home
RSS
October 6th, 2011

The Zen of Steve Jobs

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Steve Jobs’ admirers praised him for de-cluttering the world of high-tech gadgetry. The products that made him famous, from the Macintosh computer to the iPad, exemplified minimalist design and simplicity of use, enabling what some called a Zen-like experience.

“Apple products are as defined by what they're missing as much as by what they contain,” wrote tech and pop culture columnist Jeff Yang this year in the San Francisco Chronicle.

The spiritual side of Steve Jobs

Might Jobs’ approach to innovation and design have been provoked by real-life Zen, as in Zen Buddhism?

The Apple chief, who died Wednesday at 56, had a decades-long relationship with a Zen master, who presided over his wedding and whom Jobs reportedly appointed as a corporate spiritual adviser. Their ties have fed speculation about such a connection.

Early on in life, Jobs took a spiritual retreat to India that helped lead him to embrace Buddhism. But the teacher with whom Jobs bonded with in the United States was a Zen Buddhist, a tradition rooted in Japan.

According to Yang and to other press reports, Jobs studied at the Los Altos Zen Center in the 1970s and developed a close relationship with a Japanse-born Zen master, or roshi, named Kobun Chino Otogawa.

Kobun focused his teaching on developing a Zen meditation practice.

“The real purpose of practice is to discover the wisdom which you have always been keeping with you,” Kobun said in a talk that’s posted on the website for the Jikoji Retreat Center, a Zen center he founded outside San Francisco.

“To discover yourself is to discover wisdom; without discovering yourself you can never communicate with anybody,” said Kobun, who died in 2002, in the same talk.

Jobs seemed to echo that spiritual self-reliance in public comments, including his oft-quoted 2005 commencement address at Stanford University:

For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself, "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "no" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

According to Yang, Jobs appointed Kobun as the official “spiritual adviser” for the company he founded after being fired as Apple CEO in 1986. Called NeXT, that company was eventually purchased by Apple, paving the way for Jobs' second act there.

In the 2001 book "The Second Coming of Steve Jobs," Alan Deutschman describes Kobun as:

a Zen Buddhist monk who had been Steve’s guru and friend since Steve was in his late teens. (Kobun) was a lovable, poetic, romantic personality who was known for speaking very slowly (even in his native Japanese) and giving unintelligible lectures... He was a renegade who rebelled against the strict discipline and burdensome responsibility of being a priest. He was the Steve Jobs of Zen.

Kobun presided over Jobs’ 1991 marriage to Laurene Powell.

The relationship between Jobs and Kobun is the subject of a graphic novel, soon to be published by Forbes. The book, which is fiction but is inspired by the real-life relationship, is titled “The Zen of Steve Jobs.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Buddhism • Spirituality • Technology

1. Hmm'd

So when someone thinks something dumb... they automatically get poo'd on??

October 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
    • hippypoet

thats just a show of how evoled one is... see apes throw sh!t at things when they get upset, so lower humans do the same thing but in there own way. i call the lower class humans christians, well i generalize sometimes and just say religious morons!

October 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean

@hippy – With derogitory uses like that, you sir, prove yourself to be less evolved and ignorant. I'll let you continue to bash however because you are probably bringing more people to Christianity when they see your hatred. Cheers 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

@HIPPYTARD

GET AT ME BRO. TELL ME WHAT CITY YOU LIVE IN AND I WILL BUY A FLIGHT OUT THERE THIS WEEKEND (I GOTS $) AND WHIP YOUR A.SS SON. I WILL HAVE YOUR CRYING FOR YOUR MOTHER. GET AT ME BROOOOOOOOO.

October 6, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

@JIMMY

I'LL POO RIGHT ON YOU. GET AT ME BROOOOO.

October 6, 2011 at 5:06 pm |
  2. Hmm'd

Music was always free when i was a kid... you just hit record on your boombox and gave the mixtape to your girlfriend... how is that not copyright infringement??? NAPSTer was CRUSHED by the music industry and Jobs helped...

October 6, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
    • News Flash

Music was NEVER free. YOU may have gotten it free, and Napster may have ripped it off, but SOMEONE was paying for it, and someone was WORKING at it, to make it real. Grow up. You're not really THAT dumb.

October 6, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  3. True Educator

Steve was a great visionary, he did it all for the salary of $1, it is sad to see other abusive, greedy CEOs of charities and non for profit organizations that suck our hard earned tax money to support their lavish life.

Gene R. Carter, the Executive Director and CEO of ASCD (Formerly the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development) annual compensation is set between $700,000 and $800,000 (double the salary of the USA President, and the sum of the dues of 17,346 basic Members of ASCD), and of course this doesn't include the hidden benefits that allow him AND the ASCD Board of Directors to spend most of their meetings and leisure time touring the world most exotic places, Singapore, India, Argentina to name a few.
    To verify this information and to download the ASCD IRS 990 Forms, please access Guidestar.org:

October 6, 2011 at 4:35 pm |
    • John Richardson

That's totally misleading. Jobs didn't make a large salary, but he got hugely wealthy on Apple stock. Non-profits by definition don't issue stock. So if a CEO of a non-profit grows it from the analogue of a garage shop into a huge operation with millions and millions to spend helping people, the ONLY way to compensate the person for their success is through large salaries. And while some have become lower end millionaires running non-profits, no one has become anything like a billionaire.

All that said, there ARE a lot of overpaid empty suits leeching off the non-profit sector. Just well connected parasites who are doing little for the organization or the cause it supposedly serves. But they aren't ALL that way.

October 7, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  4. William Demuth

It seems someone is having a bit of a meltdown!

It seems this blog can take a heavy toll!

October 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm |
  5. Sue = Poo

SUE IS A SCARED LITTLE BlTCH WHO WON'T COME GET IT. GET AT ME BROOOOOOOOOO. GET AT MEEEEEEEE

October 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  6. Sue = Poo

GET AT ME BROOOOOOOOOOO!!! GET AT MEEEEEEEEE

October 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  7. THE ALMIGHTY SUN

HELLO, I AM THE SUN, YOU OWE ME YOUR LIFE.... AS WELL AS EVERT OTHER LIFE FORM ON PLANET EARTH, FOR WITHOUT ME YOUR SAD EXISTENCE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN!

October 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • News Flash

Hey there AS. Are you like the Borg ? A collective, whose members burn out as the hydrogen, (individual atoms), get changed into helium ? There is no "unitary" ting, (the sun), only a ball of gas. Are you a big ball of GAS ? Phffft.

October 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  8. AGuest9

I was wondering why there are two articles on Steve Jobs on the Belief Blog, then it hit me. Mac vs. PC – it REALLY IS a religious war. LOL!

October 6, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  9. jobscloud

October 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • William Demuth

Hell yes for the LSD.

Then he can decide for himself

October 6, 2011 at 4:15 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

jobscloud wrote on Thursday, October 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm, stating, "Steve Jobs apparently attributes some of his success to his use of LSD. If you are an admirer of Steve Jobs would you adopt the same lifestyle he had ? Would you recommend your kids to follow in his path, e.g. dropping out of college, becoming a buddhist, and taking LSD ?"

Sometimes upon the road less traveled, one may find the means and ways to benefit the social ambiance. My taking LSD in my youth has been a hindrance due my loving it too much. I discarded my future perceptions and was lain in wasted momentums I would not wish upon anyone. It seems to me that spiritualism takes many forms in Life's rivers of intelligence. Looking back upon one's life happens more and more as one progresses in life. The shoulda coulda woulda moments sometimes obscure one from actually benefitting what one has left in their Life. My being 56 as was Jobs when he died, makes me wonder. I am a heavy smoker since I was 13. Although I started out at a pack a day, I am now smoking 2 1/2 to 3 packs a day. I can honestly tell you who do not smoke to never even attempt it! It is such a damning habit and I as yet cannot break its' hold on me! If LSD would have been easy for me to come by, I would most likely have fried my brain via using it too much. Jobs to me, is a remarkable individual who saw the future with much clarity and in his wisdom ways did make something of his talented' minding. I applaud Jobs in his Life ongoings. May he in passing ever be remembered and may GOD give him a heaven from which he can build things to his heart;s desire!

October 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean

@Kaiser:

Dude you smoke 2.5-3 packs a day? Holy cow man, I thought I was bad with smoking a few cigs every night.

October 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

@ Jimmy Dean,,,, et al,,,,

Yes Jim, I do smoke that much. I did though on Sept. 5th, 2,009 quit drinking alcohol and on April 28th, 2,011 quit the reefer habit. The only thing left is smoking these filtered cigars that look like cigarettes. 🙁

October 6, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
    • Peace2All

@Richard S. Kaiser

Congratulations on your quitting, apparently, some addi-ctions that you wanted to quit...?

Wishing you continued success !

Regards,

Peace...

October 6, 2011 at 5:11 pm |
    • Richard S Kaiser

@ Peace2All,

🙂

October 6, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean

@Richard – Congratulations on quitting the things you have. May God give you strength to continue towards a path of no substance abuse. We all have issues that we struggle with and I wish you nothing but success. God bless 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 5:23 pm |
  10. AGuest9

I wonder if Woz (the brains of the operation) will get this kind of send-off? Nah, the salesmen always get the attention while the engineers are forgotten. Look at Apollo 13.

October 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • tallulah13

I think that America has tragically forgotten the entire Moon Shot. I admire those engineers just as much as the astronauts. Gene Kranz is a particular hero of mine (I know, Mission Control, not engineer, but still he's too cool). It disappoints me that the America that lifted man to the moon is now the America that is well on it's way to becoming an ignorant, third world country.

October 6, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
  11. William Demuth

Whatever anyone might say I believe America and indeed the world could use a lot more like him.

October 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

NOBODY ASKED YOU SHlTHEAD 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
    • William Demuth

Sue

No one ever does, but we post anyhow! 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
  12. Sue = Poo

My name says it all. Come get it sue, you're actually less than poo you monkey.

October 6, 2011 at 4:02 pm |
    • Chuckles

Fat, dumb and stupid is no way to go through life son.

October 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • Chuckles

Bring what exactly?

October 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

CHUCKLES LIVES IN DC.............KEEP IT COMING, DONT BE SCARED NOW, GET AT ME BROOOOOOOO

October 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
    • Chuckles

Ok, well I have to hand it to you, I think I can speak for just about everyone here when I say Thank you for finally being something Christians, Atheists and everyone else can agree to hating. Keep up the good work!

October 6, 2011 at 4:22 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

Chuckles: Excuse me sir but I don't understand your comment. It doesn't make sense, can you please explain further?

GET AT ME SHlTHEAD, GET AT MEEEEEEEEEEE

October 6, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • Chuckles

Happy to clairfy.

You are the worst sort of person that frequents these boards and I think both christians and atheists alike that usually do battle hate you. We can't agree on a lot, but we can agree on that. Now please do me a favor, what exactly are you asking me or Sue to do exactly? How am I supposed to, as you put it, "GET AT YOUUUUUUUUU", would you like me to start calling you a "shi.thead" or an "as.smunch" and begin a name calling contest? Would you like to discuss the finer points of religious dogma? Steve Jobs? What exactly are you looking to get out of this encounter with Sue?

October 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

@CHUCKIE POO

GET AT ME BRO. YOUR SCARED WHICH IS Y U DODGED THE QUESTION. SCARED LITTLE MONKEY FACE NlG.

October 6, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Poo = Sue

Suzie, I LOVE you ! 🙁

October 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  13. jen

Dad- I highly recommend reading; The Zen of Steve Jobs.....made me think!

October 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  14. Bill La

Steve Jobs is probably the most well-know buddhist in the world, next to the Dalai Lama. His philosophy permeates his designs, to the benefit of us all.

October 6, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  15. Stan

I sure have to agree with this article. Most people are not computer experts nor do they want to have to become one in order to kept a computer functional. I use to get headaches trying to maintain the Windows-based PC's I owned. They are fine as long as you don't go onto the Internet much. I finally decided to buy an Apple for Internet browsing and it works like a charm.

October 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • AGuest9

... and some of us are.

October 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  16. Marie

Me and my whole family and the country of Norway, mourn for the loss of the iconic Legend, Steve Jobs, who touched our lives and the lives of millions around the world through the innovative products he shared for all of us that continuously bring smile to our faces everytime we look at our iphone , ipad, imac, macbook, and so on. We own almost all the products that apple and Steve Jobs made, and we ought a lot to him! May he continue to live in hearts and continue to inspire us! We love Steve Jobs! You're truly the epitome of a real entrepreneur!

October 6, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
    • Am-Nabay

What an excellent way of explaining Steve’s impact. His legacy will live on as his ideas continue to resonate in today’s world of innovations. May his soul rest in perfect peace!

October 6, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  17. Howard

I am truly amazed, awed, and bummed out by all the bozos we've never heard of (and probably never will) posting their put-downs of Steve Jobs.

P.S. I've only owned one Apple product (iPhone4) and I am not too fond of it, either. But I can still give Jobs his due.

October 6, 2011 at 3:23 pm |
  18. KV

I admire Steve Jobs for his accomplishments but remember he is just a man,a mortal, not to be idolized. Thank you Mr. Jobs for your contributions to our world. HIs impact was great, however his life was brief on this earth. I think we all have to ask ourselves what comes next? Because eternity IS forever!

October 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Howard

Don't be too sure about that. Not even the Universe is believed to be eternal anymore. It's the nothing but the ultimate expression of human egocentrism and arrogance to believe our personalities outlive this Earth.

October 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
  19. Sue

Clearly Steve Jobs is greater and more popular than Christian god and Jesus. He even lives on in not just one offspring, but in many millions of computing appliances, and even when we abuse those offspring, most of them don't die from it.

And he has a far better and more widespread internet presence than god too. Many of them, in fact. Admittedly, they are not fully generated by him, but he has had more input into them than god has had into the sickeningly cheesy bible thumper websites.

Also, unlike god of the Christian tales, he has admitted to his illegitmate child (Lisa) and has acknowledged publicly what he accepted as his mistakes.

Steve Jobs >> god. Even now that Steve is dead. At least we have evidence that he existed, and that evidence is a great legacy.

RIP Steve Jobs

October 6, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • KV

Sue my heart breaks for you. How could you equate a human to the likes of God? The miracle of life itself points to a magnificant God.

October 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm |
    • Sue

KV, in return, I think you are stupid for believing in a sky fairy that obviously doesn't exist. Therefore, Jobs >>god since your god is nothing.

Grow some courage, face the evidence, and get over your sick, misogynistic religious delusion. The world will be better for that.

October 6, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
    • Jeff

Easy, there, Sue. One can be an atheist, but none of us should cast our eyes down on those who choose to "believe." To do so only sheds the ugly light of intolerance that is more often cast on those of "faith" who feel they are somehow superior over those of different faiths...or lack thereof.

I find it ironic, though, that your post harks back to when John Lennon said the Beatles were more popular than Jesus. If it goes viral, I wonder if folks of faith will start burning their Macs, iPods, and iPhones?? 🙂

October 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
    • KV

Sue, what a sad, depressing thought if you think after you die this is it. I have experienced God in my own life through situations and life experiences. You cannot argue with what I have experienced. Once you experience the one true living God, your life is never the same. It makes this life a joy filled experience. It is an exceptional way to live. And not only does this life rock, the next the bible promises is even better.! God is really good and true. Open your mind to it, I promise you won't be disappointed. Peace.

October 6, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
    • Jacob

Sue, you resort to insults to try and win your argument? Really?! I'm sorry but I thought it was not only common courtesy, but common knowledge that a person proves a point with facts, not calling someone "stupid". Not only that but, calling God a "sky fairy" is nothing but complete ignorance. Once people stop being ignorant and start becoming educated in what they are talking about, then "the world will be better for that".

October 6, 2011 at 4:05 pm |
    • Reality

Sue,

Great comments!!!

Add to those the following:

What else do we know: (from the fields of astrophysics, nuclear physics and the history of religion)

1. The Sun will burn out in 3-5 billion years so we have a time frame.

2. Asteroids continue to circle us in the nearby asteroid belt.

3. One wayward rock and it is all over in a blast of permanent winter.

4. There are enough nuclear weapons to do the same job.

5. Most contemporary NT exegetes do not believe in the Second Coming so apparently there is no concern about JC coming back on an asteroid or cloud of raptors/rapture.

6. All stars will eventually extinguish as there is a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the universe. When this happens (100 billion years?), the universe will go dark. If it does not collapse and recycle, the universe will end.

7. We all will die and no iPod, iPad or iPhone will change that but as with S. Jobs we learn from those who came before us.

Bottom line: our apocalypse will start between now and 3-5 billion CE. The universe apocalypse, 100 billion years?

October 6, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Sue

Thanks, Reality. Your posts are great.

October 6, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
    • Sue

No, Jacob, "sky fairy" is a fair term to use, given how absurd the Christian beliefs are. If you think otherwise, present your evidence. Details required.

October 6, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Sue = Poo

SUE U SCARED? COME GET IT, UNLESS YOUR SCARED. GET AT MEEEEE SUE, YOU NOTHING BUT POO. GET AT MEEEEEE.

October 6, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
    • Sue

KV, your comment that I have not considered your religion fairly is condescending, and ignorant. Most atheists likely know more about your religion than you do.

Present your detailed evidence for your claims, not just shadowy references to your so-called experiences, or cease and desist. I think your experiences won't bear investigation.

October 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean

@sue

Haha like you would actually listen to any arguments that didn't support your preconceived notion. You seem to have the reasoning capability of a 5 year old. Carry on now.

October 6, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
    • Jimmy Dean

@sue

Please look up the word condescending in the dictionary. You clearly don't know what it means LMAO. His comment in no way was condescending or belittling (hint; thats a synonym). BTW you reall don't seem too bright (no matter which side you're on), please don't drop out of high school kiddo.

October 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm |
    • fred

@sue
      Thank you for supporting the truth found in the Bible that gives a clear picture of those with a heart inclined towards God and those that prefer darkness.

October 6, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Sue

fred, again, evidence, please. I'm still waiting, and I still suspect that you have none.

October 6, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Sue

OK, little Jimmy Dean, let's test your claim. Want to bet on it?

What would you suggest as a measure of intelligence? Can you put your level of education up against a Ph.D. in science from one of the best known universities.

Scared yet, little stupid one?

October 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm |
    • Jeff

Boy...I'm disappointed with this thread. What I thought had the potential to be a civil discourse surrounding atheism and faith has instead turned into nothing more than a print-version of the absurd WWE. Mr. Jobs would be disappointed.

October 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
    • fred

Sue
      Dr. Sue, are you not amazed when you look out at the wonder of our creation? Are you in awe of anything you see in our existence?

October 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
    • Sue

Fred, that's a tired old steaming pile of generic nonsense, and furthermore, arrogantly presumes a creator. I can of course ask you, why is it that your supposedly perfect creator got so much wrong in our design; you should know by now where this will go.

So, again, evidence please. You haven't presented anything valid yet. No worthless generalizations, and be as specific as you can as to why what you are presenting is proof of a divine, perfect creator such as your apparent religion claims. Note of course that if you succeed, you'll be the first.

October 6, 2011 at 7:47 pm |
    • .........

plz hit report abuse on all reality posts

October 6, 2011 at 7:52 pm |
    • Poo = Sue

freddy,
      The illogical, presumptuous, pre-programmed, knee-jerk response, that wonder, (which OF COURSE we all feel now and again), means that a "personal god did it" is so illogical and only 1 of millions of your options. Have you ever REALLY investigated ANY of the others ?

October 6, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • fred

Poo=Sue
      I really do not see that many options when it comes to God. Almost 2,000 years ago Jesus expressed the fullness of God in word and action then stated just how one can have that life. Down to the smallest detail everything Jesus said materialized and He gave me that new life in the exact manner laid out in His word. I personally witnessed the same life transformation in many others. If that miracle of new life from Jesus had not happened to me personally I would have remained an Atheist. Had I only witnessed others life change yet never personally experienced that life changing force myself I would have become agnostic. So in short the only other options are there is no God or your guess is as good as anyone else.

October 7, 2011 at 1:22 am |
    • Reality

“I believe the Bible is inspired.” “Why?” “Because it says so.” Would your
      anyone let that logic pass if it came from the followers of any other book
      or person? “I believe x is inspired because x says so.” Fill in the blanks:

x=Pat Robertson
      x=the ayatolloah Sistani
      x=David Koresh
      x=the Koran”
      x=fred

more “logic”?
      “I believe there is One God Jehovah because He is revealed in the infallible
      Bible. I believe the Bible is infallible because it is the Word of the One God Jehovah.”

October 7, 2011 at 6:44 am |
    • John Richardson

@KV One certainly CAN argue with you over your INTERPRETATION of your experience. Most people have only a little more insight into themselves and their feelings than the average rock and the quick assumption that certain experiences or sensations MUST signal supernatural intervention is one of the surer ways to remain blind to yourself.

October 7, 2011 at 6:59 am |
    • Sue

fred, "Down to the smallest detail everything Jesus said materialized and He gave me that new life in the exact manner laid out in His word"

No, you can't get away with that nonsense. Again, present any one piece of evidence with details, and explain why that couldn't have possibly happened without your god.

As for "the smallest detail", present any one prediction of Jesus, with the explicit date on which said prediction was said to be going to happen. Yes, an exact date, in the past 25 years if you can so we've got a pretty reliable history to check it against . Without an explicit date, well, enough stuff happens that if we wait long enough, many things will happen and the validity of the prediction is rubbish.

Your case grows more flimsy every time you post. It's getting laughable now that you claim details but can't present them.

October 7, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • fred

Sue,
      Matthew 4:10 "Come follow me and I will make you fishers of men"

October 7, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Yo!

"Matthew 4:10 "Come follow me and I will make you fishers of men"
      Well, it is 2011AD and here I am fishing....................you may call it trolling? Either way I may just catch one today."

Nah, all you're doing is showing how delusional christians like you are because you can't face the realities of today. 😉

October 7, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • fred

Sue,
      Other specific events that happened just as Jesus said:
      Matthew continued:
      5:3”Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."
      Check 2011AD – the kingdom is yours the day you accept Christ so I have had this for a while
      5:4“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."
      Check 2011AD – received comfort at friends funeral
      5:6“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."
      Check 2011AD –Sue, I want the best for you!
      5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."
      Check 2011AD- Sue, may the Lord have mercy on your soul !
      5:11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me."
      Check 2011AD –I was insulted 11 times today on this site alone (3 of them I deserved…ok maybe 9)

Hey, if I don’t hear from you have a great weekend ! – and as Red Skelton used to say –may God Bless

October 7, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
    • fred

Yo
      Got yo ! Now, if I can just real you in..........nice and slow...........Ah, lost em

Yo are just lucky today that's all, it is you day! I will say a prayer for you. Please let me know when it answered as fishing in these waters takes lots of encouragement.
      Have a great weekend !

October 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
    • Sue

Fred, you get an absolute FAIL on your attempt at listing predictions with dates. You scored exactly zero.

Show the predictions with exact days that they are supposed to have happened on. Quote the prediction including the day that it was supposed to happen on, and then reference exactly what happened on that day that correlates with it.

We're still waiting. Stow the pleasantries, and just try sincerely to deliver, for a change. We'll try not to laugh.

October 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
    • Reality

fred,

What version of the NT are you using???

New International Version (©1984)
      Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"
      New Living Translation (©2007)

"Get out of here, Satan," Jesus told him. "For the Scriptures say, 'You must worship the LORD your God and serve only him.'"

English Standard Version (©2001)
      Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’”

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
      Then Jesus said to him, "Go, Satan! For it is written, 'YOU SHALL WORSHIP THE LORD YOUR GOD, AND SERVE HIM ONLY.'"

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
      Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

International Standard Version (©2008)
      Then Jesus said to him, "Go away, Satan! Because it is written, 'You must worship the Lord your God and serve only him.'"

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
      Then Yeshua said to him, “Depart Satan, for it is written: 'You shall worship THE LORD JEHOVAH your God and him alone shall you serve.' “

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
      Jesus said to him, "Go away, Satan! Scripture says, 'Worship the Lord your God and serve only him.'"

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
      Then said Jesus unto him, Begone, Satan: for it is written, You shall worship the Lord your God, and him only shall you serve.

October 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • fred

Sue,
      I think I understand what you are saying. Jesus responded to those demanding a sign that none would be given them except the sign of Jonah. You are correct, I cannot give you a sign except the sign of Jonah either. Shucks !
      Fred, lowers his head and shuffles out of the room quietly.

October 7, 2011 at 5:19 pm |
    • Sue

fred, good on you for acknowledging that you have no evidence for your beliefs, however indirectly.

October 7, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • fred

Sue,
      Sue,
      I would never have believed any of the Bible had it not been for the conversion experience I encountered, the way it came about and the complete transformation in who I was. At one point I began to get even a bit prideful thinking God showed me something in the Bible no one else could figure out. Perhaps that is why I stumbled on this site. A little lesson in humility. Unfortunately, I tend to repeat my mistakes so don’t be surprised if I wake up in the middle of the night with the ultimate proof !

October 7, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • fred

Reality,
      Gads, ya scared me I thought someone was casting demons out of my Post. Did you ever consider being the fact checker for the White House? Anyway, thanks your right I meant Matthew 4:19 not 4:10, interesting though you do need to cast out before you can reel in. Have a great evening !

October 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm |
  20. John

Taking something free and figuring out a way to make us pay... Take something simple, and make it complex – Welcome to the world of iTunes... Thanks alot.

PS – Macs don't crash, they just mysteriously reboot themselves and don't tell you why.

October 6, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Timothy Lee

John, what are you talking about? iTunes made you pay for music?? What the hell does that matter?? You were going to Sam Goody's to buy the cd for double what you would pay on iTunes. Why are you bitter with your life. He brought simplicity, simple as that.

October 6, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • John

Simple is dragging a file onto an MP3 player. Complex is itunes.
      Napster was free. itunes is not – you missed the point.

Apple in general is just a big hashtag fail.

October 6, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • HellBent

Free music on Napster largely violated copyright laws. So, if something is legal, it's a big fail? Apple's stock price would suggest differently. Bitter much?

October 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm |
    • *frank*

People pay for music? LOL!

October 6, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
    • John Richardson

Oh, you mean because you can't steal the fruits of other people's labor the you used to be able to before Napster got taken down by the law, iTunes is evil and you are the victim? What a disgrace.

October 7, 2011 at 7:03 am |