outrightly proclaiming that there ought be a King of mankind to rule over us. When will we get over this idiocy that Christ Jesus will someday come back to this realm/kingdom for in Luk 17:21 is written "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is inside/within you."

Can't you see that this kingdom we now reside in is not the Kingdoms of the Gods for these Kingdoms of the Gods lay inside us? 1Cr 3:9 “For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.” We are the buildings wherein are the habitations of the Gods.

Some of our embodiment buildings are temples. 1Cr 3:16 "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" Get therefore on with living your life here upon the plain of mankind's kingdomships. One day when the deadening becomes you, will there then be your embodiment rapture and a divisioning of things that are inside you to be divided up among the family members of the God who first created your body and His servants and subjects. Be you religious and godly or be you atheistic and ungodly, the deadening comes to all.

Make peace with your mind's eye and try to be of comfort to your family members and social freindships.

September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am |
    • André

too long didnt read

September 28, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  7. blazinbrazen

last I checked Hawaii was in the sea. Surrounded on all sides by water. LOL The meaning of dude's name tells you who he is...

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  8. Craig

Although I don't believe that President Obama is the Anti-Christ I do believe he is setting us up for him. When people rely on the government to take care of their needs, which is what many of our young people are starting to experience with 3 years of paid unemployment, food stamps and stimulus money that makes it their way. That is setting them up for the Anit-Christ, obey or suffer and parish.The ones who hide in the belief that there is no God will suffer in that they did not educate their children about what to do when the time comes. I will pray for those of you who don't believe.

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • JF

You do realize that you are just as wacky as those who think he is the anti-Christ?

September 28, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • u r a nutjob

So President Obama is kind of like setting a lob involleyball for the inevitable spike?

September 28, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • u r a nutjob

By Satan?

September 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • Ed Galbraith

Craig...take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself if you REALLY believe what you are talking about. I doubt it. Be truthful.

September 28, 2011 at 11:22 am |
    • NewsAnalyst

The Bible says, be your brother's keeper. Craig. If you have everything and see a hungry man and decide not to give him food, you are also a sinner. Obama did not create the recession. The government is helping to keep food on the table of the unemployed families.

September 28, 2011 at 11:24 am |
    • AB

You are so right Obama is paving the way for Mr. Bad guy to take over. Not many people can see that. I wish people can see that, then again if you don't know the Lord Jesus as your personal savior, you won't be able to see it. I watch the people around me and at work; their trust is on the job and the government instead of relying on the Lord Jesus for their needs. I feel pity for them because of the Lord I feel so much freedom I am not afraid at all watching the Bible prophecy unfolded right before my eyes and if I was to witness to them, they make so much fun of me, only if they know what is about to happen. The policy at work is that you don’t talk about Christianity to anyone. Although that did not stop me from telling them about the Lord.

September 28, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  9. LarryMoniz

Obama is the AntiChrist. That's a new low even for the ultra extreme religious right Christian groups. That smacks more of the sort of absurd rhetoric to come from the mouth of a Muslim Terrorist rather any sane people of any religion. More than anything it shows the fundamentalist groups are treading further and further into the depths of open racial bigotry rather than political beliefs.

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  10. ksta77

Why would you report such garbage? Why does CNN give voice to drivel like this? If you want a better discourse, you guys are the fountainhead. If you want trash, keep doing what you're doing.

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  11. madoc

Sad really... He's not popular enough to be the antichrist (Seriously, if you read it he's supposed to be far more popular among all nations then barack has been).

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • blazinbrazen

dude, before he was elected he went to France and spoke in public in front of more people than were at the soldier field during his election night speech, or whatever that was...they love him like funky pits in Europe...

September 28, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • madoc

@blazinbrazen

True, and many danced when he was elected, but do they do so now?

September 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
  12. Burbank

Makes me laugh. I thought Bush was the antichrist when I was out of work for 4 years due to the high tech crash in 2001. We didn't get any bail outs by the way, just had to get through it on our own.

At one point, at age 52, I went for 14 months without enough to eat, all the ribs on my back showed and I lost a tooth to scurvy, which a bottle of vitamin C every 3 months could have prevented. With a $10 per week food budget, a $8 bottle of C was not an option.

My "Oh so devout" Christian brother was off helping people in Ecuador get clean water and chose to turn a blind eye to his own sister, never bothered to ask if I could use any help. Just another case of Chtistian hypocrisy. It's his shame, not mine!

Finally 4 years later and 3 days away from going homeless I found underpaid work in the nick of time. I am OK now and back to making a good living again, but I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the "Christians" that gossiped and branded me as a ne'er do well. They are the ones that are out of work now and look at me with chastened faces. He who laughs last...

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • madoc

Not once did you go to a local church and asked for help? Most churches in my area have a full pantry and they freely give the food and water to the person in need. It is only your fault that you did not contact someone for help, do not blame those (except your brother) who did not know of your plight.

September 28, 2011 at 11:15 am |
    • paul

Wow. Glad you're doing better.

September 28, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  13. JoJo

I'm a 60 year old moderate conservative, and I remember a day when American conservatism represented intelligence, respect for science and education, open-mindedness, a reluctance to advocate war unless necessary, compassion, tolerance, sincerity..... All gone.

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • paul

I'm 42 and I remember that too. We were all real people. These folks here are CRAZY.

September 28, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • Burbank

I'm a 60 year old moderate liberal and I agree with you 100%. All this cr-p has caused me to leave the D party and become an independent. I think we need to scrap the party system altogether. It's an old system that doesn't work anymore. I think getting rid of polarizing parties might bring a return to sound values and common decency. You and I probably have a lot more in common than we do with the wing-nuts of our respective sides. I tell people I belong to the Common Sense party.

September 28, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  14. svann

There are many clues in the bible about how to identify the anti-christ. But what these guys are saying does not come from the bible.

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • BillBones

svann, what are they? How do we recognize the anti-Christ

September 28, 2011 at 11:12 am |
    • mark

Read Revelation

September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am |
    • u r a nutjob

just listen to ZZ TOPS "Sharp dressed Man"

September 28, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • svann

For one thing he will have a fatal head wound that he will miraculously survive.

September 28, 2011 at 11:16 am |
    • Drew

Most of these people have never even read the bible in it's entirety. The one's that do, don't actually follow it either, they're cherry pickers at best, picking and choosing while ignoring anything they feel necessary. If you say the bible is the word of God, then follow it entirely. Do not work the Sabbath, do not wear clothes woven in more than one thread type, no more tattoos, astrology, no more shaving your beards or cutting your hair and no more shrimp or anything that isn't a fish. The list goes on and on with abominations outlined in the bible. Cherry Pickers, all of them and raging hypocrites.

September 28, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  15. RT

If there was ever an American anti-Christ it would be George W. Bush, and/or his sinister under lord Dick Cheney. They, and their henchman, Don Rumsfeld, were the embodiment of a three-headed serpent that spat fire into the world. They stole two elections and threw our great wealth away while Congress did nothing to stop them and religious evangelicals swooned. To accuse them of being "evil doers" was blasphemous and treasonous.
    The dye is cast; the apocalypse has already begun. Enjoy the show!

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  16. mark

As a Believer in the Christian faith, I can assure you Pres. Obama is not the Antichrist.

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  17. Zieroh

The notion that Obama is the Antichrist is ludicrous on the face of it. The idea was manufactured by opposing politicians and strategists in order to turn public opinion against Obama, using the faith of Christian believers for political ends. The fact that so many Christians were actually dumb enough to believe it is proof that Christianity in America is very quickly losing touch with reality, and soon will be viewed with the same contempt as a cult.

As for this article, the authors further erode the credibility of Christianity just by posing such a ridiculous question.

September 28, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • 6km n of ground zero

Very well put.
      One point of disagreement: I don't think the extremist Christians will be viewed with contempt any more than the Taliban or Al-Queda are viewed with contempt.

September 28, 2011 at 11:13 am |
  18. ConfucianScholar

Those claims are RIDICULOUS!...Barry is nothing more than a terrible president.

September 28, 2011 at 11:09 am |
  19. Colin

You know, if we denied the vote to those who didn't finish high school, we would probably take out 99% of evangelicals and nobody would have to care what they thought.

September 28, 2011 at 11:08 am |
    • u r a nutjob

we don't now.

September 28, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • Colin

u r a nutjob – agreed, but unfortunately politicians do. Do you really think Rick Perry thinks the World began 6,000 years ago with a talking snake? Of course not, but he has to keep these simpletons happy until after the primary.

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |
    • Louise

Funny, I have a PhD, am an evangelical and don't believe that Obama is the Anti-Christ. Please don't paint everyone with the same broad brush. I

September 28, 2011 at 11:14 am |
  20. svann

Trash journalism. How would the birther question fit into the anti-christ lore? It doesnt at all. The beast is said to come out of the sea, not from a Hawaiin hospital or even Kenya.

September 28, 2011 at 11:07 am |
    • u r a nutjob

because those with simple minds make it what they want it to be...........They probably read it at Wal-Mart

September 28, 2011 at 11:10 am |