home
RSS
October 12th, 2011

Bachmann implies Cain plan could be devil's work

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - A handful of Republican candidates took aim at Herman Cain’s 9-9-9 tax plan at Tuesday night’s presidential debate, but only one went so far as to imply it could be the devil's work.

“When you take the 9-9-9 plan and you turn it upside won, the devil is in the details," Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota said during the New Hampshire debate, alluding to the number 666, which is commonly connected to Satan.

The New Testament’s Book of Revelation identifies 666 with the mark of the beast, sometimes referred to as the antichrist or the devil.

According to the popular biblical study site biblestudytools.com, the Book of Revelation refers to two beasts, one of which “forces the worship of the antichrist and brands those who do so with the mark” of 666.

Cain, a former Godfather's Pizza executive who has recently surged in national polls, has proposed a plan to eliminate almost all national taxes and set corporate, sales and income taxes at a flat 9%.

Bachmann, a longtime evangelical Lutheran who recently left her church, is well-known for her professed deep religious convictions.

In an earlier presidential debate, Bachmann was asked about the biblical mandate that wives should submit to their husbands in an exchange that many Republicans called unfair.

"Marcus and I will be married for 33 years this September 10,” she replied. “I'm in love with him. I'm so proud of him. What submission means to us, it means respect. I respect my husband. He's a wonderful godly man and great father."

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Bible • Christianity • Herman Cain • Michele Bachmann • Politics

1. Central Scrutinizer

Look at these choices for president folks:

Michele Bachmann: (The 10 Craziest Michele Bachmann Quotes: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-10-craziest-michele-bachmann-quotes) She is crazier the Palin and that is an impressive accomplishment! Christian Creep.

Herman Cain: In October 2011, Herman Cain described the Occupy Wall Street movement as "un-American". He further stated, "I don’t have facts to back this up, but I happen to believe that these demonstrations are planned and orchestrated to distract from the failed policies of the Obama administration. Yeah, why bother with facts.

Newt Gingrich: His own party has turned him into a political outcast.

Ron Paul: Ron Paul doesn’t know if he is Libertarian or a librarian, but at least he speaks his mind. Which is exactly why he is un-electable.

Rick Perry: Regards evolution as a theory. I could go on but nuff said. Please oh please now more Dubya’s!!

Mitt Romney: Cultist (they all are) but he lies about his faith. I once said, "Well, we’re going to have to hang the ‘Obama Misery Index’ around his neck." Nice.

The others will withdraw so I won't bother with them. The biggest problem is, they ALL just come off STUPID (because they are).

Sure Obama is learning on the job, but I believe he is the real deal If the republicans would stop blocking him at every turn and be part of the solution rather than the problem, This could be a very successful 2 term presidency. And he is presiding over one of the toughest eras in our country’s young history.

Additionally, no matter what happens in the elections. Unless you are rich and/or willing to be on the take AND Christian or pretending to be, you can't get anywhere in Washington. That is bad because it omits the huge surplus of knowledgeable, intelligent and morally sound people we have in our great country from wanting to run for office. That is why we have that mess if idiots running for president!!!!

October 12, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

I will revote Barrack Obama into office. He is the best President we have ever had. Period.

October 12, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  2. David

Who ever wrote this should be fired immediately. It is disgusting that such a "prestigious" news organization would allow this completely false interpretation of the event. It was clearly a JOKE. And it is disgusting how the author of this bit is taking it as her actually believing that this plan is the devils work. Shame on you!

October 12, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
    • Dr.K.

I agree that she was trying to make a joke, but I think the fact that she has 666 on the brain says something very unfunny about the bizarre world of angels and demons that underlie her thoughts.

October 12, 2011 at 11:30 pm |
    • myweightinwords

As a joke, it falls pretty flat.

And, it does, in fact, point to her character, to how she sees the world. These are important things for voters to know and see.

If she doesn't mean for us to see them, maybe she should step back into the shadows, and not be running for President.

October 13, 2011 at 10:36 am |
  3. clwyd

Bachmann is a nut job and she will make up anything to get in office. Although this is a coincidence or is it? The republican party is the party of evil so having someone representing the Devil is possible!

October 12, 2011 at 7:50 pm |
  4. Aaron

Cain's plan is a bunch of nonsense to further get rich people out of paying taxes. However, Bachmann is one looney heifer. She'll likely show up with holy water and crucifixes at the next debate and exorcise the devil out of the repubs. Unforts, holy water will give her 3rd degree burns. Pot kettle black.

October 12, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • fred

Aaron
      Only 9 out of the wealthest top 25 policicians are republicans. Looks like you bought the party line that hooks the poor then reels them in.

October 12, 2011 at 7:48 pm |
    • MarkinFL

Yet the dem. party is ready to tax the richest.

October 13, 2011 at 10:39 am |
  5. garc

Palin may have dropped out, but thank God (pardon the pun) we do still have some comic relief.

October 12, 2011 at 7:36 pm |
  6. Snoozie

Could there be any better argument for the separation of church and state than this utterance?

October 12, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
  7. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Betcha herbalicious will vote for her cause he think she's HAWT.

October 12, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh sweetie, you're still trying to be me, but it'll never happen. I love you too, but only on the internet. We can't have a real relationship.

October 12, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  8. Jerry

And some people wonder why she is done as a candidate.

October 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  9. *frank*

When you turn Michele Bachman upside down, she looks basically the same.

October 12, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
  10. Tak

Thank you Michelle Bachmann for recognizing Satan's work. Funny though, for some reason I always thought you would point to a Democrat and not a Republican Tea Partier as Satan's lackey. I guess the rich are easier to subvert since they have already substuituted money for God and suffer from excess (and unwarranted) pride.

October 12, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  11. dina

A certifiable nut case who mixes religion with politics which is not kosher.How did the Republican party get such idiots running for president. She needs to go back home and be a Sunday school teacher if she loves her religion so much and get out of Washington.What an idiot.

October 12, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  12. prouddem

Herman stupid Cain is about the biggest idiot I have ever seen. He is totally laughable and a disgrace to african americans.

October 12, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Anthony Heyward

Amen, I can't stand this guy. He is so being used but is too cornfed and ignorant. Hey Herman, the tea party racist will never vote for you, they dont want Obama and they dont want you. You'll see that yes "racism does actually exist". The only reaosn your color has not been attacked is because most republican know you have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the republican nomination. Pardon me prouddem, I'm a bit longwinded when passionate.

October 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  13. Actually...

@mike- Of course she won't answer the question, and did you know that even Jesus did not answer some questions that he was asked by those that would misconstrue his answers? As for the second part of your post, sounds like you are talking about the current president.

October 12, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Nah

"...even Jesus did not answer some questions that he was asked by those that would misconstrue his answers"

"Divine" answers would not have the possibility of being misconstrued.

October 12, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  14. God

I am real. I am more real than all of you. There is nothing more real than me.

October 12, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
    • Nah

You can't be it. The real "God" speaks only ancient Hebrew and maybe a little Arabic.

October 12, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  15. Evil Lizard Man from the 99th Dimension

I'm happy to inform you that I too am quite real!

October 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm |
  16. The Devil

I'm real!

October 12, 2011 at 5:48 pm |
    • Loch Ness Monster

Me too!

October 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm |
    • A Small Gnome

I am also real. Really!

October 12, 2011 at 5:50 pm |
    • Harvey the 6'3.5 Invisible Rabbit

Me too!

"Uh, well, t-t-thats his name!"

October 12, 2011 at 5:55 pm |
    • Michele Bachmann

I'm not real.

October 12, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  17. Mommy!!! Mommy!!!

Make the Christians go away!!!

October 12, 2011 at 5:47 pm |
  18. malcolm in St Louis

let's just assume she is confused and meant 69, another good number.

October 12, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  19. Thomas

I just ordered the 9.99 large combo pizza, it was delivered to my door in less then 30 minutes. I was salivating at the thought of eating a hot slice. However , when I opened the box , I was shocked , there was no pizza , just a tooth pic !

I had a very similar experience in Aug . I ordered a Michele Bachmann Iowa corn dog dipped in golden mustard. On taking my first and only bite . My teeth sunk into a frozen corn covered meat tube on a stick. I was so angry , I had paid for a classic only to have been deceived by a Popsicle on a stick.

What I'm convinced of is the GOB has no understanding of food or god !

October 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm |
    • Central Scrutinizer

Please do not post again unless you have something to add to the conversation.

October 12, 2011 at 11:18 pm |
  20. Mike

When asked about submission of wives to husbands, she failed to answer the question. She continues to do that on so many questions to which she does not have an answer prepared by someone esle. She is not very bright and completely unqualified for any office.

October 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Mike
      "your life will come to an end and you can do nothing at all to prevent it."

That didn't stop Dubya.