home
RSS
October 9th, 2011

My Take: This evangelical says Mormonism isn’t a cult

Editor’s note: Richard J. Mouw is President of Fuller Theological Seminary, an evangelical school in Pasadena, California.

By Richard J. Mouw, Special to CNN

Some prominent evangelical pastors have been telling their constituents not to support Mitt Romney’s bid for the presidential nomination. Because Romney is Mormon, they say, to cast a vote for him is to promote the cause of a cult.

I beg to differ.

For the past dozen years, I’ve been co-chairing, with Professor Robert Millet of Brigham Young University – the respected Mormon school - a behind-closed-doors dialogue between about a dozen evangelicals and an equal number of our Mormon counterparts.

We have talked for many hours about key theological issues: the authority of the Bible, the person and work of Christ, the Trinity, “continuing revelations” and the career of Joseph Smith, the 19th century founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church), better known as the Mormon Church.

We evangelicals and our Mormon counterparts disagree about some important theological questions. But we have also found that on some matters we are not as far apart as we thought we were.

I know cults. I have studied them and taught about them for a long time. It’s worth noting that people have wondered whether I belong to a cult, with a reporter once asking me: “Evangelicalism, is that like Scientology and Hare Krishna?”

Religious cults are very much us-versus-them. Their adherents are taught to think that they are the only ones who benefit from divine approval. They don’t like to engage in serious, respectful give-and-take dialogue with people with whom they disagree.

Nor do they promote the kind of scholarship that works alongside others in pursuing the truth. Jehovah’s Witnesses, for instance, haven’t established a university. They don’t sponsor a law school or offer graduate-level courses in world religions. The same goes for Christian Science. If you want to call those groups cults I will not argue with you.

But Brigham Young University is a world-class educational institution, with professors who’ve earned doctorates from some of the best universities in the world. Several of the top leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have PhDs from Ivy League schools.

These folks talk admiringly of the evangelical Billy Graham and the Catholic Mother Teresa, and they enjoy reading the evangelical C.S. Lewis and Father Henri Nouwen, a Catholic. That is not the kind of thing you run into in anti-Christian cults.

So are Mormons Christians? For me, that’s a complicated question.

My Mormon friends and I disagree on enough subjects that I am not prepared to say that their theology falls within the scope of historic Christian teaching. But the important thing is that we continue to talk about these things, and with increasing candor and mutual openness to correction.

No one has shown any impulse to walk away from the table of dialogue. We do all of this with the blessing of many leaders from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, some of whom have become good friends.

While I am not prepared to reclassify Mormonism as possessing undeniably Christian theology, I do accept many of my Mormon friends as genuine followers of the Jesus whom I worship as the divine Savior.

I find Mormons to be more Christ-centered than they have been in the past. I recently showed a video to my evangelical Fuller Seminary students of Mormon Elder Jeffrey Holland, one of the Twelve Apostles who help lead the LDS church. The video captures Holland speaking to thousands of Mormons about Christ’s death on the cross.

Several of my students remarked that if they had not known that he was a Mormon leader they would have guessed that he was an evangelical preacher.

The current criticisms of Mitt Romney’s religious affiliation recall for many of us the challenges John Kennedy faced when he was campaigning for the presidency in 1960.

Some well-known Protestant preachers (including Norman Vincent Peale) warned against putting a Catholic in the White House. Kennedy’s famous speech to Houston pastors clarifying his religious beliefs as they related to his political leadership helped his cause quite a bit.

But the real changes in popular attitudes toward Catholicism happened more slowly, as Catholic Church leaders and scholars engaged in a new kind of dialogue with each other and representatives of other faith groups, most dramatically at the Second Vatican Council during the early years of the 1960s.

Cults do not engage in those kinds of self-examining conversations. If they do, they do not remain cults.

Those of us who have made the effort to engage Mormons in friendly and sustained give-and-take conversations have come to see them as good citizens whose life of faith often exhibits qualities that are worthy of the Christian label, even as we continue to engage in friendly arguments with them about crucial theological issues.

Mitt Romney deserves what every politician running for office deserves: a careful examination of his views on policy and his philosophy of government. But he does not deserve to be labeled a cultist.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Richard J. Mouw.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Cults • Mitt Romney • Politics • Rick Perry

soundoff (2,721 Responses)
  1. JDD

With all due respect to Mr. Mouw (and I mean that sincerely), it is silly to think that Mormonism is not Christian but that "all these Mormons I know" are. Mormons are a product of their theology. If individual Mormons are Christian, it is because they belong to a Christian religion. I think it's fine to say that Mormons aren't credal Christians or orthodox Christians (if first-century Christians are also excluded from the Orthodox label). But to say Mormons aren't Christian at all is silly. These are people who have dedicated their whole lives to Christ. They love Him, they consider Him to be divine, and they believe Salvation comes through His atoning sacrifie.

October 10, 2011 at 5:43 am |
    • Bot

and Muslims and Jews do not consider Jesus Christ divine, and Salvaction comes through His atoning sacrifice. Thus the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints must be a (non-Creedal) Christian religion. How hard is that to understand?

October 10, 2011 at 6:31 am |
  2. Mirosal

@ mykids .... your "Relief Society" is nothing more than women doing the cooking cleaning washing sewing birthing and feeding of the men in your "faith" .. wake up will you? You say women are treated well with respect and love. Then please tell us all, why are there NO women of excutive rank in your church? Do you ever think you'll have a woman as president of your church? Or at least on that Council of 12? To them women are nothing but second-class citizens. Why won't they let you "testify" with the men? Why must you be kept seperated? The men testify, and you're off in a back room with quilting and home-ec classes. Just like a cult.. divide and control. And now your Book of Mormon has undergone a re-write. Why get rid of it? Too ashamed of your history?

October 10, 2011 at 5:41 am |
    • Brandon

Your ignorance is evident all through-out your message. You've honestly never attended one meeting of the LDS church.

October 10, 2011 at 5:47 am |
    • Sircuts

Obviously he makes sense anyone who would attend a LDS meeting is surely sadly misled

October 10, 2011 at 5:55 am |
    • myklds

@Mirasol

If you think that you know The Church of Christ of latter Day Saints better than (us) the active members, I would suggests that you should quit pretending.

October 10, 2011 at 5:56 am |
    • Sircuts

funny when I google FLDS why do I get Warren Jeffs?

October 10, 2011 at 5:57 am |
  3. Dan Amosin

Why are some bigots focusing on Romney's religious affiliation or beliefs? He is running for President, not bishop, pope or paramount pastor. His religious affiliation will have nothing to do with his becoming a good or bad president, any more than Nixon's Quaker faith can be blamed for his rogue behavior in the Watergate Scandal. Religious bigotry belongs to the shameful past of our history, not the present time. We condemn the Talibans and other religious extremists for their blind fanaticism. If we insist on a "correct" religious affiliation (read: mainstream Christian, preferably Protestant) as a conditio sine qua non for the US presidency again, then we have become the fanatical monsters we pretend to detest in our democracy.

October 10, 2011 at 5:32 am |

October 10, 2011 at 5:39 am |
    • kimsland

I agree with what you are trying to say.
      Lets have non religious presidents only, since religion doesn't matter.
      Agreed

October 10, 2011 at 5:40 am |
  4. Jim

When a Republican is a Morman, CNN talks about problems with it. With a Democrat like Harry Reed – who is also a Morman – CNN never makes a peep.

Bias? We don't see no stinking bias!!!

October 10, 2011 at 5:31 am |
    • thissalantine

Dude I don't care what party a person belongs to. My issue's with Mormonism, and on any ticket I will go out of my way to vote for the non-cultist. And I don't care if they inhaled either.

October 10, 2011 at 5:33 am |
    • Sircuts

Romney became Governor before this was an issue...And I am sure if Reid ran for president...It would be him in the "cult" headline as well...don't try that spin crap on us...we aren't LDS we have a mind of our own...Reid isn't running for president Romney is.

October 10, 2011 at 5:36 am |
    • Sircuts

If you like bias get yourself a copy of The Book Of Mormon the pre Romney version.(pre 2010)

October 10, 2011 at 5:38 am |
    • Bob R., Maryland

In answer to Jim, Senator Harry Reid is not running for President of the United Sates of America. CNN and everybody else has indeed reported that Senator Reid is a Mormon or LDS member. I see no problem with Christians who keep their faith separate from their politics. I do strongly object to Evangelicals, like the former President Bush and others, who do not respect the separation of powers idea.

October 10, 2011 at 5:49 am |
    • DiscipleofElijah

Harry Reid never tried to "spin" his LDS affiliation as being mainstream Christian. Romney is trying to have the LDS church accepted as being mainstream Christian to appeal to Evangelical Christians.

October 10, 2011 at 5:59 am |
    • Jim

Bob, Cuts: The point I'm making is power of propaganda & suggestion that CNN has. They run multi articles about mormon problems and cults when talking about a Republician, but never about a Democrat. Pointing out that Rom is running for President is spurious in light of CNN lack of coverage on obama's muslim / Rev. wright background.

October 10, 2011 at 6:06 am |
    • Bob R., Maryland

I meant to "say" I do strongly object to Evangelicals, like the former President Bush and others, who do not respect the separation of CHURCH and STATE idea. I also object to those who do not respect SEPARTION OF POWERS, like President Bush and his appointments of Alito and Roberts.

P.S. Go 99 Percenters and may the Occupy Wall Street participants live in peace!

October 10, 2011 at 6:16 am |
    • Bob R., Maryland

Jim

Jim, about your cuts reply: I am 72 and I very clearly and very vividly remember relentless attacks on his Roman Catholic Christianity. And if you object to CNN's coverage, you're gonna love MSNBC's coverage. You are joking about "lack of coverage" regarding "muslim" and "Wright," right? Do you still need to see President Obama's birth certificate? Of course, FoxNews has been "fair and balanced" about all that, huh? NOT!

October 10, 2011 at 6:32 am |
  5. myklds

It's the other religions/people who are branding as Mormons, maybe because of the Book of Mormon that we belive as the second testament of Jesus Christ.

We call ourselves as Latter Day Saints (LDS). We believe the Bible as the word of God. We believe Jesus Christ as the only begotten Son of our Heavenly Father, our Saviour, Lord and the Redeemer.

We are monogamous; we give high regard and treat our Young Women as well as our Relief Society with utmost respect and love; we have black brethren who is holding (high) positions in the church; and we are different from Fundamantalists Latter Day Saints (FLDS).

FYI..

October 10, 2011 at 5:28 am |

I'm Mitt Romney and I support this message

October 10, 2011 at 5:31 am |

FLDS where have I hear that before hmmm? Warren Jeffs? let me google that

October 10, 2011 at 5:33 am |
    • kimsland

we give high regard and treat our Young Women ... with utmost respect and love
      I just want to be clear here. You still think that young women (ie kids) are going to burn in Hell for eternity if they don't believe in your religion?
      You guys are the most disrespectful people anywhere (apart from those Islam idiots)

October 10, 2011 at 5:38 am |
    • Brandon

@ kimsland- Where do you get that kids will burn in hell for eternity if they don't believe in this religion?

October 10, 2011 at 5:43 am |
    • myklds

@Kim

Kindly read again the statement that you've quoted from post and give a little attention to the word "our".

October 10, 2011 at 5:48 am |
    • kimsland

Oh I see 'our' now.
      I was a bit confused but now I understand that you still hate everyone in the world except you lot.
      Got it.

October 10, 2011 at 5:50 am |
    • DiscipleofElijah

Watch a couple of young Mormon Missionaries get "schooled" by a black Christian.

w w w dot youtube dot com/watch?v=kMP2ILjmQrg

October 10, 2011 at 6:10 am |
    • myklds

@kim

If that's how you see it, I can do nothing about it. But then, I would suggest that you should return that brain you borrowed from the fiery fly.

October 10, 2011 at 6:25 am |
    • Bot

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints believe that all who accept Jesus Christ as their Savior and live a virtuous life, regardless of their affiliation in this life, will be able to dwell with Jesus Christ in the eternities. Now contrast that theology with the Evangelicals who believe that anyone who doesn't accept "their version of Jesus" will burn in Hell. Which theology is more Christian?

October 10, 2011 at 7:01 am |
  6. Bruce Mucklin

Having a big mouth and going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car!

October 10, 2011 at 5:27 am |
  7. Mirosal

Let's see now ... 1890, the Mormons outlaw polygamy because of a "divine message", when actually it was to appease the Congress so that Utah could be granted statehood. .. 1970's, the Mormons lift the "curse" against blacks because of a "divine message" when it was really the realization that every human had the same rights no matter what skin color they have. and NOW they re-write their own HOLY text to make themselves seem like they never had any bigotry or prejudice at all. Yep, that's how you run elections. Now let's see the cult leaders in Salt Lake City try to erase the memories of millions of Americans who know what that book has said all along. They better have a really big neurolyzer!!

October 10, 2011 at 5:27 am |
    • Bob R., Maryland

What church hasn't changed their doctrine to fit the times? Roman Catholic mass was said in Latin when I was a child and the Host was NEVER handed to those receiving it, the Host was handled ONLY by the Priests. But considering where some of their hands have been, that change was for the better

October 10, 2011 at 6:04 am |
  8. Mark Yelka

Facts: Mormons believe they are the only true church. They have a prophet who receives new revelations from god just like the prophets of old. No coffee, no tea, no gay people. They are law abiding. When the laws are reformed to allow polygamy, they will resume this practice. No diversity, no opinions are allowed. I was a member: I know.

October 10, 2011 at 5:20 am |
    • Sircuts

Thank you for helping to shed the light on the truth Mark...

October 10, 2011 at 5:23 am |
    • Henry

Every church and every religion belives that only they have the right acces to the god and you should pray with them ... for a fee. It is up to us to stop the politicians and tell them, we don't care where you pray but please, stop bragging about it. Just be compentent in everything else but the religion. Europe was praying for thousand years and it is called dark ages now! The church was nothing else then power interests with connection to god. Lets not take this country down that road.

October 10, 2011 at 5:42 am |
    • myklds

"When the laws are reformed to allow polygamy,they will resume this practice."

@Mark

I find it rather an as.sumption than truth.

@Sircuts

Apparently, you lacked the ability to distinguish the difference between facts and mere as.sumptions. That's pretty dangerous in your part.

October 10, 2011 at 5:42 am |
    • Sircuts

It would be less typing for you to just point out where I am wrong..oh yes you can't...you can only try to disclaim me with anything but facts.

October 10, 2011 at 6:07 am |
  9. Karloff

All religions are cults.

October 10, 2011 at 5:15 am |
  10. Rocky

Bill Bennett is a useless Blob... Only hot air comes out when he opens his mouth. As far as Mormonism is concerned. YES..it is a cult..a big one too..no different that David Koresh at the Branch Davidians or Charlie Manson and his "Family". Mind control and get as much money from its adherents as possible. I will never vote for a Mormon for any public office..EVER!!

October 10, 2011 at 5:08 am |
    • Sircuts

It amazes me how many people can fall for that crap...that is why I base my opinion of Mitt Romney not by his Mormon Beliefs, but on the basis that if he believes it to be true...he is truly gullible and not fit to run my country...The very thought of it is actually scary.

October 10, 2011 at 5:14 am |
    • Brandon

Explain the mind control they use on people. How do you know they use mind control?

October 10, 2011 at 5:19 am |
    • Omega

All religion use mind control.

October 10, 2011 at 5:22 am |
    • Sircuts

They use mind control through 24 hour abuse, suggestion, reward, and guilt...From the day they are born they are programmed. In fact Joseph Smith wrote the book on it. that is what is involved in the "secret" meetings....And it is studied and perfected at Brigham Young University by some of the most gifted psychologist and behavioral scientist in the world.

October 10, 2011 at 5:27 am |
    • Brandon

Omega – How do they use mind control?

October 10, 2011 at 5:28 am |
    • Brandon

Sicruts- You sound like a metal case. You've really convinced yourself of what you are saying? Sounds like someone has abused you and used mind control on you?

October 10, 2011 at 5:34 am |
    • Omega

If you actually believe in a magical man in the sky, you were tricked into it. If I told you that I still believed in Santa, you'd think I would either be crazy, dumb, or tricked. I pick tricked.

October 10, 2011 at 5:39 am |
    • Brandon

Omega – You've been tricked out of it. Your life has no meaning. You simply don't have to worry beyond eating and sleeping.

October 10, 2011 at 5:58 am |
    • Cult Characteristics

• Here are the characteristics of a cult:
      • Small? The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) has 14 million members in 132 countries. In America, there are more Mormons than there are Presbyterians or Jews.
      • Excessive devotion? Mormons are devoted to the Savior, but in appropriate measure He would approve of.
      • Unethical techniques? Ask the pie-throwers to name one.
      • Control by isolation? Even if Mormons wanted to, this would be impossible with 14 million members in 28,000 congregations throughout the world.
      • Control by threats? Again, evidence? Mormon missionaries may be exuberant, but do not threaten.
      • Dependency on the group? The Mormon Church is just the opposite. Mormons want members to be self-reliant and independent so they in turn can help others.
      • Powerful group pressure? Only if that’s the way the critics prefer to define love.
      • Strange? Guilty as charged. Mormons plead guilty to all the strange things that were done by Christians in New Testament times that were lost during the great falling away in the aptly named Dark Ages, among them temple worship, vicarious baptism for the dead, definition of God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit as separate but united in purpose, salvation requiring both grace and obedience to commandments, prophets and apostles, unpaid clergy, and continual revelation to guide His Church.

October 10, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  11. Mike Warren

So Mormonism isn't a cult because it has a "respected" university? (By the way, any respect for Fuller University has just taken a big hit.) In Mormonism, Jesus is the spirit brother of Satan, and God was once a man. Furthermore, men can become god. Joseph Smith wasn't a prophet; he was a cult leader.

October 10, 2011 at 5:06 am |
    • Sircuts

And black people are sinners and evil...If they repent their skin will be white again...you can't make this stuff up...Well Joseph Smith can!

October 10, 2011 at 5:16 am |
    • Theosis in the New Testament

Jesus Christ’s church must represent man’s potential correctly 1 Corinthians 8:5-6, Psalm 82, John 10:34 "If we are children (of God)," wrote the apostle Paul to the Romans (8:17, New International Version), "then we are heirs — heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ." "To him that overcometh," says the Savior to John the Revelator (3:21, KJV), "will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear."

Divinization, narrowing the space between God and humans, was also part of Early Christian belief. St. Athanasius of Alexandria (Eastern Orthodox) wrote, regarding theosis, "The Son of God became man, that we might become God." Irenaeus wrote in the late 2nd Century: “we have not been made gods from the beginning, but at first merely men, then at length gods” Justin Martyr in mid 2nd Century said: “all men are deemed worthy of becoming ‘gods,’ and of having power to become sons of the Highest” St. Jerome the translator of the Latin Vulgate Bible, (d. A.D. 419), wrote that “God made man for that purpose, that from men they may become gods. They who cease to be mere men, abandon the ways of vice, and are become perfect, are gods and sons of the Most Hig" Clement of Alexandria said worthy men "are called by the appellation of gods, being destined to sit on thrones with the other gods that have been first put in their places by the Savior." Origen in reference to 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 said "Now it is possible that some may dislike what we have said representing the Father as the one true God, but admitting other beings besides the true God, who have become gods by having a share of God . . As, then there are many gods, but to us there is but one God the Father, and many Lords, but to us there is one Lord, Jesus Christ.” The Gospel of Thomas (which pre-dates the 4 Gospels, but was considered non-canonical by the Nicene Council) quotes the Savior: "He who will drink from my mouth will become as I am: I myself shall become he, and the things that are hidden will be revealed to him," (Gospel of Thomas 50, 28-30, Nag Hammadi Library in English, J.M.Robinson, 1st ed 1977; 3rd ed. 1988) For further information on this subject, refer to http://NewTestamentTempleRitual.blogspot.com The Church of Jesus Christ (LDS) agrees with Early Christian church leaders regarding theosis.

October 10, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  12. Sircuts

I just hope the government sees them as a cult and not a religion...They launder and racketeer billions of tax free dollars in the name of "religion" so they can prop up some clown like Mitt Romney...Their founder is a child molester that claimed to be a "prophet of god" Brigham Young Was the same way...In fact they preached the same racist views for 170 years...in fact it wasn't till 2010 when they finally re-wrote The Book Of Mormon to edit out all the racism...custom build for a presidential campaign...Maybe thy are that blind but the rest of America knows..

October 10, 2011 at 5:04 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"I just hope the government sees them as a cult and not a religion..."

As Jesse Jackson said ...keep hope alive ... 🙂

October 10, 2011 at 5:07 am |
    • Jim

Andre Carson & Keith Ellison are both members of a religion who's 'prophet' married a nine year old. However, I never see any libs condemning them. Is your outrage just more lib hypocrisy?

October 10, 2011 at 5:11 am |
    • Sircuts

Andre Carson is a racist piece of crap that should be in jail...And if he was running for an office and had a write up in CNN I would be there too...Don't ever try to discredit a fact with a spin...For that reason alone the GOP is falling apart thanks to pigheaded rational thinking.

October 10, 2011 at 5:21 am |
    • Jim

It is not 'spin' to point out your bias. Harry Reed is also Morman... have you attacked him yet?

October 10, 2011 at 5:27 am |
    • slamdunk

I am unsure what you are hoping to achieve with such a statement, beyond sounding aggressive, albeit ill-informed.
      You posit that there exists a 2010 version of the Book of Mormon being published? -Strange, seeing we are almost at the end of 2011, and it has yet to be released? I suggest you check your facts. Word-vomiting like this gets taken more seriously when you can support your statement with references. Please leave a link, or point us all in the direction of this new version of the LDS canon, as no one has heard of it, seen it, or is discussing it. This includes the news outlets, the LDS Church, or its detractors.

Spin-doctoring historical points doesn't garner you a place at the table- rather, it makes those who do have valid points cringe at the obvious venom and lack of objectivity. A child molester? This type of rhetoric is commonly called sensationalism. Caricaturing a religious leader based on divergent views does not elicit change. And comparing social norms from differing time periods, cultures, and views with the current body of norms that you practice, or our culture in the US practices shows leanings of xenophobia, and possibly misanthropy. If you should lay such condemnations on one set of religious leaders, to be fair, you mast lay it on all religious leaders from every known epoch.
      Should you choose to reply, be wary of trolling further in the mire of contemptuous dialogue aimed at inflaming others: it is unlikely to cause any notable change, other than being disregarded as a hot-head who's only venting steam.

October 10, 2011 at 5:30 am |
  13. Busy Poor Dad

I've been telling people not to support Romney but not due to his religion. That is a non issue for me. I tell people not to support him because of his proposed plans.

Mormon's are as "Christian" as any other religion that follow's Christ. Their beliefs are no different than the differences between Pentecostal and Methodist.

October 10, 2011 at 5:02 am |
  14. Mirosal

ok why does CNN let me post some things, and others never appear?

October 10, 2011 at 4:59 am |

Because Mormon's have billions

October 10, 2011 at 5:05 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

There is a bad word list and one of the words in your post is blocking.

Such as "consti'tution" .. ...the CNN system see the combination of : t.i.t. and blocks the post.

October 10, 2011 at 5:06 am |
  15. dougaussie

if its big its a religion, if its small its a cult. i think mitt will be your next president. obama won't fly a second term, he said yes we can and he couldn't. perry is too out there been there done that.

October 10, 2011 at 4:59 am |
    • Sircuts

Obama is finished you are correct...But the GOP would nominate Bill Maher before they stood behind Mitt Romney ...especially after this

October 10, 2011 at 5:08 am |
  16. Henry

In a country where state is separated from church religion should not be even on a presidential debate. Same thing swearing a president on a bible like pope! I understand some people need a religion and this country is not stopping anybody from practicing ... But when I hear politicians talking and using a God to secure their power, I worry. They are nothing else then undercover Christian Taliban.

October 10, 2011 at 4:48 am |
    • Mark from Middle River

>>>"But when I hear politicians talking and using a God to secure their power, I worry."

The problem is that politicians will use anything to secure power. The other day John Stewart should pictures of almost all of the candidates at certain state fairs and they were all photographed eating corn dogs. The list of how all politicians will claim this or that because they feel you will vote for them is astonishing.

October 10, 2011 at 4:54 am |
    • All religions are one kahuna POS!

enough said! 🙂

October 10, 2011 at 4:55 am |
  17. Pork Pie

He may be part of a cult but at least hes not a muslim.

October 10, 2011 at 4:47 am |
  18. Jume

Every true and devout Christian knows that Mormons are following the teachings of a false prophet. I've read various scriptures in the book of Mormon and it is all false and reads like a fairy tale and are the inspired works of Satan much the same as the Qur'an. I've read the Qur'an and it is so false that I can not believe Muhammad was able to deceive so many people. I personally know Muslims and Mormons and most are good people. I am only against the message.

Joseph Smith is a nobody and will be held responsible by God for misleading millions of people. Who cares if they (Mormons) have universities and teachers with so many degrees they probably can't even count them. God could care less how many degrees you have or how smart you are or how big your church is. Every Christian should know that. God looks at your heart and the faith you have in his Word and the fruits of the Spirit which follow. For all of the unbelievers and heathens, don't worry as your unbelief will not stop or hinder God (it never has). If Satan is stopping you from believing, then at least live a good life. Be kind to others and help those in need. Be truthful and do good. Remember these words for one day you shall see the truth and Satan will be exposed for the liar and dirty rotten being that he his.

Everyone that has ever existed and that was ever born through all of the ages will bow down one day and confess to God. Turn back to God and His Word and the Holy Bible before it is too late.

Romans 14:11

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

As for cults, who cares? Aren't Republicans a cult? Aren't Democrats? Democracy, Communism, Socialism, it's all rotten and corrupt to the core. Everyone knows that. Just look at the condition of this country (U.S.A) or the rest of this world. Isn't any man-made organization or political system or religious system a cult? Money...power...greed...are the works of Satan because that is all that he has.

October 10, 2011 at 4:41 am |
    • Omega

I have a secret for you. All of them are false prophets. bible, book of norman, koran. It doesn't matter.

No need to discriminate over how someone worships their imaginary friend.

October 10, 2011 at 4:45 am |
    • Brandon

What of Joseph Smiths teachings are misleading?

October 10, 2011 at 5:09 am |
  19. Mirosal

Thomas, you're still telling us there's an imaginary fairy-king up in the sky. Strike one. You also say that the bible tells the truth. So a naked woman who was convinced by a talking snake to eat the fruit of a magical tree is a TRUE story??? Strike two. You talk about evil and emonic cults when you, by spouting from the bok of fairy tales, are a member of a cult as well. You're a hypocrite.. Strike three, you're out, go hit the showers.

October 10, 2011 at 4:40 am |
    • Eli

If your only argument is that you think all religions are a cult/fairy tales then you should stay out of the conversation. I realize that any clown can post whatever they want on the internet, but well thought out and established opinions based on evidence and logical thought are appreciated. I can respect the person that disagrees with me after reviewing all of the facts, but childish arguments akin to the kid in the back seat always asking, "are we there yet?" deserve no credit and no respect.

October 10, 2011 at 5:06 am |
    • Omega

Eli has a point.

No reason to participate in the special olympics if you're not special.

October 10, 2011 at 5:16 am |
  20. Corksoaker

I'm gonna have to call BS here. This butt-kissing by Republican-leaning evangelicals is purely political. If Reid (also Mormon) were the one running, they would still be calling Mormonism a cult. Also, these evangelicals need to get more familiar with LDS doctrine. See the (latest current revision of) the "First Vision" account...where "God" supposedly tells Joseph Smith that *all other* creeds are an "abomination" in his sight...having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof. Mormons don't consider themselves a cult. They consider their church to be the one and only true one and ALL others false, including evangelical Xtianity.

Source: Myself (ex-mormon of 27 years)

October 10, 2011 at 4:38 am |
    • Theosis in the New Testament

The Fourth Century (man-made) Creeds are not Biblically-based. . Harper’s Bible Dictionary entry on the Trinity says “the formal doctrine of the Trinity as it was defined by the great church councils of the fourth and fifth centuries is not to be found in the New Testament.”

October 10, 2011 at 7:24 am |
    • Corksoaker

Science is not Biblically-based either, which is why it's the only thing that makes sense. God did not create man...man created god. Like everything else in this universe, we came into existence accidentally and randomly...that's the glory of it. To attribute it to a god with human-like tendencies (such as Yahweh or Allah or one of the myriads of others) is just a disgrace.

October 10, 2011 at 5:17 pm |