home
RSS
October 4th, 2011

Kentucky town celebrates Pagan Pride Day

Pagans turned out to celebrate the fall harvest in Louisville, Kentucky, CNN affiliate WDRB reports. "It's a celebration of all polytheistic religions," Pagan Pride Day coordinator Mike Avery said.

Read the full story at WDRB
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Druids • Kentucky • Paganism

1. Bo

@Richard K 12:28 post You could rignt, but I can well imagin that it came from a minister who has seen a lot of discord in church memebers that had to be delt with. What would you think?

October 5, 2011 at 1:13 pm |
  2. Anon

Polytheists and monotheists are both screwed up in the head, but then again polytheist are more peaceful than monotheists.

October 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm |
  3. Bo

@BRC I answered your 1042, but I don't know if it posted.

October 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
  4. Bo

@BRC post 10:42 Yes, I believe that God judges us according to the information we have at our disposal (if that's the right word) and how we react to it. As an example: a person who is living some place in central has never heard of the true God, but is living a "righious" life, treating man and nature with dignity, I believe that the person may have salvation. An other example:(I believe that Catholism is a false doctrine of Christianty) If a person really believes with all his heart that the Catholic doctrins are correct and living up to that teaching, I believe that person may have salvation, but if more truth is presented and because of stubonness says, "I'm not going to accept that" that person may be in danger of losing his salvation. But, ultimatly, God is the judge. For all I know there may even be some atheists who God will judge as rightous. But, because I say that does not let them off the hook. I'm not sure I understand your second question. PS I hope I can get another PC

October 5, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • BRC

Bo,
      Your reponse posted, but I don't know hwo to make my question any more clear. The only other way I can put it is this, why does it matter if your a Christian, Buddhist, or Atheist, as long as you're a good person? (a bit oversimplified from my original question, but it's close)

October 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  5. Richard S Kaiser

Punch drunk and befuddled, the muddling of "holidaisciousness" performs the duties of vine-ripened agentive attritions. To care or not to care, for such should be the wisdoms of practicalities. Never ever befuddle. Always be for kinfolks. Declare seductively the essences of perpetual soundness. Leave behind nothing that negatively construes. Elevate nothing poised in the balance. Tippy toe onto the lavishness of Paganistic Hedonism. Christians need not apply. Neither atheism nor secularism should be the confidant toward "meloncholiacism's" wayward dynamics. Pegs and beanbags only. No more saturation in staked wantonness. Love therefore, all mannerisms of social indebtedness. Show upon the greedy, their posthumous affair. Death is but an end toward a new beginning. One ever does die yet are always reborn ever more and no less. Peace and prosperities toward all of Life and its' seeds.

October 5, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

The Reaper of Calvinism becomes non-secularists’ quandaries. The futilities of bemoaning abates are characterizations only. Reap therefore as the day is longing. Fulfill the charities common goodness. Elevate nothing nor no one person alone. The dictatorially affluent forgoes the influential beckoning of triteness. Bewildered and bemused are ever those obligated. Wildly’ musings are ever subjugated and of paramount prosperities. Suck upon the ladles of superiorities until the thirst quenches the spatulas’ tongues. Quit everything that is not of the folds. Rejoice ever and never wrangle with the bemoaned. Finalized upon every thrombosis’ “aforementionings” are as but daily periodicals. Keep your mouth as a shutter that pounds amidst the storminess of propagandism. Leave now and never ever be behind.

October 5, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  6. hippypoet

May the ALMIGHTY SUN shine a light upon you all.

October 5, 2011 at 10:52 am |
  7. myweightinwords

I get annoyed when Pagans are represented by the "white light" crowd or solely by Wiccans or depicted as all new-age crackpots.

Admittedly, I haven't read the article, because for whatever reason, my work network is blocking it, and I don't know that this is how Pagans come off in it, but judging by what I've seen so far in comments, I have to assume that it is.

Not all Pagans are Wiccans. We don't all believe in the threefold law or the Wiccan Rede. We are not all pacifists. We do not all worship a nameless god and goddess, or believe that all gods are one and all goddesses are one.

Pagan is a term that encompasses a great spectrum of beliefs. And yes, some of them include some things that many would find laughable. But then, all religions do, don't they?

As a former evangelical Christian, who took a turn through agnosticism before finding my footing on a Pagan path, everything I believe is based on personal experience with the world, with fellow human beings and with myself. It is all variable and given the right experience, changeable to fit the evidence.

Don't assume you know what a person believes just because they use the label "Pagan".

October 5, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Les

Excellent post! This is my take and many others take on paganism. Polytheism is paganism. Paganism is not wiccan. Wiccan is a duelistic faith at best.

However, I am sure that you will agree, the Bunny fur crowd, the faery folk, the scantily dressed (if dressed at all) Gardenerian crowd or the weirdly attired psuedo New Age occultists make for better press. The press always neglects to explained that these type of people are far from "typical" Pagans.

If my child ever told me they were Xtian, I would ground them for a year and a day.. I would also have the person that told them about it arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Give me that "Old Time Religion" anytime instead of the Xtian new kids on the block with their foul and disgusting hate mongering and ludicrous Boogieman children's stories.

October 5, 2011 at 9:40 pm |
    • *frank*

Perhaps it would be better to fashion a stout spear of good oak from the sacred grove, and skewer the offender like a boar!

October 5, 2011 at 9:47 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

yes paganism encompasses a great scrotum of beliefs

October 5, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • myweightinwords

@Les,

My niece was raised in her early years in a home with a practicing Pagan, a Catholic converting to Paganism and a rudimentary Buddhist. She later started to attend a Christian church. I have no issues with what she believes because I know she was raised to think about what she believes and why and not just follow blindly.

Currently, at 16, she is not attending church, and has recently told me that she considers herself bi-s-exual. I am sure that when she thinks through her spirituality with the same care as she has her s-e-xuality, she will find her own path.

October 6, 2011 at 10:39 am |
    • Les

@frank

No oaks on my property but I am working a nice hard maple one which most likely will get the job done in a speedy fashion. Throw a couple of handfuls of caltrops on the path and they'll be dancing like a good pagan should and provide much amusement for all.

October 7, 2011 at 5:24 pm |
  8. Bo

@BRC post9:11 I'm glad you asked. Whith a resounding NO! just because a person claims to be a Christian will not insure their salvation. As a matter of fact it has been said that not 1 in 20 who claim Jesus as their savior will be saved. However the Bible does teach that there are some who never knew Christ as their savior will be saved. Will some atheists be saved? I'm not going to judge that. Only God knows the heart (mind). There have been some to come on this board and, as it were, condemened some to hell. The are steping out of bounds, the have no right to do that any more than a Catholic preist can forgive. I'm not sure if this answers your question(s), if not try again.

October 5, 2011 at 10:28 am |
    • BRC

@Bo,
      It's halfway to the answer. So you agree, if there is a god he would use his own judgement to determine who to punish and who to reward. So, if you believe that, and you are hopeful of what the afterlife will be like, then why does it matter if you follow Christianity or not? If you are a good person (and from what littel you can discern about a person from a message board I haev no reason to assume that you're not), and you know what your hopes and beliefs are, how would not following Christianity limit your chances of realizing those beliefs when you die?

October 5, 2011 at 10:42 am |
    • Richard S Kaiser

@ Bo et al,,, "As a matter of fact it has been said that not 1 in 20 who claim Jesus as their savior will be saved."

As "fact" one says it "has been said"? Sounds like something coming from the rumor mill. Ya think?

October 5, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • Les

The Bible clearly indicates in Revelations that a mere 144,000 will be saved. That's like a drop in the bucket compared with the number of people that have been born, are being born or will be born. The odds are very low that any individual Xtian will be saved. Just sayin'. Ya' know?

October 7, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  9. Freethinksman

Pagans... Christians...Muslims... Jews... ad nauseam...

I really hope that one day all this nonsense will be universally recognized for what it is. I don't expect it in my lifetime, but as we've seen with other gods and goddesses, popularity waxes and wanes. Soon enough science will have answered too many big questions to be ignored and willful ignorance will be marginalized. Hopefully the faithful won't have realized their armageddon for all of us before then.

October 5, 2011 at 10:24 am |
    • Les

Actually a few megalomaniacs achieved what you desire.

Chairman Mao, Maximilien Robespierre and Joseph Stalin come immediately to mind. They ruled over some of the most hateful and repressive "free from religion" governments ever seen. Millions were slaughtered. Let us hope that your flavor of governance never gains the upper hand again.

October 5, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  10. Bo

@ThinkForYourselfPost8:44 Thank you for your reply. I'm not sure why you would say that I would choose a religion of comfort.I like the answer a friend gave to a co-worker when asked what was the hardest thing he ever did. He answered:"Living a Christian life." Some people think living a Christian life is easy, it is not! You ask about 'not buying into the Christian truth'. I will ask: What is Christian truth? Following trditions or the Bible. Do you know how much of the main stream Christianty is 'tradition ' and how much is Bible truth?

October 5, 2011 at 9:37 am |
    • hippypoet

Bo, i would agree with one saying the bible is a moral teacher for man thru life. but i would argue that has much truth to it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:01 am |
    • Al

Living the "Christian life" isn't easy at all, which is why there are so few genuinely well-behaved and nice people out there claiming to be Christians. The irony is that those who pride themselves most as being capital 'C' Christians tend to be the least like Jesus. That's a real shame!

October 5, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Ben

Al: No True Scotsman Fallacy. Do the world a favor and read about it.

October 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  11. A. Wayman

I wonder what they are going to do for Easter?

October 5, 2011 at 8:38 am |
    • hippypoet

easter is a christian holiday you moron! why the hell would a bunch of pagans care about easter? now the true holiday that was once the one that was taken over by easter is nothing more then a rebirth feastival, its the end of winter and the start of spring, kinda like holloween has little to do with candy, it was a harvest feastival – without a fridge most food would spoil so you eat when you have it..plus the booze made last harvest using the extra grain is now perfect for drinking, so in short – harvest feastivals are about getting drunk and eating till you have no food left or its a waste. whatever food lasted for a while was kept untill the last feast of the year – yule and new years...a.k.a. christmas – which was the feastival before the winter and the end of that year. you would burn the biggest tree you could find , you burn it in the center of town, and all people again get drunk and eat everything. in the winter there wasn't much to do so the past time was spent getting a good buzz on. its a proven fact! also you have time to "DO" your wife in the winter hence why if "jesus" was ever born he wasn't born in december but in the summer months, like everyone else – and he wouldn't have been born in a cave or barn because in the summer the men were away working and left the women home, so there would have been no traveling. ITS ALL BS converted religious holidays of taken over cultures then transformed into christian days of whorship!

October 5, 2011 at 9:06 am |
    • Wiccan priestess

Nothing on Easter exactly, but many Pagans celebrate the holiday of Ostara, which is similar in some ways and occurs at a similar time. It celebrates Spring and the fertility of the land (of which those eggs and rabbits have great correlation.)

October 5, 2011 at 9:10 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

Bunnies, painted eggs etc. are the last vestiges of the pagan celebrations against which Christianiry competed in its early days.
      Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a consort, Attis, who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. Attis was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during a three day period at the end of March.
      Sound familiar?
      Well before Easter was associated with the zombification of your deity, it was a widely celebrated pagan holiday marking the rebirth and renewal of spring. The very word "Easter" comes from the Saxon goddess Eastre and the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility, Eastra.

October 5, 2011 at 9:57 am |
  12. Bo

@TruthPrevalspost4:40a Thanks for asking. First of all I want to say that as a teen I struggled with evolution and creation. As always it comes down to the basic question: How did it all begain? The fundamental question is: How does something come from nothing? The answer is always the same, "We don't know." I wasn't rasied by Church going parents; they let us choose to believe as we wished. I learend more about mythology for entertainment (which I've forgoten) than Christianity before I chose Christianty. The best reason I can give for choosing Christianty is that it has far more to offer than atheisim–like atheisim has nothing to offer, Christianty does offer a life in the hereafter in a glorious earth made new. However, I do not hold to the beliefs of main stream Christianty. Since there isn't enough space to list them here I try to take them point by point. There may be arguments against the Bible, but why throw away etenal life because everthing is not perfectly understood. To me, that is foolish.

October 5, 2011 at 8:28 am |
    • ThinkForYourself

Bo, I'm quite curious. I would think that typically when someone really examines their beliefs and gives serious consideration to belief systems that differ from the tradition that they were raised in that the ultimate conclusion usually doesn't boil down to choosing the religion that offered the most. You make it seem as if you don't necessarily buy into the truth of christianity, but that you like the comfort and message that it provides. It sounds more like you were shopping for car insurance than a religion. I'm guessing its far more nuanced than that – but that's how it sounded to me.

I'm also curious to know if you considered any religions besides christianity because most major religions give some sort of hope to a life beyond this one.

October 5, 2011 at 8:44 am |
    • BRC

@Bo,
      Why would not following Christianity throw away one's chances at eternal life? It's important to remember that the Bible was written by men, no matter what inspiration they claim it was written by human beings. It would be generous to call it an estimation, but in reality it is just a guess. And if it is one that appeals to you, and the values of the belief system appeal to you, then so be it, follow away. BUT, if that style of "heaven and hell" afterlife really did exist, do you really think whether or not someone says they're a Christian is the determining factor of where they're going to end up? I don't believe in any of it, and I know many people who don’t, but they are all good people, or I wouldn't be close to them; they all live at or above the standards set forth in the Bible, but they don't believe in the divinity of Jesus, or in pretty much anything the Bible says. If we all lead good lives, and when we die we all find out that heaven and hell really do exist, do you actually think a just and loving god would condemn people for using the mind and free will he gave them, and not believing in something that they couldn't see any evidence to support? I don't, and I find that most reasonable don’t. What should matter is how you lived, not who you praised.

That being said, if we are COMPLETELY wrong, most of us are comfortable with the idea that we will be considered against "God" for not praising him or thanking Jesus, because that is not a just standard to hold people to. Hell may be a substantial threat, but it's still just a threat, and I will not bend to something that is absurd or unjust because of it.

October 5, 2011 at 9:11 am |
    • fred

@BRC
      I am certain you are aware of how many times you have had the Gospel preached to you on this web site alone. If there is a god and Jesus was the Messiah you will stand without explanation before your creator, the one who has been poking you for some time now. I think you also picked up on the thread throughout the Bible that says God will use the things of the foolish to confound the wise. Well, you do find much of what Christians spout as foolish. That however is not the worse offense it would be in what you said in your reply to Bo: "I WILL NOT BEND TO SOMETHING OBSURD"
      As you go through the Bible, pride puts blinders on ones’ eyes. Worse yet throughout the Bible we see this is what the core issue is with the "stiff necked Jews" . Pride really gets God (if there is one) ticked off. Why so much focus on pride?
      Pride was the cause behind the fall of the greatest and most beautiful angel in heaven who decided to be like God. Lucifer was cast out and down to earth.
      Pride was the cause man first rejected God . Go back to the garden (a perfect place with unity in God). The one thing God did not allow man to have was the knowledge of good and evil. The temptation was you will be like God. Man was cast out of the perfect garden to this place ever since.
      Pride was the cause of unbelief for the Pharisees seeing Jesus as Lord. When they demanded a sign Jesus said none will be given you but the sign of Jonah who was 3 days in the belly of a fish.
      Pride was the cause the Jewish religious leaders (the cream of the chosen ones) rejected Christ. Note carefully the full expression of their pride. They hated Him, they mocked Him, placed crown of thorns, purple robe, spit on Him. Chose Barabbas a murder be set free and Jesus nailed to the cross, beaten and scourged. As they proudly paraded by “come down from that cross if you are the Christ, where is your God, look he cannot even save himself”. Do these words or actions sound familiar to what you have typed on this site? What was Jesus response “Father forgive them for they know not what they do”. Observe the contrast between man and God when you evaluate if simply being good is enough.

As to your last point God does not condemn all too he-ll that do not believe only Satin and his like. Some were blotted out (i.e. never existed in the first place) while others are simply given exactly what their hearts and actions demanded during this trial / journey of life. If there is a God I have every confidence he knows better than I do how to restore man into that perfect place man continues to reject. God looks at the real heart of man which we ourselves often refuse to see. Our place for eternity is the disposition of our heart. The Bible leaves no stone unturned . Look at Luke 23:35-43 and notice the stark difference between the criminals on both sides of Jesus. The one simply had fear of the Lord, acknowledged his sin and asked Jesus to remember him. That’s all nothing complicated and he goes to paradise. The other (just like the rest of the world) will get something else.

October 5, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
    • John Richardson

@fred And pride is the sin that salvationist Christians wallow in the most. What else but pride is it when you suggest that others who disdain the bible after a close reading are reading with blinders on? Who are you to even suggest such a thing?

October 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm |
    • AtheistSteve

@Bo

First in your reply to Truth you say how you couldn't reconcile how creation (ie. something from nothing) and evolution fail to provide answers to "How it all began". I doubt you could find even one believer who would claim their single most compelling reason for holding their belief in God is based on these puzzles. No, instead these arguments are held up as "Ah ha...see? You don't know how this came to be..So my belief that God was responsible is more likely." Forget that neither Big Bang nor Evolution describe the "origin" of their respective fields, just their progression from early states to later ones. Could a deity have been responsible for the origin of the Universe or Life from inanimate matter? Possibly. Should we believe that? Not without further evidence to support it. Consider that a simple H2O molecule can combine in more distinct ways than there are particles in the universe to make crystals such that no 2 snowflakes are exactly alike. Is it really so hard to believe that more complex hydrocarbons might spontaneously form amino acids, peptides, proteins, or simple cells? If you accept that only God is capable of forming the first self-replicating cells what then will that do to your belief if we discover the mechanisms that caused life to emerge from non-life? If man can replicate in the lab the very thing that occurred in the primordial soup and create life will you then abolish your supersti.tion? Doubtful. As for the universe its beginning represents a cusp of information beyond which we may never know. We are both ignorant of preceding events but which of us presents a more reasonable argument? Me with an unknown natural event or you with an unknown supernatural event? In every case where we faced an unknown the modus operandi was "God did it" and the search for true answers ended there...or worse was forbidden. Brave people throughout history who dared to challenge the accepted beliefs of their time are the ones responsible for real advancement in knowledge. Question everything and accept nothing on faith or be left behind.

October 5, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • fred

John Richardson
      You are correct. The sin of pride is a problem with man since the beginning of time and I am no exception. This is why I need Jesus and what He has to offer. I need a savior because I need saving constantly. No more guilt either as Jesus says” it is finished”, the work on the cross was a complete work. This place called the Kingdom of Heaven has no place for me, I would pollute the perfection of it. Recall, the Garden of Eden created for man was the perfect place only God could create in his perfect Holy nature. Heaven is no different. This entire Bible is but a story of God redeeming His people to that perfect place.
      God says I knew you before I knit your bones together in the womb. I understand that from Gods eternal view he sees the whole of our existence from beginning to end all at once. We see this time line in our world and head down that track and see nothing else. God says take a look from His perspective, get those time line blinders off. When we do that there is no empirical data only faith. I would never have bought into this Bible stuff were it not for the complete of loss of everything I had. Sometimes I wonder what if a Quran was the book left broken open in my car. A voice quickly comes in and says stick with the facts it was the Bible that was broken open to just the right place. Stick with the facts the light of Christ shattered the darkness in your life through His word. Stick with the facts John referred to Christ as the word: in the beginning was the word and the word came and dwelt among us…………………….

October 5, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Huh

I couldn't resist changing the names to show how delusional some people are.

You are correct. The sin of pride is a problem with man since the beginning of time and I am no exception. This is why I need Fat Albert and what He has to offer. I need a savior because I need saving constantly. No more guilt either as Fat Albert says” it is finished”, the work on the cross was a complete work. This place called the Kingdom of Heaven has no place for me, I would pollute the perfection of it. Recall, the Garden of Eden created for man was the perfect place only Elivis could create in his perfect Holy nature. Heaven is no different. This entire Bible is but a story of Elivis redeeming His people to that perfect place.

Elivis says I knew you before I knit your bones together in the womb. I understand that from Eliviss eternal view he sees the whole of our existence from beginning to end all at once. We see this time line in our world and head down that track and see nothing else. Elivis says take a look from His perspective, get those time line blinders off. When we do that there is no empirical data only faith. I would never have bought into this Bible stuff were it not for the complete of loss of everything I had. Sometimes I wonder what if a Quran was the book left broken open in my car. A voice quickly comes in and says stick with the facts it was the Bible that was broken open to just the right place. Stick with the facts the light of Fat Albert shattered the darkness in your life through His word. Stick with the facts John referred to Fat Albert as the word: in the beginning was the word and the word came and dwelt among us…………………….

October 5, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
    • News Flash

Freddy boy, you are one of THE most arrogant SOB's I have read on here. "god does this", "god sees that". You know a hell of a lot about the lord of the universe, whom you have never seen.

October 5, 2011 at 9:36 pm |
    • Les

@Bo

Now that quantum physics has has answered your question and has clearly shown us that something CAN come from nothing, what is it that keeps you in the grip of a hateful religion like Xtiamity? You did mention eternalk life BUT until the council of Nicene, reincarnation (which the mass of world populations still believe) was accepted church doctrine. DO you correctly interpret Jesus' pronouncement that he died "so we shall be born again" is reincarnation? If not, I am looking forward to your reply.

October 5, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Answer

It's always nice to see the evangelists proclaim that they intimately know everything about their own god. Of course they will also immediately give you the other offhand comment / line on how "God is so mysterious, we can never know HIS [whatever]"

Just goes to show how much backflipping these zealots will go through to follow their imaginary god.

October 5, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • BRC

@fred,
      I'm affraid that conversation is long dead, but I have to respond in a case like this. I said absurd, not obsurd, if you're going to take my lines out of context at least get the spelling right. BUT, I will stand behind and clarify my statement. There are passages and interpretations in Christianity, the Bible (and in a very few other religions) that claim no matter how good you are or what kind of life you lead, i fyou do not actively praise "God" and Jesus (or the respective god of the other religions), you will recieve eternal punishment- bottom line, end of story, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars. I find that concept absurd, that the quality of a person means nothing is a ridiculous suposition. No loving intelligent god would impose such an edict.

What's more, even if that was true, if "God" appeared before me and said, "I am real, I created the heavens and the Earth, I crafted all that you see and know, I spake unto Abraham, and Moses, and sent forth my son Jesus to lead you all back to my will; and the words of the Bible are a true expression of my will. You shall accept my Son as savior, or you shall be seperate from me, regardless of any good deeds your life may hold"- I STILL wouldn't praise them, because it is an unjust concept, and a tyrannical law. In that case you're right, I would be punished for "pride", but I would be proud because I was right.

October 6, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • fred

BRC
      After reading the New Testament is that the picture you get of God? Jesus came to serve, to give, to be our savior. He is the good shepherd and all that entails. Your image is contrary to that portrayed. Start with the cross and note what man (including religious) does to Christ and His response( forgiveness). It is a simple picture so we can all get it. Keep in mind we are talking about God. This is the best possible image God could give us so that we can grasp somewhat of an image of God. Consider if there is a God that ent-ity is not something we could wrap our current heads around. God does not look like Jesus or even the same form (we cannot look upon God). God is not going to say worship Jesus or go to L. Your spirit/soul/conscious self will instantly fall before the awe (on your knees is but an expression)of God. There will be no discussion of it just wham.
      I really do not know anymore than you do about the actual form or forms of God or us. Jesus said the only way we get to the kingdom is in Him. I have my idea of what that means given nothing that is not of Christ likeness will enter the Gates. Recall all the cleansing stuff in the Bible written so we could understand it in context 3,400 years ago and today. All that is not good in the “eyes” of God will not make it in the kingdom because it is not Christ like.
      Worship of God flows from within it is not something God will force on you. I go back to the heart of the one criminal on cross in Luke 23:40 who had a hard heart in contrast to the one with a good heart. To one Jesus said “today you will be with me in paradise”.

October 6, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
  13. Realist

As Queen Elizabeth I said, "I will not make windows into men's souls." I believe in live and let live.
    This is addressed to everyone
    Does it really hurt you if someone does not believe in the same religion as you do? In the United States that is called Freedom of Religion.
    Also those who talk about their religion as Christians are going against the word of Jesus. Read the Bible for yourself it is in Mathew.
    I say worship, or not, as you like but do not put down the beliefs of others.

October 5, 2011 at 1:30 am |
    • kimsland

Oh you are saying if freedom of religion does not impose on me then not to worry about. And we all should just accept and get along?
      Since the above does not happen anywhere, especially in countries at war where US soldiers must leave their families and get killed in the name of 'others' religious beliefs. Let alone the billions of children that have these (multi different beliefs) forced upon them, and later grow up to cause more grief to others.

I say religious beliefs are extremely wrong. Exactly which one is the one that doesn't cause death and destruction again?
      I do not accept others religious points of view, AND I feel the 'Freedom of Religion' is totally outdated and not acceptable for our day and age.

Lets teach our children to make clear rational choice on fairytale death and fear, or logic and living life to its fullest.
      I have informed my daughter not to marry a religious man, so she can lead a normal life without dragging her kids to the church on Sundays. She AGREES.

October 5, 2011 at 2:06 am |
    • John Richardson

@kimsland The SECULAR ideal of freedom of religion has done a good job of taming the dragons of religious strife and the persecution of the heterodox wherever it's been diligently applied, which so far means most the West. There may or may not one day be true freedom of religion within a broader freedom of speech, thought and conscience in the Middle East. But to suggest that the problems in the Middle East stem from too much FREEDOM of religion is laughable.

October 5, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  14. THE BROWN NOTE

i dont believe in voodoo

pagans are idiots just like christians and muslims

October 4, 2011 at 11:57 pm |
    • kimsland

Like +1

October 5, 2011 at 2:15 am |
    • TruthPrevails

I don't know about idiot. My daughter is 17 and follows the pagan beliefs and she's not an idiot by any means. We raised her in a home where her Dad is pagan and I was a christian, so now she identifies as pagan and I have no problem with it. She knows I am an Atheist. I tend to have less of an issue with where she stands than her fundamentalist christian friend does....this kid told her she was of the devil for being pagan. We did raise her to think for herself and be open-minded, so this bit of exploration on her behalf is a good thing. She doesn't push her belief's on anyone and lives her life to the best that anyone could expect a teenager of her age to do. Although we are wondering where she will stand next semester when she studies world religion. Either way it is her life and as long as she is not trying to change anyone else, all is good.

October 5, 2011 at 4:41 am |
    • kimsland

@TruthPrevails, its not your daughter its her future kids I worry about.
      They will be forced (since under 10yo they DON'T have an opinion and can't stay home alone anyway) to church EVERY single Sunday, and if that's not sad enough, at church they MUST learn that the 'lord' loves them more than anyone, even more than Grandpa (ie future you)
      This is very sad indeed.

October 5, 2011 at 5:01 am |
    • Lizzy

I'm Pagan, have a 4.0 GPA, and have an IQ of 162, which is about ten points above where the bar for "genius" is set. So yeah, I'm definitely an idiot.

October 5, 2011 at 6:24 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@Kimsland: I would have to disagree and normally I don't with you. However, like the way her father and I raised her, she more than likely won't be forcing her own children to do anything that involves indoctrination. She doesn't attend a church of any form now or any form of Sunday service. She goes camping for a week with others of her belief and enjoys the company. She's young and will come to her own conclusions, all I can do is keep pointing her in the right direction and giving her information to show that there is no need for any form of a god.

October 5, 2011 at 6:34 am |
    • lauraA

You aren't required to believe in hoodan. That's just one of the paths. I am pagan myself, and my pantheon is the one with Thor and Odin and the rest. Part of my faith is the belief that prostelitizing is morally wrong, as well as the belief that it is right and just for people to have different religions- just as it is right that people have different directions to get to a party. They all end up in the same place, but they needed a different way of getting there. I also don't understand why you believe that our faith also has Sunday as a weekly holy day or sabbath. We only have 4 (or 8,with the equinoxes and solstices added) holy days in the year, one for each seaseon. Even then, we wouldn't force a child to go to them. Do you actually know any pagans?

October 5, 2011 at 8:55 am |
    • John Richardson

kimsland and The Brown Note think that everyone who disagrees with their take on religion and spirituality are vastly stupider than they are, which frankly would be a bit of a challenge. kimsland is especially big on the idea that every child should be raised as she, ie kimsland, see fit. Both oppose the freedom of religion, which is a point of view 180 degrees removed from the secularist ideal of freedom of thought and conscience that most atheists, agnostics and other non-believers espouse. This just goes to show that for every dictatorial control freak, there is an equal and opposite control freak.

October 5, 2011 at 10:21 am |
    • kimsland

Freedom of Religion?
      OH, I thought we were talking about Freedom of Ridiculous.
      Yes I DO find that ridiculous, and I don't quite understand why others don't.
      I do actually hope that oneday we will have totally freedom of religion, and that religion will just not exist in anyone's mind anymore (except as a fairytale or joke of what people once thought even up to the beginning of the 21st century)

Yes religion is idiotic.

October 5, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
    • John Richardson

@kimsland Hoping for religion to be universally given up even though it is permitted is a perfectly reasonable position. Speaking derisively of freedom of religion isn't. If this is a genuine change, I like it.

October 5, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Les

Are you referring to the religion of Voudan or the 1950s CE Hollywood fiction called "Voodoo"? Voudan is a deeply spiritual religion. Read the facts before making silly judgmental statements that sensationalist press and Hollyweird filmmakers gag us with.

October 5, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

lizzy

i dont care about your beloved iq or your gpa

liberal arts isnt a real degree anyway

anyone that has religious beliefs is flushing whatever capacity of rationality they might have down the toilet

hippies fashion themselves as pagans often

and they often overinflate their self worth

keep thinking youre ten points above the genius far

in reality youre traveling in the pipes underneath a rest stop toilet on the way to a water treatment plant

October 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  15. Reality

From p. 1:

Pagans are just as weird as Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Jews.

To wit:

Mocking spells, curses, covens, black magic, witches, voodooing dolls, hoodooing the results, shadow books, maypoles,
    god(s) and goddess(es). The Horned God is one of the two primary deities found in pagan religions. He is often given various names and epithets, and represents the male part of the religion's duotheistic theological system, the other part being the female Triple Goddess. Then there is Gerald Gardiner !!!

October 4, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
    • myweightinwords

Obviously you only know what Hollywood and popular Wiccan practices teach you.

Not all Pagans are Wiccan. Not all of us believe in duality in our deities. Not all of us serve a horned god or a triune goddess. Not all of us dance a may pole or have books of shadows. The word Pagan covers a plethora of ideas and beliefs.

October 5, 2011 at 10:23 am |
    • John Richardson

Yes, the term 'pagan' has ALWAYS been wildly broad. The ancient pagan religions of the various branches of the Indo-European world, eg the Celtic, Germanic, Italic, Greek, Persian, Indic, Slavic, etc peoples, were already quite diverse and then there is the whole rest of the world. Some would include animism within paganism and that's a whole news bunch of diverse spiritual beliefs. The modern day neo-pagan movements (note plural) differ from each other and from the ancient belief systems they are reviving, but in revised form. It's almost as ridiculous to try to generalize over pagan beliefs as it would to try to generalize over "gentile beliefs".

October 5, 2011 at 1:28 pm |
    • .........

hit report abuse to reality repeat post

October 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  16. Bo

Hippy: You are sounding more and more like Nero. And you know what happened to him!

October 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

nero died

just like every living thing on the planet will eventually die

and then the sun will expand in a few billion years and boil all of the liquid off of the earth

and the earth will more than likely be vaporized

and the sun will become a neutron star

October 5, 2011 at 12:17 am |
    • Samsword

@Brown note... Well we can hope that our descendants have figured out how to get out by then (If they're still around). =)

October 5, 2011 at 1:10 am |
    • AtheistSteve

THE BROWN NOTE

Close but not quite. Our sun isn't massive enough to end up as a neutron star. It will enter a red giant phase, shed most of its outer layers and collapse into a white dwarf. Only a star of 2 or 3 solar masses or more will retain enough matter following red giant stage to degenerate into neutronium. 10 solar masses or more results in a black hole.

October 5, 2011 at 8:07 am |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

sam theyll never escape if they keep believing god will save them

steve i stand corrected

i always get those mixed up

October 5, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Bo

Herbie, go look up these Bible texts. Then answer this question:What will happen to the wicket in hellfire? Rev 21:8-9; Rom 6:23; Job 21:30; Ps 9; 37;20; 62:3; 145:20; Malachi 4:i Then look up Rev 20:9 And answere the question: When and how will the hellfire be started? Then: How hot is this fire? 2Peter 3:10; How long is this fire going to burn? Isaiah 47:14 Does God want the wickid to die? Ezekiel 33:11; Luke 9:56 Herbie God is a God of love.

October 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

you spelled wicked wrong genius

hey

if you know your bible so well

then why do you actually believe in it

when it says jesus lied about his return

and its full of contradictions and lies

brain damage

or downs

either way you need to keep it in the basement

October 5, 2011 at 12:00 am |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

answer doesnt have an e on the end

how do you spell wicked wrong two different ways in the same post

no wonder youre a christian

October 5, 2011 at 12:14 am |
    • TruthPrevails

@Bo: please tell me which god you think is the right one? When you look at the fact that this article is about pagan belief and then we throw in the christian god; it has to make you stop and think about who has it right, if anyone does at all. It was a good part of the reason I fell away from christian beliefs...there are too many gods out there to make it feasible for one to be the controller of all...no sense in believing in a god when no-one can get it right, so we choose to live with what makes the most sense-reason, logic and science (vast evidence that shows there is no need for any form of god).

October 5, 2011 at 4:49 am |
    • Draz

@THE BROWN NOTE

Seriously? You're going to point to a couple of typos as an indication of "Christian ignorance," when you, yourself, are incapable of forming a complete sentence, with capital letters and punctuation?

October 6, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  18. hippypoet , the prophet

say onto the lord god the SUN, we the people ask you why thoust shine and whom thoust shine for? ALMIGHTY SUN THEN SPOKE – WHY DO HUMANS ASK SUCH QUESTIONS WHY I SHINE FOR THE REASON OF MY FIRE BURNS, THE HEAT IS GIVEN TO USE...TRANSFERR THE ENERGY INTO ALL THINGS, I THE GOD SUN, THE ALMIGHTY SUN, ALL POWERFUL AND GIVING GOD TELL ALL INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO USE MY ENERGY TO GO FORTH AND SHINE IN EACH YOUR OWN WAY, FOR ALL I FIND ARE BEAUTIFUL. PRAISE BE ONTO THE GREAT LORD GOD THE SUN ,THE ALMIGHTY SUN , ALL POWERFUL AND GIVING SUN!!

October 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • ALMIGHTY SUN

Therefore also I say unto you, just wait until I become a red giant, and burn you all to a crisp, and then when my nuclear fuel is used up, I shall become a dead ball, (a white dwarf).

October 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • AGuest9

But not before swallowing the Earth.

October 5, 2011 at 8:07 am |
  19. hippypoet , the prophet

October 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  20. Haley W

I'm a christian or at least associate myself with the Methodist denomination of Christianity and I think this is neat! 🙂 I'm so tired of religious intolerance; it kills me. Everyone should just be left alone to go about their business and live their lives! ❤ Have a great day.

October 4, 2011 at 9:06 pm |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

keep your beliefs in your basement where they belong

ill be tolerant if churches go away and people keep religion out of public view

hows that

no deal i bet because you cant keep quiet about your sky fairy that dont exist

so no tolerance for your kind

bye

October 4, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Moose

Blessings to you, Haley!

October 5, 2011 at 12:11 am |
    • THE BROWN NOTE

keep your blessings in your basement

your god should have no trouble hearing your wasted prayers down there

because there isnt one

October 5, 2011 at 12:15 am |
    • AGuest9

Haley, it's a nice idea until SOME of those well-meaning religious people start pushing their religion upon others "as science". Then, we are forced into fighting school boards or moving our children so that they can be taught science instead of religious mumbo-jumbo disguised as science. "Live and let live" is a two-way street, but in general, I agree with you.

October 5, 2011 at 8:11 am |
    • Moose

@THE BROWN NOTE

No need for hostilities. Perhaps your cynicism would be better kept in your own basement. You believe that there is no deitiy yet say "keep your beliefs in your basement where they belong." Are you merely a hypocrite?

October 6, 2011 at 10:58 am |
    • Les

@Brown

The Methodist, Presbyterians, and Anglicans do not flaunt their beliefs.

OTOH, the ev(il)angelicans, Baptists and other hateful conservative far right believers DO flaunt their faith. It is to the latter groups toward which your vitriol should more correctly be directed. Just sayin', ya' know?

October 7, 2011 at 6:14 pm |