home
RSS
Church produced film 'Courageous' lights up box office on opening weekend
Produced by a Georgia church, “Courageous” opened in the number four slot last weekend.
October 4th, 2011

Church produced film 'Courageous' lights up box office on opening weekend

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

(CNN)– A Baptist church in Albany, Georgia, is getting Hollywood's attention - the church, Sherwood Baptist, has developed a movie-production operation, and its latest offering opened last weekend as the Number Four top money-grossing film in the country.

The Christian-themed film, "Courageous," was developed in connection with TriStar, Sony, and Provident Films. It is meant to inspire fathers to not leave their families, to love their children, to not fail.

"Courageous," which opened in just 1,161 theaters this past weekend, depicts four police officers who share a commonality both as fathers and in their effort to become better ones. The movie and its characters, played by amateur actors and members of Sherwood Baptist are enveloped in various ways in a devastating tragedy.

According to boxoffice.com, which tracks movie response nationwide, put "Courageous" at the fourth position for the weekend with gross revenues of just over $9 million. The fifth- and sixth-place movies ("50/50" and "Dreamhouse") both opened at far more theaters but did not come close to the weekend box-office income of "Courageous."

"Courageous" takes on a timely topic - fatherhood.

The National Fatherhood Initiative, an organization dedicated to "educating and engaging fathers across the country," lists wide-ranging adverse affects that correlate to children growing up in fatherless households. Fatherless households are common in the United States, and there is no causal evidence linking fatherless households to increased suicide rates, incarcerations, aggression, behavioral disorders, delinquency, criminal activity, confused identities, low achievement, and criminal activity.

But the correlating evidence is so strong that in a country where the most recent census lists 24 million children - one in three - living apart from their biological fathers, it is remiss to discount it.

"No matter what your scenario is - you're single or married or whatnot - we want to really inspire and encourage men to see the value of their role as a dad," says Alex Kendrick, the co-writer, director, and actor who plays the character Adam Mitchell in "Courageous."

Kendrick, who co-writes with his brother Steven, says, "The reason we put it in a law enforcement setting was that, as you know, a motto from law enforcement is to serve and protect, and then we drew a correlation to what a father is supposed to do."

"We drew that correlation and said, 'Wouldn't it be interesting if we put this in the context of police officers who are also dads, and they may be heroic on the streets but it also takes courage to be a great dad - not just a good enough dad.'"

Ken Bevel, who plays Nathan Hayes, a sheriffs' deputy in the film, says that everyone has a dad and can relate to a fatherhood story. "We just pray that this movie resonates in the hearts of men and women and families across the globe," he says.

"If you go to Sherwood (Baptist Church) on any given day you will see a bunch of people that are in the movie," says Bevel, who played Kirk Cameron's fellow firefighter in "Fireproof," the last film from Sherwood Pictures.

"Our desire is not to become the next movie-making sensation or to make millions and millions of dollars at the box office," he says, "our desire is to see hearts changed and families touched."

Kendrick's character, Adam Mitchell, makes a general statement over grilled steaks to his fellow officers in the movie: "Half of the fathers in this country are already failing," he says, "and I don't want to be one of them."

The Christians at Sherwood Baptist Church, says Kendrick, "want especially men to walk out of the movie theater saying, "This movie makes me want to be a better dad and really a better man as a model and mentor to my children.'"

"You will see a difference and it will make a difference in our culture," he says.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Georgia • Movies • United States

soundoff (1,517 Responses)
  1. Alfonzo Muchanzo

It amazes me that a movie the promotes fathers being there for their children can receive such hateful comments. It's simple; it's healthier for a child to grow up with a father than without one. Not to say that children raised in fatherless homes can't be productive citizens, just that ideally all children would have present fathers. Nothing wrong with pointing that fact out. Anything that's Christian or anything that promotes good morals is guaranteed to be bashed on because this world loves sin and doesn't want to be held accountable for anything.

October 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm |

Amen

We as a society has effectively told fathers that they weren't needed. So as the years come along, they stopped acting like fathers and taking responsibility for their family. Actually, let me correct that, we as a society have influence mothers that they don't need a father in the house for their children. Taking the cue dad's bugged out instead of standing up to their responsibilities.

Both parties are at fault here.

October 4, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

Sorry for re-posting but....
      I WILL NOT force religion on my children. They have their own brains.
      I WILL teach them to be critical thinkers.
      I WILL facilite the exploration of their passions in life.
      I WILL NOT make them go to Bible School. That is just cruel and unusual punishment. (just had to get that in. bad memories)
      I WILL make them aware of world diversity and expect them to respect all people.

October 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • AthyistRAnnyng

and they think we are trolls.....look at this idiot ^^^^^^

October 4, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • W247

"II do solemnly resolve before COMMON SENSE to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children."
      – Who said that Christians don't have common sense? That is an opinionated, assumptive statement.

"I WILL NOT force religion on my children. They have their own brains."
      – However you will force them to have your opinions about religion and not give them the option to explore it on their own. I was raised an Atheist and didn't become a Christian until I got married and moved out of my parents home. (Where religious was talked about as a corrupted evil thing)

"I WILL teach them to be critical thinkers."
      – Good for you! I am doing the same thing! That's one of the great things about this world, we have the resources to look at a given situation and analyze it for ourselves.

"I WILL make sure they are well educated and well rounded relative to the world around them so they can make infromed decisions."
      – And Christian families don't? Presumptive of you to make this statement. Many Christian families work very hard to make sure that their children have the best education. I believe this is typical of any family regardless if they are religious or not.

I WILL facilite the exploration of their passions in life.
      – Good for you! No matter what those passions are? If their passion is to come to the Lord and work in ministry, will you still support them?

– You are funny. I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I guess it does come down to teachers and the passion they have for what they are teaching. Sorry you got such a dud.

– You know, He does tell us love one another. I just came back from India ( world diversity) where I realized how fortunate we are here in the US to be able to speak our minds and to be as prosperous as we are. The orphans and widows there would break your heart.

"I WILL encourage them to contribute to and help others in need, without bringing up religion in the process."
      – Hmm.. built some wells to help out some of the remote villages there. Yes, we did build it on the church property because it was land that was owned by that church, however the whole village has access to it.

Having a Dad there is great (I did not) but it is far more important to be loved and respected no matter who is there to raise you."

– I was fortunate to have parents that never divorced, my husband wasn't as fortunate though. However we were both raised in very loving environments, just on different ends of the spectrum.

Hope you have a good day.

October 4, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

@W247 – Well put. God bless 🙂

October 4, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

@W247
      Nice response, but you are reading more into my post than what is there. I am not saying Christians DON'T do those things. I am saying it is not necessary to be a Christian. Christians tend to feel they hold some higher moral ground. They don't. And to answer your question, if my kids wanted to "come to the Lord and work in the ministry" would I support it. Absolutely I would, that is the point. Let THEM decide what they believe based on ALL available information.

October 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
    • W247

Then we agree more then we think we do! There are a lot of really good dad's out there that are not believers. I have a GREAT father whom I love dearly, that loved us growing up. He and my mother taught us to get involved in our community and help others out. Thank goodness for good parents!

I have not seen this movie yet but I would like to see it and analyze the traits that the fathers in this film have. It would be curious to see which traits everyone agrees on and which ones cause dissension.
      If people agree that the majority of traits shown in the movie are "good traits" for a father to have, will they stop bashing the movie?

October 4, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
    • Jared

It is time for men to man up and be husbands and fathers who stand for something.

@Central Scrutinizer

I think it is good for people to decide for themselves and let me tell you that anyone who searches for answers will come to a point where they have to decide what they believe. I did. I spent a lot of time wresting with who I thought God was and who He really is. Since then, I've seen plenty of evidence to support my findings.

October 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
    • Jesus

Christian fundies will buy all things that support, reiterate, or echo their position on certain issues. As many Preachers have learned, milking the fundie can be a huge moneymaker.

October 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm |

Hi jesus

I believe if you get any group that believes in the same thing, they will purchase anything to do with that cause/hobby.

For instance:
      Harley riders: they LOVE all things Harley! If a movie comes out featuring Harley riders will you criticize them for pushing their agenda on you?

Smith and Wesson owners:! LOVE all things S&W! You just have to look at their shirt logos, bumper stickers etc
      Fishermen! LOVE all things to do with fishing! You just have to look at their clothes, bumper stickers etc
      MAC users! PC Users! etc etc

Hopefully you get the point...

October 4, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
    • bailoutsos

Did they happen to do the movie with tax free money?

October 4, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
    • Bobby Mckenzie

My question is if you guys are atheist, then why are you reading an article about a movie made by a church group that promotes some christian values and ideals but then again, WHY ARE YOU BOTHERING TO COMMENT? Do you really think you are going to change any christians minds? Please answer that one inquiring minds want to know

October 4, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • W247

"Even though an organization is recognized as tax exempt, is still may be liable for tax on it's unrelated business income."

Basically the IRS is saying that if the tax exempt corporation makes money through an unrelated business, it needs to report that income so it can be taxed.

October 4, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • tallulah13

On topic: The thing about movies, is that they have very little effect on people. They see the movie, they think "Yeah, I should be a better person," but two days later they are doing the same thing, because it was only a movie, and movies tend to present pat answers that have very little bearing on reality. If a person wants to change, they have to do it themselves. If you need a religion to be a good person, then go for it, but those who are strong enough can do it on their own. All it takes is the willingness to do what is right.

October 5, 2011 at 2:32 am |
    • tallulah13

Bobby: Because this message board is open to everybody. Also, I am curious about the opinions of others, even those who don't think exactly as I do.

October 5, 2011 at 2:34 am |

"tallulah13

Children would also be better off if they had health insurance and good education, but sadly, a lot of people who present themselves as christians are doing their best to keep children from getting either."

How in the world did you come up with that conclusion? Thank you for being such a stereotypical bigot. Get a life and get an opinion that is not formed by the MSM.

October 5, 2011 at 11:31 am |
  2. Richard S Kaiser

Sorry all, Found a typo,,,,

People, the benefisciaries of Life-giving sustenance are held ever so tightly within Gaia's fleshly embraced celestial Heaven of Her heavens and She does and will forever hold us of righteousness, ever within her bosomed Being. I care about people but am held against people's thoughts that denegrate, bemoan and belittle and tease the folks who religiously find their Way of Enlightenment to be their GOD and/or Son(s) of GOD. Being "teased" by those who are against and stand steadfastly away from Godly principles and caustically pervert and ridicule thru teasing the people of Faith in GOD, the father and Christ Jesus, HIS Son do so for what sound reasoning? What do such people really gain in their blatant unrighteous sub-servitudes? Are they truly freeing themselves from the social bondages all are bound to? Are such people who tease others really doing the world any good? Perversioned selfishness is but a loss to be profanely accosted and held away from reality's righteous pleasantries. Even I do at times sink to lowness in my thoughtlessness to outrightly ridicule the ridiculers, yet I repent upon my blatant teasing remarks breathed 1stly from the fumings of others' teasings.

October 4, 2011 at 1:02 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Anudder typo,,,, so very sorry I am,,,

People, the benefisciaries of Life-giving sustenance are held ever so tightly within Gaia's fleshly embraced celestial Heaven of Her heavens and She does and will forever hold us of righteousness, ever within her bosomed Being. I care about people but am held against people's thoughts that denegrate, bemoan and belittle and tease the folks who religiously find their Way of Enlightenment to be their GOD and/or Son(s) of GOD. I deplore being "teased" by those who are against and stand steadfastly away from Godly principles and caustically pervert and ridicule thru teasing the people of Faith in GOD, the father and Christ Jesus, HIS Son do so for what sound reasoning? What do such people really gain in their blatant unrighteous sub-servitudes? Are they truly freeing themselves from the social bondages all are bound to? Are such people who tease others really doing the world any good? Perversioned selfishness is but a loss to be profanely accosted and held away from reality's righteous pleasantries. Even I do at times sink to lowness in my thoughtlessness to outrightly ridicule the ridiculers, yet I repent upon my blatant teasing remarks breathed 1stly from the fumings of others' teasings.

October 4, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  3. Richard S Kaiser

People, the benefisciaries of Life-giving sustenance are held ever so tightly within Gaia's fleshly embraced celestial Heaven of Her heavens and She does and will forever hold us of ritheousness, ever within her bosomed Being. I care about people but am held against people's thoughts that denegrate, bemoan and belittle and tease the folks who religiously find their Way of Enlightenment to be their GOD and/or Son(s) of GOD. Being "teased" by those who are against and stand steadfastly away from Godly principles and caustically pervert and ridicule thru teasing the people of Faith in GOD, the father and Christ Jesus, HIS Son do so for what sound reasoning? What do such people really gain in their blatant unrighteous sub-servitudes? Are they truly freeing themselves from the social bondages all are bound to? Are such people who tease others really doing the world any good? Perversioned selfishness is but a loss to be profanely accosted and held away from reality's righteous pleasantries. Even I do at times sink to lowness in my thoughtlessness to outrightly ridicule the ridiculers, yet I repent upon my blatant teasing remarks breathed 1stly from the fumings of others' teasings.

October 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
  4. Pharmd270

Hello! ebgadcg interesting ebgadcg site! I'm really like it! Very, very ebgadcg good!

October 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

An excellent point indeed Pharmd270. Well said, well spoken.

October 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
  5. The Resolution

I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
    I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
    I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
    I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
    I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
    –Excerpt from THE RESOLUTION, featured in the movie COURAGEOUS

October 4, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • hippypoet

October 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • hippypoet

the priests of "god's"church aren't so faithful, his word if he ever had one was lost 2000 years ago, and as for his will... he would have to speak to you for you to do his will. so good luck. MAY THE ALMIGHTY SUN SHINE UPON YOU SO YOU MAY SEE THE LIGHT OF TRUTH and then be filled THE ALMIGHTY SUN'S warmth.

October 4, 2011 at 12:56 pm |
    • Sun

I am the amazing handiwork of God my creator!

October 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • BRC

In those 5 lines, the man's family is referenced 5 times. "God" is referenced 9, with 3 lines being commited completely to "God".

I am all for a movie that attempts to show fathers the importance of family, and the challenge and importence of their role so in that aspect I respect the film. But a 60%god, 40% family balance is unnacceptable to me. Your family is here with your 100% of the time, they should be the focus, not "God".

October 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

I WILL NOT force religion on my children. They have their own brains.
      I WILL teach them to be critical thinkers.
      I WILL facilite the exploration of their passions in life.

October 4, 2011 at 1:09 pm |
    • W247

BRC – what you don't understand is that God is there with you 100% of the time as well. It is up to you to choose whether or not you will listen to what He has to say to you or the life that He has for you.

October 4, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • A believer

@BRC, To a believer the strength to be courageous is derived from a higher power, the strength to be truthful, to have integrity. A believer knows at the end of the day man is not infallible.

October 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
    • BRC

@W247,
      Other people claim that "God" is there 100% of the time, I have never seen it or any proof of it. I have never asked for, hoped for , or needed a god. I have relied on my own ability and the support of those I care about, and have a had a very successful and happy life thus far.

I flove for my family is enough for us to have everything we want and need, why would I invovle something else that I have no need for or reason to believe in. Especially when the Bible claims that you should love "God" more than the people around you, something I would be unwilling to do even if he did exist.

October 4, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
    • A non-believer

"A believer", that's not courage you have. It's pure cowardice you are showing, in believing that some sky daddy that hasn't shown his face in 2000+ years (if ever) is going to swoop down and save you instead of you having the guts to fix problems yourself.

Show us the modern evidence for your particular god, or p!ss right off and go away. Your preachy and repet-itive drivel is tiresome.

October 4, 2011 at 1:24 pm |
    • BRC

@ABeliever,
      I'm sure the belief in a higher power is a comfort to many, and so be it. But, I believe that all of those people had that ability in and of themselves- you don't need to be infallible to have integrity. you simply need conviction and willpower.

October 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • A believer

To the non-beleiver-A blind man can never appreciate what it is to be in 'Light', unfortunately light and darkness to him are meaningless constructs.Sadly, that is your case today. Without Faith you will never see God, without his GRACE you CANNOT be saved.

October 4, 2011 at 1:30 pm |
    • A believer

@BRC, Moral values are derived from a higher being, if one does not rely on the source for these values, moral values are become relative and becomes suspect.

For example a husband and wife may agree that 'swinging' lifestyle is ok, now that definetly is against family values for a beleiver, that is the problem with moral relativism which has not come from the creator.

October 4, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • fred

BRC
      Good point, I am constantly under pressure at home because I spend a great deal of time with hurting people in the community. This is non revenue generating to boot so there is also the financial burden. Making the decision to put God first and family second causes friction in itself if the family is not on board (which mine is not). When all is said and done I am held accountable for my families well being. This is a constant concern for me.

October 4, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • BRC

@A believer,
      Moral values are derived from our cultural, social, and psychological inputs. Each person develops their own moral code based on what they've been taught and what they've experienced. All morals are relative, just some are commonly held. For instance- the morals put forth by the bible which I'll guess are what you refer to as being absolute. They are actually relative. The Bible is a collection of many works, spread out over a great deal of time, what works to use were decided through the various Councils (ie. Nicaea) where the religious leaders of the time decided what books would be left in, and what moral values would be espoused. A different council could have yielded a different result. Therefore the morals are relative (and quite frankly outdated).

Relative morals are not suspect, unfounded, unconsidered morals, that are taken at face value with no consideration for what they stand for or how they were brought about; those are very very suspect. I disagree with much of the Bible, I find the OT to be full of atrocities and deplorable behavior, things I would never accept and never do, I cannot give credence to a book that is based off of that history. Does that mean I can't have a strong moral code and lead a good life?

October 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm |
    • BRC

@fred,
      I'm sure it's difficult when your personal and family interests don't overlap. Your call on how to figure out the balance of course, only advice I can give is from when I was a counselor. You can only help others if you're in good shape yourself. if helping is straining your family that so much that it starts straining you, you're not going to be able to sustain whatever good works you're trying to do.

October 4, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • A believer

@BRC, I agree there are laws driven by society that one is bound by(Civil as well as Criminal) which one ought to diligently follow.
      However, society cannot explain certain values and principles that comes from a higher being for example society cannot never establish what 'forgiveness' is about. Society cannot show what grace is about.Compassion becomes an individual trait that one may posess but is not required, Morality is open for interpretation for example a 'swinging' lifestyle.
      Moral relativism fails for that very same reason, unless the source is infallible the dictates from mortals trying to establish moral values becomes unreliable.

As far as reading the Bible, it has to be read and understood in full, taking passages out of context will not help with understanding the true message from God. True message from God is that of Love. Are there consequences for disobedience sure there is. Is there redemption, sure there is. God is love and will always be, that is clearly communicated in the Bible.

October 4, 2011 at 2:18 pm |
    • BRC

@A believer,
      Still doesn’t mean there is a divine moral distributor. I have no belief or regard in "God", yet I am a forgiving and compassionate person(to a degree). Societies have constantly determined what is or is not a forgivable infraction, grace is an intangible and improvable concept, compassion is an emotion, than many people do not have (did "God" forget to install it?).

Yes morality is open to interpretation- if a married couple incapable of having children keeps their love life adventurous by "swinging", always practices safe sx and stays married for 40 years without ever becoming bored or catching any form of disease, did they actually do anything evil? Or did they just do something you don't agree with? You still haven't shown how relativism fails, nor did you show, or even suggest how the Bible isn't relative.

Speaking of, I don't take passages out of context, I have been reading the entire book, word for word and cover to cover- IT ENDORSES ATROCITIES. God tells parents to kill their own children (sometimes he stops them, sometimes he doesn't), he tells people to lie, he tells people to commit genocide, he stops the Pharaoh from releasing the Hebrews so he can inflict increasingly horrible punishments on them. I don't care what "love" you're talking about or who's name you're doing it in, killing children is wrong and always will be. Do you deny that those events are in the book?

October 4, 2011 at 2:31 pm |
    • W247

BRC – the same God that you are disgusted with for telling His believers to love Him over their own families, also said this:

Ephesisans 5:
      25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body.

..and to put this to the same point you are making, Christ died for His family, just as I am sure you would as well. Christ as a Father figure "feeds and cares" for His family.

October 4, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
    • BRC

@W247,
      That is a perfectly fine biblical passage one of those that holds a good message (there are others that send different messages, so I'm affraid it doesn't count for much). But, to be very clear, I'm not disgusted at "God" for anything, I don't believe one exists. I am opposed to some sections of Christianitys' portrayal of what "God" has to say. There are some good messages in the Bible, I just think they're easier to get to outside of it, where you don't have to wade through hundreds of pages ouf outdated and questionable material.

October 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • A Believer

@ BRC, I think W247 has quoted the scripture about the role of husband and wife in a relationship,thanks W247.

With regards to your point about Pharaoh and his heard heartedness, he had a choice to make to obey God, he continually disobeyed God. God has bestowed upon mankind the awesome responsibilty of making choices. Each indiviudal is responsible for making that choice. There are and will always be consequences for making the wrong choice. Now Pharaoh had a choice to let the slaves go, he did not in spite of repeated warnings by Moses. If there are no consequences for wrong choices , how is justice served?

The God of the Bible is a loving God. Focus on the message and you will find that love for yourself.

October 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
    • BRC

@ABeliever,
      You may be due for a refresher in your readings. According to the bible (there is absolutely 0 historical evidence to believe any of these claims) after each plague struck, the Pharaoh agree to relews Moses and his people, and several times he offered to give them huge portions of the egyptian wealth and livestock to encourage them to leave ; but each time, and I'm quoting here, "God hardened Pharaoh's heart." He tried to make the right decision, he tried to free the people, "GOD" STOPPED HIM so he could punish him more. If you have a bible available or want to look the passages up online feel free to check to make sure I'm not making it up.

If he was a loving god I wouldn't have to go hunting through stories looking for the underlying meaning, people wouldn't be sinners from the start, and he wouldn't have had his own son brutally tortured. If there is a god, and his is truly a loving and understanding god, than all I need to do is live a good life; and I do that by taking care of my family, being fair adn supportive of the people around me, and serving others. Don't see a need for a bible in any of that.

October 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • A Believer

@BRC, Addressing your question on why God sent his only son to die on the Cross for the sins of mankind, it was God's justice to redeem mankind. Since the time of Adam sin has eternally separated God from Man.
      A supreme sacrifice had to be made so that mankind can be saved from the eternal separation from God. That supreme sacrifice was Jesus himself on the cross. Without that sacrifice there is no forgiveness of sins. Thank God for his salvation through the death and resurrection of Christ for all mankind that believe in him.

In the same lines, Pharaoh heart was a heardened heart which is reflective of mankind in general since Adam, By God removing His hand of restraint, Pharaoh's heart is hardened to it's natural state. For example,if one were physically holding someone back from committing a crime, and he told him he'd let him go and he should not henceforth commit crimes. And when he let him go, He committed crimes again, is that man responsible for another man's sin simply because he no longer physically restrained him? The answer of course is no. Every man is responsible for his own sin. When God took away his hand of restraint, the sinner did what he wanted to do all along. This man was under no obligation to physically prevent anyone from sinning, and neither is God. The soul that sinneth, it shall die. This is the principle at work here. Each man is responsible for his own actions.
      We all have our choices to make, all men are born with that obstinate heart, but God gives grace to that repentant heart an obstinate heart meets its judgement, such as Pharaoh.

October 4, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • BRC

@ABeliever,
      Your explanation for the Pharaoh doesn't work. The Bible doesn't say "God" release his grip or allowed Pharaoh to make his choice it says, quite clearly and repeatedly that after Pharaoh decided to release Moses, "God" hardened his heart, after which point he changed his mind and took back his offer. Your interpretation is all good and well, and may be the message that the church would like people to take away after thousands of years of trying to thing of how to explain things, but it's not what the Bible says.

As for the sacrifice of Jesus. You said that Jesus had to be sacrificed to amend our separation from "God" (I don't know why the world was clearly going along just fine without him) I've never seen how that makes sense, since he'd already punished the world twice since adam and eve.

What confuses me more; anyone who says "God" is a savior has to recognize that he is also the condemner. The only being in the Christian mythology who is upset about original sin is "God", who conveniently also made the rule and allowed it to be broken, got really mad that it was, but is the being who forgives people for breaking the rule in the end- SO WHY NOT JUST IGNORE THE RULE. Anytime your savior and condemner are the same thing, something is wrong (if you say Jesus is your savior that's a little different, but now you're pitting the son of God against God, bet God wins. If you think Jesus is God, then you're back to the original argument).

October 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • A believer

@BRC

There is a judgement and that belongs to God, God very cleary told Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden, that they should not eat of a particular fruit else they will surely die. That is clearly God's rule for his creation, God gave man free will to obey him and he also made it clear that there are consequences for disobedience.There are rules by which abide to live in society to make it safe for everyone around us, for example., I would never question why I should not drink and drive,I know that if I am caught I will be ticketed and penalized. Likewise, God's rules are given to mankind and if we break those rules we will pay for it.

Having said that, God sent his son Christ to die for the sins of mankind, sacrifice was a requirement for atonement for sins. Why sacrifice? we as human beings do not have unlimited knowledge to fathom why a supreme sacrifice by God was needed to make an atonement for sins. So, it is upto man to accept the plan of salvation that comes from believing in Jesus.

With regards to Pharaoh, he worshipped pagan Gods and did not want to obey the true God, it was that hardened heart that did not want to believe in the God that Moses presented , God had to intervene to show his amazing power to free the meek who were powerless before Pharaoh. The story of their redemption is such a powerful reminder about God's power, to think that a Loving God would never discipline or chastise his people when they do wrong and correct them, is an incorrect thought.
      The God of the Bible is a loving God, it is the sins that he detests and there will be consequences for disobedience as we saw with Adam, with Pharaob, with the Israelites and others in the Bible.
      The good news for us today is to focus on living a Godly life according to the scriptures so that we can find that abundant life in Christ.

October 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  6. hippypoet fan

Crunchy Groove you crazy Bas-stard, I love you man. And you are picking up fans left and right. More Sun Screen for everone! Were all gonna get laid!

October 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
    • hippypoet

come and live under the truth of the ALMIGHTY SUN with me and my followers, they are massing in numbers!

October 4, 2011 at 12:42 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

I'm in. Do we have to get naked?

October 4, 2011 at 1:26 pm |
    • hippypoet

only if being naked makes you feel better... then by all means, have a "ball"

October 4, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

Sweet! This Sun God thing is great! I can just feel that breeze....

October 4, 2011 at 2:13 pm |
  7. Reality

Courageous – Part II

Saving Christians from the Infamous Resurrection/Easter Con/Disease:

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke's Gospel records it. The Assumption ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

October 4, 2011 at 11:59 am |
  8. when

@ Norbet: Your post is so silly, the only reply I have is: No reply. @ Think for Yourself. The movie and content are being bashed. Read the posts again. No, I don't feel threatened by a Carl Sagan book. Recent Pew Research polls are facts? "Sorry to let facts get in the way." It's amazing how you pick and chose what you believe to be "fact" in the media. Polls, can be way off and change at the drop of a hat. I have no doubt, however, that church attendance is slipping. It makes perfect sense. It's true, some are participating in home churches more, but I was not surprised to hear of overall attendance slipping. To me, it's a sign of the times. The ego thing: judging by the posts I read on this blog, written by unbelievers, their agenda is obvious. They seem to feel it's their duty to insult and bash Christianity and Christians, at least most of them do. Whenever a story is written about Christianity losing a battle, most non-believers are on top of their game hurling insults and gloating. When a story chalks one up for Christianity, we still see the insults but the bruised egos are also apparent by their own posts. Again, I am saying "most." Persecution: If you cannot see the endless persecution on this blog, then I have to say you are turning a blind eye. If anyone were to write some of the things I read here, about any other minority group, you would all be screaming PERSECUTION! If you can't see that, I can't help you to see it. I have no delight in the "fact" that nonbelievers will spend an eternity apart from God. It's a terribly sad thing. @ Myweightinwords. Thank you for your intelligent reply. I understand and respect what you are saying and I did not have you in mind when I wrote my original post.

October 4, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • William Demuth

When

Do you believe you are more persecuted than Muslims or Jews in this blog?

The truth is you are teased, NOT persecuted.

I find it at best dishonest and at worst criminal for a Christian to make such claims.

The Jewish race stands on the brink of extermination, and the Muslims have suffered several hundred thousand casualties in the religious wars of the past 25 years in the Middle East.

To equate being teased with persecution while YOUR religion has seen the least casualties in the recent conflicts seem childish, egocentric and blind to basic human realities.

Only a Christian can decry mockery while they engage in the murder of children.

October 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

How, exactly, is pointing out that the success of the movie is based upon, likely, the quality of acting/production combined with the demographics of the country rather than divine intervention. Waiting for you to show evidence otherwise.

I also challenge you to point out where I'm cherry picking facts from Pew Research studies. I've actually read the studies, and not just what I read in the media. I challenge you to back up your as.sertions with actual facts. I won't be holding my breath.

Seems like evidence and facts aren't as important to you as your victim complex.

October 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • HellBent

@when: "persecution". I don't think it means what you think it means.

Expressing opposing positions is not persecution. As ThinkForYourself stated, get over yourself.

October 4, 2011 at 12:30 pm |
    • when

@ William Demuth. I absolutely do believe Christians are more persecuted on this blog than Muslims or Jews. Read it yourself. I hardly think being called Christian puke, lunatics, morons and saying we should all be wiped off the face of the earth, the world would be better off without us and someone should kil l those Christians freaks, just to name a few that I've read, is "teasing." Harassment is included in the defini tion of persecution. It is a form of persecution. You have only to look at what's going on in other countries to see that Christians are persecuted daily in a much more severe way than harassment. They are jailed and murdered all the time. I believe it will be world-wide someday. Perhaps not too distant in the future. As far as you accusing me of murdering children, no, that would be some of the nonbelievers and phony, so-called Christians that are perfectly thrilled about 1.5 million unborn babies murdered each year in the US alone. @Think for Yourself. I think your first paragraph may be incomplete. Not at all sure of what you're saying. Evidence and fact are very important to me. I just don't take everything in the name of science and evolution as evidence and fact. They make mistakes all the time and again, paper lies still, you can write anything on it, if you catch my drift. You and I obviously disagree on what is evidence and fact, so it's a moot point to discuss it. We'd be arguing all day. I don't have a victim complex but I'm not surprised you put a label on what I see to be true. Again, we disagree. @ HellBent. I suggest you get over YOURSELF and read some news besides CNN once in awhile. You might actually learn something.

October 4, 2011 at 1:52 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

" They make mistakes all the time and again, paper lies still, you can write anything on it, if you catch my drift."

So, you don't do any research for yourself, but make as.sumptions that I'm reading things wrong and cherry picking data. Once again, I challenge you to make fact based conclusions showing that studies I referenced are incorrect. I'm guess you'll think that anything facts and evidence I reference are 'incorrect' or 'skewed to my way of thinking'. You've yet to provide one shred of evidence to back your as.sumptions. Still not holding my breath

October 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • when

@ ThinkForYourself. You are putting words in my mouth I didn't say. I didn't say your "fact based studies" were wrong, I said Polls can be wrong and change at the drop of a hat. I also said, I wasn't surprised that church attendance is declining. You seem to be bored and just looking for an argument. You're probably not used to anyone challenging anything you say. The fact that I said it amazed me how you hail something as "fact" that shows something negative re: Christianity, suggests that you pick and choose what you want to believe. If you are a Democrat, you probably believe every bad word in the press about Republicans. If you are a Republican, you probably believe every bad word in the press about Democrats. Suddenly, you've become an expert and done an in-depth study on Polls associated with the decline of church attendance. I don't have to prove my opinion to you or anyone. Maybe you should prove what study you did. As for research, I do my share and who are you to assume that I don't? You sound like you just want to argue and are really irritated that I implied you pick and choose what to regard as fact as long as it agrees with your agenda. IMHO, you do.

October 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
    • William Demuth

when

Once half your family is murdered for their beliefs, THEN you can claim persecution.

You have the mind of a child, looking for playground respect you haven't earned yet.

Persecuted indeed. The MAJORITY of men murdered for their beliefs were murdered by YOUR religion.

You sicken me.

October 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
    • when

@ William Demuth. Well William, I'm sure I am in excellent company. From the sound of it, anything and everything to do with Christianity "sickens" you. I cannot speak for ppl that murder sup posedly in the name of God. They are mis guided and just plain wrong. I can tell you that Jesus is loving and teaches the Golden Rule. I wish you knew God. You would have a whole different perspective on life. Sometimes I wonder what happened to you to make so much hate come out of your mouth. You just sound so upset all the time.

October 4, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  9. chad

AWESOME, Sherwood Baptist is doing a great job.

Another movie they did, "Facing the Giants" was just great.

October 4, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Rachel

Sherwood's list of movies is just so amazing.

Their movies are refreshingly truthful goes deep into core principles which is what sets them apart from the rest of the pack.

May I also add 'Fireproof' to your list, have watched Facing the giants more than twice already!!!

Hope and pray that many dads will find the courage to be 'true' Men of God.

October 4, 2011 at 12:38 pm |
  10. Haley Nicole

Who cares? It's a Christian movie that did well. It's not that big of a deal. They're reporting on a movie doing well like they do all the time. It doesn't matter that it's a "church produced" film. It's a movie. Get over it.

October 4, 2011 at 11:43 am |
  11. hippypoet

October 4, 2011 at 11:10 am |
  12. William Demuth

Any Christian movie about Christ that shows his resurrection will surely get sued by George Romero.

He is the owner of the zombie genre

October 4, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • W247

YES! Love George Romero!!!!!!

October 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  13. tallulah13

Whatever floats you boat. I think it sounds like melodramatic tripe, but I think ninety percent of the movies out there are tripe. You don't really need religion to be a good person, but if you can't do it by yourself, by all means, find a crutch that will help you. Or just avoid getting married or having children if you don't think you can put your personal selfishness aside for them.

October 4, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • W247

Yes and the tripe that Hollywood puts out is so much better for you: "Crazy, Stupid Love", " The Bachelor Party 1 and 2", "Bad Teacher", "Friends with Benefits"...

yeah... this is the stuff we should be watching instead? Puh-leaseeee

October 4, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

@W247,

Not sure what you're disagreeing with since tallulah13 clearly stated, " I think ninety percent of the movies out there are tripe"

October 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • Tallulah13

Why watch any of it? Why not just stay home and do something of value? If you think you are a bad parent, don't go see a movie. Try talking to, and listening to your kids?

October 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • W247

OOPs.. my bad, went off of emotion on that post instead of logic. I will make sure I read through them a little better!

My apologies!

October 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
  14. @hippypoet, the prophet

dude you are really going beyond where i thought you would stop this bs. but the more you write about it and the more i think about it, your right! the SUN is the only logical thing to worship if i was to worship anything. but i won't worship it i will only view your arguement as the best i have heard about logical worship which is by itself not very logical. now i have seen you say lets give thanks to the ALMIGHTY SUN, this i see as more logical as we DO owe everything to it and other stars, you should really mention other stars. and what about the black hole at the center of the milky way galaxy? does that fit in to your belief, or is it just a black hole?

October 4, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • William Demuth

Ironic

Christians have a Virgin Mary, and Hippy has a Black Hole.

Am I safe in assuming the Black Hole is NOT a virgin, but rather the polar opposite.

A religion with a raging Bimbo at its core would be refreshing, and FAR more honest.

October 4, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • hippypoet

the other stars are important to others where they effect them more. the black hole, theres 2 by the way, they orbit each other.... they are there and there is where they will stay, we will eventual get closer and closer to when it takes us in, or whats left of us. my belief is built around sciencific law..

October 4, 2011 at 11:21 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

Would you hippied one really want to become a "sun" in your next life? Careful upon that which one does worship hippied one for to wish upon a star, pooof so be it!!!! Gaia, our earth will not allow that which She did bring to term from leaving Her bosomed depths wherein lays her fleshly firmaments too many heavens to count let alone number. Gaia is all celestial life's mother. We are Her finality and hope toward going outwardly onto the vast oceanic seas of Nothingness known by the ancient Greeks as Chaos.

October 4, 2011 at 11:41 am |
  15. Richard S Kaiser

Today is but an unworthy moment of existence within the streaming enclaves of the debonair personified. Yesterday's visionaries are no more of devoted worthiness. Life's totalitarian wholesomeness is no more being cleansed by repentence nor do many individuals truly care. Throw one's money here and there never in care, never to care. Help they say, what is such chicanery many do ponder. The watchtowers have been crumbling with no hope ever to rebuild. You who are without will win by your deeds to rebuke and blaspheme GOD and HIS Truth. Remember therefore this, Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.". Give thanks you who remain unmoved and are steadfast in knowing. Soon oh GOD, soon.

October 4, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Norbert The Antimatter Dragon

RSK, cool word generator dood. But turn the Jeebus bias factor to zero and the output will be a lot better.

October 4, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

You can always just walk out into traffic if it is not soon enough. I am sure the magical being who loves you would let one more sin go.

October 4, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

1Cr 3:9 “For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building.”

Luk 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is inside/within you."

Gods the Sons of GOD did create celestial life for GOD gave to HIS Kind, the atomic cosmos to be their playgrounds. Tempt not one to destroy themselves for such temptations are acts of bigotry and are abominable deeds in the eye of GOD!

October 4, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  16. Steve

For those who doubt in a higher power, how is it that a church with their members doing the acting, producing, and all the effects can out do may of the Hollywood wachos? By the way, every movie this church as produced has been a success ie. Fighting the Giants, FIreproof. Not to bad is it? Sounds like they may be blessed by, do I dare say it? Yes, GOD the almighty. Peace I'm out.

October 4, 2011 at 10:34 am |
    • hippypoet

thats a good one. "god" blessing movies. sounds like your "god" is in need of better advertising....maybe it should go on a talk show, one about parents giving birth to their kids to have them die in really really mean ways! i'd watch that!

October 4, 2011 at 10:36 am |
    • The Bobinator

> For those who doubt in a higher power, how is it that a church with their members doing the acting, producing, and all the effects can out do may of the Hollywood wachos?

Indie movies often surpass big hollywood blockbusters. Saw (the horror flick) was a low budget movie as well and took in huge oodles of cash. Does God like slasher flicks? Your argument is moronic.

> By the way, every movie this church as produced has been a success ie. Fighting the Giants, FIreproof. Not to bad is it?

So what? So they produce good movies. That doesn't mean God is helping. It means that they're probably talented.

> Sounds like they may be blessed by, do I dare say it? Yes, GOD the almighty. Peace I'm out.

Seriously, you have to be a troll. No one is this stupid. "A movie is successful, therefore God." ROFL.

October 4, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

It still came in behind re-release of the lion king and 50/50...... Seth Rogen is God!

October 4, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • William Demuth

So I asume all the Hits that come out of Bollywood are blessed by the Hindu Gods?

It seems they outsell your God in tickets by about 500 to one?

I guess if ratings make a God more powerfull, I suggest you begin worshiping the NFL.

Otherwise your premise is as absurd as your religion.

I mean Stewie has more FaceBook freinds than Jesus does

All Praise Stewie!

October 4, 2011 at 10:46 am |
    • AGuest9

Just like the Blair Witch Project?

October 4, 2011 at 10:48 am |
    • Norbert The Antimatter Dragon

Steve, so you agree that Dumbledore >God. So is Gandalf, although he's gotten a little long in the beard.

Taking arguments to logical conclusions is a b!tch, ain't it.

October 4, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • hippypoet

thats why we should start thanking the ALMIGHTY SUN for its free gifts of reuseble energy!

October 4, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • David Johnson

@Steve

Ever see / hear of the Blair Witch Project, a student film about a local urban legend... The Blair Witch.?

Budget:
      $60,000 (estimated)

Opening Weekend:
      $1,512,054 (USA) (18 July 1999) (27 Screens)

Gross:
      $248,639,099 (Worldwide)

Bet it beats out Jesus, handily. The Evangelical pukes make many things successful. Look at all the "Left Behind" books sold.

There was no actual Blair Witch. It just "clicked".

Certainly the success of a movie is not proof that the Christian god exists. Especially, when shown in a country filled with insane Evangelicals. Show the movie in Iran. I bet it is less well received.

There is no evidence, that an actual Jesus ever existed. *smile*

Cheers!

Cheers!

October 4, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • claybigsby

"how is it that a church with their members doing the acting, producing, and all the effects can out do may of the Hollywood wachos? "

because there are more christian wackos wasting money in this country than we thought.

October 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Rick

I think I saw the review. God giving the movie a big thumbs up.

October 4, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
    • when

Double cheers? Sounds like David Johnson's had a few extra beers this morning.

October 4, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
    • Jesus

I wonder if "God" (your invisible friend in the sky) has a casting couch. Based on His former myth, he likes to do married women.

October 4, 2011 at 3:37 pm |
  17. Jeremy Tuel

II am continually amazed that a movie with the goal of helping men be better husbands and fathers gets bashed because it's a Christian-sourced production. Saying all Christians are lunatics is like saying all Germans are Nazis, for one. Why would anyone not want fathers to be good fathers, giving their children the love and respect and help they deserve?

October 4, 2011 at 10:11 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Why is Christianity required for that?

October 4, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • myweightinwords

What Doc said, but also I have to wonder how we're defining "good father" here.

October 4, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • Jimtanker

You can be good without god. In fact, being good without the threat of eternal damnation or reward means a lot more.

October 4, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • Sid

News for you, Jeremy:

All Christians are lunatics. They suffer from an illusory disorder and display an inability to reason and draw conclusions based on the available evidence.

October 4, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • hippypoet

i agree with Jimtanker. however having a good dad to teach you how to be a good father is needed and times change, so the teaching changes and so the lesson also.
      just things to consider.

October 4, 2011 at 10:31 am |
    • ThinkForYourself

"There is, in my opinion, no one recipe for what makes a good father, aside from loving your kid."

-of course, by that definition, the god of the bible, the father, isn't a very good one. If an earthly father decided to torture indefinitely his child for not worshiping him after a set amount of time, he'd be in prison so fast his head would spin.

October 4, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • William Demuth

Jeremy

Have you ever seen a Nazi propoganda film?

Many of them when taken out of context seem almost uplifting, truly inspiring works of art!

Then you realize they were used to indoctrinate a generation of Germans into commiting genocide against a different group, simply because they were not Christian.

Scary, ain't it!

October 4, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • when

@ Jeremy. The reason the movie is getting bashed is BECAUSE it's a Christian production. Non-believers feel threatened by it. They post their venom on the "belief blog" actually thinking they can sway people with their idolatry of themselves. They want to believe Christianity is on it's way out. The movie, being released in fewer theaters, came in number 4 at the box office. This is a huge blow to their egos. You can pretty much bank on the fact that none of these bloggers have seen the movie so basically it's business as usual: they are posting about something they know nothing about. They do it all the time. All day and night, about twenty posters.....spreading hate and persecuting Christians and Christianity. I guess they all work from home or live off unemployment because there never seems to be a time they're not at their computer. It would be interesting to see what kind of parents THEY are. With so much hate in their hearts, I shudder to think.

October 4, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Norbert The Antimatter Dragon

when, believers in Dumbledore are looking at you and laughing. Dumbledore got way more movie visibility than god and he's way more cool.

Dumbledore >> god.
      Harry Potter >> jesus

The numbers prove it.

October 4, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • ThinkForYourself

@when,

"The reason the movie is getting bashed is BECAUSE it's a Christian production
      -I haven't seen it, so I can't bash it. I havne't seen a post so far that bashes the actual movie. That's quite the generalization.

Non-believers feel threatened by it.
      -I've never been threatened by a movie. Do you feel threatened by a Carl Sagan book?

They want to believe Christianity is on it's way out.
      -at least in the US, it's trending at that way. Recent Pew Research polls show evidence of such a trend. Sorry to let facts get in the way.

This is a huge blow to their egos
      -Can you explain how anyone's egos are threatened by a move. This comment (as are most of yours) is ridiculous and illogical.

spreading hate and persecuting Christians and Christianity
      -How is pointing to evidence and fact, and pointing out the lack of logic and evidence in another's comments persecution? I see you have the typical "the world is out to get me" christian persecution complex. get over yourself.

And would the hate that non-believers supposedly have somewhat like the hate that some believers have when they delight in the fact that non-believers will be tortured for eternity.

Are you the pot, or the kettle?

October 4, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • myweightinwords

@when,

I have not seen this movie, and I probably will not. Not because it was made by Christians or because of it's Christian message, but because the story, at least as it's given in this article, has no appeal for me.

However, I don't despise it for it's message. There is no blow to my ego. I am, overall, mostly ambivalent with regard to the whole thing.

I only comment because I do know a thing or two about good fathers and bad fathers and have an opinion with regard to what makes a man one or the other. I know that religion has nothing to do with it. What matters is love and a willingness to do what is right for the child. And yes, I do believe that sometimes that means leaving.

October 4, 2011 at 11:03 am |
    • AGuest9

You can also sit in church every Sunday, and abuse your children and beat your wife. I know at least one "good christian" husband who fits that bill. (I, unfortunately, was married to his daughter at one time.)

October 4, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • chad

100% agree, why are most atheists so against anything that Christians do? good question..

October 4, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Rick

"why are most atheists so against anything that Christians do?"

most atheists aren't. however, many are amused by the pompousness christians possess

October 4, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Jeremy Tuel

INowhere did I say that Christianity is required to be good, or that Christians = good or perfect people. Unfortunately, many of you commenting here seem to think that messed up humans mean a messed up God, or that humans who want to be loving and faithful to their Creator should be able to live without mistake. Neither is true. Christians ARE plenty messed up and plenty hypocritical people who realize that God loves them and offers them forgiveness, peace, and hope.

But that's not even the bottom line of my first post – a movie (which I haven't seen and am not incredibly interested in seeing) that is meant to encourage stronger relationships between fathers and their kids shouldn't be bashed for what it's not – and while there certainly may be elements of proselytism in it (again, I haven't seen it), I would think that each of you would be adult enough to make up your own mind about that message. It's not as if you can't accept what might be helpful and disregard what you wish – we each do that daily.

October 4, 2011 at 3:23 pm |

"Doc Vestibule

Why is Christianity required for that?"

Because Hollywood hasn't stepped up to take the responsibility yet.

October 4, 2011 at 6:03 pm |
  18. Doc Vestibule

Every time I hear Kirk Cameron talk these days, I feel brain cells explode.
    The former Mike Seaver is responsible for the wide propagation of the "crocoduck" fallacy.
    Jesus may forgive him for it, but evolutionary biologists the world over curse his name.
    Anyways...
    This movie simply reinforces the fact that a good portion of the families that pray together do NOT stay together.
    I guess fear of eternal torment for adultery just doesn't motivate people the way it used to.

October 4, 2011 at 9:52 am |
    • William Demuth

Propoganda is an incredible tool.

As we have all become so painfully aware, some things actually CAN be planted in peoples minds so deeply, that it is almost impossible to remove it, regardless of ANY evidence offered.

Particularly among the young, the long term ramifications of indoctrination are profound.

This is why home schooling scares me as much as it does. We end up with competing realities, rather than one reality.

October 4, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • W247

William – have you spent any time ( objectively) with home school families? Or families that participate in co-ops? On the fli[ side, how much time have you spend in present-day public schools? I was raised in public schools, my children went through public schools, I am now encouraging my daughter to stay home and home school her kids. I know quite a few families in my metropolitan area that do home school, most of their children have been given experiences and an education that is beyond what they would ever receive in a public school.

it is so easy to put down something that you know nothing about or even tried to understand.

October 4, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  19. Sid

Seems kind of appropriate and natural for the church to be in the movie business. They've been successfully promoting their fantasies for hundreds of years, and raking in the cash from their activities. Same result here, and the sheeple will feel obliged to shell out their $ yet again, for the movie. Disney should be worried about the competi-tion.

October 4, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • Jesus

There's lots of money to be made by milking the weak minds out there. Just show 'em in film their fantasy belief system and they'll buy up tickets by the fist full. Mel Gibson, that notorious bigot, proved that!

October 4, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
  20. hippypoet

there may be those who speak against me but all I wish to do is say that we, the human species and everything else on this planet, owe everything we were and could be given proper leadership to the ALMIGHTY SUN. think about it, its a logical thing to worship if you are to worship anything...but if you can't see and feel your "god" shouldn't you ask youself why? that is when its time to look up towards the one true GIVER OF LIFE.

October 4, 2011 at 9:08 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

The sun is for the fallen souls, the sun shalt not exist without the law of gravity. It is the alpha and the omega, all praise the trinity of Gravity, Electromagnetism, and the holy Nuclear Force(s).

-Amen

October 4, 2011 at 9:49 am |
    • Norbert The Antimatter Dragon

We shall not forget the positrons. Equal rights for antimatter. The sun depends on us.

May the antiSarahPalin appear and combine with its matter complement, resulting in annihilation and less radiation than comes from the complement's mouth in a day.

October 4, 2011 at 9:56 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Please note that the following names for The Sun God are all ready taken:
      Anyanwu, Magec, Mawu, Ngai, Kamba, Gnowee, Wala, Wuriupranili, Yhi, Chup Malakbel, Huitzilopochtli, Nanauatzin, Teoyaomicqui, Tonatiuh ,Xiuhtecuhtli, Saulė,Ekhi, Meri, Shapash, Áine, Alaunus, Étaín, Grannus, Lugh, Mug Ruith, Bast, Horus, Amun, Atum, Aten, Khepri, Nefertem, Ra, Sekhmet, Sopdu, Ptah, Albina,Thesan, Sól (Sunna), Alectrona, Apollo, Eos, Helios, Hyperion, Agni, Aryaman, Mitra, Ravi, Saranyu, Savitr, Surya, Arinna, Istanu, Inti, Akycha, Malina, Amaterasu, Marishi-Ten, Endovelicus, Neto, Ao, Tama-nui-te-rā, Ah Kin, Kinich Ahau, Hunahpu, Tohil, Nergal, Shamash, Utu, Wi, Baldr, Dagr, Freyr, Sól, Nahundi, Atanua, Atarapa, Aurora, Elagabalus, Sol, Beiwe, Belobog, Dažbog, Hors, Radegast, Zorya, and Koyash.

A religion doesn't have to be original – but your God certainly needs a name much cooler than "Sun".

October 4, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • hippypoet

yes Gravity is needed but the Sun creates its own Gravity by simply spinning. Anti matter is another topic completely, it yes has to do with the Sun but little to do with my belief. I reckonize it and move on. as for the name.. a ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL BUT A ROSE! so call it what you like, there is no dening that it is the reason we are here and it keeps us alive. thats a fact!

October 4, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Hippypoet
      But if religions throughout history have taught us anything, it's that you've gotta anthropomorphize your object of worship if you want people to pay homage to it – therefore you need a cool name and a good backstory.
      This whole "cosmic dust" thing is too complicated. You need something more emotionally resonant, like the Sun was squeezed out of Galactus' nostril during the Great Sneeze of Creation and all the galaxies are but phlegmy spots on the kleenex that is existence.

October 4, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • hippypoet

sry Doc... my belief is based all on sciencific facts or theorys such as the law of conservation of matter and energy. that pretty much sums up my entire belief. No grand story is needed where one has already been told. i do however use and play off of other beliefs already in use today such as the holy trinity... THE SUN, the Fire, and the Heat given off....but as i said you may call it what you like, the fact remains the same like numbers or elements to the world. never changes that the SUN is the source of us. May not have been the true start to we as a species but is the constant force of our lives, for without we all die, everything on this planets goes the way of the Dino.

October 4, 2011 at 10:29 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@hippypoet
      Just trying to help you sell your religion.
      Observable, quantifiable facts have never sold very well.

October 4, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Hasa Diga Eebowai

Hippy, technically speaking our elements were "born" in other stars. But yes, our "life force" is certainly from the sun.

October 4, 2011 at 10:45 am |
    • ThinkForYourself

@Doc,

You forgot Arien and potentially Aule if you're including the sun's maker, not just the god guiding the sun.

October 4, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Norbert The Antimatter Dragon

May the Forces be with you, Sun.

October 4, 2011 at 10:51 am |
    • AGuest9

hippy, you need to go back and take a physics class. Gravity is not a result of spinning, it is a result of mass.

October 4, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • hippypoet

nope i am not in need of any physics class... see no matter how much mass an object has if it does not spin the gravity will be much less. there is no object in space that does not spin, think about that! and i know that more mass an object has the more gravity it throws out, but not the same as a still yet large mass filled object.

October 4, 2011 at 11:18 am |