home
RSS
Church produced film 'Courageous' lights up box office on opening weekend
Produced by a Georgia church, “Courageous” opened in the number four slot last weekend.
October 4th, 2011

Church produced film 'Courageous' lights up box office on opening weekend

By Gabe LaMonica, CNN

(CNN)– A Baptist church in Albany, Georgia, is getting Hollywood's attention - the church, Sherwood Baptist, has developed a movie-production operation, and its latest offering opened last weekend as the Number Four top money-grossing film in the country.

The Christian-themed film, "Courageous," was developed in connection with TriStar, Sony, and Provident Films. It is meant to inspire fathers to not leave their families, to love their children, to not fail.

"Courageous," which opened in just 1,161 theaters this past weekend, depicts four police officers who share a commonality both as fathers and in their effort to become better ones. The movie and its characters, played by amateur actors and members of Sherwood Baptist are enveloped in various ways in a devastating tragedy.

According to boxoffice.com, which tracks movie response nationwide, put "Courageous" at the fourth position for the weekend with gross revenues of just over $9 million. The fifth- and sixth-place movies ("50/50" and "Dreamhouse") both opened at far more theaters but did not come close to the weekend box-office income of "Courageous."

"Courageous" takes on a timely topic - fatherhood.

The National Fatherhood Initiative, an organization dedicated to "educating and engaging fathers across the country," lists wide-ranging adverse affects that correlate to children growing up in fatherless households. Fatherless households are common in the United States, and there is no causal evidence linking fatherless households to increased suicide rates, incarcerations, aggression, behavioral disorders, delinquency, criminal activity, confused identities, low achievement, and criminal activity.

But the correlating evidence is so strong that in a country where the most recent census lists 24 million children - one in three - living apart from their biological fathers, it is remiss to discount it.

"No matter what your scenario is - you're single or married or whatnot - we want to really inspire and encourage men to see the value of their role as a dad," says Alex Kendrick, the co-writer, director, and actor who plays the character Adam Mitchell in "Courageous."

Kendrick, who co-writes with his brother Steven, says, "The reason we put it in a law enforcement setting was that, as you know, a motto from law enforcement is to serve and protect, and then we drew a correlation to what a father is supposed to do."

"We drew that correlation and said, 'Wouldn't it be interesting if we put this in the context of police officers who are also dads, and they may be heroic on the streets but it also takes courage to be a great dad - not just a good enough dad.'"

Ken Bevel, who plays Nathan Hayes, a sheriffs' deputy in the film, says that everyone has a dad and can relate to a fatherhood story. "We just pray that this movie resonates in the hearts of men and women and families across the globe," he says.

"If you go to Sherwood (Baptist Church) on any given day you will see a bunch of people that are in the movie," says Bevel, who played Kirk Cameron's fellow firefighter in "Fireproof," the last film from Sherwood Pictures.

"Our desire is not to become the next movie-making sensation or to make millions and millions of dollars at the box office," he says, "our desire is to see hearts changed and families touched."

Kendrick's character, Adam Mitchell, makes a general statement over grilled steaks to his fellow officers in the movie: "Half of the fathers in this country are already failing," he says, "and I don't want to be one of them."

The Christians at Sherwood Baptist Church, says Kendrick, "want especially men to walk out of the movie theater saying, "This movie makes me want to be a better dad and really a better man as a model and mentor to my children.'"

"You will see a difference and it will make a difference in our culture," he says.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Church • Georgia • Movies • United States

soundoff (1,517 Responses)
  1. Middle America

Sounds good. Can't wait to see it. It seems to be a very useful and needed message for our society today.

October 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

This is such a tired argument. Please google "Pascal's Wager" to see how clearly flawed this argument is. I'll give you the short version – the consequence to you is if the true god is really Allah or if the path that you think leads to salvation is incorrect – because whatever the path you think is correct, there's plenty of christians who will disagree with you. Betting on your particular brand of god really isn't such a good idea after all.

October 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

Totally posted this above in the wrong place, meant for SavedByGrace above.

October 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • Les

The message stripped of its religious undertones may seem to make sense in a humanist way. However, the "problem of deadbeat dads is limited to the rather small percentage of American families that still can be classified as "nuclear" families. About 3/4 of all households in the US fall under the "non-traditional interpretation of legitimate "households.

The premise of the film seems to indicate that "fatherhood" is somehow an ideal to be sought by those living successful lives without a defined father figure. The belief is disingenuous of many levels including the questionable research that is based on.

For a start it glorifies fatherhood as a good goal,. clearly sends a subtle message that is breeding like flies is good. With a planet that is completely over populated, adding to the writhing mass of pie-holes is crimal. Not something that should be glorified. And this film never mentions that a truely responsible family is a family that adopts the many homeless children waiting for a parent. Instead it supports the crime against humanity nonsense that breeders are wonderful people.Not! They are in fact the sole source of the agonies the human race inability to feed everyone

October 6, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  2. Ignatius

This christian fairy tale was fourth behind : Dolphins tale (kids cartoon), Moneyball (baseball flick) and the Lion King (classic cartoon).

October 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • Alfonzo Muchanzo

a) it's not a fairy tale, it's a story trying to get fathers to actually be fathers for once.
      b) it opened in probably 1/3 of the amount of theatres those other movies did
      c) i never saw a movie preview for this (not say there weren't any) whereas i saw previews for all those other movies.
      d) you lack of intelligence clearly disqualifies you from making any valid points.

October 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • Ignatius

The Lion King has a similar storyline as courageous, small lion loses his father has to leave and bring himself up and become a man, sorry lion. The lion king has inspired me to have a some cubs.

October 4, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
    • Les

Xtians think that The Lion King is Xtian also. A rumor that was fueled by author. It is actually more pagan that Xtian though.

October 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Les

Alfonso is correct. Xtianity is not a fairy tale. It is a mythos.

October 6, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
  3. Maria714

As the song goes...."One day every tongue will confess You are God. One day every knee will bow." By every, God means EVERY. Even those of you who are here making a mokery of God. And the thing is, He will allow you to recall the day you read this. You are no longer without excuse. When that day comes-and it will-remember you were warned.

October 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • Colin

Thanks Maria. Given that your all loving god controls the admission process to hell, and given that he is omnibenevolent and loves me, I am sure he will forgive me for not believing in him, given his unpreparedness to reveal himself.

October 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

mock·er·y Noun/ˈmäk(ə)rē/1. Derision; ridicule. 2. An absurd misrepresentation or imitation of something.

You should look up "delusional" and then seek psychiatric assistance.

October 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Maria714

Colin, actually YOU control the admission process to both heaven and hell. It's all based on your one choice-did you or did you not accept Jesus as savior? God does not send people to hell anymore than he sends them to heaven. You are in charge-and if you choose to reject God, then you've made your choice. You can't wag your finger at Him 10,000 years from now and blame Him. You did it. It was all you. But there is a way out.

October 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Big Daddy

Don't listen to em. What you are saying is correct! In the final day, they will see and they will regret! You stick to your guns.. Don't let these idiots cause you to fall.. You stay strong knowing that you never are standing alone.. It is they that will have regret, not you... I will see you on the other side..

October 4, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
    • yeahalright

Interesting Maria. I didn't create heaven or hell, nor did I ask to be born. Yet it's all my decision eh?

You know what? Your god is extremely insecure, petty, and sadistic. Great, selfless, giving non-christian all your life who helps christians and non-christians alike? Too bad, to the flames you go. Love me worship me accept me or burn!

October 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • Colin

Maria, you are missing my point. I am saying that I will refuse to do so. I will not believe in god. I think the whole concept makes no sense. It seems a harmless act on my part to draw such a conclusion, given that it is the only rational conclusion to draw based on the evidence. It makes no sense to me to be punished for this – especially for all eternity, and especially by a being that loves me and could assuage my doubt with a wave of his mighty hand!

Sounds to me a little like someone screwed up when they decided to use the same sky-fairy as both the carrot and the stick.

October 4, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Les

Confessing that a gos is a gos doeas not mean that God is the only god. In fact, the bible clearly sates that in Jesus' own words, "You condemn me for saying that I an the son of God when I have said "Ye are gods". and from Paul, "Although their are many gods , for you there is but one god". Put that in your spike and poke it. Sophia (translated as "Holy Spirit" was the Greek goddess of wisdom and Elohim "translated "the Spirit of god) is a feminine plural that more closely means:goddesses. "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" suggests that gods definite are real and and that we should worship Yaweh, the storm god, before we start the rituals worshiping the other gods. Just saying.

October 6, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Les

Ooops..that's : Confessing god is a god doesn't......sorry.

October 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  4. grist

I an atheist. But this sounds like a good thing. I don't care if they make some money on it. I just hope the message is not that you have to be a good theist in order to be a good dad.

October 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • yeahalright

I agree, great message from the synopsis – be there for you children, raise them, participate in their lives.

And you can do all that without believing in 2,000 year old myths.

October 4, 2011 at 3:21 pm |
    • Big Daddy

Humm.. You might be right.. But it is sure helps..it is easier to love someone when you know you are loved, right. If you are still better yet unconditionally loved then, it is easier to unconditionally love, and forgive, and discipline , which you have to do... It seems to me, just me maybe, that having a good example, and not just a story of a good is example is better.. You see what I am saying..
      Also.. I am pretty sure that God is not really looking for a better version of you, or me. I am not better than you, that is a fact, being according to Gods word all equal. we all failed, basically. He is looking for something else. For you to transformed into the image of his son.. Do you see what I am saying, I know you might not agree. But do you understand.. will you at least consider what I am saying.. Things are easier if yu have an example, at least.

October 4, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  5. Big Daddy

I hope the film does well.. But.. Is it going to change things.. I mean.. Wife constantly screaming, kids constantly fighting and breaking things, cops constantly dragging them home after they do this or the other thing.. No wonder that dads go to the bars. The simple truth is that no one wants to kids. They are an accident. It is like saying, gee I think that I will get up this morning and poke my eyes out with a stick or smack myself in the head with a hammer. Right.. At best the wife lied to her husband, more often boyfriend, about taking the pill that day as a payback for complaining about her spending 800 dollars on new shoes. Lets be honest, Children are an accident that nobody wants to deal with.. The best that can be done is not tell the kids this to often and bear with the misery that they bring. I hope this film makes a difference but... Let's hope for the best, at least this will propagate the fantasy of leave it to beaver.. Until you go home and reality smacks you in the face.. I will go see the film if I can.. And ask other to do the same but.. Deep down inside, I know better.. We should deal with reality, right?

October 4, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Duh

Hey Big Daddy, if kids are accidents then what are marriages? Kids are only accidents to people who don't take responsibility for their own actions. Why does the world need terms like 'baby Daddy' or 'baby Mama' because this particular type of 'accident' has become so prevalent? Fatherhood is not an accident, it is a responsibility.

October 4, 2011 at 3:19 pm |
    • The Dude

Wow man. If you really feel that way about your kids, your wife, and your life, then I want you to know that i'll be praying extra hard for you bro, praying things get better for you. I think, since you've said what you've said, you owe it to yourself to go see this flick and see how it makes you feel. For me, my kids are the biggest blessing in my life. I love em. They're fun, they're smart, they're funny, they're the greatest thing that's ever happened in my life. I wish you could feel that way, for a little while. It's a great feeling. I'm sorry things are so negative for you right now, and for what it's worth I honestly will be praying for you. If you believe in that stuff, fine, and if not, no skin off your back, right? I've prayed for you once already bro. Praying things get better for ya. God bless.

October 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Big Daddy

The dude.. I am extremely happy to hear you or anyone say this.. I wish more people were like you.. That would be great..I wish more people where like you.. I wish my dad would have been like y for at least one day out the thirty years he tormented us.. I stand in respect..
      Yes. Responsibility is correct. But I can not think of a single person that wanted them.. And without wanting them, it is much harder to care about them or take care of them. I wish this was not true, but.. Sigh.. Ah.. What can I say. Sorry boss.. Most children are hated every day they live and every breath they take. I was.. And it was .. Miserable.. I hope this movies makes a difference!

October 4, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
    • The Dude

Hey man I'm just proud to be able to say it to you. I'm sorry to hear that about your dad. I know so many kids have to start off in a bad way in life, and they didn't have to, if their dad's would have done things differently. I'm sorry you had to go thru all that man, i really am. But just know that you don't have to feel down about that stuff anymore bro. From now on when you think about whether or not there are wanted kids out there, or just simple folks out there just trying to do the right things in life, you can just think of me and mine, and know i'm trying my best where ever I'm at. I'm out there trying. Doing what's right and doing what we know is good is a hard fight man, we both know that. But know there's one guy out here that's fighting the good fight with ya. I"m digging in, i'm trying, so you keep digging in and trying too. Remember things won't change unless we man up and change them. And I have and will be praying for you my good friend. I have already, and I will again a few times more before I go to bed tonight. You hang tough out there Big Daddy. God will stand with you if you let him. I believe that. Isaiah 1:18, one of my faves. Take care man, God bless.

October 4, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • Scott - other

Children are god's punishment for your imorality

October 6, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  6. Wut

Thank God I'm a atheist.

October 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • virtualgd

Kinda strange that your happy you're an i d i o t!

October 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
    • W247

Wut:
      what in the world does your statement have to do with this movie?

October 4, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • Saboth

I see 2 people that aren't smart enough to detect the joke.

October 4, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • W247

Saboth – thanks! That is funny.. I'm just kind of busy multi-tasking and it must have slipped by. Humor is great!

October 4, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
  7. Lucifer's Evil Twin

Good thing we have these godslaves to teach us how to be good fathers and to love our children. Otherwise, who knows what we would all do.

October 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
  8. the_dude

This is bs. I don't see any pictures of young men from white, upper-middle class background running around wearing hoddies.

October 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Me

That's because they are in the basement smoking pot and playing X-Box! And wake-up,....they are NOT in the middleclass anymore,.........the factories are closing and you NEED and education!

October 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  9. DesMoiner

Ah, I don't get it. More drivel designed to instruct me how to lead my life. What ever happened to entertainment without a message? I guess I won't expect to see any boobs in this movie either. Violence is ok in this country, but heaven forbid (pun intended) a boob pops out.

October 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

he said "boob" hehehe

October 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
  10. Bob

Churches use their untaxed money to buy out the theaters so their parishioners can go see it for free.
    That's how these films always have huge returns with such small theater releases.

October 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • twiddly

yep, totally bogus and where are the zombies fer JFC sake!

October 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • Scott in Atlanta

Not true. But then again, neither is most of the commentary about matters of faith, coming from people who claim to have none. That's kinda like me giving expert testimony of the comings and goings of YOUR household.

October 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Scott, it's totally true. Are you telling me now that you are ASHAMED of doing this and you're denying it? Gimme a break. It's how that firefighters movie broke even. They rent the theater after the last show or before the matinee and show it for their congregations.

October 4, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
    • Shawn

Bob you have no clue what you are saying, nothing to base it on and mostly you are just plain ignorant! This movie makes more sense and more logic than Einstein on his best day, the problem with most comments on this are because a lack of integrity and logic. It is simple statistics, find 10 fatherless young men age 21 and 10 that were raised with dedicated loving fathers and you will see the answer.

October 4, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Wait, Shawn too? No, really; if you have enough people interested the theater is glad to show a movie privately. You've never seen this done? You act as if I'm insulting your moms. Churches do this all the time and there's nothing weird or shameful about it. They show stuff for groups and make money off the concessions. Ask around. It sounds as if they are saying this is actually making money from public showings, which would be newsworthy, but most of this will have come from private shows.

October 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • Scott in Atlanta

The morning the movie "Courageous" hit the theatre, My wife and I were 2nd in line to buy our tickets. As we stood there, 4 buses from different churches pulled up to the ticket booth, full of families, and friends of the faith exiting the bus with money in hand willing to support something other than the trash that you champion. The largest theatre in the cinema was packed!!! And on the way out, as we were clapping and cheering, I was awed by the line that wrapped the building of the next group waiting to go in and celebrate a movie that ask nothing more of you, than to live like you appreciate grace and be a father!!! I know right.. The horror.

I can't expect you to understand. But you know what? It felt great to know that those of us with faith are willing to support and uplift what we believe in regardless of whether or not a whole bunch of people that claim to hate God (but spend all day on the "Belief" blog) have to say. As a matter of fact, if YOU agree with me and my lifestyle, then I better check myself because something is wrong.

You want me to abandon my faith for yours...lol Yeah right. Even to claim athieism is a sort of faith my friend. Just not one with much power....

October 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • Saboth

@ Scott. Wait...so in your first comment, you said it isn't true that churches bus people in and help them pay for tickets, but in your next post, you admit that bus after bus of churchgoers pulled up and went into the theater? I'm sure some of the people DID have "money in hand", and I'm also sure the other half had their tickets provided from the church coffers (such as the ones too poor to pay for $12 movie tickets).

October 4, 2011 at 4:48 pm |
  11. Robert

So, are the proceeds going to be taxed?

October 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  12. winston846

Fatherhood and all that's great (I'm a dad myself), but I think the one and only thing that matters to the church is the $9 million it brought in on opening weekend. I'm sure they didn't put anywhere near that much into making it. God is big business.

October 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • W247

So you are going to fault them for making a good movie that makes money? Do you scrutinize all the proceeds from all the movies that are out there?

It would be curious to see where all the proceeds are going towards though.

October 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • winston846

I'm not scrutinizing anything. Just pointing out that for the producers, this movie was not about promoting Christian values, it was about making money.

October 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • PopeJon

W247, Tax free profit, hell yes I have a problem with it.... Can you make movie and profit tax free? Didn't think so....

October 4, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • W247

Winston:

And you know that as a fact. You know the motives of the producers, you have sat down and had a heart to heart conversation with them? Or are you just making a disparaging remark just so that you can have something to say here?

October 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Nine million, TAX FREE. I bet they give it all to Sarah Palin so she can get Todd back to be a father to her anchor baby.

October 4, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • W247

Let's see if this will post this time:

Per IRS, if a tax exempt charity has an unrelated business, then that business must file a separate form and the income will be taxed.

So there you go, the government get's their cut back.

October 4, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
  13. Catholic4ever

We all have that God seeking need within us. Even the an Atheist. It's natural, God made us that way. True happiness only comes from him. Money, Possessions, career, spouse, etc, will never give you true happiness until you meet God. With God in your heart, everything else makes perfect sense.

October 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • ThinkForYourself

I've never been happier since shedding my beliefs and ceasing to try and seek a god.

October 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Sid

Catholic4ever, you are a stupid, deluded fool. Stop implicating the rest of us in your delusions.

I don't want a god; I have enough courage to look for real explanations for the world and the universe around me, and not to wimp out by accepting obviously false fairy tales such as Christianity.

You stupid, cowardly fool.

October 4, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
    • SurelyUjest

I think the message of what we can do to be better fathers will be once again blurred with the sill Christian view of GOD in our lives message. Sad we need more movies along this theme but we DONT need anymore monotheistic tirades.....

October 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • Bible Clown

"We all have that God seeking need within us." You are a liar and a chump. Speak for yourself if you must, but not for me.

October 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
    • Scott - other

@ThinkForYourself:

Ramen

October 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm |
    • Scott - other

“We all have that God seeking need within us”. NO!!! we all have a truth seeking need within us that gets perverted by our religious parents who give us the fairy tales of their upbringing, swear to us it’s the truth and punish us if we are skeptical.

October 6, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  14. vegan

First!

October 4, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
    • Bible Clown

yeah right

October 4, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  15. Lance

I suppose this means I should give up World of Warcraft. Damn.

October 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Duh

No, there are other reasons such as the main page article about men wasting their time with pastimes such as playing video games, while women outperform men in education and the workplace. You may have been busy and missed that article?

October 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
  16. hecep

"...to inspire fathers to not leave their families" notwithstanding, the film is probably meant to inspire people to send their cash via new avenues to the church.

October 4, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  17. JT

If you have to go to church and go see a Christian movie in order to be a good father then there's probably no hope for you anyway. I know numerous Christians who are terrible fathers. I'm an atheist and my children and others will tell you that I'm the best father they know.

October 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • Lance

I haven't seen the film, but I suspect it never says that atheists are incapable of being good role models and fathers.

October 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • RightCoast

How can you tell if someone is an atheist? Don't worry, they'll tell you.

October 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
    • Ignatius

Very true, Humanity and respect over religious dogma and intolerance every time. Religion peddles its snake oil and mythology.

October 4, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • oakhill3

If you have to use the Christian vs. Atheist context comparison to illustrate how great a father you believe yourself to be, then I would have to wonder at the values you are instilling in the very children you claim to be the terrific father of. Frankly, I think it's great someone produced a movie with a worthy theme – just happened to be a Christian church that did it. . . . .so why didn't someone else, ANY non-Christian group, find it a worthy subject to make a movie of. . . . .

October 4, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
    • SavedbyGrace

JT: I'm not questioning that you are a good father in the eyes of your kids but I would pose this question to you – What is the consequence to me if I'm wrong about repenting of my sins and placing my faith in Christ as the only way to salvation? More importantly, what is the consequence to you if your wrong? To your children? Repent my Friend and ask Jesus into your life as your Lord & Savior...Grace & Peace to you, in Jesus Name.

October 4, 2011 at 3:03 pm |
    • JT2

Hitler, Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot were all atheists. Do we really need more people like this? Sure I'm cherry picking but so are all the atheists out there.

October 4, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
    • lynn

If you're right and I'm wrong about Jesus, I will have lost nothing. I will have lived a life full of really great "coincidences", great "luck and fortune", and did my best to love and treat others they way they'd want to be treated. Hmm, not a bad deal for either of one of us, right? If I'm right and you're wrong about Jesus, I still will have not lost or missed out on anything. Either way, I'm fine. What about you?

You don't have to go to church to be a good dad. There are a lot of great dads out there regardless of background and I'm sure you're one of them. But hell is going to be full of a lot of nice people who refused Jesus and salvation. And here's the thing, there are going to be quite a number of self proclaimed Christians in there too. JT, I agree there are a whole lot of looney bins out there who claim to be Christians and are TOTAL nut jobs. I challenge you to find one really, true believer and follower of Christ and ask them what it's REALLY about.

Whether you believe it or not, Jesus is real, JT. He loves you and forgives you. He's just waiting on your resonse that right now is a firm no.

October 4, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@JT2
      Here we go again.
      "We were convinced that the people need and require this faith. We have therefore undertaken the fight against the atheistic movement, and that not merely with a few theoretical declarations: we have stamped it out".
      The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, Oxford University Press, 1942

The governments you mention, like North Korea, Russia and China, do not wave a banner of atheism for the populace to rally around – they are cults of personality (Kim Jong Il, Stalin and Mao Tse Tung, respectively).
      Lots of people have done terrible things in the name of Christ, but none in the name of atheism.
      Some lovely modern Christians groups spreading their interpretation of God's words include Manmasi National Christian Army and the National Liberation Front of Tripura, who force Hindus to convert at gun point and are known to encourage the murder of Hindu children, The Army of God and other groups who kill doctors in the U.S. and white supremacist Christian terrorist groups like the Aryan Nations, Aryan Republican Army, Phineas Priesthood, and The Covenant, The Sword, and the Arm of the Lord.

October 4, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • Bible Clown

Hitler was a Christian. You lie if you say different. And the other three were Commies, which is a religious philosophy. Mao and Lenin ended up as mummies in shrines being worshiped by followers. BTK was a church deacon, who'd still be passing the plate with that weird little smile if he hadn't used his church's computer to taunt police.

October 4, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
    • JT

For those of you who keep committing Pascal's Wager, your flawed assumption is that there is only two choices, either you're an atheist or a Christian..and a True Christian® just like me of course. What you are really saying is be a True Christian® (your interrpretation of what that really means) or a non-Christian. So...ALL non-Christians are destined for suffering in eternal flames. Not just those of us who lack a belief in any deity but also your fellow off shoots of Abraham...Jews and Muslims and Catholics.

So, all non-True Christians® are no better than we heathen atheists. Don't dodge what you're really saying,. You see how silly your flawed beliefs really are? Doesn't it make you look ridiculous?

October 4, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • Les

@JT2

Hitler was devout Catholic as was Mussolini. Atheism did not play a role in their dictatorships on any level..

October 6, 2011 at 3:15 pm |
  18. Roger in Florida

A waste of time to see that flick.

October 4, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
    • dljr60

Roger, why a waste of time? Did you see it?

October 4, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  19. Cal

To each their own. If faith is what you need to make it through your day/life, do what you need to do. The problem I have with faith is, which God is the right God? The Christian God is definately a different God than the Jewish God or the Muslim God. The Jews and Muslims don't believe in an all evil omnipresent Satan either. There are too many holes in these "popular" faiths.

October 4, 2011 at 2:43 pm |
    • Colin

Have you ever noticed that god always "chooses" the particular tribe or race in question, too. I would hvae given Judaism a little more credibility if it decided the Egyptians were the chosen people.

One of my favorite cartoons is of a prisoner released from Aushwitz concentration camp on the day of its liberation by the Red Army. He is emaciated and looking up at the sky, shouting, "next time, choose someone else."

October 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Shmeckell

Except, they are all the same God.

October 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  20. Reality

Courageous – Part III

Saving Christians (Mormons included), Muslims and Jews from the Infamous Angelic Con:

Joe Smith had his Moroni.

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus /Michael the archangel, the first angelic being created by God;

Mohammed had his Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day dem-on of the de-mented.

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.
    Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

October 4, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • dljr60

yep, good chance we are all wrong than all right. But faith is not fact, thus, the reason for the "holes". God wants us to trust Him even when we don't understand. That is difficult even for those who practice "faith". But that is the way it is. Either accept this by faith that is it for real, or reject it. We all have a choice. I chose to believe.

October 4, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
    • Reality

And then there is Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy !!!!

October 4, 2011 at 3:33 pm |