home
RSS
September 30th, 2011

Worshippers at al-Awlaki's old mosque 'not glad' he's dead, but 'it's helpful'

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Falls Church, Virginia (CNN)– Worshippers hurried by a host of cameras and reporters on their way to Friday prayers at the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center. Many of those who stopped to ask about the gaggle of media found out for the first time American Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who once stood in their pulpit, had been killed Friday by a CIA drone strike in Yemen.

“I think he should have gotten a proper burial as a Muslim, but as a human being I don’t think he was right for his mentality and his morality,” said Jouwad Syed, who recently started attending the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center.

“In a way, we’re not glad that he’s dead. At the same token, it’s helpful. We’re trying to clear our name. There’s crazy people everywhere you go in different religions. He’s just one of the few and he definitely doesn’t represent what Islam is all about,” Syed said.

Al-Awlaki was the imam at Al-Hijarh from January 2001 until 2002, when he left the United States for London before eventually resettling in Yemen. While he was in the States he preached to and interacted with three of the September 11, 2001, hijackers, according to the 9/11 Commission report, but he publicly condemned the attack afterward.

“While employed at Dar Al-Hijrah, he was known for his interfaith outreach, civic engagement, and tolerance in the Northern Virginia community,” Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, the current leader of the mosque said in a written statement. “However, after Mr. Al-Awlaki’s departure in 2002, he was arrested by Yemeni authorities and allegedly tortured. It was then that Al-Awlaki began preaching violence.”

His ability to speak English and communicate the positions of al-Queda drew al-Awlaki the nickname “the bin Laden of the Internet.”

“Al-Awlaki will no longer spread his hate speech over the Internet to Muslim youth provoking them to engage in violence against Americans. We reiterate that as an American faith community we do not accept violence nor extremism and recommit ourselves to our message living our faith in peace, tolerance, and the promotion of the public good,” Abdul-Malik continued.

Read more about al-Awlaki on CNN's Security Clearance blog

“Some one that’s not in line with Islam; you gotta break away from them,” said Monsoor Rashid, who works for the Army National Guard as a civilian contractor and was on his way into the mosque for noonday prayers.

“Actions of some folks who go to this mosque don’t represent what the mosque is all about. I live in the area, born and raised in America. We don’t obviously feel the same way he did or any of the other terrorists,” Rashid said.

While the mosque has condemned the actions and statements of al-Awlaki, who helped recruit a Nigerian man who tried to blow up a plane in Detroit in 2009 using an underwear bomb, they also expressed their displeasure with manner of his killing.

“We must also add that in previous statements we have rejected the use of extrajudicial assassination of any human being and especially an American citizen which includes Al-Awlaki. We reiterate our commitment to 'due process under law' and justice and are concerned that the alleged drone attack sends the wrong message to law abiding people around the world,” Abdul-Malik’s statement read.

“I would have preferred that he had suffered life in prison. If he’s dead, he’s dead. He didn’t really get to suffer,” Syed said.

Arsalan Iftikhar, the managing editor of the Crescent Post and author of Islamic Pacifism said, “There might be people who might not have fully agreed with the methodology used but I think there are very few people in the Muslim community who are going to lose any sleep at all over the death of Anwar al-Awlaki. If anything he was a stain on the community, both here domestically and globally.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: 9/11 • Belief • Islam

1. Reality

From p. 6:

What instigated the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon? And what drives today's 24/7 mosque/imam-planned acts of terror and horror? The koran, Mohammed's book of death for all infidels and Muslim domination of the world by any means. Muslims must clean up this book removing said passages admitting that they are based on the Gabriel myth and therefore obviously the hallucinations and/or lies of Mohammed. Then we can talk about the safety and location of mosques and what is taught therein.

Until then, no female or male Muslim can be trusted anytime or anywhere..................................

And the koranic/mosque driven acts of terror and horror continue:

The Muslim Conquest of India – 11th to 18th century

■"The likely death toll is somewhere between 2 million and 80 million. The geometric mean of those two limits is 12.7 million. "

and the 19 million killed in the Mideast Slave Trade 7C-19C by Muslims.

and more recently

1a) 179 killed in Mumbai/Bombay, 290 injured

1b) Assassination of Benazir Bhutto and Theo Van Gogh

2) 9/11, 3000 mostly US citizens, 1000’s injured

3) The 24/7 Sunni-Shiite centuries-old blood feud currently being carried out in Iraq, US troops killed in action, 3,480 and 928 in non combat roles. 102,522 – 112,049 Iraqi civilians killed as of 9/16/2011/, mostly due to suicide bombers, land mines and bombs of various types, http://www.iraqbodycount.org/ and http://www.defenselink.mil/news/casualty.pdf

4) Kenya- In Nairobi, about 212 people were killed and an estimated 4000 injured; in Dar es Salaam, the attack killed at least 11 and wounded 85.[2]

5) Bali-in 2002-killing 202 people, 164 of whom were foreign nationals, and 38 Indonesian citizens. A further 209 people were injured.

6) Bali in 2005- Twenty people were killed, and 129 people were injured by three bombers who killed themselves in the attacks.

7) Spain in 2004- killing 191 people and wounding 2,050.

8. UK in 2005- The bombings killed 52 commuters and the four radical Islamic suicide bombers, injured 700.

9) The execution of an eloping couple in Afghanistan on 04/15/2009 by the Taliban.

10) – Afghanistan: US troops 1,385 killed in action, 273 killed in non-combat situations as of 09/15/2011. Over 40,000 Afghan civilians killed due to the dark-age, koranic-driven Taliban acts of horror

11) The killing of 13 citizen soldiers at Ft. Hood by a follower of the koran.

12) 38 Russian citizens killed on March 29, 2010 by Muslim women suicide bombers.

13) The May 28, 2010 attack on a Islamic religious minority in Pakistan, which have left 98 dead,

14) Lockerbie is known internationally as the site where, on 21 December 1988, the wreckage of Pan Am Flight 103 crashed as a result of a terrorist bomb. In the United Kingdom the event is referred to as the Lockerbie disaster, the Lockerbie bombing, or simply Lockerbie. Eleven townspeople were killed in Sherwood Crescent, where the plane's wings and fuel tanks plummeted in a fiery explosion, destroying several houses and leaving a huge crater, with debris causing damage to a number of buildings nearby. The 270 fatalities (259 on the plane, 11 in Lockerbie) were citizens of 21 nations.

15 The daily suicide and/or roadside and/or mosque bombings in the terror world of Islam.

16) Bombs sent from Yemen by followers of the koran which fortunately were discovered before the bombs were detonated.

17) The killing of 58 Christians in a Catholic church in one of the latest acts of horror and terror in Iraq.

18) Moscow airport suicide bombing: 35 dead, 130 injured. January 25, 2011.

19) A Pakistani minister, who had said he was getting death threats because of his stance against the country's controversial blasphemy law, was shot and killed Wednesday, 3/2/2011

20) two American troops killed in Germany by a recently radicalized Muslim, 3/3/2011

21) the kidnapping and apparent killing of a follower of Zoraster in the dark world of Islamic Pakistan.

22) Shariatpur, Bangladesh (CNN 3/30/2011) – Hena Akhter's last words to her mother proclaimed her innocence. But it was too late to save the 14-year-old girl. Her fellow villagers in Bangladesh's Shariatpur district had already passed harsh judgment on her. Guilty, they said, of having an affair with a married man. The imam from the local mosque ordered the fatwa, or religious ruling, and the punishment: 101 lashes delivered swiftly, deliberately in public. Hena dropped after 70 and died a week later.

October 2, 2011 at 12:17 am |
  2. afshch

fanatics and psychopaths exist everywhere and in every religion:

October 1, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
  3. Gaddffly

These people should be glad he didn't recruit any of their friends or family to wear suicide vests.

October 1, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
  4. JohnQ

If al-Awlaki was preaching there, you can bet there will be 10-20 people willing to take his place of leadership. They should have booted him out of the Mosque. But, unfortunately, this crap is going on all over the US. 36 homegrown Muslim attacks have been stopped in the US since 9/11. Wake up people...

October 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
  5. ONE TIME

Kill them all...............

October 1, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
  6. trex

ANYONE that threatens me, my family, my community, my country,.....can certainly die without me feeling the least bit sorry. Go USA!!!!!

October 1, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
    • Finnigan O'Hara

AYE.

October 1, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  7. trex

....ANYON

October 1, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  8. BubbaDaKang

Some of these comments are pretty disgusting,I love this country;but in todays times one doesn't even have to be a conspiracy theorist to have leg it questions or doubts about the american people actually receiving the truth in matters live this...while I don't feel any sympathy for any of the parties involved ..but dead "terrorist" don't offer any comfort to those who have lost their homes,jobs,minds,and a list of other things right here at home

October 1, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  9. israel

these were some very well thought out responses and show the true face of islam, not the one we're so used to seeing in the media, i applaud the members of this mosque for being able to rationally speak their minds about the subject without bias

October 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Richard S Kaiser

GOD’s Love

One should Love GOD because “We are”.
    We are living because of GOD.
    We are learning because of GOD.
    We are seeing our faults because of GOD.
    We are always repentant because of GOD.
    GOD’s Love allows us to be as “We are”.

One should Love GOD because “You are”.
    You are living because of GOD.
    You are learning because of GOD.
    You are seeing your faults because of GOD.
    You are ever repentant because of GOD.
    GOD’s Love allows you to be what “You are”.

I should Love GOD because “I am“.
    I am living because of GOD
    I am learning because of GOD
    I am seeing my faults because of GOD
    I am forevermore repentant because of GOD.
    GOD’s Love allows me to be what "I am".

And with this, I shall bid all goodnight and see you on the flip side,,,,, 🙂 + 😦 = 🙂 + 🙂 & 😦 & 🙂

October 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Finnigan O'Hara

Bllsht. Yu r, thy r bllsht. Yr gd is bllsht. di in yr c

rp.

October 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
  11. Burtm1234

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-Laki !!!!
    Al-Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-Laki !!!!
    Al-Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww-Lucky ?????!!!
    Al-Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-UNLUCKY !!! or maybe...
    Al-Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-notsolucky !!!!

Al-Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww-notsolaki !!! Oh, Wait No wait....Drooooooooooneeeeeeeee.....KABOOOOOOOOOOOMMM !!!!!!

...nothing below his waist.....now its on to Paradise without anything below the wait......The virgins in Paradise are gonna be Soooooooooooooooooooo upset..............NEXT

October 1, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • asche

how long have you been a spastic five year old?

October 1, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  12. Religion is the problem

People believe in a books written by man. Lol don't say is was inspired by god. Face it all religion is because people didn't have the knowledge to explain basic things and what scary to every one death what happens after we die. We don't want to accept that we have go around. The simple fact is that religion now is just used to justify what people do.

October 1, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  13. hippypoet

THE ONLY TRUE GOD, THE ONLY TRUTH BEHIND EXISTENCE- THE SUN!

Come one come all, see the fantasticly real god! feel its touch, warmth, the burn, feel the god that you have been without for so very long! come with me and you will see a true sight to behold more then anyother and the best part is, no special offerings are needed, no place of whorship, just an open hand of life and death. This is the one true god as we know any form of gods on earth. This is the one and only creation that can bring life and death by simple existence. It knows more about the history of our planet then our planet itself. It is what scorned the jews in the dessert not an invisible creation of man! This is what people see when they claim to have seen the light! Only two special days a year, and we get a bonus show of dissappearance and reappearance every so often. My God has shown me the path that lay before me, and said not to me to follow one or the other but instead left it upon me to make my own choice of which way to go. The most important thing about my God is that is has children, but they are not to be whorshipped as they are rivals in the cosmos for the love of my God. The closer you are to my God is not always the safest however, as is being the furthest away. Both have a negitive affect. My God knows math, and science, most importantly knows balance, and teaches without teaching. But my God does scorn the ignorant! Come and whorship with me that which has been whorshipped by the greatest people ever known, whorshipped the longest by the most people in history. Come feel the warmth of my God, and know what it is to live with God always there to shining a light on you. I call my God the SUN. Others have called it Aton the sun disk, but that was 3000 years ago in Egypt, even then the whorship of the SUN was an ancient one long forgotten by the Eyptians at that time. E ven if you wish not to follow belief is not needed as proof of my God is there, all around you, in every thing you touch shows its power.Oh and my God doesn't do to anyone differently then anyother, all shall recieve equal treatment. Go and be in the light.

i stand by my SUN. I know that there are a great deal more stars in the universe then the number you can state, but mine is the one that gives me, us, warmth, air, food, drink, basically – life- and so as i stated its MY GOD – THE SUN... i stated that there may be lesser gods on an earthly realm, but mine created the earth, and keeps it living. I preach its energy, and by transferrence becomes us and all living things on this planet. When it dies is when the memory of it begins if we as a species still exist, but long before its implosion it will engulf the earth during an expansion of the star, called a red gaint, just before going super nova, then finally poof- black hole lives for a split second, then again poof! I have an ok/whatever understanding of stars. The logic of whorshipping our SUN is beyond arguement, calling it a GOD is illogical but nessesary to gain a following as to move the civilization past the moronic idea of god as its currently understood.

Oh my God can power a car so you have no need for earth based fuel. My God gives its power freely and to all creatures, we are stupid to not use it!

using the law of conservation of matter and energy, the energy given off by the sun simply transferrs to us thru food and warmth, but the whorshipping goes beyond that. if the planet when it is at its perihelion were even just a few hundred feet closer to mars we would be very cold all the time, if the planet when it is at its aphelion was closer to the sun by equal distance, very very hot. so everything points to the sun as the true life giving object to whorship if you were to whorship anything- logically speaking!

fear not my friends for all answers can be answered..

October 1, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • asche

you really think anyone is going to read all of that? lol

October 1, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • Finnigan O'Hara

Anthr fkin nt cse.

October 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • GAY SUN LOVER MAN

Yes sun fill me with your cancer filling gama rays i love em nice wonderful sun you love me so much much that i must drench myself in SPF 1,000,000 becuase our weak ozone can't block your hugging rays

October 2, 2011 at 1:17 am |
  14. Notislam

islam is vile. All moslems need to made to feel shame for islam just as Germans were shamed for nazism.

October 1, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Sammiamm

As a christian, I have to say, with all due respect, you are an idiot.

October 1, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • factChecker

As an athiest, I have to say, with all due respect, you are an idiot.

October 1, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
    • factChecker

I hope we can all agree, with all due respect, Notislam is an idiot.

October 1, 2011 at 11:02 pm |
    • azereta

Islam is a religion just like catholicism and for the most part quite the same.

October 2, 2011 at 12:05 am |
  15. Elliott Blatt

One less Jew-hater. Big deal. Let's move on.

October 1, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • John Richardson

Alright! I guess that closes the discussion!

October 1, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  16. Dave

I am a catholic. I am not sure why that needed to be said. Now that it has maybe my comment will carry more weight. I don't see him as evil. I see him as human and fighting for what he believes in. So in that regard, congratulations to our side in a substantial victory. However keep in mind, winning the war against enemy doesn't mean we were in the right. Just means we won.

October 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • asche

no, now that you've stated you're catholic your comment means nearly nothing. religion is fantasy and those who believe in it are 100% looney. tell me any other topic in the world in which people can comprehensively immerse themselves in and make decisions based on pure story, and not be called crazy....

October 1, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • azereta

So true.

October 2, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  17. We are always watching!

My friends, be good little
    Boys & Girls in the US or
    We will ship you all back to
    Most of the Hell Hole
    Called the Middle East.
    Respect the US the protector
    and police of the World.
    Never forget for one minute that
    You live in the Best country in the World
    Even with the Fool in the
    White House...! Power to the
    People will be restored in
    2012 and the Progressives will
    Be sent out of DC packing..!
    Peace & always sleep with one
    Eye open...! Always!

October 1, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Michael

You almost sound like a perv!!!!

October 1, 2011 at 9:33 pm |
    • *frank*

Kim Jong-Il's long-lost American brother?

October 1, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Sammiamm

How sad that such a great society could produce such an ignorant person.

October 1, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. hippypoet

using the law of conservation of matter and energy, the energy given off by the sun simply transferrs to us thru food and warmth, but the whorshipping goes beyond that. if the planet were even just a few hundred feet closer to mars we would be very cold all the time, if closer to the sun by equal distance, very very hot. so everything points to the sun as the true life giving object to whorship if you were to whorship anything- logically speaking!
    fear not my friends for all answers can be answered..

October 1, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
    • John Richardson

@hippypoet Look up perihelion and aphelion and reconsider your last paragraph.

October 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

The cohesiveness of a galactic clusterization of Suns, planets moons and what nots around a centralized core that science suspects is a black hole would mean black holes are one's Galactic God. Our "Milky Way Galaxy" could be the 'spermazoid' of galactic birthing. Highly unlikely that our galaxy is the central core of it's universe. If though our Sun/Star is where the kingdoms of the Gods are from then, how do we get there from here? Is death the opening door for our souls who can the soul train to sunsville central?

October 1, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Is death the opening door for our souls who "catch" the soul train to sunsville central?

Typos don't ya just hate them,,,,

October 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Mike in SA

Wow...dude, back off some of the drugs...

October 1, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  19. xarmyguy1514

*Over 50 requests sent out so far* Available upon request: official,
    original, un-doctored BTS .zip files showing the 4 9-11 “hijacked”
    planes either did not exist or were used for other purposes this day;
    therefore, the “official” story crumbles. Send request to edmail404 at
    gmail dot com and then get them out to everyone, everywhere. “V” for
    Victory! Thanks.

foxnews . com/world/2009/12/24/imam-linked-ft-hood-rampage-believed-al-qaeda-killed-airstrike/

October 1, 2011 at 9:09 pm |
    • John Richardson

Free tin foil hat for the first 100 requesters!

October 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm |
    • Former Navy

You are so far out there I am going to have to rent a high powered telescope just to see you....

October 1, 2011 at 9:15 pm |
    • JFK57

You're a f ing idiot!

October 1, 2011 at 9:23 pm |
    • Shane

don't forget the kazoo

October 1, 2011 at 9:24 pm |
    • trex

....YOU MUST BE STERILIZED.........

October 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  20. Richard S Kaiser

@ Thomas et al,,,

"I am the bright and morning star" ring any bells? Is it not up to one's own self to believe and in believing find something worthy of contemplating?

What do you Thomas know regarding our bodies being buildings and temples and even the kingdoms of the Gods? What do you even know about the "hidden things of darkness"?

Let's start with a simple statement of scripture,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mat 6:33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

Ah seeking God's kingdom for where do you Thomas say that God's Kingdom is? Do you declare His Kingdom to be of those who go to church or is the church itself the building of God? Where shall we follow in your Word of Truths?

Jhn 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence."

Are you still there Thomas? Our savior and redeemer of all lost souls does proclaim that "this world is not His Kingdom"! No place upon this celestial plain of mankind can compare to or even be God's Kingdom domain. Where than is the Kingdom of God to be located?

1Cr 3:9 “For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.”

We, mind you, "We are labourers together with God" and we are "God's husbandry" and alas "we are God's buildings" So what? We are but buildings of the Gods. Many a God does inhabit our bodies of buildings. At least this is my perception about our being but buildings where within our built bodies are but multiple buildings holding God, His family members and servants and subjects. What happens to them when they have filled up the many rooms within our embodied buildings?

1Cr 3:16 "Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?"

Wait one minute God! Now you are saying we are Temples? What gives God? You are confusing my mind! Could it be that some of our body' buildings are temples? That much I can fathom God. Just how many buildings are temples?

Luk 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is inside/within you."

C'mon God! Now you are proclaiming that our bodies are Kingdoms! Where are you leading my Presumptive mind toward?

God, your word says we are buildings and that some of our body like buildings are as temples and then you say that the kingdoms of the Gods are inside us. How so and why and what does all this truly mean?

So Thomas, there lays my mind's thoughts. Help me to see that which might solve the dilemma I am in.

October 1, 2011 at 8:50 pm

1Cr 4:5 "Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God."

Now now God, for you are changing your thoughts toward "the hidden things of darkness"! Let's see. Hidden things of darkness. Where is there darkness? Does one see the inner things by lighting them up in our using a microscope? Okay now! I can understand oh God. Do we see outer space things by timed telescopic magnification? Okay God, I understand about the hidden things of darkness. But what does it mean? Any comments Thomas?

October 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • crazyvermont

Richard,
      Bible also says spiritual things can not be understood by the simple minded:) I was a unbeliever and mocker of spiritual things for over 40 years. Only when I read with a heart open to truly seeking did the scriptures come alive and make sense to me. God doesn't need t prove himself and he certainly won't force himself on someone like you who has no desire to know him

October 1, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

crazyvermont,,,, et al,,,

Sir or Ma'm,
      I do in no way shape or form "not believe" in our Lord Christ Jesus. On the contray, I firmly believe that Christ who was once the very first Son, the very first "elemental god" manifest by GOD was born as Jesus the Christ Child and did become a man of GOD and was sacrificed for each and every sin we ever made do make and will ever make.

"May you, crazyvermont find much peace in your ever seeking lifespan days here upon a world that is not of God's Kingdom Domain."

October 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Anudder typo,,,,,,,,,,,,,

On the "contrary", I firmly believe that Christ who was once the very first Son, the very first "elemental god" manifest by GOD was born as Jesus the Christ Child and did become a man of GOD and was sacrificed for each and every sin we ever made do make and will ever make.

October 1, 2011 at 10:33 pm |