home
RSS
Church produced film 'Courageous' lights up box office on opening weekend
Produced by a Georgia church, “Courageous” opened in the number four slot last weekend.
October 4th, 2011

Church produced film 'Courageous' lights up box office on opening weekend

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

(CNN)– A Baptist church in Albany, Georgia, is getting Hollywood's attention - the church, Sherwood Baptist, has developed a movie-production operation, and its latest offering opened last weekend as the Number Four top money-grossing film in the country.

The Christian-themed film, "Courageous," was developed in connection with TriStar, Sony, and Provident Films. It is meant to inspire fathers to not leave their families, to love their children, to not fail.

"Courageous," which opened in just 1,161 theaters this past weekend, depicts four police officers who share a commonality both as fathers and in their effort to become better ones. The movie and its characters, played by amateur actors and members of Sherwood Baptist are enveloped in various ways in a devastating tragedy.

According to boxoffice.com, which tracks movie response nationwide, put "Courageous" at the fourth position for the weekend with gross revenues of just over $9 million. The fifth- and sixth-place movies ("50/50" and "Dreamhouse") both opened at far more theaters but did not come close to the weekend box-office income of "Courageous."

"Courageous" takes on a timely topic - fatherhood.

The National Fatherhood Initiative, an organization dedicated to "educating and engaging fathers across the country," lists wide-ranging adverse affects that correlate to children growing up in fatherless households. Fatherless households are common in the United States, and there is no causal evidence linking fatherless households to increased suicide rates, incarcerations, aggression, behavioral disorders, delinquency, criminal activity, confused identities, low achievement, and criminal activity.

But the correlating evidence is so strong that in a country where the most recent census lists 24 million children - one in three - living apart from their biological fathers, it is remiss to discount it.

"No matter what your scenario is - you're single or married or whatnot - we want to really inspire and encourage men to see the value of their role as a dad," says Alex Kendrick, the co-writer, director, and actor who plays the character Adam Mitchell in "Courageous."

Kendrick, who co-writes with his brother Steven, says, "The reason we put it in a law enforcement setting was that, as you know, a motto from law enforcement is to serve and protect, and then we drew a correlation to what a father is supposed to do."

"We drew that correlation and said, 'Wouldn't it be interesting if we put this in the context of police officers who are also dads, and they may be heroic on the streets but it also takes courage to be a great dad - not just a good enough dad.'"

Ken Bevel, who plays Nathan Hayes, a sheriffs' deputy in the film, says that everyone has a dad and can relate to a fatherhood story. "We just pray that this movie resonates in the hearts of men and women and families across the globe," he says.

"If you go to Sherwood (Baptist Church) on any given day you will see a bunch of people that are in the movie," says Bevel, who played Kirk Cameron's fellow firefighter in "Fireproof," the last film from Sherwood Pictures.

"Our desire is not to become the next movie-making sensation or to make millions and millions of dollars at the box office," he says, "our desire is to see hearts changed and families touched."

Kendrick's character, Adam Mitchell, makes a general statement over grilled steaks to his fellow officers in the movie: "Half of the fathers in this country are already failing," he says, "and I don't want to be one of them."

The Christians at Sherwood Baptist Church, says Kendrick, "want especially men to walk out of the movie theater saying, "This movie makes me want to be a better dad and really a better man as a model and mentor to my children.'"

"You will see a difference and it will make a difference in our culture," he says.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Georgia • Movies • United States

soundoff (1,517 Responses)
  1. pulsars

A church going into the movie making business should no longer have a tax exempt status – the church would not have to pay taxes if, and only if, the movie is shown IN churches and viewers pay a "donation" to see it.

October 5, 2011 at 1:02 am |
    • I's say's

You should know something about the church and those who helped them make the movie and about the proceeds from the movie before you start speaking of what you are ignorant about.

October 5, 2011 at 1:24 am |
    • Valex

Just be happy that someone is doing something positive! How about that? The scripture talks about this though...People that despise those that are doing good! Screw tax status! There doing the right thing!

October 5, 2011 at 1:39 am |
    • pulsars

I's say's – I do not need to know about who made this movie or what they do with the profits. The fact remains that this church is now a profit generating business and should be required to pay taxes. Whenever you see church leaders living in luxurious homes on estates , there is something very wrong with that! These people do not pay taxes and laugh all the way to the bank while making suckers out of followers like you.

October 5, 2011 at 3:11 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>”Whenever you see church leaders living in luxurious homes on estates , there is something very wrong with that! “

The interesting thing is that your statement is your own ax to grind with those Faith leaders. There is a movement on Wall Street where folks are upset because bankers and stock brokers are making, what they feel, is too much money. Is the amount of money that a person makes something really to factor in to another persons opinion of the same person? If a church is paying their pastor enough money to live in a estate then that is what they feel he is worth for his position as their pastor. They pay CEOs huge amounts of money to come in and streamline... I mean layoff and fire , companies. Do we see something “very wrong with that” ?

Who in society should be getting the highest salaries? Try this, if we say teachers should be the highest paid, what about those in society who do not have children and not planning on having children, or sadly can not have kids?

Here is a question Pulsars. Say the pastor is living in a mansion and driving a Bentley but, you find that the bulk of his income that allows him to afford such a lifestyle comes from his book sales or similar? Would you still find it wrong?

October 5, 2011 at 3:55 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Just be happy that someone is doing something positive! "

Try this. A bunch of years ago in some state, a local KKK group wanted to sign up with other groups to take turns cleaning a local road or highway. Sorta, the scouts had one weekend, a ladies group another, a fraternity another. etc. The community would not allow them to join up. The Grand Wizard or whatever questioned that if they were willing to help to do good in the community why was there a backlash.

Valex, with some Atheist the idea of a religion or the Faithful doing anything positive either does not happen or must be prohibited from happening. For your enemy to... One, remain your enemy and two, to be seen as a enemy by more of the populous as a enemy.... any positive actions must be suppressed.

Why, do you think that Washington DC is in gridlock? Simple, neither Dems or Repubs.,... want to pass any bill that might work and would make the other side look good.

October 5, 2011 at 4:13 am |
    • Tacitus Talks

If the church turns the profits into charitable uses – they are still tax exempt.

October 5, 2011 at 4:23 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

"the idea of a religion or the Faithful doing anything positive either does not happen or must be prohibited from happening."
      The above statement is patently absurd. I've yet to encounter anybody who claims that religious charities do no good.
      Many of us have an issue with charity that comes at a price – like a sermon.
      I will not donate to the Salvation Army as they try to shame and/or convert gay people, but I would never assert that the organization doesn't help people in need.

Conversly, have you any idea how many times I've been told by believers that I am empty inside and incapable to moral, ethical behaviour due to my lack of belief in the supernatural?

October 5, 2011 at 9:05 am |
    • Erm

pulsars> Agreed! If you are making a profit, you are NOT non-profit.

Same goes for the pastors driving a Mercedes, Bentley, whathaveyou. There is something VERY wrong with that.

October 5, 2011 at 9:47 am |
    • Gort01

they dont still keep their "nonprofit status" do they???? Id want the IRS in there ASAP

October 5, 2011 at 9:52 am |
  2. hippypoet , the prophet

using the law of conservation of matter and energy is the law of the world- think about it- the ALMIGHTY SUN IS THE ONLY GOD WORTH (whorshipping) ONCE AGAIN, THINK ABOUT IT!

say onto the lord god the SUN, we the people ask you why thoust shine and whom thoust shine for? ALMIGHTY SUN THEN SPOKE – WHY DO HUMANS ASK SUCH QUESTIONS WHY I SHINE FOR THE REASON OF MY FIRE BURNS, THE HEAT IS GIVEN TO USE...TRANSFERR THE ENERGY INTO ALL THINGS, I THE GOD SUN, THE ALMIGHTY SUN, ALL POWERFUL AND GIVING GOD TELL ALL INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO USE MY ENERGY TO GO FORTH AND SHINE IN EACH YOUR OWN WAY, FOR ALL I FIND ARE BEAUTIFUL. PRAISE BE ONTO THE GREAT LORD GOD THE SUN ,THE ALMIGHTY SUN , ALL POWERFUL AND GIVING SUN! 🙂

October 4, 2011 at 11:12 pm |
    • Bob

i'm sorry but hippypoet, you're an idiot.

October 5, 2011 at 12:41 am |
  3. Judged@41

Awesome! Can't wait to go see this movie. So glad to see so many spiritually inspired movies coming AND doing so well at the box office. Perhaps there is hope for us yet...

October 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  4. KeithTexas

Too bad it is about cops, there is no redeaming them.

October 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • steveinmo

That is a sad statement Keith. Nobody is beyond hope (except for one) as far as people are concerned.

October 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • steve

Keith thats very bold of you to say. Ill bet its easy to criticize a profession that is held to a high standard than you are.

October 5, 2011 at 12:27 am |
    • not peace but a sword

I've actually had the pleasure of serving the police breakfast with my church and to hear from their point they can use much more love and support. I use to live against them but to see their sacrifices all I wanna do is love them

October 5, 2011 at 1:49 am |
  5. hippypoet , the prophet

October 4, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
    • Sun

I have already set in these parts of the hemisphere, God willing will rise again tomorrow morning!

October 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Dave Davis

Love that reply, son-er, I mean SUN.

October 4, 2011 at 11:35 pm |
    • Delphi

Sun..."God willing will rise again tomorrow morning!"

All Hail to Apollo... who will wake the Sun and carry him across the sky with his chariot. All Hail to Apollo!

October 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm |
    • drh1214

Alll hail Levi Hutchins, the inventor of the alarm clock. for without him, Apollo will not wake up in time to wake up the sun. All Hail Levi Hutchins!

October 5, 2011 at 12:55 am |
  6. Richard S Kaiser

Today is but an unworthy moment of existence within the streaming enclaves of the debonair unduly personified. Yesterday's visionaries are no more of devoted worthiness. Life's totalitarian wholesomeness is no more being cleansed by repentence nor do many individuals truly care anymore. Throw one's money here and there never in care, never to care. Help they say, what is such chicanery many do ponder. The watchtowers have been crumbling with no hope ever to rebuild. You who are without will win by your deeds to rebuke and blaspheme GOD and HIS Truth. Remember therefore this; Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.". Give thanks you who remain unmoved and are steadfast in knowing. Soon oh GOD, soon. I wait at the door and shall open it should anyone knock.

Luk 17:21 "Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is inside/within you." Inside mind you, inside.

Jhn 18:36 Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence." Christ's kingdom is not of this world so be careful of what you say and do think in this world which is not the Kingdom,,,,,,,,,

October 4, 2011 at 9:49 pm |
  7. SUN

muhahahahaha ALMIGHTY SUN SHINES UPON YOU ALL!

October 4, 2011 at 9:43 pm |
  8. not peace but a sword

Praise the Lord! We need more christian movies in the industry 🙂

October 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm |
    • Dave Davis

Amen and Amen! Enough of the "progressive" agenda of Hellywood, it's time for some DECENCY to shine forth! God bless America.

October 4, 2011 at 11:38 pm |
    • not peace but a sword

Yessir! I'm a father myself with 2 little girls and one of my little girls is from another woman before I came to know christ an since then its been a struggle to build that relationship so I can't wait to see what this movie could bring and who it caninspire to do something great 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 12:09 am |
    • tallulah13

Why can't you do something great without a movie? Why can't you just be a good person? I don't understand why people think they need religion to be good people. All you have to do is grow up.

October 5, 2011 at 2:16 am |
    • not peace but a sword

The problem is peoples definition of a good person is rather opinionated. What's your definition? Mine is defined by God not a man.

October 5, 2011 at 9:37 pm |
  9. sms white label

I look forward to seeing it

October 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm |
  10. low of the high

Bravo! we need more inspiration in the big screen.

October 4, 2011 at 9:26 pm |
  11. steveinmo

All of you non-believing trolls and h8rs here might have an ounce of credibility if you came here AFTER watching the movie and with the intent of friendly discussion, especially that of just how bad Hollywood has become with the normal filth they put out. If you don't like that someone made a movie with a Christian based theme, then don't watch it. But when you repeatedly come to only vent your h8 and show just how much you want to ki11 (in your hearts yes) all Christians, you only show your ignorance and fear.

October 4, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • Ellen

steveinmo, sounds like you are the hater here, and you've got quite an axe to grind.

But your axe handle's too short and you're envious of the guy at the next stall, the atheist one in this presumed p1ssing contest of yours.

October 4, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • Jeff

I understand.. Amen! But you must remember..it's not you they want to kill or persecute.. It's Jesus Christ our savior, It's God they hate.

October 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Stan

I think what he's said is right on the money. The atheists on this site pretty much all project hatred and ridicule. Goes to show how bad the whole insecurity thing is with them.

October 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • steveinmo

Ellen, none of what you just said makes any sense.

Have you seen the movie? If so then fine, let's talk about it, it's plusses and it's minuses – I don't agree with everything in it myself.

If you've not seen it, then why are you here commenting at all? You just proved my point and statement, thank you.

October 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Ellen

Way to miss the point steve-o. And the target. Clean up the floor after yourself.

October 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Ellen

No, Jeff, it's YOU we want to persecute. We're all out to get you.

LOL.

October 4, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Jorge

Yikes, a slightly kinder/gentler version of my second cousin...buddy, nobody wants to kill you, not even pinch you in the arm, relax, put down the torch.

October 4, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
    • Lee

I haven't seen it and most likley won't. I also won't comment on it, but steveninmo, how many films, books, pieces of art have christians condemned without ever seeing or reading them? Yet somehow that seems to be ok. This whold idea that we who don't believe want to kill all christians is an absurdity. I have no animosity towards any relgiion but that doesn't mean I have to like them when they try to force their beliefs, so-called morals, on me or others and I think you'll find that is true with the vast number of people who post on here. Keep your beliefs away from laws that affect all of us and you'll find you'll be much more accepted by all.

October 4, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
    • Ellen

steveinmo, you might have an ounce of credibilty if you showed that you'd actually read the bible. No evidence of that so far, just your own hate.

But that axe handle, nothing gained there. You're still short on that front.

October 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
    • Lee

Jeff, I got news for you, it's impossible to hate something that doesn't exist.

October 4, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
    • steveinmo

Yes Ellen, I do read the Bible you accuse me, without evidence, of not reading. If you truly understood what it said, you'd know I said nothing out of order. Unfortunately you still don't get it, but I'd have better success talking with a rock, which is truly sad.

October 4, 2011 at 9:34 pm |
    • Patrick

As a non-believer, I think your point about seeing the movie first is a great point.
      I think your comment on what is in our hearts is a gross generalization of a ludicrous fact. It is the type of thing people say just before they deny the Holocaust.

October 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
    • steveinmo

Lee, I won't argue with you over censorship. To say a book is wrong, providing one has read it, is one thing. But to destroy them altogether is not what Jesus taught. The place to make that stand and those judgments and decisions is the responsibility of parents in the home, not legislated. That's the theme of what this movie was about – parents, especially fathers, taking responsibility. That's something severly lacking in society today.

October 4, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • J.W

I think ellen is probably a joke just trying to rile people up.

October 4, 2011 at 9:44 pm |
    • steveinmo

Patrick, and Lee,

I made that statement as I've run into those sentiments here on this site too many times to count, and too many times over the last 31 years since I was Saved.

October 4, 2011 at 9:45 pm |
    • Ness1

Oh come on! If this were a story about *gasp*! evolution, all the religious nuts would come on to this board and call it moronic and dumb. It's the same thing... except a scientific story is backed up by fact and a religious story is just opinion based as God can't be proven to exist.

October 4, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
    • John Richardson

@Stan Hate, no. Ridicule, yes.

October 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
    • steveinmo

Ness, you're right to a point. You likely wouldn't find that story on the Belief page, more like the Science & Tech page. And not all of us pay any attention to that to be over there wasting our time posting, only the misguided zealots trying to do what they ought not do.

October 4, 2011 at 9:59 pm |
    • wardabroada

ya...kill everyone. Persecution is somethying that christians would never do.

October 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • steveinmo

@wardabroada,
      True, and you'll never find me calling the catholic church a true church, only the abomination it is, the great wh0re of Rev, drunk on the blood of the saints – those they killed.

October 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • John Proctor

steveinmo,

You need to watch "The Crucible" too.

October 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • CHUCK

Ellen, steveinmo was completely reasonable in saying what he did, and nothing in his statement sounded hateful or envious of anyone. Atheists do not help their cause by slinging rude accusations in an attempt to either be witty, or hateful. You do nothing to help the atheist vision.

October 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm |
    • tallulah13

Chuck, Steve? I have been called all sorts of foul names by christians on these boards for the simple fact that I don't believe in god. They don't know a thing about me, but I have been told that I'm evil, that I am full of hate, that I am stupid, that I am spoiled, that I am lazy, that I want to kill christians... things that are flat out lies.

Some of my best friends are christian, and I know them to be good people, but if I were to base my opinion of christians on things said on these boards, I would have to believe that christians were evil, hateful and almost insane in their zeal. Perhaps you should consider the nature of your own words before you accuse others of things like "wanting to kill", Steve, or you when you call that reasonable, Chuck.

October 5, 2011 at 2:25 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"Chuck, Steve? I have been called all sorts of foul names by Christians on these boards for the simple fact that I don't believe in God. "

The name calling is crazy and sadly it cuts both ways since both Atheist and the Faithful have been guilty of it.

October 5, 2011 at 4:01 am |
  12. Jorge

After living in Augusta for the last 6 years I'm sure familiar with the Georgia brand of Baptist, OOOOOEEE. They did a number on my second cousin when he was a kid and his dad was on a tour of duty in Korea, and now he's a fundamentalist narcissistic sociopath who beat his also-fundamentalist wife before she left him and threatened his parents, calling them unchristian pagans because they wouldn't pay his child support. Last time I went to visit them was to make sure he didn't hit his dad while the cops came to evict him from their house for punching his brother in the face several times, he's 6' plus and almost 300 lbs., a real gem of the church.

October 4, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Larry

But if he worked for Wal-Mart you'd still shop at Sam Walton's stores.....

October 4, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Sally

Sorry to hear about your family's horrible experience. There are a lot of different kinds of people in the church, hypocrites as well as those who live out their faith and are a wonderful example. It is up to each person to take responsibility to hear the message and apply it accordingly, not the church's. The church is there to support, encourage and facilitate Christ's example. Unfortunately not everyone is wiling to grow, take action, and trust God to change their ways. Hope that makes sense.

October 4, 2011 at 11:04 pm |
    • Kosmogonia

Luckily, self-reflection is my church and the world is my teacher. I seek only what speaks to me, and it mostly arises from classical philosophy and eastern mysticism. But I can respect the path of a humble Christian, for their ideas are not so far from what I have known since I was a young child. Yet it is so easy to be misled and blinded by our own pre-conditioned ignorance, and fear.

As for this movie, I think any film that with a positive message should be given a chance, regardless of faith. Reviewers already claimed it's not preachy, so regardless what group made it, my question is: why not? If you judge the film before seeing it because a Baptist church funded it, then this only goes to show one's fear of the foreign and unknown.

October 4, 2011 at 11:21 pm |
    • Dave Davis

Good evening, Jorge. I hope that you are well, Sir. I would like to comment about your comment. I realise that there are many scattered throughout the ranks of Christondom who don't exactly reflect true Christian values. Let me ask, though: "Where would you expect to find a hypocrite other than in a Church or among people who proclaim to follow a Higher set of values than others?"

October 4, 2011 at 11:52 pm |
    • Bill

Jorge, the point of this movie is not to say that Christians are perfect or better ... the point of this movie is to encourage men NOT to act like your cousin.
      And for the record, to say that the church encouraged your cousin to beat his wife and his parents is simply a lie. It may not have helped him but it certainly did not encourage that type of conduct.

October 5, 2011 at 12:03 am |
  13. One small grain of sand on the beach

I commend these folks on what they are trying to do, to many fathers are giving up on their families. It is getting harder and harder to be a father in such a wicked and greedy nation as ours. Children need the security, love and guidance in order to grow into happy, loving adults whom are capable themselves of raising the next generation. If this only helps a few fathers become better, stronger parents, it was all worth it. God bless us all!

October 4, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Lee

Once again it seems to be all the fault of the father and not laws that tend to keep fathers from children instead of encouraging parternal participation.

October 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
    • ImpishLisa

Accountability is lost to most adults PERIOD nowadays. Everyone wants what they want and don't think of consequences beyond getting mr Happy wet or Miss juicy even more loosey. If you don't want to be a father, keep it covered. If you don't have the ability to be a MAN that leads by example, then don't dip your diddle stick into the gene pool. Got it? Good.

Next we discuss women that lie to get good men in trouble. Women that cheat on the good men and then demand alimony. Pfft.

Then, we can discuss everyone abandoning their elderly parents instead of caring for them like the parents cared for the children when their kids were helpless.. on and on it goes. The basis of all of God's wishes for mankind is to be good people and be good to each other. God gives us something bigger than us to believe in. We give our kids something to aspire to, to reach for. We choose to believe and prayers give strength. Our kids cry tears that pray for our attention, help and love. Stop bickering over who ended the marriage and freaking be the parents YOU wanted for yourself.

Hate on us believers but the truth is unshakable. You reap what you sow and sometimes in life we all have to eat a little crap to deserve the beautiful moments that come not when life is easy and good times abound, but when stuff comes after your heart is bruised and your dreams broken..only to realize that serendipity comes out of darkness, too.

They have it right. Men today ARE more immature than men in the early 1900's and mid 1900's. But let us also admit, Women are more selfish and slatternly. With great freedom comes greater responsibility. We need to do this as a team, people. There is a reason there is a man and a woman..a mother and a father. A child needs both to make it the best it can. Nature cannot be resisted.

October 4, 2011 at 9:35 pm |
    • Ness1

Bitter much? Since you're blaming women for all your troubles, I wouldn't be surprised that you would die alone.

October 4, 2011 at 9:54 pm |
  14. disco_fever

If you have no proof of where all the matter in the Universe originally came, then you should just shut up and stop acting as though your OPINION is fact. Our sciences, our religions, and our own minds cannot fathom a beginning of time (coming from nothingness). So please just stop with the the rhetoric.

October 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  15. The Poperino

Wait, wait, latest CNN Headline: God quits over unauthorized use of her name. Main Story. God handed in her resignation this morning, according to informed sources. She was heard to say that she was "tired of people doing really shi**y things" and " using her name without her permission to justify those shi**y things". Attempts to contact her were unsuccessful. Rumors are that she will retire somewhere off the coast of Somalia.

October 4, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  16. hippypoet

can anyone ARGUE that the sun is our sole source of life on this planet? can anyone ARGUE that without the SUN we could still exist?

October 4, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Tommy

Yes you are correct. Without the Son we would not be here.

October 4, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Sid

HP said SUN, Tommy. Stop perverting the words with your Christian scat.

October 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • hippypoet

hate to be the one to break it to ya there TOMMY, but people were here before and after your so called son of your so called "god", and therefore the smarter of us can deduce that he had little to do with anything but that small time he took up on a wooden cross. nice try moron. but an arguement is made with first a statement then a showing of proof and or evidence that could lead one to one or another conculsion. but you just made a moronic statement based upon a belief that has been told to child as a bedtime story. are you a child?

October 4, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • Sid

HP said SON, Tommy. Stop per-verting the words with your Christian sc-at.

October 4, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Sun

I am the awesome handiwork of God my creator!

October 4, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Sun

I am the handiwork of God my creator!

October 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • hippypoet

your son was very du mb to get his @s s nailed to a cross to prove to us that his death was a freeing action for all our sins... my SUN is just and very simply a life giving orb , and that fact can't be argued. get over your du mb@s s childish beliefs! time to grow up!

October 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Not quite simple

The sun is not the SOLE source of life on out planet. Anyone making simplistic statements, regardless of their view on religion (for or against) is simply wrong.

October 4, 2011 at 9:25 pm |
    • Dave Davis

Hippy, I reckon this ol' Missouri boy will just have to agree with Tommy. You can hate us, scoff at us and absolutely mock us. But, until our Lord returns for us, we will be right here. What's more, Sir, I have my doubts that any amount of "PROOF" could ever satisfy you and your morbid brand or atheistic hatred. If that is judging, then so be it! God bless America and America bless God!

October 5, 2011 at 12:00 am |
  17. Mike in NC

Now if only the ultra-wealthy could get another tax cut in exchange for cutting more education and health care for the middle class and the poor, everything would be right in the US.

October 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
  18. Pluto, the former planet

Oh yeah, I'm SO impressed by the sun's warmth.

Maybe we'll get something cooking when the sun becomes a red giant and earth is a REALLY REALLY former planet!

I never wanted to be a planet, anyway. They're all jerks. Well, Venus ain't so bad. But the rest? Ha!

What are YOU looking at?

October 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm |
    • Pluto, the former planet

Oh, this was meant as a reply to the hippy dippy guy who keeps looking to the wrong end of the solar system for inspiration.

And no, I don't mean that you should look to the g-ddam Oort Cloud for inspiration. "Oort Clioud" Ha! The name says it all.

If you don't know what I'm saying, it's because you don't WANT to know what I'm saying. Inner planet dolts. Almost as bad as the big gassy ones.

Only a fool would want to be a planet.

October 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • hippypoet

its ok pluto, i still think your a planet. and the SUN is sorry for not getting to your COMPLETE LACK OF POPULATION! again, sry. now wheres mickey, i bet he has a bone for you!

October 4, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Pluto, the former planet

Oort Oort Oort Oort Oort

October 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm |
    • hippypoet

and just so you know, the SUN really is our planetary GOD. if being a GOD means you are everything to a planet and or species... then the SUN is our dude! or dudette! you should know this, i know you know by the words you use. i don't lie and this is true, our personal STAR is our LIFESOURCE!

October 4, 2011 at 7:58 pm |
    • Pluto, the former planet

You know what it was, hippy? That stupid mathematical sequence that gets most of the planets right, but predicts a planet between in Mars and Jupiter, but doesn't predict me. The sequence is "officially" a load of rubbish. But every half bright kid figures it out and gets all giddy with excitement and astronomers are just a bunch of chronologically advanced bright kids. So deep down, they have all wanted to say that there WAS a planet between Mars and Jupiter that was pulled apart by gravity to form the asteroid belt – and that I am bogus, I'm some sort of runaway moon. Then their exciting little pre-adolescent discovery will seem true again, even if they dare not say so aloud amongst colleagues.

Well, they can have their crushed little planet between Mars and Jupiter. And I'd run away from the whole solar system if I could. But that danged sun of yours ...

As for Mickey Mouse, I have trouble taking a falsetto seriously as a master, I don't mean it in a se-xist way. I mean it in a "I don't belong to some rodent castrato" kind of way!!!

But the one who really creeps me out is Goofy. When he takes me for a walk. Something just seems so, so ... wrong ...

As for Mickey Mouse

October 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • hippypoet

i must say i am impressed with your knowledge about the lost planet which made the belt. i have much respect for you. most just know it as the asteriod belt

October 4, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Yuiop

In this fight of big near-spheres, I think I'll be betting on the Sun over Pluto...

October 4, 2011 at 9:05 pm |
    • Pluto, the former planet

@Yulop Oh sure, go ahead. Bet on the local big boy. We'll see. We'll see.

Hey, I'm just a little runaway moon. Not even a planet. Well, I guess big gassy Neptune doesn't know how to hold onto his own and maybe, just maybe the Sun won't, either!

October 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Pluto, the former planet

Hey, hippy! Not sold on your sun thing, but respect, man, respect!

October 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Pluto, the former planet

@Yulop Gotts add: "near sphere" – nice term! like it! gonna use it!

October 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  19. James

Can't wait for the movie to come to my area...anything positive in today's world will be a welcome relief...thanks to this church for stepping out and producing a quality movie for a small cost.

October 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
  20. hippypoet

Blessed & Loved

@russell
    You're mocking our spirituality and referring to it as a fairy tale. But that's not bitter?...
    The fact is that some of the most brilliant minds on earth (yes, more brilliant than average joes posting on CNN stories) have failed to disprove God's existence. Same thing for the resurrection.
    Personally, no one is forcing you to accept Christ as your Lord. No one is forcing you to worship God. So I see no need for you to be so disrespectful of the belief I share with many others. Not saying that either of us is right or wrong. All I'm asking for is a little respect.

right, you are a pure idoit... the idea that your moronic "god" has not been disproven is because there is no proof, which sciencifictly speaking is a very clear sign of non existence. dwell on that and rotate around my ALMIGHTY SUN! the only true bringer of life and provider of everything!

October 4, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
    • Mike in NC

It's time to put aside these sad mythologies as your adult equivalent of the "security blanket". Let them go. Use your brain to do the thinking rather than some silly fictional Book.

October 4, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • SDFrankie

Don't forget Leprechauns! They haven't disproved them either. And unicorns! Pink ones.

October 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Dave Davis

All this jazz about the SUN reminded me of something: I read once(Not in the Bible, either) that, by the calculations of several SCIENTISTS, if the SUN were to be any nearer to us than it is, we would burn up. If it were any farther away, we would eventually freeze to death. My point is quite simple: An intelligent design generally requires the concurring aid of an Intelignt Designer.

October 5, 2011 at 12:12 am |